Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13356 replies to this topic

#6951 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:02

Very true! As an indication that a simple illusration can be a pleasure to do, here is a Penske 7300 Series damper - the chance to draw small items quite large and get the airbrush out. This was done the same size as a car or engine cutaway, as the original was destined to me framed and hung in the Penske Shocks emporium, along with it's partner, posted earlier. It meant the knurling and surface finish could be done in some detail.

Posted Image

Interesting, since the first piece I ever did with an airbrush was an adjustable street shock absorber. Did it as my project for the second half of a little 8-week adult school class, the first half of which was spent blowing bubbles with my Iwata airbrush. The shock was a trial just to see how to do this stuff. It would not be something that I would show, but it showed me a little control over the color, which I tended to lay on too heavily, and various things. It ended up looking OK, but I threw it away after we finished the class. I ended up with another piece about 6 weeks later of a dry sump, multistage oil pump that came out pretty well, considering I had never done another piece in color prior to that.
Tom West

Advertisement

#6952 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:19

1985 MG Metro 6R4. Artist unknown.

Posted Image

#6953 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:47

1949 Kurtis-Kraft 3000 Offenhauser. Artist unknown.

Posted Image

Edited by helioseism, 17 November 2010 - 05:18.

#6954 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:18

Coventry-Climax FWMV engine by Porter.

Posted Image

#6955 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:30

The Napier Nomad: sufficiently complex to have required the work of three cutaway artists!
Posted Image

#6956 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:27

The Napier Nomad: sufficiently complex to have required the work of three cutaway artists!
Posted Image

Lovely! Something to get your illustrating teeth into!

Obviously the piston engine is used for normal forward flight, and the gas turbine in the event of a frontal attack.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 17 November 2010 - 11:30.

#6957 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:36

... blowing bubbles with my Iwata airbrush.

Happy memories!

#6958 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 13:36

The speculative cutaway of Sukhoi PAK-FA T-50, the new Russian steath fighter, drawing provisional by:
"http://Planeman-bluf...e.blogspot.com"

Posted Image

#6959 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 13:51

Coventry-Climax FWMV engine by Porter.

Posted Image

Is it me, or is this quite a unique viewpoint to have been used by Porter for this kind of thing? I really like it. It is almost as if he has just sort of erased the car from its surrounded engine.

Advertisement

#6960 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 14:27

Is it me, or is this quite a unique viewpoint to have been used by Porter for this kind of thing? I really like it. It is almost as if he has just sort of erased the car from its surrounded engine.

Dunno about unique. Most cutaway viewpoints, particularly for engines, are a bit of a compromise. This angle works well for certain aspects of the internal gubbins, not quite so well for others. It also depends on how the illustration originated - if it was based on one supplied photograph from that angle, and the deadline was tight - almost a given - then there wasn't much option. There are two ways of approaching an engine cutaway, use an overall shot as an outline and work inwards, or start with a blank sheet of card and work outwards from the crankshaft centreline. If you do this you have complete control over placement of vital bits, if you are able to take your own photographs, and you have some co-operation from the guys in the engine shop, you can choose the angle, even take several slightly different ones and choose the most appropriate later. You just have to be able to look through the viewfinder and check that the crankshaft, a camshaft (where there is one) and auxiliary drives are not all on the same centre-line.

If you have an end elevation, you can pick a path, the 'sight-line', for want of a better term, that misses all the important bits. That gives you the angle from the side, you can then choose an angle from thre front that works well, and Bob's your monkey's uncle. It's always nice to have a drawing or two, even just a three-view GA, but it can all be done without if necessary - just more headaches.

#6961 arm

arm

• 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 14:55

I am sure I've seen Tony "Pencils" Mathews contributing to this Forum, so maybe he'll pick up on this thread. When I was at CSS we commissioned Tony to do many cutaways for clients like JPS and even some some non-motorsports subjects. Seem to remember he did an oil ring for a Texaco magazine we produced. In my office I have his original of a Durex Surtees and several other originals including a JPS Lotus 79.

Tony is a fantastic talent aand although he has always called them technical drawings , I believe they are true art.

I haven't seen him in ages , but when we were youngsters at Motoring News, he was quite a holigan when you got him down the pub. Great guy and tremendous talent, wonder if he ever finished restoring that bubble car he started on 25 years ago !

#6962 arm

arm

• 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 14:56

Now I see, he is contributing. Pencils you#re a star.

#6963 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 15:01

I am sure I've seen Tony "Pencils" Mathews contributing to this Forum, so maybe he'll pick up on this thread. When I was at CSS we commissioned Tony to do many cutaways for clients like JPS and even some some non-motorsports subjects. Seem to remember he did an oil ring for a Texaco magazine we produced. In my office I have his original of a Durex Surtees and several other originals including a JPS Lotus 79.

Tony is a fantastic talent aand although he has always called them technical drawings , I believe they are true art.

I haven't seen him in ages , but when we were youngsters at Motoring News, he was quite a holigan when you got him down the pub. Great guy and tremendous talent, wonder if he ever finished restoring that bubble car he started on 25 years ago !

Hello old chap! What a pleasure! Many happy memories, and I know going off-thread is not encouraged, but I'm sure I'll be able to slip the odd bit of memorabilia under the radar! I sold the bubble-car, and miss it a bit, but I had too many projects on the go, including a divorce, so the bubble has gone up, up and away... Still got too many projects, come to think of it!

Posted Image

That'll have to do, before I get into trouble.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 17 November 2010 - 15:30.

#6964 terrance trump

terrance trump

• 30 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 16:08

Nice to see the Corsair again, helio, tyres stippled by yours truly, back in the mists of time.

The Brabham should be pointing down to the left corner, at about 40°, rather than horizontal, but thanks for finding it.

Edited to say, possibly a bit less than 40°. Tyres by me again, I've just realised! No wonder I felt tyred all the time.

Seeing the old Ford again has reminded me of a story I heard back in the 70's. There was a competition to see how many cars some women could put between their legs. The winner was a woman with 2000 Corsairs. Bit of a play on words there. I hope it brightens your day.

#6965 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 16:44

Seeing the old Ford again has reminded me of a story I heard back in the 70's. There was a competition to see how many cars some women could put between their legs. The winner was a woman with 2000 Corsairs. Bit of a play on words there. I hope it brightens your day.

:up: I bet the wind whistled when a Zephyr was passing...

#6966 madmad64

madmad64

• 26 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 17:55

xxxPosted Image

#6967 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 18:44

Hi mm64, I can't find your original post, I think it was of the same car but with less detail - in which case you have been busy! Well done!

#6968 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 19:58

Yay Madmad64! Something modern!

#6969 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 20:14

Happy memories!

Tony, While I have always had these images of your complete excellence in all efforts artistic, I find it interesting that you indicate that this might not be so. I pictured you emerging like Venus on the Shell in fully formed skill and talent, as this is what I saw when I first noticed your work. To think that you had to figure out that damned airbrush really rocks my world.
I can still remember coming home after three weeks at this little course that I took, and not having been able to get just the lines and swirls exercises done, while everyone in the place was on doing other projects. Came home after that third class (taking about 4-hours each), and telling my wife that I was going to have a talk with that damned airbrush and was going to do this before the night was over. Went upstairs, set up everything, and had a further talk with the airbrush. Said that I hadn't paid all that much for it, and it could be easily replaced. Fired it up, and it worked, and never stopped.
Easy as that. Of course, my skills with it were pretty marginal, so I worked on that, but never had that lack of confidence over whether it would again work.
If I misinterpreted your comment, and you actually never had the problem, I am sorry .. thought we had a connection at a point of incompetence; somehow a special connection ...
Tom West

#6970 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 20:22

:up: I bet the wind whistled when a Zephyr was passing...

Think I can hear the flapping from here ... sort of a raspberry type of sound, isn't it???
Tom West

#6971 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:40

If I misinterpreted your comment, and you actually never had the problem, I am sorry .. thought we had a connection at a point of incompetence; somehow a special connection ...
Tom West

Of course I had problems Tom, I may indeed have arisen in the form of a slightly hirsute Venus, and the shell more like a coracle, but all I used an airbrush for initially was applying flat colour. This graduated - oops - to variations in tone, then masking and trying to get some definite form. The breakthrough was reading about maskless, free-hand airbrushing, and loose masks. That took a while to - well, I nearly said 'master', there's no way I am a master of the airbrush - get some sort of handle on it, and my ability, such as it is, got me by. Not without sweat, fear and trembling, mind you, and sometimes several attempts. When I started the Ilmor Mercedes 500I cutaway, a day and a half pressing through and half a day's airbrushing went in the bin. The top of the plenum chamber still upsets me when I see it, and as it is on the wall outside the bathroom, it upsets me frequently. Hooray for a fully-functioning prostate and bladder, or the picture would have to move. The thing is Tom, I don't give up easily, unless it is a digital process, when quite frankly I just don't care.

It does help to have small, less important illustrations to practice on, as I rarely felt inclined to do a test piece just for the hell of it, but every time I improved on a small job I thought, I can do better on the next BIG job.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 17 November 2010 - 22:41.

#6972 madmad64

madmad64

• 26 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:45

the car is draw in photoshop and it can be upgrade but i don t like it
in this little image a render whit pod a right side of steering
but i hate this cut
Posted Image

#6973 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 23:33

Think I can hear the flapping from here ... sort of a raspberry type of sound, isn't it???
Tom West

More like the moist rustle of a flounder escaping the inquisitive whiskers of a hungry walrus - the silken sigh of the skin of the eel as it succumbs to the deadly jaws of the reed trap - the falling note of a newly-ringed piston as it descends a freshly honed and oiled cylinder - the frantic thrum of a startled pheasant, but without the hoarse, raucous screeching, unless she's got a serious problem...

#6974 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 00:18

More like the moist rustle of a flounder escaping the inquisitive whiskers of a hungry walrus - the silken sigh of the skin of the eel as it succumbs to the deadly jaws of the reed trap - the falling note of a newly-ringed piston as it descends a freshly honed and oiled cylinder - the frantic thrum of a startled pheasant, but without the hoarse, raucous screeching, unless she's got a serious problem...

Gents, I'm a bit stressed for time. Mother at 88 needs quite some attention
then there is the family brigade of youff occupying pc-s, so I can't access me scanner
I am keeping track through the office pc so iI know everbody is doing a great job posting, werks and helio are the new beasts on the block !!
Bizznizz here is great .Just to contradict most bizznizz news we are hitting 200 % greater turnover and profits compared to 2008 !!
I'll be back with good Allington/Berris and Hatton stuff, can't find find any more of this Tony guy's stuff anymore......just bear with this posting dip I am having
all typo errors are due to th e two Singha beers I had so ..........E&EO... or whatever they say in the official stuff. .. brrp :yawnface:

#6975 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 00:22

Tony.. what poetry!......you write as you draw !, just imagine the silken skin of an eel escaping THE INQUISITIVE WHISKERS OF A HUNGRY WALRUS
scary ? hmm happens everyday !! hahah............you have a way with words as you have with paintbrush strokes!!!
Matthews ! is he a poet ? an artist ?.....or a gift to us ?

Edited by macoran, 18 November 2010 - 00:31.

#6976 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:17

Yes, very much more melodic and evocative than my crude description. I was more going for concise, I think.
I have to say that if this situation exists, it will be much larger and slower vibrations than most of what you describe .. but this is more enticing, I admit.
Notice that nobody else is touching this subject ...
Tom West

#6977 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:36

1985 MG Metro 6R4. Artist unknown.

Posted Image

there is a signature - looks like "... Jones" to me, but not one of the Jones that I know
Posted Image
By simplebrother at 2010-11-17

#6978 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:10

there is a signature - looks like "... Jones" to me, but not one of the Jones that I know
Posted Image
By simplebrother at 2010-11-17

This is a B&W version of a colour cutaway by Terry Harmer and AN Other - I cannot remember the other illustrator's name - and I think this is Terry Harmer's work. I assume that one did the drawing, the other the colour, but I could be wrong. Any road up, the white-on-black squiggle looks like 'Harmer' to me. I could be wrong...

#6979 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 14:05

This is a B&W version of a colour cutaway by Terry Harmer and AN Other - I cannot remember the other illustrator's name - and I think this is Terry Harmer's work. I assume that one did the drawing, the other the colour, but I could be wrong. Any road up, the white-on-black squiggle looks like 'Harmer' to me. I could be wrong...

I think the double act is Harmer and Allerston. (Of RS200 fame no less).

Advertisement

#6980 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 14:10

Gents, I'm a bit stressed for time. Mother at 88 needs quite some attention
then there is the family brigade of youff occupying pc-s, so I can't access me scanner
I am keeping track through the office pc so iI know everbody is doing a great job posting, werks and helio are the new beasts on the block !!
Bizznizz here is great .Just to contradict most bizznizz news we are hitting 200 % greater turnover and profits compared to 2008 !!
I'll be back with good Allington/Berris and Hatton stuff, can't find find any more of this Tony guy's stuff anymore......just bear with this posting dip I am having
all typo errors are due to th e two Singha beers I had so ..........E&EO... or whatever they say in the official stuff. .. brrp :yawnface:

Nah! not me. Merely keeping it ticking over, until you and Tom get back to opening up those folders again. (Besides, gaining much, much more than I could ever contribute).

Edited by werks prototype, 18 November 2010 - 14:12.

#6981 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 14:16

Posted Image
Alfa Romeo eight-cylinder 'Monoposto' P3 Race engine. By Leslie Cresswell.

Confirmation that the racing engine posted on page 167 is indeed by the hand of Cresswell, via this red 'highlighted' version.

Edited by werks prototype, 18 November 2010 - 14:17.

#6982 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 14:22

Posted Image
AJS 7R single-overhead-cam engine. (Rather painterly) By Terry Collins.

Posted Image
AJS 'Big Port' 349cc. 1923. By Bruno Betti. Not a cutaway. (It seems he did an awful lot of bikes in this way).

#6983 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 14:26

Posted Image
A 'lump'. Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost engine. By Max Millar.

#6984 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 14:49

These are for Cam2InfoNeeded

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Hope they are of some help!

(P.S, Doug, I checked out your site, http://dougswitz.com...ModProject.aspx It is interesting what you are trying to do there, but it is a shame that you have to do it in the first place, if you know what I mean, in light of the levels of accuracy advertised by said company. I reckon you should just present them with 'your' version as soon as it is done.)

#6985 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 22:05

Osella FA1C by Paolo D'Alessio

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 170 - post 6776 => part A - post 6777 => part B

Edited by ibsenop, 18 November 2010 - 22:16.

#6986 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 22:20

A 'lump'. Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost engine. By Max Millar.

Excellent engine in 1907, but by 1926...? :rolleyes:
Reminds me of the Mortein advertisement - "when you're on a good thing, stick to it", but not for too long: the Holden red motor went on and on when much better donks were produced for the same body shell in the UK & Europe. Plenty of similar examples with other makes.

#6987 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,034 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:46

Posted Image

Lovely! Something to get your illustrating teeth into!

Obviously the piston engine is used for normal forward flight, and the gas turbine in the event of a frontal attack.

Er, thanks to the proficiency of the illustrator you can see the gear drive from the gas turbine heading up to the infinitely variable drive which feeds the turbine's power into the propellor.
If you think of the gas turbine bit, between the compressor and the turbine the main diesel engine acted as the combustion chamber . . .
Getting one's head around the Nomad II has always been difficult, but that drawing shows it was not impossible.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 19 November 2010 - 08:51.

#6988 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:12

Er, thanks to the proficiency of the illustrator you can see the gear drive from the gas turbine heading up to the infinitely variable drive which feeds the turbine's power into the propellor.
If you think of the gas turbine bit, between the compressor and the turbine the main diesel engine acted as the combustion chamber . . .
Getting one's head around the Nomad II has always been difficult, but that drawing shows it was not impossible.

I hope you didn't think my post was anything other than a feeble joke, Allan. A fascinating engine, not one I was familiar with, and I would have loved to have illustrated it. However, you can only do what comes your way...
The three illustrators involved - I can't make out their names, but Marsden might be one - did a fine job.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 19 November 2010 - 11:12.

#6989 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 115 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:33

didn't think ... post was anything other than a feeble joke

i thought it funny because it expressed my inability to make head or tail of it pretty well, myself.
i think it's the 'multiplicity of image' that is going to require a great deal of quiet contemplation at maximum enlargement - and a lot of concurrent reading and research.
( just the thought of the sabre still makes me queasy, and a certain bristol brings on nightmares....)

#6990 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:33

...and a certain bristol brings on nightmares....)

Dunno about 'Bristols' bringing on nightmares...

...but then you have to know some Cockney rhyming slang!

#6991 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 115 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 13:14

Dunno about 'Bristols' bringing on nightmares...

...but then you have to know some Cockney rhyming slang!

(wasn't there a dream sequence in a Woody Allen,being chased, a la goodies, by a giant disembodied...) no, you're right it was no bristol - this thing that which i now can't identify - looks like a HR Giger piece - would be terrifying in the right chiarascuro ...
Posted Image

Edited by fnqvmuch, 19 November 2010 - 13:29.

#6992 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 13:35

Posted Image

My mum used to have one of those - it's a 'Spong' mincer. As you can see, you clamp it to the kitchen table and it transforms offcuts of tough meat into tough mince. God, the '40s and '50s were fun...

#6993 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 13:49

Osella FA1C by Paolo D'Alessio

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 170 - post 6776 => part A - post 6777 => part B

Thanks once again Ibsen for such diligence!

(Despite the reality of the situation, my brain insists that your avatar has also recently morphed into a Harrods liveried McLaren. (And that is no reflection on your drawing) There is nothing I can do about it.)

#6994 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 16:04

My avatar changed to the Angi Munhoz's Porsche 907 of Bino Motoradio Team (Brazil).

#6995 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 17:15

Excellent engine in 1907, but by 1926...? :rolleyes:
Reminds me of the Mortein advertisement - "when you're on a good thing, stick to it", but not for too long: the Holden red motor went on and on when much better donks were produced for the same body shell in the UK & Europe. Plenty of similar examples with other makes.

:up:

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith. By John Ferguson.

#6996 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 22:15

...If you think of the gas turbine bit, between the compressor and the turbine, the main diesel engine acted as the combustion chamber . . .

Spot on, Alan - my attitude to the Nomad has become.. what a magnificent piece of mechanical complexity and engineering but - why bother with all those heavy & hot bits whizzing back and forth just to generate hot gas for the turbine! Chuck 'em, and equip it with proper combustors!
I think one experiment(?) tried with it was to inject extra fuel into the turbine for extra power - at the expense of what the whole thing was aiming at: lowest possible specific fuel consumption. Ah, Napiers: something very special indeed.

#6997 PJGD

PJGD

• 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 23:15

onelung; I think that Chatterton explains quite well in this file here why the Nomad is the way it is: click-here

Oh, and Tony, the three illustrious illustrators of the Nomad engine are: R.E. Poulton, F. Munger, and John Marsden.

PJGD

Edited by PJGD, 19 November 2010 - 23:21.

#6998 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 23:20

onelung; I think that Chatterton explains quite well in this file here why the Nomad is the way it is:

Oh, and Tony, the three illustrious illustrators of the Nomad engine are: R.E. Poulton, F. Munger, and John Marsden.

PJGD

Thanks. Now you tell me, I can make out F. Munger, but R.E. Poulton I would not have got.

#6999 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 23:33

onelung; I think that Chatterton explains quite well in this file here why the Nomad is the way it is: click-here
PJGD

Thanks for that link - what a fascinating and detailed article: I can see now how low level operation was an important factor!
I wonder if you know of any articles which do justice to the career and works of one of England's truly great engineers, A.J. Rowledge - a Napier man become Rolls Royce.
Regards, Geoff.

Advertisement

#7000 PJGD

PJGD

• 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 23:38

No, I don't know of a good bio for A.J.R.

I suggest that you do what I do (and where the Nomad file came from) is to do a search in the Flight Archives: http://www.flightglo...hive/index.html

PJGD