Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13381 replies to this topic

#7301 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 15:30

1974 Lotus 76/JPS1. It was of course JPS sponsored, featured prominent Duckhams Q, and was replaced mid season by the old faithful Lotus 72D. The original design was from Giugiar's Ital Design (I have an original scan to that extend), but since it was not a race winner it became rather obscure. It is simply a gorgeous design nevetheless.

There was a Lotus 76 at the Stavelot Museum at Spa. It may still be there.

Advertisement

#7302 theglenster

theglenster

• 33 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 15:53

i wish a happy new year to all of cutaway land :)

here is a cool link containing about 500 cutaways of a wide range of interesting subjects.

http://www.flickrive...ol/interesting/

there has been some realy interesting stuff posted and discussed, thanks to everyone!.

going back a few pages to the rolls royce stuff, there was also a large drawing office (technical publications) in filton, bristol. I had a 2 week work experience placement there when i was about 13 years old, which cemented my resolve to become a technical illustrator.
they were not doing any colour stuff at the time , just line work for the the tornado and harrier. but they did earlyer, the air lines are still to be seen running through the studio. they even fired up the generator for me to have a go at airbrushing one of the line drawings that i had drawn in trimetric, every thing there was drawn in trimetric. to me a while though to get my head around the forshortening with trimetric!
what was very special, was being alowed into the archives and look through all the old airbrushed jet engine cutaways, magical!

Edited by theglenster, 03 January 2011 - 16:50.

#7303 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 18:11

here is a cool link containing about 500 cutaways of a wide range of interesting subjects.

It puzzles me that people can post stuff that is not theirs, with their username under it, and no credit to the original illustrator. A rather sad way of getting noticed.

#7304 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 19:38

I take Tony's point entirely. Even so, the Ferrari Daytona by Bruno Betti appeared to be raw material particularly worth rescuing. I don't believe that it has been posted here before(?)
Posted Image

#7305 Dutchy4C

Dutchy4C

• 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 19:42

Thanks. It is a bit difficult for me to get to that since I am in California, but I will put out my feelers to see if anyone I know is going there anytime soon.

#7306 Dutchy4C

Dutchy4C

• 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 20:33

I managed to win the new Red Bull X1 and did an extensive detail photo shoot of it at Car Design TV:
http://www.cardesign...-bull-x1-x2010/
I hope you all like.

#7307 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 00:35

It puzzles me that people can post stuff that is not theirs, with their username under it, and no credit to the original illustrator. A rather sad way of getting noticed.

I may be mistaken Tony, but that site looks like it is open to posters who find stuff and put it up on the intenet. The names unders the pics do not ( I think) in anyway make a claim of ownership, rather of poster identification.
Which ever way I am as great a sinner as any other, and to tell the truth I am still amazed Twinny never shut us down ages ago.
We are probably creditting the right people !

#7308 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:24

I may be mistaken Tony, but that site looks like it is open to posters who find stuff and put it up on the intenet. The names unders the pics do not ( I think) in anyway make a claim of ownership, rather of poster identification.
Which ever way I am as great a sinner as any other, and to tell the truth I am still amazed Twinny never shut us down ages ago.
We are probably creditting the right people !

Marc, I don't have a problem with people posting artwork that is not theirs - how could I? It's just that no effort has been made to credit an illustrator, or even say "unknown". That's all, I'm not having a rant! Keep on trucking, and happy New Year.

#7309 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,076 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:41

Thanks. It is a bit difficult for me to get to that since I am in California, but I will put out my feelers to see if anyone I know is going there anytime soon.

You got a PM.

#7310 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 14:42

Came across this on Jalopnik - can't quite make out the artist - even on the bigger image the page links to...

http://jalopnik.com/...-that-never-was

Posted Image

#7311 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 14:44

Came across this on Jalopnik - can't quite make out the artist - even on the bigger image the page links to...

Posted Image

Pretty certain it's a Betti, but which brother? I will check the larger image when I can access the webpage.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 04 January 2011 - 14:45.

#7312 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,076 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 16:13

Pretty certain it's a Betti, but which brother? I will check the larger image when I can access the webpage.

I posted/linked that drawing before. It's Bruno Betti.

PS: what might look like some fantasy drawing was real. They had that thing running...for whatever reason.

#7313 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 16:20

Sorry about that - I felt sure I'd found something new. Ah well, happy new year, I'll try harder next time. (Glad they built it, the world needs these bonkers ideas - my Grandad was involved with the twini minis - he said the gearboxes were a bit tricky)

#7314 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 16:24

I posted/linked that drawing before. It's Bruno Betti.

PS: what might look like some fantasy drawing was real. They had that thing running...for whatever reason.

VW had several twin engined cars in R&D at Wolfsburg - I saw them! They were generally painted in fluorescent red/pink!

I know of the Scirocco, but also a Golf/Jetta and Passat. I'm not sure why they built them, but I think it had something to do with a 4WD programme running alongside the Audi Quattro.

Kim Mather also raced and rallied his self built twin engined Scirocco with great effect in the 80's.

Edited by alansart, 04 January 2011 - 17:18.

#7315 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 17:08

[quote name='smarjoram' date='Jan 4 2011, 07:42' post='4776637']

Hi All
Happy New Year to all who live in Cutawayland! It's a special holiday for me as it's also my birthday.

I could not access the Jalopnik page either but I did find what is probably the origin page. Try this link as it contains the cutaway along with a good writeup about the CARS - Yes there were two built!

http://www.driversfo...istory/bimotor/

Cheers
Joe

#7316 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 17:13

Hi All
Happy New Year to all who live in Cutawayland! It's a special holiday for me as it's also my birthday.

Well done Joe, Happy Birthday, I would send you a cigar if I had one, and if smoking wasn't bad for you...

#7317 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:24

Tony
Thanks much.
I Guess you'll just have to draw me a cigar and post it. That way I can't expose myself to the smoke!

Joe

#7318 theglenster

theglenster

• 33 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:31

Heres a working link:

#7319 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,076 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:32

Tony
Thanks much.
I Guess you'll just have to draw me a cigar and post it. That way I can't expose myself to the smoke!

Joe

Hmmm...A cigar cutaway...that would be a new one!

Until then: 2 webfinds I haven't seen here.

A submarine mine layer...

...and Queen Elisabeth II

Edited by Duc-Man, 05 January 2011 - 09:47.

Advertisement

#7320 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 76 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:47

Hi Guys.

Not sure if I have put links up of some of my latest work. Still trying to turn it from hobby to profitable work.

Fiesta S2000 SWRC now the WRC Ford entry for 2011

Jade, Open Sports Car Series

F1 Stockcar European Champion 2010

Will be at the NEC on Saturday 15th for Racing Car Show so if you spot a guy in a blck t-shirt with technical illustrations on front and back then please stop me and say hi.

all the best and Happy New Year

Edited by scorerr770, 05 January 2011 - 09:48.

#7321 theglenster

theglenster

• 33 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:10

Hi Guys.

Not sure if I have put links up of some of my latest work. Still trying to turn it from hobby to profitable work.

Fiesta S2000 SWRC now the WRC Ford entry for 2011

Jade, Open Sports Car Series

Will be at the NEC on Saturday 15th for Racing Car Show so if you spot a guy in a blck t-shirt with technical illustrations on front and back then please stop me and say hi.

all the best and Happy New Year

nice stuff scorrerr!
is it all a mix of illustrator and photoshop?
have you managed to get any comisions yet? i think it might be difficlut to just specialize on race cars, dont forget there is a whole world of engineering out there all needing tech illustrations.
but saying that im giving up freelance because ive just got a full time technical illustrator job at a well known sports car manufacturer in stuttgart!
can you also do 3d?

#7322 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:44

Excellent illustrations Roy.

The Davidsons live just down the road from me.

#7323 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 76 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:10

Excellent illustrations Roy.

The Davidsons live just down the road from me.

Many thanks for the comments, I produce a variety of illustrations daily for the MoD but nothing too exciting :well: all black and white and mostly are how to restrain euipment and vehicles in transport aircraft or how the airlift same kit by helicopter.

The Jade was a commission as owner was selling car but when it came to the costs he stuck with just external view.

The Fiesta artwork has been used by M-Sport and is on the side of the Fiesta S2000 parts trucks trailers.

How do you price this type of work that makes it affordable. Many people would love to have an illustration but only if free. And as done in spare time and take some time to produce its difficult to balance it.

So the NEC next week it will be handing out leaflets. All drawn in illustrator and mostly rendered in photoshop but smaller parts are rendered in illustrator with shadows added in photoshop.

Love the 3D stuff that can be done with that sort of software but beyond my wallet to invest and learn. Did get work showcased in Advanced photoshop last year which was nice.

Nice one theglenster with new job good luck with that .

cheers Roy

#7324 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 76 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 13:40

nice stuff scorrerr!
is it all a mix of illustrator and photoshop?
have you managed to get any comisions yet? i think it might be difficlut to just specialize on race cars, dont forget there is a whole world of engineering out there all needing tech illustrations.
but saying that im giving up freelance because ive just got a full time technical illustrator job at a well known sports car manufacturer in stuttgart!
can you also do 3d?

:wave: just noticed magic roundabout avatar. :clap: swindon where I now live.. small world.

#7325 theglenster

theglenster

• 33 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 14:55

ah yes, the magic roundabout. ive only once had the "pleasure" of going around it. i was about 18 at the time and the agency i was working for in the holidays sent me to swindon to sweep the swindon town stadium terrasses. i had a car full of people and when we saw the roundabout our jaws just droped! WTF we all said. as the stadium is just there, we new which direction to go in. so with the others keeping an eye out for the cops and other cars, i just floored it and went pretty much straight across! we went back a different way!

for anyone not knowing what we are talking about: the magic round about

#7326 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 18:43

Tony
Thanks much.

Joe

Posted Image

Have a virtual smoke on me - a rare Romeo Y Julietta Limited Edition 'Joe Kane'.

#7327 312f1

312f1

• 40 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 18:49

I don't think a V2 rocket has been posted:

http://img5.imagesha...9/v2cutaway.jpg

#7328 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 18:50

for anyone not knowing what we are talking about: the magic round about

There's one in Hemel Hempstead too, at the end of the new town centre. I used to use it a lot, and loved it - a great challenge! The locals knew how to use it, and took delight in monstering newcomers, some of whom may have needed hosing down after a trip round it.

#7329 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 18:53

Posted Image

Have a virtual smoke on me - a rare Romeo Y Julietta Limited Edition 'Joe Kane'.

...cough...cough!

Don't you know the dangers of passive smoking :smoking:

#7330 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 19:15

I know a virtual cough when I hear one Alan. You can't pull the wool over my eyes!

#7331 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 23:58

Wow! A very rare intercontinental smoke missile! I can taste the distinctive flavor of the famous Romeo Y Julietta blend. Some say it comes from the snippet of Julietta's hair purported to be included in every cigar. (Incidentally no one has ever identified where on her anatomy the hair originated.) Smoke enough of them and one can even negotiate the Magic Roundabout blindfolded - which is probably not as scary as when you can actually see the thing through your windshield. An aside: Roundabouts are coming in vogue in some Arizona towns... Not sure why...

Tony, thanks for the lovely cigar. I'm stunned to be the recipient of a Tony Matthews limited edition. It is the hottest gift I received this birthday. Of course it's also the only gift I received, save the attentions of the lovely Lady Sally, my marvelous wife.

Thank you again.
I do have some cutaways to contribute to this vast research library. I had best get my act together and start doing so.

#7332 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 00:21

So every now and then the cameraderie is better than what gets posted.!!!!
Working on an Allington splice right now, so I have just hung the do not disturb thingy on my door !

Damn!! work takes up so much of one's spare time !!!

#7333 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:59

Posted Image

"......please note the interesting angle an cigar position which Tony chose." Please forgive me, I've been drawing "cartoon animals" all day & I am more than a bit rummy. That reminds me, it's time for a dram.
Cheers!
Steve

#7334 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,961 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:52

Napier Deltic Diesel as used in Ton Class Minesweepers....and trains

Posted Image

(Origin unknown, but as it was used in ICE course on Garden Island Dockyard NSW it was probably out of the Deltic Overhaul manual)

#7335 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,259 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:41

Mike do you know how many cylinders and what capacity .

Thanks Doug
H.N.Y to you

#7336 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 15:52

and to tell the truth I am still amazed Twinny never shut us down ages ago.

I can certainly relate to that sentiment!

#7337 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 16:10

Prepare for an onslaught of the mundane!

Posted Image
GM Ultralite concept.

Posted Image
Subaru Legacy. 1991. Artist unknown.

#7338 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 16:10

Posted Image
Mazda 929L.1978. Artist unknown.

#7339 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 16:11

Posted Image
Mazda 818. Factory Illustration.

Advertisement

#7340 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted Image
Mitsubishi Colt Celeste. Factory Illustration.

#7341 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted Image
Simca 1307 1979. Factory Illustration.

#7342 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted Image
Lancia Y10. By Sidotec.

#7343 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 16:12

Posted Image
Lancia Gamma Berlina. 1978.

#7344 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted Image
Mercedes-Benz 300. 1957. Rolling chassis detail. Mercedes-Benz Illustration.

#7345 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted Image
Mercedes-Benz HGV. By Stuart McKay.

#7346 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,590 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 17:07

i wish a happy new year to all of cutaway land :)

there has been some realy interesting stuff posted and discussed, thanks to everyone!.

going back a few pages to the rolls royce stuff, there was also a large drawing office (technical publications) in filton, bristol. I had a 2 week work experience placement there when i was about 13 years old, which cemented my resolve to become a technical illustrator.
they were not doing any colour stuff at the time , just line work for the the tornado and harrier. but they did earlyer, the air lines are still to be seen running through the studio. they even fired up the generator for me to have a go at airbrushing one of the line drawings that i had drawn in trimetric, every thing there was drawn in trimetric. to me a while though to get my head around the forshortening with trimetric!
what was very special, was being alowed into the archives and look through all the old airbrushed jet engine cutaways, magical!

I had a very similar, seminal experience. Being taken to my dads drawing office in Farnborough during the summer holidays, and being plonked on a huge disused classical drawing board for the morning. I remember thinking, 'but how come everyone else here gets to play on computers'. Little did I know!

Your RR experience reminds me, I recently got hold of some sketches produced alongside RR automobile assembly workers as they went about their daily practice. They provide a really fascinating insight into the everyday goings on, on the factory floor. Foreman etc, workers referring to actual design drawings, chassis assembly etc, etc.

Edited by werks prototype, 07 January 2011 - 17:11.

#7347 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 18:23

Hello all
I had this epiphany that may or may not be news to any of the rest of you, but I feel the need to share it just in case.

As a late comer to this party - I arrived in early 2010 - I spent a few months reading the entire thread. Looking back through the archived posts on this forum I was, of course, immediately struck by the quantity and quality of cutaway art displayed. Then a slightly more subtle item also appeared on my radar screen. That is the in depth discussions of material, techniques, style and personal insights by the artists themselves concerning the very art pieces we all enjoy. This is the history of not only individual pieces of art but of the art form itself.

This forum may very well represent the main repository of the history concerning the hand production of cutaway art during the golden age of the art form. When we’re immersed in the discussion, this point is easy to miss. There are a few books of cutaway art work published but they are either 'art books' that display the finished product or concern themselves solely with the subject matter of the art – a particular car or airplane for example. None that I own or have seen concern themselves with the how, why and technique of production of the finished work, let alone the artists. This forum has lead to documentation about cutaway art and artists that may be on a level greater than exists anywhere else, save the minds of the artists themselves.

That was a wow moment for me and I wanted to share it and say thank you to all concerned. That would include the myriad artists as well as the devoted collectors and historians here present. Special thanks to Tony Matthews as his early (and continued) involvement has supplied the glue that held the fledgling group together as it grew its own stout wings. Of course thanks also to Anders Bonde for planting the seed in the first place.

Something else has shown up for me from reviewing all the posts. There is an undercurrent of concern about copyright issues that surfaces again and again in the posts. Much of it revolves around the moderator’s tolerance of previously published work being posted in the thread. What if our tolerant hosts have a change of heart and shut down and delete this thread? The loss of this historical documentation would be personally devastating to me. It would also be a great disservice to the artists and a serious loss to humanity in general. Perhaps likening it to the destruction of the library at Alexandria may seem a bit overblown to some, but not to me as the net effect would be the same.

By the way, ‘thank you’ does not seem to be enough to say to our friend Ibsen for the meticulous work he does indexing the art content of the thread on all of our behalf. However, if this thread were gone then the index becomes but a list chronicling our collective loss. In the future we may read the index and say nostalgically, ‘Yes I saw that art once, but now it’s gone’.

My personal automotive passion is the era of American sports and race cars following WWII that were produced by individuals or small groups working in their garages and little shops. I only mention this to illustrate a point. In the past few years I have seen many web sites concerning these cars disappear as the owners died or could no longer afford to subsidize the cost of maintaining the sites. I was even the web master of one of those now defunct sites. The net result is the disappearance of wide swaths of historical data from the public domain. That could happen here.

So here is a question for the group in general. Is anyone archiving this thread for posterity? Is it even possible to do so? I am sure individual posts can be copied, but what about multiple pages of this priceless information? I am interested in pursuing the mechanics of how to accomplish this.

Okay, I have carried on long enough. Thanks for your perseverance if you have read this far through this long post. Anyone care to discuss ideas on how to preserve this priceless history? Offline discussion is fine with me as I don’t want to detract from the main purpose of this forum.

Edit - To correct spelling of Anders. Many pardons...

Edited by JoeKane, 08 January 2011 - 03:08.

#7348 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 18:56

Posted Image
Lancia Y10. By Sidotec.

This appears to be identical to an earlier post identified as an Autobianchi Y10 also by Sidotec perhaps also posted by Werks. Was the same car sold under both brand names?

Edited to add - Previously posted on page 154 by TopGun as Autobianchi Y10, not by Werks. Sorry. Appears identical except for contrast.

Edited by JoeKane, 07 January 2011 - 23:02.

#7349 marlondylan

marlondylan

• 49 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 22:27

I think we didn't have this one of the Jaguar XKSS. Artist?
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#7350 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 115 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 23:52

... I wanted to share it and say thank you to all concerned. That would include the myriad artists as well as the devoted collectors and historians here present. Special thanks to Tony Matthews as his early (and continued) involvement has supplied the glue that held the fledgling group together as it grew its own stout wings. Of course thanks also to Andre Bonde for planting the seed in the first place. .... By the way, ‘thank you’ does not seem to be enough to say to our friend Ibsen for the meticulous work he does indexing the art content of the thread on all of our behalf. However, if this thread were gone then the index becomes but a list chronicling our collective loss. ...
Perhaps likening it to the destruction of the library at Alexandria may seem a bit overblown to some, but not to me as the net effect would be the same.
... Anyone care to discuss ideas on how to preserve this priceless history?

A beautiful contribution in itself and very good questions to address, joe.
Recently a similar wealth of knowledge was lost in a hosting problem that brought down a forum dedicated - not confined - to sharing experiences with french cars in Australia.
With a great effort from a few what has risen from the ashes is almost identical but many valuable threads have proved irretrievable.
As for analogies i am also reminded of 'The Abortion: An Historical Romance 1966'; the Library central to Brautigan's story being where people shelved - where they liked - what they had written - and it was cared for ...
steven

Edited by fnqvmuch, 07 January 2011 - 23:58.