??

Advertisement

#702 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:03

Originally posted by Tony Matthews
I've been wondering whether I should delete most of my chassis photos

Only if you repost them in another thread!;)

Anders, I believe the M26 was raced in that configuration a couple of times in 1976, with Jochen Mass driving. Ottomh, I recall him racing the M26 at Zandvoort.

#703 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:16

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall
Tony - is this the pic we've discussed off-line?

Hi Gregor, sorry you couldn't make the film show - yes, that is mine, but I had forgotten what it looked like! Very simple, done to a budget (I mean a tiny one), and not one to be proud of. As I've said before, the name under the artwork was of no importance to the client, and as far as the printers were concerned it was a pain having to cut round it to remove the background tint, so chop it off!

I think I said that I did a slightly better one of the next version - the HSR? - I've got a 35mm trannie of it somewhere. Pity I didn't do either of the Bertha's, I loved those soloons and the racing that took place. I only ever did Mick Hill's Boss Capri. Gives me the willies looking at it - no roll-cage!

#704 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 13:11

I'll let you know the quality of it when it comes - looking forward to it and even though it might not be up to your own high standards I'm sure it'll still be excellent to me.

I do have a few pictures of Baby Bertha with her body off if you could be tempted......

#705 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 23:45

:cool:

...I could be tempted...

#706 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,785 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 23:48

Tony, is that HS Chevette available commercially? My mate still has his !

#707 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 206 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:25

Does anyone know if a cutaway was ever done of the Jordan 191? It's one of my most favourite cars ever. It was neat, effective and uncommonly pretty.

I ask because this past weekend I dug out a 1992 issue of 'Racecar Engineering' that features a technical analysis of said car. There were a couple of simple sketches illustrating the monoshock front suspension and the diffuser. In fact, were these sketches your handiwork, Tony?

#708 alansart

alansart

• 3,970 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:22

I may be able to find an M23, as I said, a very simplistic cutaway

Is this it?

Posted Image

#709 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:17

Originally posted by sterling49

If Tony hasn't got any for sale (I'd much rather cross his palm with silver!!) then I bought mine from a bloke on ebay - not arrived yet but when it does I'll let you know if it's any good.

#710 Rancethebus

Rancethebus

• 52 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:36

Further to my previous post. I promised to include some of the work of James Allington that appeared in a Christies auction catalogue. Because of the source, the quality is not good but I hope you will agree that something is better than nothing. I myself was disgusted by the prices attained, as being a technical illustrator myself, I know how long they took to construct. These are true works of art and should fetch prices which reflect the time and skill which has gone into them. To give you some idea, here are some of the prices realised. Remember that the auction houses commisson would have been taken from these, which in Christie's case would have been substantial. Triumph TR3A £998, Vanwall £940, MGB Roadster £493, Packard 645 £705. In nearly every case they reached well below their estimates.

[img=http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8760/vanwallcutaway.th.jpg]Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#711 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 17:27

Originally posted by Rancethebus
+I wonder if Tony has thought of Auctioning his originals. I for one would love to own one. I know it is difficult to part with original artwork because of the sentimentality but I expect that Tony has an electronic copy of his artworks.

Now you know why!

#712 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 17:56

Originally posted by alansart
Is this it?

It certainly is Alan, thanks, as I said it is VERY simple, but it looks better than I remember it.

#713 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 18:00

Originally posted by sterling49

It was produced by Vauxhall as a promotional poster, Sterling, I used to have one, but there are probably not many out there - although, as Gregor says, ebay could be worth a look.

#714 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 21:05

Posted Image

For Stephen Miller. I was particularly impressed by the wheelnuts on this car, and said so to Derrick Walker. To my great surprise a few weeks later there arrived a jiffy bag containing a pristine wheelnut! It is in my small collection of memorabilia.

#715 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 21:15

For Stephen Miller. I was particularly impressed by the wheelnuts on this car, and said so to Derrick Walker. To my great surprise a few weeks later there arrived a jiffy bag containing a pristine wheelnut! It is in my small collection of memorabilia. [/B]

Without trying to sound clever or look stupid but I can't even see the wheelnuts in your picture?! I've never really looked at racing car wheelnuts before (mainly because I've always been around saloon cars) but the Droop Snoot and Chevette HS and HSR have lovely nuts so to speak!! Are they the gold single piece rings on this car? (I'm not really that fick, honest guv!!)

#716 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 21:42

Here you are Gregor - not surprised you couldn't recognize it!

Posted Image

#717 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 21:44

Posted Image

Who's ride was that Tony and from which season ? It is signed 90, but is it 89 or 90 ?

#718 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 21:53

March Porsche 90P, Marc - I can't say off the top of my head who drove it, I'll have to check. The novelty was the turbo being mounted ahead of the engine - I don't think the car was up to it, it signalled the end of March's long line of successful Indy designs.

#719 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 22:10

Teo Fabi and John Andretti drove it, Teo had #4. It was an innovative design, thanks for cutting it up, Tony!

Advertisement

#720 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 22:34

Originally posted by fines
Teo Fabi and John Andretti drove it, Teo had #4. It was an innovative design, thanks for cutting it up, Tony!

Yes...found that.....and for anybody wanting to read up on it
And see how the photographer managed to capture the details of Tony's........
http://forix.autospo...90p-design.html

#721 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,408 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 22:35

Tony, that wheel nut is very interesting but I do not understand the sprocket like outside circumfrence. Suggestions?

#722 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 23:36

Originally posted by Lee Nicolle
Tony, that wheel nut is very interesting but I do not understand the sprocket like outside circumfrence. Suggestions?

Thanks Michael, I was pretty certain that Teo fabi carried over from the 89P, but couldn't remember who else - I was certain you would know!

Lee, there were three spring-loaded pins in the wheel on the same pitch-circle diameter as the 'notches' in the flange of the wheel nut, one would engage with a notch to lock the nut. The wheel-gun socket was designed to depress the pins thus allowing the nut to be spun off.

#723 Stephen Miller

Stephen Miller

• 49 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:36

For Stephen Miller. I was particularly impressed by the wheelnuts on this car, and said so to Derrick Walker. To my great surprise a few weeks later there arrived a jiffy bag containing a pristine wheelnut! It is in my small collection of memorabilia. [/B]

Thanks Tony, appreciate your finding and sharing.

#724 Stephen Miller

Stephen Miller

• 49 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:21

Here you are Gregor - not surprised you couldn't recognize it!

Posted Image

That looks like one of those really light weight and expensive special racing wheel nuts they talk about in over-the-top motor racing budget discussions. While from an earlier time and not F1, I suspect the lightness, efficiency and durability of the wrench attachment were part of the design too. Normally the wrench has multiple fingers that enter the radial holes with increased contact compared to a regular hex.

Stephen

#725 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 206 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:43

The wheelnut's probably a Metalore production.

Great cutaway, Tony.

#726 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 206 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:54

Originally posted by macoran

http://forix.autospo...90p-design.html

What a great website. Thanks for the link!

#727 Rancethebus

Rancethebus

• 52 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:28

Of all Tony's illustrations, my personal favourite is the Ferrari 312P that he did for Motoring News. It is just that I find that a particularly beautiful car. What I would like to know from Tony is did he travel to Maranello to do that one or did he wait until the car was in the UK? Also does Tony have a list of all his creations for LAT/Motoring News? Did anyone ever produce an illustration of the Ford P68 F3L of 1968 or its Honker Can-Am equivalent?

#728 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 17:03

What I would like to know from Tony is did he travel to Maranello to do that one or did he wait until the car was in the UK?

Sunny, Mediterranean Brands Hatch! Got a list somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

#729 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,186 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 19:47

Sunny, Mediterranean Brands Hatch! Got a list somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Was it THIS WEEKEND Tony?

#730 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 22:27

Originally posted by Kpy

Was it THIS WEEKEND Tony?

It was indeed Kipps old chap, my job book says 14.4.72 Trip to Brands, when I photographed the car, 15.4.72 Got married, 16.4.72 Brands Hatch to watch the race! Didn't actually start the cutaway untill 15.8.72, as I had to finish the Cosworth EA engine, start and abandon the March 721X, do the Surtees TS9B, Tyrrell oo5, and all the other bits and pieces that Teesdale Publishing demanded. Oh, and fit in a honeymoon!

#731 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,186 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 23:26

. Oh, and fit in a honeymoon!

............... At Pau and Monaco ;)

#732 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 692 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 23:34

start and abandon the March 721X

there's a story to be told here Tony, methinks?...

Peter

#733 Rancethebus

Rancethebus

• 52 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:14

Yes I'd like to know the story of the 721X. I know it was a failure, not one of Robin Herd's best. It soon got replaced by the F2 based 721G. It was a very innovative design though. Did you draw any of it? I would have liked to have seen that.

#734 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 721 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 18:05

Yes I'd like to know the story of the 721X. I know it was a failure, not one of Robin Herd's best. It soon got replaced by the F2 based 721G. It was a very innovative design though. Did you draw any of it? I would have liked to have seen that.

The story of the 721X and the G was covered pretty comprehensively in a very recent Motor Sport, FYI.

Nigel

#735 Stephen Miller

Stephen Miller

• 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 22:10

I have seen a Tony Matthews March 711 before, but not a 721.

Stephen

#736 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 22:35

Originally posted by Stephen Miller
I have seen a Tony Matthews March 711 before, but not a 721.

Stephen

There is a Matthews cutaway of the 711-Alfa on Marchives, as well as a Bennett 711-DFV

#737 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 23:28

Is this it?

Posted Image

Any chance of seeing a larger post Tony ?....or Alan
.....and it might as well be posted on the new M23 and M26 thread

#738 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 23:34

Greetings..................I sent an e-mail (actually yesterday) to Tony regarding the 711 Alfa. Tony's words, "The March 711 was a very early drawing,
only my second, and done in April 1971."
cheers,
Steve

#739 alansart

alansart

• 3,970 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:06

Originally posted by macoran

Any chance of seeing a larger post Tony ?....or Alan
.....and it might as well be posted on the new M23 and M26 thread

Larger version

Posted Image

It's actually a 2 page spread so I've had to retouch the join and staple holes :)

Advertisement

#740 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 20:34

Slightly OT but I've spent all day today at Silverstone (was great seeing & hearing the Brawn Mercedes run on the South circuit!!) going through bound copies of Autosport from the 1960s and '63 and '64 are packed full of simple black and white cutaways by Theo Page - some of them are brilliant (I loved the simplicity of them) and I wish I'd had a scanner with me!!
In the'64 editions of Autosport they advertised booklets of all of Theo's cutaways for sale - has anyone got one? I've not checked the internet yet - my ears (and eyes for that matter) are still ringing from 19,000 revs!!

#741 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 21:11

so I've had to retouch the join and staple holes :)

Thanks for that......and well done fix !!

#742 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:14

Originally posted by PeterElleray

there's a story to be told here Tony, methinks?...

Peter

Not really, Peter, I was probably just asked, or told, to stop the March and do something else, then there was a demand for the Surtees. I don't think more than half my time was spent on cutaways, and apart from the time when I had assistance from the lovely Ginger I was solely responsible for all artwork for Teesdale Publishing.

#743 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 692 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:37

Not really, Peter, I was probably just asked, or told, to stop the March and do something else, then there was a demand for the Surtees. I don't think more than half my time was spent on cutaways, and apart from the time when I had assistance from the lovely Ginger I was solely responsible for all artwork for Teesdale Publishing.

ok, now, if i was to start a thread called, lets say, 'the March 721x' (although i think its come up before), and pose a question about how the monocque was constructed, would there be a possibility that a chap who photographed it in minute detail - in the full flush of youthful enthusiasm back in 1972 - to contruct an intimate, detailed cutaway (with or without the help of Ginger) might post said high quality b&w images, scanned in by 21st century technology, the like of which he could only have dreamt of at the time of their capture?

so to speak..

#744 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 13,869 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:42

... the lovely Ginger ...

Is there a cutaway available, perchance?

#745 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:48

:lol: :clap: :clap: :up:

#746 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:49

Originally posted by PeterElleray
...who photographed it in minute detail -

Peter, I'm not at all sure that I have any photographic reference of the 712X, my early negatives were filed along with everything else photographic, next door to my studio in the LAT Photographic department. It was only later that I decided to compile my own 'archive'. However, I'll have a look...

#747 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 692 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:51

Peter, I'm not at all sure that I have any photographic reference of the 712X, my early negatives were filed along with everything else photographic, next door to my studio in the LAT Photographic department. It was only later that I decided to compile my own 'archive'. However, I'll have a look...

tony - very much appreciated..

peter :up:

#748 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:52

Originally posted by Tim Murray
Is there a cutaway available, perchance?

Tim - sorry to say, no! I tried to contact her recently, but had no reply - was it something I did all those years ago, I ask.

#749 Rancethebus

Rancethebus

• 52 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:01

Tony did you produce a cutaway for Motoring news of the normal March 721 with the eliptical front wing?

#750 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:14

Tony did you produce a cutaway for Motoring news of the normal March 721 with the eliptical front wing?

Well, the eliptical front wing was used only on the 711, which was the Alfa-engined car that I did, the 721, which I didn't do, was a very 'normal-looking' car!