The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13352 replies to this topic

#7601 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 16:48

Posted Image
Morris. Front Torsion Bar Suspension System. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Morris, braking system detail 1. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Morris, braking system detail 2. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Morris-Six, rear axle, anti-sway bar. Artist unknown.

I wonder if anyone can remember the many Arthur W. Judge volumes that were produced.

Advertisement

#7602 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 16:55

Posted Image
Jaguar E-Type, Rear suspension. Artist unknown. Section. Not a cutaway.

Posted Image
Late model, Armstrong hydraulic shock absorber. Artist unknown.

#7603 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 17:25

Posted Image
Morris-Six, rear axle, anti-sway bar. Artist unknown.

Unknown, but obviously Australian.

#7604 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 17:46

Attacked by Red Indians too!

#7605 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 17:50

but obviously Australian.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#7606 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 17:56

Posted Image
Lamborghini Jarama S V12 engine. Lamborghini. Section. Not a cutaway.

Posted Image
Lamborghini Jarama, independent front and rear suspension. Lamborghini . Section. Not a cutaway.

Posted Image
Lamborghini P250. Lamborghini In-House. Section. Not a cutaway.

Posted Image
Lamborghini Urraco rear suspension. Lamborghini. Section. Not a cutaway.

Posted Image
Lamborghini Urraco steering box. Lamborghini. Section. Not a cutaway.

#7607 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 18:16

Attacked by Red Indians too!

Yep. The last place you want a Cheyenne war arrow is up the sway bar. You'd have to ride side-saddle for months... or standing in the stirrups, and end up with thighs like a lady speed-skater. "Howdy-do, ma'am...woah, sorry cowboy, my mistake!"

#7608 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 18:18

:)

I blame the publisher.

#7609 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 19:40

To continue the airplane cutaway vein, I have been looking through some of my more neglected yard-sale finds and see that books aimed at modellers have some very good drawings in them. I'd say they were purpose-drawn for the books in question which makes them an admirable effort by the publishers. The books/magazines I have are largely German/Russian aircraft.

I also have an ancient, rotten copy of the assembly/shipping/maintenance manual for the Fokke-Wulf FW 190 (one of my favourite airplanes actually). Great drafting throughout.

No holding of breaths, but I'll see if I can find some particularly good example to post here later.

#7610 SteveV

SteveV

• 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 19:44

The cutaway hideaway, I like it! I would have been here sooner but I got held up at customs (seems your papers have to be in order to join this elite club;)) I'm an illustrator of all things car for the last 30 years or more and have never done a cutaway drawing (but that's going to change I think) I know Tom West and I certainly know of Tony's work, what an amazing archive of cutaway art.

#7611 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 20:04

The cutaway hideaway, I like it! I would have been here sooner but I got held up at customs (seems your papers have to be in order to join this elite club;)) I'm an illustrator of all things car for the last 30 years or more and have never done a cutaway drawing (but that's going to change I think) I know Tom West and I certainly know of Tony's work, what an amazing archive of cutaway art.

Welcome. Start at the beginning and read the whole lot because, in addition to some great finished work, there's a heap of technique discussion and working sketches. If you've got an artist's talent, then I envy you and I am sure you'll see a lot to learn from. Just as an admirer, I've enjoyed this thread immensely.

#7612 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 20:47

Steve,
Welcome aboard. Good luck taking a shot at that cutaway efforts. Let me know if you need anything. Also, this group is one of the best resources you you will ever find, and these guys are willing to let you know how to do things ... a complete training course if you wish to use it that way. Check back into the archive and you will find a treasure trove of samples, advice and insight into the art. Great group and some great samples of the artform.
Stay in touch.
Tom

#7613 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 21:53

However, it is clear that something greater was at stake.

Very interesting opinion. And I agree with you. However, I very much doubt that Meyer been thinking about that, by drawing in modern time an aircraft that was created before WWII .

I dug a little in the dust of my bookshelves and now that I found to compare:

1.Confidential a long time ago (forgive me my Motherland! :) ) pictures of the Pe-8 in the assembly workshop. Probably the secrecy was so great that even the "imageshack" did not want to insert a preview :D
The assembly of the first prototype of ANT-42 (Pe-8) aircraft in Experimental Plant of TshAGl.
http://img842.images...classified.jpg/

2.True factory cutaways (Oh, no! I already hear the pounding steps on the stairs tough guys from KGB!)
Posted Image

3.Very artistic cutaway, drawn by O. Reich
Posted Image

4.Another version of the Pe-8 cutaway. Seems, it is Badrocke or Weal. I think it's more similar to the Weal style. Please correct if I wrong.
Posted Image

5.And finally, the trumpets! The same cutaway, drawn by Meyer, just bigger
Posted Image

Edited by Karabas, 25 January 2011 - 23:08.

#7614 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 22:13

:) Brilliant :up:

It is interesting to cross compare works in that way.

Edit: Regarding No:4, I, rightly or wrongly always associate the presence of bombs or fuel tanks with Weal!

Edited by werks prototype, 25 January 2011 - 22:18.

#7615 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 22:20

Posted Image

Williams FW21 - I had to take this out of its frame as I lent it to my local pub some time ago, and it was hung on a solid external wall which, unbeknown to me, had a broken gutter above which saturated the wall every time it rained. The result was a fine crop of saffron-yellow mould over part of the rear-end. Most of it has come off with TLC and a soft eraser, but there is still slight staining. Since then, any picture being hung on an external solid wall has polythene taped on the back! However, cleaning it made me realise that one of the trends in F1 was that everything got smaller and less interesting-looking, which is a shame. Exquisite engineering, but a bit bland to look at. I have always been a Williams fan, and one regret is that I never got around to doing a cutaway of every chassis, but the lack of exciting bits and pieces, plus the white and blue colour scheme, didn't help. At least with a Ferrari you got red bodywork!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 26 January 2011 - 00:25.

#7616 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 22:24

Silky and sublime!

#7617 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 23:02

So realistically... Hand itself reaches out to touch the image.
Magic of the true ART.

#7618 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 23:04

Williams FW21

WOW !!
THE missing one !!!

#7619 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 23:08

Williams FW21 ....

Magnificent. I'll never get tired of your work.

The date makes me wonder if this was your last drawing? Was it?

Advertisement

#7620 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 23:10

Very interesting opinion. And I agree with you. However, I very much doubt that Meyer been thinking about that, by drawing in modern time an aircraft that was created before WWII .

I dug a little in the dust of my bookshelves and now that I found to compare:

1.Confidential a long time ago (forgive me my Motherland! :) ) pictures of the Pe-8 in the assembly workshop.
2.True factory cutaways
3.Very artistic cutaway, drawn by
4.Another version of the Pe-8 cutaway.
5.And finally, the trumpets

Wow.... thank you very much.

Isn't it incredible that, nearly 200-pages in, this thread is just motoring along?

#7621 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 23:18

Of course this wheel is spinning not by itself. Look what giants not allow him to stay :)

#7622 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 23:31

Thanks for the kind comments. IM, the last ones were the three for the Ferrari F2000 book, the gearbox at the end of '02, the engine and complete car finished mid-'03 I think. May have been later in the year.

#7623 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 23:57

Thanks for the kind comments. IM, the last ones were the three for the Ferrari F2000 book, the gearbox at the end of '02, the engine and complete car finished mid-'03 I think. May have been later in the year.

Out of curiosity, do you ever miss doing the illustrations? Or are you satisfied with your body of work as it sits? Have you ever considered going back to do a couple, just for fun? Or are they too associated with work ... logical that they would be.
Just wondering.
Tom West

#7624 Spaceframe7

Spaceframe7

• 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 00:25

[quote name='Bonde' date='Jan 7 2006, 22:15' post='2241038']
Inspired by the mention of cutaway drawings and cutaway drawing artists in the fairly recent Ford Cosworth SCA thread, I find it timely that a TNF thread is dedicated to this wonderful amalgamation of art and technology and the artists that have provided us racing car enthusiasts so much technical insight and aesthetic pleasure over the years.

Hi. Hopefully on topic here. I was looking through my small collection of motor sports books today, and had a re-read of a book that I bought for a couple of dollars in a used book store many years ago. It is possibly a publication by Autosport called "Car Sports Book". Published by 'Young World Productions, London 1968', it is a young person's guide to motor racing in a large 8" x 10 1/2" annual format. The index page shows many of the badges in the Steering Wheel Club, but the interesting pictures are: A two page cutaway drawing of a Lotus 47 racing car; Porsche Carrera 6 - two full pages; Gurney Weslake V12 - 2 pages; Jack Brabham's 'Old Nail' Formula one car; Renault alpine; ZF gearbox; Cosworth Ford DFV as fitted in the Lotus 49. All drawings by Theo Page of Autosport. It is a fascinating book, not sure if it was published in any other years, but it is full of interesting black and white and colour photos of Brands Hatch - including a couple of colour pics. of David Wakefield (original Caterham Cars co-director) in his racing Lotus 7. Although produced mainly for a younger market, is an interesting flash-back in time and provided the reader with extensive information on the U.K. racing scene circa 1968. Having purchased a pit pass to the BOAC 500 in 1967, and been a spectator at the race, this book brings back many pleasant memories of motor racing during this time period as a number of cars in this race are featured. If anyone at Autosport remembers this book, or knows if it was produced in other years, I would be interested to find out. Thanks for the memories.

#7625 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 00:46

Out of curiosity, do you ever miss doing the illustrations? Or are you satisfied with your body of work as it sits? Have you ever considered going back to do a couple, just for fun? Or are they too associated with work ... logical that they would be.

Well, I miss the business in a way, Tom, I miss the thrill of actually being commissioned to do a cutaway of something as exciting as a competition car, and I miss the challenge and required concentration of doing the construction work. However, it does get a bit samey after decades, and, as I mentioned in the caption to the FW21, there was a trend towards blandness in how the technical bits look, particularly in F1. If I had not decided to stop just before I was approached about doing the Le Mans-winning Bentley, or had relented and done 'just one more', I might have carried on for a bit longer, but essentially, as so many of us have discovered, the World has changed.

I do occasionaly think about doing something, but fortunately the mood wears off pretty fast, but if I was to do another I think it would have to be a completely fresh start, rather than finishing off the several unfinished projects in my plan chest. I am being gently cajoled into completing the Lotus 79, but I really don't think that will happen - I can't hold and manipulate a fine brush any more, after all the manual work. That doesn't mean the dexterity won't come back, but it would take time and practice. I do try to remember to wear gloves more often! If I start another I think it might be a return to B&W line, and a 'historical' subject - but then again...

As to being satisfied - no, not really. It is great that there is so much interest in the subject, and this thread is a constant surprise and delight, and my interest in the actual process of illustrating is still strong, but whenever I look at my work all I see is things that should have been done better.

#7626 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:02

I do occasionaly think about doing something, but fortunately the mood wears off pretty fast, but if I was to do another I think it would have to be a completely fresh start, rather than finishing off the several unfinished projects in my plan chest. I am being gently cajoled into completing the Lotus 79, but I really don't think that will happen - I can't hold and manipulate a fine brush any more, after all the manual work. That doesn't mean the dexterity won't come back, but it would take time and practice. I do try to remember to wear gloves more often! If I start another I think it might be a return to B&W line, and a 'historical' subject - but then again...

I hope you do get 'the touch' back and do some more drawings.

The thought of a Matthews 'Bentley LeMans-that-never-was' is definitely a "d'oh!" moment for us cutaway fans.

Tony, during your post-cutaway career, have you ever done any, non-automotive, sketches, a la the cigar, just because you have the talent? Sketches that you might've gotten carried-away with because you liked drawing?

#7627 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:47

Talking of Aircraft cutaways, here's a book I found some time ago over 250 pages.
its by PAUL EDEN AND SOPH MOENG

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by fivestar, 26 January 2011 - 03:48.

#7628 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:09

Hi. Hopefully on topic here. I was looking through my small collection of motor sports books today, and had a re-read of a book that I bought for a couple of dollars in a used book store many years ago. It is possibly a publication by Autosport called "Car Sports Book". Published by 'Young World Productions, London 1968', it is a young person's guide to motor racing in a large 8" x 10 1/2" annual format. The index page shows many of the badges in the Steering Wheel Club, but the interesting pictures are: A two page cutaway drawing of a Lotus 47 racing car; Porsche Carrera 6 - two full pages; Gurney Weslake V12 - 2 pages; Jack Brabham's 'Old Nail' Formula one car; Renault alpine; ZF gearbox; Cosworth Ford DFV as fitted in the Lotus 49. All drawings by Theo Page of Autosport.

Talking of Aircraft cutaways, here's a book I found some time ago over 250 pages.

Thanks to Spaceframe7 and 5*, two more books - can you hear than Joe Kane? - come to our attention. New to me, but that's not saying much, this where I find that everyone knows of/has them except me!

#7629 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:55

Found another in my archieves. List of aircraft on back cover. if any one wants a specific plane let me know and I'll see what I can achieve.
Mike [5*]

http://img137.images...ircraft0002.jpg
http://img696.images...ircraft0001.jpg

#7630 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:23

Posted Image

The last one! F2000.

#7631 Robbie693

Robbie693

• 44 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:58

Posted Image

Those tyres look fantastic. As does the rest of course, just that I find myself getting excited about something as mundane as a tyre being rendered with such accuracy and so life-like!

...but whenever I look at my work all I see is things that should have been done better.

I think that's the same for everyone, just in your case Tony no-one else can see it!

Thanks for posting these - made my day. Also made me a little green

Cheers

Robbie

#7632 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:22

Also made me a little green

Green is better than white, even with dark blue trim!

#7633 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:52

Green is better than white, even with dark blue trim!

Of corpse it is.

#7634 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:53

Of corpse it is.

Dead right, tb!

#7635 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 13:07

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Speak of the devil. I spy detached fuel tanks! I believe that is Weals rendition of the Mustang III

#7636 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 14:12

Posted Image

The last one! F2000.

As you say, red certainly adds to the impact. Absolutely brilliant - thanks! Any chance at all of a higher resolution version for your fans? Malcolm

Edited by MEI, 26 January 2011 - 14:24.

#7637 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 15:38

Moskvich G4 (source: "Za rulem", November 1963, artist unknown)

Posted Image

#7638 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 18:10

Moskvich G4 (source: "Za rulem", November 1963, artist unknown)

Posted Image

Nice, simple illustration, and I like the annotation, especially радиатор!

#7639 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 18:43

It is as solid as all the rest.

I can see what you mean now, about there actually being a little less 'geometry'? for you to get stuck into, as the engineering technology has progressed from your earlier work. What a strange predicament!

Nevertheless as the bits and bobs have seemingly become more sparse, refined and subtle as you say in engineering terms, you could argue that the textures and materials that have replaced those areas have become more complex and exotic in their shape and texture?

I agree with Robbie in this sense, the textures and materials are so expertly rendered from a viewers point of view, the ultimate result is that it is probably more satisfying viewing this work than the real thing.
[/quote]

Werks,
I think that a bit of what Tony is relating is the same thing that he saw at the beginning of his career with James Allington. The style of car perfectly fit the style of the artist and enabled some of those great cars to be turned into classic illustrations. Tony's style came along and he really became the best at it (sorry, personal opinion). After a while, things change again and it gets "less interesting" from a creative standpoint. In the current case, the technology changes and the various commercial demands changed as well. It isn't quite as much fun after a while, and fewer clients want to have them. Too bad Shell did not stick with it. We did a custom Motorcycle diecast promotion with them for a truck oilchange operation, and they gave away 60,000 of our bikes in a month ... and then we never heard another word. Dealing with marketing concerns can have a fickle result at times.
Tom West

Advertisement

#7640 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 18:46

Nice, simple illustration, and I like the annotation, especially радиатор!

Yes, that one sort of got to me, too. Thanks for pointing that one out. Very informative.
Tom West

#7641 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 19:15

i am going to include two thumbnails here for images out of the Haynes Manual cover collection. These are both Chevrolet full sized pickup and van subjects, so little different from the smaller cars that i have been doing lately. Terry Davey is the artist on these, as with most of the Haynes projects.
Tom West

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7642 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 19:18

Werks,
I think that a bit of what Tony is relating is the same thing that he saw at the beginning of his career with James Allington. The style of car perfectly fit the style of the artist and enabled some of those great cars to be turned into classic illustrations.

I see. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for that Tom.

Actually, I like the sound of that. :up:

#7643 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 19:20

Too bad Shell did not stick with it. We did a custom Motorcycle diecast promotion with them for a truck oilchange operation, and they gave away 60,000 of our bikes in a month ... and then we never heard another word. Dealing with marketing concerns can have a fickle result at times.
Tom West

Human nature! :down:

#7644 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 19:42

Napier Bluebird 1931, it's listed in the index on page 132 but that is the 1935 version

Posted Image

can anyone put a name to these initials

Posted Image

Finaly the Delage La Torpille on page 128 post #5081 is by G Gedo

#7645 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 20:52

In the end of last year, bought on eBay a great Yoshihiro Inomoto portfolio, issued by Nigensha (Japan) in 1978 - "Automobile Technical Illustrations". Total prints is 22.
13 prints of cutaway illustrations by Inomoto (2 color prints and 11 B&W prints) + 9 art prints (8 by Walter Gotschke and 1 print by Peter Helck)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Featured cars:

1906 Locomobile 90hp Old 16
Posted Image

1912 Mercer Type 35R Raceabout
Posted Image

1920 Ballot 3-Litre Indianapolis Racing Car
Posted Image

1925 Ford Model T Touring Car
Posted Image

1926 Bugatti Type 37 Grand Prix
Posted Image

1930 Aston Martin International
Posted Image

1931 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Corto Spider Zagato (see my previous post: http://forums.autosp...amp;pid=4770920 )

1935 Auto Union B-Type
Posted Image

1939 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Sedan de Ville (see my previous post: http://forums.autosp...amp;pid=4782838 )

1948 Ferrari Tipo 166 Inter Spider Corsa
Posted Image

1951 BRM Type 15
Posted Image

1954 Mercedes Benz 300 SL Coupe
Posted Image

1958 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
Posted Image

If the moderator will allow me a little offtopic, I can put the remaining 9 paintings to complete the portfolio. Posted Image
:) At least one painting by Helck?

Edited by Karabas, 26 January 2011 - 21:23.

#7646 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 21:01

Posted Image

The last one! F2000.

Tony, what a fantastic talent, both drawings a true works of art.

On the subject of copyright you could check out www.dacs.org.uk they are a vey useful organization but I think cover mainly Europe.

#7647 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 21:13

...the Fokke-Wulf FW 190 (one of my favourite airplanes actually)...

IrishMariner, if you are not yet familiar with the cutaway drawings of aircraft, created by Arthur L. Bentley, you'll find on his home page a lot of interesting, including Focke-Wulf FW 190.
Almost all drawings can be ordered at a very reasonable price :up:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Karabas, 26 January 2011 - 21:26.

#7648 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 21:30

Posted Image

Very fine drawings, and one of my favourite aircraft, too, although some people regard you as a traitor for admiring any German fighting machine...

#7649 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 21:40

Any chance at all of a higher resolution version? Malcolm

Glad you liked it, Malcolm. This was posted as a 2.5 MB file, downsized by ImageShack to under 1 MB, the original TIFF file is over 40 MB, I had to reduce it drastically in size and jpeg it to bring the file size down. I do not know how to post a higher res file that is not huge in terms of MBs as I was off sick the day we did that at school. The original files start out at 290 MB, but making a cut-out knocks this down a lot. At least, I assume that is what happens, certainly as I remove the tint from the 'white' background, the file size diminishes.

#7650 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 21:43

although some people regard you as a traitor for admiring any German fighting machine...

machines do not killing itself, only people... :(