Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13352 replies to this topic

#7651 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 21:57

In the end of last year, bought on eBay a great Yoshihiro Inomoto portfolio, issued by Nigensha (Japan) in 1978 - "Automobile Technical Illustrations". Total prints is 22.
13 prints of cutaway illustrations by Inomoto (2 color prints and 11 B&W prints) + 9 art prints (8 by Walter Gotschke and 1 print by Peter Helck)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Featured cars:

1906 Locomobile 90hp Old 16
Posted Image

1912 Mercer Type 35R Raceabout
Posted Image

1920 Ballot 3-Litre Indianapolis Racing Car
Posted Image

1925 Ford Model T Touring Car
Posted Image

1926 Bugatti Type 37 Grand Prix
Posted Image

1930 Aston Martin International
Posted Image

1931 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Corto Spider Zagato (see my previous post: http://forums.autosp...amp;pid=4770920 )

1935 Auto Union B-Type
Posted Image

1939 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Sedan de Ville (see my previous post: http://forums.autosp...amp;pid=4782838 )

1948 Ferrari Tipo 166 Inter Spider Corsa
Posted Image

1951 BRM Type 15
Posted Image

1954 Mercedes Benz 300 SL Coupe
Posted Image

1958 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
Posted Image

If the moderator will allow me a little offtopic, I can put the remaining 9 paintings to complete the portfolio. Posted Image
:) At least one painting by Helck?

:eek: What a wad!

How much did that lot set you back? (cost?)

Advertisement

#7652 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 22:10

:eek: What a wad!

How much did that lot set you back? (cost?)

Lucky for me, not so much - about $200, but now a similar set selling for $667.
And one guy even wanted $2500! In my lands this called "eyes want more than the mouth can swallow!" :lol:

#7653 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 22:20

Lucky for me, not so much - about $200, but now a similar set selling for $667.And one guy even wanted $2500! In my lands this called "eyes want more than the mouth can swallow!" :lol:

That is what I was thinking. I was thinking somewhere in the region of about $1000 +

I think your purchase was very definitely about timing! Great timing!

Edited by werks prototype, 26 January 2011 - 22:27.

#7654 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 22:26

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce Phantom 2. By Max Millar.

Not much cutting going on. But an awful lot of familar faces/hands involved.

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II. Engine detail. By John ferguson.

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce valve arrangement, detail. By Max Millar.

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce Camargue fully-automatic air-conditioning system. By John Hostler.

Posted Image
Rolls-Royce Landaulet eight-cylinder engine. By John ferguson.

#7655 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 22:37

Arthur L. Bentley, you'll find on his home page Focke-Wulf FW 190.

I used to really admire his three- and four-view drawings in Aeromodeller magazine, I had no idea he did cutaways too! Can't believe his prices, my model-making juices have started to flow... Down boy!

#7656 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 00:02

Napier Bluebird 1931, it's listed in the index on page 132 but that is the 1935 version - OK! Corrected.

Finaly the Delage La Torpille on page 128 post #5081 is by G Gedo - OK! Corrected.

Thank You!

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 190 - post 7562 => part A - post 7563 => part B

#7657 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:09

Replacements!

I don't know for sure if these dates are correct, or if one of the two images on page 132 has been dropped from my folder somewhere along the line by imageshack.

Posted Image
Campbell-Napier-Railton Bluebird 1931 Version Napier Lion

Posted Image
Campbell-Railton Rolls-Royce 1935 R-engined Bluebird

Edited by werks prototype, 27 January 2011 - 01:12.

#7658 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:38

Very fine drawings, and one of my favourite aircraft, too, although some people regard you as a traitor for admiring any German fighting machine...

I agree. However, the more I read about aircraft like the Spitfire, Mustang, Hawker, etc, the more I learn that the German aircraft were quite highly regarded, even at the time. In recent years I've become aware of increasing acceptance/tolerance of giving the German warbirds objective appraisal and status within museums and whatnot. One ex-colleague had paper models on his desk of the FW-190 alongside the Spitfire and, according to him, not a single complaint was heard from anyone. It's history....

Thank you, Karabas, for letting us know about the Bentley page. I for sure will be ordering some. Question is which ones.....

#7659 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:50

OK, folks. Here are a couple of 1980 mini-cars representing the French and Japanese car industry. These are Terry Davey illustrations from Haynes Manual covers, just for the record.
First is the Citroen Visa, followed by the Nissan 210 Sunny.
Tom West

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#7660 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:22

I agree. However, the more I read about aircraft like the Spitfire, Mustang, Hawker, etc, the more I learn that the German aircraft were quite highly regarded, even at the time. In recent years I've become aware of increasing acceptance/tolerance of giving the German warbirds objective appraisal and status within museums and whatnot. One ex-colleague had paper models on his desk of the FW-190 alongside the Spitfire and, according to him, not a single complaint was heard from anyone. It's history....

I needn't have added that bit to my post, it was a sort of knee-jerk thing, as I was once strongly criticised by an older aquaintance some years ago. He went through WWII and still had a lot of animosity towards the Germans and anything German, and gave me an earfull when I happened to mention that I thought the FW190 was a great design! Now, when I think of the 'plane I have this Pavlovian response!

#7661 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 14:53

Two photgrafs cutaway Chasis in carbon fiber, general cutaway and artistic concepts. The new VW XL1, author Vw studio by web Autoblog.com
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

success

#7662 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 17:19

...I find myself getting excited about something as mundane as a tyre being rendered with such accuracy and so life-like!

Posted Image

That's a little over full size, the original tyre is 120mm over its biggest diametre. Not the most interesting tyre, the '97 Goodyear tyres had a bit more going on around the sidewall.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 27 January 2011 - 17:24.

#7663 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 20:30

Glad you liked it, Malcolm. This was posted as a 2.5 MB file, downsized by ImageShack to under 1 MB, the original TIFF file is over 40 MB, I had to reduce it drastically in size and jpeg it to bring the file size down. I do not know how to post a higher res file that is not huge in terms of MBs as I was off sick the day we did that at school. The original files start out at 290 MB, but making a cut-out knocks this down a lot. At least, I assume that is what happens, certainly as I remove the tint from the 'white' background, the file size diminishes.

Thanks Tony. I wonder why it is that ImageShack cuts your posts down in size. It seems to take mine (normally about 3 MB plus) without change. Perhaps someone out there, who understands the intricacies of the system more than I do, could explain it?

#7664 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 20:56

Thanks Tony. I wonder why it is that ImageShack cuts your posts down in size. It seems to take mine (normally about 3 MB plus) without change. Perhaps someone out there, who understands the intricacies of the system more than I do, could explain it?

I never click the resize button

#7665 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:15

Well, I pick a size that I think will look OK without swamping the page or being too small. I can't get on with thumbnails and lots of clicking, I do it, but I'd rather not... I don't want to post an image, the file for which is mega, as it takes a long time to download if you haven't got fast broadband, so I compromise - medium sized file, medium sized image. I often scan stuff at 200dpi rather than 300 to keep the file size down too, and dispose of background tints, which can take a long time to do properly - not as long as Marc spends on his stitching though!

#7666 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:19

Thanks Marc. I must admit I hadn't even noticed the option. Tony's image as presented by ImageShack is 1024 px wide, which appears to be their setting for a 17" monitor.

Edited by MEI, 27 January 2011 - 21:21.

#7667 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:20

Extracts from ImageShack FAQ:

"...Imageshack supports all major image formats including jpeg, png, gif, ico, bmp, and tiff. Each image you upload must be less than 5 megabytes in size, 10 megabytes for premium users. ImageShack does not alter the size of your uploaded image (unless it is bigger than 1.5 megabytes or if you resized it yourself)"

So, if you upload a file less than 5 mb, nothing changes.
Upload files more than 5 MB (but not more than 10 Mb) can only owners of premium accounts

Look, do not you have a checkmark in checkbox "Resize Image?" If It stands there, then this may be the cause.

Edited by Karabas, 28 January 2011 - 14:24.

#7668 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:26

Large files better share through free file servers, saved as an archive. Nothing better has not yet invented :|

#7669 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:37

Posted Image

That's a little over full size, the original tyre is 120mm over its biggest diametre. Not the most interesting tyre, the '97 Goodyear tyres had a bit more going on around the sidewall.

Just love the carbon fibre you do Tony !!

#7670 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:39

This is what happens if I don't resize - and this is only the reduced-size, 3MB file, not the full-size 40MB one... to me it makes sense to reduce it so it fits most people's screens.

Posted Image

#7671 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:54

Tony, I'm sorry if my question may seem irrelevant, but I've always wanted to ask - your prints can be purchased anywhere?
I lost my sleep on the desire to have your portfolio, at least from 10-15 of your best work. Even in a small size, the A3-A2. :(

#7672 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:55

Just love the carbon fibre you do Tony !!

Heve searched my files Tony, I believe that Williams has never been aired before ?

#7673 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 22:12

This is what happens if I don't resize - and this is only the reduced-size, 3MB file, not the full-size 40MB one... to me it makes sense to reduce it so it fits most people's screens.

I can see it fine on my wide screen tv !!

edit to say, it looks bloody fantastic !!!!!

Edited by macoran, 27 January 2011 - 22:15.

#7674 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 22:29

Posted Image

Tony, I appreciate your problem, but the level of detail is absolutely brilliant! Werks gave me very helpful advice in post 5568 on how to load a thumbnail from Imageshack into the forum - like this:
Posted Image

If a member clicks on the thumbnail, the system brings up an image which it and the computer can then expand (by some sort of magic) to a size compatible with the particular screen size in use but still downloadable with all the resolution intact. Forgive me if I am "teaching grandpa to suck eggs" - but anyway I'm 6 months older than you are, so there (and don't tell me it's past my bedtime)!!

Many thanks again, Malcolm

Edited by MEI, 27 January 2011 - 22:47.

#7675 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 22:56

Some magic in Photoshop + couple experiments with ImageShack.
As a result, Tony, you can upload your beautiful pictures approximately this size: 7200X4820, 300DPI, JPG compression level ="9" . This is more than enough to print an image in A2 size.
The only limitation - no thumbnail and in any case not exceed the final size of 5 mb!

http://img62.imagesh...0copybig05.jpg/

If you consider that image is too large, I will immediately remove it from the forum and ImageShack

Edited to add Tony Matthews copyright watermarks on image.

Edited by Karabas, 28 January 2011 - 19:10.

#7676 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 23:50

Heve searched my files Tony, I believe that Williams has never been aired before ?

Heve you? ;) No Marc, I haven't posted the whole car, but I think I've got a 10"x8" trannie, I'll see if I can find it. Carbon fibre is a bit tedious to do, but worth the effort, I think. There was a time when different weaves and odd coloured threads would appear to cheer things up, but eventually everyone used the same boring black cloth. Internal cloth was sometimes an ochre-y colour, which may have been Kevlar, or a similar fibre.

#7677 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 00:03

I can see it fine on my wide screen tv !!

Tony, I appreciate your problem, but the level of detail is absolutely brilliant!
If a member clicks on the thumbnail, the system brings up an image which it and the computer can then expand (by some sort of magic) to a size compatible with the particular screen size in use but still downloadable with all the resolution intact. Forgive me if I am "teaching grandpa to suck eggs" - but anyway I'm 6 months older than you are, so there (and don't tell me it's past my bedtime)!!

Well, it surprises me that you think the detail is good, because the scan had to be re-shot due to it being out of focus at the front and back, or LR wheel to be precise. The front is so soft most of the detail has gone. I'm not criticising either of you, it's just that compared to the original it is unbelievably soft. I'll post a bit of the Ferrari F300 that I have already on file to show what I mean.

Malcolm, I know about the thumbnail and click-to-zoom, but I find it a chore, and sometimes have to wait minutes for the zoomed image to complete. I often lose patience and abandone the process. That's why I post complete images in a size that I think appropriate, 'cos that's what I'm like, impatient! You can stay up as long as you like tomorrow evening because it's the weekend, but tonight, Malcolm, it's nearly time to stick your head under a wing and stand on one leg.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 28 January 2011 - 00:11.

#7678 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 00:10

Some magic in Photoshop + couple experiments with ImageShack.
As a result, Tony, you can upload your beautiful pictures approximately this size: 7200X4820, 300DPI, JPG compression level ="9" . This is more than enough to print an image in A2 size.
The only limitation - no thumbnail and in any case not exceed the final size of 5 mb!

Karabas, that is very interesting, but I'm not really trying to give free, quality prints to anyone who wants one. If people print low-res files, say to A4, it doesn't matter, but some of my work is my copyright, and most is someone elses, and has to be treated carefully!

http://img402.imageshack.us/i/f2000copybig04.jpg/

If you consider that image is too large, I will immediately remove it from the forum and ImageShack

No, that can stay, I think, as I have said, although it might print reasonably well at A3, it is not a good scan, so I'm not too bothered. It is not good enough to charge people for!

Edited to add a missing '

Edited by Tony Matthews, 28 January 2011 - 00:27.

#7679 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 00:15

I'll post a bit of the Ferrari F300 that I have already on file to show what I mean.

it's nearly time to stick your head under a wing and stand on one leg.

I actually opened the F300 that you once posted, but that was a relatively low res pic, it is no way better than this one.

What bird do you think Malcolm is Tony ?

Advertisement

#7680 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 00:21

Posted Image

As you can see, compared with the same area of the F2000 scan, this, taken from a 10"x8" trannie of the F300 and not cleaned or sharpened, (and scanned on an HP Scanjet G4050, not a professional scanner,) is much clearer and sharper. The whole of the F2000 should have been like this, and the second scan was much better than the first! If you think the headaches stopped with the final brushstroke you are wrong! First the photographers had the opportunity to screw things up, and then the layout artists, graphic designers and printers. I ended up with a very good studio, and one magazine in particular always did a superb job, but others were not so good...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 28 January 2011 - 00:22.

#7681 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 00:26

I actually opened the F300 that you once posted, but that was a relatively low res pic, it is no way better than this one.

Exactly, a low res scan meant to be seen about A5 on the screen, no more than that really.

What bird do you think Malcolm is Tony ?

A Night-Owl, Marc, and a very naughty one.

#7682 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 00:38

Posted Image

As you can see, compared with the same area of the F2000 scan, this, taken from a 10"x8" trannie of the F300 and not cleaned or sharpened, (and scanned on an HP Scanjet G4050, not a professional scanner,) is much clearer and sharper. The whole of the F2000 should have been like this, and the second scan was much better than the first! If you think the headaches stopped with the final brushstroke you are wrong! First the photographers had the opportunity to screw things up, and then the layout artists, graphic designers and printers. I ended up with a very good studio, and one magazine in particular always did a superb job, but others were not so good...

Yes I just studied that shot again Tony, and see what you mean,
:up:

Just bleedin incredible !!!! what beauty !

Edited by macoran, 28 January 2011 - 00:41.

#7683 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 00:40

A Night-Owl, Marc, and a very naughty one.

Funny animal, nite-owl sticking its head under a wing and standing on one leg ?
I think I should be putting my head down as well !

Good night Tony sleep well !

#7684 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 00:49

Nite-nite Marc, and everyone in Cutawayland, unless you're in America, in which case it's Good Afternoon, and if you're in Australasia, G'day!

#7685 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:25

Hi to you all. My latest profile illustration, not the GP F1 you all love but BRISCA F1 Stockcar world champion 3rd year in a row Andy Smith.

Please have a look and click on 'view full size for a better close up look. Hoping to do a cutaway of one of these cars this year.

F1 Stockcar world champion

all comments welcome.

:wave:

#7686 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:53

...some of my work is my copyright, and most is someone elses, and has to be treated carefully!

Totally agree with you. In my businessis also is very actual question about the correct use of copyright. Some persons absolutely do not want respect it. :mad:

I'm not really trying to give free, quality prints to anyone who wants one.

I want to go back to my question about how I can officially and completely legally purchase your fine work?
The walls of the second half of the floor are still free from the bookshelves and I'd be happy to decorate them with some of your pictures. :up:
Or is it completely impossible and I should forget about it?

#7687 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:47

.... and a very naughty one.

I should be so lucky!

Edited by MEI, 28 January 2011 - 10:20.

#7688 Robbie693

Robbie693

• 44 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:41

Posted Image

Thanks Tony. You're such a tease!

I just noticed the index numbers on the inside of the F300 tyre - lovely, subtly done. So easy to overdo things like that.

Another question if I may; the carbon fibre effect, did you use a ruling pen or brush?

Robbie

#7689 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:55

I want to go back to my question about how I can officially and completely legally purchase your fine work?
The walls of the second half of the floor are still free from the bookshelves and I'd be happy to decorate them with some of your pictures. :up:
Or is it completely impossible and I should forget about it?

I should certainly join the queue.

Tony, I know you have commented in the past about the challenges associated with publication etc, but I am sure that you would find a very ready (and eager) market for a (possibly limited edition) book of your most iconic pictures. I am confident that members of this forum would happily help you compile the list!

PS. Thanks for giving me the idea of an updated avatar!

Edited by MEI, 28 January 2011 - 10:57.

#7690 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:00

I should certainly join the queue.

Tony, I know you have commented in the past about the challenges associated with publication etc, but I am sure that you would find a very ready (and eager) market for a (possibly limited edition) book of your most iconic pictures. I am confident that members of this forum would happily help you compile the list!

I have a Chevrolet dealer here in UK trying to source the Chevrolet V8 engine cutaway 2011 calendar with Tony's illustrations as mentioned earlier in this thread.

will update you all when I get news. :wave:

#7691 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:38

A fine self-portrait!

#7692 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:49

Another question if I may; the carbon fibre effect, did you use a ruling pen or brush?

A ruling pen - an anachronistic (this morning's long word) device but very useful. However - Tony's Tips #472 - ordinary ruling pens don't like gouache and fibrous paper, they wear out, the tips quite quickly, quietly and... no, can't think of anymore appropriate words starting with qu... get blunt, and the line thickness changes and regularity becomes unpredictable. So, you have to buy very expensive German pens with hardened (tungsten?) tips. These are easily broken if abused, so it can be a real pain. Some gouache pigments must be like powdered carborundum.

#7693 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 15:59

Several posts are missing - a couple from me and a couple of others, MEI and scorerr, so what's going on? Scorerr had a nice pic of his latest art, and I wrote about ruling pens, so I'm not imagining it...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 28 January 2011 - 16:03.

#7694 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,305 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 16:09

You're definitely not imagining it, Tony. At one stage the thread list was telling me that the latest posting was by you at around 11.45, but the actual last post was Marc's from 00.40 this morning. I hoped it was a temporary glitch that might resolve itself, but - apparently not.

#7695 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 16:37

Several posts are missing - a couple from me and a couple of others, MEI and scorerr, so what's going on? Scorerr had a nice pic of his latest art, and I wrote about ruling pens, so I'm not imagining it...

The strange thing is that I can still find my latest posts by clicking on "Find Member's Posts". By the same means I can also see the latest one from Karabas. Curious ....

Edited by MEI, 28 January 2011 - 16:41.

#7696 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 16:40

You're definitely not imagining it, Tony.

Thanks for the confirmation, Tim. Perhaps we are only allowed 193 pages... Ah, I see Malcolm has posted, so I'll submit - not to just anyone, he added hastily...

#7697 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 16:43

A ruling pen - an anachronistic (this morning's long word) device but very useful. However - Tony's Tips #472 - ordinary ruling pens don't like gouache and fibrous paper, they wear out, the tips quite quickly, quietly and... no, can't think of anymore appropriate words starting with qu... get blunt, and the line thickness changes and regularity becomes unpredictable. So, you have to buy very expensive German pens with hardened (tungsten?) tips. These are easily broken if abused, so it can be a real pain. Some gouache pigments must be like powdered carborundum.

I've pasted this here, as I don't want to have to compose it all again. If the original returns I'll delete it. Thanks for the tip re Member's Posts, Malcolm.

#7698 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 17:47

You're definitely not imagining it, Tony. At one stage the thread list was telling me that the latest posting was by you at around 11.45, but the actual last post was Marc's from 00.40 this morning. I hoped it was a temporary glitch that might resolve itself, but - apparently not.

I noticed that as well when I logged in for a quick look at the office.
Gremlins on TNF ?? TMF yes but not TNF pleeeeeez !!!

#7699 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 17:54

Some gouache pigments must be like powdered carborundum.

Ha ! you don't want to know what some stuff is made of !
I resprayed my brother in law's car years ago. He wanted it sprayed in what was called "Virgin white"
When I felt a bit sick the next morning I looked at the can and saw that it was cyano-acrylate based !!
Apparantly the pure white can only be obtained with a cyanide based additive !!!!

...........and as a hobbyist I hadn't worn appropriate safety equipment !!

Advertisement

#7700 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 18:08

Ha ! you don't want to know what some stuff is made of !
I resprayed my brother in law's car years ago. He wanted it sprayed in what was called "Virgin white"
When I felt a bit sick the next morning I looked at the can and saw that it was cyano-acrylate based !!
Apparantly the pure white can only be obtained with a cyanide based additive !!!!

...........and as a hobbyist I hadn't worn appropriate safety equipment !!

Well, you haven't blown up yet Marc?

Oil paints are similarly full of heavy metals. I think only Flake white currently has anything approaching dangerous levels of lead. All sorts of things have cropped up historically, cyanide, arsenic.

Zinc is also a semiconductor! I bet that's a shock.