Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13352 replies to this topic

#7701 Robbie693

Robbie693

• 44 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 18:19

Several posts are missing - a couple from me and a couple of others, MEI and scorerr, so what's going on? Scorerr had a nice pic of his latest art, and I wrote about ruling pens, so I'm not imagining it...

Oh! I wondered why my original post wasn't there when I logged back in - thought I was having brain fade and didn't press the submit button. Now I realise Roy's post is definitely missing and a couple of others too.

Tony's Tips #472 - ordinary ruling pens don't like gouache and fibrous paper, they wear out, the tips quite quickly, quietly and...

Quantifiably? Didn't know that. I wondered why I started to get burrs on mine - I thought I'd dropped it or something. I thought gouache was just watercolour pigment with chalk added. Suppose chalk could wear them out but still surprising. I like the effect they give but drive me nuts when they keep drying out in the middle of a line!

Cheers

Robbie

Advertisement

#7702 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 18:56

The Railton indexed on page 127 is by Max Millar, the annotations have been changed so this was probably when his name was removed,
it has also migrated to page 126, as for the missing posts, the site crashed for about 45 mins yesterday, could be connected?.

#7703 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 19:17

Posted Image
F.Z.G. 76, 1944. By Peter Endsleigh Castle.

Perhaps also another new name to add to the burgeoning list of known artists.

#7704 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 19:30

...the site crashed for about 45 mins yesterday, could be connected?.

Posted Image

Could this be the culprit? I think we should be told!

#7705 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 19:32

Quantifiably?

Unquestionably!

#7706 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 19:36

Posted Image
Ford single overhead camshaft, Pinto, Cortina, and Capri. By Barry Rowe. (Though not sure?)

I forgot this bit!

Posted Image
Sohc four-valve. Dolomite Sprint cylinder head. By Barry Rowe.

Posted Image
Associated Engineering camshaft. By Barry Rowe. Perhaps also another new name to add to the burgeoning list of known artists.

Edited by werks prototype, 28 January 2011 - 20:38.

#7707 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 19:58

Could this be the culprit? I think we should be told!

Oi! I may report you for bullying!  ;)

#7708 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 20:33

Finally, perhaps another curiosity,

Posted Image
Wolseley 18-22 Hydragas suspension. Again by Barry Rowe.

#7709 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 21:20

The art work on this site is certainly not cutaways, but I think this crowd may enjoy it...

#7710 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 21:26

The art work on this site is certainly not cutaways, but I think this crowd may enjoy it...

Interesting stuff. The Bentley transporter has got something going on! (That Livery).

I'm hoping here that you are going to drop another huge lot of quality cutaways our way helioseism.

#7711 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 21:35

Posted Image
F.Z.G. 76, 1944. By Peter Endsleigh Castle.

Perhaps also another new name to add to the burgeoning list of known artists.

Just like a systemic view, sorry :)

Peter Endsleigh Castle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Flight Int." Clark?

Posted Image

"The War Illustrated" Haworth

Posted Image

NoName Artist (a German or Polish autor)

Posted Image

#7712 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 21:44

Just like a systemic view, sorry :)

Peter Endsleigh Castle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Flight Int." Clark?

Posted Image

"The War Illustrated" Haworth

Posted Image

NoName Artist (a German or Polish autor)

Posted Image

That was quick! :eek:

I don't know what kind of resource you must have access to, inorder to put together such a comprehensive cross comparison, in such little time! Beautiful and fascinating. All of them! :up:

#7713 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 22:08

That was quick! :eek:

I don't know what kind of resource you must have access to, inorder to put together such a comprehensive cross comparison, in such little time! Beautiful and fascinating. All of them! :up:

My main resource - this is my beloved wife Lucie :kiss: , carefully erase the dust from my books! :lol:

Edited by Karabas, 28 January 2011 - 22:08.

#7714 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 23:24

My main resource - this is my beloved wife Lucie :kiss: , carefully erase the dust from my books! :lol:

Tell me your secret Karabas, no dusting of books in our house !
my lady keeps telling me we have to do some "PROPER" spring cleaning,
then she adds .."the attic" ...and that is supposedly MY domain !!!

I only get her to calm down when I use some choice words which hit her where she feels it.

#7715 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 00:06

I only get her to calm down when I use some choice words which hit her where she feels it.

"Yes dear." "Certainly dear." "Of course dear." "Oh that's a shame, I thought your mother was staying longer..."

#7716 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 00:07

"Yes dear." "Certainly dear." "Of course dear." "Oh that's a shame, I thought your mother was staying longer..."

I am meaner than that Tony

#7717 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 00:10

I am meaner than that Tony

Good lad.

#7718 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 00:18

In addition, Rodder's Journal is offering a set of 6 Rex Burnett prints for $100. Numbered and limited edition - yes but of 2,000 sets, which strikes me as pretty optimistic.
The price certainly seems very reasonable. Even with shipping that comes to less than $19 per print. I have ordered a set and will let you know what I think when they arrive.
Here's a link to the description of the prints:

http://www.roddersjo...a...=page&id=44

Okay... I have received the "Rex Burnett Collection" of prints from Rodder's Journal that I previously wrote about. It pains me to report I am severely disappointed and cannot recommend them. While the subject matter is great, the paper quality is good, the printing is fine and the set box very nice there are very basic failure issues here.

First off, three of the prints were damaged prior to packaging - handling creases near the right edge. In addition, one sheet of separating tissue was balled up and another was folded over. This was definitely not shipping damage. Not what I expect for $100 plus $12.50 shipping. And definitely not what I expected from a publisher that bills themselves as high end and coffee table.

Second off - and this is the major item to me - they are not signed and numbered.

Here is what the Rodder's Journal web site says concerning this set of prints;
“These prints are not sold individually and are only available in the limited edition, numbered sets, each signed by Brian and John Burnett, and Steve Coonan, publisher of The Rodder's Journal.” (Emphasis added)

So tell me if I am wrong to expect that each print is to be signed and numbered 1948/2000, or whatever. Is my expectation unreasonable given that description?
These prints are neither signed nor numbered. This greatly diminishes the value of this set of prints. There is no means of authenticating an individual print, since there is no number or signature on them. The number and signatures only appear on a separate "certificate of authenticity" card.

I have written the publisher concerning my disappointment. I will keep you posted as to their reply.

Am I being unreasonable? Your experience? Comments?

Joe
PS - Yes Tony I saw your reference about "two more cutaway book titles".... Groan... That's my library shelves you hear.

#7719 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:02

Joe

That's really useful information. Thank you for warning.

I suppose that your disappointment is valid.
These prints are not yet a rarity, sales of portfolio just started, and the edition of 2000 pieces is very significant. In my experience, a similar not signed, unnumbered, new print, moreover damaged is worth no more half the price.
Usually, I faced with the problem of poor quality printing, but in your case, it is a blatant mistake of the publisher and carelessness in packaging.
I would have a lot of questions to the publisher, if I got such set of doubtful origin.

Almost has been ready to order a portfolio and such unpleasant surprise :(

Advertisement

#7720 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:17

Tell me your secret Karabas,

This secret is already ten thousand years old! :lol:
We just have agreed once and forever: I - bear meat, and skins. She - cares a cave in perfect condition and watches to the fire is not faded.

Edited by Karabas, 29 January 2011 - 08:18.

#7721 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:55

Okay... I have received the "Rex Burnett Collection" of prints from Rodder's Journal that I previously wrote about. It pains me to report I am severely disappointed and cannot recommend them. While the subject matter is great, the paper quality is good, the printing is fine and the set box very nice there are very basic failure issues here.

First off, three of the prints were damaged prior to packaging - handling creases near the right edge. In addition, one sheet of separating tissue was balled up and another was folded over. This was definitely not shipping damage. Not what I expect for $100 plus $12.50 shipping. And definitely not what I expected from a publisher that bills themselves as high end and coffee table.

Second off - and this is the major item to me - they are not signed and numbered.

Here is what the Rodder's Journal web site says concerning this set of prints;
“These prints are not sold individually and are only available in the limited edition, numbered sets, each signed by Brian and John Burnett, and Steve Coonan, publisher of The Rodder's Journal.” (Emphasis added)

So tell me if I am wrong to expect that each print is to be signed and numbered 1948/2000, or whatever. Is my expectation unreasonable given that description?
These prints are neither signed nor numbered. This greatly diminishes the value of this set of prints. There is no means of authenticating an individual print, since there is no number or signature on them. The number and signatures only appear on a separate "certificate of authenticity" card.

I have written the publisher concerning my disappointment. I will keep you posted as to their reply.

Joe
PS - Yes Tony I saw your reference about "two more cutaway book titles".... Groan... That's my library shelves you hear.

I was curious about this set of prints, and saw them at the Grand National Roadster Show today in the Rodders Journal booth there. I spoke with Steve Coonan about them, and it has not bee a big seller for them, I gather. Ok was about as good as he would say. I have known Steve for many years now, and he has done some nice work with the book, which is certainly one of the better of the periodicals out there, but those prints are not something that I would really want to have unless you were doing a 50s type of decoration and you wanted something like that. Those Burnett illustrations just aren't that good, especially when you compare them to the Allington, Millar or Tony Matthews art that was to come.
I can't imagine them sitting and signing all of the prints for something like this ... what is that, 12000 in total. Was the box signed or something? Just can't picture each print being signed.
Your packing problem seems to be a fulfillment situation, and not coming from the magazine, although I would expect them to make good on it.
Not sure what to tell you on this one, because those guys generally do a pretty decent job on their product.
He did give me one of the Burnett T-shirts ...
Tom West

#7722 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:23

Posted Image Posted Image

A re-post of Cavara's Stanguellini Formula Junior. This time with an accompanying article and brief technical specification.

I suppose the odds of the PM-Poggi ever appearing in cutaway form are slim.

(A superior scan of the car itself appears on page 83 originally posted by Tom West.)

#7723 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:31

Stanguellini F Jr article The Autocar 15th December 1961
Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 29 January 2011 - 10:32.

#7724 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:40

It must be the Stanguellini reading hour! Saturday 10:23am until 11:23am!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Further supplement!

Edited by werks prototype, 29 January 2011 - 11:12.

#7725 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:57

Edited to add Tony Matthews copyright watermarks on image.

Thanks, Karabas.

#7726 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 14:40

Excellent example of good British sense of humor to a little bit brighten up the weekend's boredom.

:up: The funniest book about cutaways I've ever seen - "Haynes Wallace & Gromit's Cracking Contraptions Manual"

And some pictures: http://www.haynes.co...e/downloads.htm

#7727 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 14:57

Excellent example of good British sense of humor to a little bit brighten up the weekend's boredom.

:up: The funniest book about cutaways I've ever seen - "Haynes Wallace & Gromit's Cracking Contraptions Manual"

I was looking at the Haynes Spitfire book the other day. I quite liked it.

http://www.haynes.co...catalogId=10001

Edited by alansart, 29 January 2011 - 14:57.

#7728 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 16:40

Posted Image
Barry Rowe. Perhaps also another new name to add to the burgeoning list of known artists.

An artist who illustrated "The Bosh book of the Motor Car"? (ISBN-10: 0004350162, ISBN-13: 978-0004350165)
The fundamentals of how cars work!
When I was in the Army, the walls of classrooms were firmly hung with posters, made exactly the same style: vivid, with thick red edges of the cuts :)

#7729 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 16:58

I was looking at the Haynes Spitfire book the other day. I quite liked it.

[

It does look quite likeable, Alan! Only problem is, if I buy it I'll have to buy all the others too...

#7730 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 17:00

It does look quite likeable, Alan! Only problem is, if I buy it I'll have to buy all the others too...

...exactly :)

#7731 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 17:28

An artist who illustrated "The Bosh book of the Motor Car"? (ISBN-10: 0004350162, ISBN-13: 978-0004350165)
The fundamentals of how cars work!
When I was in the Army, the walls of classrooms were firmly hung with posters, made exactly the same style: vivid, with thick red edges of the cuts :)

Absolutely spot on! :up:

So it is Barry Rowe! The book, which I incidentally own, is chock-full of such drawings. Some very loose, but they remain both charming and informative. (I think?)

I have done my own research, and.......

http://www.barryrowe.com/about.php

Could be the very same!

Edited by werks prototype, 29 January 2011 - 17:28.

#7732 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 17:56

Absolutely spot on! :up:

So it is Barry Rowe! The book, which I incidentally own, is chock-full of such drawings. Some very loose, but they remain both charming and informative. (I think?)

I have done my own research, and.......

http://www.barryrowe.com/about.php

Could be the very same!

Yes, indeed! And I even have his signed book - "Atmosphere and Light" № 802 of 1500. I did not have in mind that this is the same artist... Thanks, you opened my eyes!
That's what it means to deal mainly with aircraft. I must sometimes go down to the ground :)

#7733 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 18:08

Yes, indeed! And I even have his signed book - "Atmosphere and Light" № 802 of 1500. I did not have in mind that this is the same artist... Thanks, you opened my eyes!
That's what it means to deal mainly with aircraft. I must sometimes go down to the ground :)

Thank you! For confirmation.

I think this is his Trojan.

Posted Image
The Trojan engine. By Barry Rowe

#7734 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 18:38

I can't imagine them sitting and signing all of the prints for something like this ... what is that, 12000 in total. Was the box signed or something? Just can't picture each print being signed.
He did give me one of the Burnett T-shirts ... Tom West

I thought about how much work that would be and mentioned in my original post that I thought 2,000 sets was very optimistic.
My issue is that my reading of all their print and on line marketing information lead me to believe this was a signed and numbered edition of prints, and these prints are not signed nor numbered. If it were clear in their catalog description that these prints were not individually signed and numbered then I would not be feeling like I have been fleeced. In effect, this is an open edition, not a limited edition at all as at any time they can say; "We 'found' a few hundred more prints and we're going to sell them but without the certificate of authenticity." There is nothing to distinguish the so-called limited from the unlimited prints. Read their published info and tell me what you come away with. The damaged prints and shoddy packaging was the last straw. By the way, they also lead you to believe they are doing the packaging themselves. I sent a copy of my correspondence to their editorial address as well to the customer service address. Perhaps it will reach Steve Coonan. I'll keep you posted.
Glad you got a tee shirt.

#7735 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 18:42

Posted Image

Yeah,
Ref: "The Bosh book of the Motor Car" page 39.

#7736 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 19:23

Hi to you all. My latest profile illustration, not the GP F1 you all love but BRISCA F1 Stockcar world champion 3rd year in a row Andy Smith.

Please have a look and click on 'view full size for a better close up look. Hoping to do a cutaway of one of these cars this year.

F1 Stockcar world champion

all comments welcome.

Hi Roy,
Glad your post reappeared a I missed it the first time around. Nice work! Will it be used a poster, advert, etc?
Yes indeed a cutaway of one of those beasts would be interesting. Hope we get to see one.
Joe

#7737 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 21:17

I like the A35 breadvan, apparantly with rear wheel steer ?
Posted Image

#7738 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 21:40

It is surprising, in which unexpected places you can find wonderful examples of cutaway art:

The small print was bought absolutely casually in a little shop of old spare parts during the Christmas vacation in Prague
Unfortunately, absolutely no idea about the author :(
Czech bike MZ
Posted Image

Sorted with my son, his old children's books for the library - and here's an unexpected catch!
Can anyone help identify the author? Probably one of the three: Sean Wilkinson, John Scorey or Robert Walster
Ford Escort RS Cosworth
Posted Image

#7739 312f1

312f1

• 40 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 21:52

...er... German MZ (and not Czech CZ)...

It is surprising, in which unexpected places you can find wonderful examples of cutaway art:

The small print was bought absolutely casually in a little shop of old spare parts during the Christmas vacation in Prague
Unfortunately, absolutely no idea about the author :(
Czech bike MZ
Posted Image

Sorted with my son, his old children's books for the library - and here's an unexpected catch!
Can anyone help identify the author? Probably one of the three: Sean Wilkinson, John Scorey or Robert Walster
Ford Escort RS Cosworth
Posted Image

Advertisement

#7740 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 22:01

...er... German MZ (and not Czech CZ)...

Thanks for the correction!
Associative thinking has deceived: Czech Republic - Prague - bike... :)

#7741 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,033 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 23:22

Thank you! For confirmation.

Posted Image
The Trojan engine. By Barry Rowe

Very prettily coloured but it doesn't really show the Trojan engine I remember too well.
This seems more like it as it shows the characteristic duplex-cylinder two-stroke with its "impossible" forked con-rod:
Posted Image

Edited by Allan Lupton, 29 January 2011 - 23:23.

#7742 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 23:25

Ford Escort RS Cosworth
Posted Image

Ford Escort RS Cosworth by Terry Collins

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by ibsenop, 29 January 2011 - 23:28.

#7743 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,543 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 00:32

Very prettily coloured but it doesn't really show the Trojan engine I remember too well.
This seems more like it as it shows the characteristic duplex-cylinder two-stroke with its "impossible" forked con-rod:
Posted Image

Indeed! Much more information shown there.

According to my beloved copy of Day's 'Engines, The search for power'. The forked connecting rods were phasing each pair of pistons.

Edited by werks prototype, 30 January 2011 - 00:40.

#7744 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:55

Michael Stirm's Rolls Royce Phantom V16 quad cam previously posted by Tony Matthews on page 15....now shown in full glory
Posted Image

4 Ibsen's index,..it is a Michael Stirm drawing

I should have more of Stirm's work as he was apparantly the house artist for Auto und Motor Sport,
and I subscribed for umpteen years.
I know he did lots of engine cutaways, as well as imaginative renderings when rumours of new stuff
cropped up. I'll be digging up the loft/attic and Shurguard place again soon.

edit...it is probably Auto Motor und Sport

Edited by macoran, 30 January 2011 - 01:57.

#7745 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:11

Technically not cutaways, but here's another example of books with great draftmanship. The contents page and samples from Paul Matt's Scale Aircraft Drawings books, Volume 1 and Volume 2
Also, his drawings are available on CD-ROM: CD1; CD2; CD3 and CD4

...and as individual 3-view drawings

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7746 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:17

I made mention before of the superb books that are available to modellers. Here's some extracts from the Fokke-Wulf FW190 edition of Aero-Detail. I think they're all out of print, but there's more info about the aircraft covered here.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Each book contains only a few such drawings - The bulk of the pages are close-up photographs and 2D drawings illustrating the paint options.

#7747 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:40

Here's a couple of my favourite books. I bought them both from Amazon fairly recently so availability's less of a concern than with some of the other books:-

I recommend them highly.

Scale Aircraft Drawings: World War I (Amazon Link)
ISBN: 091129502X

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Scale Aircraft Drawings: World War II (Amazon Link)
ISBN: 0911295143
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by IrishMariner, 30 January 2011 - 05:40.

#7748 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:00

I thought about how much work that would be and mentioned in my original post that I thought 2,000 sets was very optimistic.
My issue is that my reading of all their print and on line marketing information lead me to believe this was a signed and numbered edition of prints, and these prints are not signed nor numbered. If it were clear in their catalog description that these prints were not individually signed and numbered then I would not be feeling like I have been fleeced. In effect, this is an open edition, not a limited edition at all as at any time they can say; "We 'found' a few hundred more prints and we're going to sell them but without the certificate of authenticity." There is nothing to distinguish the so-called limited from the unlimited prints. Read their published info and tell me what you come away with. The damaged prints and shoddy packaging was the last straw. By the way, they also lead you to believe they are doing the packaging themselves. I sent a copy of my correspondence to their editorial address as well to the customer service address. Perhaps it will reach Steve Coonan. I'll keep you posted.
Glad you got a tee shirt.

I am really sorry that you ran into that trouble with this situation. After my long talk with Steve yesterday, I did not get the impression that they will be interested in doing a second set. I honestly think this was promoted by the sons of Rex Burnett, who seem to think this stuff is going to just be a moneyprinting operation ... which it certainly isn't. Prints and all of that kind of thing are way off over here according to all of the artists that I know. The more expensive stuff is still selling, but the lower price range stuff has pretty well stopped.
As to the quality problems, I would agree with you, and you should be following it up with the Customer Service. I know that they are all still in Pomona at the moment ... through tomorrow. Will probably head home (Bay Area) on Monday .. .just assuming.
I had a three t-shirts of some of my drawings done, just to see about the response. I finally actually had someone ask about getting one of them yesterday ... but he was a friend of Tommy Ivo, who was the subject of the drawing on the shirt I wore yesterday.
I think that this group, and its advocacy of the cutaway, is very misleading at times as to the interest in this art form in the general market. Honestly, most people just don't give a damn, even if they think the drawings are sort of cool.
Tom West

#7749 RDV

RDV

• 6,731 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:55

TM-Only problem is, if I buy it I'll have to buy all the others too...

...know what you mean; got them, and often go back to them to peruse...very soothing for the inner nerd...another great book if not mentioned before is "Major Piston Aero Engines of WWII" by Victor Bingham loads of plane and engine cutaways by Lyndon Jones...whenever I feel withdrawal symptoms of not seeing gear train cascades I have a quick look at it :lol:

#7750 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:14

I think that this group, and its advocacy of the cutaway, is very misleading at times as to the interest in this art form in the general market. Honestly, most people just don't give a damn, even if they think the drawings are sort of cool.
Tom West

That perfectly sums up the situation, Tom. This is why I don't get involved in prints, and do not think I will ever produce a book of any kind - if someone else is prepared to fund it, OK, but I am not in the situation where I can ride a big financial loss, and I'm not into vanity publishing. However, long may this thread continue!