Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13379 replies to this topic

#7801 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 22:52

Going to post a couple of more of the Terry Davey Haynes covers, rather different cars.
First is the Datsun 280ZX, which was a real slug from what I remember here.

Posted Image

Second is the little Dodge Colt from 1980. These were pretty neat little cars, as they were based on the Mitsubishi model.

Posted Image

Tom West

Advertisement

#7802 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 23:33

Going to post a couple of more of the Terry Davey Haynes covers, rather different cars.
First is the Datsun 280ZX,
Posted Image

Tom West

A popular racer in your neck of the woods, I think, Tom. Didn't Mr Paul Newman race one of these?

#7803 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 23:55

First is the Datsun 280ZX, which was a real slug from what I remember here.
Tom West

Tom... I am sure those beasties were named Nissan!
Datsuns, were the tinny, scrappy bonk thingies from ten years before !!!

I worked for Datsun/Nissan as test driver for the first series of Bluebirds, which became the staple
Thai Taxi.
Ran the shit out of them within 1000 miles on a test track before NMC realised they weren't building anything capable of being a taxi.
Fiat tried it with the 1500, and I ran the thing in the ground.
Managed to bounce a 1500 over an embankment so hard the battery came unlodged and shorted against the bonnet !!
Haha .....I have had some laughs in life !!!

2nd generation Bluebird made it but you had to do some Fred Flinstone footwork after 5 years to help move it along
'cos the floor would have rusted through,..but hey a well used taxi need replacing every 5 years don't it ?

Edited by macoran, 05 February 2011 - 00:11.

#7804 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 00:12

A popular racer in your neck of the woods, I think, Tom. Didn't Mr Paul Newman race one of these?

Don't tell me they pulled the Datsun name back again ?

#7805 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 00:30

Don't tell me they pulled the Datsun name back again ?

You've got me there.

I do remember though, spending a lot of time 'researching' (a phrase which I know is rapidly becoming a cliche on tnf) on the brilliant Mark Windecker site, http://mwphotos.home...d.com/home.html which Tom would enjoy anyway, if he is not already familiar with it . And I'm sure I remember lots of wonderful photographs of 1980's Datsun Turbos etc, racing in the US.

Edited by werks prototype, 05 February 2011 - 00:35.

#7806 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 00:47

The Datsun name was used for quite a long time in the US market. I have a 1977 Datsun 280Z in my stable - nice car. The 280ZX was the next model, debuting for the 1979 model year. Same drivetrain but different body/chassis, even though it was styled somewhat the same. And yes Tom, it was a slug in my opinion as well. It was the result of Nissan deciding to go after the personal luxury vehicle market. Can't really fault them as they sold a ton of them. When Nissan dropped the Datsun name in the US they did so over a period of a few years while badging their cars with both names; "Datsun by Nissan" or something like that.
Paul Newman drove the 280Z race cars but I don't remember if he also drove the later 280ZX cars.

Joe

#7807 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 00:59

A less than complete list of the vehicles Paul drove confirms that Paul drove Datsun 280 Z, ZX, ZX turbo and 300 ZX turbo's from '79 to '83 before racing a Nissan 300 ZX turbo in 1984.

#7808 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:59

Running one of those prepped cars was very different from the street versions. The street cars were pretty doggy.
Tom West

#7809 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:02

Running one of those prepped cars was very different from the street versions. The street cars were pretty doggy.
Tom West

#7810 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:13

A less than complete list of the vehicles Paul drove confirms that Paul drove Datsun 280 Z, ZX, ZX turbo and 300 ZX turbo's from '79 to '83 before racing a Nissan 300 ZX turbo in 1984.

Hi Art,
Thanks for that list.
Joe

#7811 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:37

Hi Art,
Thanks for that list.
Joe

Your welcome Joe :wave:

#7812 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:34

I worked for Datsun/Nissan as test driver for the first series of Bluebirds, which became the staple
Thai Taxi.
Ran the shit out of them within 1000 miles on a test track before NMC realised they weren't building anything capable of being a taxi.
Managed to bounce a 1500 over an embankment so hard the battery came unlodged and shorted against the bonnet !!

2nd generation Bluebird made it but you had to do some Fred Flinstone footwork after 5 years to help move it along
'cos the floor would have rusted through,..but hey a well used taxi need replacing every 5 years don't it ?

:) I would pay good money to see footage of your test driving antics Marc!

#7813 boy

boy

• 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:58

Posted Image
Posted Image

http://drawnandquarr...d.blogspot.com/

#7814 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 20:19

Posted Image
The Morris Cowley chassis. By Barry Rowe.

Posted Image
Unknown or generic, Tubular chassis design. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Side valve arrangement of the Morris Cowley engine. By Barry Rowe.

#7815 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 20:21

Posted Image
Ryan NYP. Artist unknown.

#7816 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 20:23

Posted Image
Ford Anglia, front suspension system. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Early Vauxhall Independent front wheel system with Torsion Bar springing. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Renault Frigate, rear suspension. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
A US Knee-action springing system. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Ferrari Testarossa. Front suspension. By Stephen Seymour.

Posted Image
Ferrari Testarossa. Rear suspension. By Stephen Seymour.

Posted Image
N.S.U Prinz. Rear engine and suspension system. By Schlenzig.

Posted Image
N.S.U Ro 80 Rear suspension. By Schlenzig.

#7817 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 76 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 20:37

Hi Roy,
Glad your post reappeared a I missed it the first time around. Nice work! Will it be used a poster, advert, etc?
Yes indeed a cutaway of one of those beasts would be interesting. Hope we get to see one.
Joe

Hopefully I will do a cutaway of one of these. Most are still rebuilding for start of new season next month and all are up in North of England a fair distance from me, fingers crossed.

Have tried to sell posters, but in order to get rpice down would need to order bulk print run, so catch 22, spend loads to sell etc. or sell one or two.

cheers for comments

Roy

#7818 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 22:09

Thai Taxi.

I used to have a lot of experience with cabs when I went to New York or Chicago for the toy and hobby shows. Even those big Checkers were horrid. Any proximity of the door to the door opening was merely a suggestion. Wind or rain coming in was like the windows were left open. But they didn't rust overly quickly, and the Chevy motors tended to hold together reasonably well.
I always wondered why those things were so unique, and looked like a Zil or Moskavich or some Russian car out of the 40s. Turns out the guy at Checker was actually an ex-Russian that had come over to work for Checker. They were primarily a stamping source for the automotive industry, and went into the cabs for a finished product.
I know that, when they were selling those to the public as the Marathon, the dealers would offer the prospective a freeway ride out here, just so they could see that the windnoise was as if there were no doors on the car, just so they weren't being expected to try to repair the things.
Can't imagine anything lighter than this being used for cabs, but the English have always had rather distinctive old-timey looking things that seemed to work pretty well. Not sure how we got saddled with those loads of crap over the years.
Tom West

#7819 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:05

Ford J 1966 by unknown artist

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 190 - post 7562 => part A - post 7563 => part B

Advertisement

#7820 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:29

Thanks for the update Ibsen. :up:

#7821 Cdbx

Cdbx

• 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:02

Hey Guys, sorry to pop up in the middle of the thread but when I posted a new topic I ended up at the top of the Nostalgia forum.

Anyway,Ive been collecting motorsport art for 15 years and recently bought a TechArt Lotus F1 cutaway.Now Im hooked on cutaways. Can someone recommend some of the sites where I can purchase them? Thanks a lot, Chris

#7822 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:26

Can someone recommend some of the sites where I can purchase them? Thanks a lot, Chris

Chris, you can start with eBay. This is an example of my daily automated search
Be careful in the selection of prints and buy only original.

If you are interested in aviation - mediastorehouse.com. At this site you can find over 500 samples ready for sale (some buyers have noted poor quality of printing)

A. L. BENTLEY DRAWINGS

Hubert Cance Artworks

And of course do not forget to look here:Technical Cutaway Illustrations by Tom Johnson

Edited by Karabas, 06 February 2011 - 15:00.

#7823 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:52

Hey Guys, sorry to pop up in the middle of the thread but when I posted a new topic I ended up at the top of the Nostalgia forum.

Anyway,Ive been collecting motorsport art for 15 years and recently bought a TechArt Lotus F1 cutaway.Now Im hooked on cutaways. Can someone recommend some of the sites where I can purchase them? Thanks a lot, Chris

You need..................

http://www.terrifics...esults.asp?id=4

:up:

#7824 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 13:20

Hubert Cance Artworks

:up: That is an interesting site, hundreds of aircraft, including the Curtiss H16!

#7825 Motocar

Motocar

• 267 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 14:32

The monster Caterpillar 797truck 3D, by John Van Straaler, ilustrator

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Success

#7826 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 14:38

:up: That is an interesting site, hundreds of aircraft, including the Curtiss H16!

If you are really interested in the work of Hubert CANCE, I can recommend to purchase his portfolio (publisher's link).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I bought one complete set to my collection. Overall impression - a great artist and not a very careful design and printing.
Once again I want to warn - specify in advance with the seller the quality of polygraphy (ask for printing on matte paper!!).

#7827 Motocar

Motocar

• 267 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 14:43

Dont need cutaway..... The Gondon Diamond aximetric car, photo-cutaway

Posted Image

Posted Image

And McLaren Mp4-26 in Berlin public presentation......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Success

#7828 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 22:36

[quote name='werks prototype' date='Feb 5 2011, 21:23' post='4822177']
Posted Image
Early Vauxhall Independent front wheel system with Torsion Bar springing. Artist unknown.

Is that the system they used under licence from Dubonnet?
Roger Lund

#7829 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 23:20

Is that the system they used under licence from Dubonnet?
Roger Lund

I am unable to confirm whether that is the case Roger, but I'm sure someone will know. However, I believe the example below, is very definitely the system that you refer to, as later used by Vauxhall.

Posted Image
Dubonnet front suspension. 1931. By Barry Rowe.

#7830 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:39

Dont need cutaway..... The Gondon Diamond aximetric car, photo-cutaway

I believe this is the Gordon Diamond. A product of H. Gordon Hansen in 1947 in the US... California? I think..
Joe

Edit to correct last name spelling.

Edited by JoeKane, 07 February 2011 - 04:51.

#7831 madmad64

madmad64

• 26 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 13:14

Ford J 1966 by unknown artist

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 190 - post 7562 => part A - post 7563 => part B

dear ibsenop have another images (photos) of this car
send me at mad@netfly.it if is possible for you
thanks

#7832 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 16:29

2 lotus sport cars:the lotus 11 by robert Roux
Posted Image
and a lotus 19,artist unknown
Posted Image

#7833 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 19:26

2 lotus sport cars:the lotus 11 by robert Roux
Posted Image
and a lotus 19,artist unknown
Posted Image

Great find Christian! :up:

RR has certainly given the 11 a sparse treatment!

#7834 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 19:35

Posted Image
Renault 25, 2-Litre turbocharged diesel. By E.T.A.I France.

#7835 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,601 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:54

Michael Stirm's Rolls Royce Phantom V16 quad cam previously posted by Tony Matthews on page 15....now shown in full glory
Posted Image

4 Ibsen's index,..it is a Michael Stirm drawing

I should have more of Stirm's work as he was apparantly the house artist for Auto und Motor Sport,
and I subscribed for umpteen years.
I know he did lots of engine cutaways, as well as imaginative renderings when rumours of new stuff
cropped up. I'll be digging up the loft/attic and Shurguard place again soon.

edit...it is probably Auto Motor und Sport

This is quite I cool engine cutout of a really big engine, Thanks Macoran :up: :)

#7836 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:56

lotus 18,artist unknown
Posted Image
lotus 38 by james Allington,the quality is not good,if somebody has a better version,it is welcome
Posted Image

#7837 Cdbx

Cdbx

• 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 15:11

Chris, you can start with eBay. This is an example of my daily automated search

If you are interested in aviation - mediastorehouse.com. At this site you can find over 500 samples ready for sale (some buyers have noted poor quality of printing)

A. L. BENTLEY DRAWINGS

Hubert Cance Artworks

And of course do not forget to look here:Technical Cutaway Illustrations by Tom Johnson

Hey Quintin, thanks a bunch for the sites and the advice.. and the autosearch.My paypal may get a few hits today! Thanks again, Chris

#7838 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 15:51

Now Im hooked on cutaways.

My paypal may get a few hits today! Thanks again, Chris

You are welcome.

Oh! I almost forgot the most important advice: a true collecting even more excitedly than roulette.
Ask your best friend to be close and if the threat to your bank account becomes fatal, immediately turn off the internet! :)

#7839 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 17:20

lotus 18,artist unknown
Posted Image

Take a look into the shadow under the car ahead of the left rear wheel. Looks to me like it says Hatton. As in Brian Hatton.
Joe

Advertisement

#7840 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 17:33

You are welcome.

Oh! I almost forgot the most important advice: a true collecting even more excitedly than roulette.
Ask your best friend to be close and if the threat to your bank account becomes fatal, immediately turn off the internet! :)

Karabas, True, true....
Only trouble is all my friends would just egg me on to buy more.

Chris, take a look at these Rex Burnett prints. http://www.roddersjo...a...=page&id=44
While not the high art of Tony Matthews, they are an example of the cutaway art of cars of a particular era.
But be forewarned their idea of signed and numbered means a signed and numbered 'postcard' of authenticity. The prints themselves are NOT individually signed or numbered. Still the price is quite good. Just don't consider them a limited edition. My set arrived damaged and has been returned for replacement. If you troll a few pages back on this thread you will find my posts concerning my experience with these prints thus far. I will update everyone when the replacment set arrives.
Actually I would encourage you to start at the beginning and read the thread in it's entirety. Lots of history chronicled herein.
Cheers.
Joe

Edited by JoeKane, 08 February 2011 - 17:51.

#7841 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 19:07

Posted Image
Cooper Climax, 1960. By Herbert Müdsam.

#7842 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 19:11

Posted Image
Woodhead-Monroe, Telescopic shock absorber as fitted to Morris rear axle. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Woodhead-Monroe, Telescopic shock absorber as fitted to Morris rear axle. Artist unknown.

#7843 Cdbx

Cdbx

• 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 00:19

Karabas, True, true....
Only trouble is all my friends would just egg me on to buy more.

Chris, take a look at these Rex Burnett prints. http://www.roddersjo...a...=page&id=44
While not the high art of Tony Matthews, they are an example of the cutaway art of cars of a particular era.
But be forewarned their idea of signed and numbered means a signed and numbered 'postcard' of authenticity. The prints themselves are NOT individually signed or numbered. Still the price is quite good. Just don't consider them a limited edition. My set arrived damaged and has been returned for replacement. If you troll a few pages back on this thread you will find my posts concerning my experience with these prints thus far. I will update everyone when the replacment set arrives.
Actually I would encourage you to start at the beginning and read the thread in it's entirety. Lots of history chronicled herein.
Cheers.
Joe

Hey Joe, This is why I came here ,expert advice! Chris

#7844 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:50

Take a look into the shadow under the car ahead of the left rear wheel. Looks to me like it says Hatton. As in Brian Hatton.
Joe

It very well might be Hatton, but his signature usually crosses the tees with a line extended from the H, like Posted Image

Peter

#7845 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 16:27

Posted Image
Audi 80 Single belt-driven camshaft. By Schlenzig.

#7846 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,587 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 16:27

Posted Image
BRM 150. By Herbert Müdsam.

#7847 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:26

Going to put up three Terry Davey pieces this evening, starting with another Datsun, the 810 model out of 1980. That seems a bit late for the Datsun name, but that is what the manual used for the cover title.
Tom West

Posted Image

#7848 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:30

Our second, also called a Datsun, is the 1980 Violet. Not sure what that name was in the US, if it was brought here .. they all look a bit familiar.
Tom West

Posted Image

#7849 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:11

This is the Ford Fairmont of 1980. Not sure that I had anyone rodding a Fairmont, but it did make an interesting body for Bob Glidden to run in Pro Stock.
Tom West

Posted Image

#7850 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:59

ferrari 512s Takeshi Hosokawa
Posted Image