Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13079 replies to this topic

#8051 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 14:11

Oh! It's not difficult to recognize the author (slowly lighting a Holmes pipe :smoking: )

:) I think you are due that.

Jarosław Wrobel

Drew a large number of illustrations. His prints can be found everywhere: from the collections for paper modeling up to serious military monographs. Very popular among publishers.
Several years ago, the publisher AJ-PRESS has released a book about the artist's work. The publisher has promised to continue the series, but something they have slowed down. :confused:

One of my favorite paintings of this Artist (sorry for offtopic, just as an example of his great art):

Posted Image

That is a very nice work!

Two of my favorites, of that genre are a couple of Michael Turner 'action' paintings. The first depicts (actual description) the Spitfire IX of 'Johnny' Johnson leading his Canadian wing in a 'Rhubarb' attack before D-Day. And the second depicts the Bf 109E-3 of Gruppenkommandeur of III/fG 53, Werner Molders, knocking out a luckless Hawk 75C-1. Both are reproduced in Bill Gunstons, 'Classic Aircraft Fighters'. Although, in each case they are printed across the 'central trough' of a two page spread. But you can get the gist, nontheless.

Advertisement

#8052 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 16:33

Two of my favorites, of that genre are a couple of Michael Turner 'action' paintings. The first depicts (actual description) the Spitfire IX of 'Johnny' Johnson leading his Canadian wing in a 'Rhubarb' attack before D-Day. And the second depicts the Bf 109E-3 of Gruppenkommandeur of III/fG 53, Werner Molders, knocking out a luckless Hawk 75C-1. Both are reproduced in Bill Gunstons, 'Classic Aircraft Fighters'. Although, in each case they are printed across the 'central trough' of a two page spread. But you can get the gist, nontheless.

This pair? :wave:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once, I almost bought the Taylor's original painting, but the seller told me that I could not take it to another country... :cry:

Edited by Karabas, 27 February 2011 - 18:37.

#8053 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 18:22

This pair?
Once, I almost bought the Taylor's original painting, but the seller told me that I could not take it to another country... :cry:

Just a note of caution about posting too many Michael Turner paintings. His own company, studio88.co.uk, is currently advertising high-quality giclee prints of the Spitfire painting (among many others) and might have copyright concerns. Malcolm

Edited by MEI, 27 February 2011 - 18:24.

#8054 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 18:40

This pair? :wave:

Yep, the exact two!

#8055 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 18:54

Just a note of caution about posting too many Michael Turner paintings. His own company, studio88.co.uk, is currently advertising high-quality giclee prints of the Spitfire painting (among many others) and might have copyright concerns. Malcolm

Thanks, Malcolm. Copyright notes stamped on images. And no more Turner here, I'm sorry (only if someone suddenly find a pair of previously unknown cutaways by Joseph Mallord William :) )
By the way, I ordered something from studio88.co.uk, and I must say that their "high-quality" is quite possible to discuss in some cases

#8056 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 18:59

(only if someone suddenly find a pair of previously unknown cutaways by Joseph Mallord William :) )

:) If we did ever see such a thing, I think it would have to involve light decoupling from matter itself, such was his technique!

#8057 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 19:06

Posted Image
Lola GT.(London Racing Show. January 1963). A very pretty car. Artist unknown. By Cliff Marks?

Edited by werks prototype, 28 February 2011 - 22:15.

#8058 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 19:07

Posted Image
Alfa Type-158. G. Cavara.

#8059 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 20:15

Posted Image
Lola GT.(London Racing Show. January 1963). A very pretty car. Artist unknown.

Certainly an unusual style. Jim Allington did a cutaway of the Lola GT too, it may have been posted but I haven't checked Ibsen's amazing index - slap on wrist! I went to Lola in North london with Jim, the car was being worked on frantically, as it was due to be wheeled out and loaded on a truck - or trailer, but truck, I think - and taken to the Racing Car Show. Don Beresford was there, father of Nigel, the calm at the centre of the activity.

Edited to say, yes, 1963, and I was nineteen! Oddly, unlike some past events that 'seem like only yesterday', (I can remember when this was all fields! No, really? Yes, really!) it does actuallt seem like a long time ago!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 27 February 2011 - 20:19.

Advertisement

#8060 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 20:37

Certainly an unusual style. Jim Allington did a cutaway of the Lola GT too, it may have been posted but I haven't checked Ibsen's amazing index - slap on wrist! I went to Lola in North london with Jim, the car was being worked on frantically, as it was due to be wheeled out and loaded on a truck - or trailer, but truck, I think - and taken to the Racing Car Show. Don Beresford was there, father of Nigel, the calm at the centre of the activity.

Edited to say, yes, 1963, and I was nineteen! Oddly, unlike some past events that 'seem like only yesterday', (I can remember when this was all fields! No, really? Yes, really!) it does actuallt seem like a long time ago!

It certainly is a beautiful car, especially in the photographs taken from that show in 1963. (One such photo, has been 're-published' in the Racing Colours: British Racing Green, book)

Here is another interesting link, relating to Lola, which also contains a cutaway of the Ford Fairlane Lola GT http://www.metaphors...airlane-Lola-GT

Really lovely cars.

Edited by werks prototype, 27 February 2011 - 20:38.

#8061 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 20:46

And no more Turner here, I'm sorry (only if someone suddenly find a pair of previously unknown cutaways by Joseph Mallord William)

Not previously unknown (I found it via Google) but does this count as a JMW Turner Cutterway? Sorry!

Posted Image

#8062 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:28

Not previously unknown (I found it via Google) but does this count as a JMW Turner Cutterway? Sorry!

That is terrible, MEI. :) :up: (But by no means worse than what I myself am capable of)

#8063 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:02

http://www.metaphors...airlane-Lola-GT

Very interesting link, wp, and some of the detail shots look as though they were taken in the workshop at Lola, possibly by JA, but that is a long shot. I notice that £5,000 was equivalent to $14.000 in 1963...

#8064 TWest

TWest

• 1,411 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 18:24

Very interesting link, wp, and some of the detail shots look as though they were taken in the workshop at Lola, possibly by JA, but that is a long shot. I notice that £5,000 was equivalent to $14.000 in 1963...

I was about to make a snarky comment about "my scan" of the Lola GT Fairlane illustration ... as in "how could you guys have missed that?"
Before leaping off of that cliff based upon my own highly detailed memories, I checked my file to find that it is still sitting there unassembled in two pieces, but ready to go ...
Knew I had seen it in detail somewhere, and thought you guys had, too.
Guess I will have to get it going for a little larger file than the one shown on the website referenced.
Ever think that some day one might have the time to actually catch up on the crap we have to do ... certainly hasn't ever registered that way on me, I assure you. Think there are maybe 20 of those 2-piece things awaiting unitizing, plus a pile of Terry Davey pieces sitting on the corner of my drawing board awaiting scans ... probably a couple of hundred of them.
Not to mention the rest of those Cavara pages .. etc. ... etc.
Of course, as a few of you have seen, I have taken to much shorter photographic projects from shows and all of that sort of thing ... and I have a ton of that stuff sitting, too.
Tom West

#8065 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 20:07

I was about to make a snarky comment about "my scan" of the Lola GT Fairlane illustration ... as in "how could you guys have missed that?"
Before leaping off of that cliff based upon my own highly detailed memories, I checked my file to find that it is still sitting there unassembled in two pieces, but ready to go ...Knew I had seen it in detail somewhere, and thought you guys had, too.Guess I will have to get it going for a little larger file than the one shown on the website referenced.
Ever think that some day one might have the time to actually catch up on the crap we have to do ... certainly hasn't ever registered that way on me, I assure you. Think there are maybe 20 of those 2-piece things awaiting unitizing, plus a pile of Terry Davey pieces sitting on the corner of my drawing board awaiting scans ... probably a couple of hundred of them.
Not to mention the rest of those Cavara pages .. etc. ... etc.
Of course, as a few of you have seen, I have taken to much shorter photographic projects from shows and all of that sort of thing ... and I have a ton of that stuff sitting, too.
Tom West

I'm looking forward to seeing that! :up: (I wonder what other gems will turn up in that pile of twenty)

#8066 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 20:15

That would have been quite an expensive car! (Although, if its 'design' significance had been known, I suppose it would have been 'cheap')

http://www.thisismon...tion-calculator

#8067 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 20:33

Posted Image
The Formula Junior based, Lotus 23 from 1962. By Cliff Marks.

(I think now that the Lola GT in the post above, may also be by the hand of Cliff Marks)

#8068 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 21:10

(I think now that the Lola GT in the post above, may also be by the hand of Cliff Marks)

I don't think so, wp, unless he made a deliberate effort to change style. I think it is by another hand...

#8069 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 22:14

I don't think so, wp, unless he made a deliberate effort to change style. I think it is by another hand...

Ok :up: Thanks.

I shall cede to a greater eye!

#8070 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 15:47

Porsche 917 by Bill Bennett
Posted Image

#8071 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 16:38

ROBERT ROUX DAY
I have some Robert ROUX drawings never seen in the forum but in low definition or in small size,may be somebody have the same (or others) in good quality?

Here is a replacement for the 8C that you posted earlier on page 109, Christian.

Posted Image
Alfa Romeo Tipo 8C 2300, 1933. 'Nuvolari and Sommer''. By Robert Roux.

#8072 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 17:37

Porsche 917 by Bill Bennett
Posted Image

Very nice drawing from Bill Bennett - thanks CVA.

#8073 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 801 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 00:23

Mclaren M8B by unknown artist. Can't read his signature.

Posted Image

#8074 TWest

TWest

• 1,411 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 00:57

Posted Image

This illustration appears to have been built from an exploded Isometric drawing that I did on the Precision Miniatures McLaren M8D back in the 90s. I did all the part drawings, and put this rather large piece together to help the toolmakers figure out fits and all of that type of thing. It was then used to build the Instructions, but I am not sure that I ever knew who did the redraws, to be honest. Pretty much just traced and cleaned up from that quickly done Isometric, which was never intended to be published.
This seems to be those parts just brought together into a single piece.
Tom West

#8075 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,410 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:46

If you can find a copy of the US magazine Fine Scale Modeler for April 2011, there is an interesting feature on model cutaways of an F-86 Sabre and a MiG-17. Both are in 1/32, and mostly scratchbuilt. It's neat seeing three-dimensional versions of the art.

#8076 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,410 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:46

If you can find a copy of the US magazine Fine Scale Modeler for April 2011, there is an interesting feature on model cutaways of an F-86 Sabre and a MiG-17. Both are in 1/32, and mostly scratchbuilt. It's neat seeing three-dimensional versions of the art.

#8077 TWest

TWest

• 1,411 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:13

I wanted to get a couple of more of the illustrations out, so I am taking some classic 1980-era Sports cars for this evenings topic.
These will be Haynes Manual covers from Terry Davey, starting with the Ford Mustang from 1981. Don't think this was a big international car, but it was certainly popular in the US.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8078 TWest

TWest

• 1,411 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:16

The second of the four pieces for the evening is one of the Mustang's competitors in the Pony Car market, the Pontiac Firebird. This is not a Trans Am, although it would seem logical to do the top-of-the-line version. This would have been a 1982 model.

Posted Image

#8079 TWest

TWest

• 1,411 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:17

We move to Jolly Old for the last two cars, starting with the 1980 MGB.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#8080 TWest

TWest

• 1,411 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:23

And finally, the Triumph Spitfire of 1978.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8081 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:31

If you cannot find a copy of Fine Scale you can see some cutaway models here.

http://www.westway-a...els.com/18.html

#8082 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 14:38

:up: Very interesting. And my entry into this thread was predicated upon that very subject. The cutaway model. And we may yet be treated to seeing a snippet of Mr Matthews own cutaway model of Niki Lauda's Ferrari 312T. (hint hint)

If you cannot find a copy of Fine Scale you can see some cutaway models here.

http://www.westway-a...els.com/18.html

:love: The TSR-2

#8083 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 14:42

We move to Jolly Old for the last two cars, starting with the 1980 MGB.
Tom West
Posted Image

And finally, the Triumph Spitfire of 1978.
Tom West

Posted Image

Great stuff, Tom. I have something that will continue the MG theme which I will post a little later.

#8084 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 15:04

Posted Image

To compliment this, a slightly larger version of Hatton's M8A. Originally posted on page 27 by Ibsen.
Posted Image
McLaren M8A. By Brian Hatton.

#8085 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 15:05

Posted Image
Alfa Romeo Tipo 33-2, 1967. By Vic Berris.

#8086 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 15:59

Posted Image
MG Magnette K3. The 'Mille Miglia K3'. By Max Millar.

#8087 Robbie693

Robbie693

• 44 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:07

:up: Very interesting. And my entry into this thread was predicated upon that very subject. The cutaway model. And we may yet be treated to seeing a snippet of Mr Matthews own cutaway model of Niki Lauda's Ferrari 312T. (hint hint)

I just found a copy of that - in Classic Racing Cars by Cyril Posthumous - how long I poured over that as a kid, being my favourite F1 car of all time!

Robbie

#8088 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:36

I just found a copy of that - in Classic Racing Cars by Cyril Posthumous - how long I poured over that as a kid, being my favourite F1 car of all time!

Robbie

Have you? I don't think I have seen that. The copyright was LAT/Motor Sport, so no reason why it should not have been used, but I'm not familiar with the book. Trust wp to remember me mentioning the model! It was never finished, and was finally thrown away during one of the many upheavels I went through a few years ago. One of the problems of modifying a standard kit to make a cutaway version is demonstrated by the B17 on that site - the skin thickness is many times too great. I chamfered all the cut edges on the 312T so only a very thin edge was visible, but it takes time. The B17 should have had the cut ends of stringers/longerons visible, too, but I'm not surprised that it didn't!

#8089 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 16:37

Posted Image
One from Tom's side of the pond. 1928 Stutz chassis. By Max Millar.

#8090 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 16:38

Posted Image
Douglas DST. Possibly by Rex Burnett.

Posted Image
Sopwith Camel. By John Batchelor.

Posted Image
De Havilland Moth. By Artist unknown.

#8091 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 16:39

Posted Image
1930 Talbot 90. 'Fox & Nicholl' racing team. By Max Millar.

#8092 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 16:41

Robbie

It is a real coincidence that you should mention Cyril Posthumus. I was recently browsing the deeper recesses of tnf, and came across quite a moving biographical piece on the man, written in 2002.

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=1016765

#8093 TWest

TWest

• 1,411 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 19:03

Posted Image
One from Tom's side of the pond. 1928 Stutz chassis. By Max Millar.

Not that this Stutz piece is one of my favorites, but Max Millar got to be very amazing later in his career. Wish that I had some of those pieces without all the reference number bubbles all over them. Think he did a Vanwall that I really like. And, the aircraft art that he started with the tone wash drawings out of the 30s turned into some very contemporary highly detailed pieces by the 50s. Amazing talent, and credited with being the originator of the contemporary cutaway in that Museum presentation in London about ten years ago.
Tom West

#8094 TWest

TWest

• 1,411 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 19:17

It is a real coincidence that you should mention Cyril Posthumus. I was recently browsing the deeper recesses of tnf, and came across quite a moving biographical piece on the man, written in 2002.

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=1016765

I think we could all have less favorable biographies written. I know that the main reason that I remember him is a very nice book on the Land Speed Record history that Mr. Posthumus wrote. It went missing a few years ago, and I have never been able to locate it. I had made my library available, and I have a feeling that someone took advantage of it. Too bad, as there were many of the cutaways of LSR cars over the years that were covered in the book thus making it a bit of a special treasure for me, but probably not the current possessor.
Anyway, Cyril Posthumus was a real treasure to automotive historians.
Tom West

#8095 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 206 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 19:19

Here's a lucky find. I ordered a used-book from Alibris because I am recently interested in the subject-matter (Japan's WWII submarines that carried aircraft), but was delighted to find the book is gloriously illustrated and includes cutaways. I highly, highly recommend the book. Great production by Hikoki

The book: I-400 Japan's Secret Aircraft-Carrying Strike Submarine - Objective Panama Canal

Sample Images:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8096 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 21:31

Here's a lucky find. I ordered a used-book from Alibris because I am recently interested in the subject-matter (Japan's WWII submarines that carried aircraft), but was delighted to find the book is gloriously illustrated and includes cutaways. I highly, highly recommend the book. Great production by Hikoki

The book: I-400 Japan's Secret Aircraft-Carrying Strike Submarine - Objective Panama Canal

Sample Images:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Certainly is an interesting bit of kit! It would be interesting to understand the practicalities of restowing the planes post mission. I realise there would have to have been an ocean surface rendezvous of some sort, but nevertheless. I'm guessing that the Submarine would necessarily have to 'lurk'. Winch?

#8097 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 21:41

Not that this Stutz piece is one of my favorites, but Max Millar got to be very amazing later in his career. Wish that I had some of those pieces without all the reference number bubbles all over them. Think he did a Vanwall that I really like. And, the aircraft art that he started with the tone wash drawings out of the 30s turned into some very contemporary highly detailed pieces by the 50s. Amazing talent, and credited with being the originator of the contemporary cutaway in that Museum presentation in London about ten years ago.
Tom West

Yep :up: Very definitely. (I actually really like those 'wash' works as well)

I think the Vanwall may have been posted as a link only, on page 81, Tom. I have the Cresswell version, similarly replacing that link given on page 92.

Posted Image
2.5 litre Formula 1 Vanwall. By Leslie Cresswell.

#8098 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 21:45

I think we could all have less favorable biographies written. I know that the main reason that I remember him is a very nice book on the Land Speed Record history that Mr. Posthumus wrote. It went missing a few years ago, and I have never been able to locate it. I had made my library available, and I have a feeling that someone took advantage of it. Too bad, as there were many of the cutaways of LSR cars over the years that were covered in the book thus making it a bit of a special treasure for me, but probably not the current possessor.
Anyway, Cyril Posthumus was a real treasure to automotive historians.
Tom West

I'd like to get that particular book. It has to be more accurate than the Holthusen book that I have. That has got me into hot water on many occasions.

#8099 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 21:49

Have you? I don't think I have seen that. The copyright was LAT/Motor Sport, so no reason why it should not have been used, but I'm not familiar with the book. Trust wp to remember me mentioning the model! It was never finished, and was finally thrown away during one of the many upheavels I went through a few years ago. One of the problems of modifying a standard kit to make a cutaway version is demonstrated by the B17 on that site - the skin thickness is many times too great. I chamfered all the cut edges on the 312T so only a very thin edge was visible, but it takes time. The B17 should have had the cut ends of stringers/longerons visible, too, but I'm not surprised that it didn't!

Didn't you retain a photo of some sort though?

Advertisement

#8100 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 22:05

Yep :up: Very definitely. (I actually really like those 'wash' works as well)

I think the Vanwall may have been posted as a link only, on page 81, Tom. I have the Cresswell version, similarly replacing that link given on page 92.

Posted Image
2.5 litre Formula 1 Vanwall. By Leslie Cresswell.

Posted Image

I think this is more like the correct orientation - and a very nice cutaway of an iconic car. I think that is the first time I have ever written the word 'iconic'!