Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13306 replies to this topic

#8101 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,640 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 22:18

Have you? I don't think I have seen that. The copyright was LAT/Motor Sport, so no reason why it should not have been used, but I'm not familiar with the book.

No problem in sourcing a copy, Tony - plenty available on Amazon from one penny http://www.amazon.co...;condition=used

Advertisement

#8102 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 00:31

No problem in sourcing a copy, Tony - plenty available on Amazon from one penny http://www.amazon.co...;condition=used

Thanks Alan - not sure I'll bother, but I appreciate the link. Ironic that there is 'no image available' for a book of - partly - images! I'm always intrigued by the way one's previous wanderings through a site like Amazon are signalled when one joins via a different route. As I scrolled down through the list of that book, I was presented with the satellite dish I bought from Amazon, and bolted to my house this very afternoon! F1 in HD - bring it on!

#8103 Robbie693

Robbie693

• 44 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:16

Have you? I don't think I have seen that. The copyright was LAT/Motor Sport, so no reason why it should not have been used, but I'm not familiar with the book. Trust wp to remember me mentioning the model! It was never finished, and was finally thrown away during one of the many upheavels I went through a few years ago. One of the problems of modifying a standard kit to make a cutaway version is demonstrated by the B17 on that site - the skin thickness is many times too great. I chamfered all the cut edges on the 312T so only a very thin edge was visible, but it takes time. The B17 should have had the cut ends of stringers/longerons visible, too, but I'm not surprised that it didn't!

Ooops! Sorry - it appears I got my wires crossed (not uncommon) I was referring to the cutaway illustration. I confess I was skimming through the posts doing catch-up after being away for a bit and didn't pick up on the fact that Werks was talking about models of the 3d scale variety :blush:

I was referring to this one, posted by Tim Murray a long while ago, although the version in Cyril's book is without the yellow background:

Posted Image

Sorry for the confusion

Robbie

#8104 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:33

Ooops! Sorry - it appears I got my wires crossed (not uncommon) I was referring to the cutaway illustration.

Sorry for the confusion

No confusion Robbie, I knew what you were refering to, and my reply was directed at that - I then went on to reply to wp about the cutaway model that he mentioned earlier.

#8105 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:41

Posted Image
Chaparral 2D. By Vic Berris.

A slightly different context than that of the version originally posted by Ibsen at page 70 (+ a couple of extra 'arrows' at the intake) Barely justifiable, I know.

#8106 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:44

Posted Image
Frazer Nash 'Gough'. 1496cc 4-cylinder. By Max Millar.

Posted Image
Frazer Nash chain drive. By Barry Rowe. Not a cutaway.

Edited by werks prototype, 04 March 2011 - 17:49.

#8107 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:47

Posted Image
Frazer Nash, Post-war 2-litre. BMW Independent front suspension. By Riche.

Posted Image
Frazer Nash, 1952, de Dion-type rear axle, A-arm and floating joint detail. Artist unknown.

Edited by werks prototype, 04 March 2011 - 17:49.

#8108 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 23:02

Ferrari 512 M by Fornander

Posted Image

#8109 Robbie693

Robbie693

• 44 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:19

No confusion Robbie, I knew what you were refering to, and my reply was directed at that - I then went on to reply to wp about the cutaway model that he mentioned earlier.

Ok So I guess I just confused myself!

Anyway, the Posthumous book version still has the LAT logo on it so I presume Hamlyn (publishers) were up front about it. It was one of my favourite books and has some great cutaways in it, although I suspect most of them have been posted here already.

I've found a few cutaway posters recently too, that I had completely forgot about (been having a clear-out). I'll have to check the index to see if I've uncovered anything new

Cheers

Robbie

#8110 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 15:06

Posted Image
Honda 250-350 Six-cylinder, 1969. By Paolo Riccioni and Guido Canestrari. Not really a cutaway.

#8111 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 15:06

Posted Image
Morbidelli 125- 1976. By Paolo Riccioni and Guido Canestrari. Not really a cutaway.

#8112 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 15:07

Posted Image
Mitsubishi MPR-13 Pajero Evolution. By Morten Lyhne.

#8113 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 15:08

Posted Image
An only slightly better version of the Chris Plant, Lancia Stratos drawing.

Edited by werks prototype, 05 March 2011 - 15:38.

#8114 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 20:21

Here is a replacement for the Mclaren M8A by Mati Palk posted earlier on page 27.

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 200 - post 7976 => part A - post 7977 => part B

Edited by ibsenop, 05 March 2011 - 22:15.

#8115 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:26

Guys,
Just wanted you to know that I picked up a bunch of those prints of Shin Yoshikawa illustrations today. Not even sure how many, but they are very clean and printed on heavy stock at 8.5x11, very clear and crisp so the detail will hold well in scanning, I am thinking. I have some more of the Terry Davey stuff to finish and will start working in those illustrations for your edification, but never for your amusement. These are to be for educational purposes only in studying the artform, as we all know, and not just for everyone's jollies as a collector. There is to be no commercial use or resale of these files, or any others on this esteemed Board.
Well, probably with the exception of the Russian group who pulls them ... another matter.
Tom West

#8116 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:41

Here is a replacement for the Mclaren M8A by Mati Palk posted earlier on page 27.

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 200 - post 7976 => part A - post 7977 => part B

:up: We just need to find a legible version of the M8B that appears on page 102, now!

#8117 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:46

Guys,
Just wanted you to know that I picked up a bunch of those prints of Shin Yoshikawa illustrations today. Not even sure how many, but they are very clean and printed on heavy stock at 8.5x11, very clear and crisp so the detail will hold well in scanning, I am thinking. I have some more of the Terry Davey stuff to finish and will start working in those illustrations for your edification, but never for your amusement. These are to be for educational purposes only in studying the artform, as we all know, and not just for everyone's jollies as a collector. There is to be no commercial use or resale of these files, or any others on this esteemed Board.
Well, probably with the exception of the Russian group who pulls them ... another matter.
Tom West

How will you store these, Tom? Any special measures?

I have one of my dads old plan chests. But, (look away now) I have seen some terrible sights, particularly involving those 'telescopic' storage tubes.

#8118 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:55

I have one of my dads old plan chests. But, (look away now) I have seen some terrible sights, particularly involving those 'telescopic' storage tubes.

Certainly nothing much heavier than thin paper should be kept in those tubes for more than a short while, flat if you can. Storage is always, unfortunately, a problem, unless you are Joe Kane! :)

#8119 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:39

Certainly nothing much heavier than thin paper should be kept in those tubes for more than a short while, flat if you can. Storage is always, unfortunately, a problem, unless you are Joe Kane! :)

:)

I had considered purchasing, in the future, one of those A0 vertical filing systems, (the logic being that eventually I could get a few) but in the end, I just didn't like the idea of paper standing on its edge all day, short of my having to sandwich each piece individually between two sheets of card.

I don't even want to go down the road of what it must be like having the responsibility of maintaining a professional back catalogue of work.

Advertisement

#8120 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:50

I had considered purchasing, in the future, one of those A0 vertical filing systems, (the logic being that eventually I could get a few) but in the end, I just didn't like the idea of paper standing on its edge all day, short of my having to sandwich each piece individually between two sheets of card.

I don't even want to go down the road of what it must be like having the responsibility of maintaining a professional back catalogue of work.

The only vertical filing system that works is one that grips the sheet on the upper edge. Engineering drawing offices used to have, probably still have unless all early drawings have been digitized, vertical storage systems with fearsome fangs that the drawings were hung on, via (I think) slots in a reinforcing strip. Opening one of these cabinets was like peering into the maw of the now - thankfully - extinct Giant Sabre-toothed Clam. I keep my working drawings in a plan chest, and most of the prints from them that I have - not a complete set by any means. Some of the finished originals are there too, but mostly they lean up against a wall, either framed or un-framed. As they are on heavy card in doesn't hurt - they just get in the way.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 06 March 2011 - 11:51.

#8121 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:55

was like peering into the maw of the now - thankfully - extinct Giant Sabre-toothed Clam.

The extinct Giant Sabre-toothed Clam??? :rotfl:

I shall be looking that up, when I get the chance!

#8122 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,022 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 13:27

Posted Image
De Havilland Moth. By Artist unknown.

Can't place it at present but it's not a de Havilland Moth.
Could be a Blackburn of some sort as the fin/rudder shape is about right, but they used side-by-side seating.

#8123 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 14:13

I should have picked that up too! Definitely not a DH fin/rudder profile. I only glanced at it and assumed the caption was correct!

#8124 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 14:14

Could be a Blackburn of some sort as the fin/rudder shape is about right, but they used side-by-side seating.

Ok, thanks. I will update my entry according to your findings.

#8125 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,022 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 14:28

I should have picked that up too! Definitely not a DH fin/rudder profile. I only glanced at it and assumed the caption was correct!

We de Havilland old boys tend to be a bit protective about our heritage!

#8126 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 15:47

Posted Image Posted Image

Found this piece on Theo Page in Autosport 2nd Jan 1997. Anyone know more about Theo ?

I think that Bruce Jones is in error in calling the main cutaway A BRM H-16. I think it is a '64 - '65 P261

Edited by macoran, 06 March 2011 - 16:01.

#8127 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 16:19

Hi Marc, you've been quiet! With regard to the text accompanying the Theo Page cutaways, there is a comment about how disappointing it is that cutaways are rarely seen nowadays (1997). Well, it's all very well complaining, why did they not commission any? Why turn down, as some of mine where, free cutaways? Very odd...

#8128 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 732 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 16:35

The only vertical filing system that works is one that grips the sheet on the upper edge. Engineering drawing offices used to have, probably still have unless all early drawings have been digitized, vertical storage systems with fearsome fangs that the drawings were hung on, via (I think) slots in a reinforcing strip. Opening one of these cabinets was like peering into the maw of the now - thankfully - extinct Giant Sabre-toothed Clam.

You forgot to mention the daily curse of the contents of such an overstuffed cabinet sliding off the end of the forks and disappearing deep in to the bottom if you allowed you attention to waver for a millisecond. That, and the pain in the backside of trying to correctly apply the hanging tape to a long edge of an A0 drawing.

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 06 March 2011 - 16:36.

#8129 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 16:55

You forgot to mention the daily curse of the contents of such an overstuffed cabinet sliding off the end of the forks and disappearing deep in to the bottom if you allowed you attention to waver for a millisecond. That, and the pain in the backside of trying to correctly apply the hanging tape to a long edge of an A0 drawing.

Ah well, Nigel, that's what Office Juniors are for! Drafting film has a mind of its own, one moment stuck to smooth surfaces with static, the next displaying a slipperiness that makes PTFE look like Velcro. It just goes to show that there is no one perfect way of storing drawings and yet allowing quick, pain-free retreival, and I include digital files, as looking at them on a screen is tedious. I supose an A0 reflection-free screen would be a partial solution...

#8130 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 17:18

Posted Image

The superb Bieffe Vertical Plan File - no film-based Drawing Office is complete with out one. Picture copyright Bieffe. Just look at those teeth!

#8131 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 19:44

Ha!!! I have WAY too many posters and prints stored rolled in tubes. One of the rooms in the new shop will be devoted to reclaiming them back to flat (I hope to be able to do so anyway). It may take up that room for several months time as I'm not sure it can be done quickly, if in fact it can be done at all...

As far as I can tell plan chests are the best way to go. Shall I tell you the story of passing up several of them a few years back because I did not have a place to put them? The story gets worse... they were offered for free... A client was throwing them away. Owh, I wish I had them now!

Posted Image

The superb Bieffe Vertical Plan File - no film-based Drawing Office is complete with out one. Picture copyright Bieffe. Just look at those teeth!

Ah we see it at long last... The extinct Giant Sabre-toothed Clam!!!
Extinct due to the high cost of storage square footage I presume.

Joe

#8132 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:02

ZF gearbox as used on the Lotus 49
Posted Image
It is unsigned but I have it down as a Theo Page work.

#8133 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:09

ZF gearbox as used on the Lotus 49
Posted Image
It is unsigned but I have it down as a Theo Page work.

That does not look like Theo Page to me. I could well be wrong, but I would suggest that the illustration was done in Germany, probably by a ZF staffer. It has a certain DIN quality...

#8134 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:20

I am glad that everyone is concerned that I am storing those prints correctly, as much of this stuff was in an attic, and various other places. I have the others stacked to make sure they get done, along with those photocopies on all the Haynes covers, which is still a fairly substantial stack.
The Yoshikawa prints are standard legal size gloss-finish paper prints, assuming not computer printing, so they will go into the file cabinet with the others of their ilk.
I am starting the new run with seven subjects, with maybe 3X that to go ... just to tease it a bit. The first is the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8135 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:22

Second in the Shin collection of Saturday ... the update ... is the Porsche 911 GT1. I am showing this as a 1997 car.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8136 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:24

Next, for our British friends, we have the lightweight Racing Jaguar E-type hardtop Roadster.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8137 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:26

As far as I can tell plan chests are the best way to go.

A well-designed plan chest is also, or can be, an attractive piece of furniture. My father had a very nice wooden one in his large-ish livingroom, a wooden unit, Imperial size, probably equating to A0 but probably called Double Elephant or summat. I must Google the Imperial sizes/names - I think I used to know, we probably learned it at college, just as the dreaded Continental 'A' sizes were being introduced, along with Helvetica type-faces... My plan chest is slightly less attractive, made by a company called Magpie. There was a time, thirty years ago, when just about every Graphic Design studio that you went to was fully equiped with Magpie desks, tables, plan chests and corner units, they had a stranglehold on the budget end of the market. In fact, they mirrored the main interior design trends of the era, echoing a lot of the stuff one saw in Habitat and other design outlets that catered for the impecunious but style-concious 'yoof' market. Mine has a red powder-coated (possibly painted) steel frame with pine-veneered panels and solid pine drawer fronts. Nice! Although I wopuld have prefered my father's lovely blonde wood version, but it wasn't to be...

It doesn't alter the fact that space - SPACE - is the biggest problem, and I haven't got much. Yet...

#8138 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:31

Another Shin Yoshikawa piece, this being the Mercedes 200SLR Uhlenhaut Coupe.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8139 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:32

Here be Shin Yoskikawa's Porsche Boxter.
Did that come off piratish?
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#8140 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:34

Next up is the Toyota Sports 800 from Shin Yoshikawa.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8141 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:37

And finally for the afternoon ... at least this part of it ... we have Shin Yoshikawa's Porsche Carrera Abarth.
These were from a box of prints, and the display book, that Shin had brought to the store a few years back. I have bought a few of them at normal price over the years, but have not been in a position to do much. Autotooks store owner Tina let me have a bunch of them for a set price, which really brought the per-piece cost down significantly. Figured that I should share them with you guys ... now send me a check ... :rotfl:
Tom West

Posted Image

#8142 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:39

Posted Image Posted Image

Found this piece on Theo Page in Autosport 2nd Jan 1997. Anyone know more about Theo ?

I think that Bruce Jones is in error in calling the main cutaway A BRM H-16. I think it is a '64 - '65 P261

Always great to see what spills out of that well-traveled library of yours. Thanks for jumping in here. Hope you are all doing OK.
Tom West

#8143 10kDA

10kDA

• 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:43

I have a question for the artists, cutaway and otherwise, reading this topic. How would I go about creating a 3-view from photographs? I would imagine Tony, Tom and the others have had to create perspectives or isometrics from 3-views many times - but how can I reverse the process? Any advice would be most appreciated. I realize this is off-topic and I would welcome PMs on this subject.

Thanks,

Chris

#8144 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:44

...catered for the impecunious but style-concious 'yoof' market.
It doesn't alter the fact that space - SPACE - is the biggest problem, and I haven't got much. Yet...

Okay, I'll bite.... What, or who is a 'Yoof'? Must be before (or after?) my time...

Space - It does not seem to matter how much space one has, it is still always a problem. At least it always has been for me :stoned:
Say Tony, don't you build things currently? Perhaps you buld yourself a bit of space in between building for paying clients.

Edited by JoeKane, 06 March 2011 - 20:50.

#8145 Automobiliart

Automobiliart

• 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:55

I have a question for the artists, cutaway and otherwise, reading this topic. How would I go about creating a 3-view from photographs? I would imagine Tony, Tom and the others have had to create perspectives or isometrics from 3-views many times - but how can I reverse the process? Any advice would be most appreciated. I realize this is off-topic and I would welcome PMs on this subject.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris
As an artist, I've been very intrigued about make a 2D illustration into a 3D illustration, a sort of "trompe l'oeil".
You can see the results here: http://automobiliart...-out-of-2d.html
I knew it was working when an office colleague started getting queasy looking at it. :)
Cheers!
Paul

#8146 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:59

Posted Image
De Havilland Moth. By Artist unknown.

Definitely, Blackburn
Unfortunately, I will not say immediately that the model, but at the time of creation - somewhere between Blackburn Bluebird and Blackburn B2. I'm afraid to make a mistake, but it seems like earliest variant of Blackburn B2

Edited by Karabas, 06 March 2011 - 21:03.

#8147 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 22:11

Mercedes 200SLR Uhlenhaut Coupe.

Tom...shh....... it says 300SLR on the trunk (boot)

#8148 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 22:13

Porsche Carrera Abarth.

I am wondering what Carlo Abarth's team could have done to make a Carrera go faster, is it really titled as such ?

#8149 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 22:15

That does not look like Theo Page to me. I could well be wrong, but I would suggest that the illustration was done in Germany, probably by a ZF staffer. It has a certain DIN quality...

You must be right Tony I only guestimated it, because most of the other drawings in the book are Page's.
Oops no, there is a Brian Hatton in there as well.

Looking at Theo Page's rendering of the Hewland LG500, there is definitely style difference to be noted.

Edited by macoran, 06 March 2011 - 22:18.

#8150 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 23:07

Okay, I'll bite.... What, or who is a 'Yoof'? Must be before (or after?) my time...

Space - It does not seem to matter how much space one has, it is still always a problem. At least it always has been for me :stoned:
Say Tony, don't you build things currently? Perhaps you buld yourself a bit of space in between building for paying clients.

Sorry Joe, that was a bit specific to the UK, and not all of it - it's a corruption of 'youth', and based on the strangulation of English by so many.

Well, there's probably a law referring to space - something like Kane's Law - "Space rapidly fills with stuff at a rate proportional to its creation, ensuring that the lack of space is always equally pressing."

If the clients paid a bit more I might be in the position to add the extra rooms I so badly need. I suppose I could go downwards - after three weeks digging holes in Devon, through a type of ground I call Buckfast* Shite because I cannot remember its true geological name, I find I have a knack for quarrying.

*Buckfast/Buckfastleigh was the area I was working, and the ground was a mix of heavy soil and shards of flat stone - very depressing.