Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13424 replies to this topic

#8151 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,765 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 23:24

Second in the Shin collection of Saturday ... the update ... is the Porsche 911 GT1. I am showing this as a 1997 car.
Tom West

Posted Image

:up: Great stuff, Tom! (They are all great, but I particularly like this)

Did he do a Mercedes clk-gtr as well?

Advertisement

#8152 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,765 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 23:31

Posted Image Posted Image

Found this piece on Theo Page in Autosport 2nd Jan 1997. Anyone know more about Theo ?

I think that Bruce Jones is in error in calling the main cutaway A BRM H-16. I think it is a '64 - '65 P261

Pretty darn unique stuff as usual, Marc. :up:

#8153 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,765 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 23:33

Posted Image
Aston Martin chassis. 1932 'international' sports road car form. By Max Millar.

#8154 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,765 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 23:34

Posted Image
Aston Martin DB2. By Artist unknown Harold Bubb. Thanks marlondylan.

Edited by werks prototype, 07 March 2011 - 18:15.

#8155 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,765 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 23:34

Posted Image
Aston Martin DB5, four seater, 4 litre, 1964. By John Ferguson.

#8156 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,765 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 23:52

Here be Shin Yoskikawa's Porsche Boxter.
Did that come off piratish?
Tom West

Posted Image

Aye!

Edited by werks prototype, 07 March 2011 - 18:16.

#8157 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:56

Tom...shh....... it says 300SLR on the trunk (boot)

Ah ... what happens when trying to get those out and get moving for the day ...
Sorry about that. Obviously the 300SL based car.
Tom West

#8158 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:58

I am wondering what Carlo Abarth's team could have done to make a Carrera go faster, is it really titled as such ?

Marc,
Yes, it certainly is. Think I have seen others along that line, but I am sure they did some extra tweaking of some sort, but not sure of what. Should have the feature on the car around somewhere, so if I find it, I will try to get the info for you.
Tom West

#8159 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:00

:up: Great stuff, Tom! (They are all great, but I particularly like this)

Did he do a Mercedes clk-gtr as well?

If he has, I do not recall seeing it.
Tom West

Advertisement

#8160 marlondylan

marlondylan

• 50 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:36

Posted Image
Aston Martin DB2. By Artist unknown

This drawing was first published in "The Motor", the name of the artist included, this one coming from an Aston Martin publication.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by marlondylan, 07 March 2011 - 09:42.

#8161 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:08

This drawing was first published in "The Motor", the name of the artist included, this one coming from an Aston Martin publication.

Posted Image

It looks great against the blue - one thing about a heavy shadow, you can always give it the 'spotlight' treatment. Very nice drawing, too.

#8162 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:30

Posted Image

Penske PC27 working drawing detail. I had this out due to a small surge of interest, so thought I'd scan a bit of it.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 07 March 2011 - 10:33.

#8163 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:52

Posted Image

By contrast, the Williams FW18 from two years earlier. Ah, the Williams Renault series...

#8164 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 16:29

Aaah thank you, Mr. Matthews, for posting these two.
I do enjoy the fine detail of your exquisite working drawings.
I've spent quite some time studying these two... and have determined I need a larger monitor... :drunk:

#8165 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 17:50

... and have determined I need a larger monitor... :drunk:

Joe, you need to save the TM drawings as a .jpeg s
transfer it to your stand alone multi media HD
then show the pictures on your wide screen tv
sit down in your lazy chair
grab a beer
a bag of chips
drop your jaw
and stare at Matthews masterpieces one by one

better than anything they have on the telly nowadays !

#8166 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,765 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 18:11

Posted Image

:up: Harold Bubb! Thanks very much for identifying that. I shall amend the original post.

Thanks again!

#8167 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,765 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 18:13

Posted Image

By contrast, the Williams FW18 from two years earlier. Ah, the Williams Renault series...

I am completely out of superlatives. Instead, I shall take Marc's advice and just sit back and take these works in nice and slowly!

Beautiful and sublime work! :up:

#8168 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 18:44

Next up is the Toyota Sports 800 from Shin Yoshikawa.
Tom West

Posted Image

another Toyota Sports 800 - illustrator unknown
Posted Image
Peter

#8169 marlondylan

marlondylan

• 50 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 19:47

250GT SWB probably by Betti.

Posted Image

Edited by marlondylan, 07 March 2011 - 19:48.

#8170 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 20:37

Posted Image

Tony,
I have done these things for years, and seeing your working drawings like this make me feel like I have been doing something completely different than what you are doing. Thanks for continuing to provide that creative inspiration that you have done for many years. Again, great work.
Tom West

#8171 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 20:49

Well, different vehicles Tom, what you have done in your field is superb. Thanks for the compliment. By the way, Jay Leno must be proud to have appeared in the same photograph as you!

#8172 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 217 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 22:02

Tony,
I have done these things for years, and seeing your working drawings like this make me feel like I have been doing something completely different than what you are doing....Tom West

This reminds me of the famous quote from golf legend Bobby Jones. When a young Jack Nicklaus won the 1965 Masters, Jones said NIcklaus “was playing a game with which I am not familiar".

#8173 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 22:04

Posted Image

Penske PC27 working drawing detail. I had this out due to a small surge of interest, so thought I'd scan a bit of it.

Tony, these are beautifully thought through and drawn :up:

#8174 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:16

This reminds me of the famous quote from golf legend Bobby Jones. When a young Jack Nicklaus won the 1965 Masters, Jones said NIcklaus “was playing a game with which I am not familiar".

Yeah, what you said.
Tom West

#8175 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:18

Boarders ...
I am going to post a few more Shin Yoshikawa pieces this evening, leaving two more batches of 6 to go.
Will start with his Alfa Romeo TZ1 coupe.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8176 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:21

And, number two for your dining and dancing pleasure this evening will be the Shin Yoshikawa rendition of that little tune called the Ferrari 550 Muranello.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8177 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:23

And number three is the Shin Yoshikawa illustration of the Fiat Abarth 1000 TCR. Someone asked about how they made the Porsche any quicker ... bet you won't have the same point to make here.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8178 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:24

Fourth we have an unusual subject for Shin Yoshikawa, a Formula one car ... the Lotus 33.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8179 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:27

The fifth Shin Yoshikawa piece for the evening is the Porsche 904 GTS.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#8180 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:30

And we close our look at the Shin Yoshikawa collection for the evening with the Porsche 911 Carrera (996). Hope you are enjoying this trip back to the day of the line drawing cutaways. Since I never felt like I had the talent to move out of it, this is more the stuff I can relate to actually doing.
Thanks for playing along, your mileage may vary.

Tom West

Posted Image

#8181 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:19

And we close our look at the Shin Yoshikawa collection for the evening with the Porsche 911 Carrera (996). Hope you are enjoying this trip back to the day of the line drawing cutaways. Since I never felt like I had the talent to move out of it, this is more the stuff I can relate to actually doing.
Thanks for playing along, your mileage may vary.

Tom West

Posted Image

Thanks for posting these in a larger format - it is greatly appreciated as it is easier to see the detail of the line drawings.
Peter

#8182 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:50

Thanks for posting these in a larger format - it is greatly appreciated as it is easier to see the detail of the line drawings.
Peter

I wish that someone had said something. I just noticed that my ImageShack had set itself to scale to a smaller size, so I reset it to do not scale. All of those things that I had been putting up were supposed to be larger than they must have been coming through ... never looked at a download of them.
Not sure about going back and reloading all of that stuff ... would drive Ibsen nuts redoing the entire index ...
Tom West

#8183 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:13

Not sure about going back and reloading all of that stuff ... would drive Ibsen nuts redoing the entire index ...

Don't worry about it Tom, it's not a big deal - the illustrations are still a good size, just not as massive as earlier! I'm more than impressed with your work-rate, you are one of the core that supplies all these cutaways, you only have to check your total posts on this thread to see how busy you've been in such a short time.

#8184 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:16

Posted Image

Tony, are the springs (more specifically, the lower one) as they should be? My eyes seem to be playing tricks on me when I look at them.

#8185 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:48

Tony, are the springs (more specifically, the lower one) as they should be? My eyes seem to be playing tricks on me when I look at them.

No, you are absolutely right! The far (LH) spring is OK, the near one is OK at the rear coil, but then they got away from me, only by the thickness of an ink lline or a little more, but they are wrong. The point of a working drawing is not to be super-accurate, but get things in the right place, and to have an idea of how the finished job will look.

I now have to check the finished artwork and see if I got that right! Coil springs are one of those items that, if you don't get them right, everyone notices. I've seen so many engine cutaways with rows of valve springs looking like finned drums, no helix at all.

Posted Image

Well, a bit better, but not perfect! I have to hold my hand up, but it's too late now, the original has gone, and I'm not fiddling with the working drawing, that seems a bit unethical - it will have to stay, warts and all.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 08 March 2011 - 10:05.

#8186 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:06

250GT SWB probably by Betti.

Posted Image

Beautiful - thanks. I always think this is one of the finest, most puposeful looking cars ever. Malcolm

#8187 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:12

Posted Image

Well, a bit better, but not perfect! I have to hold my hand up, but it's too late now, the original has gone, and I'm not fiddling with the working drawing, that seems a bit unethical - it will have to stay, warts and all.

Perfect by the standards of us lesser mortals! Malcolm

#8188 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:17

indeed it is - at least Tony will see that we all study his work attentively, and look forward to whatever he will make available for us to view.

Oh, and I agree completely on the beauty of the F250

Edited by NPP, 08 March 2011 - 10:18.

#8189 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 16:25

I wish that someone had said something. I just noticed that my ImageShack had set itself to scale to a smaller size, so I reset it to do not scale.
Tom West

Tom, I vote for reloading in the larger format as I found myself frustrated with fuzzy detail. (Easy for me to say as I'm not the bloke having to do it!) Actually I don't think it's that far back that it changed. Perhaps you can update them on ImageShack in the same file location. I have seen a couple folks edit an image and seem to retain the original location, but not sure how they accomplished same. They may have edited their original post with the new location link. Doing so would not affect Ibsen's wonderful index. I do enjoy the larger format and scaling has not been a problem for me. As an aside I'm planning on installing a large screen in the new shop so I can show slide shows of this wonderful art and automotive movies as well. All are welcome to stop by for a glass of wine...

#8190 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 16:57

Tom,
The change is file sizing appears to have first ocurred at your post #7806 on page 196. Easy for me to say that isn't all that many as it isn't me doing the work!
Joe

#8191 Karabas

Karabas

• 111 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 17:01

Few cutaways from back issues of Autocar & Motor

Max Millar the car is unknown :confused:
Posted Image

Vic Berris Jaguar E-type
Posted Image

Terry Collins Aston Martin DBR1
Posted Image

Laurence Cresswell Lotus Elite
Posted Image

Brian Hatton Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud
Posted Image

Lofthouse(?) Lotus Elan
Posted Image

And I also vote for Shin Yoshikawa collection reloading... If possible, of course.

#8192 byrkus

byrkus

• 826 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:14

Max Millar the car is unknown :confused:
Posted Image

Benz Victoria?

#8193 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:24

Laurence Cresswell Lotus Elite

Lofthouse(?) Lotus Elan

Karabas,
Thanks for posting this trove of treasure.
Is Laurence Cresswell different than Leslie Cresswell? Does appear to be the same style.
I believe the Lotus Elan would be by Tony Lofthouse.
Joe

#8194 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:39

Don't worry about it Tom, it's not a big deal - the illustrations are still a good size, just not as massive as earlier! I'm more than impressed with your work-rate, you are one of the core that supplies all these cutaways, you only have to check your total posts on this thread to see how busy you've been in such a short time.

Tony,
Thanks for that comment, but I am willing to repost the larger files without having them reduced to 800x?.
Actually, these are pretty quick to do, as they are nicely printed, so I can scan them quickly and they take almost no correction.
As to Ibsen and the Index, I will bow to his decision on the larger file since he is the one who has to keep track of this stuff.
Told someone here that none of us are involved here without a touch of OCD going on ...
Tom West

#8195 Karabas

Karabas

• 111 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:46

Is Laurence Cresswell different than Leslie Cresswell? Does appear to be the same style.
I believe the Lotus Elan would be by Tony Lofthouse.
Joe

Excuse me, here I am almost a complete profane. My range of interests centered mainly in aviation.
But I'm always happy to share here my humble findings in a related field. :)

#8196 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:46

Completely agree. I always approximate coils with a combination of four segments for top and bottom of the coil (generally) using different ellipse guides to make it work. Never exactly correct, but the stuff is never reproduced large enough where any problem tends to show. The effect is there, and nobody takes dimensions from this stuff anyway. If you want to do that, you can go to my modelkit or diecast part drawings ... those are pretty close most of the time.
Always have to allow a little wiggle room there ...
Tom West

#8197 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:56

Tom,
The change is file sizing appears to have first ocurred at your post #7806 on page 196. Easy for me to say that isn't all that many as it isn't me doing the work!
Joe

Well, Joe. Sounds like you have been keeping track ...
Will go back and redo them, but should probably dump the Imageshack "small" files then. Of course, that leaves a bunch of holes in the earlier posts, so maybe I will just re-post them.

Thanks, guys, no problem. My bad.
Tom West

#8198 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 20:12

OK, I am going to sort of take this sucker over for a bit and repost all of those silly "reduced to fit" images that I had inadvertently sent everyone. Sorry for the inconvenience, but at least I know what to look for now. If you guys see me putting out those small files again, just let me know and I will correct the situation more quickly.
Will start with a couple of my own, which will be larger than what I had been saving here previously. You should see a bit more in these thllan on the earlier pieces, so let me know if this works better.
The details will be included in the illustration.
Tom West

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8199 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 20:30

Next group of the larger files, the Terry Davey material coming for a little while here ...
First is the Honda Civic 1500 from 1976.

Posted Image

Next up is the Datsun 240ZX out of 1972.

Posted Image

And the Datsun 280ZX from 1980.

Posted Image

Another Datsun, the 1980 Datsun 810.

Posted Image

Hope this is working.
Tom
West

Advertisement

#8200 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 20:39

Another group of four from the Terry Davey covers from Haynes Manuals.
Tom West

Starting with the 1980 Datsun Violet.
Posted Image

The 1980 Dodge Colt, one of the Mitsubishi/Chrysler cars.
Posted Image

This one is the 1981 Ford Fairmont.
Posted Image

And finally the 1981 Ford Mustang.
Posted Image