Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13352 replies to this topic

#8601 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 00:49

Another Mike Badrocke illustration of a hot rod instead of a truck ... a fighter instead of a 4-motor. This is the BAC Lightning F.6, first flown in 1965. This is from Air International, March, 2009 issue.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#8602 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 00:54

One of the most impressive cutaways I believe I have seen is this James Clark illustration of the monster Bristol Type 167, better known as the Brabazon. Just the name sounds huge and the plane lived up to that title at the time. Unfortunately, it did not function as hoped so it never became a service aircraft. This piece was first published in 1949, and later in the September, 2009 issue of Aeroplane.
As a little piece of interest, you may want to search for the little scale perspective man, which Clark built into his drawings. Like playing Where's Waldo, he is in there, but you may have to look a bit. Interesting to show the perspective where he stands ...
Tom West

Posted Image

#8603 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 2,009 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:53

Quote TWest 'you may want to search for the little scale perspective man'

I'm blowed if I can see the man =] =]

Pat

#8604 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 13:58

Hello, stranger! How long did you search for, Pat? I hate to be beaten, so I spent a VERY LONG TIME looking, at +200%, then 400%, and I'm buggered if I can see him. April 1st was Friday, wasn't it? I searched the main wing spar, inside the engine bays, tried to tease him into moving by pretending I wasn't interested, then suddenly looking again, but to no avail. I'm going to be really upset if he is there, more so than if this is a Tom West wind-up!

#8605 Flightlinearts

Flightlinearts

• 37 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 15:08

Hello, stranger! How long did you search for, Pat? I hate to be beaten, so I spent a VERY LONG TIME looking, at +200%, then 400%, and I'm buggered if I can see him. April 1st was Friday, wasn't it? I searched the main wing spar, inside the engine bays, tried to tease him into moving by pretending I wasn't interested, then suddenly looking again, but to no avail. I'm going to be really upset if he is there, more so than if this is a Tom West wind-up!

Hi Folks, You are right Tony it is a bugger to find. I never knew that he put figures in his drawings. It is annotated as no 53 and the man is behind the port outer engine!
On a more serious note Joe Picarella who I work with had a heart attack a few days ago. He has had a double by-pass operation and should be ok. He is aged 42. I've known Joe for over 20 years so it was a bit of a shock. Now back to things in drawings Joe always puts a pigs face in his drawings. Guess which aircraft!!

Sorry about this but I tried uploading the image, but it only came out as a red X on the image when uploaded.
I will try some other time.

Tim

Edited by Flightlinearts, 03 April 2011 - 15:26.

#8606 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 15:11

Right on , Tony! I also searced for the illusive guy but couldn't find him. At one point, I worried that it was some sort of scam, and as I was deeply involved in my quest to find him, all my bank accounts were being drained plus my Illustrator and Photoshop files were being infected.

#8607 calamot

calamot

• 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 15:42

Pegaso Z-102 transparent

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by calamot, 22 December 2011 - 17:23.

#8608 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 16:10

I never knew that he put figures in his drawings. It is annotated as no 53 and the man is behind the port outer engine!

Good eye! Almost a ghost-like figure.

Best wishes for your friend's recovery.

#8609 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 18:34

Ferguson P99 by Theo Page

Posted Image

#8610 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 19:02

Hi Folks, You are right Tony it is a bugger to find. I never knew that he put figures in his drawings. It is annotated as no 53 and the man is behind the port outer engine!

Thanks Tim! Well, at least I was looking in the right areas, and stupidly it didn't occur to me to check the annotation key! It reminds me of when I did my first cutaway for Motoring News and put a small signature under it. When Mr WJ Tee saw it he told me to remove it, as none of the journalists were allowed to use their names, and when I protested mildly, he suggested that I work my initials into the tyre tread! When I pointed out that Bill Bennett had put 'Bennett' under his work he relented, and said I could use 'Matthews', "But keep it small, boy!"

Hope your colleague makes a full and rapid rrecovery - dunno if he looks in on this thread, but best wishes from Cutawayland!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 03 April 2011 - 19:04.

#8611 calamot

calamot

• 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 19:04

Francisco Pulido workshop, Bentley 4 1/2 litre escale 1:10
Francisco Pulido

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by calamot, 22 December 2011 - 17:24.

#8612 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 20:49

...On a more serious note Joe Picarella who I work with had a heart attack a few days ago. He has had a double by-pass operation and should be ok. He is aged 42. I've known Joe for over 20 years so it was a bit of a shock. ...

Tim

Please pass on my best wishes to your friend. His name's familiar to me because he did the F-22 Cutaway for Flight that impressed the hell out of me when I saw it. Very talented bloke. I hope he recovers well and is back to normal soon.

IM

#8613 terrance trump

terrance trump

• 30 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 21:34

Please pass on my best wishes to your friend. His name's familiar to me because he did the F-22 Cutaway for Flight that impressed the hell out of me when I saw it. Very talented bloke. I hope he recovers well and is back to normal soon.

IM

Hi Tim,

Please pass on our best wishes to Joe and wish him a speedy recovery.

#8614 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 21:37

Good eye! Almost a ghost-like figure.

Best wishes for your friend's recovery.

Yes, you have it. I went through that thing for a while myself before finding it, and that was at the full resolution of the scan, so that thing was pretty large on-screen. Sorry for making it such an obsession, but I really would not try to prank you guys ... although it is a thought now that I know how well it would have worked ...
I am very sorry to hear about Joe Picarella. I had seen his name on quite a few of those Flight illustrations, but I believe that he was the one going through and putting together all the scans on the old art for them, so a lot of that material available there has had his hand on it.
Wish him well ... hell, wish anyone that young who is involved in this stuff well. Not like there are that many doing it anyway, so we can't lose those who do.
Tom West

#8615 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 21:48

On a more serious note Joe Picarella who I work with had a heart attack a few days ago. He has had a double by-pass operation and should be ok. He is aged 42.
Tim

I would never have believed Giuseppe "Joe" Picarella, is that young, wishing him all the best !!

edit: I believe he has been Flight 'Senior Technical Artist' for quite some time.

Edited by macoran, 03 April 2011 - 21:52.

#8616 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:15

BAC-111 Cutaway from Sept 1963 issue of RAF Flying Review International magazine:-

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by IrishMariner, 04 April 2011 - 03:16.

#8617 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 20:01

This MG EX181 has been posted before, page 173
This one is of less resolution, but it has the text with it from the magazine.
Posted Image
as the drawing says, by Theo Page

Edited by macoran, 04 April 2011 - 20:04.

#8618 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 00:48

I am going to throw out three more aviation illustrations for your dining and dancing pleasure this evening, all rather different, well, one rather different.
That is the first subject, the Boeing E4B Flying Command Center, the Presidential aircraft. This is the updated version of the Presidential Escape Pod out of 1978. The Mike Badrocke piece was recently published in Air International, December of 2008.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8619 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 00:53

Rather a contrast to the E-4B, this is the Hawker Sea Fury Mk. X. Drawn by Theo Page, it is rather broken up if you look at the linework, which I took a little time to clean up as there were strange ink dots and Rapidograph flaws throughout. Did not do too much, but it was reassembled as the one-page piece had a gap and a noticeable mismatch in it that I at least hid a little bit. This was taken from the May, 2008 issue of The Aeroplane.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#8620 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 00:57

Last of my trio for the evening is the Supermarine Spitfire PR Mk. XI by Mike Badrocke. This came from Air International, April, 2008.
Hope that I am not switching over to the aviation stuff too much, as I know this group is supposed to be more about the automotive subjects.
Hope everyone is enjoying these lineart pieces, as these actually inspired me after I had sort of gone silent with the drawings in 1973. Went for about 14 years only doing one piece, but was picking up the aviation magazines to be able to look at these illustrations during that time, and I think it really helped just to "see" what was being done, because I was actually better after that long break than I had been previously.
At least, I thought so.

Tom West

Posted Image

#8621 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:06

TANK VERSUS TANK: The Illustrated Story of Armoured Battlefield Conflict in the Twentieth Century
Paperback: 196 pages
Publisher: Grub Street Publishing (August 2002)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1902304306
ISBN-13: 978-1902304304

Here's a sample, showing a Panther D and typical of the style of the other cutaways in this book.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8622 JoeKane

JoeKane

• 76 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 18:16

TANK VERSUS TANK: The Illustrated Story of Armoured Battlefield Conflict in the Twentieth Century
Paperback: 196 pages
Publisher: Grub Street Publishing (August 2002)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1902304306
ISBN-13: 978-1902304304

Here's a sample, showing a Panther D and typical of the style of the other cutaways in this book.
[

Hi IM
Thanks for posting the sample images.
This may be a re-publication of an earlier work. Seems to me I saw it prior to the listed publishing date. Possibly from a different publisher?
Is the illustrator(s) credited? Possibly John Batchelor?
Thanks for all the work you post.

#8623 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 19:10

Hi IM
Thanks for posting the sample images.
This may be a re-publication of an earlier work. Seems to me I saw it prior to the listed publishing date. Possibly from a different publisher?
Is the illustrator(s) credited? Possibly John Batchelor?
Thanks for all the work you post.

Hi,
The book's at home so I will look for an artist's credit later on. I will also check to see if it's a revised edition.
IM

P.S You're welcome :) Ever since I discovered I could skip the scanner altogether and instead take a picture of the page with my phone and email it to myself, posting sample pages from books is literally the work of a moment.

#8624 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 21:17

Tony Matthews posted his DFX partially way back on page 47.
I managed to find some other bits and pieces to come up with the complete thing.
Not very hi-res but it will have to do for now.
Posted Image

#8625 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 21:22

Found this while mucking around on the internet
It was titled as a Rolls Royce Gem42, and I couldn't trace it back to anything already posted.
Someone with more know how may know which RR engine it is.
Artist unknown to me, hints of Vic Berris here and there, methinks.
So here goes
Posted Image

#8626 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 22:02

Artist unknown to me, hints of Vic Berris here and there, methinks.
Posted Image

That's a nice piece of work, unlike the Cosworth DFX, but I think it is a Rolls-Royce in-house job - so we may never know who did it!

#8627 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:30

Sud-Aviation SO-9050 Trident II from March 1957 issue of RAF Flying Review.
Artist appears to be a 'J.Pirard'

An uncommon viewpoint, but interesting nonetheless.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8628 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 14:22

If anybody fancies an original tank cutaway I just found a T-92 by Peter Sarson here...

Posted Image

http://www.illustrat..._SarsonT92.html

- Just noticed if you search for 'cutaway' there are 21 results - mostly armoured vehicles...
search for cutaway

Edited by smarjoram, 06 April 2011 - 14:25.

#8629 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 19:14

I am going to throw a singleton at you here ... no not a craft from Armstrong-Whitworth.
This is the little two-seater patrol and attack aircraft, the Embraer EMB-314 Super Tocano. First published in 1999, this was a Mike Badrocke illustration out of Air International, February, 2009. Almost wish they were publishing this as a single page, but at least they do it on a centerspread.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8630 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:29

Alfa Romeo P3 by unknown artist (G.Gedo?)

Posted Image

#8631 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 19:39

Douglas Navy A3D-2T Skywarrior (Bombardier Trainer)
This is an original, bought recently on eBay. Exactly 51 years old! (published in April 1960, as indicated in the lower left corner).
Artist - David G. Beigle
Posted Image

#8632 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 21:32

Douglas Navy A3D-2T Skywarrior (Bombardier Trainer)
This is an original, bought recently on eBay. Exactly 51 years old! (published in April 1960, as indicated in the lower left corner).
Artist - David G. Beigle
Posted Image

When you say "an original", Karabas, do you mean original print or original artwork? It looks like a print to me, as the background is too clean, it has a printed title, plus the legend on the left that you pointed out.

#8633 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 22:49

Just thought that I would let you guys know that I now have a bank of illustrations sitting here to clean up for you guys, not including a bunch of the magazine stuff that I have not done in a while. I have 22 aircraft illustrations to assemble, and 58 of the Haynes covers to clean up. Should give me something to do in my spare time, I guess.
Thanks for everyone's contributions here.
Tom West

#8634 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 22:54

I have 22 aircraft illustrations to assemble, and 58 of the Haynes covers to clean up. Thanks for everyone's contributions here.

Come on Tom, get a move-on! I don't know how you do it all, on top of your busy photographic and social life - Tom West, half man, half machine and all heart! :up:

#8635 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 23:15

Come on Tom, get a move-on! I don't know how you do it all, on top of your busy photographic and social life - Tom West, half man, half machine and all heart! :up:

Well, thanks for the image hype there, but I am doing it by eliminating a few other things that really should be getting done ... nothing is free, I find. Still behind on the photo rework, too, so I am late with everything recently, and can't seem to prioritize very well. Since I started to collect early Social Security, i have left myself sort of drift toward things that are more enjoyable, and this material, evidently is fairly pleasing to me ...
Seem to be having a few of the photo shoots coming up starting next week, so that will add a little interest to things as well.
If you have any other explanation, let me know.
Tom West

#8636 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 23:24

:drunk:

If you have any other explanation, let me know.
Tom West

Stand up and say it !!
You are a full member of the CDA ( Cutaway Drawings Anonymous)
You are an addict !! and user !!
Your name is Tom West
Stand up...........Say it !!

Oeps forgot some smileys :) :drunk: :) :drunk:

Edited by macoran, 07 April 2011 - 23:27.

#8637 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:23

:drunk:
Stand up and say it !!
You are a full member of the CDA ( Cutaway Drawings Anonymous)
You are an addict !! and user !!
Your name is Tom West
Stand up...........Say it !!

Oeps forgot some smileys :) :drunk: :) :drunk:

Whaddya smilin' at, Marc???
Interesting how this is a bit challenging and detailed, but seems to fill the bill instead of creating new stuff ... maybe a few minutes for a project rather than full hours for new material is sort of refreshing ... can't tell you.
Yes, CDA is very appropriate, I think. Pardon me if I stick with the air and auto stuff, not the military or industrial units ... trying to stick with a theme here, not just general artwork.
Thank-you all for your support in this time of need.
Tom West

#8638 Karabas

Karabas

• 110 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:24

When you say "an original", Karabas, do you mean original print or original artwork? It looks like a print to me, as the background is too clean, it has a printed title, plus the legend on the left that you pointed out.

Original print

#8639 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 16:41

Ferrari Dino 246 GT by unknown artist (can't read the signature)

Posted Image

Advertisement

#8640 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 19:39

Drawings of Lotus 79 MK IV, Web Taringa.net.../ Efecto suelo.... Author COCHO 57, the wing in ground study.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Success

#8641 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 20:00

The next sunday, start the GP of Malaisia in Sepang, The team present your aerodynamics advance.

Red Bull scape diffuser, author Craid Scarborough

Posted Image

Renault R33 scape desing

Posted Image

The F1 Diffuser rules 2010/2011 comparison....

Double diffuser, rule 2010

Posted Image

Rule 2011

Posted Image

Renault solution

Posted Image

McLaren solution

Posted Image

Rule 2011 free zones in grey

Posted Image

success

Edited by Motocar, 08 April 2011 - 22:48.

#8642 Motocar

Motocar

• 264 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 16:11

The Gm Tree wheelers car concept, author unknow

Posted Image

#8643 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 16:37

Renault Turbine "Etoile Filante" or "Shooting Star" chassis by LeMoäl

Posted Image

#8644 rwstevens59

rwstevens59

• 55 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 16:59

Ralph,
I was just going to suggest that you pick up a full set of those Ellipse guides. They will get you pretty close with the 5° increments for any of the detail work, and you can make adjustments on much larger things (wheels and tires) with the Curves if you need to. Glad you feel better knowing what this is, but things will go incredibly much faster just sighting it, coming up with a front and rear wheel ellipse angle, and adjusting for intermediate areas between the wheelcenters, and for the distance back through the car (or whatever). As has been said, if it looks right, nobody is going to criticize, or even realize that it isn't the perfect ellipse.
You worry too much ...
Tom West

Tom,

Most days I don't care to see the postman, just more bills to pay. This morning however was a good day as I accepted delivery of a brand new set of Alvin TemplateDesin ellipse guides 10deg. to 80 deg. from 2 1/8 inch to 4 inch I found online. More toys, I am a happy boy! This is a very bad sickness. That completes my sets from about 1/16 inch on up to 4 inch.

Tony,

I have located and purchased the 'ellipse wheel' and isometric protractor I spoke with you about. The ellipse wheel will be coming all the way from Australia. My coveting of old technology knows no bounds.

I have been working away at my drawings and have been showing some progress. Time, time, I need more hours in a day.

Ralph

Edited by rwstevens59, 09 April 2011 - 17:00.

#8645 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 19:42

Air-Fouga Magister from the August 1957 issue of RAF's 'Flying Review' magazine. Poor quality scan, but, hey....

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8646 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 22:19

Tom,

Most days I don't care to see the postman, just more bills to pay. This morning however was a good day as I accepted delivery of a brand new set of Alvin TemplateDesin ellipse guides 10deg. to 80 deg. from 2 1/8 inch to 4 inch I found online. More toys, I am a happy boy! This is a very bad sickness. That completes my sets from about 1/16 inch on up to 4 inch.

Tony,

I have located and purchased the 'ellipse wheel' and isometric protractor I spoke with you about. The ellipse wheel will be coming all the way from Australia. My coveting of old technology knows no bounds.

I have been working away at my drawings and have been showing some progress. Time, time, I need more hours in a day.

Ralph

Ralph,
I am enjoying your enthusiasm, and can remember the same upon getting a few of those pieces over the years. I ended up with two sets of Ellipse guides in the two smaller series, but only one of the large ones (4-12 inch). I still try to find curves and that sort of thing ... cause you never know if that drawer full of them will be quite right in a certain situation. It is funny how you get a feel for these things and just reach for the one with the right "S" to it; not sure how that happens.
Merry Christmas, our friend.
Tom West

#8647 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 00:54

have just found some aviation cutaways that afaik we haven't had here on
http://momentdinspir...n.blogspot.com/
under today's date, and the linked
http://momentdinspir...aeroplanes.html
lots needing splicing and or clean-up though
cheers steven

Edited by fnqvmuch, 10 April 2011 - 00:59.

#8648 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:29

have just found some aviation cutaways that afaik we haven't had here.....cheers steven

Thank you! :-)

#8649 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:27

http://momentdinspir...n.blogspot.com/

The P51C has been posted before, it generated a discussion as to the merits/demerits of showing the prop stationary but the wheels up! I notice the the P47 is the same...

No time to check the other site, but I will later - and thanks, Steven!

#8650 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:45

The P51C has been posted before, it generated a discussion as to the merits/demerits of showing the prop stationary but the wheels up! I notice the the P47 is the same...

It wouldn't fly very well with all those holes in it anyway :)