Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13396 replies to this topic

#8651 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 119 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:33

The P51C has been posted before, it generated a discussion as to the merits/demerits of showing the prop stationary but the wheels up! I notice the the P47 is the same...

re. that 'razorback'; i have now filed it adjacent to a much more cutaway line piece with which it could register perfectly (except for having gear down and a prop three sizes bigger with a different ellipse angle ) signed WEAL, maybe.
Only other P-47s i have are all opposite angle and the later shape - one att to Peter Castles also line & pretty much skinless, which might neatly overlay a nice colour-washed one by Reynold Brown ( for Industrial Aviation, January 1945 ) whose is i think the signature on that P51C - certainly on the P-82 and the P-38 and the B-17 looks like his work too ...

steven
edited to correct self; B-17 is elsewhere att to R.G. Smith and J.W. Tillotson, for Industrial Aviation, December 1944 - so the house style?
add. edit - lots of WEALs and a couple of Badrockes amongst them.

Edited by fnqvmuch, 11 April 2011 - 13:57.

Advertisement

#8652 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:51

It wouldn't fly very well with all those holes in it anyway :)

About as well as most of the cars would drive!

#8653 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 16:05

About as well as most of the cars would drive!

Posted Image

Like this one.

#8654 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 16:56

Wow! tbolt, what an image! However, as you see, the wheels have not been cut away!

#8655 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 18:58

Think the whole concept of these being real vehicles is rather interesting, but would think that other than a bit of draft, generally cars would function, while the aircraft wouldn't. Otherwise we would not be making such a fuss over those 737s losing part of the cabin exteriors in flight.
I am going to throw another couple of my recent scans out here for you, two AC and three auto, with the aviation pieces being much more interesting.
The first it the historic F-15E Strike Eagle by Mike Badrocke, first published in 1987. It is shown as the Boeing-McDonald Douglas F-15E with the combination of the companies. This came from an Air International Special on the F-15 out of 2007, fyi.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8656 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 19:01

This is a rather interesting aircraft, as you can see the roots of one of the best known fighters in history in this particular plane. The McDonnell 3H Demon, as drawn by Mike Badrocke, certainly shows the evolutionary basis for the F4 Phantom to come. This is out of Aeroplane, March, 2008.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8657 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 19:05

I have a couple of Haynes covers for your consideration, this first being the Chevrolet Corsica from 1990. Not a particularly innovative car, but just decent basic stuff, the details are shown, without being too scary for the buyer of the manual, by Phillip Cox. Haynes had started to move to other illustrators, with Cox being one of the main ones until they settled on David Kimble for the artwork.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8658 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 19:08

Another Haynes cover from Phillip Cox, this is the Chevrolet Nova from 1990. These were still showing a bit more detail than they were to do at various points. Not exactly a must-have-in-the-collection type of piece.
Tom West

Posted Image

#8659 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 19:16

This is the Haynes cover by Terry Davey on the AMC Hornet, another rather undistinguished little car, showing as 1995 on the manual. You will note that these pieces tended to show a little bit of a rear axle-suspension, a bit of the front suspension, and the open-hood view; this pretty much became the formula for these covers by that time. Unfortunate, but I wasn't exactly buying all of those manuals so it was not enough of an enticement to pick them up for the artwork anyway.
There are about 50 of these things, mainly the sporty production cars and a bunch of the American car illustrations. I still have probably 150-200 of them beyond that start ... but there must be another book of them somewhere ...
Hope you are enjoying these, as they are not exactly the standard stuff that we would come across.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#8660 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 19:22

This is a rather interesting aircraft, as you can see the roots of one of the best known fighters in history in this particular plane. The McDonnell 3H Demon, as drawn by Mike Badrocke, certainly shows the evolutionary basis for the F4 Phantom to come. This is out of Aeroplane, March, 2008.
Tom West

Posted Image

Another fine set of cutaways, Tom, thanks. I had completely forgotten the F3, you are right about the clues to the F4, one of the most memorable shapes in the sky for a long time, a terrific looking aircraft.

Edited to say that I have never been exactly happy with mechanical tints, although we had to use them at college - or at least, I used it on a cutaway of a central-heating boiler in my fourth year, perhaps by choice! I assume it went the way of Letraset type, no longer a part of the graphics world...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 10 April 2011 - 19:25.

#8661 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:10

lotus mk 9 page 65 is by Vic Berris

#8662 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:23

Ferrari F310 by Sergio Baratto
Posted Image

#8663 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 21:03

Click on the small cutaway on the right and view the June 2011 cutaway spread of the Haynes 2011 Diary

http://www.haynes.co...catalogId=10001

#8664 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 21:05

Haynes had started to move to other illustrators, Tom West

Terry Davey hadn't retired......or ?

I mean you are showing 2 1990 Phillip Cox renderings, while the Davey Hornet is a 1995.
Was there something going on ?

Edited by macoran, 10 April 2011 - 21:08.

#8665 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 22:04

Another fine set of cutaways, Tom, thanks. I had completely forgotten the F3, you are right about the clues to the F4, one of the most memorable shapes in the sky for a long time, a terrific looking aircraft.

Edited to say that I have never been exactly happy with mechanical tints, although we had to use them at college - or at least, I used it on a cutaway of a central-heating boiler in my fourth year, perhaps by choice! I assume it went the way of Letraset type, no longer a part of the graphics world...

Tony,
I am thinking that most folks are not going to come up with illustrations of such things as the AMC Hornet. Not exactly the type of thing that anyone buys because of mechanical wonder or innovative thought. These are cars that you got because they would go for a while and get you there; definitely the true mass market car, as are a lot of these. From the standpoint of the cutaway, it is great that someone had the foresight to do these illustrations so we had them archived for later ... am sure that was their motivation.
Will be scanning more of them when I get the chance, but I think the more interesting and more sporty cars are now done, so we have a lot of this type of thing to go.
Sort of fun to see these cleaned up a bit.
Tom West

#8666 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 22:06

Citroen GS (Grand Serie)
Actually a car I should hate...
served my apprenticeship on these.... adjusting the valve backlash on these OHV flat fours played hell on my back.
But the the test drives on the back roads in Capelle were great, damn that Hydropneumatic suspension clawed the thing on the road !!
Posted Image

Don't know who the artist is, but the last time I posted a Citroen, (an SM) Ibsen came up with Giulio Bettis's signature

#8667 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 22:21

Terry Davey hadn't retired......or ?

I mean you are showing 2 1990 Phillip Cox renderings, while the Davey Hornet is a 1995.
Was there something going on ?

That 1995 date might have been taken from the publication date. Can't really say. I know that they interspersed the Davey work with the others for a while, and they reused the artwork for the manuals as the cars were produced for a few years. Can't really say, but it looked like they were trying to come up with some backup for Mr. Davey. Same reason that I ended up doing those pieces while Kimble was supposed to be doing them all, they wanted to make sure they knew they could still do them if something happened to him.
Would have to be able to go back through their Sales listings to see when those manuals would have been redone but I would think there was overlap of the artists.
Tom West

#8668 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 22:24

Citroen GS (Grand Serie)
Actually a car I should hate...
served my apprenticeship on these.... adjusting the valve backlash on these OHV flat fours played hell on my back.
But the the test drives on the back roads in Capelle were great, damn that Hydropneumatic suspension clawed the thing on the road !!
Posted Image

Don't know who the artist is, but the last time I posted a Citroen, (an SM) Ibsen came up with Giulio Bettis's signature

It does look very Bettiesque. Seems like almost all of these unsigned pieces could be attributed to those guys very legitimately. Wish we could figure out the complete listing of their work, as it has to be impressive. It is, even without all the unattributed pieces that we have seen.
Tom West

#8669 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 23:49

Alfa Romeo P3 by unknown artist (G.Gedo?)

Posted Image

The way he has cut through the tyres...Yes I think so

#8670 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,278 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:58

This is a BrunoBetti ? one of my FAV touring car and Oooooo what a lovely sound.
From On Four Wheels.
Posted Image

And the motor to go with it.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by eldougo, 11 April 2011 - 06:49.

#8671 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,278 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:28

Another Bruno drawing ...On FourWheels

Posted Image

#8672 madmad64

madmad64

• 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:39

visit http://lemansprototypes.over-blog.it/

http://img.over-blog...e_duct3-low.jpg

#8673 madmad64

madmad64

• 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:41

Posted Image

#8674 Motocar

Motocar

• 268 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 14:36

Homo Avis, Aircraft back for soldier, Popular Mechanics august 1983, author unknow

Posted Image

Success

#8675 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 17:57

Reminds me of the Oomegoolies bird...

#8676 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,078 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:29

I found one we have not had here: Audi 200 Quattro TransAm by Technical Art / N.Schäfer

Posted ImagePosted Image

I found that on the web but I do have the rallyeracing issue it is in. If somebody wants a high resolution scan of it, give me a shout.
I have to go through those old magazines to see if they had more cutaways at the time.

#8677 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 17:17

give me a shout.

I have screamed you a PM ! :D

#8678 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 17:27

I found one we have not had here: Audi 200 Quattro TransAm by Technical Art / N.Schäfer

I found that on the web but I do have the rallyeracing issue it is in. If somebody wants a high resolution scan of it, give me a shout.
I have to go through those old magazines to see if they had more cutaways at the time.

Duc,
Please consider this to be my SHOUT for a high-res image of this Audi. I checked, and there are a couple of other TechArt Audis in the file, but not this one.
Check in with me on the Message System if you are not putting it to the group Hope everything is actually there, as a lot of these two-piece things seem to wind up losing a lot of the gutter area in the middle. Just being picky, sorry.
Thanks for the offer.
Tom West

#8679 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 20:18

Lovely drawing. Thank you.

1988 wasn't it?

Advertisement

#8680 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 20:29

as a lot of these two-piece things seem to wind up losing a lot of the gutter area in the middle.
Tom West

There's a reason for that, it's so that I have something to do.

#8681 marlondylan

marlondylan

• 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 21:46

Photoshop does this trick on the Audi:

Posted Image

Edited by marlondylan, 12 April 2011 - 21:52.

#8682 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 22:55

Photoshop does this trick on the Audi:

Posted Image

Ah, your Photoshop beat my Paint !!
But any of these programs do downsize the files a lot !

#8683 Anthem

Anthem

• 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 23:27

Posted Image

On 12 April 1961, aboard the Vostok 3KA-3 (Vostok 1), Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin became both the first human to travel into space, and the first to orbit the earth.

#8684 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:28

Here is a replacement for the Jaguar E Type Low Drag Coupe by Jean-Jacques François posted earlier on page 30

Posted Image

Edited by ibsenop, 14 April 2011 - 01:30.

#8685 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:34

New light transport (due for delivery 2013-14) by Indonesian Aerospace...
Not automotive, but interesting use of color - illustrator not identified
Posted Image
following link is ridiculously large version
http://img861.images...ighttransp.jpg/
Peter

#8686 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:33

Here is a replacement for the Jaguar E Type Low Drag Coupe by Jean-Jacques François posted earlier on page 30

Posted Image

Ibsen,
I have really enjoyed those Francois illustrations, so it is always good to have an improved version of some of the smaller files. Is that a fresh scan? Or an update from the original? Just curious.
Thanks for doing this, either way.
Tom West

#8687 TWest

TWest

• 1,584 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:39

New light transport (due for delivery 2013-14) by Indonesian Aerospace...
Not automotive, but interesting use of color - illustrator not identified
following link is ridiculously large version
http://img861.images...ighttransp.jpg/
Peter

Brother,
Ridiculously large file is my middle name, well, it is actually Alan, but it could be. That appears to be a CAD illustration, not an actual human generated piece. Suppose that we should be used to seeing these computer drawings by now ... right, DAVE?
Sorry, 2001 reference there, in case it was too obscure ...
Tom West

#8688 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:53

Renault 16's 1.5 l ideal to power the mid engined lotus europa.Cutaway by Editechnic
Posted Image

#8689 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:00

:clap: 100 sending!!!!! champagne for everybody

#8690 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 17:14

:clap: 100 sending!!!!! champagne for everybody

Well done CVA! You too deserve a cigar! When do we get the champagne?

#8691 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 17:34

Renault 16's 1.5 l ideal to power the mid engined lotus europa.Cutaway by Editechnic
Posted Image

As Jim and I did the Europa Workshop Manual illustrations I should remember that cutaway, but I don't... Actually, it was a very depressing job, as a lot of illustrations were modified Renault ones, and they were - how shall I put it - crap. I can't even remember the ones we did from scratch. I was obviously paying more attention to my social life at the time. I went through a period of partying hard, and I am not proud of the fact that I turned up at 3 Greys Lane one morning with such a stupendous hangover that Jim took one look at me and suggested that I went home. So I did.

At that time it was customary for my group of friends and I to 'dress up'. It seems odd now, but the regular dress for an evening in the pub, followed by a party, followed by a card game, followed by breakfast at Jack's Hill on the old A1, was a suit (hand-stitched lapels) tunic shirt with detachable collar (so collar studs), cuff links, tie with tie pin, and shiney shoes. Many's the time I've walked home from a Saturday night party at 7.30 in the morning, in the opposite direction to groups of neatly dressed people, they all going to church, me off for a few hours kip before the Sunday lunchtime session in the Cock Hotel...

#8692 alansart

alansart

• 4,025 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 17:53

As Jim and I did the Europa Workshop Manual illustrations I should remember that cutaway, but I don't... Actually, it was a very depressing job, as a lot of illustrations were modified Renault ones, and they were - how shall I put it - crap. I can't even remember the ones we did from scratch.

I'm still having to do that now.

Client: "We have this drawing. We've used it for a while, but can you improve it"

Me: "It's crap. Totally wrong (It's a CAD drawing turned into an Illustrator file).

Client: Why's it crap?

Me: When you first made the product it looked like this. Now it looks totally different...and it just looks crap!

Client: Can't you just change it?

Me: Yes, BUT, they are difficult to change as every curve is series of straight lines and none of the ends are joined together. It's easier to start again.

Client: We don't have the budget to start again.

Me: You don't have the budget to change the existing artwork either.

Big Boss enters: OK what does it cost to start again. It looks much better and suits our "up market profile" :rolleyes:

Me: £******

Big Boss: Can you do it for £**

Me: :evil: Perhaps £****

Big Boss: Agreed. Can we have it by the end of the week!

Me: ):

Edited by alansart, 14 April 2011 - 18:01.

#8693 alansart

alansart

• 4,025 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 18:01

At that time it was customary for my group of friends and I to 'dress up'. It seems odd now, but the regular dress for an evening in the pub, followed by a party, followed by a card game, followed by breakfast at Jack's Hill on the old A1, was a suit (hand-stitched lapels) tunic shirt with detachable collar (so collar studs), cuff links, tie with tie pin, and shiney shoes. Many's the time I've walked home from a Saturday night party at 7.30 in the morning, in the opposite direction to groups of neatly dressed people, they all going to church, me off for a few hours kip before the Sunday lunchtime session in the Cock Hotel...

Sod the dressing up!

Good old Jacks Hill Cafe. The days when Cholesterol was possibly a mountain in Austria! Bray Motors (as was in the 80's) ran the Garage/Scrap Yard next door.

The Cock Hotel was a haunt of a few Industrial Artist workers in the late 70's & early 80's as well.

#8694 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 18:15

Sod the dressing up!

Good old Jacks Hill Cafe. The days when Cholesterol was possibly a mountain in Austria! Bray Motors (as was in the 80's) ran the Garage/Scrap Yard next door.

The Cock Hotel was a haunt of a few Industrial Artist workers in the late 70's & early 80's as well.

Well, I don't dress up very often now, but it does surprise me how scruffy most men are on an 'evening out'. In Hitchin, anyway.

Jacks Hill! What a place that was. I saw some good fights there, and some wierd and wonderful scenes. One that sticks in my mind was of a large group of bikers taking up five or six of those four-seat table and bench jobs along the window wall, tossing a condom filled with tomato ketchup from table to table. Like 'pass the parcel' but more dangerous...

An illustrator called Fred Somebody - I will check - who used to have a studio in Hermitage Road in the '70s/'80s used the Victoria at lunchtime. I used to see him walking to or from the pub if I was in the town at that time. I didn't know he was an illustrator, but he was a distinctive-looking cove, but quite by chance met him at a wedding reception a couple of years ago, and he is the partner of my wife's close friend! Small world. Or small town...

#8695 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 20:11

....That appears to be a CAD illustration, not an actual human generated piece.....Tom West

That's a screenshot of a CATIA V5 assembly. CATIA is becoming the de-facto CAD software for large enterprises (think Boeing, Airbus, etc).
As an aside, CATIA was blamed for one of the Airbus A380's initial delays as different partner countries (Germany, France and UK) were using 3 different systems (CATIA V4, V5 and CADDS5) and some engineering intent was lost as a result.

It is a cracking picture, so thanks for posting it, Simplebrother. A very poignant posting, I think, as it illustrates perfectly how an image of the structure of a vehicle can be obtained easily these days from CAD. In the 2D days....a cutaway would be needed.

#8696 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:29

Ibsen,
I have really enjoyed those Francois illustrations, so it is always good to have an improved version of some of the smaller files. Is that a fresh scan? Or an update from the original? Just curious.
Thanks for doing this, either way.
Tom West

Tom,
This is a new scan of the old magazine. The old scanner was crap. The new (not so new today) is far better with sharp scanned images.
I put, like Macoran does, a sheet of black plastic behind the magazine page to avoid the shadow of the letters in the background.
Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 15 April 2011 - 11:27.

#8697 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:50

Here's a heads-up for anyone into cutaways of German aircraft, 1939-1945

Warplanes Of The Luftwaffe 1939-1945, Edited by David Donald
ISBN-0-7607-2283-8
Artists: John Weal, Keith Fretwell, Ichiro Hasegawa, Iain Wyllie

Cutaways are all B&W and spread across 2 pages.

Cutaways in the book are:-

Arado AR 196, AR 234B
Dornier Do-217, Do-335
Fieseler Fi-156C-Z
Focke-Wulf FW-189A-2, FW-190, FW-200
Heinkel He-111H-3, He-162A-2, He-177, He-219A-5
Junkers Ju-52, Ju-87, Ju-88, J-188
Messerschmitt Bf-109, Bf-110G, Me-163, Me-262, Me-321/323 (see below for sample image), Me-410

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8698 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,058 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:51

Jacks Hill! What a place that was.
An illustrator called Fred Somebody - I will check - who used to have a studio in Hermitage Road in the '70s/'80s

The caff at Jack's Hill I remember more as a rally half-way halt than as a place to visit for a night out.
The scrapper next door (Jack's Hill Mo'ors in those days) was useful, once I'd graduated from the pre-war cars for which Rush Green provided the after sales service. I well remember how Jerry upped his prices by presactly 10% when VAT was imposed in 1973 - of course he'd had just over two years to get used to decimal currency, so it was not too hard.

Was it Fred Gadd perhaps?

#8699 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,600 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:56

The caff at Jack's Hill I remember....

Wasn't that the caff which featured in the Michael Caine film "Alfie", where MC,s character had a bit of trouble from the driver played by Sidney Tafler in front of a mkV Park Royal AEC Mandator? Unless of course I am wrong...
Roger Lund

Advertisement

#8700 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 16:33

The caff at Jack's Hill I remember more as a rally half-way halt than as a place to visit for a night out.
The scrapper next door (Jack's Hill Mo'ors in those days) was useful, once I'd graduated from the pre-war cars for which Rush Green provided the after sales service.

I can't imagine anyone having 'a night out' at Jack's Hill, but for a good stodgy fried breakfast at half pst five or six on a Sunday morning it was brilliant. Rush Green is still going, must be one of Hertfordshire's most toxic areas...

Another tenuous link with illustrating is the fact that one of my fellow students at Lu'on Tech served on the pumps next door to the caff.