Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13436 replies to this topic

#9001 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 17:30

Thanks to everyone for their contributions ... onward to 5-figures ...
Tom West

Tally Ho! from an avid follower of the art
Roger Lund

Advertisement

#9002 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 20:22

Well, werks has bumped the number up recently. I, on the other hand, have been observing without much comment. A bit too tired, frankly, what with the current workload, to write much 'of an evening', but thoughts of technical illustrating do occur at intervals during the day!

#9003 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:22

Posted Image
Alfa Tipo 60?
2.5-litre 1954 4WD design study. Artist unknown.

car is a Tipo 160 prototype from 1952...
below are car and engine from Giovanni Cavara's 60 cars in x-ray (sorry I don't have a larger copy of the car - it appears to be the original posting flipped)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Peter

#9004 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:43

car is a Tipo 160 prototype from 1952...
below are car and engine from Giovanni Cavara's 60 cars in x-ray (sorry I don't have a larger copy of the car - it appears to be the original posting flipped)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Peter

Thanks very much, Peter. On both accounts. The identification of the original 'Wyvern' artist, Roy Cross and the correct info regarding the Tipo 160, 1952. Cavara. I have edited both accordingly. :up:

#9005 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:39

Sunbeam Talbot by S E Porter, but different to the post by Werks on page 109.

Posted Image

#9006 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 20:07

Mercury Cougar,artist unknown
Posted Image

#9007 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 820 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 20:24

Here is a replacement for the Chaparral 2E by David Kimble posted earlier on page 66 by DHFiallo

Posted Image

#9008 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 20:32

Lancia Fulvia, artist unknown
Posted Image

Dick Ellis ? John Marsden ?

#9009 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 20:51

Early '60s HA Vauxhall Viva, artist unknown
Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 21 May 2011 - 20:51.

#9010 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:00

Two renderings of the Chevrolet SSR by David Kimble
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9011 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:18

Larger version of the Mercedes Benz SLS AMG Gullwing 2010 as posted by Motocar on page 133
Posted Image

Mercedes McLaren SLR Stirling Moss
Posted Image

Mercedes Benz Carlsson SLK
Posted Image

#9012 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:29

1956 Tatra 603, artist unknown, brochure drawing ?
Posted Image

#9013 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:41

1986 Maserati 425 Biturbo, artist unknown.
The details have something Betti / Rosso-ish about them, but I have never seen this type of drawing by anyone of them.
Posted Image

Also see the factory brochure illustration posted by werks on page 116

Edited by macoran, 21 May 2011 - 21:43.

#9014 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 22:40

1956 Tatra 603, artist unknown, brochure drawing ?
Posted Image

There is definitely something very charming about this. :up:

It reminds me a little of the automotive 'Postage Stamp' artwork of the 1970's.

#9015 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:20

Lancia Fulvia, artist unknown
Posted Image

Dick Ellis ? John Marsden ?

from Autocar, 10/18/1963, page 723 - though it isn't signed, I believe it may be by Dick Ellis (I originally had attributed to Vic Berris, along with the Vauxhall Viva on page 727 of the same issue - however, the latter is clearly signed and I didn't notice it). A note on the page depicting the Vauxhall Viva states that the drawings on 719, 721, 723, 725, and 727 are all copyrighted by Iliffe Transport Publications, Ltd., then publisher of Autocar, but that doesn't necessarily clarify anything.
Posted Image

Peter

Edited by simplebrother, 22 May 2011 - 02:21.

#9016 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:32

Early '60s HA Vauxhall Viva, artist unknown
Posted Image

by Dick Ellis - from Autocar, 10/18/1963...
Posted Image

Peter

#9017 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:59

Two renderings of the Chevrolet SSR by David Kimble
Posted Image

Posted Image

...and another two, also by David Kimble...
another yellow one - this one with the retractable hardtop concealed instead of nearly up ...
Posted Image

and a very similar purple one, also with the hardtop retracted but with different seat details...
Posted Image

Peter

#9018 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:36

I have been a bit deficient of late in sending out new pieces, so will send out a couple of them for you tonight.
The first is a piece of American Iron typical of those big highway cruisers that were so prevalent over here. This is the Haynes cover illustration for the Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Station Wagon out of 1975. This one is illustrated by Philip Cox.
Tom West

Posted Image

#9019 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:38

Next for tonight we have the AMC-Renault Alliance out of 1985. Certainly not among the most popular cars over here, this cannot have been a real best-seller for Haynes. Cover illustration by Terry Davey.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#9020 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:41

Last for tonight (from me, anyway) is the British Mustang I, the North American P-51 Allison-engined version. this was originally published in the November 5, 1943 issue of The Aeroplane, and was pulled from the latest issue, June, 2011. The illustration was executed by Chief Technical Artist James H. Clark.
Tom West

Posted Image

#9021 harerton

harerton

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 00:19

Next for tonight we have the AMC-Renault Alliance out of 1985. Certainly not among the most popular cars over here, this cannot have been a real best-seller for Haynes. Cover illustration by Terry Davey.
Tom West

Posted Image

The American version of the Renault 9!

#9022 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:36

The American version of the Renault 9!

I wonder if that made it better or worse... :)

#9023 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,092 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:58

See it that way: the french carmakers had allways some strange (technical) solutions.

#9024 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 16:26

Well, I don't think the AMC connection worked all that well, but it did give Renault more identity here. Helping with the actual hardware; not sure I would say that. AMC was better known for the quality of their Kelvinator home appliances than that of their cars after a while, it seemed. They had a couple of interesting performance cars, but they were also outside the mainstream. Throw in things like the Pacer, which seemed like it could have been ahead of its time, except for the concept being executed with completely traditional methods.
The rest of the US makers certainly had their false starts in many ways, but, after a while, that was all that AMC had. Teaming with a quirky foreign manufacturer like Renault probably did not help them much.
Tom West

#9025 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,774 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:48

Teaming with a quirky foreign manufacturer like Renault probably did not help them much.
Tom West

While Renault liked to throw in a bit of asymmetry to the wheel bases of some of their models they were positively conservative... by Citroen's quirky standards.

Posted Image

Spotted on the wall at CGA Engineering on Saturday :-)

#9026 badQ

badQ

• 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:07

Fiat Panda 4x4
Posted Image

Edited by badQ, 23 May 2011 - 22:17.

#9027 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:12

Fiat Panda 4x4
Posted Image

Welcome badQ, great first post !!
throw everything you have at us !
euhm,....make a good start anyway !

#9028 badQ

badQ

• 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:37

quality of these are not ideal, but...)

Fiat Punto 3-door
Posted Image

Fiat Multipla
Posted Image

#9029 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:16

quality of these are not ideal, but...)

Fiat Punto 3-door
Posted Image

Fiat Multipla
Posted Image

I dug back and see that the Punto, as well as the Panda in the initial note from BadQ are done by UTS Grafica Technica out of Italy. I had a smaller and much less colorful version of the Punto with the UTS signature in the shadow beneath the car.
Welcome aboard, BadQ.
By the way, whoever might have a problem with me should complain directly and ask that I change something. It seems a bit Second Grade to go to the moderator of the group for me to be approached. Evidently, there were folks who were offended by my Avatar pics, so they will not appear in quite as much detail as before.
Tom West

#9030 harerton

harerton

• 25 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:41

Well I remember spending a month traveling through the USA on a Renault Alliance when I was 10 years old... It was very nice car!

#9031 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:49

Posted Image

Spotted on the wall at CGA Engineering on Saturday :-)

Ah, the Theo Page DFV! I noticed it on the wall in one of the photos of the interior of CGA - a place I would have liked to visit - taken by you or Giraffe, Art. The reversed, white-on-black versions work quite well, some better than others. It is a bit annoying when a publisher/agent does it without asking, however, especially as all the shading is wrong, i.e., shadows become highlites. Did I say a bit annoying? Anyway, worse things can happen, I don't know if it happens in the art world, but there seems to be the feeling that illustrators never need to be consulted over major alterations to their work, often detrimental. The favourite change is rotating the artwork so the verticals (and hence all the other -als) are wrong. It may be apparent, as I keep re-orientating other posters contributions, that I am very sensitive to this!

Sorry about the nose art, Tom, and that it was done behind your back. No point in speculating, but I understand your feelings about the way it was done.

#9032 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:35

Ah, the Theo Page DFV! I noticed it on the wall in one of the photos of the interior of CGA - a place I would have liked to visit - taken by you or Giraffe, Art. The reversed, white-on-black versions work quite well, some better than others. It is a bit annoying when a publisher/agent does it without asking, however, especially as all the shading is wrong, i.e., shadows become highlites. Did I say a bit annoying? Anyway, worse things can happen, I don't know if it happens in the art world, but there seems to be the feeling that illustrators never need to be consulted over major alterations to their work, often detrimental. The favourite change is rotating the artwork so the verticals (and hence all the other -als) are wrong. It may be apparent, as I keep re-orientating other posters contributions, that I am very sensitive to this!

Sorry about the nose art, Tom, and that it was done behind your back. No point in speculating, but I understand your feelings about the way it was done.

Tony,
I suppose that we had discussed it before I "tested" the waters, and should have held back a bit more with those things. Considering the size of them, you would probably have to be pretty young to be able to actually see them anyway ...
No big deal, but I would ask that, if I am doing something that one would rather have done differently, I will certainly entertain a suggestion or a request without any real hassle, while I tend to find the "censorship" idea to be very distasteful.
Will deal with it ... I promise.
But will also have to be a little less aggressive with the nose art ... does the Iranian Air Force now have Nose art with Burkahs??? I've got to know.
Tom West

#9033 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:48

Personally, Tom, I thought you would continue to up the ante.

I have to laugh though! :) :up:

#9034 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 122 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 13:14

up the ante.

- blokes!

#9035 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 17:00

Personally, Tom, I thought you would continue to up the ante.

I have to laugh though! :) :up:

Werks,
Actually, I think that is the problem. I did, but it was a bit gradual. Not sure how much further it would have gone, but probably not appropriate for a high-tone and fancy to-do such as this ... in the words of Cap'n Jack Sparrow.
Will try to keep this a bit more discreet, I guess so as not to scuff so close to the line ... which, I understand, was never actually crossed. I received a very polite request to back it down, and it was tough to get too bothered by it.
Will just be doing more tone-appropriate photos instead, so see if this satisfies ...
Tom West

#9036 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 19:36

You're alright, Tom. :up:

#9037 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 21:46

You're alright, Tom. :up:

Having just read the last few posts, I thoroughly agree. Malcolm

#9038 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 22:19

Having just read the last few posts, I thoroughly agree. Malcolm

Thanks, guys.
Must be doing something wrong it if took until the last couple of posts to have that known ...
Tom West

#9039 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:40

Tony, it certainly does happen in the art world, and bloody annoying it is too. The client has made the decision to reverse it as he/she "thought it might look nice white on black". Of course it's a complete disaster, looking like a negative and the job has been printed with the artist's signature on it. :mad: A similar favourite of newspaper sub-editors is to reverse photo's or drawings of heads from left to right so that they'll look into the page. Naturally they invent a new person in the process as no one has a symmetrical face.
Vincent Van Gogh comes to mind! :lol:

Advertisement

#9040 golf

golf

• 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:41

Hello, excuse for my English, I use the electronic translator. Pictures "cars in a cut" Volkswagen firms, Golf, Passat are very necessary. I have seen this branch, all 227 pages. Probably at someone else something is?
I hope for your help. Thanks.

#9041 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,614 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:39

I know that this not quite a motor car cut away, but here is a industial gearbox cut away that I did one of our 700kw 4:1 ratio gearboxes for a pump on a bucket wheel excavtor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by quintin cloud, 26 May 2011 - 06:43.

#9042 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 17:35

That's neat, Quintin, and not made from A4 printer paper for a change!

#9043 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:39

Hello, excuse for my English, I use the electronic translator. Pictures "cars in a cut" Volkswagen firms, Golf, Passat are very necessary. I have seen this branch, all 227 pages. Probably at someone else something is?
I hope for your help. Thanks.

Golf,
I have most of the VW models in cutaways that have been pulled from the Russian site. You may want to check there for all of this stuff.
Try this and see if it does what you want. I would also run a Google Search for Volkswagen, cutaway and see if you get something out of the VW factory site. There might be a PR page in there with all the latest stuff in PR images that you can get.
Good luck.
Tom West

#9044 golf

golf

• 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:15

Golf,
I have most of the VW models in cutaways that have been pulled from the Russian site. You may want to check there for all of this stuff.
Try this and see if it does what you want. I would also run a Google Search for Volkswagen, cutaway and see if you get something out of the VW factory site. There might be a PR page in there with all the latest stuff in PR images that you can get.
Good luck.
Tom West

Hello, I at first searched through Google, but haven't found. Found many usual pictures of Volkswagen, but in a cutaway it is not enough. Also has found this site. I will try once again through Google.
Thanks.

#9045 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:31

Hello, I at first searched through Google, but haven't found. Found many usual pictures of Volkswagen, but in a cutaway it is not enough. Also has found this site. I will try once again through Google.
Thanks.

Golf,
Most of those Volkswagen cutaways that I have came through the Russian site, which is actually a pretty decent archive. Check out the link there, as the material that you need is there.
Tom West

#9046 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:34

I have a couple of US cars to put out for you tonight, just for something quick, as we seem to be lolling a bit over the last few days. Both are Buicks, in the mid-sized field, although they were pretty decent sized cars. First is the Haynes Manual cover illustration of a 1985 Buick Regal by Terry Davey. Around this time, the Regal and the Cutlass were really doing well in sales in the US, so this is one of those typical '80s GM A-body cars.
Tom West

Posted Image

#9047 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:37

Second and last is the Buick Skylark out of 1981. This was a typical GM X-body car of the day, built on the same platform as the Chevrolet Nova. This is another Haynes Manual cover by Terry Davey.
Tom West

Posted Image

#9048 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 820 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 16:46

Golf,

On the end of post 8767 at page 220 there is a link to the "Russian site".
Posts 8766 and 8767 (page 220) are the latest update of the TNF Cutaway Forum Index.

Edited by ibsenop, 27 May 2011 - 16:49.

#9049 golf

golf

• 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 18:01

Golf,
Most of those Volkswagen cutaways that I have came through the Russian site, which is actually a pretty decent archive. Check out the link there, as the material that you need is there.
Tom West

Well, thanks, I will look still. :up:

#9050 Flightlinearts

Flightlinearts

• 37 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:50

Marc,
You made me feel guilty for having been "off" for a while again, so figured I would pull a few out of the scanned images ... of course, having to assemble them a bit to post.
Going aviation for three images today, starting with a fairly significant record breaker from around 60 years ago.
This is Mike Badrocke's version of the Bell X-1 Research craft, first to break the Sound Barrier, and making Chuck Yeager a fairly well-known name. I am showing that it flew first in 1947, which is a stunning realization when you think about what has happened since.
This is out of the December, 2007 issue of Air International, but was not a full two-page spread.
Tom West

Posted Image

Mike has been unwell, recently but is now recovering. For those who are interested I have just managed to get all of Frank Mungers cutaways on line. These are the cutaways that he produced outside of Flight/Flight Iternational and include aero engines never seen before. Go to flightlinearts.com and go to the Frank Munger pages.

Tim Hall