• Please log in to reply
13436 replies to this topic

#9651 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 14:23

Another of that ilk, Rod.

Posted Image
The 1951 twelve-cylinder 4.5-litre Ferrari. Artist, Harold Bubb.

Thanks Werks. I've seen that one before and something about it bothers me. :well: I think it's slightly out of whack. Wheels too big, too much ground clearance, tail too short . But a nice clean style.

Advertisement

#9652 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 16:46

Thanks Werks. I've seen that one before and something about it bothers me. :well: I think it's slightly out of whack. Wheels too big, too much ground clearance, tail too short . But a nice clean style.

:up: Yep, very true, Rod.

There is something whacked out about the Harold Bubb, Cisitalia too. It appears on the pregnant side as well as sporting a cockahoop camber or two. (All the examples posted of that car have disappeared from this thread, so I can't use it as an example, but you have probably seen it somewhere along the line).

Edit: Found it, this is the classic example, as you say clean style, but something very awkward going on with the stance.
Posted Image
1.5-litre Flat -12 Cisitalia. Artist, Harold Bubb

Edited by werks prototype, 02 August 2011 - 17:23.

#9653 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 20:21

There is something whacked out about the Harold Bubb, Cisitalia too. It appears on the pregnant side as well as sporting a cockahoop camber or two. (All the examples posted of that car have disappeared from this thread, so I can't use it as an example, but you have probably seen it somewhere along the line).

Edit: Found it, this is the classic example, as you say clean style, but something very awkward going on with the stance.
Posted Image

The comments on these Harold Bubb works have reminded me why I developed the procedure that I use for my illustrations. I always work off of exterior photos and do not move them around much from the exact angle. Saves all the fat and distorted thoughts, and I can't draw anything like that anyway, so it takes all the mystery out of it. I can figure out the inside reasonably well when I have to, but the outside would be a complete disaster without the photographic starting point.
Considering how much easier the photos became by the mid-60s when I started doing this stuff, it was just something that was possible, where it probably was not so readily available back in the 50s. I know that Flash Photography was possible, but it was pretty expensive and I can't picture a lot of those guys setting up a photo session when they had the ability to just sit there and draw the car.
Also, I knew that it was going to take a while, so dragging a car back into my bedroom (where my board was at the time) did not seem like a practical thing anyway ...
Tom West

#9654 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 21:16

I always work off of exterior photos and do not move them around much from the exact angle.

Same here, Tom, or almost. I was brought up to draw the car from scratch, as Jim Allington did, and all of my Motoring News/Motor Sport cutaways were done the traditional way, with the exception of the BRM P160, which was based on a shot of the rear of the car and I extended the front, and the Alfa P3 was based on a diecast kit, assembled by JA. Oh, and the yellow Ecurie Belge 'D' Type, which was from a photograph of a car, found somewhere in London. I had to borrow a large, extremely heavy, three-piece wooden ladder and extend it up into the iron-girder, spider-infested roof space, and turn and hang on my heels and let go to hold the camera. How I managed to avoid falling on the car, or dropping something on it, I do not know.

After I left the magazines I put more effort into taking the overall shots, my reasoning being that I was being paid to cut the subject away, not get the outline right, and deadlines are deadlines, so I only felt slightly guilty for about - er, no time at all. As has been discussed before, it is usually impossible to use a photograph unmodified, as the perspective and ellipses are never AOK, even when using lenses with minimal distortion, and useing a reasonable focal length. But whatever you have is A Big Help.

Edited to add - nice photo, Tom.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 02 August 2011 - 21:19.

#9655 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 820 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 00:35

Horten Ho 229A by artist unknown.

Posted Image

More information http://en.wikipedia....i/Horten_Ho_229

#9656 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:27

Horten Ho 229A by artist unknown.

Posted Image

More information http://en.wikipedia....i/Horten_Ho_229

Artist is A.L. Bentley - or so it would seem. The rendition below is slightly different, but the plane itself appears to be the same (except for washed-out shading).

Posted Image

He seems to like drawing unusual German aircraft - the Messerschmitt Me163 (Komet) rocket-powered fighter is also by him.

Posted Image

Peter

#9657 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:54

Posted Image

Yes, it's become a little porker and the rear suspension looks to be offset. Isn't it easy being a critic! :cool:

#9658 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:40

Same here, Tom, or almost. I was brought up to draw the car from scratch, as Jim Allington did, and all of my Motoring News/Motor Sport cutaways were done the traditional way, with the exception of the BRM P160, which was based on a shot of the rear of the car and I extended the front, and the Alfa P3 was based on a diecast kit, assembled by JA. Oh, and the yellow Ecurie Belge 'D' Type, which was from a photograph of a car, found somewhere in London. I had to borrow a large, extremely heavy, three-piece wooden ladder and extend it up into the iron-girder, spider-infested roof space, and turn and hang on my heels and let go to hold the camera. How I managed to avoid falling on the car, or dropping something on it, I do not know.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#9659 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:17

After I left the magazines I put more effort into taking the overall shots, my reasoning being that I was being paid to cut the subject away, not get the outline right, and deadlines are deadlines, so I only felt slightly guilty for about - er, no time at all. As has been discussed before, it is usually impossible to use a photograph unmodified, as the perspective and ellipses are never AOK, even when using lenses with minimal distortion, and useing a reasonable focal length. But whatever you have is A Big Help.

Yes, thank-you, Tony. Glad that you noticed.
I was always able to do something with the photos, but then correct the ellipses, as you say, as they are moving around a bit as you are seeing them, especially if you are really close to the subject. If you are taking a bit longer view, they work out OK. Never did that trapeze act to get a shot, however, although I did a lot of trackside stuff that put me in some unusual situations at times. It is amazing how few shots that I took when I started out, and how many I shoot now that I have digital equipment for the photos.
Tom West

Advertisement

#9660 vladP

vladP

• 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:42

How very extraordinary... Many thanks, werks prototype.

#9661 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:25

Yes, it's become a little porker and the rear suspension looks to be offset. Isn't it easy being a critic! :cool:

It's a terrible thing. :) (I'm one that usually likes the odd and off-kilter)

Edit: Brilliant cartoon as usual, Rod! :up:

Edited by werks prototype, 03 August 2011 - 09:44.

#9662 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 16:25

Posted Image

Just got in, tired, sweaty and dehydrated, saw this and thought "That looks surprisingly like..." Then I twigged! Rod, you rascal, very good indeed, and the professionalism in producing it so quickly is impressive. But what else would one expect?

#9663 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 17:32

Posted Image
A Benetton Ford B189 on an unusual 'tartan' background.

Benetton Ford B189. Artist, Terry Collins.

#9664 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 17:33

Posted Image
Type 35 Bugatti engine. Artist, L.C.Cresswell.

#9665 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 17:47

Posted Image
A Benetton Ford B189 on an unusual 'tartan' background.

Benetton Ford B189. Artist, Terry Collins.

Or 'graph paper' as it is known in Scotland. We used it on the later jigsaw puzzles, but much lighter and less noticeable.

#9666 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 17:59

Or 'graph paper' as it is known in Scotland. We used it on the later jigsaw puzzles, but much lighter and less noticeable.

:) It's just my sense of humour. (If you look it up though, it is technically correct, assuming you can discern colour in them there lines)

#9667 Motocar

Motocar

• 271 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 18:09

Cutaway The Batmobile, the movie car of Batman and your arsenal weponary, autor Roger S.

Posted Image

Success

Edited by Motocar, 03 August 2011 - 18:16.

#9668 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:10

Just got in, tired, sweaty and dehydrated, saw this and thought "That looks surprisingly like..." Then I twigged! Rod, you rascal, very good indeed, and the professionalism in producing it so quickly is impressive. But what else would one expect?

It's good to know that you're not throwing yourself into your work with such vigour these days Tony! Glad you liked it. You too, Werks! :)

#9669 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:56

It's good to know that you're not throwing yourself into your work with such vigour these days Tony!

Well, I'm still up ladders, Rod, but not with a camera!, and there is never a nice plump classic to break my fall!

#9670 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 15:27

The avail of 'elf n safety' has been mentioned to you previously, Tony. Again, in light of your daredevil antics.

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4256964

(Personally, I'd be looking to 'bounce' like that rather expensive looking camera)

#9671 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 15:28

Posted Image
Abarth-Fiat 750cc bored-out 600 block. Artist unknown.

#9672 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 15:29

Posted Image
Abarth-Fiat, single-seater streamliner rolling-chassis. Artist unknown.

#9673 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 17:20

Hillman Minx by D. Andrews
This Hillman has been posted before, but only the chassis was shown, here it is complete with engine detail.
Posted Image

#9674 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 17:39

ran across an old (1956) Ford Fairlane a few days ago...
Posted Image

artist unattributed...

Peter

#9675 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 22:46

I, also, have been looking at this great cartoon, and realized that it was reminding me of my friend Pete Millar's work. Pete did a variety of cartoon work for some of the custom and hot rod magazines back in the 50s and 60s, and started his own DragCartoons publication, which is wife and daughter still promote at the racing events in Southern California. Pete passed away a few years ago, but I was honored to receive an original piece of his work based on a dinner that we had at an event, including my son in the piece. Pretty cool, and still treasured.
Glad to put the connection together finally ...
Great work without my personal perspective added, by the way. Thanks.
Tom West

#9676 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:28

1951 Buick Le Sabre show car, unknown artist.

Posted Image

#9677 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:30

I, also, have been looking at this great cartoon, and realized that it was reminding me of my friend Pete Millar's work. Pete did a variety of cartoon work for some of the custom and hot rod magazines back in the 50s and 60s, and started his own DragCartoons publication, which is wife and daughter still promote at the racing events in Southern California. Pete passed away a few years ago, but I was honored to receive an original piece of his work based on a dinner that we had at an event, including my son in the piece. Pretty cool, and still treasured.
Glad to put the connection together finally ...
Great work without my personal perspective added, by the way. Thanks.
Tom West

Thanks Tom. Will have a look for Pete's work. :)

#9678 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 16:13

Posted Image
1984 Toleman TG184-Hart. Artist, Giorgio Piola.

#9679 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 16:14

Posted Image
Ligier-Ford JS15. Artist, Giorgio Piola.

Advertisement

#9680 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 16:16

Bent Sorensen's work, like that of Piola or D'Allesio, EDIT: and of course Craig Scarborough :) ,seems to lean more toward a form of illustrative journalism and the technical reportage of 'minute' in-season developments and variation.

Posted Image
Williams FW11-Honda, rear view. Artist, Bent Sorensen.

Posted Image
Williams FW11-Honda, front view. Artist, Bent Sorensen.

Posted Image
Williams FW11-Honda, turbo. Artist, Bent Sorensen.

Posted Image
Williams FW11-Honda, side view. Artist, Bent Sorensen.

Posted Image
Pop-off valve. Artist, Bent Sorensen.

Edited by werks prototype, 05 August 2011 - 16:46.

#9681 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 16:42

Thanks Tom. Will have a look for Pete's work. :)

Try a couple of these ...
http://www.laffyerasphalt.com/
http://www.competiti...te_millar3.html

Pete was a drag racer, with a small-block Ford engined Fuel Coupe called the Chicken Coupe .. which was lost in a shipping accident off the docks in Oslo ... who but Pete Millar would lose a fuel dragster off the docks in Scandinavia? Really a good guy and talented illustrator. He did a few cutaways, too, as it mentioned. I know that I had come up with copies of some that I scanned for Robin and Orah Mae, and they didn't even know he had done them.
Miss him being around.
Tom West

#9682 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 16:57

Posted Image
Pop-off valve. Artist, Bent Sorensen.

Seeing that has reminded me that I did a cutaway of a pop-off valve but I can't remember who for, when, or where the original is... Or was it for Ilmor, I think they were asked to design a valve to replace the long-in-the-tooth item issued by CART.

#9683 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:06

The 1935 cutaway of Malcolm Campbell's Blue Bird on pages 129, 132 and 192 are by Forgeron.
Posted Image

Now does anyone recognise this name, it is from a drawing of the 1964 Bluebird CN7 and looks to start Les I
Posted Image

#9684 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:44

Trev, it looks like that notorious scribe, 'Left Brakes'. I've seen his work before!

#9685 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:47

Posted Image
Wingfoot Express. Drawing, Fairchild Studios.

Edited by werks prototype, 10 August 2011 - 09:02.

#9686 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:27

Trev, it looks like that notorious scribe, 'Left Brakes'. I've seen his work before!

:) Look what you have made me do, I promised myself I would never use one of those horrible little yellow things.

Did you clean up the Wingfoot Express ? if so nice job.

This (unattributed) Theo Page CN7 is from the Science Museum London
http://www.ssplprint...-elevation-1964

#9687 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:03

:) Look what you have made me do, I promised myself I would never use one of those horrible little yellow things.

:stoned: It might just be my eyes.

Did you clean up the Wingfoot Express?

Yep, I had to in the end. It is from one of those Popular Mechanics articles from the early 1960's.

Edited by werks prototype, 07 August 2011 - 11:10.

#9688 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:10

The 1935 cutaway of Malcolm Campbell's Blue Bird on pages 129, 132 and 192 are by Forgeron.
Posted Image

Looks like the copy you have is much sharper than the one already posted, do you have the whole car ?

#9689 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:14

Posted Image
Maserati six cylinder F2, 1953. (A6GCM). Giovani Cavara

#9690 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:17

Maserati A6GCM 1953 year
Posted Image

Posted Image
(I know we didn't really need confirmation, but here is the Maserati A6GCM signed by the man himself. Artist, Giovani Cavara.

#9691 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 13:07

Posted Image
Lear Vapordyne. Artist, Dale Gustafson.

#9692 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted Image
Lycoming LTS101. Artist, AVCO, In-house.

#9693 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted Image
Lycoming T53-L-13. Artist, AVCO, In-house.

#9694 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 13:08

Posted Image
Lycoming T-55-L-712. Artist, AVCO, In-house.

#9695 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 13:08

Posted Image
Lycoming ALF502R. Artist, AVCO, In-house.

#9696 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 14:36

Looks like the copy you have is much sharper than the one already posted, do you have the whole car ?

It's a little cleaner but has a gutter mark just behind the engine.
Posted Image

#9697 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 16:47

The September issue of Practical Classics contains a cutaway of the 'Meadows Frisky' (So at least we now know it is out there) :)

It also contains a couple of thumbnail sized Dino cutaways!

#9698 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 18:49

Posted Image

T,
Out of curiosity, where did you find that illustration with the name still included. I have seen it many places, but never with the name. There is another Bluebird Illustration that I have down as being from 1931. It looks like the same illustrator. Any idea if Forgeron might have done that one, too?
Thanks for your information ... always nice to get another wonderful classic piece out of the Unknown artist file.
Tom West

#9699 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 19:13

Originally from The Motor, but it is in The Land Speed Record 1898 - 1999 , I have recently seen a copy for sale at around $100
Also available as 5 individual books that you can get on ebay USA for about $10 each. the only 1931 cutaway I have seen is initialed W J E
it's on page 192.

Just remembered there is another 1931 Bluebird by Max Millar in the same book

Edited by tbolt, 07 August 2011 - 19:54.

Advertisement

#9700 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 19:58

Originally from The Motor, but it is in The Land Speed Record 1898 - 1999 , I have recently seen a copy for sale at around $100
Also available as 5 individual books that you can get on ebay USA for about $10 each. the only 1931 cutaway I have seen is initialed W J E
it's on page 192.

Just remembered there is another 1931 Bluebird by Max Millar in the same book

T,
I remember that hooked J in the middle of the initials now. I have those books, although not the LSR 98-99 book. Is that the one by Cyril Posthumus? If so, i had it, but it disappeared out of my old office and I never got it back. Will have to check my Index of the illustrations that I have, I guess.
Thanks for the details.
Tom West