• Please log in to reply
13425 replies to this topic

#9701 KarlKarlson

KarlKarlson

• 11 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 20:15

Any better resolution of this? Porsche 924 Turbo Le Mans

Posted Image

Edited by KarlKarlson, 07 August 2011 - 20:16.

Advertisement

#9702 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 20:18

Is that the one by Cyril Posthumus?

No, it was compiled by R M Clarke published by Brooklands Books. The Posthumus book is very popular, I am on my third copy, the previous two having gone the same way as yours.

#9703 Embers

Embers

• 141 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 22:38

1951 Buick Le Sabre show car, unknown artist.

Posted Image

I know this isn’t a forum on the history and technology of the automobile, but I couldn’t let pass the cutaway of the Buick LeSabre. If you haven’t bothered to look at the call-outs on the cutaway, consider that this car was constructed 60 years ago, 1951. It was more than a show car, as the touring GM Motoramas did not start until 1963, but an engineering laboratory. Note the following:
• The car body was made of aluminum and magnesium.
• The V8 engine was supercharged and had not only fuel (gasoline) injection, but also methanol injection.
• The automatic transmission was located in a transaxle position at the differential.
• The brakes were inboard at the rear.
• The double-wishbone front suspension was sprung by rubber, in torsion.
• The rear suspension was De Dion, like contemporary racing cars. The spring was a tapered single leaf.
• The “shock absorbers” (dampers) were of the latest hydraulic type – there were four at the rear
• It had built-in hydraulic jacks.
• The electrical system was 12 volt, when most contemporary cars had 6 volt.
• The windscreen was wraparound with a projected speedometer display (an early head-up display).
The 1950’s are somewhat thought of a time of excess for General Motors’ designs, but it should be recognized that there was also a tremendous amount of original engineering done.

I have included a photo of the ’51 LeSabre taken at the 2008 Pebble Beach Concours, which celebrated 100 years of General Motors.

Posted Image

#9704 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 818 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 22:49

Any better resolution of this? Porsche 924 Turbo Le Mans

See page 54 post #2141 (posted by Macoran) 4624x2177 pixels

Edited by ibsenop, 07 August 2011 - 22:55.

#9705 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 23:02

I know this isn’t a forum on the history and technology of the automobile, but I couldn’t let pass the cutaway of the Buick LeSabre.

It's why we appreciate your posts and input Embers

I all too often forget to supply some background info to go with the images I post.

Edited by macoran, 07 August 2011 - 23:04.

#9706 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 23:18

The one I posted is 2.27 Mb but it isn't much clearer or brighter than the 73.6Kb Karl posted

I'll have to check and see if the 3page Auto Zeitung is still ready to hand,I'll give it a new run through the scanner
once the problems are sorted here ...scanner wise,..... yes Tony.....it is HP !!! ......and not the sauce !

Edited by macoran, 07 August 2011 - 23:24.

#9707 KarlKarlson

KarlKarlson

• 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:38

My apologies, I must have overlooked it in the index :drunk: only saw;

Porsche 924S 1985 by artist unknown - page 103
Porsche 924 1978 by artist unknown - page 104
Porsche 924 1976 by Technical Art - page 12
Porsche 928 S 1986 by Technical Art - page 119
Porsche 928 S 1983 by Technical Art - page 119
Porsche 928 1979 by Technical Art - page 119

#9708 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:09

once the problems are sorted here ...scanner wise,..... yes Tony.....it is HP !!! ......and not the sauce !

I think I will have to replace mine, Marc. It is now producing a pale pink stripe down the centre of all my colour scans. Saucy!

#9709 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 16:10

I think I will have to replace mine, Marc. It is now producing a pale pink stripe down the centre of all my colour scans. Saucy!

Tony,
I have had those stripes appear on my scanner, and found that recalibrating the unit has fixed it ... still have the same scanner, if that tells you anything.
Tom West

#9710 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 17:15

I will check 're-calibrating' Tom, all I know is un-installing and re-installing! Had to do that a lot with earlier stuff, the HP seems OK in that rrepect. Thanks for the tip.

#9711 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 20:13

I will check 're-calibrating' Tom, all I know is un-installing and re-installing! Had to do that a lot with earlier stuff, the HP seems OK in that rrepect. Thanks for the tip.

Tony,
I have a flatbed scanner, with the backlight for negs, that is a Canon, and a big dedicated Nikon 8000 for normal negs, and they both need to do that self-tune on occasion. Thought the same as you did with the streaks and all of that, but this may solve your problem without resort to heaving, tossing, broken windows, chipped stairways or other more physical means.
By the way, I know that I am not working "full-scale" here (costwise), but I just came up with enough to justify going up to Bonneville Speedweek for the first time. Leaving early Thursday, probably be back here on Tuesday the way things sit now. I have a shoot with three modified roadster, two of which will turn into cutaways, and another that took me over the top of a whee-driven LSR. There should be another of those up there, and I know the owner of that one, so may have to see if I can get him to go along with one, too. We sold him a run of diecast cars on his Top Fuel car, so who knows?
Just thought you guys might like to know that there will actually be a couple of cutaways coming out of this deal.
Tom West

#9712 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 20:40

or other more physical means.

The HP 4550C cannot handle hard slaps on the close lid !!

#9713 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 22:39

Just thought you guys might like to know that there will actually be a couple of cutaways coming out of this deal.
Tom West

That sounds exciting, the creation of a contemporary cutaway or two!

P.S.
The glass surface of my scanner is like a miniature trampoline, appearing almost to oscillate, day to day, between being convex or concave depending on, I don't know what. But I know which state it is in, depending on how the lid is sitting.

This is scanners anonymous isn't it..........?

#9714 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 22:41

Posted Image
1927 Delage, engine and detail. Artist, L.C.Cresswell.

Posted Image
1927 Delage. Artist, L.C.Cresswell.

The return of the Delage, slightly better quality and with extra engine/transmission detail.

#9715 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 22:42

Posted Image
1953 Ferrari Formula II. Artist, Edit: L.C.Cresswell? (Slightly better quality and with scale/profile drawings)

Edited by werks prototype, 09 August 2011 - 05:54.

#9716 Repco22

Repco22

• 713 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:14

Posted Image
1953 Ferrari Formula II. Artist unknown. Slightly better quality and with scale/profile drawings.

Werks, the above drawing is in "The Grand Prix Car" Vol Two, by Laurence Pomeroy and while it has no signature, illustrations [of which there are a lot] are credited to L C Cresswell.

#9717 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:53

Werks, the above drawing is in "The Grand Prix Car" Vol Two, by Laurence Pomeroy and while it has no signature, illustrations [of which there are a lot] are credited to L C Cresswell.

Thanks, Rod. :up:

#9718 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:26

going up to Bonneville Speedweek

Enjoy, I recently bought the "Boys from Bonneville" DVD, about AB Jenkins the man who started it all, great stuff.

#9719 Embers

Embers

• 141 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 17:51

[quote name='werks prototype' date='Aug 8 2011, 15:41' post='5222662']
Posted Image
1927 Delage. Artist, L.C.Cresswell.

Posted Image
Here is a picture of the actual car, taken at the 2008 Monterey Historic Automobile Races. The significance of this car is that it won the 1927 Grand Prix World Championship. Louis Delage, a wealthy car manufacturer since 1906, and a racing enthusiast, turned his attention to GP racing and set out to build the best cars in the world. After several years this culminated in the 1927 Delage. The car’s engine was a double-overhead-cam straight eight of 1488 cc utilizing a plethora of ball and roller bearings and twin Roots superchargers. This produced 165 horsepower at 8,400 rpm driving through a 5-speed gearbox.

In 1927 Delage entered a three-car team to contest the constructor’s championship, winning the French, Spanish, European, and English Grands Prix to take the title. There was no Driver’s Championship then, but Robert Benoit won each of these races for Delage. Exiting at the top, Delage dissolved the team at the end of the season.

Advertisement

#9720 Embers

Embers

• 141 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 20:15

Posted Image
Continuing the theme of General Motors’ advanced engineering from my post on the Buick LeSabre, here is a cutaway of the Chevrolet Express from the July 2008 issue of Corvette Magazine. The artwork is unattributed.

The Express was designed and built in the mid-1980s and first shown at the Detroit Auto Show of 1987. The idea behind this car was that of efficient, high speed interurban transport as an alternative to air and rail lines. The Express could carry four passengers at 150 miles per hour, getting 25 miles per gallon using a mid-mounted gas turbine engine. This was possible due to an exceptionally low drag coefficient of 0.195 and a recuperated turbine. That means that a porous ceramic disk was used to transfer heat from the turbine exhaust to the compressed air. That is shown in the cutaway as the object behind the turbine engine with the pie-shaped piece cut out of it.

The car’s shape was created by John Shettler and Hank Haga of GM’s Advanced Concept Center in California, while engineering development was directed by Don Runkle at their Advanced Vehicle Engineering in Michigan. The engine was GM’s AGT5 (Automotive Gas Turbine 5?) and, in addition to the recuperator, featured a variable power turbine nozzle which could provide some engine braking. A modified GM automatic transmission and differential delivered power to the wheels. Special Goodyear tires were made that could cope with a suatained 150 mph.

Other features were electrohydraulic rack-and-pinion steering, drive-by-wire throttle, touch-screen switches for the HVAC system, telephone, CD player, entertainment system, and navigation system. Steering wheel switches accessed the cruise control, entertainment system, and wipers. Rear vision was provided by a camera. Such features are common today, but were cutting edge 25 years ago. The carbon-fiber reinforced underbody incorporating a diffuser to reduce base drag has only appeared in expensive “supercars”.

The car was built and driven. Here is its picture: Posted Image

#9721 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 20:27

The Express could carry four passengers at 150 miles per hour, getting 25 miles per gallon using a mid-mounted gas turbine engine. This was possible due to an exceptionally low drag coefficient of 0.195 and a recuperated turbine. That means that a porous ceramic disk was used to transfer heat from the turbine exhaust to the compressed air. That is shown in the cutaway as the object behind the turbine engine with the pie-shaped piece cut out of it.

Fascinating stuff, Embers. :up:

Edit: Now if only someone could find a cutaway of this beast (Oldsmobile aerotech), apologies for the 'muzak' associated with this clip;

Edited by werks prototype, 09 August 2011 - 20:44.

#9722 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 20:30

Posted Image

Just as cool now!

#9723 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 21:11

Enjoy, I recently bought the "Boys from Bonneville" DVD, about AB Jenkins the man who started it all, great stuff.

Thanks, T.
Just confirmed a few minutes ago that I will have one of those scooter things to get around with, as walking for four days on the Salt is probably not going to do my missing right hip joint a hell of a lot of good. Boys from Bonneville was great, I never really thought that it would be very good, but it was. Very informative, with a lot of period photography and film, and follows the progress through the cars and up to the restoration and running of the car again on the Salt with Andy Green in the seat. Had to be a very different experience for him.
Just hope to be able to work in those reference shoots for the three illustrations .. that is the reason for going.
Tom West

#9724 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 21:19

Fascinating stuff, Embers. :up:

Edit: Now if only someone could find a cutaway of this beast (Oldsmobile aerotech), apologies for the 'muzak' associated with this clip;

Werks,
I do not recall ever seeing an illustration of the Aerotech. I have a special magazine insert that I just ran across a couple of weeks ago, and thought that there might have been something there ... but no. I thought the same as you. For any of these really unusual projects, the Cutaway is the only way to show what is so special in these vehicles.
As to the Express, the work is a bit reminiscent of a guy named Tom Quinlan who did some cutaways for Pontiac catalogs back a few years. The printing was much better on those pieces, so maybe, with a bit better original to work from, it could show as the same artist.
Tom West

#9725 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 21:27

I do not recall ever seeing an illustration of the Aerotech.

Is that the beast built on a March CART chassis and engine? If so, I saw it at March, and hoped to do a cutaway, but it never happened. I don't mean, I hoped to be paid to do it, I just wanted to do it, but for reasons lost in the mists of time, I cannot remember why, nothing came of it.

Edited to say, having looked at werks' link, that is she.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 09 August 2011 - 21:30.

#9726 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 22:41

Is that the beast built on a March CART chassis and engine? If so, I saw it at March, and hoped to do a cutaway, but it never happened. I don't mean, I hoped to be paid to do it, I just wanted to do it, but for reasons lost in the mists of time, I cannot remember why, nothing came of it.

Edited to say, having looked at werks' link, that is she.

Goodness me! That would have been something to behold. (Infact I think I would rather not know that now, in terms of another one that got away, like the Bentley Speed 8)

I wonder if you saw the rather elegant long tail version or the (XJ220-ish) short tail with the wing?

Edit: They were indeed built on the 84C Chassis.

(Long and short tail below)

http://auto.howstuff...oncept-car3.htm

Edited by werks prototype, 10 August 2011 - 09:01.

#9727 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 22:43

Werks,
I do not recall ever seeing an illustration of the Aerotech. I have a special magazine insert that I just ran across a couple of weeks ago, and thought that there might have been something there ... but no. I thought the same as you. For any of these really unusual projects, the Cutaway is the only way to show what is so special in these vehicles.
As to the Express, the work is a bit reminiscent of a guy named Tom Quinlan who did some cutaways for Pontiac catalogs back a few years. The printing was much better on those pieces, so maybe, with a bit better original to work from, it could show as the same artist.Tom West

Thanks, Tom. That makes sense. I'll edit the original post accordingly. :up:

Edited by werks prototype, 09 August 2011 - 23:19.

#9728 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 23:54

Thanks, Tom. That makes sense. I'll edit the original post accordingly. :up:

Werks,
Don't take my word for that being Tom Quinlan as the artist. Just a possibility from a similar time frame, although I would think the illustration was done closer to the 1987 time frame than the publication date in 2002. Will have to dig out that old Pontiac brochure and scan the illustration when I can. Still have around 80 or so cars/aircraft sitting in the ToDo file on my Desktop now ...
Tom West

#9729 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 23:58

Werks,
Don't take my word for that being Tom Quinlan as the artist. Just a possibility from a similar time frame, although I would think the illustration was done closer to the 1987 time frame than the publication date in 2002. Will have to dig out that old Pontiac brochure and scan the illustration when I can. Still have around 80 or so cars/aircraft sitting in the ToDo file on my Desktop now ...
Tom West

:stoned: I have just 'clicked' Tom. Did you mean the Wingfoot Express (Which is the drawing that I attributed to Quinlan) Or the Chevrolet Express? (There are too many 'expresses' around here!) Obviously you were referring to the Chevrolet Express?

Edited by werks prototype, 10 August 2011 - 00:05.

#9730 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:17

Oldsmobile Aerotech. Not really a cutaway, but seems to be a composite photograph of the car with body off and body on. Not the sharpest photo, either! From the book The World's Fastest Cars by Alex Gabbard and Graham Robson.

Posted Image

#9731 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:37

:stoned: I have just 'clicked' Tom. Did you mean the Wingfoot Express (Which is the drawing that I attributed to Quinlan) Or the Chevrolet Express? (There are too many 'expresses' around here!) Obviously you were referring to the Chevrolet Express?

Not sure how I missed the reference to the Wingfoot Express, which doesn't look like the Quinlan art that I remember.
I was referring to the Chevrolet Express, as you concluded.
Tom West

#9732 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:20

Oldsmobile Aerotech. Not really a cutaway, but seems to be a composite photograph of the car with body off and body on. Not the sharpest photo, either! From the book The World's Fastest Cars by Alex Gabbard and Graham Robson.

Posted Image

I saw the long-tail version, but it may have been just the body on low trestles The most noticable difference, apart from the body, is that massive intercooler. Thanks Frank, I now remember seeing this illustration at the time.

#9733 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:57

Not sure how I missed the reference to the Wingfoot Express, which doesn't look like the Quinlan art that I remember.
I was referring to the Chevrolet Express, as you concluded.
Tom West

:up: My mistake, Tom.

#9734 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:00

Posted Image

:up: Good enough for these purposes, helioseism. It's a case of spot the difference I think regarding the March 84C CART chassis underneath. It is more 'modified' than I thought.

#9735 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:09

:up: Good enough for these purposes, helioseism. It's a case of spot the difference I think regarding the March 84C CART chassis underneath. It is more 'modified' than I thought.

While I never built it, I would imagine that the Monogram modelkit of the car will show the big pieces and parts very nicely, if you can find one of them around. Good way to figure the thing out, if you feel like putting in a bit of assembly time ... or detailing time ...
Interesting to think that the kit is now about 25 years old ... amazing. Doesn't seem like more than 24.
Tom West

#9736 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 21:11

Not a cutaway, but still potentially of interest. Built, but not put into production. (An early space-frame design killed by the war). Plan and section views of the Aston Martin Atom and engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9737 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 21:12

Posted Image
Renault RE01. Artist, Patrick Grace/E.T.A.I. France.

#9738 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:55

Not a cutaway, but still potentially of interest. Built, but not put into production.
Posted Image

Another that I photographed but didn't draw... A very nice looking little car.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 11 August 2011 - 04:55.

#9739 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 19:29

I can only recall having scanned it from a French magazine, it looks to me like an E.T.A.I cutaway.

Anyway here is another unsigned cutaway, the JS7 Ligier, it wasn't even dedicated to any artist in the text of the accompanying article,
but it has to be a Serge Bellu rendering.
Posted Image

Like a game of black and white snap.
Posted Image
Ligier JS7-9. B&W version.

Advertisement

#9740 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 19:30

the next Terry Collins Benetton.
B188
Posted Image

Posted Image
Benetton B188- Ford V8 DFR atmospheric version. B&W version. Artist, Terry Collins.

#9741 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 19:31

I recently mentioned Terry Collins in another thread.
Ill start posting some of his Benettons here
B187 to start off
Posted Image

Posted Image
Benetton B187-Ford. B&W version. Artist, Terry Collins.

#9742 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 19:37

Posted Image
McLaren M26. Artist, Giorgio Piola.

#9743 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 19:43

Like a game of black and white snap.
Posted Image
Ligier JS7-9. B&W version.

So...it is a Serge Bellu , thanks Mark :up:

#9744 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 19:49

So...it is a Serge Bellu , thanks Mark :up:

Yes, I was going to comment on that, Marc. You've got a damn good eye! :up:

#9745 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 00:11

Posted Image
Ferrari 126C3. Artist, Giorgio Piola.

#9746 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 00:12

Posted Image
Comprex supercharging system. Drawing, BBC Brown Boveri, artist unknown.

#9747 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,768 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 00:12

Posted Image
Lotus 88 twin -chassis, annotated version. Artist, Giorgio Piola.

#9748 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:42

NASP by Alex Pang, The National Aero - Space Plane, I believe something similar was in the news recently, UK to Australia in 3 hours,
but you will have to wait about 40 years for it to be built.
Posted Image

You can see more of his work here. Alex Pang

Edited by tbolt, 14 August 2011 - 11:47.

#9749 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 16:28

Posted Image
Comprex supercharging system. Drawing, BBC Brown Boveri, artist unknown.

I still wonder how that thing worked. Did any other car company than Opel ever use it?

#9750 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 16:50

I think Ferrari tested it on the F1 126C before switching to KKK turbochargers ?
The car then became the 126CK