Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13438 replies to this topic

#10151 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 22:07

It looks very similar to the Talbot Horizon that was sold in the UK in the early 80's. I had one as a Hertz rental car for a few days and it was possibly the worst piece of junk I've ever driven. I had to go to Peterborough to renew more passport and drove up the A1 in in ice and snow. As soon as it hit anything slippery it would crab up the road and it was almost impossible to keep the backend in line. Every time it went over a bump, the hatchback would pop open so I ended up taping the bloody thing down. I went to take it back and as I started it the timing chain/belt? broke. The last straw was when Hertz sent a truck to pick it up the winch flattened the battery on the truck and my neighbour had to jump start it from his car....

Alan,
I actually did work on the Horizon and Alpine but honestly can't remember what, sincerely hope it had nothing to do with spoiling your holiday.

Advertisement

#10152 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 22:16

Stuart,
You are completely correct about the Simca-Talbot roots for this car. I have the cover of one of those in here somewhere, so it will show up at some point. Appreciate the correction .. which may be needed on occasion, as you indicate.
Appreciate the thoughts, speaking for myself and, I am sure, the others who tend to be fanatic enough to pull this stuff out of the weeds on occasion. Somehow, sharing this stuff makes it seem like more of a social activity, rather than just making one a recluse in the corner of the basement ...
Thanks to all of you for making this a socially acceptable behavior.
How about posting a few of your works here, Stuart? There is such a variety of material that any cutaway effort is going to be welcomed, especially from a "new" artist.
Will look forward to seeing your work.
Thank-you.
Tom West

Tom,
It was never intended as a correction just additional information, I worked for 36 years in car engineering and design studios and have never ceased to be amazed at the amount of knowledge people like your good self have. Both the Alpine and the Horizon won european Car of the Year awards which from Alans experience is a little worrying.
I will one day pluck up courage to post some of my work although I think there are approximately six examples on the site already.

#10153 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 22:20

Since we are varying our work bit here, this is a color piece by Mike Badrocke that was published in an Air International Special supplement on the Eurofighter Typhoon in 2009. These advertising supplements might be a bit skewed toward how magnificent a particular product might be, but it did give history and detail that was quite detailed. Amazing how much cleanup I had to do to get this illustration in this shape, as it looked like a lot of the edges of the illustration had been chipped in the production, so edges were very ratty in places for some reason. Does not work that way for the regular publication, I have found.
Tom West

Posted Image

Can you spot the differences... are usually done by werks, but here is an earlier Eurofighter Typhoon drawing, also by Mike Badrocke. The discrepancies are numerous.
Posted Image

Peter

#10154 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 22:23

That wouldn't be Barry Rowe, by any chance?

Hi Werks,
Nearly it is Barry Hunter....I spoke to Barry Rowe a couple of months ago about the cutaways that were posted on this site and he told me he did 300 illustrations for Bosch in 9 months, in his own words "Amazing what you can do when you are young with a growing family and large mortgage!!"

#10155 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 22:45

Hi Werks,
Nearly it is Barry Hunter....I spoke to Barry Rowe a couple of months ago about the cutaways that were posted on this site and he told me he did 300 illustrations for Bosch in 9 months,

Hello Stuart. That Bosch book is great.

in his own words "Amazing what you can do when you are young with a growing family and large mortgage!!"

That sounds like motivation enough, he must have really gotten his head down there. I thought the results were superb. I haven't yet seen a style like it.

#10156 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 16:26

Hello Stuart. That Bosch book is great.

That sounds like motivation enough, he must have really gotten his head down there. I thought the results were superb. I haven't yet seen a style like it.

I first had the pleasure of meeting Barry Rowe nine years ago and he is a great guy with a good sense of humour besides being a brilliant artist. I think I mentioned before he is a member of the Automotive Fine Arts Society and I believe has been voted best artist at show at Pebble Beach on several occasions. Jay Koka, post 10064, is also a member of the AFAS.

#10157 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 22:21

I first had the pleasure of meeting Barry Rowe nine years ago and he is a great guy with a good sense of humour besides being a brilliant artist. I think I mentioned before he is a member of the Automotive Fine Arts Society and I believe has been voted best artist at show at Pebble Beach on several occasions. Jay Koka, post 10064, is also a member of the AFAS.

You are right, Stuart. Having just now followed that one up. :up:

I don't think we were aware of his cutaway work until helioseism first posted the Ferrari.

From Prancing Horse #81, here is the Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona by Jay Koka. A rather different viewpoint and style from other artists.
Posted Image

And of the paintings highlighted as part of his retrospective, Mondial 1 and 3. And Porsche RS60 are really interesting.

http://www.k20.ca/3_...87_Mondial1.htm

http://www.lmgauto.com/art/koka/m3.htm

http://www.lmgauto.c...t/koka/rs60.htm

http://www.k20.ca/3_...985_Cutaway.htm

#10158 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 22:33

Posted Image
AC Ace. 1954. Sporting Chassis. Artist, unknown. Almost certainly after the work of another/original.

#10159 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 22:34

Posted Image
Bugatti Type 37 engine. 1925. Artist, Max Millar.

Advertisement

#10160 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 22:34

Posted Image
'Pop' Lewis-Evans' Cooper. Artist, Richard Burgess. Looks like quite an early CG work to me.

#10161 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 22:35

Posted Image
Lancia Beta Monte Carlo. (Road car). Artist, Dick Ellis.

Posted Image
Lancia Beta Monte Carlo. (Road car). Body shell and dimensions. Artist, Dick Ellis.

#10162 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 19:00

You are right, Stuart. Having just now followed that one up. :up:

I don't think we were aware of his cutaway work until helioseism first posted the Ferrari.

And of the paintings highlighted as part of his retrospective, Mondial 1 and 3. And Porsche RS60 are really interesting.

http://www.k20.ca/3_...87_Mondial1.htm

http://www.lmgauto.com/art/koka/m3.htm

http://www.lmgauto.c...t/koka/rs60.htm

http://www.k20.ca/3_...985_Cutaway.htm

Hi Werks,
thanks for those links, his work is truly outstanding which is why he is a member of the AFAS, I also had no idea that he had done cutaway work but it was the same re Barry Rowe until you posted his illustrations.

#10163 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 16:43

Thought things were a touch quiet on here, so wanted to break the jam a bit.
This illustration is a David Kimble piece done for Chrysler, one of three that were in their 1997 catalog. You have already seen the others, so this is the last one, the Chrysler LHS from 1997. Not sure that these cars ever got a lot of attention, but they filled that spot for a luxury sport sedan in the lineup ... 15 years ago. Just hit me that it was that long ago ... wow.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10164 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 22:51

The first illustration today is one of 29 done by Frank Soltesz for Armstrong Cork between 1947 and 1951 in their How Industry Operates series. The series was part of Armstrong's advertising campaign in the Saturday Evening Post at that time. A 21" x 22" print suitable for framing was free to any who requested one until late 1950. After that a booklet illustrating 13 of the illustrated industries was offered instead of large-scale prints. This example, titled How a Frozen Food Plant Operates, ran in the 06/30/1951 edition.

Posted Image

Peter

#10165 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 23:28

Today's second illustration is a cutaway of firefighters attacking a conflagration fully involving at least two structures. It doesn't have the exquisite detail of the automotive or aviation drawings we regularly see, nor are the resolution or size overly impressive. I include it mostly because of its age - this engraving was first published in 1690 by Jan Van der Heiden of Amsterdam and later included in a book titled Fire engines with hoses and methods of fighting fires by him and his son.

Posted Image

Peter

#10166 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 23:33

The 1937 BMW 328 that is my last entry for the day is by Inkwell Studios. I thought that it had been posted, but it does not appear to be in the index.

Posted Image

Peter

#10167 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:09

Posted Image

What a fantastic illustration, Peter! It just shows that the principles of Technical Illustration have been understood for centuries - the perspective is spot on, the construction details of the building are all there, the background is great - what more can I ssay? Thanks for posting it.

#10168 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 18:55

Posted Image
Abarth 1.75-litre 'Delta S4' engine. Artist, Niedermeier?

#10169 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 18:56

Posted Image
Lagonda Rapide. Artist, John Ferguson.

#10170 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 18:56

Posted Image
Alpha single (rear carb). Artist, Lawrence Watts.

#10171 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 18:57

Posted Image
Aston Martin DB3. Artist, R.E.Poulton.

#10172 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:50

The 1937 BMW 328 that is my last entry for the day is by Inkwell Studios. I thought that it had been posted, but it does not appear to be in the index.
Posted Image
Peter

Here is another look at that pushrod system.

Posted Image
B.M.W. 328 engine 'Cross-over' pushrod system. Artist unknown.

#10173 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:53

(And to kill a bit more time ahead of the Korean Grand Prix qualifying) :stoned:
Posted Image
Pawl. Offenhauser Indianapolis Roadster. 1954. (Rodger Ward). Artist, Richard Burgess.

Edited by werks prototype, 15 October 2011 - 04:38.

#10174 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,095 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 14:13

Gents I just run into a site with some nice F1 car cutaways. I don't know if it's been mentioned here before or not.
http://www.sportscar...F1cutaways.html

The same with this one:
Posted Image

What page is the last index again?

#10175 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 820 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 16:49

What page is the last index again?

Page 250 updated to this post. Every ten pages a new edition. 250, 260....

TNF Index update - page 250 - posts 9973, 9974 and 9975 - up to post 10180

Edited by ibsenop, 15 October 2011 - 16:52.

#10176 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 17:28

Well, Ibsen, I will give you a few more items to add to your Indexing work. Know that you need more of this to do, of course.
I am going to try to work down my backlog of material in the Aircraft and automotive subjects a little at a time, so we start with a Mike Badrocke piece from Air International, the Eurocopter EC725 Caracal. This utility transport and patrol craft was first flown in 2006, and was published in the September, 2008 issue of the magazine.
A bit different from the Valiant and some of the others that I have posted of late.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10177 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 17:34

Our second aircraft entry for the day is another Mike Badrocke piece out of Classic Airliners. This is a publication that I check out when I find it, but I think it is a quarterly, so I have not seen it recently. I try to check out all of these publications regularly, and will pick up anything with a cutaway, even if I know that I have it elsewhere.
This is another Mike Badrocke illustration of the Fokker F27 Friendship Mark 500. This publication was in the November, 2010 issue of the magazine, but it has been around previously. Basically, one of those secondary route, short-haul airliners for smaller markets. Believe that I have flown on them, maybe not this Mark, however. Interesing mix of Saabs, Fokkers and other smaller manufacturers mixed in with the Boeing and Airbus equipment in the US airline lists.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10178 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 17:37

Back to a couple of cars for you, ones that I am sure you have not been awaiting ...
This is a Haynes cover illustration by Terry Davey for the 1988 Pontiac Grand Am. Good, sound, but basic automotive technology that would get the job done with a touch of style if you ordered it that way. We had one of these for my wife back in the day, but think it was the earlier version, and it served us very well. Of course, she never heard of Apexing a corner, either ...
Tom West

Posted Image

#10179 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 17:40

Sister car to the Chevrolet Cavalier, the Pontiac J2000 was not a particularly notable car from anything that I remember. A bit upfeatured compared to the lower-line Cavalier, these filled that niche in the GM lineup to compete with various other smaller FWD cars in the market.
This Terry Davey cover illustration for Haynes shows the 1985 version of the Pontiac J2000.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#10180 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 18:13

Another mid-80s car, but this with a bit more interest, this Terry Davey cover from Haynes shows the entry-level Porsche 944, that i have shown as being from 1985. Not the best car Porsche ever built, but it did a not of things very nicely and was reasonably affordable, so it was an interesting entry to the market. And, it was a Porsche, of course.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10181 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:16

Posted Image

Another, slightly earlier D.K.W.

Posted Image
D.K.W. 1955. Artist , Schlenzig.

Posted Image
D.K.W. engine. 1953. Artist, Schlenzig.

#10182 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:19

Posted Image
V-Four Lancia Appia. Artist, unknown.

Posted Image
Lancia. Frameless car. 1920. Artist, unknown.

#10183 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:21

Posted Image
Main case of the Hewland FG400 and FGA gearbox. Drawing, Hewland Engineering, draughtsman unknown.

Posted Image
Hewland FGB gearbox components. Drawing, Hewland Engineering, draughtsman unknown.

Posted Image
Hewland FGB gearing arrangement. Drawing, Hewland Engineering, draughtsman unknown.

#10184 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 19:55

The first for this afternoon is an image of the Dino 206, artist unknown.
Posted Image

The second is of an unknown car, or, more precisely, a fictional car, that embodied what the British population supposedly was seeking in a new vehicle in 1953. This is another illustration from Eagle comics, specifically 10/23/1953, and is by L Ashwell Wood.
Posted Image

The third is the Bombardier Continental, a small business jet, drawn by Giuseppe Picarella.
Posted Image

Peter

#10185 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 20:10

Quite some time ago someone posted some of the Cyril Posthumus Non Conformists and/or Prophets Without Honor series (all or at least mostly by Brian Hatton). If it isn't too much trouble, more of those would be a wonderful addition to the thread.

Someone else (or possible the same someone) posted some of the drawings from Giovanni Cavara's 60 Cars in X-ray (60 Vetture Ai raggi X) - it sounded like there might be more to come - if possible, those also would be great.

My apologies for not remembering who had posted the above (and for not having enough ambition to go back through the 255 pages to identify you)...

Peter

#10186 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 20:14

The first for this afternoon is an image of the Dino 206, artist unknown.
Posted Image

The second is of an unknown car, or, more precisely, a fictional car, that embodied what the British population supposedly was seeking in a new vehicle in 1953. This is another illustration from Eagle comics, specifically 10/23/1953, and is by L Ashwell Wood.
Posted Image

The third is the Bombardier Continental, a small business jet, drawn by Giuseppe Picarella.
Posted Image

Peter

Peter,
i have your Ferrari Dino in my Guilio Betti file, but show it as a 246. Same thing with the engine in that location, but didn't bring it up to compare full sized. Would go with Guilio rather than Bruno on this one but that is what I am showing.
Thanks for the posts.
Tom West

#10187 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 20:22

Quite some time ago someone posted some of the Cyril Posthumus Non Conformists and/or Prophets Without Honor series (all or at least mostly by Brian Hatton). If it isn't too much trouble, more of those would be a wonderful addition to the thread.

Someone else (or possible the same someone) posted some of the drawings from Giovanni Cavara's 60 Cars in X-ray (60 Vetture Ai raggi X) - it sounded like there might be more to come - if possible, those also would be great.

My apologies for not remembering who had posted the above (and for not having enough ambition to go back through the 255 pages to identify you)...

Peter

Peter,
I must apologize because I think the one who committed to post more of the Cavara pieces was me. I still have the Italian Auto Club book sitting here but have not scanned any because I have so many others awaiting completion. Will try to start working a few of those in for you, however.
Can't trust those Yanks, can you?
But, I do change out the Profile pic fairly regularly. Have to credit me for that.
Tom West

#10188 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,751 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 20:42

It was Macoran who posted the Hatton cutaways from the Cyril Posthumus Prophets without honour series, and I think he said at the time that he had posted all those that he had. He also posted a number of the Cavara 'Raggi X' drawings.

#10189 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 22:30

Peter,
i have your Ferrari Dino in my Guilio Betti file, but show it as a 246. Same thing with the engine in that location, but didn't bring it up to compare full sized. Would go with Guilio rather than Bruno on this one but that is what I am showing.
Thanks for the posts.
Tom West

The illustration is from Inside 100 Great Cars, pp.166-167. I am inclined to agree with you regarding to whom it should be attributed. Though neither Betti is listed in the picture credits, neither are pages 166-67 credited to any of the listed artists. Following is the blurb that accompanied the technical data - I don't know about you, but I can't distinguish body material from an illustration, nor can I determine engine capacity differences as small as those between a 206 and 246 v6.

A cutaway of the rare 206GT Dino; it differed from the 246 in having an alloy body and the 2-litre version of the v6. Visually it was virtually impossible to distinguish the 206 from the 246. When Fiat undertook production of the Dino v6 engine they used cast iron rather than alloy for their castings. The engine is from a Fiat Dino. So, unless I misunderstand the verbiage, though the page is captioned 1971 Ferrari Dino 246 GT, the cutaway is the actually of a 206 GT Dino and only the engine is of a 246.

On a separate note, No apology needed (except probably from me - I don't mean to add to your burden) - your significant contribution is greatly appreciated (and you're right, you do change your avatar frequently). I just like Cavara's work and can't find a reasonable copy of the book (especially since I vastly prefer digital copies - they are so much easier to view details).

Peter

Edited by simplebrother, 16 October 2011 - 22:36.

#10190 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 22:32

It was Macoran who posted the Hatton cutaways from the Cyril Posthumus Prophets without honour series, and I think he said at the time that he had posted all those that he had...

Thanks for the update, Tim, and Macoran for the postings.
If no more are available, then sad for us all...

Peter

#10191 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 22:43

On a separate note, No apology needed (except probably from me - I don't mean to add to your burden) - your significant contribution is greatly appreciated (and you're right, you do change your avatar frequently). I just like Cavara's work and can't find a reasonable copy of the book (especially since I vastly prefer digital copies - they are so much easier to view details).

Peter

Peter,
I just have this stuff here, so will try to start adding a few of them for you. The book is on pretty rough paper, so not the cleanest of printing. And, the copies are not all that good in some cases. Cavara's later style was much cleaner, it appeared, so those look much better, but the earlier pieces tend to be rather blocked in most of the time. Cleaner than those photocopies that I am using for my source for the Terry Davey Haynes manual covers, however. There is a file full of those that have not been scanned yet, but at least they are one-piece when scanned.
Tom West

#10192 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:22

Folks,
I have been following the Phoenix Drag Racing, the Sunday Football, and now the National League Playoffs, so not into the drawing today. So, you are going to get a couple of more out of the scan file. Don't get too excited, as the cars are not all that spectacular, although i am sure that someone must like these cars.
The first is the Haynes cover by Terry Davey on the 1980 Renault 12 of 1980.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10193 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:24

Our second car is another Terry Davey Haynes Manual cover, the Renault 18, also from 1980.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10194 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:29

We step back in time for a classic illustration by James H Clark, originally published in Flight in 1939. This was the first illustration of the Messerschmitt Bf 109E, and was part of a two-part article on the production of this historic craft. From what I have read, the illustration is not the most accurate, but considering the details that would have been available under the circumstances, it is probably closer than anyone else could have gotten. Clark was the lead illustrator for that classic group of artists, and was very knowledgeable to have gotten this close.
This publication of the Bf109E was in the July, 2010 issue of Aeroplane.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10195 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:33

This is a bit different from that pre-WW2 Messerschmitt, another classic Western Adversary ... the MiG-21MF Fishbed-J from 1973. The illustration from Mike Badrocke was from the November, 2007 issue of Air International.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10196 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 17:49

Here's something to get your teeth into, a Dental Unit by Len Huxter

Posted Image

#10197 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 23:54

Posted Image
Aston Martin DB2-4. Artist, R.E.Poulton.

#10198 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 23:55

Posted Image
Matra M530. Artist, 'After an original, probably by Roux'.

Edited by werks prototype, 23 October 2011 - 20:48.

#10199 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 23:58

Posted Image
Citro├źn engine. 1953. Artist, Max Millar.

Advertisement

#10200 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 00:09

Posted Image
Alpha twin. Artist, Lawrence Watts.

Posted Image
Villiers 122cc 10D. Artist, A.J.Fooks.

Posted Image
Villiers 4F with enclosed magneto and remote points. Artist unknown. (Probably Fooks. I regret the low definition, it remains a miracle of modern scanning though, the original being sub-postage stamp size.)

And a couple of links

http://www.debutart....1#/illustration

Two variations of the McLaren F1, amongst other themed cutaway works.

http://www.tprm-usa....ari_reszied.jpg

Not cutaway related, but nevertheless, interesting work in oil. (Another member of AFAS, Nicola Wood).