Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13379 replies to this topic

#10401 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:17

As I pointed out on page 202 I worked very close to Manfred at Jaguar in the Design Studio, he returned to Ford Germany in the late 90s then retired. He was very knowledgeable on Ferrari owning at least two.

I wonder then, if it is a case of Manfred Lampe illustrating some form of variation?

Between the three works, I have to say, I have certainly enjoyed exploring the sequence.

It is a little like looking for the 'full set' of a thing.

Between the Roux and the Lampe versions, am I reading too much into it to suggest that the Lampe version is un-liveried, has a touch more negative camber at the rear and that there are differences around the battery/housing area. Or has enthusiasm got the better of me yet again.

Edited by werks prototype, 18 November 2011 - 11:44.

Advertisement

#10402 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:28

Posted Image
Triumph Bonneville. 1962. Artist, Lawrence Watts.

#10403 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:28

Posted Image
Mercedes-Benz chassis. 1934. Artist, Max Millar.

Mercedes-Benz 130 (W23)?

#10404 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:10

Posted Image
Triumph Bonneville. 1962. Artist, Lawrence Watts.

As an illustration that looks very nice, but as a Technical Illustration, there are a few problems, mainly caused by the side-on view point. If you are not familiar with vertical twins - like me - it is a bit difficult to work out how it operates. I imagine there must be a second set of push-rods operating the RH (nearest) valves, but it is difficult to include them due to the angle of view. This is not criticism as such, just a comment.

#10405 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:25

As an illustration that looks very nice, but as a Technical Illustration, there are a few problems, mainly caused by the side-on view point. If you are not familiar with vertical twins - like me - it is a bit difficult to work out how it operates. I imagine there must be a second set of push-rods operating the RH (nearest) valves, but it is difficult to include them due to the angle of view. This is not criticism as such, just a comment.

Yes, I can see what you mean. I think it may be that, in this case the emphasis has been placed upon the installation of the unit rather than a full exposé of the parallel twin unit itself. Though I say that only in the context of the dedicated studies that we have seen previously of such units by Watts and others.

#10406 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:03

I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has been able to get into the Russian site in the last few days. They went "off-air" for me maybe three days ago, and it will just go to the unavailable window in my browser at the moment. I know that these things shut down every once in a while, and this site has done the same, but this seems like it has been a while now.
Anyone else able to get in there lately?
Thanks.
Tom West

#10407 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 15:44

I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has been able to get into the Russian site in the last few days. They went "off-air" for me maybe three days ago, and it will just go to the unavailable window in my browser at the moment. I know that these things shut down every once in a while, and this site has done the same, but this seems like it has been a while now.
Anyone else able to get in there lately?
Thanks.
Tom West

Tom, they are indeed "offline" very often, but the buggers are quick. a few hours after werks posted the Dick Ellis Lancia, it was up there.

#10408 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 15:51

Anything you might have Marc?
Glad to have you back with us again, by the way ... sorry I did not mention that before ...
Tom West

DB1 ....No. sorry I can't help here.
Somehow I seem to have run out of material, I thought I had more, but then the loft still isn't organised.

Thanks for the good wishes from everyone,it feels good not to tire just breathing !

#10409 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 18:21

today 2 porsche engine:
the flat 4 547,artist unknown
Posted Image
and the flat 6 911 from 1963,artist siegfried Werner
Posted Image

concerning the robert roux drawing of the ferrari 330p2,i agree with your analysis

#10410 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 20:43

Tom, they are indeed "offline" very often, but the buggers are quick. a few hours after werks posted the Dick Ellis Lancia, it was up there.

Marc,
Still no Joy in Cutawayskiland, it seems. I had noticed that Lancia going up there as I checked after downloading it myself. They must have a ton of material archived from this group yet, as I know there is a lot that has not been included yet on that site. They do bring out some nice stuff from the media boards from Audi, VW, Saab and the rest, so it is a good deal to have them around. But, this has been a few days now, the longest that I can remember them being down.
Maybe the Russian government shut it down to punish the West for their Capitolist imperialist sins against the freedom loving peoples of ... wait, that was a few years ago.
Sorry, rereading an old Tom Clancy book that brings back all of those thoughts from the past ...
Again, very glad to have you back here, content added or not. Sounds like you have a ton of stuff, if you can get to it. I brought four big boxes of old Air International/Enthusiasts over from storage, and just could not get to any others yet. Have not even started to scan any of those as I still have stuff from the later mags that never even made the storage boxes, so can't imagine how long it might take to dig through those. And, still have scans to clean here ... may do a couple of more today, just for practice again ...
Be well for the weekend, and going into or US Thanksgiving week. I will say that this group is one of the things that I am thankful for. A real treasure, thanks for the new material, the information, and the friendship to all of you.
Tom West

#10411 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 20:51

Shadow DN9B by Jean-Jacques François from "Grand Prix International" magazine poster.

Posted Image

#10412 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 20:56

Posted Image
Lancia Fulvia. Engine. Artist, Dick Ellis.

#10413 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 20:59

Posted Image
Rover 3.5. Artist, unknown

Posted Image
Ginatta G12. Artist, Bill Bennett. (Not a cutaway, but a cutaway artist)

#10414 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 21:09

Be well for the weekend, and going into or US Thanksgiving week. I will say that this group is one of the things that I am thankful for. A real treasure, thanks for the new material, the information, and the friendship to all of you.
Tom West

Happy Thanksgiving, Tom :up:

#10415 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 22:17

Not too much turkey, Tom!

#10416 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:15

Tony, I am not sure there is anything such as too much turkey .. have seen that limit stretched quite a way and not reached.
Thought I would thin down my scan files a bit, so did a few pieced together aircraft pieces that I had scanned.
We start with the English variant of the McDonnell Douglas F4K and F4M Phantom, illustrated by Mike Badrocke. This was in Air International, May of 2008 issue.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10417 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:19

The second piece for the evening is the NH Industries NH90TTH by MIke Badrocke. From the October, 2007 issue of Air International.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10418 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:22

The third piece for the evening is the upgraded version of the long-used Northrop F5E Tiger 2 fighter, as used by various Export markets. The Mike Badrocke illustration is out of the February 2008 issue of Air International.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10419 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:26

Fourth for the evening we have the Saab 32A Lansen fighter. This piece has been around previously, but this came out of the November, 2010 issue of Aeroplane Magazine. It is not signed and I have never seen attribution for the illustration shown anywhere with this piece.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#10420 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:29

This color piece by Mike Badrocke is the Saab JAS-39C Gripen fighter, as it appeared in an Air International Special insert issue in 2008. These are special promotional pieces that they include with various issues of the magazine on occasion. Cool stuff, if a bit too PR to be completely legitimate reportage. Still neat stuff in them, however.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10421 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 16:54

Having read an article in the Dutch magazine Onschatbare Klassieker I decided to hit my Google buttons
http://www.google.nl...9...sa=N&tab=wi
Has anyone ever seen this Pontiac for real somewhere ?

#10422 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:02

Wasn't this mentioned earlier in the thread? Perhaps it was a different thread... What's my name?

#10423 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:10

Wasn't this mentioned earlier in the thread? Perhaps it was a different thread... What's my name?

I don't remember either Tony, I don't see a mention in our house "bible" by Ibsen,
but then I am getting on

#10424 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,395 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:40

Wasn't this mentioned earlier in the thread?

It was indeed:

Transparent Pontiac
Transparent Pontiac

#10425 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 19:54

Posted Image
Excelsior, fan-cooled 147 cc, engine. Artist, Brian Hatton.

#10426 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 19:55

Posted Image
D.H. Ghost. Buried neatly inside a Long-chord wing. Artist unknown.

#10427 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 19:55

Posted Image
Lancia Lambda. Artist, F. Gordon-Crosby.

Posted Image
Lancia Lambda 'doodles'. Independent front suspension. Artist, Vincenzo Lancia.

Posted Image
Lancia Lambda. 1927. Front suspension. Artist, unknown.

#10428 Embers

Embers

• 141 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 21:24

Here are three examples of USAC “Indy” cars from the years 1977, 1984, and 1985. They were constructed by three different British racecar constructors, but all were powered by the same engine: the turbocharged Cosworth DFX V8.

Posted Image The first is a rather basic cutaway of the McLaren M24. The illustrator and, indeed, the source of this drawing are unknown to me. The drawing is annotated to point out the differences between a USAC car and the M23 Formula One car from which it was derived. The partial text, which had accompanied my copy of this drawing, leads me to believe that its source was also a British publication. Although a simple cutaway, this drawing well illustrates the engine installation. This car competed in the 1977 USAC racing series and Tom Sneva went on to win the ‘77 National Championship with this car/engine combination. While the Vel’s Parnelli Jones Team had pioneered the use of the DFX engine the previous year, this McLaren/Cosworth proved its worth. Although the drawing says the DFX was a 2.8 litre engine, and one can find Internet claims of 2.4 litres, the engine was a destroked DFV of 2.65 litres. The Ford/Cosworth DFX (notice the “Ford” branding on the cam cover) went on to win 153 races from 1976 through 1987.

Beautiful artistry! - I know my brother has been searching in vain for, what I believe, is one of your pieces. That being the 84C March IndyCar that was based upon the black, silver, red trim Galles/Coors Light/ Al Unser Jr. chassis from the 1984 season. His first IndyCar victory at Portland was that year in like colors. Please continue with the show.

Posted Image The next cutaway, the March 84C of David Kimble could hardly be more different in technique. At last “B Squared”s request has been answered. This image comes from the June 1984 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. Notice that the branding on the DFX cam cover now reads “Cosworth”.

Posted Image In 1985 Tony Matthews illustrated another DFX-powered Indy car, the Lola T900. This image comes from a May 23, 1985 story in Machine Design, discussing safety at the Indianapolis race. It also featured his illustration of the March 85C, from a similar perspective as Kimble’s , but my extraction of the pages from the magazine destroyed too much of the image to reconstruct.

#10429 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 22:10

Here are three examples of USAC “Indy” cars from the years 1977, 1984, and 1985. They were constructed by three different British racecar constructors, but all were powered by the same engine: the turbocharged Cosworth DFX V8.

INCREDIBLE !! after so many posts......still such exquisite material is being found !

#10430 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:08

Posted Image

I thought this had been posted years ago, but I can't find it, so here is an un-screened version of above.

#10431 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:50

INCREDIBLE !! after so many posts......still such exquisite material is being found !

Macoran I couldn't agree more!!

#10432 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,161 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 13:35

Posted Image The next cutaway, the March 84C of David. At last “B Squared”s request has been answered. This image comes from the June 1984 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. Notice that the branding on the DFX cam cover now reads “Cosworth”.

Embers - Thank you so much! We have still not found this, so now it should be fairly easy to find knowing the source of it. Regarding the Cosworth on the cam covers, I used to have possession of a set from this era that were labelled with the Ford emblem.

#10433 Embers

Embers

• 141 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:01

Embers - Thank you so much! We have still not found this, so now it should be fairly easy to find knowing the source of it. Regarding the Cosworth on the cam covers, I used to have possession of a set from this era that were labelled with the Ford emblem.

You are welcome! :) In addition to the referenced Hot Rod Magazine the cutaway also appears in the new book Cutaway - the Automotive Art of David Kimble, a rather more expensive source. The Hot Rod image is printed on a double page which can be extracted from the magazine with no staple holes.

#10434 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:36

Posted Image

March 85C in March colours. A pity, as I like to see cars in their racing livery, but the customer is always right, and this, the 84C and 85G where commisioned by March Engineering.

#10435 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:55

And in Yellow. Not the easiest colour to work with :)

#10436 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 18:03

Posted Image
D.H. Ghost. Buried neatly inside a Long-chord wing. Artist unknown.

Yes, in the de Havilland Comet I wing.
As we used to say, a propos of an opposition's aeroplane's engine breakaway incident, the Comet had engines buried in the wing and the 707's was buried in France.

#10437 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 18:09

March 85C in March colours. A pity, as I like to see cars in their racing livery, but the customer is always right, and this, the 84C and 85G where commisioned by March Engineering.

I like it a lot. My first thought was that it might be a development/prototype car, before reading the 'March Colours' declaration.

#10438 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 18:20

Posted Image
Villiers, pre-war, flat-top piston, engine. Artist, John Ferguson.

#10439 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 18:22

Yes, in the de Havilland Comet I wing.
As we used to say, a propos of an opposition's aeroplane's engine breakaway incident, the Comet had engines buried in the wing and the 707's was buried in France.

Edit: Actually, it has just dawned on me, I should delete that smiley, because I am not at all familiar with the incident. (Just in case what you are describing was more than just a change of structural-engineering or design-test philosophy, and actually involved a more serious crash.)

Edited by werks prototype, 22 November 2011 - 19:00.

Advertisement

#10440 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 20:29

I found a bit more detail on the new David Kimble book and thought you might like to see a list of the pieces that are in it ... as in the Index of the book. There are a lot of engine works here, but this is a nice selection of things, including a lot of his earliest color work out of Automobile Quarterly and the Petersen Automotive Group. A lot of good stuff here.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10441 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 20:31

There are three spreads showing out of the Kimble book. I combined the copy and the image into one page for you, just to make it easier, but this is a landscape format, with the illustrations being on a single page, so no gutters to worry about.
This is the combined image-copy from the Ferrari 250GTO that we have seen previously here.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10442 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 20:33

The second page spread sample showing from the Art of David Kimble is the Miller 91 Indy car out of the 30s.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10443 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 20:35

The third, and final, page spread for the Art of David Kimble is this Pontiac 389 V8 engine out of the 60s. A lot of good stuff in there, it appears.
Price is $99, so not cheap, but it is a limited edition of 1000 copies, all signed.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10444 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:29

opel (vauxhall) corsa by Lawrence Watts
Posted Image

#10445 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:13

Edit: Actually, it has just dawned on me, I should delete that smiley, because I am not at all familiar with the incident. (Just in case what you are describing was more than just a change of structural-engineering or design-test philosophy, and actually involved a more serious crash.)

Can't find a reference offhand but it was a non-catastrophic engine separation on a test-flight IIRC. Shouldn't have tried to be funny in this thread really.

#10446 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:26

Shouldn't have tried to be funny in this thread really.

No. Disgraceful behaviour...

#10447 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,580 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 14:18

Can't find a reference offhand but it was a non-catastrophic engine separation on a test-flight IIRC. Shouldn't have tried to be funny in this thread really.

Apologies if any offence caused. I was attempting to edit myself, rather than you, Allan. :up:

#10448 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 14:57

Allan, though this is not information on the test flight you refer to I thought you may be interested in the following. Approximately twelve years ago I was shown round the service area at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, they were servicing a 747 which involved a complete strip down of the airplane and I was shown into the wing interior where they pointed to three nuts each approx. 2" diameter that held the engine on to the wing. In 1992 an El Al flight lost an engine on take off from Schiphol which resulted in the plane crashing into a block of flats with many fatalities. Apparently only one spar fuse pin fixed the engine to the wing. After that incident there were three fixings to ensure it never happened again. If ever you have the opportunity to visit and witness the service/stripdown of a 747 it is the most amazing sight.

#10449 terrance trump

terrance trump

• 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 20:39

opel (vauxhall) corsa by Lawrence Watts
Posted Image

The original of this illustration is actually for sale on Ebay.

#10450 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 115 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 22:33

this just in from Storm's free car brochure site;
Autobianchi Primula - in house?
how much is another (- like innocenti too,) questionable development of an Issigonis masterpiece of design; even more straitened than the original product?
Posted Image

Edited by fnqvmuch, 23 November 2011 - 22:43.