Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13308 replies to this topic

#10451 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 22:53

And in Yellow. Not the easiest colour to work with :)

Absolutely Alan, I don't think I ever got it quite right, and I did a lot of yellow cars with the Pennzoil Penskes and Lola (singular I think, it may have been two). The problem is that getting the base yellow right is not always easy, then comes the question - what colour is yellow in the shadows? If you are not carefull you end up with brown or green. Or tangerine. Must be the approaching festive season that made me think of that. Or the fact that I've just eaten a couple, and very nice they were too. I may have a third...

Advertisement

#10452 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 23:03

I may have a third...

Go on !!

#10453 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 23:13

Just had.....two more. Made me feel quite frisky!

#10454 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,055 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:03

The original of this illustration is actually for sale on Ebay.

There is also a Betty(?) cutaway of the Vauxhall Nova for sale. Yellow Vauxhall Nova

#10455 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 17:21

There is also a Betty(?)

I don't think it is a Betti, I don't see cut glass

#10456 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 17:24

this just in from Storm's free car brochure site;
Autobianchi Primula - in house?
how much is another (- like innocenti too,) questionable development of an Issigonis masterpiece of design; even more straitened than the original product?
Posted Image

On which site is this up ? can we get a larger look at it ?
Can you give us a link ?

Edit to say I found it AND..............there is GREAT stuff there !!!!!!!

http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/

Edited by macoran, 24 November 2011 - 17:59.

#10457 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 18:24

I don't think it is a Betti, I don't see cut glass

I didn't think it was a Betti either, (the uncut glass is a good clue, Marc!) and it is a print, not an original.

Thanks for the link:-

#10458 alansart

alansart

• 4,007 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 19:08

AND..............there is GREAT stuff there !!!!!!!

What an amazing site. I had a quick look at the Rover section and I think I did the airflow side elevation here when I was at Industrial Artists in Hitchin. I did a few others including a few sections but they aren't included on the site.

The Rover work was all at short notice and IA got a Freelancer to colour up a line drawing cutaway of an engine. The poor guy worked all weekend and did a really good job. He delivered on time on monday morning and presented his invoice with the artwork. IA were known to be tight with money and I've never seen someone go so red so quickly when they questioned his bill. He grabbed the illustration and threatened to tear it up unless he was paid - which he was - as the meeting with the Rover people was about to start and they could hear what was going on. Strangely we didn't get any more Rover work after that - can't think why :rolleyes:

Edited by alansart, 24 November 2011 - 19:12.

#10459 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 20:20

Posted Image
Crusader. 248cc ohv four-speeder. Artist, Lawrence Watts.

Posted Image
Ariel 250cc twin. Artist, John Ferguson.

Advertisement

#10460 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 20:21

Posted Image
Renault Dauphine. Engine. Artist unknown.

Posted Image
Renault Dauphine. Artist, unknown.

#10461 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 112 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 20:54

On which site is this up ? can we get a larger look at it ?
Can you give us a link ?

Edit to say I found it AND..............there is GREAT stuff there !!!!!!!

sorry about that - shouldn't assume everyone else has found the sites we've found
therefore, another favourite spot for GREAT stuff along the same lines is to be found at;
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/index.html/
in particular;
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/broch2.html/

which you will enjoy - if you hadn't known about it before ...
i'm back to wondering about that landcrab with leafsprings

#10462 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 21:12

sorry about that - shouldn't assume everyone else has found the sites we've found
therefore, another favourite spot for GREAT stuff along the same lines is to be found at;
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/index.html/
in particular;
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/broch2.html/

which you will enjoy - if you hadn't known about it before ...
i'm back to wondering about that landcrab with leafsprings

Not working for me !

#10463 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 112 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 21:26

Not working for me !

Visit My Websitemaybe?

#10464 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 21:27

Try this.
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/broch2.html

#10465 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 112 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 21:38

Try this.
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/broch2.html

bingo!

#10466 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 00:08

What an amazing site. I had a quick look at the Rover section and I think I did the airflow side elevation here when I was at Industrial Artists in Hitchin. I did a few others including a few sections but they aren't included on the site.

The Rover work was all at short notice and IA got a Freelancer to colour up a line drawing cutaway of an engine. The poor guy worked all weekend and did a really good job. He delivered on time on monday morning and presented his invoice with the artwork. IA were known to be tight with money and I've never seen someone go so red so quickly when they questioned his bill. He grabbed the illustration and threatened to tear it up unless he was paid - which he was - as the meeting with the Rover people was about to start and they could hear what was going on. Strangely we didn't get any more Rover work after that - can't think why :rolleyes:

Great story, Alan, and always nice to see the name Hitchin mentioned on the thread, as it seems to been quite significant in Cutawayland.

#10467 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:03

nsu wankel engine by Schlenzig
Posted Image

#10468 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,055 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:43

I didn't think it was a Betti either, (the uncut glass is a good clue, Marc!) and it is a print, not an original.

Sorry I didn't pay attention to the uncut-glass and I didn't say it's an original.
The Betti brothers did lots of drawings for Opel, so who did usually work for Vauxhall then?

I found a few other things while I was searching around for that Nova.

A '56 Ford Thunderbird:
Posted Image

Another P-82 Twin-Mustang:
Posted Image

And at last a link to ZERO-X. For some reason the picture doesn't show in the post preview.

#10469 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 14:56

Sorry I didn't pay attention to the uncut-glass and I didn't say it's an original.

I wasn't critcising! The Twin Mustang illustration is terrific!

#10470 MEI

MEI

• 76 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:18

The third, and final, page spread for the Art of David Kimble is this Pontiac 389 V8 engine out of the 60s. A lot of good stuff in there, it appears.
Price is $99, so not cheap, but it is a limited edition of 1000 copies, all signed.
Tom West

Posted Image

I have bought a copy of the book, which has been safely delivered to the UK and is an excellent production. Alongside some of the text are enlarged sections of the original line drawings, which really show the stunning level of detail. Malcolm

#10471 Embers

Embers

• 141 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:37

Posted Image

This is the Reynard 95I by Tony Matthews. (That’s “ninety-five-eye”, not “nine-five-one”.) This illustration appeared as a “Racecar Profile” in Racecar Engineering magazine,Vol.4 No.2, and, also, in the May 1995 issue of Racer magazine. From Tony’s comments regarding the unattributed, generic version posted on page 200, it was also used in Valvoline advertizing. Why was this car important? The car was designed by Malcolm Oastler and won the 1995 Indy Car World Series Championship with Jacques Villeneuve. Winning a total of eight races, Reynard was also awarded the inaugural IndyCar Constructors Cup. I wonder if that award lasted any longer than the Reynard business, as IndyCar racing soon devolved into a spec series. The car illustrated was driven by Robby Gordon.

#10472 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:33

Why was this car important? The car was designed by Malcolm Oastler and won the 1995 Indy Car World Series Championship with Jacques Villeneuve. Winning a total of eight races, Reynard was also awarded the inaugural IndyCar Constructors Cup.

A car that is notable also, for providing an opportunity to dust off and use that rare, but wonderful word/term 'Shortitudinal'! :)

Posted Image
1989 F3000 Reynard 89D by JJ Francois.

Posted Image
A b&w version of the 89D.
Colour version, first posted by helioseism on page 163.

#10473 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:40

Posted Image

This is the Reynard 95I by Tony Matthews. (That’s “ninety-five-eye”, not “nine-five-one”.)

This is also the Reynard 95I by Tony Matthews, first seen in post#167, back in the mists of Time, and was used by Valvoline in their advertising as it was Valvoline who commissioned the illustration and paid for it...

Posted Image

#10474 alansart

alansart

• 4,007 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:47

A car that is notable also, for providing an opportunity to dust off and use that rare, but wonderful word/term 'Shortitudinal'! :)

Posted Image
A b&w version of the 89D.
Colour version, first posted by helioseism on page 163.

Nothing to do with Cutaways (and totally off topic) but the JJ Lehto, driver of the car pictured, is possibly about to be spending time in prison following a moment of madness connected to boats and alcohol!

#10475 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:56

I find it hard to believe that anyone from Finland would ever put a toe over the threshold of alcoholic excess.

#10476 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 21:18

I find it hard to believe that anyone from Finland would ever put a toe over the threshold of alcoholic excess.

Tony, I had that same thought. Not to stereotype anything here, but I would consider the pressure to be pretty tough for the Finnish, always being the historic buffer between the rest of Scandinavia and the "Evil Empire" ... or is that now the "Sort of Bad Empire" now? Plus, it is almost like being in the Arctic most of the year, and I can't believe that one would see a lot of bikini models around, so the pressure would build there, of course. I have never heard of the Finnish Bikini Team, have you? Just getting ready for a date with a reindeer must require throwing back a few ... at least for the reindeer.
Well, now that I have completely insulted my Finnish friends ... see my Facebook Friends list for all of those consonant-filled names that do not seem to be pronounceable.
Tom West

#10477 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 00:36

TNF Index update - page 260 - A, B and C parts

New Alphabetical Order (All hard work done by Peter "Simple Brother" - thank you!)

Edited by ibsenop, 26 November 2011 - 00:38.

#10478 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:53

New Alphabetical Order (All hard work done by Peter "Simple Brother" - thank you!)

I would like to thank you both. :up:

#10479 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:00

:up: Fabulous job !

Advertisement

#10480 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:00

I had a good look, and quickly acquired a headache, just thinking about the effort.
Thanks to you both. :up:

#10481 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,055 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:46

I thought about it when I looked if the Thunderbird and the Twin-Mustung were already posted or not.
Thanks a lot this is awesome and makes searching so much easier for everybody. :up: :up: :up:

#10482 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:49

A heroic effort, many thanks!

#10483 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,055 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 13:18

Just bumped into one we haven't seen here yet:
Posted Image
I wonder under what that will show up in the index???

#10484 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 14:36

I wonder under what that will show up in the index???

TNF Index update again - page 260 - C part

MISCELLANEOUS
Lego Man by Freeny (?) - page 263

Edited by ibsenop, 26 November 2011 - 14:37.

#10485 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 16:08

ferrari 250gt page 205 is by Franco Rosso ,not Betti

#10486 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 17:50

Have you got these Lotus Europas yet?

http://fuckyeahlotus...ase-of-the-type

#10487 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 22:34

ferrari 250gt page 205 is by Franco Rosso ,not Betti

Ok! Corrected. Thanks!

Edited by ibsenop, 26 November 2011 - 22:34.

#10488 Embers

Embers

• 141 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:16

With all the attention David Kimble is getting because of the publication of his book, Cutaways, I am reminded that he got his first break when Sports Car Graphic featured his story about new cars for the 1965 USAC season in its May 1965 issue. The article was illustrated with his first two automotive cutaways. One of those, the Halibrand Shrike, has been posted to this forum, twice, on pages 75 and 252, with two separate listings in the index. I don’t think that his other illustration has been posted.
Posted Image
This car was known during its early USAC racing as the Harrison Special. As with the sports racing Harrison Special that has previously been posted, it was designed and built by Jerry Eisert. Logically, then, they should be called Eiserts, this one, specifically, the 1964 Eisert Indy Car, the other one a 1963 Eisert sports racer. (This is similar to calling a car a Lotus 76 rather than a John Player Special II.) Although Kimble was discussing various chassis for the 1965 racing season, his illustration was of the ’64 Eisert tube-framed car rather than the stressed-skin ’65 version then under construction.

So what about this car? It raced twice in early ’65 before failing to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 with a rookie driver. Another race after that before it passed into other hands and, again, DNQ’d for the ’66 500 as an Arciero Special. Just proving that old racecars never die, the car still exists in a car collection near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and appeared at the 2009 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

#10489 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:20

All of the heavy lifting was, and still is, done by Ibsen... all I did was put his existing entries into alphabetic order so I could find things. As I have demonstrated by past duplicate postings, I too easily overlooked entries before - this was but an attempt to stop embarrassing myself.
Peter

#10490 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:46

Have you got these Lotus Europas yet?

http://fuckyeahlotus...ase-of-the-type

Good find. We haven't seen the BH (presumably Brian Hatton) version yet, and though the Shin Yoshikawa example was originally posted on p207 (post 8247), the image has for some reason disappeared - it is reposted below because of its larger size. The Theo Page image was posted on p207 (post 8288) in a slightly larger format, but without the frame and suspension detail.
Posted Image

Peter

#10491 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:59

This car was known during its early USAC racing as the Harrison Special. As with the sports racing Harrison Special that has previously been posted, it was designed and built by Jerry Eisert. Logically, then, they should be called Eiserts, this one, specifically, the 1964 Eisert Indy Car, the other one a 1963 Eisert sports racer. (This is similar to calling a car a Lotus 76 rather than a John Player Special II.) Although Kimble was discussing various chassis for the 1965 racing season, his illustration was of the ’64 Eisert tube-framed car rather than the stressed-skin ’65 version then under construction.

Ok! Index corrected. Thanks!

#10492 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 22:50

Posted Image
Lancia Flavia. Rear suspension system. Artist, Dick Ellis.

Posted Image
Lancia Flavia. Engine and transmission. Artist, Dick Ellis.

#10493 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 22:50

Posted Image
PW305. Direct-drive front fan. Artist, Pratt & Whitney Canada.

#10494 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 22:51

Posted Image
Cyc-Auto. Engine and transmission. (Worm and wheel reduction gear). Artist unknown.

#10495 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:29

I thought that I would add a few more of the Haynes pieces to the group collection this evening. Can't say that these are my favorites, and the copies were not all htat great ... think that the covers were not printed all that well so I am not overly happy with the results here.
The first is Terry Davey's illustration of the Subaru 1600 from 1980.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10496 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:32

This is another Haynes cover for the Toyota Celica of 1979 by Terry Davey.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10497 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:33

We now have another version of the Toyota Celica Supra sort of the upgraded version of the Celica coupe. This Terry Davey cover for Haynes was a 1980 model.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10498 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:34

We have another Toyota from Terry Davey, this being the 1980 Cressida Sedan.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10499 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:36

This is another Haynes cover from Terry Davey, the Triumph TR7 from 1979.
Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#10500 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:39

I am not sure where this one came from, but it was a smaller piece from a magazine, I know that. This is a John Ferguson piece on the Triumph TR4 of 1965.
Tom West

Posted ImageI