Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13349 replies to this topic

#10601 DOHC

DOHC

• 11,860 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 17:54

One must surely be a professional to see any flaws... As always, a most consistent and beautiful contribution, Tony. I really like it when style and quality "gel".

Advertisement

#10602 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 18:51

I couldn't get rid of the slight yellow caste, I'm afraid, but I have lost all the background.

No matter Tony ! I never knew this cutaway existed !!!
How many more secrets have you kept hidden ?

#10603 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,530 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 19:24

No matter Tony ! I never knew this cutaway existed !!!

I have a copy of this, included in a book. (I can't remember which right now). But it appeared in the form of the old dreaded double page spread, complete with a great and deep trough down the centre.

I've never seen it at this level of clarity!

#10604 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,530 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 19:27

Posted Image
1908 Itala. Engine detail. Artist, L.C.Cresswell.

Posted Image
1911 Fiat. Clutch and flywheel detail. Chain final drive. Artist, L.C.Cresswell.

Posted Image
1911 Fiat. Front suspension and steering. Gearbox. Artist, L.C.Cresswell.

#10605 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,530 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 19:29

Posted Image
Ginetta G4R. Racing IRS set-up. Artist, unknown.

Posted Image
Ginetta G21, 3-litre, Ginetta designed rear suspension set-up. Artist, Bill Bennett.

Posted Image
Ginetta G26 Sports Saloon. Artist, unknown.

#10606 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 20:02

One must surely be a professional to see any flaws... As always, a most consistent and beautiful contribution, Tony. I really like it when style and quality "gel".

Thanks DOHC, kind words.

#10607 Embers

Embers

• 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:52

My thanks, Tony, for posting the high-resolution image of the Tyrrell 022.

On to another subject: The index lists the Oldsmobile Aurora V8 engine cutaway by Tom Quinlan on page 98, but, for some reason, the image no longer appears. For those with an interest in engine architecture and racing engine history, I am going to repost it:
Posted Image
This engine was used by the Indy Racing League (IRL). It was originally developed in 1995 from a production-based double overhead cam (DOHC) Oldsmobile engine for the IMSA GTS-1 class in 4.5 liter form. This particular version is shown in the unattributed black-and-white partial cutaway:
Posted Image
It was then adopted by the IRL after it separated from CART in an attempt to provide a lower-cost racing series. As required by IRL rules, it was reduced in capacity to 4 liters and was originally priced at about $80,000. Its configuration used four valves per cylinder operated by chain-driven camshafts. On methanol fuel it developed about 700 horsepower at a mandated limit of 10,500 rpm. It was an extraordinarily successful IRL engine during the period 1997-2001. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the GM division that produced it, Oldsmobile. The engine was rebadged as a Chevrolet in 2002, and, by the next year, was having a hard time competing with the better-financed Toyota and Honda engine programs.

#10608 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,530 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 13:09

Posted Image
Triumph 3TA, Twenty-One. 1957. Artist, Lawrence Watts.

#10609 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,530 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 13:12

Posted Image
Sylva Star. Artist, unknown. Watkinson/Wilkinson? Signature beneath the stipple.

#10610 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 13:18

'Watkinson' looks pretty close, werks.

#10611 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 18:57

Tecno F2 1970 by Giuliano Laurenti

Posted Image

#10612 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 19:30

Unfortunately you are limited to very few viewpoints if you want to show deatail at both ends and the middle!

#10613 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 19:40

Unfortunately you are limited to very few viewpoints if you want to show deatail at both ends and the middle!

Like almost none that allow for everything to show the complete details. I am not sure that I have ever done an illustration where I was completely happy that everything was described completely. Generally, you pick a view that shows the character of the car, as you see it at the moment, and build from there. Since I build this stuff from the outside in based on photos, I will take a little while to walk around the car and figure out my preference, but I also talk with the owner or builder (almost all of my stuff being hot rod, custom build subjects_) and get their view on what the most interesting features are. Then, you just have to go for it and hope it shows something of interest to everyone after it is finished.
Personally, I have always appreciated what you (Tony) were able to do with all of the Formula and Indy cars. That high angle that you always used was about the best that I could picture for this kind of car.
Tom West

#10614 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 20:06

Like almost none that allow for everything to show the complete details. I am not sure that I have ever done an illustration where I was completely happy that everything was described completely. Generally, you pick a view that shows the character of the car, as you see it at the moment, and build from there. Since I build this stuff from the outside in based on photos, I will take a little while to walk around the car and figure out my preference, but I also talk with the owner or builder (almost all of my stuff being hot rod, custom build subjects_) and get their view on what the most interesting features are. Then, you just have to go for it and hope it shows something of interest to everyone after it is finished.
Personally, I have always appreciated what you (Tony) were able to do with all of the Formula and Indy cars. That high angle that you always used was about the best that I could picture for this kind of car.
Tom West

Exactly, Tom. Sometimes a client would specify a certain view, or ask for one specific area to be featured, in which case one would do one's best. Given carte blanche (just to introduce a little sophistication) I would try to show everything - but not cut away engines and gearboxes in the chassis, to me it complicates the illustration, especially when they are reproduced 1/4 page or less - which is why so many of my cutaways were done from a similar veiwpoint. I adopted a variation later, with several CART cars done from a more head-on view, but then the construction of the tub, bulkheads, front suspension and ant-roll bar set ups was probably the biggest difference between constructors, and what changed most year on year.

The other points to remember were the legibility and accuracy of the sponsors logos, and the view of the real cars that the average fans might have. If you see a car on the track, then open the race programme and see a cutaway from a similar angle perhaps it makes more sense. Perhaps I was being too tricksy, but I used to put a fair amount of thought into these things... As for the logos, any innacuracy in the technical details would only noticed by a few , but an error in the logo department and their would be Hell to pay!

#10615 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 23:30

I was about to type "shame it's not a Matthews", but I think we have had a generous share of your art. I will never tire to look at it.

Just noticed your kind comments, Regga, thanks! As it is I only did two F2 cars, but I thought F2 was a superb series, and the cars were great.

#10616 Macca

Macca

• 3,322 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:37

MG EX135 by L Ashwell Wood already posted on page 235.

Messerschmitt Me 262 and Bachem BA.349 Natter by Alex Pang, it was the Natter that caught my attention, although it never saw active service there were seven manned flights.......wonder if it was the same man?.

It seems that 4 of the 6 manned flights were unpowered and towed behind an He-111, and one free flight as a glider; then there were some unmanned vertical rocket launches, and the sixth manned flight was a vertical rocket launch which unfortunately resulted in the death of the pilot (not the same one who had done the towed and gliding flights).

Paul M

#10617 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:41

Thanks Paul, One hell of a man to sit atop that thing.

#10618 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 18:01

Thanks Paul, One hell of a man to sit atop that thing.

Yes, and he was probably Jewish ... ... ...
Sorry, we were all thinkin' it, I'm just sayin' it ...

My ex-wife would have laughed at that, and she is Jewish ... I paid for the right to joke about this stuff.

Was that too apologetic?
Tom West

#10619 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,530 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 20:26

Posted Image
Ferrari 126 C4? (I have as much trouble identifying correctly all those '126 C' variations as I do the F1-86, 7's etc). Artist, P. D. Alessio.

Posted Image
Excelsior Talisman Twin. Artist, unknown.

Advertisement

#10620 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 22:06

Posted Image
Excelsior Talisman Twin. Artist, unknown.

main chain drive in for replacement soon, saw tooth effect setting in !

#10621 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 73 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 14:52

Hi there gents, long time since I have been here. Latest work can be seen via link in signature, BTCC Proton from this year, side profile at the moment but working on a ¾ view external and later on ghosted body work of same car. Initial ¾ view can be seen Welch Motorsport.

Also a few more of the big F1 BRISCA stockcars and a National Hotrod #27.

But for now still working for MoD on basic technical illustrations. Pays the bills..

Merry Christmas to you all.

#10622 Embers

Embers

• 141 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 16:34

In paging through this forum, one would think that the old Sports Car Graphic magazine had been pretty thoroughly mined for cutaway illustrations, but here are two more from Gordon Bruce. (Technically one could argue that these aren’t cutaways, since nothing is shown cutaway, but rather represented by phantom views of the bodies and tires. They do give a good representation of the location of the internal components. These illustrations retain the colored backgrounds that the magazine , somewhat annoyingly, used with its cutaways at that time.)

The first, from the June 1963 issue, is the Cooper T65 Formula Junior incorporating the BMC Hydrolastic suspension system.Posted ImageThis can be compared with the illustration of Theo Page from a similar perspective, page 169, post 6475.
The second, from the October 1964 issue, is the Cooper T72 Formula 3 car. Posted Image
From this illustration we can see that the Hydrolasic suspension was not continued, as the front suspension now features rocker-operated inboard coilovers, just like Cooper’s contemporary Formula 1 car. For those wishing to compare the progression of Cooper designs and Gordon Bruce’s work, I would refer to the 1962 Cooper-Climax Formula 1 car, which has been posted as #5668, page 142, and appeared in the January 1963 issue of SCG.

Edited by Embers, 13 December 2011 - 19:25.

#10623 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,068 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 18:18

Webfind! Not sure if this classifies as a cutaway. It's nice anyway.
McLaren MP4-5B
Posted Image

#10624 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 19:07

The second, from the October 1964 issue, is the Cooper T72 Formula 3 car. Posted Image

There appears to be a dead link on that second illustration. Just thought you might like to resend.
Thanks.
Tom West

#10625 Embers

Embers

• 141 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 19:26

There appears to be a dead link on that second illustration. Just thought you might like to resend.

Thanks, Tom. Try it now.

#10626 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 19:38

Webfind! Not sure if this classifies as a cutaway. It's nice anyway.
McLaren MP4-5B
Posted Image

I quite like that as it's different. Not much perspective, but who cares :)

#10627 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 20:34

Did the Cooper have Hydrolastic on both ends, or just the front? I have not checked Autosport/Cooper Cars etc for details. It would be interesting to consider who used it first, Cooper or Ausper on their FJ.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 13 December 2011 - 20:36.

#10628 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 20:45

Thanks, Tom. Try it now.

Thank-you for getting that link activated for everyone.
Actually, I had already gotten it when I was over in Image Shack ... next image in your collection ...
Just thought it would be good to have it for the continuity of the group and the Index.
Actually, I am not sure why I did not have those two images from SCG, maybe I missed those issues somehow, or they are still in the box to do.
Not like there isn't enough other stuff scanned, and I have another pile of a couple of years worth of Air International sitting here, along with the Cavara book to complete.
Maybe i should finally consider myself to be retired and stop trying to actually do other serious things here and get this stuff done ...
Tom West

#10629 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 22:47

Did the Cooper have Hydrolastic on both ends, or just the front? I have not checked Autosport/Cooper Cars etc for details. It would be interesting to consider who used it first, Cooper or Ausper on their FJ.
Roger Lund

All I have found for now Roger
http://www.formulaju...cooper_t67.html

#10630 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 23:31

Marc, many thanks. In Cooper Cars DCN says the front and rear were interconnected with narrow pipes, and it also had anti dive and anti squat built in, which served to make the car feel strange, and the car never raced. That was 1963. The Ausper T4 was a 1962 car but used the cones from the Mini, not Hydrolastic units.
BTW the engines on the T4 were inclined at 75 degrees or 15 degrees depending on engine spec. A period report suggested that it handled well.

BTW, and off thread, was the Ausper the only car to use the very heavily canted Cosworth engine, 75 degrees , reputedly a design for Lotus who considered it potentially problematic for installation and development?. One car had Colotti Francis internals in a Renault case. I know from the owner at the Revival that a reputedly huge sum was spent on sorting oil circulation and reliability in the US when it was restored.
RL

Edited by bradbury west, 14 December 2011 - 00:20.

#10631 themark

themark

• 442 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:46

This image recently came to light again, and I searched this forum for a posting but found nothing. Can anyone tell me who did this? It's the Auto Union Type 52

Posted Image

Full-size scan here:
http://iedei.files.w...1936_plans.jpeg
Article here:
http://iedei.wordpre...pe-52-supercar/

#10632 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:26

This image recently came to light again, and I searched this forum for a posting but found nothing. Can anyone tell me who did this? It's the Auto Union Type 52

Posted Image

As part of the article on the P52, there was the following paragraph ...

The following artwork was commissioned by Classic and Sportscar (1984) and is by technical artist Brian Nation to attempt to recreate what a full plan of the Type 52 would have looked like if they had continued with the plan:

I have seen this illustration previously, and have found it very interesting to consider. The Auto Union has to be among my all-time favorite automobiles of any type, so seeing this kind of car being built would have just made the appeal stronger.
List Brian Nation as the creator of the artwork for Classic and Supercar, 1984.
Tom West

#10633 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:45

On that Auto Union P52, I have another image in my digital files for the same drawing, but it was then attributed to J. Walkden Fisher. There is an illustration of the Grand Prix Auto Union that is pretty much the same style, and has the Fish logo that Fisher used as his signature on the GP car. This article was pretty definitive about it being from Brian Nation, but I would have to question that after looking at the other file of the same illustration.
Anyone have any specific thoughts on this?
Tom West

Edited by TWest, 14 December 2011 - 03:46.

#10634 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:32

Forgive the probably stupid question (I don't have a technical background), but what are the smaller-diametre tubes attached to the roll bar structure behind the cockpit for (those only reaching half-way around)? And how are they attached - it can't be tape surely?

#10635 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:35

The Robert Roux day:Lancia Nardi F2
Posted Image

#10636 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:37

Forgive the probably stupid question (I don't have a technical background), but what are the smaller-diametre tubes attached to the roll bar structure behind the cockpit for (those only reaching half-way around)? And how are they attached - it can't be tape surely?

They look like breather pipes. Possibly from the fuel/oil tanks.

#10637 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:46

volvo amazon
Posted Image

#10638 themark

themark

• 442 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:58

As part of the article on the P52, there was the following paragraph ...

The following artwork was commissioned by Classic and Sportscar (1984) and is by technical artist Brian Nation...

I should read my own source material! Thanks for that.
Although this cleaned-up scan is well done, I would really like to see this image without the obverse page bleeding through.

#10639 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:55

Full-size scan here:
http://iedei.files.w...1936_plans.jpeg
Article here:
http://iedei.wordpre...pe-52-supercar/

The car is listed as "Auto Union P Wagen by artist unknown - page 44-45"
Posted by Seasalt (post #1754) with heavy crease mark and posted by Macoran (post #1768) retouched.
The site "eidei" shows the same "Macoran" retouched version (not a new scan).

Advertisement

#10640 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 13:04

They look like breather pipes. Possibly from the fuel/oil tanks.

thanks - that would make sense

#10641 terrance trump

terrance trump

• 30 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 13:24

volvo amazon
Posted Image

I have recently been having a tidy in my garage and came across some old auction catalogues. One Bonhams catalogue in particular for the Historic Festival at Silverstone, contained some lots of original Autocar and Motor archive drawings. They were quite small in the catalogue but I have scanned them and hope they will be of interest to fellow technical illustration fans. The Cooper-Bristol was about 4 by 3 inches. :rotfl: The first is by Max Millar, produced in January 1937 for The Autocar magazine and is of an Alta 1.5 or 2 litre. It is described as being in pen and ink on board with hints of high lighting. Applied Autocar Copyright ovoid and blue crayon and vehicle title in red and Jan 15/37. Verso manuscript pencil and rubber stamp for IPC dated 1973. 21 x 14 inches. Signed, some soiling and corner damage, unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150
Posted Image
By rancethebus at 2011-12-14
The second by Lofthouse is a Cooper-Bristol single seat racing car. A three-quarter rear view cut-away vehicle depiction by R Wood. Pen and ink on card. Manuscript red pen "No Dot Tint" and Cooper Bristol in pencil. There are four rubber stampings verso for Motor Editorial Department and IPC Business Press Copyright dated 1953 and 1973. Also an applied typed label "The Motor Manual 35th Edition and other text. 21 x 13 inches. Signed. Some surface soilingUnmounted. The estimate was £100 - £150.
Posted Image
The third one is a Lotus 15 Coventry-Climax. It is described as an overhead cut-away view vehicle depiction by Lofyhouse. Pen and ink on card with white high lighting. Manuscript blue pen to front, Lotus Mk15 M??? 1958, an applied Motor Copyright label and other pencil marks. Verso, rubber stampings "18 June 1958 The Motor" and "2 Apr 1958"other ink script. 19 x 11 inches. Signed some soiling, unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150.
Posted Image
The lat one is of an HWM single seater racing car. It is described as ahre-quarter rear cut-away vehicle depiction by Lofthouse. Pen and ink on card with white high-lighting. Manuscript pencil text to the front "1951 HWM racing car" text to the rear and the date "Feb 7 1951 Page 16 Motor. 18 x 16 inches. Some surface rubbing and discolouration. Unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150.
Posted Image

There will be more to follow when I have scanned them. There were around 100o in total in five different auctions.

#10642 terrance trump

terrance trump

• 30 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 14:56

I have recently been having a tidy in my garage and came across some old auction catalogues. One Bonhams catalogue in particular for the Historic Festival at Silverstone, contained some lots of original Autocar and Motor archive drawings. They were quite small in the catalogue but I have scanned them and hope they will be of interest to fellow technical illustration fans. The Cooper-Bristol was about 4 by 3 inches. :rotfl: The first is by Max Millar, produced in January 1937 for The Autocar magazine and is of an Alta 1.5 or 2 litre. It is described as being in pen and ink on board with hints of high lighting. Applied Autocar Copyright ovoid and blue crayon and vehicle title in red and Jan 15/37. Verso manuscript pencil and rubber stamp for IPC dated 1973. 21 x 14 inches. Signed, some soiling and corner damage, unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150
Posted Image
The second by Lofthouse is a Cooper-Bristol single seat racing car. A three-quarter rear view cut-away vehicle depiction by R Wood. Pen and ink on card. Manuscript red pen "No Dot Tint" and Cooper Bristol in pencil. There are four rubber stampings verso for Motor Editorial Department and IPC Business Press Copyright dated 1953 and 1973. Also an applied typed label "The Motor Manual 35th Edition and other text. 21 x 13 inches. Signed. Some surface soilingUnmounted. The estimate was £100 - £150.
Posted Image
The third one is a Lotus 15 Coventry-Climax. It is described as an overhead cut-away view vehicle depiction by Lofyhouse. Pen and ink on card with white high lighting. Manuscript blue pen to front, Lotus Mk15 M??? 1958, an applied Motor Copyright label and other pencil marks. Verso, rubber stampings "18 June 1958 The Motor" and "2 Apr 1958"other ink script. 19 x 11 inches. Signed some soiling, unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150.
Posted Image
The last one is of an HWM single seater racing car. It is described as a three-quarter rear cut-away vehicle depiction by Lofthouse. Pen and ink on card with white high-lighting. Manuscript pencil text to the front "1951 HWM racing car" text to the rear and the date "Feb 7 1951 Page 16 Motor. 18 x 16 inches. Some surface rubbing and discolouration. Unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150.
Posted Image

There will be more to follow when I have scanned them. There were around 1000 in total in five different auctions.

Added some more while still in the mood.
The first is another HWM this time by Vic Berris. It is described as a three-quarter overhead cut-away depiction by V.R. Berris. Pen and ink on board. Apllied Autocar Copyright ovoid, blue pen manuscript "H.W.M. 2 litre" and pencil "22/2/52". Verso, rubber stampings for the Autocar dated as above and an IPC date of 28-2-73 14 x 15 inches. Signed, some soiling and corner fold damage. Unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150.
Posted Image
The second is by Mike Badrocke of the Porsche 917. Is described as a three-quarter side view cut-away depiction by Michael A Badrocke MSIA. Pen and ink on board with hints of white high lights. Applied Autocar Copyright label, Autocar rubber stamp to the top left corner and the date "20 Aug 1970". Verso, five rubber stampings for IPC and Autocar that include dates for 1970, 1972 and 1974. 27 x 13 inches. Signed, some soling. Unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150.
Posted Image
The nextnext is the Matra MS84 by Dick Ellis. It is described as an overhead side view cut-away depiction of the vehicle by Dick Ellis. Pen and ink on board with hints of white high lights. On the reverse arethree rubber stampings by both The Autocar and IPC, dates include "Aug 17 1969, 6/8/69 and 15-3-74". 21 x 11 inches. Signed, some Sellotape staining but not covering the image, unmounted. £100 - £150.
Posted Image
The next is the Jaguar D-Type. Described as a three-quarter side view cut-away depiction of the revolutionary spaceframe and body of this, placed second, 1954 Le Mans entry. Pen and ink on thick GW card. Applied Motor Copyright label and "Motor April 1958" rubberstamp together with manuscript in pen "1954 Le Mans Jaguar" recto. On the rear, various manuscript additions and a "Charge to Book Department" affixed label for "TP Ltd". Artist unknown, some inked thumb, staining. 20 x 13 inches. Unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150.
Posted Image
Next another Cooper. The Cooper Formula II. Described as a three-quarter and overhead cut-away vehicle depiction of the racing car by Brian Hatton. Pen and ink on thick card. Manuscript wording on the lower right corner, verso an applied printed label "Return to Art Department for Filing" also a Motor 9 Jan 57, rubber stamp and over doodles. Signed. 18 x 14 inches, a little soiling. Unmounted.
Posted Image
Next we have an engine. The ASTON Martin DBR1 - 3 litre. A front-end cut-away depiction of the six cylinder engine by R.E. Poulton. Pen and ink on art board
at 2011-12-14. Pencil title and measurement on the front with four Autocar and IPC rubber stamps verso and encompassing the dates, "15/3/57, 4/12/67 and 17 Dec 1973". Signed. 21 x 15 inches, some soliling. Unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150.
Posted Image
The last one in this stint is Tyrrell F1 1973. A three-quarter front view cut-away depiction of the racing car by Brian Hatton. Pen and ink with shading on art board. Applied label "Motor Copyright" and pencil notations to the lower right corner. The rear possesses two IPC rubber stampings dated "22nd August 73" and "2-7-74". Signed. 21 x 17inches, generally clean. Unmounted.
Posted Image
I will post some more when they have been scanned.

#10643 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,285 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:16

The last one in this stint is Tyrrell F1 1973. A three-quarter front view cut-away depiction of the racing car by Brian Hatton. Pen and ink with shading on art board. Applied label "Motor Copyright" and pencil notations to the lower right corner. The rear possesses two IPC rubber stampings dated "22nd August 73" and "2-7-74". Signed. 21 x 17inches, generally clean. Unmounted.
Posted Image

This is the fascinating Tyrrell design concept which never came to fruition. It's posted here on page 224 of this thread and discussed in subsequent posts. It's also got its own thread:

The Tyrrell that never raced...

One of the great might-have-beens ...

#10644 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,530 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:20

Added some more while still in the mood.
I will post some more when they have been scanned.

Really interesting stuff :up:

Not least in terms of what is out there, what work has been done.

#10645 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,530 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 16:03

Posted Image
Proposed Connaught C, or J3 type. Artist, Redmill.

#10646 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 16:19

Next we have an engine. The ASTON Martin DBR1 - 3 litre. A front-end cut-away depiction of the six cylinder engine by R.E. Poulton. Pen and ink on art board
at 2011-12-14. Pencil title and measurement on the front with four Autocar and IPC rubber stamps verso and encompassing the dates, "15/3/57, 4/12/67 and 17 Dec 1973". Signed. 21 x 15 inches, some soliling. Unmounted. Estimate £100 - £150.

Hi Terrance Old Chap (if you don't mind the informality!) are these the biggest you can do? I realize that the originals are tiny, but it's a bit frustrating to click on them and... and... nothing! All very nice though, and thanks. I just wanted a closer look at the engine.

#10647 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 17:05

List Brian Nation as the creator of the artwork for Classic and Supercar, 1984.
Tom West

This has been discussed before, just a case of somebody not being able to correctly decypher Brian Hatton's signature

It is surely by his hand.
Look back at my posts of the Cyril Posthumus series "Prophets without honour" and "Non Conformists"
with drawings by Hatton.

Hatton's style in these series I call "loose artistic" whereas his real technical stuff is much tighter and solid of line and colour.

Edited by macoran, 14 December 2011 - 17:11.

#10648 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,530 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 18:01

Look back at my posts of the Cyril Posthumus series "Prophets without honour" and "Non Conformists"
with drawings by Hatton.

That is one of the best series we have had. :up:

(I still secretly hope that more of that ilk will one day surface)

#10649 terrance trump

terrance trump

• 30 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 19:07

Hi Terrance Old Chap (if you don't mind the informality!) are these the biggest you can do? I realize that the originals are tiny, but it's a bit frustrating to click on them and... and... nothing! All very nice though, and thanks. I just wanted a closer look at the engine.

For Tony and anyone else that is interested, here is the engine slightly larger. Enjoy.
Posted Image

#10650 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 19:18

Thanks - pictorially very nice, but as a cutaway, the usual problems with extreme viewpoints, there is a limit to what can be show. I like it though.