Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13438 replies to this topic

#10801 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 22:23

I'm fine now, thanks Embers, back on my hind legs and fit as a flea. Scanning the Bennetts is not that straight forward, as I don't seem to be that clever at joining with what software that I have, but I'll have a go. At the moment everything is in chaos as I'm fitting out my loft as storage - new folding wooden loft ladder, strengthened joists, insulation, studwork half-walls, lighting, etc., as I'm overflowing with cutaways and photographs. When I get that little lot sorted I should be able to find the scanner...

Advertisement

#10802 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:09

porsche 959 by Giulio Betti
Posted Image

#10803 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:14

Good to hear you're feeling better Tony. Embers, there's a weird thing about that Lotus. I think the wheels are not quite as distorted by the perspective as i'd expect them to be. The near wheels look a tad small - is it just me?

#10804 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,095 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:40

Good to hear you're feeling better Tony. Embers, there's a weird thing about that Lotus. I think the wheels are not quite as distorted by the perspective as i'd expect them to be. The near wheels look a tad small - is it just me?

It's not just you. I also think that the wheels in the background/on the right of the car are wider the the ones on the left.
The whole car also looks a little bent or twisted.

#10805 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 14:14

I think I might have found a couple of new ones. First an Alfa Disco Volante by Ouchi (I've checked the index but I bet someone points out that I missed it)...

http://www.motor--sp...o-disco-volante

(also if you click on the cutaways link you get taken to a massive tumblr of images - most of them probably from here - but there may be some new stuff)

Lastly there's this nice anonymous Panhard CD...

http://1.bp.blogspot...cd_64_small.JPG

#10806 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 18:31

It's not just you. I also think that the wheels in the background/on the right of the car are wider the the ones on the left.
The whole car also looks a little bent or twisted.

The tread on the LH tyres is wider than their opposite numbers on the drawing, and don't forget it was 4WD, so the front and rear wheels and tyres would have been the same size, or very near. We are so used to seeing competition cars with rears bigger than the fronts that anything else tends to look odd...

#10807 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:39

a solar car:the spirit of Biel 1991 by Franco Rosso
Posted Image

#10808 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 217 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 00:08

Hi all,

I want to bring to your attention a series currently running on design blog Core77 called 'Masters of the Cutaway'

Part 1: Hans Jenssen
Part 2: Frank Soltesz & L. Ashwell Wood
Part 3: Yoshohiro Inomoto
Part 4: Stephen Biesty
Part 5: Graham Bleathman
Part 6: Christopher & Matt Cushman
Part 7: Richard Chasemore
Part 8: The Das Brothers & Roger Stewart
Part 9: Kevin Hulsey's and Steven Howard's Process

Hat-tip to another interesting site for the link: Technical Illustrators .org

I think Part 10 should belong to Mr. Matthews and will be emailing Core 77 to say as much.

#10809 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:10

Hi all,

I want to bring to your attention a series currently running on design blog Core77 called 'Masters of the Cutaway'

Hat-tip to another interesting site for the link: Technical Illustrators .org

I think Part 10 should belong to Mr. Matthews and will be emailing Core 77 to say as much.

I would agree with you on that conclusion, Mariner. Welcome home ...
Not that I wasn't going to put these up anyway, but I will now dedicate two new aircraft pieces to you since you are here ...
Just pulled two pieces together out of my latest batch of scans, both Boeing, but about 60 years apart in their timeframe.
The first is a Mike Badrocke piece from Air International, December, 1996. This is the Boeing 777-300, which is now one of my favorite aircraft. Have been on these things quite a few times and they are quite stable and nice to fly.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10810 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:14

The second piece that I will post this evening is the historic Boeing B-17F Flying Fortress as illustrated by John Weal. Weal and Mike Badrocke did pretty much all of the Pilot Press cutaways back in the 70s when I started to take notice of aviation cutaways. This one was printed as part of the Pilot Press produced 1976 RAF Yearbook, but it has certainly made the rounds of many of the aviation history publications, as well.
Tom West

Posted Image

#10811 harerton

harerton

• 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:54

The second piece that I will post this evening is the historic Boeing B-17F Flying Fortress as illustrated by John Weal. Weal and Mike Badrocke did pretty much all of the Pilot Press cutaways back in the 70s when I started to take notice of aviation cutaways. This one was printed as part of the Pilot Press produced 1976 RAF Yearbook, but it has certainly made the rounds of many of the aviation history publications, as well.
Tom West

Posted Image

What about a Boeing 707 cutaway? Do you have any? This is my favorite aircraft!

Harerton

#10812 TWest

TWest

• 1,592 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:11

Harerton

Of course, there is a 707 in there, but it will come up when I hit the issues with it in there. Just going back through them as they come out of the box ... actually about six boxes of Air International/Enthusiast there.
Tom West

#10813 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:57

I was wandering on the web and found some of David Kimble's engines on a GM site with significantly better size and resolution than we originally had...

This Chevrolet Indy v8 from 2002 was originally seen in post 3235 on page 81.
Posted Image

This 350ci L48 Chevrolet from 1967 was originally seen in post 9430 on page 236.
Posted Image

This 302ci Z28 from the 1967 Camaro was also originally seen in post 9430 on page 236.
Posted Image

Unrelated, but also found while surfing is this 1973 NASCAR Pontiac Grand Am by Kenny Youngblood.
Posted Image

Peter

#10814 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:10

Harerton

Of course, there is a 707 in there, but it will come up when I hit the issues with it in there. Just going back through them as they come out of the box ... actually about six boxes of Air International/Enthusiast there.
Tom West

Until Tom gets to one, here are a couple of Boeing 707s that I have in digital form that probably aren't in Air International/Enthusiast. I'll be looking forward to see what he finds, as it probably will be a Badrocke or Weal and they will be different in appearance from these.
the first is by L Ashwell Wood
Posted Image

the second is by an unidentified artist
Posted Image

Peter

Edited by simplebrother, 12 January 2012 - 16:16.

#10815 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,095 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:59

I was wandering on the web and found some of David Kimble's engines on a GM site with significantly better size and resolution than we originally had...

Peter

Uploading hi-res pictures onto fb takes ages...that's why they are how they are. Thank you. :up:

#10816 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:32

a Robert Roux today:the triumph tr4
Posted Image

#10817 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 16:22

Uploading hi-res pictures onto fb takes ages...that's why they are how they are. Thank you. :up:

I understand, believe me - I have put several books into digital form because the pictures are so much easier to peruse on a large screen than on a book's page. And if it is an expensive book that you don't want to disassemble it is even more of a hassle. I am grateful for whatever is shared because of the work involved in scanning it properly. I'd have to admit I feel like I really scored when I find a larger, high definition scan by surfing the internet.

Peter

#10818 AAGR

AAGR

• 209 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 19:35

Here's a long-held rumour to which I never got the answer.

When Vic Berris was about to retire from AUTOCAR in the 1968 - 1970 period, management granted him a last indulgence. The story is that he chose to draw the then-new QE2 liner (there was/is a maritime title in the same magazine group), and insisted that he be allowed to keep the original.

It's a great story - but is it true ?

GRAHAM ROBSON

#10819 Motocar

Motocar

• 271 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 16:04

Cutaway Light Airplane Concept Popular Mechanics, this design created by Mr. Burt Rutan for PM magazine "Popular Mechanics" for Latin America in August de1987 English edition, was a set of ideas that should have a plane to return the passion for the flight showed that Americans always wanted to start a light airplane and practical as emblematic as the Piper Cub, but with materials and technology of the eighties (still is advanced) had a fixed landing gear of a single wheel in a location that does not penalize the aerodynamics, would have two small Wankel engine bi-rotor type water-cooled for greater reliability, all electrical controls were based servo cables and managed with a short levers of command, your board would be based in a lightweight computer (something that is now common) more presentable HUD flight data projected on the windshield and a streamlined fuselage of composite materials for greater solidity and very low weight, the front opening cockpit and interior molded tiered seats side by side to reduce the frontal area, canard wings (a characteristic feature in the designs of Mr. Rutan) and the main wing with arrow and negative dihedral at the tips take two small wheels to stabilize the aircraft on the ground. Finally a great set of ideas available for anyone wishing to design the popular airplane of tomorrow. author and illustrator of PM

Posted Image

Success for all

Advertisement

#10820 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 16:42

V8 32V bmw motor (1991) by Mickael Stirm
Posted Image

#10821 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 18:55

A few of the Villiers MotorCycle engines, drawn by Lawrence Watts. + some potentially interesting biographical material.

Posted Image
Villiers 197 cc '9E'. Artist, Lawrence Watts.

Posted Image
Villiers 225 cc 1H. Artist, Lawrence Watts.

Lawrence Watts was born in 1927 and showed little promise, by his own admission, at anything other than art while at school. However, his prowess in painting and drawing clearly marked him out as an exceptional talent.

At the age of 14 he found his first job in the bodyshop of Armstrong-Siddeley cars making wooden parts for the Whitley bomber, and nightly braving the Blitz to attend evening classes at Coventry Technical College.

In 1949, he joined the Coventry office of Associated Illiffe Press as Editorial Artist. Illiffe were at that time the largest publisher of technical periodicals in the UK and Lawrie "was in heaven!"

Soon, Lawrie's finely detailed cutaway drawings were appearing in the company's publications. Reflecting his strong interest in motorcycles, many of these early published drawings are of motorcycles and their engines.

His friendship with sidecar World Champion Eric Oliver led to him designing a streamlined sidecar outfit. This was later developed further and involved changing the role of the sidecar passenger thus enabling better weight distribution of the heavier components such as the fuel tank. The result was sensational and led to Oliver winning four successive sidecar championships.

Now working from freelance commissions, Lawrie entered his most productive period, producing drawings directly for manufacturers as well as magazines. Cars, trucks, engines of all sorts, land speed record cars, aircraft and aero engines, hovercraft and farm machinery have all benefited from Lawrie's expertise.

The 'devil is in the detail' accurately reflects a key element of Lawrie's work for it is often only when examining the fine detail of his drawings that one begins to appreciate the amount of work he puts in to ensure its accuracy.

A fine example is his drawing of the mighty Avon 200 Series jet engine which powered the Land Speed Record car 'Thrust 1'. So that the perspective would be exactly right, each blade within the engine is drawn individually - a job which he admits nearly drove him "round the twist."

A glider pilot of long-standing, Lawrie is as well-known for his art in the field of aviation as he is in the world of motoring and much of this book is taken up with his flying experiences from early days aeromodelling to qualifying as an airframe inspector. Also particularly interesting is the account of his involvement with the restoration of the Hawk - a replica of the glider built by the great aviation pioneer, Percy Pilcher

Edited by werks prototype, 14 January 2012 - 18:56.

#10822 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 18:59

Posted Image
Villiers 4T. (Revised barrels and angled head fins). Artist, Lawrence Watts.

THE technical drawings of Coventry artist Lawrie Watts have inspired engineers and designers for decades.

He came from a family of creative engineers. His grandfather, Alfred Herbert Watts, helped build planes in 1908, and his father Arthur was in charge of the toolroom at Daimler. He said: "It always seemed natural to me to draw and express myself on paper. When I was at Radford primary school my teacher thought I would one day be a great artist and I remember the head mistress used to put my drawings up around her office."

When the war started he was 14 and went to work at Armstrong Siddeley car factory, which was making parts for aeroplanes. He would work 12-hour days before going to Coventry Technical College to study and then try to be home before the Luftwaffe started bombing.

After Armstrong Siddeley he went to work in the drawing office of Daimler where he started designing and helped to plan the production line to make cars, taking inspiration from the war effort of producing planes on production lines, instead of by hand.

Then he worked for Maurice Wilks where he helped design the Land Rover, inspired by American jeeps, and even came up with the name.

As well as drawing he was also a keen test driver and pilot, and built his own gliders.

One of his favourite drawings is that of the Jaguar XJ13 but as well as drawings and designing planes and cars, Mr Watts has also drawn factories and film buildings.

All the different aspects of his life have been brought together in the book, by David Dixon. But he said: "I'm a bit embarrassed by it all to be honest because I was just doing my job."

Edited by werks prototype, 14 January 2012 - 19:04.

#10823 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 19:44

2007 Opel GT by G Betti
Posted Image

#10824 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 19:47

Opel Speedster by B Betti
Posted Image

#10825 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 19:59

Ferrari 288 GTO...............I think by one of the Bettis
Posted Image

#10826 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 820 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 21:21

Marc, You are right. Cutaway by Bruno Betti.
I thought this cutaway was already on the forum, but I found nothing in the index.

Ferrari 288 GTO by Bruno Betti.

Posted Image

Edited by ibsenop, 14 January 2012 - 21:38.

#10827 trauts

trauts

• 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:10

A few of the Villiers MotorCycle engines, drawn by Lawrence Watts. + some potentially interesting biographical material.

Posted Image
Villiers 197 cc '9E'. Artist, Lawrence Watts.

Posted Image
Villiers 225 cc 1H. Artist, Lawrence Watts.

Hi Werks,
I had the pleasure of meeting Lawrence on a number of occasions and he was a very nice guy.
Stuart

#10828 harerton

harerton

• 25 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:13

Tom West

Great!

Let's wait, then!

Harerton

#10829 harerton

harerton

• 25 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:15

Until Tom gets to one, here are a couple of Boeing 707s that I have in digital form that probably aren't in Air International/Enthusiast. I'll be looking forward to see what he finds, as it probably will be a Badrocke or Weal and they will be different in appearance from these.
the first is by L Ashwell Wood
Posted Image

the second is by an unidentified artist
Posted Image

Peter

Beautiful!

Thanks for sharing!

Harerton

#10830 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:15

David Kimble's Cadillac CTS
Posted Image

#10831 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:36

A Betti ?
Lancia Delta HF Integrale engine
Posted Image

#10832 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 17:36

Ibsen,...........for the Index
page 140 of the thread twin engine 2CV by artist inknown
= 2CV Sahara by Franco Rosso
Posted Image

#10833 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 18:18

Alpine A310 V6 by I.Dunno..sorry couldn't resist
Posted Image

#10834 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 18:46

Hi Werks,
I had the pleasure of meeting Lawrence on a number of occasions and he was a very nice guy.
Stuart

Hello Stuart

He does sound like a good bloke. You are fortunate to have met him in person. He has certainly lived his life. What adventures!

#10835 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 18:49

Posted Image
Triumph, Southern Cross. Artist, Max Millar.

Posted Image
Triumph Sports Cub. 199cc. 1963. Artist, L.A.Walton.

#10836 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 00:00

Alpine A310 V6 by I.Dunno..sorry couldn't resist

The A310 is by ETAI - below is a larger version
Posted Image

thanks for identifying the Safari artist (and for providing a picture with better resolution)

Peter

#10837 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 314 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 00:09

Here are a couple more David Kimble engines from that GM site...
Cadillac v8 - dohc, 32 valve
Posted Image

Hummer (H2) v8
Posted Image

Peter

#10838 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:27

simca gordini f2 1948-1952 by Gedo
Posted Image

#10839 Karabas

Karabas

• 111 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:12

Boeing 747 Cutaway from "TWA 50 Years Anniv." album

Posted Image

The artist is not specified, but according to the style - very similar to John Batchelor?

Edited by Karabas, 16 January 2012 - 10:26.

Advertisement

#10840 Karabas

Karabas

• 111 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:24

DH Mosquito IV by J.H. Clark for "The Aeroplane"

Posted Image

#10841 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 217 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 14:06

There's another thread on TNF paying tribute to Gianpero Moretti of "Momo" fame who passed away yesterday. Contained within that thread was a link to a profile on Sportscar Digest and page 3 of said profile has cutaways by Paolo d'Alessio of Moretti's 1984 Alba (Colour) and his Porsche 962 (B&W)

#10842 Motocar

Motocar

• 271 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 19:58

Dassault MD550 Cutaway Mirage, the first prototype of the game gave the French delta genesis of one of the most successful series of fighter aircraft, the little Mirage 550 responded to a request from the French Air Force for a light fighter capable of overcoming the Mach 1, which was able to confront the Soviet MiG fighter light, had two small engines of 980 Kgs Gabizo MD30R thrust (Viper engines with afterburning) and 66 with a SEPR rocket Kgs empuje1500 that would allow a climbing fast, it first flew June 1955 e25, the delta wing configuration was set low, with slight positive dihedral also derived delta (change to surface later aflechada), retractable landing gear, radar lacked it is essentially a day fighter, which was soon dismissed in favor of one that was better equipped, but had already proven the worth of the concept of delta hunt was followed by a long line of fighters that continue today with the fabulous Rafale, many of the elements used are speculative in the absence of data to more accurately of the same, original cutaway model Dassault Balzac, author Motocar to create this schematic cut up with ImageShack.us based drawing Dassault Balzac by Mike Badrocke

Posted Image

Dassault Super Etendart Modernized Cutaway, a proposal to modernize turbofan engine General Electric F-404, modernized avionics electronic scanning radar, laser marker for guiding bombs, radar warning sensors, additional air intake cooling post-burner and a tank made ​​to the fuselage at the top between the cab and the vertical surface, all speculative elements are added lacking the data for this proposal, author of the original model Aviagraphica cutaway, as amended by Motocar to create this cut schematic Super Etendart modernized and come up with ImageShack.us

Posted Image
Success for all

#10843 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 20:12

Posted Image
Connaught 'A' series. Artist, Redmill.

Posted Image
Connaught 'A' series. G.A. representative. Artist, Raymond Maile.

#10844 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 20:13

Posted Image
Body structure of early Porsche 911. Artist, J. Allington.

Posted Image
Porsche 911. 2.7 litre - K-Jetronic fuel injection system. Artist, unknown.

Posted Image
Porsche 2.7 litre engine with K-Jetronic fuel injection. 1974. Artist, unknown.

#10845 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,801 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 20:14

Posted Image
Matra Murena, mid-engined '3-seater'. Artist, ETAI France.

Posted Image
Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport engine. Artist, unknown.

Posted Image
William Towns's Mini-based 'Hustler'. Artist unknown.

#10846 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 22:26

Fiat 124 Abarth Rally 1972-1975, artist unknown. Different from the 1971 version on page 182.

Posted Image

#10847 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 23:49

Posted Image
Body structure of early Porsche 911. Artist, J. Allington.

Actually drawn by me, hence the slightly amateurish artwork.

#10848 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:14

a motorcycle today:the douglas t35 from 1950,artist unknown
Posted Image

#10849 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:31

a motorcycle today:the douglas t35 from 1950,artist unknown
Posted Image

Wonderful! I've never seen it before. I wonder if the 2/3 black, 1/3 white background is contemporary - I think it must be, but it looks so 'modern'.

#10850 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 217 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:30

The latest issue of the excellent Finescale Modeler Magazine has a feature on airbrush maintenance that's illustrated with a picture I thought would appeal to the viewers of this thread as it combines both elements - Illustration and Motorsport.

Posted Image