The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13236 replies to this topic

#1051 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 20:23

Originally posted by Rancethebus
Does anyone have any copies of Jim Allingtons Group 7/8 stuff? I have never seen those.

Here are the big three Allington Group 7 cars of the day.
Chapparal 2F / Ferrari P4 and Ford Mk IV. They were published as two-page spread advertisements for a fuel company in Road & Track in 1967, I stitched the pages together, repaired the centre-line and started to repair away the nasty indication lines running through the drawings.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#1052 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 20:46

Originally posted by Tony Matthews

Posted Image

and this is all I could get on the scanner.

would you scan the tail in separately at the same scale Tony, I'll try and glue it on to make the Martini complete.....I love a full 'Martini'........which reminds me ;)

#1053 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:29

Originally posted by macoran
It isn't really something typically Dutch Tony,...........probably more typical ME.

I know that, Marc, I was just teasing you. And thanks for doing such a fantastic job here, your enthusiasm and knowledge is inspirational!

#1054 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:49

Posted Image

I rarely bet, Marc, but I'd put money on that being a Betti, but which one? Jim's version was from a similar angle, but higher and steeper, i.e the centre-line was nearer to 30° - 35° to the base-line.

I knew it, I knew it, I just knowed it but I didn't know where.......
>>>>>>> here !!!Posted Image

problem is my attic is so loaded and stacked with stuff..... handyman !!!! help me with more shelf space !!

sheez !!! what a memory >>>>> but higher and steeper, i.e the centre-line was nearer to 30° - 35° to the base-line.

#1055 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:57

Back on topic.....I'll scan the set of Allington F1s when I bugger well feel up to it !;) :p

Not only did I find the '65( or am they 1966 ) Allington series, I also found the '63 F1 series done by the great man.

#1056 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 23:36

Shark Nose Detail with Giulio Betti signature

Posted Image

Ibsen
http://public.fotki.com/ibsenop/

Edited by ibsenop, 18 February 2012 - 10:51.

#1057 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 00:13

Originally posted by ibsenop
Shark Nose Detail with Giulio Betti signature

Posted Image

wow !! and that scan is more colourful as well !!

#1058 GeorgeTheCar

GeorgeTheCar

• 376 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 00:14

I have a memory of a McLaren M8 cutaway?

Is it just a memory??

#1059 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:01

It's not just a memory. It's real.

Mclaren M8A by Hatton

Posted Image

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 18 February 2012 - 10:52.

Advertisement

#1060 GeorgeTheCar

GeorgeTheCar

• 376 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:02

Nice but not the one in my memory.

Not to be too picky but the trumpets don't have the splay introduced with the M8A

#1061 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 732 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:43

Originally posted by GeorgeTheCar
Nice but not the one in my memory.

Not to be too picky but the trumpets don't have the splay introduced with the M8A

Yes, I recall a different M8A cutaway that was published in R&T.

#1062 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 16:28

Another Mclaren M8 cutaway.
Sorry, only low resolution and blurred image.
No artist name. => Mati Palk

Posted Image

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 10 February 2011 - 22:34.

#1063 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 17:26

Originally posted by Nigel Beresford

Yes, I recall a different M8A cutaway that was published in R&T.

I know the one you guys are on about.........
Marc...............dig up attic..or does one dig down ?

#1064 Neil Smith

Neil Smith

• 29 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 18:08

Hi

re the unidentified Ferrari 156 cutaway - I'd go for another Italian, Sergio Baratto who did many fine cutaways of Ferraris in the 80's and 90's - Quattroruote and possibly in Autosprint too. There is quite a bit of his work in 'Ferrari Monoposto: Catalogue Raisonne 1948-1997' published by Automobilia and edited by Bruno Alfieri. There are many cutaways in the book and Baratto seems to be the 'house' artist... there's a good 1958 Dino 246 on the dust jacket. But interestingly, the cutaway of the 156 in that book is not by him but by another good Italian, Cavara.

Neil

#1065 Neil Smith

Neil Smith

• 29 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 18:15

Whoops - didn't see the Betti identification of the 256 before posting... but the comments on Baratto still stand - he did do some good stuff.

cheers

Neil

#1066 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 20:19

Posted Image

It can't be done Marc, I've had several attempts but as the scans are cropped differently the scale changes. The only thing I can do is scan the whole thing again tomorrow, two scans with the same settings, no cropping and see if that works. It will also give me the chance to get the density settings the same for both. I can post them and then delete them after you have captured them. How does that sound?

Edited to say:- ..well, it can be done if you have the software to change the scale of one to the other. As you asked for them to be the same scale I assume you don't have this capability. I'm not putting photoshop on this bloody computer - and another thing. I have a cheap, stop-gap B&W HP printer. It cost £70, including one cartridge. The cartridge has finally expired. New cartridge cost? £60. I am not so naive as to think that the machine is not heavily discounted in order to make a killing on cartridges, but this strikes me as crazy. I must be tired, I can't think of anything else to have a rant about...oh! apart from my Nikon Coolpix P6000. What a total pain, I'm sick and tired of digital, my D700 isn't much better, I'm going back to film...

#1067 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,887 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 21:18

It can't be done Marc, I've had several attempts but as the scans are cropped differently the scale changes. The only thing I can do is scan the whole thing again tomorrow, two scans with the same settings, no cropping and see if that works. It will also give me the chance to get the density settings the same for both. I can post them and then delete them after you have captured them. How does that sound?

Edited to say:- ..well, it can be done if you have the software to change the scale of one to the other. As you asked for them to be the same scale I assume you don't have this capability. I'm not putting photoshop on this bloody computer - and another thing. I have a cheap, stop-gap B&W HP printer. It cost £70, including one cartridge. The cartridge has finally expired. New cartridge cost? £60. I am not so naive as to think that the machine is not heavily discounted in order to make a killing on cartridges, but this strikes me as crazy. I must be tired, I can't think of anything else to have a rant about...oh! apart from my Nikon Coolpix P6000. What a total pain, I'm sick and tired of digital, my D700 isn't much better, I'm going back to film...

You could try taking a photo of the drawing, I've done that with some blueprints and it is possible to get a pretty good image (but avoiding shadows can be a problem)...

If it works it might help restore your faith in modern technology, or it could prove that you're right!

#1068 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 21:36

Either way, yet another masterpiece, Tony! Did you do any other 2L F2 cars? A lovely formula, killed much too soon by Bernie IMO, merely to find a place to run obsolte 3L (Cossie) F1 cars...

Ibsen, the slightly blurred M8 you posted appears to me to be an Allington.

BTW, I really like Brian Hatton's style, too (methinks I may already have said as much, about 1000 posts ago...)

#1069 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 22:08

two scans with the same settings, no cropping and see if that works. It will also give me the chance to get the density settings the same for both. I can post them and then delete them after you have captured them. How does that sound?

That should do the trick I think, the main problem now is that you cropped horizontally.
The front half of the Martini thus has to be stretched to fit the rear half. Two scans...two half Martinis...no cropping...will make it a lot easier. Also when scanning the front half and rear half should be scanned with the
drawing moved across the same baseline.

#1070 Mistron

Mistron

• 832 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 22:20

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet, but can anyone else recall a really funny 'Stirling Moss' cutaway which appeared in a publication in the early '60s?

I have a copy somewhere, I think it might have been in a 'Motor racing' or an Autosport.

I think it shows SM in a seated pose, with a spaceframed ribcage, damper for muscles, rosejoints for joints etc.

#1071 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 22:25

Edited to say:- ................I have a cheap, stop-gap B&W HP printer. It cost £70, including one cartridge. The cartridge has finally expired. New cartridge cost? £60. I am not so naive as to think that the machine is not heavily discounted in order to make a killing on cartridges, but this strikes me as crazy. I must be tired, I can't think of anything else to have a rant about...oh! apart from my Nikon Coolpix P6000. What a total pain, I'm sick and tired of digital, my D700 isn't much better, I'm going back to film...

I have found most HP printers to be priced close to the price of new cartridges, so your thought pattern is not crazy. On top of that O.E cartridges only have 50% of the ink load compared to replacement cartridges.
Running joke over this here side of the North Sea is, oh oh printer cartridge is out of ink.....buy a new printer and get a cartridge FREE :lol:
As for cameras, I got tired hauling around the big digital camera on holidays and decided to buy a small fist sized picture snapper. Little thing has 10Mp, Carl Zeiss lens ,4Gb memory stick (good for 1000 pics on full res). I must say its a jewel, I am sure James had one like it for his document spying shots.

#1072 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 22:32

Originally posted by Bonde
Either way, yet another masterpiece, Tony! Did you do any other 2L F2 cars? A lovely formula, killed much too soon by Bernie IMO, merely to find a place to run obsolte 3L (Cossie) F1 cars...

Ibsen, the slightly blurred M8 you posted appears to me to be an Allington.

BTW, I really like Brian Hatton's style, too (methinks I may already have said as much, about 1000 posts ago...)

Many thanks, Anders, unfortunately only one other, the ICI March 79(?)2, I'll have to check, but I thought they were lovely cars, too.

I thought the same about Ibsen's M8 posting, but a) I can't remember Jim doing that car and b) on closer examination it is a good pastiche of Jim's style but it is not one of his! Having said that it will turn out to be one of his drawings! The more convinced I am the more I tend to be wrong. Odd, that...

And that March must be later, but I'm going to bed, I don't have the original and I will have to check through loose 35mm slides.

#1073 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 22:47

Hi Tony,

Here are your full (glued two parts) Martini MK16 F2 cutaway.

Posted Image

Can I post your Mirage M6 cutaway?

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 18 February 2012 - 10:53.

#1074 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 23:25

:up: :up: :up: Ibsen
You master whatever program you use better than I do mine.

#1075 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 00:34

I have found most HP printers to be priced close to the price of new cartridges, so your thought pattern is not crazy. On top of that O.E cartridges only have 50% of the ink load compared to replacement cartridges.
Running joke over this here side of the North Sea is, oh oh printer cartridge is out of ink.....buy a new printer and get a cartridge FREE :lol:

I got fed up with this printer/cartridge carry-on a while back. I got a Brother B&W laser printer that's been going like a train ever since. In the long-run, it works out much cheaper than inkjet and the improved print quality is gravy.

#1076 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:49

Originally posted by IrishMariner

I got fed up with this printer/cartridge carry-on a while back. I got a Brother B&W laser printer that's been going like a train ever since. In the long-run, it works out much cheaper than inkjet and the improved print quality is gravy.

I forgot to mention, IM, that it IS a laser printer! I only got it for invoices, letters and such-like, and the quality is excellent - but I have to uninstall it and reinstall it every couple of weeks because it won't do what it supposed to do, i.e. - print! And all the while I am recieving HP software up-dates, sometimes, or so it seems, more than once a day. So something must be wrong somewhere...

#1077 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:00

:up: :up: :up: Ibsen
You master whatever program you use better than I do mine.

if you have photoshop - if you scan both parts at the same resolution you'll probably be able to stitch them automatically using the automerge feature. There are other photostitching utilities available too. PTGui is very good.

Otherwise you need to put both images into a document as layers, change the top one's layer mode to multiply and then use the free transtform tool to align it. When it's aligned switch the layer mode back to normal and that should be it.

#1078 Rancethebus

Rancethebus

• 52 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:27

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

For those who are like myself admirers of Tony's work, I hope Tony wont mind me including copies of his work of the Brabham BT34, BRM P160, IBEC P2 and March 735 that have not previously been included n this forum. I aologise for their quality but they were scanned from copies of Motoring news which were thirty five years old and yellowed with age and creased and torn. Going by the premise that something is better than nothing, I hope that fellow admirers will accept the quality.
A question that I have for Tony regarding the March 735 is, did you photograph the car early in it's development as it does not have a rear wing? I believe it only ever raced with a rear wing in place and I would have thought that in 1973 a rear wing would have been "De Rigeur". I presume the holes in the rear bodywork were to take the wing supports.

#1079 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:36

I hope that fellow admirers will accept the quality.

No problem at all, I managed to clean out the copies I lifted from your post.

If Tony really doesn't mind I'll post the Tyrrell 007 and The Ferrari 312 B3 which wer centre-spread in
some MotorSports I picked up. The centre foldline was discoloured with gathered dust and rusty staple hole marks.

Advertisement

#1080 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:38

Hi Tony,

Here are your full (glued two parts) Martini MK16 F2 cutaway.

Posted Image

Now Tony how about posting the rest of the Shadow DN1 and Ibsen can have a go at glueing that together ?

#1081 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:07

Here are the 1965 Allingtons
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Porsche doesn’t belong in the set covered by the article in Car & Driver, but I include it anyway.

#1082 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:13

The Tony, Jim, Marc and Ibsen Show:

...Magic. All bloody magic...

:clap: :up: :cool: :kiss: :drunk: :stoned:

(I just luuurve that Ibec...such a different subject! Sports car and single seater in one swell foop!)

#1083 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:26

Simply awesome!

#1084 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:40

Here are the 1965 Allingtons

they are very small - intentionally so? I'd like to use them as my desktop backgrounds ...

#1085 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:44

David,
I have contacted Mark Steigerwald for an original Bill Bennett Surtees TS7.

He replied a few days ago.

Dear Marc:

Thank you for your inquiry.

I will take a look through Dave's collection for a duplicate copy of TS-7 cutaway drawing and let you know what I find.

Best wishes,

Mark Steigerwald

#1086 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:56

Originally posted by NPP

they are very small - intentionally so? I'd like to use them as my desktop backgrounds ...

click on the thumbnail....Image Shack opens....click on the Image Shack image and you'll get them full screen

#1087 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,887 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:42

Originally posted by IrishMariner

Similar issue with laser refills though.
I just bought an all singing and dancing Brother colour laser all in one machine - got about 20% off list price from my local shop by showing him some online prices that were even lower.
Went in an office supplies shop and added up the price of the 4 refills and they are pretty close to the online price for the whole printer, admittedly they were higher capacity than the ones supplied with it but it's the same principle...
But I'm very happy with it - cost about the same as refills for the previous printer and it does more and gets rid of the seperate fax machine.

#1088 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 703 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 00:02

click on the thumbnail....Image Shack opens....click on the Image Shack image and you'll get them full screen

normal procedure with image shack i know, but when you click on these they dont enlarge...

edit - make that the first two dont, the others do now??

its not one of waldo's death rays is it....

peter :confused:

#1089 geoffg

geoffg

• 18 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:44

A first post, from a new member. Hopefully this works.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first is a drawing of a Lancia B20 done by Brian Kinkaid, here in Chicago. Brian is no longer with us, but he was a very talented guy.
He also did the lovely Ferrari drawing. Both pen and ink.

#1090 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:56

...For those who are like myself admirers of Tony's work, I hope Tony wont mind me including copies of his work of the Brabham BT34, BRM P160, IBEC P2 and March 735 that have not previously been included n this forum. I aologise for their quality but they were scanned from copies of Motoring news which were thirty five years old and yellowed with age and creased and torn. Going by the premise that something is better than nothing, I hope that fellow admirers will accept the quality.

Great work - thanks for taking the time to make them available for us all. Nice one!

#1091 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:51

Originally posted by PeterElleray

normal procedure with image shack i know, but when you click on these they dont enlarge...

edit - make that the first two dont, the others do now??

its not one of waldo's death rays is it....

peter :confused:

indeed, the first two don't enlarge, and after those I gave up. I have now seen the others which are indeed large - and beautifully done!

#1092 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 20:33

Originally posted by NPP

indeed, the first two don't enlarge, and after those I gave up. I have now seen the others which are indeed large - and beautifully done!

I've reposted them, they should open correctly now.

#1093 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 21:15

Hi Tony,

Can I post your Mirage M6 cutaway?

Of course, Ibsen, post away! I don't have an A4 print, only a large - 20"x30" - print, and the original, and I haven't seen either for a long time.

#1094 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 703 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 23:33

much appreciated,

thanks

peter

#1095 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 00:10

1973 Mirage M6 by Tony Matthews

Fantastic cutaway as always.

Posted Image

To Rancethebus
The holes at the rear of March 73S are rear brake air intakes, not to take wing support.
Ibsen

#1096 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:21

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I have enjoyed this thread very much. I have been a fan of cut-away art; in awe of the artists since I saw an Inomoto drawing of an V16 Autounion in Road&Track magazine. I was amazed when I bought a issue of Racecar Engineering and saw the beautiful artwork of Mr. Tony Matthews. I kept those issues and have scanned those images. If Tony doesn't mind me sharing them I can attempt to post them. The ones I have are:Penske PC23 Mercedes-Benz, McLaren MP4/7A, Lola T93/01, Lola T94/00 Ford XB and Tyrrell 022 Yamaha

#1097 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:09

Originally posted by DHFiallo
I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I have enjoyed this thread very much. I have been a fan of cut-away art; in awe of the artists since I saw an Inomoto drawing of an V16 Autounion in Road&Track magazine. I was amazed when I bought a issue of Racecar Engineering and saw the beautiful artwork of Mr. Tony Matthews. I kept those issues and have scanned those images. If Tony doesn't mind me sharing them I can attempt to post them. The ones I have are:Penske PC23 Mercedes-Benz, McLaren MP4/7A, Lola T93/01, Lola T94/00 Ford XB and Tyrrell 022 Yamaha

Thanks for the kind words DH, but there is no need, I have 5"x4" transparencies of all those, which I can scan and post - they will be much higher quality than scans from the magazine - but I am more interested in the work by other illustrators that is now, with the help of macoran and ibsenop, coming to light. And by the way, the MP4/7A was not my work, I am not sure who did it, all my Racecar Engineering mags have gone, so I can't check. I would have loved to have done some McLarens later than the M26, but although I tried I was never given permission, even though I did so much work for Marlboro.

#1098 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:12

To Rancethebus
The holes at the rear of March 73S are rear brake air intakes, not to take wing support.
Ibsen

You beat me to it, Ibsen! Correct, obviously bleeding off a high pressure area. If there ever was a wing I didn't see one, and there were no clues as to where one might be mounted. That doesn't mean there wasn't one!

#1099 Manel Bar

Manel Bar

• 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:06

Originally posted by geoffg
A first post, from a new member. Hopefully this works.

The first is a drawing of a Lancia B20 done by Brian Kinkaid, here in Chicago. Brian is no longer with us, but he was a very talented guy.
He also did the lovely Ferrari drawing. Both pen and ink.

Thank you very much Geoff. These drawings are reallysuperb and the style very original. Have you any more samples of Brian work?

Advertisement

#1100 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:08

they do, thank you! This thread is really special, with so much to discover every time I return to it.