• Please log in to reply
13236 replies to this topic

#12601 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:01

Urbane or urban? Or both?

Tony,
I agree, and had visions of Peter Boyle doing "Puttin' on the Ritz" out of Young Frankenstein ... tophat, cane, and all. Yes, the Urbane Gorilla, it is.
Tom West

Advertisement

#12602 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 23:37

Ford GT40 by artist unknown. Colour version of the Ford GT40 cutaway by Dick Ellis.
From Encyclopedia of Supercars 16 - 1991.

Posted Image

#12603 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 17:48

I agree, and had visions of Peter Boyle doing "Puttin' on the Ritz" out of Young Frankenstein ... tophat, cane, and all. Yes, the Urbane Gorilla, it is.
Tom West

Officially, I think it was the writer, Dennis Foy who first labelled the Sapphire RS Cosworth the 'Urbane Guerilla'.

#12604 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 17:49

Posted Image
Ferrari 250 LM. Artist, Giulio Betti. A mirrored version of that first posted by Ibsen, page 182.

Posted Image
BSA 646 Parallel cylinder motorcycle engine. Artist, unknown.

Edited by werks prototype, 23 April 2013 - 17:54.

#12605 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 18:53

Officially, I think it was the writer, Dennis Foy who first labelled the Sapphire RS Cosworth the 'Urbane Guerilla'.

It seemed to have the feel of a nicely refined mis-statement that was intentional, but still fun to have that visual to go with it. Now, if they could come up with a reference that reminds me of Kenneth Mars as the Sheriff, with the ratcheting arm. Not sure what that would be, however.
Tom West

#12606 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 19:04

Posted Image
Ferrari 250 LM. Artist, Giulio Betti. A mirrored version of that first posted by Ibsen, page 182.

The 250LM was one of my favorite sports cars while I was in High school. I did a series of cutaway drawings by copying art from various magazines just to see how they felt. I moved through different contemporary artists and ended up with the last being James Allington's piece of the 250LM. Still love this car.
Tom West

#12607 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 20:15

The 250LM was one of my favorite sports cars while I was in High school. I did a series of cutaway drawings by copying art from various magazines just to see how they felt. I moved through different contemporary artists and ended up with the last being James Allington's piece of the 250LM. Still love this car.
Tom West

Yes, I agree. There is something quite subtle about the 250 LM.

Is there any chance you might still have some of those early 250 LM works of yours, Tom? Or would their location now require a veritable digging 'expedition'? Hope you kept them.

#12608 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 20:39

Yes, I agree. There is something quite subtle about the 250 LM.

Is there any chance you might still have some of those early 250 LM works of yours, Tom? Or would their location now require a veritable digging 'expedition'? Hope you kept them.

I have a couple of the early "copy art" pieces, I think, but not exactly sure, to be honest. This is one that I wish I had kept, as the image here is the largest that I have on the car, original or my own copy ... which I never scanned. Just say that it was the last piece that I did like that, figuring that I would work my way up in complexity through a Steve Swaja dragster (which was actually my inspiration for doing this stuff in the first place), a couple of William Moore pieces that were more suggestive than detailed, it seemed, the LaTourette Goldenrod streamliner, and culminating in the Allington 250LM. All of them were done by ruining a copy of the drawing in a magazine by linking a 1/8-inch grid over it, and drawing the car on a 1/4-inch or 3/8-inch grid, so it got larger in the translation. It was just done to figure out the process of how to understand all of this shit happening on a single layer of flat art. The process sort of mesmerized me, while everyone else in the classes seemed to be able to sketch a car from the outside, I ended up realizing that if you give me the outside, I could figure out the inside. Took a few years to get the opportunity to actually do a piece of art that demonstrated that little weirdness in my abilities. It was rather fun to realize that my limited set of tools were perfectly applied for this type of artwork, and no other. When I see someone that has obvious artistic ability and does this stuff, it just takes things another step higher on the food chain for me.
Tom West

#12609 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 00:02

Brabham BT53 by Giorgio Piola.

Posted Image

#12610 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:42

Posted Image
Morgan 4-4. 1946 Version. Artist, Roberts.

Posted Image
Kawasaki Tandem Twin. Artist, unknown.

#12611 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,046 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 14:06

Posted Image
Kawasaki Tandem Twin. Artist, unknown.

This is just sick. How and why for f*** sakes would anybody come up with something like this?

#12612 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 14:14

This is just sick. How and why for f*** sakes would anybody come up with something like this?

Drag reduction?

There must be other reasons too.

#12613 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,046 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 15:31

Drag reduction?

There must be other reasons too.

There must be other reasons than drag reduction judging by photos of the bike that carried the engine. You could easy hide a parallel twin behind that radiator.

Found another cutaway of the engine on the web:
Posted Image

#12614 Macca

Macca

• 3,304 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:13

At the time the Kawasaki KR250 was developed, 2-stroke technology was such that disc-valve induction into the crankcase was better than piston-ported (reed valves to control blowback into the carburettors were not so highly developed as those used later on V4 500s and V-twin 250s); so since disc valves are best placed on the end of the crankcase, 500cc bikes were square-4 with 2 crankshafts and 2 carbs each side, and 250cc bikes were half of a 500 - either a short wide engine with carbs on the sides or a long narrow engine with inline cylinders and both carbs on one side.

Couldn't have been too scaly - won loads of WCs.

Paul M

#12615 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 22:29

Donn Thorson has posted a number of illustrations on the alt.binaries.pictures.autos Usenet group. I don't know if he is known to this forum or if this kind of work is pertinent to this group, but it is certainly remarkable. The flicker photostream offers originals at as much as 3600x. He says:

A NOTE ABOUT THESE ILLUSTRATIONS

I have produced a number of technical illustrations of various
automobiles, ships, and other mechanical items. I will be posting some
that I have I have produced.

Each of the cutaway illustrations were produced entirely on the
computer, using Adobe Illustrator CS4 software and then printed as
18"x24" size color prints.
All of the cutaway illustrations were produced using reference from
photographs, and detail drawings. Each illustration shows details: A
brief history, some features, and a larger cutaway of the engine.

The illustrations are not meant to be photorealistic, but are meant to
give the viewer a general overall view of the construction and
appearance of the subject, and are suitable for display.

Thanks'

Donn

Posted Image

#12616 onelung

onelung

• 545 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 00:11

At the time the Kawasaki KR250 was developed, 2-stroke technology was such that disc-valve induction into the crankcase was better than piston-ported (reed valves to control blowback into the carburettors were not so highly developed as those used later on V4 500s and V-twin 250s); so since disc valves are best placed on the end of the crankcase, 500cc bikes were square-4 with 2 crankshafts and 2 carbs each side, and 250cc bikes were half of a 500 - either a short wide engine with carbs on the sides or a long narrow engine with inline cylinders and both carbs on one side.

Couldn't have been too scaly - won loads of WCs.

Paul M

Another possible advantage might be overall engine balance? The cranks rotate in opposition.
A much earlier (~ 1910) two stroke to do this was the Dodson Valveless (called by some the Doddering Valveless) - two cylinders and cranks, one combustion chamber, around 3 litres swept volume.
Posted Image

#12617 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 22:08

Donn Thorson has posted a number of illustrations on the alt.binaries.pictures.autos Usenet group. I don't know if he is known to this forum or if this kind of work is pertinent to this group, but it is certainly remarkable.

We have seen his work posted - I believe the first was August of 2012, with further postings again a couple of times in October of the same year. Obviously not all of his works have been showcased, but we have seen cars, planes, trains, and ships. Certainly different in format from most of what we see, as he does it all electronically, but I agree, remarkable works. Not all of what he does are cutaways, as is true for many artists, but those are certainly pertinent here.

I think I will use your comments as a springboard using one of Donn's illustrations - the Gnome Monosoupape 9 Type B-2 engine. The Monosoupape (French for single valve) was an extraordinary radial aircraft engine - dual ignition, single valve for each of the 9 (in this, the third iteration of the engine) rotary cylinders, but the entire engine rotated. Less moving parts (no exhaust manifold, no points or distributor, no carburetor or throttle), but expensive to build as everything had to be balanced. A very interesting article can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnome_Monosoupape which includes a list of the numerous aircraft that used this remarkable (though not really efficient or easy to service) power plant.

Posted Image

Peter

Edited by simplebrother, 30 April 2013 - 00:08.

#12618 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:59

Renault RS01 detail by Sergio Baratto.

Posted Image

TNF cutaway Index update at page 310.

Edited by ibsenop, 01 May 2013 - 18:09.

#12619 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 16:54

Tyrrell P34 1976 by Giorgio Piola.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#12620 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:49

Posted Image
Matchless o.h.v. engine. Artist, unknown.

Posted Image
Morgan 4-4 independent front suspension 1936 form. Artist, unknown.

Posted Image
Morgan 4-4 independent front suspension 1937 form. Artist, unknown.

Posted Image
Morgan 4-4 chassis construction study (Z shaped side members on the lower flanges). Artist, unknown.

#12621 mariner

mariner

• 1,353 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:38

Many of you cutaway drawing addicts will have seen, and marvelled at, Tony Matthews exquisite drawings posted here. On May 1st the 750 MC Hertfordshire Centre had a rare opportunity to have Tony as our guest at one of our regular competition car nights near junction 22 of the M25.

Tony gave us over two hours of his time telling of his career as a technical illustrator, starting with his apprenticeship to James Allington and ending by showing us my own favourite amongst his work, the Aston Martin sportscar cutaway.

Not only did Tony show us many of his original drawings on the 20 inch by 30 inch boards but he explained some of the techniques used to create the artwork which is a fascinating topic in its own right. Some engineers would tell Tony " its all just metal colour" but when you see his Ferrari F300 gearbox cutaway up close you can see how an illustrator uses shades to bring out all the fine detail.

His drawings have always looked great in print and on here but, at risk of making you all jealous, to see the originals and study the incredible detail " live" as it were is something else.

So I'm taking this opportunity to thank Tony for coming to our meetings and sharing his life's work with us.

#12622 Dhango

Dhango

• 36 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:49

No Tim, I am not sure! I got 555 from the page that the cutaway is on, and I've had an email from macaron telling me it's wrong! However, I don't know what tthe Lancia D50 was called as a Ferrari, with the pontoons faired in to the body. Was it a Ferrari D50?

Edited to say I've just read the post above, Lancia-Ferrari D50! Shows how much I know, or more likely, how much I've forgotten!

Lancia-Ferrari D50, but some called it Ferrari V8. In 1957 they were heavily modified and called Ferrari 801.

#12623 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:31

Posted Image
Ferrari 375 F1. Artist, Bruno Betti.
The same as that which first appeared on page 132, though here in a slightly different context.

Posted Image
Honda 1300. Artist unknown. Not great quality print.

Posted Image
Honda 1300. Artist unknown. Not great quality print.

#12624 dovatf

dovatf

• 43 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 21:18

Would someone have these in a bigger size?

Posted Image
Audi R8, Ricardo transmission

Posted Image
Alfa Romeo Giulia

Posted Image
Mitsubishi 4x2 on Colt / Tredia / Cordia

Edited by dovatf, 12 May 2013 - 21:22.

#12625 dovatf

dovatf

• 43 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 22:04

Oops, I see that the Ricardo gearbox of the racing Audi R8 is yours, Tony!
Thanks a lot for your wonderful work and your much appreciated contributions here.

#12626 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:58

No problemo, dovatf, it's not my copyright. However, I will post a bigger scan if you want it. This is a bit of a farce, really, as Audi/Ricardo didn't want the actual tooth form on the spur gears or the bevel gears to be shown, so, although the number of teeth iscorrect, the form is not. I seem to remember that the selector forks are wrong too. On top of that, Ricardo never made use of it, hence the tiny file you posted. I thought it would at least get a page in Racecar Engineering, but it didn't, as far as i know. Audi were apparently very pleased with it and ordered 20 or so Chromacopy prints - didn't lead anywhere though! At least it was practice for the next gearbox I did, and the next airbrush illustration.

One laugh I got out of it was that I stippled the cut sections lightly here and there to break up the pure white, only to be asked to remove this and just add a bit of tint. I was puzzled why the stippling was a problem until I had a sudden thought. "Have you had a problem with porous or broken castings?" I asked "Er, yes, actually..." came the reply.

Well, had a long look but I can't find a transparency or a print, so that's that!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 13 May 2013 - 12:56.

#12627 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 16:39

No problemo, dovatf, it's not my copyright. However, I will post a bigger scan if you want it. This is a bit of a farce, really, as Audi/Ricardo didn't want the actual tooth form on the spur gears or the bevel gears to be shown, so, although the number of teeth iscorrect, the form is not. I seem to remember that the selector forks are wrong too. On top of that, Ricardo never made use of it, hence the tiny file you posted. I thought it would at least get a page in Racecar Engineering, but it didn't, as far as i know. Audi were apparently very pleased with it and ordered 20 or so Chromacopy prints - didn't lead anywhere though! At least it was practice for the next gearbox I did, and the next airbrush illustration.

One laugh I got out of it was that I stippled the cut sections lightly here and there to break up the pure white, only to be asked to remove this and just add a bit of tint. I was puzzled why the stippling was a problem until I had a sudden thought. "Have you had a problem with porous or broken castings?" I asked "Er, yes, actually..." came the reply.

Well, had a long look but I can't find a transparency or a print, so that's that!

Too bad you don't have that piece, as it is fun seeing your talent applied to anything like this. At least it is another addition to the Matthews,Tony file for me.
Tom West

#12628 dovatf

dovatf

• 43 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 16:15

Thank you, anyway!

What about this Corvette transmission:
Posted Image
I can't find a bigger one, again...

#12629 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:31

Aston martin db3s by John Hostler
Posted Image

#12630 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:05

I've been tied up with other projects and though I have snuck a peek a couple of times to see what is happening, I haven't contributed for a while...
Here are a several by Hubert Redmill, all published in Eagle Comics during the '50s...

First, the 1957 BMW Isetta 300
Posted Image

Next, the 1950-53 Aston Martin DB2
Posted Image

Then a 1953 Sunbeam Talbot 90
Posted Image

Followed by the 1951-53 Jaguar XK-120C
Posted Image

Finishing with a 1952 Connaught Type A Formula 2
Posted Image

Peter

#12631 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 17:33

I've been tied up with other projects and though I have snuck a peek a couple of times to see what is happening, I haven't contributed for a while...
Here are a several by Hubert Redmill, all published in Eagle Comics during the '50s...

First, the 1957 BMW Isetta 300
Posted Image

Peter

Welcome back. Always look forward to your contributions. Feel like I have been absent as well, so should pick some items to post ... hmmm.
Thanks for your posts.
Tom West

#12632 PJGD

PJGD

• 72 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 23:53

This is a bit of a farce, really, as Audi/Ricardo didn't want the actual tooth form on the spur gears or the bevel gears to be shown, so, although the number of teeth iscorrect, the form is not.

That is an interesting story, Tony. Today I just happened to stop in momentarily on a Transmission Conference here in Rochester, MI, and Ricardo were exhibiting there with their supercar transmission (for McLaren, I believe) and the gearbox was fully sectioned so that all the gears and selectors could be examined and even photographed. . .

PJGD

#12633 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:27

... Ricardo were exhibiting there with their supercar transmission (for McLaren, I believe) and the gearbox was fully sectioned so that all the gears and selectors could be examined and even photographed. . .

PJGD

This is now, that was then. This is a production unit, that was a race unit, every service mechanic will eventually get to see inside the McLaren box. All I can add was that it was extremely frustrating to have to 'lie', only the second time I have been asked to do it. The previous time was with Ilmor's first V10, when I was asked to change the piston crowns and con rods. As Mario Illien said, "That will keep the Japanese guessing!"

#12634 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,428 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:01

The latest magnificent Tony Matthews cutaway at Mac's Motor City Garage: TOM'S Toyota Supra racer from the great days of touring car racing in GB and on the Continent. Also features Tony's adventures as a crew member at the Spa 24 Hrs.

Tony Matthews Cutaway: TOM'S Toyota Supra | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

#12635 alansart

alansart

• 4,000 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:06

This is now, that was then. This is a production unit, that was a race unit, every service mechanic will eventually get to see inside the McLaren box. All I can add was that it was extremely frustrating to have to 'lie', only the second time I have been asked to do it. The previous time was with Ilmor's first V10, when I was asked to change the piston crowns and con rods. As Mario Illien said, "That will keep the Japanese guessing!"

There's nothing more frustrating than after having spent hours producing something as accurate as you can to be told "ooh, we can't show that. Can you do this and change that etc." I did a lot of work in the late 70's and early 80's which needed MOD clearance and at times had me pulling my hair out :confused:

Then there's the opposite scenario where I'm working on a product that's a proposal and not been built. I remember a project for a Tank. We had the size of the vehicle and all the bits that needed to go in it. They all wouldn't fit but they had to look like they did. We made them fit in the end but there never any possibility of it working. - Surprise, surprise they didn't get the contract!

#12636 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 17:18

Folks,
This has been one of those occasional flat spots in this group that always make me wonder about how such things happen. I have been busy with some things here, so just have not pulled up more of the images to clean up and send. I would imagine that many of you are in the same boat, so I am going to put in a personal request to the infrequent posters to jump in here and provide some fill while some of the regulars refresh a bit. i know it would be appreciated here.
Thanks.
Tom

#12637 1996900sp

1996900sp

• 36 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 21:46

Hi Tom,

I will add a few more of the pieces I recently did for VW. It was fun drawing all the different interior components.

The GTI and Passat.

Best, Jim

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12638 onelung

onelung

• 545 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 22:56

Folks,
This has been one of those occasional flat spots in this group that always make me wonder about how such things happen. I have been busy with some things here, so just have not pulled up more of the images to clean up and send. I would imagine that many of you are in the same boat, so I am going to put in a personal request to the infrequent posters to jump in here and provide some fill while some of the regulars refresh a bit. i know it would be appreciated here.
Thanks.
Tom

As Peter Sellers said to Shirley MacLaine - "I like to watch..."
So here's my modest contribution - a vehicle I've only just become aware of: a sort of poor man's Haflinger.
Link to Farmobile
Tom, I'm wondering, do you have any Ariel bike cutaways in your collection?
Posted Image

#12639 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 23:31

Hi Tom,

I will add a few more of the pieces I recently did for VW. It was fun drawing all the different interior components.

The GTI and Passat.

Best, Jim

Posted Image
Posted Image

Great, Jim. I have really enjoyed all of these pieces .. went to the site and downloaded all of them, so you are officially represented in my collection in a very nice way. Thanks.
Tom West

Advertisement

#12640 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 23:38

As Peter Sellers said to Shirley MacLaine - "I like to watch..."
So here's my modest contribution - a vehicle I've only just become aware of: a sort of poor man's Haflinger.
Link to Farmobile
Tom, I'm wondering, do you have any Ariel bike cutaways in your collection?
Posted Image

I have heard that "like to watch" expression, but usually in a different contest.
As to the Arial, there have been a couple of things that have been posted here, but I think they were all engine illustrations from what i remember. Might want to check out that wonderful Index that is put together every ten pages .. makes this a great reference resource.
I know that I have nothing beyond that in my own collection; I am more specifically a car guy, so most of my stuff is the 4-wheel variety.
Tom West

#12641 1996900sp

1996900sp

• 36 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 23:38

Great, Jim. I have really enjoyed all of these pieces .. went to the site and downloaded all of them, so you are officially represented in my collection in a very nice way. Thanks.
Tom West

Hi Tom, Thanks for the kind comments.

I am not sure you remember but we met when I was the Art Director for the Petersen Automotive Museum. You were set up in the Penthouse with many drawings and Model kits if I remember correctly during an event.

Best,

Jim

#12642 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,067 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 00:04

1932 GeeBee Racer:

Posted Image

Cutaway by Tom Johnson.

#12643 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:11

Hi Tom, Thanks for the kind comments.

I am not sure you remember but we met when I was the Art Director for the Petersen Automotive Museum. You were set up in the Penthouse with many drawings and Model kits if I remember correctly during an event.

Best,

Jim

Wow, good memory. i was there with a group that was doing a modelkit display up there with builtups ... think it was a use of the meeting room or something like that. I am horrible at remembering names unless I know someone ahead, so wish I had been more aware. Always love meeting others who do this crazy stuff, and now I can add your name to the list. I assume you are still in the LA area, so maybe we will catch up again ... might want to make this happen.
Thanks for bringing that back and for remembering. I really do appreciate that.
Tom West

#12644 Jian10

Jian10

• 51 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 14:54

Here's a cutaway drawing of Heinkel He 219A-5 by John Weal.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Folks,
Thanks.
Tom

#12645 tbolt

tbolt

• 152 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 17:47

Leyland Eight artist Brian Hatton . Built around 1928 by Thompson and Taylor of Brooklands.
Posted Image

#12646 TWest

TWest

• 1,486 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:55

Thanks to you guys who have been responding. Some interesting subjects have been added, and appreciated.
TWest

#12647 312f1

312f1

• 40 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:36

And now for something completely different (in the interesting subjects category):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cutaways of some mythical Japanese movie monsters found in:
http://www.wackyowl....onster-autopsy/
http://boingboing.ne...panese-mov.html

Perhaps the artist is indicated but I can't tell...

Edited by 312f1, 24 May 2013 - 11:37.

#12648 Macca

Macca

• 3,304 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 13:11

Nuclear submarine HMS Swiftsure

Posted Image

Posted Image

Official Vickers cutaway (with deleted secret bits) scanned from a book - I'll let more skilled people stitch it together.............I don't have any software to do it well enough.

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 25 May 2013 - 09:54.

#12649 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 15:05

And now for something completely different (in the interesting subjects category):

Posted Image

The top one was featured - ooh, years ago. Interesting to see the others!

Page 85, post #3377

Edited by Tony Matthews, 24 May 2013 - 15:11.

#12650 Ventro

Ventro

• 22 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 16:38

Thank you, anyway!

What about this Corvette transmission:
Posted Image
I can't find a bigger one, again...

Dovatf, the ultrarare Ricardo Gearbox cutaway you previously mentioned was published in July-August, 2001 issue of Automotive Engineer (which I have in my collection). If mister Matthews gives us his kind permission, I can scan it for you.

About Corvette transmission - I believe this is Tremec T56 by David Kimble - he did almost all cutaways for C5. Unfortunately, I didn't find better picture (despite of intensive search) - so if you will find it, please let me know;-) However, I do have similar automatic unit for Cadillac XLR (essentially reskinned C5 with Northstar engine), also by D.Kimble - it may already be posted here, though. Hi-res link: http://imageshack.us...5l50em22xlr.jpg

Posted Image