Advertisement

#1452 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:07

First cutaway - Artist: Hostler?

Ibsen

John Hostler, Ibsen.
I only ever saw his cutaways in Autocar magazine. At the time Autocar was published by Iliffe Transport Publications, so I presume
he was their house artist. I am quite sure he did a lot of aircraft cutaways for Flight magazine, but I can't check because I cannot access
my aircraft library now.

#1453 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:33

I would be very pleased if no-one ever posted my M23 cutaway again - what a load of rubbish! Especially when compared with Brun Betti's version...

#1454 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 13:41

I would be very pleased if no-one ever posted my M23 cutaway again - what a load of rubbish! Especially when compared with Brun Betti's version...

Tony,

I like your M23 and the Lotus 77 cutaway. In your words, a very quick cutaway, not much information. I think they aren't rubbish.

Ibsen

#1455 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 16:02

Posted Image

Found a colour 308, ............Tony,...mind if I put it up ?

#1456 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 16:07

Found a colour 308, ............Tony,...mind if I put it up ?

That's fine, Marc. Sorry about the brown background, I was worried about a white car on a white background, a few years later I knew what to do! This is another original that has disappeared - and painted mainly with poster-paint, so probably rather odd-looking too - if it even exists.

Just realised that there was an inuendo in your post - I shall ignore it!

Ibsen - thanks.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 17 May 2009 - 16:08.

#1457 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 17:11

I shall ignore it!

please do...........

Posted Image

It's from a booklet about Team Hesketh, had to fill in about 5mm of centreline because the pages damaged slightly removing them to scan.

Just noted the B/W is signed behind the front wheel and the colour has your sig ahead of the rear one.

Edited by macoran, 17 May 2009 - 17:19.

#1458 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 17:56

Just noted the B/W is signed behind the front wheel and the colour has your sig ahead of the rear one.

I like to throw in a little unpredictability every now and again, just to keep people on their toes! What a grisly bit of colour artwork. Most of my first attempts were poor, I think the Tyrrell 007 was the best of a bad bunch.

I wrote the silly captions for the 'photo album' section of that Hesketh booklet too, after no-one else had shown any interest in doing it - this was at LAT - and when I saw Barry Gill, of GBM/CSS, who produced the booklet, shortly afterwards at Brands Hatch he was full of enthusiasm, very pleased with my effort, and said I'd done such a good job he was going to pay me £50 extra. I'm still waiting....

#1459 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 18:05

QUOTE (Rancethebus @ May 16 2009, 14:11)
Was that a Matthews original?

macoran
LAT publishing 30 x 20 print

What does constitute a Matthews original Tony ?

Advertisement

#1460 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 18:28

Tony, Tony, Tony - do you have any idea of the dreadful effect Miss Syrup's revelations about her great-niece is having on my young chum Bingo? He had always believed that she was as pure as the morning dew on a lovely English rose, but now . . . he is quite off his oats and has taken to the bottle. What am I to do?

Tim, I mentioned your concerns about Bingo to Gwendolyn, and although a little dismissive at first, she mellowed after a fifth gin and tonic and said that, yes, it was unfortunate that so many, many young men became besotted with Honoria. She has always been aware of Honoria's fatal attractivness, which, allied with her availability, is heady stuff for all but the least romantic of men. Honoria's life has mirrored Gwendolyn's in surprising detail, even the de-flowering by a member (pun intended) of the Royal Family at just thirteen, followed by becoming the toast of London society, Parliament, the City and every Rugby ground within a long taxi-ride of Bayswater, by which I think she means from Cornwall to Newcastle.

Gwendolyn suggested that a good dose of oats might be the very thing to comfort and strengthen young Bingo, in other words to adopt Honoria's own modus operandi, and throw himself whole-heartedly into many, many affairs. As for the bottle, a couple of Jereboams a night should do no harm as long as he works it off!

The Sony Vaio was covered by insurance, and although she is still a little wary of her new machine, she hopes to be able to contribute personally in the near future. I have advised her to keep her pink gin a little further from the keyboard. She has, I should report, given me a full view of her enbonpoint and, whilst there is still some sign of the heat that it was subjected to, the new fullness is very impressive, and there is a youthfull firmness that she is rather pleased with. It's an ill wind...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 18 May 2009 - 12:29.

#1461 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 18:33

What does constitute a Matthews original Tony ?

Well Marc, all I can say is - not a print! Which one was it that you were after? I imagine you mean one of the set of four large (full size) marketed by LAT. I have no idea how many were printed or sold. I guess a lot were pulped.

#1462 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,532 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 19:03

Gwendolyn suggested that a good dose of oats might be the very thing to comfort and strengthen young Bingo ...

She may well be right, but I have my doubts. Perhaps a large measure of Syrup might stiffen the old sinews a bit.

#1463 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 16:47

She may well be right, but I have my doubts. Perhaps a large measure of Syrup might stiffen the old sinews a bit.

( I am bowing and on both knees before King Tony Matthews)....One thing I must comment about regarding your work Tony. Your illustrations still have an outstanding and unique quality when reduced in viewing size. Most technical art tends to get muddied up when shrunken but yours still retains its remarkable richness of rendering and communicative attributes. Absolute magic and I tip me hat! :up: :up: :up:

Tom

Edited by Tom Johnson, 18 May 2009 - 16:48.

#1464 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 17:34

Well Marc, all I can say is - not a print!

I was after 2 of the 4 Tony. The 917 and the DN1.

What I really meant to ask, when I asked what constituted an original was.... were there runs of prints offered
as one so often sees for Michael Turner prints, numbered and signed ?
Or/And.... when and how were they offered, as I seem to have missed all the ads for them.

#1465 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 17:44

... when shrunken but yours still retains its remarkable ...

Tom

Nothing shrunken here, Tom...!

It is a problem - reducing technical illustrations - I always worked to the rough guide that a cutaway, starting at about 20"x30", would be reproduced at anywhere between 12"x16" and A4, roughly 12"x8". Much smaller than that, and Motor Sport used an FW07 and something else about 6 years ago reduced to about 1½"x1", and it is a complete waste of artwork in my opinion. One of the advantages of B&W linework was that it would, assuming proper litho preparation, reproduce well at a small size on medium quality paper, but that doesn't seem to hold true anymore, probably due to the dreaded digitization effect. Colour seems to be affected to a lesser degree, certainly colour printing has really improved over the years - I am astounded by the quality in the daily papers, on newsprint.

Thank you for your very kind comments Tom, but bowing and kneeling at the same time is not to be recomended, and in Court Circles has actually been banned, not so much because of the high incidence, amongst the older courtiers, of multiple hernias, but the very real threat of the dreaded augmented fart, known as 'coughing in the britches'.

#1466 DOHC

DOHC

• 11,861 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 19:16

Posted Image

This thread is just fantastic, with so many interesting and beautiful drawings!

Concerning the one above, it brings back nice memories. I must say that was (and still am) quite fond of Werner Bührer's drawings, and I just dug up my Marlboro Grand Prix Guide from 1972 (covering the 1971 season) and the sequel Grand Prix Guide 1973 (covering the 1972 season. All the drawings there are Bührer drawings, similar to the M23 above. They are all really nice, although his style emphasized an artistic style more than a strict technical drawing. These two books also have his drawings of some classic cars, like Sir Stirling and Jenks in the legendary Mille Miglia in the #722 Mercedes, or the 1927 Bentley 3-litre. Those are in ink only though, with no color, and they are possibly even better drawings.

I know very little about the careers of these artists. Don't wish to detract from the marvellous work by this thread's maestro, but what happened to Bührer?

#1467 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 20:28

I was after 2 of the 4 Tony. The 917 and the DN1.

What I really meant to ask, when I asked what constituted an original was.... were there runs of prints offered
as one so often sees for Michael Turner prints, numbered and signed ?
Or/And.... when and how were they offered, as I seem to have missed all the ads for them.

The large prints - which were very well printed, I was pleased when I first saw them at LAT - were advertised in Motoring News, possibly Motor Sport too, in, I think, late 1973. My job book tells me I was preparing the artwork - adding badges and titles - and the layout for the advertisement in September and October '73, I imagine that the idea was to get the ad. into the mag. before Crimble. The ad. showed the Porsche 917/10 held by a girl called Carol, who was a MN secretary, and whom I lusted after.

I have no idea how many where printed, but there was quite a large pile of 'em in Alf's Packing and Posting mini-warehouse outside my office. Niether do I know how many were sold - I would guess not many at all. They were not numbered or signed. I have signed a few print runs in the past, and it ain't much fun, as you have to be very carefull not to mark the prints, and it takes up quite a space - you realy need a helping hand in taking prints off the pile, signing and numbering, then placing them in another pile face down so the numbering order is correct when the pile is up-ended, numero uno on top. Sounds exciting, doesn't it? Another problem is that it is so mind-numbing that I have been known to forget which number comes next, and miss-spelt my name! One hundred is not too bad, but 500 or more is a killer. It is imperative to have more than you need, as mistakes will happen. Any left-overs have to be destroyed. It says here...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 18 May 2009 - 20:29.

#1468 clint_mg

clint_mg

• 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 20:53

Two classics absent in this amazing collection:

1954 Mercedes Benz W196
Posted Image

1963 Porsche 911
Posted Image

Sources:
http://www.georgecus...Spaceframe.html
http://www.ausmotive...ay-graphic.html

:wave:
Regards

#1469 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 21:42

This thread is just fantastic, with so many interesting and beautiful drawings!
I know very little about the careers of these artists. Don't wish to detract from the marvellous work by this thread's maestro, but what happened to Bührer?

I am still trying to find out how Werner is.

He is surely one of my favourite "detail artists", although since his work was mostly confined to Road&Track publications, we never saw enough of him.
Paulo d'Alessio and Giorgio Piola have taken his place in modern F1, and they put in an amazing amount of work every/every other GP weekend
to get us the detail drawings of the minute, sidepod/barge board/front wing endplate/rear wing thingamybob changes.

Of the cutaway artists, Cavara has been praised to high heaven for his work. I have just again perused his book Ai Raggi X, and now know why I decided
to put it into consignment to sell.....I don't think he is that good after all.

Here is his Sharknose,,,
Posted Image
and while I am on Sharknoses, here is Gordon Bruce's as well.
Posted Image

Now, that makes it 6 or 7 Sharknoses/Sharknice ? since we cannot access the Sergio Barrato one.

Edited by macoran, 18 May 2009 - 21:52.

#1470 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:54

Wow,a Zakspeed Capri.This is a real treat for me as this is one of my favorite cars of all time. I just loved them. My other favorite was the Lancia Beta Montecarlo. Thanks for the post!!

Edited by DHFiallo, 19 May 2009 - 02:01.

#1471 DOHC

DOHC

• 11,861 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:34

I am still trying to find out how Werner is.

He is surely one of my favourite "detail artists", although since his work was mostly confined to Road&Track publications, we never saw enough of him.
Paulo d'Alessio and Giorgio Piola have taken his place in modern F1, and they put in an amazing amount of work every/every other GP weekend
to get us the detail drawings of the minute, sidepod/barge board/front wing endplate/rear wing thingamybob changes.

Well, to me Bührer's style is interesting, because while it is artistic, it is also technically correct, striking a nice balance between art and engineering. On the artistic side, Bührer typically made his drawings in quite exciting perspectives. Just look at that M23! The perspective is sort of "wide-angle" (to use a photographic term), which creates a sense of presence -- one is "near" the car. And then the drawings are also stylish with their distinct and confident hand drawing character, which I admire very much.

When it comes to detail, I suppose we all know that a drawing is usually more clear and revealing than a photo, but Bührer combines this virtue with placing his eye where it would typically see the cars at close range, in the paddock, creating that interesting perspective.

#1472 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:25

Now, that makes it 6 or 7 Sharknoses/Sharknice ? since we cannot access the Sergio Barrato one.

Hi Marc,

Sharknose cutaway artists: Cavara, Giulio Betti, James Allington, Paolo D'Alesio, Kane Rogers, Serge Bellu, Sergio Baratto. Someone more?

Ibsen

#1473 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 16:44

Hi Marc,

Sharknose cutaway artists: Cavara, Giulio Betti, James Allington, Paolo D'Alesio, Kane Rogers, Serge Bellu, Sergio Baratto. Someone more?

Ibsen

Post #1470......Gordon Bruce, but I am not sure of d'Allesio, he was more of a period GP artist and didn't do much "history" as far as I know.

#1474 Manel Bar

Manel Bar

• 134 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 18:21

Of the cutaway artists, Cavara has been praised to high heaven for his work. I have just again perused his book Ai Raggi X, and now know why I decided
to put it into consignment to sell.....I don't think he is that good after all.
[/quote]

Agreed: he might be not that good to the eye of a nowaday's scrutiner, his perspective drawings were somewhat unortodox ... Period repro-ware was not excellent neither...however, he probably was the guy who offered the first stripped Italian racing cars to the avid postwar car nuts. You'll recall for instance, four cutaways of GC. backed the Press Release Ferrari launch in 1947. IMHO, he deserves praise for his service to the enthusiast community.

#1475 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 22:30

Post #1470......Gordon Bruce, but I am not sure of d'Allesio, he was more of a period GP artist and didn't do much "history" as far as I know.

The signature is slightly blurred, but I can read P. D'Alessio, or am I wrong?

Posted Image

Ibsen
http://public.fotki.com/ibsenop/

#1476 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 00:11

The signature is slightly blurred, but I can read P. D'Alessio, or am I wrong?

Posted Image

Ibsen

Well!!! I'll be darned.............you are right !!!! fantastic find !!!

Was this in an article on Ferrari in Autosprint ??

I should learn to keep my big mouth shut sometimes.

:up: :up:

Edited by macoran, 21 May 2009 - 00:23.

#1477 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:51

I don't remember where I founf it. It is a shame that it is low res.

I took count of eigth different Sharknose cutaway artists up to now:
Cavara, Giulio Betti, James Allington, Paolo D'Alesio, Kane Rogers, Serge Bellu, Sergio Baratto and Gordon Bruce.

Ibsen

#1478 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:53

Well!!! I'll be darned.............you are right !!!! fantastic find !!!

Was this in an article on Ferrari in Autosprint ??

I should learn to keep my big mouth shut sometimes.

:up: :up:

Marc, when do you sleep? I am beginning to worry about your health...

#1479 Paulo Coimbra

Paulo Coimbra

• 75 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:06

Hi Tony, Marc, Ibsen,...
Do you Know some cutaway of these fantastic cars? Parnelli ' 72 and Coyote ' 73...
rgds :up:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#1480 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:43

Hi Tony, Marc, Ibsen,...
Do you Know some cutaway of these fantastic cars? Parnelli ' 72 and Coyote ' 73...
rgds :up:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the Parnelli VPJ2 for you Paulo

#1481 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:44

Marc, when do you sleep? I am beginning to worry about your health...

Thanks for your concern Tony, I am pushing myself to the limit. I promise I'll take it easier from now on :up:

#1482 Paulo Coimbra

Paulo Coimbra

• 75 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 13:16

Thank you Marc,
As Tony said, it is a simple cutaway, but it shows the interesting solution for the front suspension, with a small and fine hooker. Very intelligent!
The chassis Indy are fantastic in terms of solutions, doesn't it find?
rgds

#1483 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,188 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 13:50

Maybe one of you computer "gurus" can stitch this together, if you feel it is worth doing so. I do not recall seeing this elsewhere on the thread, apologies if I missed it and this is repetitious.

Jerry Kroninger, who was the Sun Oil Company engineer who worked with Mark Donohue and Team Peanske sent me a beautiful piece called The CAM2 Motor Oil/ Penske Racing Book. This is the center page of the large format booklet. The cover is a photo of the car that is identical in it's size and presentation as the cutaway. Under the right rear suspension arm is the signature, Fornander. I've looked at each page of the booklet and I see no copyright listed, only FORM NO A-6347 - If this is going to cause any problems, let me know and I will delete the two images. Thanks for the help.

Brian Brown

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1484 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 14:21

I think you will have a bit missing down the middle, Brian!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 21 May 2009 - 14:22.

#1485 Paulo Coimbra

Paulo Coimbra

• 75 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 14:29

Brian, Hi...
Lack a part of the drawing...
He was like this...
rgds

Posted Image

#1486 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,188 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 14:47

Posted Image

Gentlemen - My humble apologies for my lack of attention to that detail. I hope this will get the mission accomplished. Thanks again for the help and sorry for the extra work.

Brian

#1487 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 14:55

Gentlemen - My humble apologies for my lack of attention to that detail. I hope this will get the mission accomplished. Thanks again for the help and sorry for the extra work. Brian

Ooh! I just love that extra leg-room!

#1488 Paulo Coimbra

Paulo Coimbra

• 75 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 15:02

Brian
rgds

Posted Image

#1489 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 15:06

Gentlemen - My humble apologies for my lack of attention to that detail. I hope this will get the mission accomplished. Thanks again for the help and sorry for the extra work.

Brian

A bit of paint and some cutting and pasting letters, feels like kindergarten again

Posted ImagePosted Image
haha Paolo ya beat me to it

BTW Ibsen posted the B/W some pages ago

Edited by macoran, 21 May 2009 - 15:43.

#1490 Paulo Coimbra

Paulo Coimbra

• 75 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 15:37

Oh Yeah!

Hi Marc!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!
thank you!

Edited by Paulo Coimbra, 21 May 2009 - 15:38.

#1491 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,188 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 16:41

Well done gentlemen! :up: I appreciate the help -

Brian

#1492 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 23:47

1963 Atilla Ford
Cutaway artist: Gordon Bruce

Posted Image

Ibsen

#1493 Paulo Coimbra

Paulo Coimbra

• 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 00:52

Friends,
One more chassis Indy car full of innovative solutions as asymmetric suspensions. LOLA T90 1966
rgds

Posted Image

#1494 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:14

Motor magazine published a series of cutaways years ago under the title "Circuit Classics".
I have five of them.
Nr.2 1936/1937 Auto Union Type C by Terry Collins
Nr.3 Alfa Romeo 158/159 by Lawrence Watts
Nr.4 Maserati 250 F by Tony Matthews '81
Nr.6 1959 Cooper Climax by Tony Matthews '81
Nr.8 Mercedes W196 by Tony Matthews '82

So, only because Tony dated his cutaways do we have an indication when Motor published this series.

Have any of you kept copies of this series ? Do you know which cars the missing numbers were about?

Motor was a large magazine in those days A4+, so these cutaways (centrespreads) will be difficult to scan
properly, but I'll do my best.

Edited by macoran, 23 May 2009 - 19:11.

#1495 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:26

Motor magazine published a series of cutaways years ago under the title "Circuit Classics".
I have five of them.

BRM V16 was done for that short series too, Marc.

#1496 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:30

BRM V16 was done for that short series too, Marc.

Thanks Tony, do you perchance know which Nr. ? that would've been ?

#1497 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:37

Thanks Tony, do you perchance know which Nr. ? that would've been ?

Do you mean which magazine issue #/date? I've been looking for a trannie of the W196 to no avail. I know I had several, but lost for the moment.

Edited to say I should have read your post properly Marc! I'll check....

Edited by Tony Matthews, 23 May 2009 - 10:39.

#1498 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 14:53

I have five of them.
Posted Image

So, only because Tony dated his cutaways do we have an indication when Motor published this series.

Have any of you kept copies of this series ? Do you know which cars the missing numbers were about?

Motor was a large magazine in those days A4+, so these cutaways (centrespreads) will be difficult to scan

Edited by macoran, 23 May 2009 - 19:12.

#1499 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 814 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 17:37

Marc,
Thank you for the Nr.2 1936/1937 Auto Union Type C by Terry Collins.
Please, post all the others.

Brabham BT52 BMW Turbo
Cutaway by Sergio Baratto from Autocollezioni Magazine #33 February 2006. A very expensive magazine here in Brasil.

Posted Image

Ibsen

Advertisement

#1500 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 19:11

I have five of them.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 24 May 2009 - 19:09.