Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13303 replies to this topic

#1851 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:16

Just to stay a little more with the french touch , here's one of the most famous french rally-trainer car

Posted Image

Christophe

Hi Christophe, yes, Marc, and Ibsen, they are two of a kind, natural archivists, and so knowledgeable! They put me to shame, I know very little about the work of other illustrators apart from James Allington and me, and even that knowledge sometimes slips!

'Auto Passion' used a few of my cutaways, some years ago, but they were re-prints of cutaways comissioned by others, but then, not many car magazines have the budgets to comission work, or if they have the money, they are not inclined to spend it on artwork.

I always liked the R4, I have never driven one or even been a passenger, but they look friendly. Probably very dangerous compared to even the worst modern small car, you wouldn't want to be in a 'priority a droit' accident in an R4!

Even if it was 'Dauphin Gratinois' I'm sure Marc would have eaten it after that epic drive, I felt as though I was on the trip with him!

Advertisement

#1852 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 13:52

french rally-trainer car...
Reminds me on a pretty funny story from some years back. A guy in the village I live in used to drive a R4 and he had it suited up which means he had 4(!) additional headlights mounted on top of the front bumper. One day he had to take the car to the bi-annual technical inspection like any other vehicle in germany as well. Everything went well until the examiner asked him to unlock/open the hood. When he mounted the headlights he forgot that the hood opens to the front... :rotfl:

And now for something completely different:

Posted Image

Thanks to Lola Cars. :up:
PS: sorry if this has been posted before...

#1853 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 14:07

When he mounted the headlights he forgot that the hood opens to the front... :rotfl:

CRUNCH!

And now for something completely different:

Posted Image

Thanks to Lola Cars. :up:
PS: sorry if this has been posted before...

That's nice, DM, yet another that I haven't seen before. I went to Lola, then somewhere in North London, I think, when Jim Allington did a cutaway of the GT, and I remember a very large NACA duct in the roof, feeding the carbs, it seems to be missing in Vic Berris' drawing. So many similarities with the GT40, which is not surprising, I suppose the biggest mechanical difference is that the front space-frame was dropped and the fabricated chasssis extended. I wonder how many cars used the Mk 1 Ford Cortina rear light cluster? At one time it was everywhere!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 27 June 2009 - 14:08.

#1854 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 15:25

Lola built 3 Mk6 GT according to their website. All the rearview shots that come up through a google picture search show the same tail lights.

The Howmet turbine car had them as well. Has anybody a cutaway of that?

#1855 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 18:36

Lola built 3 Mk6 GT according to their website. All the rearview shots that come up through a google picture search show the same tail lights.

TVR used them on at least one of their models. I assume the appeal was that it was a nice, neat design, you only had to cut one hole per unit and they were probably cheap, certainly plentiful. Everytime I see one I am reminded of my Lotus Cortina, that was a nice little car...

#1856 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 20:19

Ho , btw it's "Gratin Dauphinois" and not "Dauphin Gratinois" ( wich sound good too i agree ) , just like if you talked about roastoes potated or something like that....
Christophe

Aarghhh !!!
Either I have been eating something completely different to what I ordered or.............. You are correct of course, Dauphin Gratinois even sounds very cruel to the beautiful animal
that one might think of.

Funny, whenever I've been away on biznizz trips, I've always had a problem with time, and choosing what to eat.
There are quite a few places across Europe, where the serving personnel no longer bothered to offer me the menu, because they knew I would always have the same.
Ask the chaps in the Chinese restaurant at Dovercourt. Whenever I came in, usually just in time for a bite to eat before the Harwich - Hoek of Holland ferry would depart,
they probably yelled to the kitchen...here's that Dutch guy coming in for his regular bowl of Soodle Noup !!!

Well, to get back on track again... here is what I have Howmet TX wise, just a wee hint of the rear lights, but no accentuation to indicate Cortina Mk 1 clusters.

Posted Image

And...you mentioned Ford GT ?
Posted Image
No clue as to the artist though.

Edited by macoran, 27 June 2009 - 20:37.

#1857 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 20:54

There are quite a few places across Europe, where the serving personnel no longer bothered to offer me the menu, because they knew I would always have the same.
Ask the chaps in the Chinese restaurant at Dovercourt. Whenever I came in, usually just in time for a bite to eat before the Harwich - Hoek of Holland ferry would depart,
they probably yelled to the kitchen...here's that Dutch guy coming in for his regular bowl of Soodle Noup !!!

Posted Image

I don't eat as much Chinese as I used to, but it is weird, every time I go into the Hitchin Chop Suey Bar I peruse the extensive menue, suck my cheeks for a couple of minutes, and Sue or Kathleen will say 'Hello Tony, BBQ spare rib in sauce, House Special Fried Rice, Fried King Prawn, Green Pepper, Black Bean Sauce, Spring Roll, portion Fried Soft Noodle...' and I will say 'Yes please, that sound good!' Always the same, and really wonderful.

Don't know who did the GT40, Marc, can't quite place the style. Jim and I did the illustrations for the GT40 manual, that was an interesting job. Funny thing is, we had talked for months about how nice it would be to do the manual for that car, as a change from run-of-the-mill Ford saloons, and blow me down, we got a phone call...

#1858 ABG

ABG

• 59 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 21:54

Aarghhh !!!
Either I have been eating something completely different to what I ordered or.............. You are correct of course, Dauphin Gratinois even sounds very cruel to the beautiful animal
that one might think of.

Funny, whenever I've been away on biznizz trips, I've always had a problem with time, and choosing what to eat.

Well, to get back on track again... here is what I have Howmet TX wise, just a wee hint of the rear lights, but no accentuation to indicate Cortina Mk 1 clusters.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Marc, figured it was about time I thanked you for all the time and effort you've spent sharing your collection.
Reference the GT40, I think the artist may be Vic Berris. The style seems much like the Ferguson Novi posted earlier, particularly the airflow indications. Of course couldn't close out my first post without a request, in fact two. First something from Max Millar. I've only found two works of his on the web and another two from "Cars in Profile", one a lovely 1958 Vanwall that rivals the Vanwall of Allington. Second any work of Allington of a subject of a later vintage than his Ferrari Daytona, did he render anything from the 70's.

#1859 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:08

Irish Mariner
Tony, them 'unfinished' gearbox drawings are amazing. In particular, the RALT one caught my attention. The detailing around the diff is top-notch. Well done. At this point of the thread, you could post a picture of the brown ring left by your coffee cup and we'd both save it and ask to see the working drawings!

Posted Image

Un-earthed the working drawing of the Ralt gearbox, it was a nice project, I was given a bare case to take home and play with, plus a few bits and some drawings, plus, of course, my photos. No particularly interesting tooth-forms, but at least I wasn't under orders to change anything, unlike the Audi box, where very little - in the way of gears and dogs - is accurate. I really enjoyed constructing helical bevel gears, getting them to mesh and look right, although I suppose if I constructed them correctly they had to look right!

Mind you, if you want to see gears, there's a feast of 'em in Hellboy Two, especially the mechanical army!

I'm hard at work on the coffee-stain, IM, watch this space...Ooops! Damn, smudged it...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 28 June 2009 - 10:26.

Advertisement

#1860 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 13:08

Reference the GT40, I think the artist may be Vic Berris.

Talking 'bout Vic Berris:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Apparently he did also a 1st generation Opel Manta. http://www.motoringa.../Berris Vic.pdf
Anybody has it?

About the Howmet TX: I've seen plenty of pictures of it and always wondered where that car had the radiator(s). I just realized: it doesn't need one in the first place...

Edited by Duc-Man, 28 June 2009 - 13:31.

#1861 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 16:20

Posted Image

Ford GT cutaway artist: Dick Ellis

Posted Image

and here one by Theo Page

Posted Image

Ibsen

#1862 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 17:43

Typical - 'I'll just clean the background, get rid of the crap - Ooh, there's some writing here, looks like a name, oh well, bye bye...' The weird thing is, the shadow was removed too...

This is where Marc admits he did it after a few beers... I may have to apologise!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 28 June 2009 - 17:44.

#1863 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 21:07

Marc, figured it was about time I thanked you for all the time and effort you've spent sharing your collection.
Reference the GT40, I think the artist may be Vic Berris. The style seems much like the Ferguson Novi posted earlier, particularly the airflow indications. Of course couldn't close out my first post without a request, in fact two. First something from Max Millar. I've only found two works of his on the web and another two from "Cars in Profile", one a lovely 1958 Vanwall that rivals the Vanwall of Allington. Second any work of Allington of a subject of a later vintage than his Ferrari Daytona, did he render anything from the 70's.

Thanks for your interest !! I am only too happy to share my hobby.
I had already been exchanging some cutaways with Anders Bonde.
So when Anders started this thread I thought, watch it Marc them moderators are going to kick your arse way off this board for posting
so much of other people's work.....you know...the copyright thingy.
But all has been going well, so I guess if we just post and pay due credit to artist and/or publisher we should have a safe haven here.

Now...you are asking me for Max Millar material, and you can bet your bottom dollar I have some somewhere.......just that Mr. Millar was never one
of my favourites, and I'll have to dig deep to unearth what I do have... you will have to bide your time.
James Allington......about the only cutaway I haven't posted yet is the Ford Mk II.
Colour enhancement by my Brazilian cutaway mate Ibsen.
Posted Image

Tony Matthews could probably tell you what James Allington's most recent rendering was.

While we are at it...you of course may also post what you have...........I don't think we've seen too many Vanwalls pass throught here yet .

Edited by macoran, 28 June 2009 - 22:12.

#1864 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 21:11

Ford GT cutaway artist: Dick Ellis

Posted Image
Ibsen

I just knew Ibsen would come up with the goods !!! :up:
I've copied the credits and pasted them onto my cutaway.

#1865 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 21:25

Another Ford GT cutaway by Theo Page

Posted Image

Lola Mk6 cutaway by Theo Page.

Posted Image

and a James Allington Ford Gt 40 MkI cutaway

Posted Image

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 28 June 2009 - 21:30.

#1866 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 21:33

Typical - 'I'll just clean the background, get rid of the crap - Ooh, there's some writing here, looks like a name, oh well, bye bye...' The weird thing is, the shadow was removed too...

This is where Marc admits he did it after a few beers... I may have to apologise!

"hips"
I have this great 21" monitor, and a few years ago I just got fed up looking at two page spread cutaways scanned from magazines with a crease line and staple holes
running down the middle. Or worse.......cutaways printed on two adjacent pages where the idiot ignoramus magazine editor hadn't considered that somewhere, sometime
some Dutch bloke would want to collect cutaways thirty years later on !!! If only they had had the foresight to print the drawings with some overlap.
I started re-filing my cutaways some time ago, because the right side of the left hand page would get dirtier as it was on the outside of the file, whereas the left side of the
right page would always have the perforation holes. With use and frequent viewing, the perforations holes would suffer wear and tear.
"hips"
I have probably reworked every cutaway I have posted, and guess what ??

The worst cutaways to have to rework ??

are Tony Matthews' .......especially where there is a few millimeters of centre divide missing !!

Why ??????? easy... the man puts so much detail in his work, try filling in the empty space ! Look at the Bugatti.....darn thing took me ages !!

Oh...and yes my favourite beverage is (a) beer while I am at it !

Edited by macoran, 28 June 2009 - 22:32.

#1867 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 21:55

Oh...and yes my favourite beverage is a beer while I am at it !

Plenty of sayings all over the world about drinksh I shuppose.
You can't walk on one leg, so you'll have to have seconds.......
A beer is worth two slices of brown bread.....just don't eat a whole loaf !!

My!! my!! Marc you are getting talkative.... well you know just sticking a piccie up on the net ain't not everything, so I have decided
to add a bit of chit chat.

#1868 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:24

Ford GT40 by Hatton

Posted Image

Ford GT40 by Bruno Betti

Posted Image

and Ford GT40 - Cutaway artist??

Posted Image

Ibsen

#1869 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:12

I have probably reworked every cutaway I have posted, and guess what ?? The worst cutaways to have to rework ??...are Tony Matthews' .......especially where there is a few millimeters of centre divide missing !!

Why ??????? easy... the man puts so much detail in his work, try filling in the empty space ! Look at the Bugatti.....darn thing took me ages !!

Marc, I apologise! If I had known, back then, that you would be struggling with this problem I would have added a few millimetres in the middle, just stretched it a bit...

#1870 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 15:21

Marc, I apologise! If I had known, back then, that you would be struggling with this problem I would have added a few millimetres in the middle, just stretched it a bit...

I can hear it now. "Tony, this drawing of the XYZ seems a bit off. The wheelbase seems stretched." Tony, "Well, well yes it is. I know that you dunderheads will ruin my impeccable work by putting staples in the middle of it, and I want future connoisseurs of my work to have a fix around it." :)

#1871 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 16:21

I can hear it now. "Tony, this drawing of the XYZ seems a bit off. The wheelbase seems stretched." Tony, "Well, well yes it is. I know that you dunderheads will ruin my impeccable work by putting staples in the middle of it, and I want future connoisseurs of my work to have a fix around it." :)

Exactly, DHF, I should have but I didn't and now I have to live with it. IT'S ALL MY FAULT...!

#1872 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 343 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 00:56

Trying to sort the mess on a hard drive, I came accross this BRM P133 by Vittorio del Basso, from a Powerslide magazine issue :

Posted Image

:wave:

Edited by Frank Verplanken, 01 July 2009 - 00:57.

#1873 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:25

Trying to sort the mess on a hard drive, I came accross this BRM P133 by Vittorio del Basso, from a Powerslide magazine issue :

Posted Image

:wave:

That's nice, but I get the impression that Vittorio was handycap'd by lack of information, I can sympathise with that. What happened to 'Powerslide' magazine? I remember it as an interesting but low-budget affair in the early seventies - or am I thinking about another publication altogether?

#1874 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 17:31

Oy, Tony,

I've just noticed that you're credited with 3,238 posts since August 2008 - that's almost 10 post per day. Now whose fault is that? :cat:

Anytrack, what's the story behind your Frazer Nash avatar?

#1875 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 796 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 20:36

Bonde:

I was going to wait til Tony's 1st anniversary here on TNF before posting re his numerous contributions. Heaven only knows what the count will be by then! :)

#1876 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 21:50

Bonde:

I was going to wait til Tony's 1st anniversary here on TNF before posting re his numerous contributions. Heaven only knows what the count will be by then! :)

I am blushing. I know I post far too much, most of it rubbish, I often mean to give it a break, but then I see an interesting post and feel compeled to respond. My mother told me, decades ago, that when I was a very small boy and taken to parties I would stand quietly to one side for a long time, but by the end of the party I was organising all the games - perhaps I haven't changed! I don't have much to contribute but enthusiasm and a thirst for knowledge, but I will try to shut up for a while.

You'd be horrified by the number of comments I write and then delete before posting!

#1877 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 22:42

but I will try to shut up for a while.

Oh my gosh !!!! I thought I had hurt Tony's feelings, but you guys have done it now !!!!!

Edit...........my computer is on the blink, so I can't post any images, just phone in my text, {:-(

Edited by macoran, 01 July 2009 - 22:58.

#1878 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 23:55

No hurt feelings here...!

#1879 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 19:28

No hurt feelings here...!

Ah terrific :up: now we all can be merry cutaway men again :lol:

Here are two good Cavaras from his book Ai Raggi X.
F1 cars of which I daresay NO-ONE else made cutaways.
The 1963 ATS ----(probably later day Derrington-Francis)
Posted Image
and the 1962 De Tomaso F1
Posted Image

In both I see some chassis tubes which seem out of line, making the spaceframes look as if they have suffered accident damage.
Tony can probably explain whats wrong with me eyes.

Edited by macoran, 02 July 2009 - 19:47.

Advertisement

#1880 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 19:53

Aother question I would like to pose, and I am very curious as to the answer..........
Why did James Allington choose a vanishing point behind his back. I've seen a few cutaways (among the this 49) where he has done this.
Is it to gain space to better show the furthest away details ?
Posted Image

#1881 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 20:21

Aother question I would like to pose, and I am very curious as to the answer..........
Why did James Allington choose a vanishing point behind his back. I've seen a few cutaways (among the this 49) where he has done this.
Is it to gain space to better show the furthest away details ?
Posted Image

Marc, you are mistaken, in that the vanishing point is beyond the car, although the angle between the two axis is quite small - if I had the software I would draw the lines on the illustration. I think the problem is that there is a degree of optical illusion, the RH front tyre looks to be larger in diameter than the left, and there are other anomolies. Jim was a superb illustrator, and he had a very good engineering background, but, and I hesitate to criticize any illustrator, let alone Jim, he was not as meticulous as me regarding perspective or scale. Don't forget, he worked to very tight deadlines, and all his drawings were sketched out from scratch, no overall photographs, that I can remember, to help.

And now to stick the knife in someone who can't respond - I pointed out to Jim shortly after he had finished the Lotus 49 that he had drawn the RH rear wheel centre, the cast spokes, much larger than the LH rear wheel. I did this with trepidation, and with no thought of point-scoring, but to give him the chance to correct it. Unfortunately it was too late, a print had gone to the commisioning magazine, and although cross with himself, he never bothered to change it.

It was because I was so concerned about the perspective being right that I started using cotton thread and drawing pins to lay out the perspective lines on the drawing, usually only one-point, but occasionally two, rarely three-point. It depended on the subject.

#1882 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 20:26

In both I see some chassis tubes which seem out of line, making the spaceframes look as if they have suffered accident damage.
Tony can probably explain whats wrong with me eyes.

I don't realy want to comment on these, Marc, except to say that they are period pieces, they have a nice feel to them, but - well, put it this way, if this was the only information you had, I don't think it would be easy to build an accurate replica.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 03 July 2009 - 05:24.

#1883 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 20:34

Marc, you are mistaken, in that the vanishing point is beyond the car, although the angle between the two axis is quite small - if I had the software I would draw the lines on the illustration. I think the problem is that there is a degree of optical illusion, the RH front tyre looks to be larger in diameter than the left,

I was just beaming it on the wall in my study as your reply came in.
Yes, looking from afar, I can just distinguish the small angle between the axes of the vanishing point . On a monitor it is not really evident. The optical illusion because of the tyre sizes aggravate even more.
Before I had double clicked the thumbnail it was posted through, I first thought it was an Indy Lotus, as it looked offset on its suspension.

Edited by macoran, 02 July 2009 - 20:40.

#1884 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 20:39

I was just beaming it on the wall in my study as your reply came in.

Wow, how high-tech is that? Have you got a Bat-torch as well, Marc? Don't forget my PM, let me know...

#1885 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 21:06

Have you got a Bat-torch as well, Marc? Don't forget my PM, let me know...

No end of tricks up my sleeve Tony, I just loved ET, who could just point his ray-shooting finger at something and make stuff happen.

I also enjoy the odd prank now and then.

I was recently on a bit of a trip in the good ole Honda, doing a fair number of illegal clicks on the Autoroute, when a gent in a great big
Bimmer came honking past at hideous mph.
Now I am an avid photographer, and keep a camera under seat. So the right foot hits the loud pedal while the left hand gropes under the seat for the flash.
Flash is clicked on and loads and as I inch by inch try to reel him in, FLASH !!!
I have never seen anybody in a Bimmer unload the anchors the way he did !!
As I passed him I stuck up an admonishing finger, as ET would have done I am sure.
I love gadgets.

Now, I read about this man who lost his thumb in an accident. He has had a USB port surgically put in place.
Keeps his 8GB stick at hand....so to say !!
Speaking of gadgetry !

I won't forget !

#1886 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:50

Here are two good Cavaras from his book Ai Raggi X.
F1 cars of which I daresay NO-ONE else made cutaways.
The 1963 ATS ----(probably later day Derrington-Francis)

Marc,
Here is another ATS F1 1963 cutaway.
Who is the artist? Looks like a Vic Berris cutaway to me.

Posted Image

Tony, can I post your March 792 cutaway?

Ibsen

#1887 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 15:02

Flash is clicked on and loads and as I inch by inch try to reel him in, FLASH !!!
I have never seen anybody in a Bimmer unload the anchors the way he did !!

I did something similar in my teen-year. We were on a school trip to (IIRC) the technik museum in sinsheim. I checked/fired my flash in the bus because i wasn't sure about the batteries. You could feel the bus slowing down right afterwards.

Slamming the breaks after gettin flashed is actually bollocks. How likely is it that two speedtraps are set up right after each other?

#1888 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 16:05

Slamming the breaks after gettin flashed is actually bollocks.

Of course it is, but it's human nature! Like clamping your buttocks when going through an almost-impossible gap!

#1889 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 18:47

Slamming the breaks after gettin flashed

Is that lunch breaks or tea breaks ? I'd rather get brake flashed at tea time cos I think it'd be a lot more fun.
Come to think of it I think my pedal feels a bit mushy. I'll just mosey along and give my breaks a bleed job.

#1890 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 20:36

Marc,
Here is another ATS F1 1963 cutaway.
Who is the artist? Looks like a Vic Berris cutaway to me.

Posted Image

Ibsen

:up: Only Ibsen can prove me wrong, I've got to watch what I say
Could be Berris yes, but I'm not sure. may even be a Betti line job, and I'm not sniffing.

Edited by macoran, 03 July 2009 - 20:37.

#1891 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 23:04

and I'm not sniffing.

Marc, you are becoming very poetic and philosiphical - is it the heat?

#1892 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 23:35

Marc, you are becoming very poetic and philosiphical - is it the heat?

It's probably..........what do you say to the cop who caught you for speeding?
...I am running a bit late...why ?
...I overslept...why?
...I went to bed to late last night...why?
...because I had a beer too many in the pub.....

So yes Tony it maybe is the heat, but then if you get down to the gritty nitty....it is probably the refreshments one requires to recuperate combatting the heat.

Hah I wrote all that without editing or using spelling check !!
I'll have a laugh now...........excuse my Dutch...I am writing English................. haha

I've seen people excusing themselves unnecessarily so often I just wanted to do it once as well !!!

#1893 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 23:53

How likely is it that two speedtraps are set up right after each other?

How often do you cross from Glasgow to Aberdeen ?
It's damn Gatsos all over the place, my mate still has lumps on his forehead.
I have a nose for Gatsos, thats why they let me do all the long distance driving.

Hit your brakes hard, it wears them down less.....

Put my car in for service some time ago.
The engineer said the spindle bearings of my throttle butterfly were worn.
I told him he was an idiot.
How can my throttle spindle bearings wear when nothing moves ?
My throttle is either shut or wide open.

Edited by macoran, 04 July 2009 - 00:00.

#1894 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:59

Nissan R381 by...............
Posted Image
Can anyone identify the artist. Could it be Inomoto ?
I see most Inomoto cutaways signed with his name fully written, but do you know if he every only intialed his artwork with just the
curvaceous I ...or is it a J ?
Ibsen has a Porsche 906 with the same I, and neither one of us is sure who the artist is.

Edited by macoran, 05 July 2009 - 10:19.

#1895 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:17

I see most Inomoto cutaways signed with his name fully written, but do you know if he every only intialed his artwork with just the

Looks like an early Inomoto to me, and the initial looks like an 'I' - I can't see it as a 'J'.

#1896 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 15:13

Porsche 906
Cutaway artist?
Complementing Macoran question above.

Posted Image

Ibsen

#1897 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 16:44

Porsche 906
Cutaway artist?
Complementing Macoran question above.

Now that one, to me, does not look so much by Inomoto, so perhaps I was wrong with the last one!

#1898 ABG

ABG

• 59 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 16:53

Nissan R381 by...............
Posted Image
Ibsen has a Porsche 906 with the same I, and neither one of us is sure who the artist is.

Marc

Your drawing shows up in Ludvigsen's "The V12 Engine" as a Nissan R382 but without the I. It was attributed to Inomoto in the caption.
The Porsche 906 shows up in Ludvigsen's "Porsche, excellence was expected" without attribution, but the same drawing shows up in Inomoto's "Technical Art Exhibition" with a different shadowing technique and curiously without signature or initial. Would assume both are Inomoto. But then I assumed a Dick Ellis drawing was done by Vic Berris.

#1899 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 17:36

Marc

Your drawing shows up in Ludvigsen's "The V12 Engine" as a Nissan R382 but without the I. It was attributed to Inomoto in the caption.
The Porsche 906 shows up in Ludvigsen's "Porsche, excellence was expected" without attribution, but the same drawing shows up in Inomoto's "Technical Art Exhibition" with a different shadowing technique and curiously without signature or initial. Would assume both are Inomoto. But then I assumed a Dick Ellis drawing was done by Vic Berris.

Good info.
I have wondered why I wrote R381 on the back of the drawing, rather than R382.....I was young then.
Makoto Ouchi did a colour R382, so I'll have to check on R381/R382 history to see what the differences were between the two.
Here is the Ouchi R382

Posted Image

Tony, I had wondered the same when Ibsen showed me the 906, completely different level of detailing for an Inomoto
My assumption that they are Inomotos is based purely on the shape of the single I, as well as the same I coming back in his full name sig.

Edit......silly of me the R381 was the version with the 5.5l Chevy V8 entered because the Nissan/Prince V12 wasn't ready yet.

Edited by macoran, 05 July 2009 - 18:14.

Advertisement

#1900 ABG

ABG

• 59 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 19:46

Figured I would toss in a bit more on Inomoto. He seems to have been published in several very distinct styles. Additional work in the style of the Porsche 906 show up in The Automobile Quarterly book on the Corvette. If you look at his color work on the Khulsey site his Alfa is quite different from the race cars presented there as is the focus of attention. Guess it's all subjective.
The publication Automobile Quarterly is an excellent source of drawings, I acquired Kimble's 427 Cobra and Miller through them. The printing is excellent and while the drawings are spread across two pages you actually see the entire drawing. Volumes are available used.