• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:18

Bump!

Advertisement

#2152 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:25

Tony..............This type of determination must have been valuable when doing the cutaway illustrations.
cheers,
Steve

#2153 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:40

cutaheads

wazzat?

#2154 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:45

wazzat?

Hairdressers, Marc.

By the way, it's drifted back to four below now. Steve, I'm like a Jack Russel, only bigger...

#2155 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:56

I'm like a Jack Russel, only bigger...

does Jack do cutaheads as well ?

#2156 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:58

does Jack do cutaheads as well ?

Sometimes, so watch it... :mad:

#2157 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:02

I rather fancy being on top of Brian Hatton...

#2158 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:03

I rather fancy being on top of Brian Hatton...

Easy on Tony !! you are starting to chat to yourself !!

#2159 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:04

Steve, I'm like a Jack Russel, only bigger...

Tony.........I was told by the Brits that I worked for that Jack Russells were for export only. Any truth? Also, "cutahead" is the great gormless git that walked in front of me in the coffee shop this am.

Advertisement

#2160 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:06

I was just about to say, this is the sort of thing that can easily tip you over the edge...if I'm not there already!

Say Goodnight to Marc, Gwendolyn.

'Goodnight to Marc - was that all right? Is he a friend of yours, Tony dear?'

Edited by Tony Matthews, 12 August 2009 - 09:42.

#2161 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:09

I hope yessroman is taking notice of this or it's been a bloody waste of time and effort!

#2162 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:12

Marc old chap, I think you'll find you posted that last illustration on the wrong thread - laugh, I nearly paid for my own beer!

#2163 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:13

Good Night Gwendolyn,...of course Tony is a great friend! we are on the same wavelength as most of us are in Cutawayland.

#2164 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:14

Marc old chap, I think you'll find you posted that last illustration on the wrong thread - laugh, I nearly paid for my own beer!

I wunderd where the hell it went !

#2165 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:16

Cutawayland.

What a great name for the thread, if it was ever to change, I love it!

#2166 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:21

wondered..wonderd . so what as long as you understand what I mean.
I'm beginning to lose touch with proper spelling because of moderm msn chat and e-mail abbreviations
thye sya thta sa lnog sa the rihgt letters aer uesd on mettar hwo tyeh are aranrgde yuo shuodl be albe to raed waht is wrettin

#2167 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:23

I hope yessroman is taking notice of this or it's been a bloody waste of time and effort!

He is probably fed up with us, but we've had the laughs

#2168 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:24

Tony.........I was told by the Brits that I worked for that Jack Russells were for export only. Any truth? Also, "cutahead" is the great gormless git that walked in front of me in the coffee shop this am.

No, Steve, many Jack Russels here, but no doubt they are all over the World. Good little dogs. Yeah, great gormless gits are cutaheads!

#2169 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:26

thye sya thta sa lnog sa the rihgt letters aer uesd on mettar hwo tyeh are aranrgde yuo shuodl be albe to raed waht is wrettin

:rotfl:

I wunderd lonely as a cutahead...

Right, I'm off to Cutawayland...

#2170 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:32

Tony......................As I can read that, does it mean I should have a go at Welsh...........................or just English beer at dinner?

#2171 Esprit

Esprit

• 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 00:11

:cool:

#2172 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:34

Tony......................As I can read that, does it mean I should have a go at Welsh...........................or just English beer at dinner?

Welsh, apart from using a common alphabet, is deliberately constructed to be incomprehensible to Anglo-Saxon types, so that amusing and highly critical conversations can be conducted openly about non-Welsh, particularly English, visitors to Welsh pubs.

I can't speak for macoran, but I had one, fairly large, glass of red wine yesterday evening, with a substantial helping of Spanish omlette reducing its effectiveness. I can't drink beer the way I used to, I get filled up - perhaps I should adopt the 2010 F1 regs and fit a larger tank. But then, I enjoy refuelling...

#2173 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 17:36

I notice Joe Sheppard has been on top of Brian Hatton since 12:19...

#2174 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 18:57

I can't speak for macoran, but I had one, fairly large, glass of red wine yesterday evening, with a substantial helping of Spanish omlette reducing its effectiveness. I can't drink beer the way I used to, I get filled up - perhaps I should adopt the 2010 F1 regs and fit a larger tank. But then, I enjoy refuelling...

I can't manage on one drink.
I honour the timeless Dutch saying that you can't stand properly on one leg.
Another timeless saying is that you should always drink seated. That way once you have a lengthy sitting,
your rising centre of gravity won't cause you to topple over.
Anyways, to get down to details, I was on the shaken,not stirred stuff last night

#2175 alansart

alansart

• 4,052 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 19:59

I don't know why but I was reminded of this (just under 6 minutes in) right notes, just not in the right order.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

...and why do us illustrators have a reputation for drunking to mitch :smoking: :kiss: :drunk:

#2176 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 20:20

Alan.....................My Thanks for that link! I'm against a deadline, & needed a laugh (aside from reading the forums) to break the stress. Question, "Do illustrators truly drink too much, or does everyone else just drink too little?"......cheers!
Steve

#2177 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 20:40

Question, "Do illustrators truly drink too much, or does everyone else just drink too little?"......cheers!
Steve

Answer......one should always drink sufficiently !
Liquids are more important than food.

Being philosophical....think about this...artistically wise.

Paper is made from trees
Ink is made from coal.
Pencil lead is made from graphite
Paint is made from all kinds of coloured solid materials.

Now, the only way you are going to get a proper inked/pencilled or painted picture on a piece of tree is if you process all of those
base materials usings liquids so as to obtain workable artists materials.

Are you with me ?

Quod erat demonstrandum

Artistry is linked to the use of liquids in more ways than one !

Edited by macoran, 12 August 2009 - 20:42.

#2178 alansart

alansart

• 4,052 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 20:47

Answer......one should always drink sufficiently !
Liquids are more important than food.

Being philosophical....think about this...artistically wise.

Paper is made from trees
Ink is made from coal.
Pencil lead is made from graphite
Paint is made from all kinds of coloured solid materials.

Now, the only way you are going to get a proper inked/pencilled or painted picture on a piece of tree is if you process all of those
base materials usings liquids so as to obtain workable artists materials.

Are you with me ?

Quod erat demonstrandum

Artistry is linked to the use of liquids in more ways than one !

I'll drink to that :)

#2179 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 21:10

macoran...................As I tell "She Who Must be Obeyed" (a highly qualified nurse), that "certain" liquids are more important than food. After all, the more desirable liquids are derived from fruits, grains, etc. As such, they must be good for oneself.
Now back to my alcohol based pens...........................cheers!
Steve

Advertisement

#2180 Rancethebus

Rancethebus

• 52 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 21:18

I'll drink to that :)

On a slightly different tone, I am trying to assess how many professional technical illustrators are still working either in the UK or Europe. After recently going for a job interview, the employer (of a very large company) stated that they had not had any applications from tech illustrators for some time. If you are a technical illustrator that fits the description could you let me know where you are working and how many other illustrators are working there or of others you know of. My goal is to approach agencies (who employ most illustrators) with a view to raising the hourly rate that they are prepared to pay. We have always been paid a lower rate than technical authors. You can not train to become an illustrator any longer, hence the dwindling numbers. The largest number I am aware of is around 15 at Agusta-Westland.

#2181 1996900sp

1996900sp

• 36 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 21:43

I am a working Illustrator (not in Europe though) and just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed this thread as Tony Matthews is one of my all time inspirations and heroes. Viewing all the working drawings has just been incredible. Here is a drawing I did a while back while working at the Petersen Automotive Museum. I would wait for the Museum to close then take the cars apart!

- I just finished the art for this Year's Monterey Historic Races if there are any Porsche fans here: http://www.hatchillu...ey_Porsche.html

- Also just finished a poster for the Historic Grand Prix if there are any 3 litre F1 fans here: http://www.hatchillu...HGP_poster.html

All the best and thanks Tony!!!

Jim
http://www.hatchillustration.com/

Posted Image

Edited by 1996900sp, 13 August 2009 - 00:34.

#2182 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:47

Kind words, Jim, thanks, but I feel awkward that you single me out - I'm just one illustrator in a long line of illustrators, many of whom were more innovative than me, simply because if there is less 'tradition' and there are fewer techniques available it is more praiseworthy to introduce a significant change. I never did that, I just developed a style that was, hopefully, personal and recognisable. If I inspired anyone then I am pleased and flattered. I was obviously inspired by James Allington, and if I had not met him I have no idea what course my life would have taken, neither can I be sure that my work would have looked the same if I had become a Technical Illustrator via any other route - I suspect it would, but I can't be sure. Anyway, hello and welcome to a thread that I personally find friendly, informative and occasionally very amusing.

#2183 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 16:24

ok, thanks

I have it signed G.Betti in Alpha Auto (1973).

#2184 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 16:25

I have it signed G.Betti in Alpha Auto (1973).

Writing about the Alfa P2.

#2185 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 478 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 22:44

I am a working Illustrator (not in Europe though) and just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed this thread as Tony Matthews is one of my all time inspirations and heroes. Viewing all the working drawings has just been incredible. Here is a drawing I did a while back while working at the Petersen Automotive Museum. I would wait for the Museum to close then take the cars apart!

- I just finished the art for this Year's Monterey Historic Races if there are any Porsche fans here: http://www.hatchillu...ey_Porsche.html

- Also just finished a poster for the Historic Grand Prix if there are any 3 litre F1 fans here: http://www.hatchillu...HGP_poster.html

Jim
http://www.hatchillustration.com/

Very cool! I admire your talent! I'll check out your website.

#2186 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 23:11

I recently mentioned Terry Collins in another thread.
Ill start posting some of his Benettons here
B187 to start off
Posted Image

#2187 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 820 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:33

Ferrari 512 S by Bruno Betti

Posted Image

Ibsen

#2188 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 19:08

the next Terry Collins Benetton.
Sorry I haven't got a better one
B188
Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 14 August 2009 - 19:09.

#2189 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 19:40

Sorry I haven't got a better one

It does seem to have faded a bit, Marc, a pity. I always thought the multi-colour Benetton schemes looked great. When my son was about six he asked me to draw a racing car that he could colour, and blow me down, he did a Benetton scheme! Just goes to show what can happen when you've got too many coloured pencils!

#2190 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 20:28

To any & all illustrators that lurk about. Have any of you ever found a blunder (whether large or small) at the very last minute, that caused you more than a bit of grief ? Also, have you ever let anything go, knowing that there was a minor mistake ?.....................cheers !
Steve

#2191 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 20:40

To any & all illustrators that lurk about. Have any of you ever found a blunder (whether large or small) at the very last minute, that caused you more than a bit of grief ? Also, have you ever let anything go, knowing that there was a minor mistake ?.....................cheers !
Steve

I am in no way an illustrator in the sense we speak of here, I only do drawings for technical and spare parts manuals, but when I find a two page
cutaway which need splicing, some of them are missing quite a few mm of material which needs to be coloured in and get "repainted"
In the case of this Serge Bellu rev counter/cable I just didn't know what to do, so splosh!!!, sort of a Glenmorangie with arthritis repair method!!
Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 14 August 2009 - 21:18.

#2192 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 21:18

In the case of this Serge Bellu rev counter/cable I just didn't know what to do, so splosh!!!, sort of a Glenmorangie with arthritis !!
Posted Image

I don't blame you Marc, what were you supposed to do? I have had a good look at the image, and it is not at all obvious where that cable is headed - very odd.

Steve, I took my cutaway of the March 83C to MARCH Engineering to check some final details - this was before it was turned into a 'Vermont Tools' car, and I did it on spec., hoping to break into the US market rather than just rely on Penske Racing. Alan Mertens had a look at it and said 'You've only got three headers!' - and indeed I had. There were four on the drawing, which was under the paint, as this was prior to doing the working drawings on film, and the fourth was just a small bit, a mere hint, of pipe. I had overpainted it when painting the heat-shield on top of the tunnel, and forgotten it! Good thing this was noticed before it was photographed...

...as was the Lola ChampCar - can't remember which one immediately - drawn front-three-quarter, and apart from Mobil had Computervision as a minor sponsor, written along the leading edge of both main elements. Shortly after I dropped it off at the photographers I had a call. 'You've spelt Computervision wrong!' I had, too, missed out one letter on both sides. Repainting it was a pain, but thank goodness it was spotted before being photo'd and the trannies being FedExe'd to the States...

#2193 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 21:27

There is a thread a few lines down from this cutaway thread called why the chicken crossed the road
poster heliolism has posted a cutaway of a chicken especially for us, hilarious !!!

Edited by macoran, 14 August 2009 - 21:28.

#2194 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 21:49

I asked the question simply because I almost sent some work out (a short time ago) on FedEx, with a glitch. The driver at the door for the pick up, I'm rushing to finish a post (where Tony found , "Mow"), as I see my error. I tell the driver to wait, I hit submit post, then grab a pencil & the pens. Happily, alcohol based ink dry very fast. Now for the shopping dilemma, Lagavulin or a lorry load of Boddington's?......................cheers!

#2195 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 21:53

Now for the shopping dilemma, Lagavulin or a lorry load of Boddington's?......................cheers!

Lagavulin ain't half bad !!

#2196 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 22:02

Very true. Unfortunately, it's (Tony, note it is the correct spelling/punctuation) a bit pricey. It's about $70, the standby, Glenfiddich, can be had for $22 +/-..............cheers

#2197 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 22:07

Yeah, but what about a Boddington's chaser? Ooh, reminds me of drinking ice-cold beer and schnapps in the shade of a big old tree, near the top of the Gaisberg hill-climb, after a hot day's mechanic-ing...

#2198 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 22:15

Yeah, but what about a Boddington's chaser?

Chasers are mandatory! , all medicinal intake is to be done with sufficient liquid !

#2199 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 22:21

I always take notice of a expert, Marc...

Advertisement

#2200 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 22:21

I always take notice of a expert, Marc...