The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13349 replies to this topic

#2851 ABG

ABG

• 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 22:10

Tim
Thanks, I was not referring to Marc's post on page 45. I was referring to the image as posted by seasalt on page 44 which is an unfortunate patching together of 2 scans. The left 2/3 of the image across the spine of the book is one scan and the final 1/3 is a second scan patched to the first in not very good alignment. Resulting in what I chose to call an "unfortunate scan and patch job".
Marc
I was browsing through Ibsen's index and flipped to page 44 and that was it. There was no intention to offend, if that is what you meant, just wanted to share something that I was pleased with when I finished.

Al

Advertisement

#2852 mattjenn123

mattjenn123

• 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 22:43

Good to see somebody doing it the "proper" way :)

Thanks! I suppose i was at the tail end of technical illustrators coming through before computers got in the way! I finished my course in blackpool in 92. Time to stop faffing with software and get back to art. Would love to sell some of Tony Matthews prints - anyone have an email?

#2853 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 23:26

Jaguar E2A by Vic Berris

Posted Image

Ibsen

#2854 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 22:40

Marc
I was browsing through Ibsen's index and flipped to page 44 and that was it. There was no intention to offend, if that is what you meant, just wanted to share something that I was pleased with when I finished.

Al

Oh no, no !!
The only thought that crossed my mind was the use of the word "unfortunate" . I wasn't considering any descriptive adjectivity, and actually felt very "fortunate"
to see the scan at all. Otherwise I might never have seen Brian Nation's (sic) little masterpiece.
I'll take a scan any way it comes, and I'll fettle it to my taste for my collection as you have done (very well I might add) with it also.

A little problem here with this latest new fangled Windows wotsit didn't allow me to highlight the word unfortunate when I copied that part of your post in my reply.
No hard feelings please!

edit, I've dug up some real good Brian Hatton stuff from the "Non Conformist" series published by Motor magazine, bear with me, I've got to unstaple the magazines
and scan......the size of Motor in those days !!! they hadn't heard of A4 apparantly !!

Edited by macoran, 20 November 2009 - 22:55.

#2855 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 22:50

Renault RE30B by E.T.A.I in colour (published in Motor magazine) and B&W line (published in L'Automobile)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2856 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,284 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 22:56

Apologies to both Al and Marc if I contributed to any misunderstanding. :blush:

(but thank you both for your work on that fascinating Auto Union cutaway).

Edited by Tim Murray, 20 November 2009 - 22:57.

#2857 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 23:44

Renault Alpine A441. Who is the artist? E.T.A.I.?

Posted Image

Ibsen

#2858 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 00:09

Renault Alpine A441. Who is the artist? E.T.A.I.?

Posted Image

Ibsen

??? hmmm Patrick Grace ?? he did a Renault RS01 cutaway which seems to be similar in style.

edit: I withdraw Patrick Grace as the artist for this A441.......drawing probably is from the E.T.A.I. team

This is Renault Alpine A442 by E.T.A.I.
Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 21 November 2009 - 01:06.

#2859 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 00:31

Renaul Altine A442 by E.T.A.I. - B&W version

Posted Image

Ibsen

Advertisement

#2860 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 00:41

Another Ranault Alpine A442. Who is the artist?

Posted Image

Ibsen

#2861 Languedoc

Languedoc

• 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:56

Hi friends:

Moreinfo & drawings of the Rover P6 BS here

Dutch Rover archives

Click "P6" in the upper horizontal bar and then "Specials" in the left column

enjoy it!

#2862 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:34

Thanks! I suppose i was at the tail end of technical illustrators coming through before computers got in the way! I finished my course in blackpool in 92. Time to stop faffing with software and get back to art. Would love to sell some of Tony Matthews prints - anyone have an email?

You have a message

#2863 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 19:59

Renault RE30 by Paolo D'Alessio

Posted Image

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 23 November 2009 - 22:42.

#2864 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 18:20

March 701 in Colin Crabbe's Antique Automobile's colours for Ronnie Peterson.
Artists' signature looks to be Mürdsam ?
Posted Image

#2865 DOHC

DOHC

• 11,860 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 19:30

March 701 in Colin Crabbe's Antique Automobile's colours for Ronnie Peterson.
Artists' signature looks to be Mürdsam ?
Posted Image

It's Herbert Müdsam, an artist living and working in Sweden, in spite of the German name.

http://www.gulex.se/...38329088348.htm

#2866 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 19:56

It's Herbert Müdsam, an artist living and working in Sweden, in spite of the German name.

http://www.gulex.se/...38329088348.htm

Thanks ! :up: Funnily I recently opened that site of his and didn't even realise the March was of his hand, totally different style.

#2867 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 22:27

Autocar spread 25th May 1974 on the Ferrari BB
Car cutaway by Dick Ellis
Posted Image
Engine and gearbox chop-chop by Vic Berris
Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 22 November 2009 - 22:27.

#2868 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 22:53

Posted Image

Have a close look at the alternator pulley and impeller - what are those wires doing? Apart from not lasting very long...

#2869 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 23:12

Have a close look at the alternator pulley and impeller - what are those wires doing? Apart from not lasting very long...

Oooo eye 4 Dtail U have Tony, never noticed that, doe look really stoopid.
Sorry just been on the msn with younger son, so lingo has hit tha dirt.

#2870 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 00:16

Oooo eye 4 Dtail U have Tony, never noticed that, doe look really stoopid.
Sorry just been on the msn with younger son, so lingo has hit tha dirt.

i no wot u meen, i refuz to txt lyk tht, i uz propr werdz n grmmr n punctuation!

#2871 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 22:40

Scarab rear engine by Robert Roux

A better scan is welcome.

Posted Image

Ibsen

#2872 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 22:44

Jan de Rooy's 1986 DAF Turbo Twin Paris-Dakar racetruck by Portugies Visual Communications
Posted Image

#2873 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 22:51

Folks, I was just wondering if anyone was able to get into that Facebook link that I had put up for the John Force cutaway. I have pretty much all of my US drag racing and hot rod cutaways up there in that album. If you can't get in, I will figure out another way to do this for you.
Of course, I am not sure why I can't just copy it in here without having it uploaded somewhere first. Is there some kind of secret to being able to just stick those into the responses here?
Thanks for the help.
Tom West

#2874 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 23:12

Folks, I was just wondering if anyone was able to get into that Facebook link that I had put up for the John Force cutaway. I have pretty much all of my US drag racing and hot rod cutaways up there in that album. If you can't get in, I will figure out another way to do this for you.
Of course, I am not sure why I can't just copy it in here without having it uploaded somewhere first. Is there some kind of secret to being able to just stick those into the responses here?
Thanks for the help.
Tom West

I had no problem getting in it just now.
Good stuff ! :up:
I don't know about getting a facebook in here, you'll probably have to upload drawing by drawing

#2875 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:01

Macoran,
I have no problem doing that, but I can't get the message window to take the images. Is there something special that needs to happen. I have tried to copy the image and insert it, and to drag and drop, but it just opens a new window. Just don't want to put them up on another site again if I don't have to do so. Any help would be appreciated here.
Tom West

#2876 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 73 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:46

Macoran,
I have no problem doing that, but I can't get the message window to take the images. Is there something special that needs to happen. I have tried to copy the image and insert it, and to drag and drop, but it just opens a new window. Just don't want to put them up on another site again if I don't have to do so. Any help would be appreciated here.
Tom West

similar problem here Tom. especially as working for MOD and internet filters block all photo hosting sites so all these nice pictures you good folks are posting are little white squares with a red cross.. :cry:

so I had to post mine at home. email in to work the url.

so this is what I have been working on lately in my spare time.

http://scorerr770.de...oured-144555043

http://scorerr770.de...t-Rod-144553929

http://scorerr770.de...k-Car-144553720

http://scorerr770.de...-No99-144553374

Edited by scorerr770, 24 November 2009 - 20:15.

#2877 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 13:57

Thanks for the help.
Tom West

Tom -- I cannot see the files -- they require me to have a Facebook account. I am guessing that macoran has an account. The way to post an image directly into the thread is to register at Imageshack or Photobucket (both free), upload the image there, and then follow the site's instructions on embedding an image into a thread.

Imageshack
Photobucket

#2878 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 13:59

similar problem here Tom. especially as working for MOD and internet filters block all photo hosting sites so all these nice pictures you good folks are posting are little white squares with a red cross.. :cry:

so I had to post mine at home. email in to work the url.

so this is what I have been working on lately in my spare time.

scorerr -- these links do not work. They look like they are incomplete, as shown by the "..." in the middle of them. Maybe you need Tinyurl?

#2879 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:18

Or try this as another option for posting images.
http://www.postimage.org/
Roger Lund

Advertisement

#2880 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:45

Hi there, I am new to this forum, my reason for registering was this discussion which caught my eye regarding cutaway illustrations of cars; this has coincided with the launch of my website selling mostly my illustrations of cars cutaway. Theres not many in there at the moment but I hope to grow the list. Site is www.technicalartprints.co.uk
sorry for the advertising but i had to start somewhere and it seems there is a fondness for the type of illustration i am producing.

Matt Jennings

Love to see some of that a bit bigger !!! Great Stuff !! :up:

#2881 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 19:26

OK, folks ...
I am going to give this a try using the DeviantArt site. Somehow, that just seemed appropriate for this group, and for myself.
Let me know if this actually works better than having the stuff on Facebook. If it does, I will try to do this in a little higher resolution if needed.
Let me know if this works. I am just also signing up with ImageShack, just in case. Seems like this shouldn't be such a project.
Thanks for the help with this.
Tom West

http://xrayguytw.dev...aways-144646697

#2882 Neil Smith

Neil Smith

• 29 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 19:53

Hi Tom

this works fine for me - great choice for a first image! So feel free to add lots more - and a little bit bigger so we can see all the detail

cheers

Neil

#2883 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 20:05

Neil,
Thanks for letting me know that worked. I am trying to get the link with an image, but it keeps telling me that the format is incorrect coming out of ImageShack. It is showing the same format as all of the other image files that have that link, but it will not seem to post it for me. Says that it has to be sent through ImageShack, but I can't find a way to link it in. Somebody give me a hint here.
Thanks.
Tom West

#2884 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 20:13

I posted this sometime ago for someone else, and he promptly started posting, so unless there is something
really odd going on..............

Open www.imageshack.us
Look for the browse button, and click on it.
You must of course have the file you want to post on your hard disc and know where it is
So, browse and open the file
At the bottom of the image shack screen you will find a button named “start upload”
Click on it an you file will be uploaded
As soon as uploading is complete, you will see the file shown in a small screen
Above this screen will be 4 links
Right click and copy the text in the link “thumbnail for forums (1) “
Go back to the Autosport forum and open the “add reply” screen
Right click copy/paste the link into the reply screen and send reply
That should do it !

#2885 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 73 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 20:18

updated links of my latest pieces

#2886 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 20:46

OK, going to try this again a different way. And, it seems to be working ... will cross my fingers, or whatever.
Thanks for bearing with me here ... been a long time since they gave me that Diploma. Even have the test scores to prove that I am smart, although I have no recent examples.
Tom West

Posted Image

#2887 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 20:52

Damn, do I feel empowered.
Going to send out a couple of more pieces, just for something to look at.
This is a little street rod that was built by Gary Meadors. Gary heads up GoodGuys Rod & Custom, the largest car show cruises in the US. This was built for him by a guy named Steve Moal a few years ago, and I just finished the drawing a couple of weeks ago. One of those where you just don't have enough information. For as simple as it is, it really jammed me up for a while.
Let's try this posting thing again ...
Tom West

Posted Image

#2888 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 21:01

This stuff is probably going to bore most of you guys to death, since it is all rather simple and mainly drag racing and hot rod based. These few that I am posting here were all commissions for car owners or other interested folks. Considering that car owners aren't exactly putting advertising budget to use here, I would hate to compare what Tony Matthews or David Kimball would get for their color work. Honestly, there is probably much more in these things than what was paid ... in other words, one works cheap in this area.
This particular car was restored by the families of the original owners of the car. I actually was at trackside when the car was run in a follow-up configuration with a Ford engine instead of the original 392 Chrysler. For those of you who follow drag racing (no, don't all respond at once ...), this was a very successful ride for Tom McEwen back in the mid-60s, before he really got to be a nationally known personality with the Hot Wheels Snake & Mongoose program. Lou Baney, the primary owner, was backed by Yeakel Plymouth, where he was the sales manager. Lou went on to become a major player in SEMA a few years later.
Oh, yeah. The illustration ...
Tom West

#2889 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 21:09

Last one for now is one of the best known drag racers in history. The Chi-Town Hustler was the car that really started all the crazy long burnouts that turned a basic automotive sport into showtime, and it has continued to this day. The magic between Pat Minnick, behind the wheel, and Austin Coil, running the car, made it one of the best performing touring cars of its day. Back in 1969, the summer tour would include 4-5 different events per week, so it was a major effort just to get from show to show. The car is being restored currently, and Austin Coil is the Primary Crew Chief for the John Force drag racing kingdom.
Tom West

Posted Image

#2890 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 22:37

Tom -- I LOVE the dragsters & hot rods!!!

#2891 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 22:42

"Damn, do I feel empowered."

Know how you feel!

Really nice to see the illustrations at last Tom, it took me a while to master imageshack! My preference is for the funny-cars, rather than rails, purely from the viewpoint of a cutaway, if there's no bodywork, there's not much to cut! That is not to belittle any other illustration, just a personal view. Thanks.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 24 November 2009 - 22:44.

#2892 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 23:15

Thanks for the comments. Since I was in complete awe of your work from the first time I saw it, this is especially satisfying.
I was immersed in the drag racing stuff in the mid-60s after I moved here from Denver. The biggest fuel race I had been to there, and the largest they had ever held, hosted 7 fuel cars in 1964. My first race out here was the second Mickey Thompson 200mph Club race, and featured 64 Top Fuel cars. It was like having one of those old drag magazines come to life, and I knew I was where I wanted to be.
I "trained" myself by copying a Steve Swaja drawing of a streamlined dragster (designed completely reverse of the true aero teardrop shape), and progressed up to copying a James Allington Ferrari out of Road and Track (maybe Car & Driver). Had a mechanical drawing instructor here who had taught that single year course, but knew nothing beyond that. I actually ended up helping him teach the course (cams, etc.) and he told me he had nothing else he could teach me, so I had to come up with something to fill the rest of the semester. I jumped in and copied 8 illustrations, just to get the feel for them. When I got out of high school, and was in the Co-op part of my General Motors time, I ended up borrowing a camera and getting involved in drag photography (racing ... not the other ...). That introduced me to the sport and I stuck with it after having my first extremely primitive illustration published.
I can remember seeing those early line drawings with that Matthews signature and seeing a real step forward, and had followed your work ever since.
Wish I had the chance to work with some of the more complicated things. May have to step in and do that McLaren M8D that I shot for a modelkit project that I did a few years ago. Supposed to have been one of the better restorations, and I have a full set of reference photos, and the base drawings to be able to build the illustration.
Anyway, I don't feel nearly as stupid as I did earlier this morning. Thanks for waiting ...
I will start posting more of these as I go through, although all of the ones that I have cleaned up are on that ImageShack site now.
Tom West

#2893 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 799 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 00:01

TY for posting, Tom. Keep 'em comin'! :up:

#2894 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 00:30

Guys,
This is a drawing of the reconstructed version of Tommy Ivo's Twin-Buick Gas Dragster from the early 60s. Ivo had the Buick "Nailheads" running with the big Chryslers, but ended up switching over after he built the 4-engined car.
Ivo is one of those guys who is really enjoying being a hero of the sport, and I know that he speaks of the England tours from the mid-60s very kindly. Must have made a pretty positive impression on him.
Tom West

#2895 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 00:37

Going to throw in some of the Dragsters, just because they were done along the way. At least this one had a full-body. It represents a few of the original features on the car, along with some of the things that are more obvious on the restored car as it is appearing now. This is a fairly notable experiment in full suspension cars that was tried out by Kent Fuller. If you weren't running Fuller pipe back in the 60s, you probably weren't running all that well. Kent is still building cars, mainly a little Bonneville project at the moment. The Magicar was just one of my favorites when I arrived in Southern California, but the car had been parked by that point so I never saw it run back in the day. It became the founder of the modern "Cacklefest" for historic dragsters that is so popular for the nostalgia dragster movement over here. Like your historics, this is a bunch of cars, mainly dragsters, that end up getting push started to fire, and just sitting there burning nitro and throwing flames until they run out of fuel. At the recent California Hot Rod Reunion, there were 80 cars fired and cruised down the track like this, and there could be 100 by next year. This car was the first to do that about 10 years ago, and the movement has grown ever since then.
Tom West

Posted Image

#2896 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 73 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:16

TY for posting, Tom. Keep 'em comin'! :up:

oh the photo hosting sites are blocked here at MOD. will have a look tonight and can't wait to see them going by the praise received for the hot rods.

what a cool forum oh better get on with some work .. lol

#2897 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:29

Had a mechanical drawing instructor here who had taught that single year course, but knew nothing beyond that. I actually ended up helping him teach the course (cams, etc.) and he told me he had nothing else he could teach me, so I had to come up with something to fill the rest of the semester.

I was lucky, apprenticed to Jim Allington, and tutored on a day-release scheme by Mike Wrigglesworth, who certainly knew his stuff, and worked in a very different way to Jim, so I was subjected to different philosophies, and in fact amalgamated the two to find my own way of working. However, in other areas I have come across teachers who do not know their subject, and it is frustrating, not to say scandalous!

May have to step in and do that McLaren M8D that I shot for a modelkit project that I did a few years ago. Supposed to have been one of the better restorations, and I have a full set of reference photos, and the base drawings to be able to build the illustration.

I've got all the info to do the M8F, but only just started the outline before shelving it - pity.

Anyway, I don't feel nearly as stupid as I did earlier this morning. Thanks for waiting ...

Every thread that has images incorporated also has a steady stream of angry and confused posters moaning about the image-host of their choice - I know, I was one! Once mastered, it's hard to remember what the difficulty was!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 25 November 2009 - 09:30.

#2898 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 736 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:53

I've got all the info to do the M8F, but only just started the outline before shelving it - pity.

I was so much happier before I read that...

What's it going to take?

Nigel

#2899 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:04

I was so much happier before I read that...

At least I've achieved something today, Nigel - and it's only just after 10 am!

Advertisement

#2900 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 73 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:44

Love to see some of that a bit bigger !!! Great Stuff !! :up:

some very nice work there. :)