The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13436 replies to this topic

#251 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:52

Originally posted by IrishMariner
Just linking to a Ferrari Sharknose cutaway that I saw via. a Michael Turner thread. The artist is Kane Rogers out of Canada.

http://www.kaneroger...knoseprint.html

James Allington did the Sharknose in colour, also on a black background, in 1961. It featured as a centre-spread in that year's Automobile Year. I gave my collection of AY's away some time ago but somewhere I have acopy of the print. He spent three weeks at the factory painting away - not something I like to do, let me get back to my studio. Present tense again, what's happening?

Advertisement

#252 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 13:17

Freudian slip :cool: ...we can only hope..

#253 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 478 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 15:59

Originally posted by IrishMariner
Just linking to a Ferrari Sharknose cutaway that I saw via. a Michael Turner thread. The artist is Kane Rogers out of Canada.

http://www.kaneroger...knoseprint.html

As much as I'm sure he's very talented and does competent work- the computer linework and especially color work (calculated gradations) makes it all very stiff and sterile to me.

#254 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 16:36

Posted Image

#255 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 16:49

Woo hoo! Done it, Tom! Possibly a little less dense than your original, and I had to go all round the houses to be able to post it. Lovely.

JF - Take a look at this - you cannot, as far as I am concerned, get such results with a computer. We can always discuss the different techniques, airbrush versus sable, film versus water colour board, but when you rely on someone else - the clever soft-ware writers - something is lost. I'm not a Luddite (I use predictive texting, for Pete's sake), I am not anti computers, they have their uses, but I am pro art, craft, skill, learning, dexterity, blood, sweat and tears, etc. TM

#256 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 16:56

Fantastic work Tony, I have always thought no one did better cutaways than you.

I had a set of 6 black ink cutaway drawings framed on my office walls in an Austin - Morris dealership in North finchley in 1973.
From memory there was Mick Hill's Boss Capri, a Cosworth Chevy Vega engine ,Ferrari 312P, Tyrrell 005, Lola T280, Surtees TS9B.

We were the biggest London MG distributor and MG customers in particular almost always commented favourably on the pictures by yourself. A truly wonderful skill, fantastic work.

#257 TooTall

TooTall

• 336 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 17:03

I do like the pitot tube cover on the Pitts. I happen to know that in the flight manual of a certain Air Force bomber there is an illustration of the crew lavatory. Although it's not discernible on the printed page, there is some rather choice graffiti scrawled on the wall.

Kurt O.

#258 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 17:28

Originally posted by TooTall
I do like the pitot tube cover on the Pitts. I happen to know that in the flight manual of a certain Air Force bomber there is an illustration of the crew lavatory. Although it's not discernible on the printed page, there is some rather choice graffiti scrawled on the wall.

Kurt O.

I've just realised - and I'm sure Tom won't take offence at this (and if he does, ha's a long way away) but at first glance -is it just me, or does it look like a rubber chicken?

Thank you RTH. The Boss Capri - a Lola T70 lurking in a Mk 1 Capri body. I can't think why but I never saw it compete. Probably just too busy.

#259 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 17:30

Oh no, I've shot myself well and truly in the foot! Is my face red or what. However, rather than take the easy way out and delete my entry, I am prepared to take the ridicule like a man!

Advertisement

#260 alansart

alansart

• 4,049 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 17:47

Originally posted by Tony Matthews
Woo hoo! Done it, Tom! Possibly a little less dense than your original, and I had to go all round the houses to be able to post it. Lovely.

JF - Take a look at this - you cannot, as far as I am concerned, get such results with a computer. We can always discuss the different techniques, airbrush versus sable, film versus water colour board, but when you rely on someone else - the clever soft-ware writers - something is lost. I'm not a Luddite (I use predictive texting, for Pete's sake), I am not anti computers, they have their uses, but I am pro art, craft, skill, learning, dexterity, blood, sweat and tears, etc. TM

It is rather good isn't it with lots and lots of detail and it just looks right, although I think I would prefer it like yours without a shadow underneath.

As for computers, I seem to be permanently attached to my Apple Mac's. I've tried to carry over the old airbrush techniques with a bit of success, but nobody as yet has stumped up the cash to do that big job!

If I ever win the lottery, plan 1 is to get back racing again and plan 2 is to do something a bit special with a paintbrush and then try and do the same thing again on the computer, and not give a toss how it was all going to be paid for :)

I also had Mick Hills Capri, the 312P and the Lola but as they were only Motoring News pages they faded after a while.

#261 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 18:17

Thanks for posting this Tony. It looks good. The interior mechanical parts of this painting were all done by hand. All of the exterior paint and graphics was done using photoshop. I swore I would never do art with a computer, but many owners of this aircraft want custom cutaways of their particular plane but don't want to pay for something done by hand.

The original painting is 24" X 36". I work differently than Tony. First I construct the drawing then do a tight inking on drafting mylar using 4X0 and 6X0 Rapidographs. I make a litho film positive from the inking and paint directly on the film pos using gouche. The film is a nice medium to use because mistakes/changes can be made by simply masking(frisket) and washing the area away. One area can be changed repeatedly as long as I'm careful with the Xacto and don't cut all the way through the film.

Tom

#262 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 18:18

Ah, the great shadow debate! I have only once used it (twice, just remembered the Jag D-Type)' and I don't think it suites my style, somehow. I suppose if Jim Allington had used shadows I might have been influenced, but over the years I have come to my own conclusions, and the're not for me. But Tom's Pitts looks completely right with it. If it had no shadow then perhaps it would have to have been drawn in flying attitude, with a spinning prop. There is no logical right or wrong, only personal preferences.

Foot-shooting #2. Got me there Tom, I didn't notice the paint job was PS. I hear faint laughter somewhere. I'm in the middle of ironing shirts for my holiday, perhaps the steam is getting to me...

#263 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 23:01

Tom,

Your Pitt's Special cutaway is absolutely brilliant! :up:

On some of Flight's aircraft cutaways there was sometimes a mouse, a toolbox or even a baby somewhere on the cutaway - usually very difficult to locate. Your pitot cover is a nice touch, made somewhat more conspicuous by its shadow :cool:

[In a politically correct US, maybe you should have a note on the cutaway stating that no animals were hurt in the production of this illustration...]

#264 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 23:37

I would like to take credit for the rubber chicken pitot cover but can't. Just about everyone that owns these Pitts Model 12's have the rubber chicken. In fact, Kevin Kimball, co-designer of the plane (check out www.pittsmodel12.com) sells them for $5.00 in his booth when they are at airshows. It's a big seller.

I wanted to hide Homer Simpson somewhere inside the illustration but figured Matt Groening would hunt me down. I may seek permission from him on the Pitts Model 12S (single-seat, high performance version) cutaway I'm am now working on.

#265 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 478 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 23:44

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Matthews
Ah, the great shadow debate! I have only once used it (twice, just remembered the Jag D-Type)' and I don't think it suites my style, somehow. I suppose if Jim Allington had used shadows I might have been influenced, but over the years I have come to my own conclusions, and the're not for me. But Tom's Pitts looks completely right with it. If it had no shadow then perhaps it would have to have been drawn in flying attitude, with a spinning prop. There is no logical right or wrong, only personal preferences. [/QUOTE]

Interesting that he chose to make the shadow such a potent hue of blue as well. I like it!

Foot-shooting #2. Got me there Tom, I didn't notice the paint job was PS. I hear faint laughter somewhere. I'm in the middle of ironing shirts for my holiday, perhaps the steam is getting to me... [/QUOTE]

Yes, but it isn't sterile feeling at all despite the digital tools. The humanity comes through!

#266 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 00:57

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jones Foyer

Interesting that he chose to make the shadow such a potent hue of blue as well. I like it!

Foot-shooting #2. Got me there Tom, I didn't notice the paint job was PS. I hear faint laughter somewhere. I'm in the middle of ironing shirts for my holiday, perhaps the steam is getting to me... [/QUOTE]

Yes, but it isn't sterile feeling at all despite the digital tools. The humanity comes through!
[/QUOTE]

Actually, the shadow color of the original isn't quite as blue as this jpg file.

Tony - The illustration is really 85% completed by hand. I'm sorry and feel perhaps that I misled you. At least I could send you my special cane complete with moto GP stickers to help out with your foot injury.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Re. the computer debate, I am very grateful that I learned how to produce this art by hand. With the sophistication of software these days, I am able to create the same feel of the art by using the tools of the computer in the same manner as the hand tools I used before. I will continue however to do the draft drawing on a piece of drafting film. That part of the process is the most enjoyable and doing it on the computer just doesn't set right with me..........yet?

#267 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:29

Tom, I realise that 85% 0f the artwork is 'real', and 100% of the original drawing. I'm not being critical, but the point is that you are a proper illustrator so know how to get the most from the software. I remember a good few years ago when you were briefly working for a helicopter manufacturer - you told me that some of the engineers were producing renderings of their designs, with less than perfect results, and you were able to point out that if, for instance, they changed the position of the light source they would achieve a more satisfying image. Software 0,Tom Johnson 1, in my book.

You will be relieved to have a break from my meanderings for a while...TM

#268 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 502 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 15:10

This thread has been amazing. The art work with the technical detail is breath taking. As a junior engineer I had to draw in pencil on tracing paper, so can appreciate what the illustrators are achieving. My art teacher wrote me off commmenting in a term report that I would never achieve anything if I was depenedent on a ruler and compass!

If it is difficult to sell individual prints, could a publisher be interested in a coffe table book with a selection from many illustrators. Some text about how these are drawn together with history of the cars and/or planes should make such a book interesting.

#269 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 16:50

Tom, I realise that 85% 0f the artwork is 'real', and 100% of the original drawing. I'm not being critical, but the point is that you are a proper illustrator so know how to get the most from the software. I remember a good few years ago when you were briefly working for a helicopter manufacturer - you told me that some of the engineers were producing renderings of their designs, with less than perfect results, and you were able to point out that if, for instance, they changed the position of the light source they would achieve a more satisfying image. Software 0,Tom Johnson 1, in my book.

You will be relieved to have a break from my meanderings for a while...TM

Thanks Tony. I know I will probably never be a total computer geek since I ,like you and other traditional artists, love working with my hands and getting absorbed with all the tools and such. I'm just exploring the technology to use what makes me more efficient without sacrificing the look and feel of the illustration that I'm after. Reminds of a art director that was seeking my services a while back and didn't believe that all of the images he was looking at in my portfolio were done by hand. He even accused me of lying! He also knew I was a musician and said something about we were all a dying breed and were fools for not switching over to synthesizers and the digital world.........I promptly gathered up my gear and walked away. I don't remember saying good-day.

#270 Michael Clark

Michael Clark

• 269 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 22:22

I have just seen Tony Matthews name on a thread and worked back to find out when he joined - I see early September.

I now realise I missed it because I was in Europe, in fact en route to Spa, and away from TNF for close to a month.

Tony Matthews is a genius. I started getting Motoring News in 1972 and his cutaways were always a highlight - how could anyone dissect a car in such a way continues to impress me as much at 50 as it did at 14!

Welcome to TNF Tony.

#271 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 22:43

Thank you Michael, very kind of you. By now you may have seen my reply to your comments re the Penske PC8!

It used, many years ago, to stun me somewhat when confronted, as happened once at Penske, by an obvious adult, a qualified engineer, powerful and hirsute, saying "Wow, I used to rush home from school on Wednesdays to see if one of your cutaways was in Motoring News!" That is guaranteed to make you feel ancient, even in your early forties! Hey ho. Twenty odd years later it doesn't hurt so much!

#272 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 789 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 23:58

Thank you Michael, very kind of you. By now you may have seen my reply to your comments re the Penske PC8!

It used, many years ago, to stun me somewhat when confronted, as happened once at Penske, by an obvious adult, a qualified engineer, powerful and hirsute, saying "Wow, I used to rush home from school on Wednesdays to see if one of your cutaways was in Motoring News!" That is guaranteed to make you feel ancient, even in your early forties! Hey ho. Twenty odd years later it doesn't hurt so much!

good - because i used to do that at 14 aswell - and for some years thereafter. i 'spose you realise that you are in part at least, responsible for a generation of would be race car designers getting the 'urge'... ?

peter

#273 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 00:00

I am not to blame for puberty, Peter!

#274 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 789 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 00:19

I am not to blame for puberty, Peter!

so i understand...

#275 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,245 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:09

I have just lost 2 hours reading this thread [lucky it is a rainy day] and am absolutly amazed at the work shown here, and have got some perspective of how it is done.
I agree that computers can never do the job of an artist, when used by an artist the work is usually of superior quality.
I love the engine views, I can get a true understanding of how it all goes together.
Thankyou guys for your work and keep them coming
PS Love both of the Vincent drawings.

#276 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:13

The comment about the painting of the Ferrari in the 1961 Automobile Year made me pull out my old copy . I couldn't find it. However while rummaging I found copies of a thing called The Car. It was a weekly published by Orbis publishing LTD, London and cost 90p! Living in California, I was unable to be at the store (San Antonio Hobby, Mountain View, California) at the right time when the magazine was delivered so my collection is incomplete. Being a History and racing car type, I looked for specific issues. Certain issues featured racing cars from the Vanwall (issue 6) to the Lotus 49 (issue 82) Most of the racing car features had cutaway drawings. The type face for the credits was so small you had to be a young boy with new eyes or am old fart like me with a giant magnifying glass. James Allington's name appears most often.

Gil Bouffard

#277 Mistron

Mistron

• 858 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 20:17

Earlier in the thread I mentioned the Motoring news '72 collection, well, here they are.

If ever a subject deserved to be photographed properly, it is this, but I can't find a tripod and the lighting is impossible. for these faults I can only apologise! (they are a bit over A3, too big for my scanner)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm not sure about anyone else, but Whilst the finished coloured drawings are incredible I personally find the working pencil drawings so much more fascinating - I think it's that the finished works are so perfect it's hard to imagine that they are actually done by hand, where as the pencil ones are clearly the work of an incredibly skilled person.

#278 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 21:15

Blimey, that brings back some memories! I'd forgotten the detail drawing on the insert, just remembered it being blue. A damn fine £1's worth even then....Thanks Mistron.

#279 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 00:21

I always remember a cutaway of Ian Bracey's Ibec clubman's car in MN.
Roger Lund

Advertisement

#280 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 00:25

Good to see you back Tony (...and when can we begin to order prints from you?). Anyways, since others have bumped this thread that I set off what now seems ages ago, I'm going to try to see if i can get my Imageshack connection re-established (they've changed their layout since last time I posted an image). Here goes:

Posted Image

Of course it doesn't come anywhere near close to a Matthews, but Tony it is more than anyone who inspired me to occassionally doodle the odd (in several senses of the word) cutaway drawing. I'll just have to live with the fact that even if I tried to improve my illustration skills all day, every day, for the rest of my life, my feeble talent would never approach that Tony's...

...hmm... the Pantera didn't come out in the resolution I hoped it would. How/where does one upload linkable images with higher resolution than that shown here?

#281 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:56

Originally posted by bradbury west
I always remember a cutaway of Ian Bracey's Ibec clubman's car in MN.
Roger Lund

Hi Roger, the Ibec was quite difficult, so many tubes and not a lot of symetry, so you couldn't assume that a tube on the left of the chassis had a mirror-image twin on the right. This made it more challenging and interesting! I got the details of the Lotus diff housing from Hexagon of Highgate, their service department in London's trendy Highgate had a stripped-down Elan.

#282 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:09

Originally posted by Mistron
Earlier in the thread I mentioned the Motoring news '72 collection, well, here they are.

If ever a subject deserved to be photographed properly, it is this, but I can't find a tripod and the lighting is impossible. for these faults I can only apologise! (they are a bit over A3, too big for my scanner)

I'm not sure about anyone else, but Whilst the finished coloured drawings are incredible I personally find the working pencil drawings so much more fascinating - I think it's that the finished works are so perfect it's hard to imagine that they are actually done by hand, where as the pencil ones are clearly the work of an incredibly skilled person.

A pity your IS photos don't seem to come up larger when they are clicked on

#283 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:05

Hi Roger, the Ibec was quite difficult, so many tubes and not a lot of symetry, so you couldn't assume that a tube on the left of the chassis had a mirror-image twin on the right. This made it more challenging and interesting! I got the details of the Lotus diff housing from Hexagon of Highgate, their service department in London's trendy Highgate had a stripped-down Elan.

Small world Tony , my brother in law worked at Hexagon in Service for 25years.

#284 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 14:18

Originally posted by Bonde

I'll just have to live with the fact that even if I tried to improve my illustration skills all day, every day, for the rest of my life,

Anders, you are being too critical of your work. I can understand your desire to improve, you need that to progress, and I was always dissapointed with my work immediately after finishing it - only after not seening it
for some months could I decide if I was happy with it.

Believe me, your work is of a very high standard. Don't forget, I wasn't designing race cars or running a business at the same time!

#285 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 14:39

The Ibecs, P1 and P2, both benefitted from technical input form the City University in London, not least the body being designed by their senior lecturer in aerodynamics.

Anders' skills as a race car designer should always be accompanied, IMHO, with the words "highly successful and innovative"
Roger Lund.

#286 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 22:56

Believe me, your work is of a very high standard. Don't forget, I wasn't a highly succesful and innovative race car designer or running a business at the same time!

:up:

#287 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 22:16

:blush: :blush: :blush: You're being too kind!

Tony, Roger: I can think of no higher praise than that which comes from you gentlemen - It's the sort of boost of morale that may well inspire me to improve my skills - in both departments.

My medium for (colour) cutaways is merely pencil - I believe I need to master that much better than I do now before I begin to even contemplate a venture into gouache. Practise, practise, practise. Unfortunately, pencil will never enable the same crispness and textural realism as gouache. The realism, accuracy and precision of detail Tony can paint with is IMO simply mind-boggling - I really cannot fathom how you do it, Tony! What a waste of your prodigious talent and skill that it is no longer possible for you to make a living from producing cutaways of racing cars built either before or after the advent of 3D CAD...

Since we're not planning any new Aquila racing car design projects for the foreseeable future (only upgrades to existing products), I might just find some time to do the odd racing car cutaway drawing soon - I'll keep anyone who's interested informed about progress. And as far as the adjective 'succesful' [designer] is concerned, we're still hoping to see that reflected in increased sales, of course! (The 'innovative' bit can always sooooo easily be exchanged for 'foolhardy' or 'ignorant' - one can sometimes be too clever for one's own good, it really doesn't take much to make a pig's ear of it...)

#288 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 21:36

Originally posted by Bonde
:blush: :blush: :blush: You're being too kind!

Tony, Roger: I can think of no higher praise than that which comes from you gentlemen - It's the sort of boost of morale that may well inspire me to improve my skills - in both departments.

My medium for (colour) cutaways is merely pencil

Nothing wrong with pencil, Anders, but the constant sharpening will get through a lot of colouring sticks! There's always waste, though, as was said of the Colemans Mustard fortune - they made their money from what was left on the plate! With the best will in the world I wasted quantities of gouache, and as for compressed air - 99% is used cleaning the airbrush. I have made a few small attempts with pencil, just for a change, but only a few small illustrations. The choice of paper/board is not easy, and I think you have to work to a bigger scale. I have a couple of books on the use of colour pencils - both American - and whilst there are a few good tips and examples it really boils down to what we all basically know - that there is no substitute for practice.

I've had a long look for a pencil study but am snowed under with as-yet unfiled books, magazines and - yes, dear - rubbish, so no luck yet!

PS Mixed media! You can always work in pencil then add a bit of ink or a spot of white gouache as a highlight.

#289 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 16:06

Tony,

I sometimes use a bit of pen as well, and have done 'pure' pen line drawings, too - even with some of the old mechanical tints (transfers). I have also tried pen and wash ocassionally, but not too successfully. Pen line drawings with pencil colouring was how I began, but I found I got more realism without the bold lines of the pen showing through the colour when using only pencil (but it takes longer!).

I use a light table to trace my sketch(es) to the final drawing.

The biggest problem I find with pencil is that it's difficult to get large, solid or gradual surfaces without too much texture from the board or paper, which forces the scale up with the attendant problems of the surfaces growing larger! Fine but relatively roughly surfaced detail, for instance on such as gearbox and carburettor castings I find quite easy to get realism into - tyres, bodywork and windows are much trickier!

The original of the Pantera measured 60 cm x 40 cm, which I suppose is about the same size or slightly smaller than your typical originals?

On 'pure' pencil drawings I use a very fine eraser to get 'glint' highlight effects, or sometimes I just leave the 'glint' uncoloured. I might try mixing in gouache as you suggest - Is it just as effective on an original artwork or does it work better on the reproductions?

#290 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 23:28

I saw a review of this in the newspaper. Retail £14.99 UK 0845 155 0713
http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1409100146
Roger Lund

#291 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:50

Thanks for bringing this to my/our attention, Roger. I read the reviews - four enthusiastically for, one very much against - and for some reason I have been more influenced by the negative than the positive. I normally like to make up my own mind, but perhaps I'm sub-consciously worried that my un-critical memories of the Eagle will take a knock if I see the book. On the other hand...

#292 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,743 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 13:16

I saw a review of this in the newspaper. Retail £14.99 UK 0845 155 0713
http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1409100146
Roger Lund

Roger and Tony: If you are looking for a book on Eagle cutaways, I would recommend "The Eagle Book of Cutaways" by L Ashwell Wood, published in 1988 by Webb and Bower at £12.95.

It features double-width spreads of cutaways as they originally appeared, and omits the "distressed/period" look of the recently published offering mentioned by Roger. There are some copies available here, at prices ranging from 'realisitic' to 'totally lunatic'. I think that the bookseller in Canterbury may find his copy lingering on his stocklist for some time.
http://www.abebooks....ook of Cutaways

#293 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 14:17

Thanks Alan, it took me a few seconds to decide to forgo the Canterbury offer, but I've ordered the cheapest!

#294 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 17:28

Just picked up my copy of the Eagle cutaways, brings back a load of memories! It's nicely produced, but it's not right, in my opinion, to call L. Ashwell Wood 'the originator and pioneer of the cutaway style of illustration' as Denis Gifford claims. Ho hum...

#295 Charles E Taylor

Charles E Taylor

• 175 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 20:23

Happy New Year

This is a very interesting thread.

As part of my work I have been doing some research into aircraft piston engines.

I came across this.

http://s257.photobuc...pier_sabre2.jpg

More of this work can be found here.

http://www.khulsey.c...koto_ouchi.html

Please enjoy. and notice Frank Halford's Genius.

Charlie

#296 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 20:04

Charlie,

For your interest, check out www.2wings.com. On the Home page go to: ENGINE/FWF > Kevin's Engine CD.
There you will find some interesting Russian illustrations and very informative diagrams for the M14 9 cylinder
radial engine.

:up: :up: :up:

Cheers,

Tom

#297 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 22:14

There is an interesting cutaway of the Ford C100 in MS. No illustrator credited though
Roger Lund

#298 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 22:36

Originally posted by Tom Johnson
Charlie,

For your interest, check out www.2wings.com. On the Home page go to: ENGINE/FWF > Kevin's Engine CD.
There you will find some interesting Russian illustrations and very informative diagrams for the M14 9 cylinder
radial engine.

:up: :up: :up:

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for the link Tom, very good work there ,interesting enough to order the CD.

#299 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 22:41

There is an interesting cutaway of the Ford C100 in MS. No illustrator credited though
Roger Lund

Whet our appetite Roger !! :confused:

Advertisement

#300 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 23:20

If it is a near side-on view going right-to-left I think it is a Terry Collins drawing, he did a lot for FMC and I have never seen that car drawn by anyone else.