Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13352 replies to this topic

#3151 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 19:26

creek, stream,....doesn't it actually depend on the size and the amount of water it passes ?
To me a creek is actually larger than a stream
Oh bugger me...I'll try and stick to cutaways

Advertisement

#3152 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:27

"Creek will do Tom, it sounds more romantic."

... RILL ?

#3153 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:38

... RILL ?[/i]

I grant you, OL, that 'rill' has a certain alure, much like 'boskey dell', but having been strongly influenced by American music, 'creek' has a powerful effect.

Stictly speaking I think a creek has less to do with flowing water, more like an inlet, and there probably is a pecking order of sizes, rill possibly the smallest, but without googling I may be wrong. 'Bayou' is up there with 'creek'.

#3154 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:46

I grant you, OL, that 'rill' has a certain alure, much like 'boskey dell', but having been strongly influenced by American music, 'creek' has a powerful effect.

Stictly speaking I think a creek has less to do with flowing water, more like an inlet, and there probably is a pecking order of sizes, rill possibly the smallest, but without googling I may be wrong. 'Bayou' is up there with 'creek'.

Interesting diversion here. Think Bayou is more like a swamp, and then only in the Southern US. Never heard of a Bayou in Rhode Island, and I can remember going fishing in a creek (prounced crik) living in Central Illinois. We had an actual stream flowing through Thousand Oaks (California) while I lived there, and it became probably a 50-foot waterfall at one point ... and I used to live on Rushing Creek Place, which had no water near it unless someone left the hose on while washing their car. Seemed rather misleading and romantic for being in the middle of an official desert area.
Of course, we also have the difference between supper and dinner ... which generally has little to do with water, of course.
Ah, the drifting of the senior minds ...
Tom West ... unless you know something different.

#3155 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:50

G'day Tony - crikey, isn't it past your bed time yet?
Tongue was firmly planted in cheek with that one ..
But I have to say that our very own "Mighty Murray" is, tragically, on its way to becoming a bayou/creek/ ... whatever.

I'll take this opportunity to say a huge "thankyou" to all of you who have posted images in this thread: it's truly fascinating, and has cost me a LOT of hard drive space.

Season's greetings to you all and a great 2010 :up:

Geoff.

#3156 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 23:14

G'day Tony - crikey, isn't it past your bed time yet?
Tongue was firmly planted in cheek with that one ..
But I have to say that our very own "Mighty Murray" is, tragically, on its way to becoming a bayou/creek/ ... whatever.

I'll take this opportunity to say a huge "thankyou" to all of you who have posted images in this thread: it's truly fascinating, and has cost me a LOT of hard drive space.

Season's greetings to you all and a great 2010 :up:

Geoff.

Geoff, my mum lets me stay up late on Fridays, and anyway school broke up today, and it's nearly Crimble, so all in all I'm off the hook! Also, she dozed off cuddling a bottle of Chardonnay, so I reckon I've got an hour or two, unless her ciggie sets fire to the sofa! It's amazing how quickly those cheap sofas go up, if you're not up and out in five seconds you're toast. And never go back for the bottle... Mind you, her motto is "Drink it quick, there's less chance of knocking it off the arm of the sofa onto the shagpile!"

This thread is fun, I've seen a lot I wouldn't have seen, and met a lot of nice people - glad you've enjoyed it too. Happy Christmas, and lots of rain.

#3157 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 23:26

Interesting diversion here. Think Bayou is more like a swamp, and then only in the Southern US.

Well, I meant 'up there' in connotation, Tom, rather than actual definition. I was thinking of 'Blue Bayou' by The Big 'O', versus 'Cripple Creek' by - er, Wotsisname.

'Rushing Creek Place' does sound a little of an exageration, but a nice name. Can't blame the developers for putting a spin on it, but it may be that it lost volume with changes in demand up-stream.

#3158 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:34

Well, I meant 'up there' in connotation, Tom, rather than actual definition. I was thinking of 'Blue Bayou' by The Big 'O', versus 'Cripple Creek' by - er, Wotsisname.

'Rushing Creek Place' does sound a little of an exageration, but a nice name. Can't blame the developers for putting a spin on it, but it may be that it lost volume with changes in demand up-stream.

Tony,
Those overlapping and regional words can be confusing, especially when you start throwing Aussie or New Zealand into the mix ... which we don't have to do here.
Blue Bayou was Roy Orbison, who was Southern, while Cripple Creek was by the Band, who were from the west and the north. Bayou and that sort of thing is a definite southern concept here, but it does make a great visual for a song.
Rushing Creek Place was exactly 1/4 mile long, and made a perfect half mile per lap walk when I started trying to do so again. It was a double cul de sac, which was fed by a little street called Floating Cloud Place; the street signs almost touched the street was so short.
And, don't get started on all the Spanish names that get infused out here, as contrasted to the Indian names in the east (woo-woo Indian, of course), so there is real variety to the flavor of place names across the US.
And, that nearest stream was probably a half-mile away, certainly not near enough to have a street where we were named in its honor. The waterfall was pretty cool, however, if there was enough water to have it actually reach the bottom without evaporating completely.
Ah, enough of the geographic topic ... back to the drawings ...
Tom West

#3159 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 22:47

back to the drawings ...

Re-scanned Lotus 25 cutaway by James A. Allington (better quality)

Posted Image

Lotus 29 cutaway by James A. Allington

Posted Image

and Lotus 25 cutaway by Collins

Posted Image

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 19 December 2009 - 22:47.

Advertisement

#3160 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 00:50

and Lotus 33 cutaway by Bruno Betti

Posted Image

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 20 December 2009 - 09:42.

#3161 carvad

carvad

• 54 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:06

Help, help, help! :)

I just found this cutaway of the AAC 815.

Who is artist?

Does anybody has this cutaway in better quality&resolution?

Posted Image

#3162 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:38

Who is artist?

Same person who wrote his name under it, carvad! Giovanni Cavara. Lovely car.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 20 December 2009 - 09:40.

#3163 carvad

carvad

• 54 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:47

Same person who wrote his name under it, carvad! Giovanni Cavara. Lovely car.

Yes, Tony, there are name under it. But quality is shit and I afraid to make a mistake. So ask here! thank you

Edited by carvad, 20 December 2009 - 10:53.

#3164 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 15:22

Perhaps if you like cutaway drawings you might like cutaway models... http://craftsmanship...um.com/Park.htm
Rob

More of Mr Park here; wonderful stuff.
http://www.dailymail...-aeroplane.html
Roger Lund

#3165 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 15:34

Help, help, help! :)

Who is artist?

Does anybody has this cutaway in better quality&resolution?

Posted Image

I have looked in my indices ( yes lingo perfectionists....I did take O level Latin ) and it is in Cavara's book
"60 vetturi ai Raggi X", so I will retrieve my book from the bookseller and scan it.

#3166 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 15:39

More of Mr Park here; wonderful stuff.
http://www.dailymail...-aeroplane.html
Roger Lund

Absolutely incredible, a cutaway drawing is something, this borders on being unbelieveable.

#3167 TWest

TWest

• 1,570 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 18:05

I have looked in my indices ( yes lingo perfectionists....I did take O level Latin ) and it is in Cavara's book
"60 vetturi ai Raggi X", so I will retrieve my book from the bookseller and scan it.

Marc,
That is a wonderful book. I found a copy maybe 15 years ago and have had it close since that point. The only problem that I have had with it was that they used pretty grainy paper so it doesn't bring up the drawing details as cleanly as it might. Some great artwork representing the high points of Italian automotive art. Very cool stuff ... and to find 60 illustrations like this in one point was quite stunning to see.
Tom West

#3168 carvad

carvad

• 54 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 18:51

it's a great news! I'll be waiting impatiently

#3169 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 19:55

it's a great news! I'll be waiting impatiently

carvad, I just realised I had already scanned most of the book before sending it away to be sold.

Here is AAC 815, Tony may be able to come up with a cleaner scan though !
Posted Image

#3170 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 21:20

Here is AAC 815, Tony may be able to come up with a cleaner scan though !

I think you've done it again Marc! You must mean Tom...

#3171 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 21:23

I think you've done it again Marc! You must mean Tom...

I must be losing my touch, maybe I should quit before my ailment gets worse..........

#3172 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 21:26

I must be losing my touch, maybe I should quit before my ailment gets worse..........

If it's easier just write Tom everytime and leave us to sort it out! ;)

#3173 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 22:08

back to the drawings ...

Lotus 29 cutaway by James A. Allington

Posted Image

Ibsen

Ibsen....you are the king of cutawayland ! you are finding the most amazing drawings
I had never heard of this one let alone having seen it !
Masterclass find !! thank you very much :up:

Just look at that V8 lump in the back of the little Lotus....awesome !

Edited by macoran, 20 December 2009 - 22:22.

#3174 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 13:14

Happy Christmas everyone...

Posted Image

#3175 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 13:19

Happy Christmas everyone...

Posted Image

Oi! Smarj! You've cut away the bit I wanted! Seasons Greetings to you too - I hope the New Year sees many more sketches!

#3176 theglenster

theglenster

• 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 17:13

as i cant stand mince pies ill pretend its a steak and kidney pie ;) which you cant buy here for love nor money :( and making them absoulty eludes me, along with yorky puds :rolleyes:
have a gooden everyone

#3177 ovfi

ovfi

• 184 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 19:46

To all you, who maintain this wonderful and good humored thread alive, specially Marc and Toni Mateus (Portuguese version), I'm posting a special recipe for Christmas cookies, which was given to me many years ago by my old aunt Gilda who lives in Portland (Oregon, USA), and is a "cordon-bleu cuisinière" .

Ingredients:

1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer...Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one teaspoon of sugar...Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK, try another cup ... just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit, Pick the frigging fruit off floor...
Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who giveshz a sheet. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS

#3178 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 20:04

To all you, who maintain this wonderful and good humored thread alive, specially Marc and Toni Mateus (Portuguese version), I'm posting a special recipe for Christmas cookies, which was given to me many years ago by my old aunt Gilda who lives in Portland (Oregon, USA), and is a "cordon-bleu cuisinière" .

Ingredients:

1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer...Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one teaspoon of sugar...Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK, try another cup ... just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit, Pick the frigging fruit off floor...
Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who giveshz a sheet. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS

Weeeeeeeeeee whoopie !!! the Cose Juervo Quetila tasted great, the Cristmas Chookies I dunno.
EEEE Whoop die doooo
Baking is fun !!
mmm Merry Christmas to all and hoping for a fantabulous New Year !!!

We should be enjoying a lot more Dutaway Crawings in 2010 !!

#3179 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 23:10

Lotus 29 by Brian Hatton

Posted Image

and Lotus 29 by unknown artist (I saw this brick pavement before)

Posted Image

All old version with stack pipes.

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 21 December 2009 - 23:13.

Advertisement

#3180 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 23:16

Roger If my memory still serves me as it should, do those pages have a red background and thick black "framing"
I think it is the sport racer job where Webster even cut/shaped and rivetted his wheel rims from sheet ?

I knew it !! Last I looked at it must of (!!! such language use is subject of another thread) been 10 years ago!!
I am ............... pats self on the shoulder ! Like I said red background, black frame.
My comment on the wheel rims proves I am a normal fallable human.
Posted Image
Edit, thanks for the scans Roger

Edited by macoran, 21 December 2009 - 23:18.

#3181 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 00:01

Ah Oscar - thanks for the recipe - I have tears running down my face. I've been having a nightmarish time sorting out my taxes (I've misplaced my invoice book) and felt thoroughly miserable until I read your post.

#3182 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:45

All old version with stack pipes.

Ibsen

I think all lotus 29's had stack pipes Ibsen, the Ford V8 used had a two-plane crank, it was only when the four-cam engine with a flat-plane cranckshaft was introduced in the Lotus 38 that the beautiful 'bunch of bananas' system was introduced. Thanks for the scans, I hadn't seen either before!

#3183 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:02

There is another cutaway of the Lotus 29 done by Gordon Bruce in the July 1963 issue of Sports Car Graphic. Unfortunately my scanner won't handle the two page illustration and I haven't mastered stitching them together. The significance of this car, at least to the Indy race, may be drawn from the number of cutaways created. All of the cutaways show the development version of the 29 with the organ pipe exhaust system, the two cars in the 1963 500 had the bundle-of-snakes crossover exhaust system. I only attended the 500 once, I've always been glad it was the 1963 race.

#3184 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:55

With many thanks to Marc for stitching the pieces together, here's the third Lotus 29 cutaway by Gordon Bruce. Marc's ability is amazing and much appreciated; I know where the seam should be but I can't find it!

Posted Image

I've been viewing this thread with great interest over the past year or so, and while recovering from surgery the past two weeks have had the opportunity to go through the first 60 pages. Thanks everyone for sharing the cutaways and the look behind the curtain provided by those who produce them.

My interest in things mechanical was stimulated at a young age by the three-view and cross section drawings of railway locomotives in various modeling magazines. I could study them for hours and actually grasped how the mechanical components worked, although it took a few college level courses in thermodynamics to understand how the super-heated steam portion functioned. Around 1962 I discovered Road & Track and Sports Car Graphic and their beautiful cutaway drawings, and I was doomed forever to think as an engineer. Not that there's anything wrong with being able to think in three or four dimensions.

Again, thanks to all the contributors to this thread.

#3185 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 14:34

With many thanks to Marc for stitching the pieces together, here's the third Lotus 29 cutaway by Gordon Bruce. Marc's ability is amazing and much appreciated; I know where the seam should be but I can't find it!

Posted Image

I've been viewing this thread with great interest over the past year or so, and while recovering from surgery the past two weeks have had the opportunity to go through the first 60 pages. Thanks everyone for sharing the cutaways and the look behind the curtain provided by those who produce them.

My interest in things mechanical was stimulated at a young age by the three-view and cross section drawings of railway locomotives in various modeling magazines. I could study them for hours and actually grasped how the mechanical components worked, although it took a few college level courses in thermodynamics to understand how the super-heated steam portion functioned. Around 1962 I discovered Road & Track and Sports Car Graphic and their beautiful cutaway drawings, and I was doomed forever to think as an engineer. Not that there's anything wrong with being able to think in three or four dimensions.

Again, thanks to all the contributors to this thread.

That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I am also amazed with Unknown Artist. He seems to have done an amazing and varied range of automobiles! A merry Christmas, Holiday and New Years. I am off to Miami for much warmer weather!

#3186 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,068 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 16:17

I just found something: Opel Manta 400 by Jim Bomber.

Manta 400

Never heard the name. Any info on the artist?

#3187 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 16:28

Manta 400

It's Jim Bamber the Autosport cartoon man, who is also a very accomplished illustrator and artist :)

#3188 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 16:40

It's Jim Bamber

Jim Bomber sounds really cool!

#3189 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 16:44

Jim Bomber sounds really cool!

A wrestling illustrator? :)

#3190 brickyard

brickyard

• 604 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 17:12

Are you talkin' to me? :cool:

Merry Christmas
Luis Antonio Mateus (portuguese indeed) :lol: :lol: :lol:

#3191 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 18:04

Merry Christmas

And Happy Christmas from Anthony Matthews!

#3192 ovfi

ovfi

• 184 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 19:03

Ah Oscar - thanks for the recipe - I have tears running down my face. I've been having a nightmarish time sorting out my taxes (I've misplaced my invoice book) and felt thoroughly miserable until I read your post.

I'm glad aunt Gilda recipe makes you feel happy in the middle of a tax nightmare. That matches well her spirit. :)
I wish you a Happy Christmas and all your tax problems solved.

Merry Christmas

Sometime ago people here were kidding with Tony Matthews name in French and other languages, IIRC they forgot to mention his name in Portuguese. I targeted him and shot you, I didn't knew you had an Antonio between Luis and Mateus, I only knew the Luis Mateus, the Portuguese Brickyard. :lol:
Happy Christmas to all you, Tony Matthews, Toni Mateus, Toine Matthieu, and Toni Matteo.

#3193 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 19:06

Happy Christmas to all you, Tony Matthews, Toni Mateus, Toine Matthieu, and Toni Matteo.

I have never been so many people!

#3194 carvad

carvad

• 54 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 21:40

carvad, I just realised I had already scanned most of the book before sending it away to be sold.

Here is AAC 815
Posted Image

Great image! Great cutaway! Bravo, Cavara!

Thank you so much, macoran!

#3195 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 21:40

Manta 400

Second Bamber cutaway to be seen so far, did he do many ?

#3196 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 21:43

"MulTonymous" or something like that should be added to the King's English Dictionary.

But, before I get carried away too far...........

I want to wish you all a very Happy and Merry Christmas !
If you do venture into the kitchen.... cook with measure.....or you will end up tossing the turkey in the shredder.

Enjoy your food and the wee drinkies, and of course all the family get togethers,

For 2010, I know we will all put our best feet forward and all do our best !!

You don't know my family of course, but Sonja , myself, the tall lad Vincent, daughter Kim and little Diégo wish you a happy New Year.

Edited by macoran, 23 December 2009 - 21:52.

#3197 dovatf

dovatf

• 44 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 21:48

Many thanks, Tony for all your beautiful cutaways ! And Happy Christmas too !

What about this one. Could you post it here in a bigger format ? Is the copyright property of GM ?

Posted Image

Edit : Ooops... sorry, I see it's a David Kimble one !

Edited by dovatf, 23 December 2009 - 21:50.

#3198 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 21:56

Edit : Ooops... sorry, I see it's a David Kimble one !

That David Kimble - what a busy bee!

Posted Image

In the process of looking for Christmas decorations in the attic I found an album of 35mm Kodachrome slides of artwork - this included. It is not very good but shows a drawing in the middle of morphing into colour - or is it? Perhaps it was a painting, and the paint is being slowly, carefully removed to reveal the drawing! Stranger things have happened...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 23 December 2009 - 22:00.

#3199 brickyard

brickyard

• 604 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 23:09

Neither do I. :lol:

Merry Christmas to all :wave:

Advertisement

#3200 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 23:11