Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13427 replies to this topic

#3451 seasalt

seasalt

• 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:48

You may already know of this site with rally car cutaways, but just in case: http://silkrallyradio.biz/drawings.htm

Advertisement

#3452 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 15:23

You may already know of this site with rally car cutaways, but just in case: http://silkrallyradio.biz/drawings.htm

Funny how four people are thanked for the cutaways, non of whom have done one cutaway.

#3453 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 18:52

Whilst trying to find some other info the other day I checked my copy of Grand Prix Guide 74. Did not find what I was looking for but did come across a series of Cutaways by a G Piola of all that years (1973) F1 cars as well as some others in the sports car section including a Roux Matra MS 670, B Betti 3000 CSL and a Ferrari 312P. Odd that I have not noted Piola's name yet on the thread. Does anyone have any more of his work or know more about him?

Cheers
Lee

As alansart mentions, Piola's "car mods" sketches are published after each GP in Autosport and Autosprint and just before GPs in Autosprint, as well as being aired on some internet sites.
His artwork is more of the "Quick draw McGraw" sketching of details work rather than the detailed cutaway work of the artists being discussed here.
I am in no way belittling him, as I enjoy his work very much. Actually because he does show the changes to cars between GPs, we get a better view of the speed of
development in F1.

He has also done proper full car cutaway work....
His Lotus 72
Posted Image

#3454 alansart

alansart

• 4,041 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 19:21

As alansart mentions, Piola's "car mods" sketches are published after each GP in Autosport and Autosprint and just before GPs in Autosprint, as well as being aired on some internet sites.
His artwork is more of the "Quick draw McGraw" sketching of details work rather than the detailed cutaway work of the artists being discussed here.
I am in no way belittling him, as I enjoy his work very much. Actually because he does show the changes to cars between GPs, we get a better view of the speed of
development in F1.

He has also done proper full car cutaway work....
His Lotus 72
Posted Image

It's called artistic licence :)

It's not far off though.

#3455 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 20:31

Of course Tom, and we all, if we are in the position to, try to make our work look different. In this case I was more concerned about technical accuracy, which is what it is all about in the end. The Elite was simple and elegant, but difficult to illustrate showing the construction of the body/chassis combination. It may be that the only really effective method was an exploded drawing, as Jim did for the Workshop Manual.

Thanks for the Cooper Monaco - another one that I don't remember ever seeing before.

Tony, This site has been pretty spectacular for finding things like that. I have a listing of something like 3800 cutaways (without double checking the list), and have downloaded over 1000 out of this group. While I have copies of many of them, this gives me digital files that are, in many cases, pretty good looking. Certainly saves time and adds to the collection. It also gets pretty impressive to see how many more things were done by some of my heroes of the sport, including your work. Seems like people still appreciate these things, just need the money to be able to buy them. Since I am working more with individual builders or owners instead of manufacturers, the economy has probably hit them harder. I had one drawing that I got the initial payment on, then had the guy tell me that he just couldn't pay the balance. Has a business that was going great in the construction business (custom circular staircases was the specialty). His business is still operating, but he is now his only employe and hasn't had a project come in for over 18 months, the last time I talked with him. Can't get blood from a stone, but could have saved some time if I had known ...
Rough out there ... and here ...
Thanks for all of the contributions here, guys. This has really been enjoyable, and I am pretty much brand new on the site.
Tom West

#3456 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 23:53

Odd that I have not noted Piola's name yet on the thread.
Cheers
Lee

Maybe not much mention (I must have mentioned him early on in the thread, when I listed whose works I have collected) of Giorgio Piola because of his
lack of detail through the "clad" parts of the cars he drew completely.
Compare
Giorgio Piola's McLaren M19
Posted Image
and
Tony Matthews' McLaren M19
Posted Image
Compare
Piola's Lotus 72
Posted Image
and
Bill Bennett's Lotus 72
Posted Image

You'll see that where Piola does his equal best to show the normally visible parts in quite good detail,
his view through the clad parts of the car are much less detailed. You see less monocoque detailing, fewer bulkheads, gussetry etc

Each artist has his own signature~~
Going by that, one could say that Gordon Bruce is less of a cutaway artist than many others because many of his drawings show car innards with a body outline around it.
Granted .....most of the cars he drew were spaceframe based, so there is only tubes, air and then the body outline to show, but we enjoy seeing his work all the same.

I, for one think they are all great artists because they show me stuff I like and am interested in, and I thank them all for giving me a lovely hobby !

Edited by macoran, 15 January 2010 - 00:04.

#3457 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 00:24

Check amazon.de. Somebody offers it for €1.10 (+€3.00 shipping)...

Can't believe my luck !
Hit an E-bay button 25 seconds before bidding end time, and got a copy for 99p !!!

#3458 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:35

Can't believe my luck !
Hit an E-bay button 25 seconds before bidding end time, and got a copy for 99p !!!

I guess I know one person who's pretty happy now. :up:

#3459 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,668 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:06

Although unfortunately I'm not going myself this year (I've landed my twin sister's 50th birthday celebration a long time ago), an Aquila CR1 will be on display throughout at the Britcar stand, and Dan Suenson and Alex Frederichsen will be there for a chat with anyone interested.

I thought this was the best thread in which to wish Anders and his sister many happy returns of their half-century celebrations.

Happy Birthday, Anders. :clap: :clap:

Advertisement

#3460 DHFiallo

DHFiallo

• 69 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 15:38

I found these on that Japanese site and thought some might like them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3461 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,232 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 16:26

Two that I did not see on the index. Both from Sports Car Illustrated, March , 1960. Brian

Posted Image
Scarab Formula One engine by C O LaTourette

Posted Image
Renault Turbine - "Shooting Star" I do not see an artist credited

#3462 DOHC

DOHC

• 11,883 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 18:00

It's called artistic licence :)

It's not far off though.

I suppose that you are referring to the extreme perspective, fairly exaggerated IMO. But that cutaway, published in Cimarosti's book (and where else?) is probably inspired by the rather extreme rear location of the wing used by Peterson in the 1973 French GP:

Lotus 72E 1973 French GP

Piola has just taken the wing another ten (nonexistent) inches back... :cat:

Edited by DOHC, 15 January 2010 - 18:03.

#3463 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 18:17

Posted Image

An artist who drew this must be a very talented person with luxuriant imagination, as this is a car that never existed: the F1 Kharkov 6. This cutaway drawing was published in the one of the British magazines in 1956-58 - I don't know exactly where and who was its author. And this is a photo that I suspect of inspiring the unknown artist: the real Kharkov 6, a record car built in 1952:

Posted Image
(From 'Illustrierter Motorsport', January 1954)

#3464 goro

goro

• 36 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 19:16

Artist is Sergio Baratta (Tyrrell 019) from Italian journal GENTE MOTORI 1990

http://www.postimage....php?v=Pq1GpG09

http://www.postimage....php?v=aV1rMawi

Edited by goro, 15 January 2010 - 19:41.

#3465 Waka

Waka

• 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 19:32

Umelec je Sergio Baratta (Tyrrell 019) z talianskeho časopisu GENTE MOTORI 1990

[url = [url="http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1Gl4FA"]http://www.postimage....php?v=Pq1Gl4FA[/url]] [img http://s3.postimage.org/1Gl4FA.jpg =] [/ url]

[url = [url="http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1GljDr"]http://www.postimage....php?v=Pq1GljDr[/url]] [img http://s3.postimage.org/1GljDr.jpg =] [/ url]

is it just me or do the these two links come with inappropriate pop-ups?

Waka

#3466 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,232 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 19:37

is it just me or do the these two links come with inappropriate pop-ups?

Waka

Well, I'm getting the front and rear half of the car - but I'm also being told that I can find a "f**k buddy" near my hometown! So we got that going for us, if we should choose. Nice cutaway. :lol:

#3467 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 19:51

but I'm also being told that I can find a "f**k buddy" near my hometown! So we got that going for us, if we should choose. :lol:

Ha ! I just had Miss Butterflay say hai to me :rotfl:

#3468 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 21:07

The two offering themselves to me seem to think I'm in Cranfield. There was a time when I'd driven even further than that for some entertainment, but it's been a long day...

#3469 ABG

ABG

• 59 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 22:27

Killing time waiting for my buddies.

http://img36.imagesh...l019edited.jpg/

#3470 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 00:48

I thought this was the best thread in which to wish Anders and his sister many happy returns of their half-century celebrations.

Thanks, Tim - you're very kind :up:

I often wish I had more time (and/or money) so that I could contribute to this grand thread in some way!

BOT: I just love the style of LaTourette - one that I feel drawn to emulate (pun partially intended...) for monochrome work - his shading (how was it done?) and the unusually effective mix of cutaway and ghosting are brilliant. His drawings certainly have a very personal character, something that seems to be missing from modern computer renderings, impressive as they may be...

#3471 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:03

Oops! I didn't see Tim's post until now - let me add my congratulations. Very best wishes to you both.

#3472 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:16

Can I join the party ? Happy Birthday Anders !!!

#3473 Waka

Waka

• 38 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:32

whew, that's a relief - if they're close to you then I'm safe here in Godzone...

found a few scans from what, if I recall correctly, was a monthly magazine that attempted to describe all makes & models of all car marques. The first is the Aston Martin DB6. No clues as to the artist...

Posted Image

Waka

#3474 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 818 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 18:27

Pinifarina Sigma Grand Prix 1969 by Theo Page

Posted Image

Ibsen

#3475 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 818 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 18:46

whew, that's a relief - if they're close to you then I'm safe here in Godzone...

found a few scans from what, if I recall correctly, was a monthly magazine that attempted to describe all makes & models of all car marques. The first is the Aston Martin DB6. No clues as to the artist...

Posted Image

Waka

In the book "O carro" page 488 and 489, brazilian version of "The Car" the cutaway is mirrored and I can read the logo Superleggera at the corner of the bonnet, so this car is right hand drive.
The cutaway credit goes to Inkwell.

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 16 January 2010 - 18:48.

#3476 DOHC

DOHC

• 11,883 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 20:20

Pinifarina Sigma Grand Prix 1969 by Theo Page

Posted Image

Ibsen

I vividly recall when that was first published some 40 years ago, as part of the discussion of how to make F1 safer, with large impact zones, &c. Couldn't help it, but back then I found the proposed car awfully ugly. Nowadays, I think that it at least had beautiful exhaust plumbing...

#3477 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 21:59

Honda NSX by Kevin Hulsey
Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 16 January 2010 - 22:00.

#3478 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 818 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 00:35

Tom, those Allington posts are stunning, I am replacing the ones I had with those you are posting !
Tony, I already had file on discs (twin and single caliper) now I have a mesh file !

I am looking for a better scan of Jim Allington's Birdcage
Posted Image

Marc, here is a better scan.

Posted Image

and a Maserati Tipo 64 by Giovanni Cavara

Posted Image

Ibsen

#3479 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:13

Marc, here is a better scan.

Posted Image

and a Maserati Tipo 64 by Giovanni Cavara

Posted Image

Ibsen

Ibsen,
Thanks for the run of those Maserati illustrations. Will save me doing them now, as they were on the pile for scanning. Have a few more to post, and a bunch more to scan ...
And, I appreciate the comment on the Allington scans, Mark. Glad you appreciate the effort, as they do take a while to get where I have gone with them ... not perfect, but much cleaner than what was published as I saw them.
Tom West

Advertisement

#3480 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:24

OK, first of a couple for the evening ...
Rather an unusual pick, I would think, but it is well represented by the Clarence LaTourette illustration from August, 1959 Sports Car Illustrated. The Borgward RS wasn't exactly high on the radar as far as most sporty car types that I have seen. Anyone with any background on it beyond that original drawing? Was it ever actually produced?
Tom West

Posted Image

#3481 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:28

This one certainly should be familiar to most, almost everywhere, as it was one of those ubiquitous cars of the time, the MGA Twin Cam. Here is the car as presented in June, 1959 by Clarence LaTourette in Sports Car Illustrated.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3482 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:31

Another classic sports racer, presented in the December, 1957 issue of Sports Car Illustrated. Clarence LaTourette's presentation of the Aston Martin DBR1-300.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3483 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:33

And another from the hand of Clarence LaTourette, this time moving into the Formula 1 class with the clean little 1963 effort from ATS. This was published in the May, 1963 issue of Car & Driver.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3484 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:35

And, another LaTourette piece, the Cooper Climax roadster, as published in Sports Car Illustrated, November, 1956.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3485 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:40

And, now you have to look at a couple of my pieces. This was the first one that I had published in Car Craft Magazine as part of a Cutaway of the Month series that was run for a while. This series was the reason that I had any thought I could do this kind of thing and was sort of my pattern, as I always liked the Steve Swaja artwork as well as any, as it was clean and expressive, but with wonderful line control.
This piece actually ended up running with a photo of the car burning to the ground ... more on that with the next post.
Tom West

Posted Image

#3486 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:45

This was a second illustration that I ended up doing for Beach City Corvette, the sponsor of the car ... in case that wasn't abundantly obvious. I actually left a race on Saturday night, having just made myself sick in pushing to get this thing completed. I left early, having talked with the team about bringing it down to the dealership the next morning where they were to have a big marketing and planning gathering. I woke up the next morning to see a big photo in the local newspaper showing the car being completely consumed with flames.
I drove down there with my stomach feeling like it had moved up to my throat, and arrived to see the burned hulk of the car strapped to the flatbed trailer, as no more than the steel tube chassis, the engine block (the aluminum heads were gone), and the steel tube headers. This was probably one of the best looking race cars of the time, at least in drag racing, so it has since become a real legendary car.
Anyway, this is the drawing ...
Tom West

Posted Image

#3487 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 15:46

Rather an unusual pick, I would think, but it is well represented by the Clarence LaTourette illustration from August, 1959 Sports Car Illustrated. The Borgward RS wasn't exactly high on the radar as far as most sporty car types that I have seen. Anyone with any background on it beyond that original drawing? Was it ever actually produced?
Tom West

Posted Image

I read somewhere an article about the car (possibly Motor Klassik 11/85).
There were three Borgward rs 1500 build. One survived and is now owned by the son of (IIRC) one of the original mechanics. The car is still running and in original condition.

Here is a link to another forum with a thread about Borgward and related companies with lots of pictures:click here!

#3488 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 16:32

And, now you have to look at a couple of my pieces. This was the first one that I had published in Car Craft Magazine as part of a Cutaway of the Month series that was run for a while. This series was the reason that I had any thought I could do this kind of thing and was sort of my pattern, as I always liked the Steve Swaja artwork as well as any, as it was clean and expressive, but with wonderful line control.
This piece actually ended up running with a photo of the car burning to the ground ... more on that with the next post.
Tom West

Posted Image

Tom, I presume that would be THE Gary Gabelich of LSR fame ?

#3489 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 16:41

I read somewhere an article about the car (possibly Motor Klassik 11/85).
There were three Borgward rs 1500 build. One survived and is now owned by the son of (IIRC) one of the original mechanics. The car is still running and in original condition.

Here is a link to another forum with a thread about Borgward and related companies with lots of pictures:click here!

Completely off topic, but on Jan 4th, the Dutch Borgward specialist Toxopeus lost most of his workshops and cars to a savage fire.
I've been to see them (they are only two mile down the road) and offer my sympathy, they are already very busy to reconstruct the burnt down place !!!

#3490 terrance trump

terrance trump

• 30 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 17:47

Inspired by the mention of cutaway drawings and cutaway drawing artists in the fairly recent Ford Cosworth SCA thread, I find it timely that a TNF thread is dedicated to this wonderful amalgamation of art and technology and the artists that have provided us racing car enthusiasts so much technical insight and aesthetic pleasure over the years.

The cutaway drawing perhaps did more than anything to kindle my interest in the technical side of motoring in general and racing in particular – informative and so pleasing to look at. I’m sure other TNF’ers may recognize that sentiment.

For decades it seemed to me that the cutaway drawing was such an integral aspect of news, information and data concerning all things motoring in general, and racing cars in particular. There was a time when one could count on a number of cutaway drawings in numerous motor sports related publications to keep one occupied over the off-season – they don’t seem anywhere near as frequent anymore, though Giorgio Piola is still very active. I wonder why that is: Is it due to the current and increasing secrecy/paranoia resulting from corporate involvement and megabudgets in all levels of racing, the artists of a lost art dying off and not being replaced, or is it because publishers believe that current corporate customers and us enthusiasts will accept nothing less than a fully rendered 3D computer graphic model? Thoughts, gentlemen?

My personal favourite is Tony Matthews, who appears still to be active, providing one finds the right publications. In particular, I find that his colour renderings are without peer – simply superb. Never the most detailed, but incredibly crisp and tangible with almost mathematical precision.

For monochrome linework, the late, great Jim Allington was the Master – the amount of detail he could include was staggering, and he was an expert in combining cutaway and ghosting techniques. He seems to have inspired the equally impressive David Kimble, who does seem to go somewhat overboard on detail occasionally, IMO.

I’ve already mentioned Piola – I wonder if Italians Rosso and the Bettis are still alive and active – all very good at colour work, as were the French Bellus – are they still around?

Others that I can think of OTTOMH are Brian Hatton, Theo Page, Bill Bennett – there were more good ones in Autocar, Motor, MotorSport and Autosport that I can’t recall off-hand. Lots of lovely line-and-wash work.

Then there is, and were, the more artistic technical renderings – not so much cutaways – of Werner Bührer and Bob Freeman.

I’m sure others can add to the list – perhaps with information on what publications the various artists were and are active in then and now!

As this appears to be a history of Illustrating and illustrators and is not just motor race related, I thought I would add some really early stuff. The first by Frederick Gordon-Crosby is really rare in itself because he was not renowned for doing this type of technical illustration. He is more widely known as a motoring artist. This illustration dates from 1927 so is very early. I would be interested to know when the first technical cutaway illustrations came about. Does anyone know?
Posted Image

#3491 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 22:23

Tom, I presume that would be THE Gary Gabelich of LSR fame ?

Marc,
Yes, that is the same guy that drove the Blue Flame car. He was actually a stand-in during the Mercury program for Walter Shirra, one of those first 7 astronauts in the US program, so he did a lot of highspeed testing, including high altitude freefalls, high speed centrifugal testing, rocket sleds and the like. His drag racing career included quite a few cars, including the Purple Gang Top Fuel car and a few others. This car caught fire and Gary actually had to bail off of the upper deck of the car in a barrel roll while the car was still doing somewhat above 30 MPH (estimated) to escape the flames.
When I saw him the nest morning at the dealership he wasn't even walking funny.
He later had his own rather unique, and singular dysfunctional 4-wheel drive, rear-engined funny car that crashed on its first run in testing at Orange County. He was practically disassembled, so they threw him in the back of a station wagon to take him over to the hospital. He never drove again, but was around the track in a wheelchair on occasion.
He has since passed away, but I can't remember the circumstances.
Gary's sister Rae is a councilwoman in Long Beach, and she promotes a memorial car show that partially honors Gary's career in Bixby Knolls, a little section of Long Beach every summer.
Hope that answers the question.
By the way, there was a Car Craft article on the car, featuring a cutaway of that 4WD car of Gary's by Kenny Youngblood.
Tom West

#3492 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 22:47

Tom West

Posted Image

Tom,
This is the closest Borgward to the LaTourette RS. The nose is shorter than his RS' and headlights are not faired in.
But just look at that raised trunk !!

http://www.flickr.co...57622285505382/
http://www.flickr.co...57622285505382/

Thanks for the Gabelich info. He died in a motorcycle accident early 1984.

Edited by macoran, 17 January 2010 - 23:12.

#3493 TWest

TWest

• 1,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 23:16

Tom,
This is the closest Borgward to the LaTourette RS. The nose is shorter than his RS' and headlights are not faired in.
But just look at that raised trunk !!
Thanks for the Gabelich info. He died in a motorcycle accident early 1984.

Thanks for the Borgward pics. Interesting car.
Also, I was wondering why Gary's death didn't connect to anything for me. 1984 was a year that was one of my stranger, at least until recently. I ended up getting laid off from my Marketing Manager position running MPC modelkits and Lionel trains in January. Moved from Michigan to Chicago to work for Playskool as design manager ... only to have the company sold to Hasbro the weekend we moved into the new house. Got the job with Revell to get me back to LA later and started that job in October. I probably missed a lot of things that happened in 1984 ...
Tom West

#3494 Waka

Waka

• 38 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:07

In the book "O carro" page 488 and 489, brazilian version of "The Car" the cutaway is mirrored and I can read the logo Superleggera at the corner of the bonnet, so this car is right hand drive.
The cutaway credit goes to Inkwell.

Ibsen

Thanks, Ibsen. The original came from the magazine 'The Encyclopedia of SuperCars' # 92. I guess the Art Director switched it around to improve the page layout.

I have a small number of 'SuperCars' & an even smaller number of 'The Car'. Strangely 'The Car' # 4 and 'SuperCars' # 11 both feature the cutaway I consider worthy of consideration as the best cutaway car ever produced - Tony Matthew's 4.5 litre Bentley (page 41). Truly a masterpiece.

Today's offering is from 'The Car' #2, the 1955 Mercedes Benz 300SL coupe by, I think, Keith Fretwell.

Posted Image

#3495 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 17:06

Strangely 'The Car' # 4 and 'SuperCars' # 11 both feature the cutaway I consider worthy of consideration as the best cutaway car ever produced - Tony Matthew's 4.5 litre Bentley (page 41). Truly a masterpiece.

You flatter me, Waka (little bit of poetry there) but I think it's more a case of your feelings about the car - there are many cutaways more deserving of praise than my Bentley, but thanks anyway!

#3496 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 20:06

Thanks, Ibsen. The original came from the magazine 'The Encyclopedia of SuperCars' # 92. I guess the Art Director switched it around to improve the page layout.

I have a small number of 'SuperCars' & an even smaller number of 'The Car'. Strangely 'The Car' # 4 and 'SuperCars' # 11 both feature the cutaway I consider worthy of consideration as the best cutaway car ever produced - Tony Matthew's 4.5 litre Bentley (page 41). Truly a masterpiece.

Good to know !! I've still got the set of Super Cars stashed away somewhere..... will have to dig ....

#3497 ABG

ABG

• 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 20:07

You flatter me, Waka (little bit of poetry there) but I think it's more a case of your feelings about the car - there are many cutaways more deserving of praise than my Bentley, but thanks anyway!

Tony

I must agree with Bonde in the first posting of this thread, you color work is without peer. If at some point in time a consensus is reached about a "best" color cutaway no doubt the artist will be Matthews. I tend to think it will be your Ferrari F2000 or Penske PC23 MB or one of your Williams or ........... I know it's a heavy burden to bare but accept it. I must say this is only my humble opinion, but I'm rarely wrong. That's it, first and last compliment of the year.

Al

#3498 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 21:38

Good to know !! I've still got the set of Super Cars stashed away somewhere..... will have to dig ....

At least I scanned the Index years ago, so now I'll know what to look for and where
Posted Image

Index scanned from last issue Super Cars ( ;) RR)

Edited by macoran, 21 January 2010 - 23:03.

#3499 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 21:49

Scrolling through Ibsen"s great Index, I see Brian Hatton's Lotus 72 hasn't been aired yet.
Anyone have a better scan please ?
Posted Image

Advertisement

#3500 Waka

Waka

• 38 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:03

Not quite, Tony - my interest in the Bentley arose because of your illustration, not the other way round.

The level of detail is quite extraordinary. Modern cars have large areas of smooth body panels. The Bentley doesn't, so the artist must be capable of rendering metal, rubber and upholstery. This you have achieved.

In addition, the three-quarter overhead view is very eye catching. The Bentley was a large car and your painting has captured it's bulk admirably, without suffering any apparent foreshortening. I suspect that the colour - almost malachite in it's intensity - adds to the appeal, an unusual colour except in racing cars.

I stand by my biased opinion Tony, the Bentley deserves to be enlarged & framed, as it does in my lounge.

Warwick