I didn't have any green paint. Actually I was asked to do the Ecurie Belge car, and it was only the third (I think) colour cutaway I had done - wrong paint (poster), wrong surface (CS10 line board) and wrong yellow - the company that did the separations for Motor Sport had a real struggle as it kept coming out orange. So, all in all, a bit of a disaster... many thanks for reminding me!
I got a bit of a chuckle out of your description of the "learning" process with this illustration. The client pretty much determines the course at times, and when they are paying ... whaddya gonna due?
I had decided that I needed to get a little background to do color, as it just wasn't part of my training (not that I had any anyway). I took a little Adult School airbrush course, just to focus the energy, and figured that my first color piece needed to be a part or mechanism of some type, not a complete car. I got a call about a month after taking the course, and ended up with a commission for a new dry sump oil pump that was going to be produced. They got my name from Hot Rod magazine, with which I had not worked for over 20 years. Not even sure how they had my newest information to give out.
They wanted to do this pump in green and black, which I thought would look horrible in the engine compartment with all the red and blue AN fittings ... but the client is the client.
I put this thing together, but left it a bit lighter so the interior parts would come through ... even had oil color inside the chambers of the pump.
It looked fairly decent, but they brought it back and said that the color needed to be a lot deeper, and to just add it on top. Their project, and I told them it would look like S, the color and the overlaying of the extra paint both ... and I was correct.
They printed it in a catalog, but sold not one piece ... because the part was GREEN.
I got a call after the show and they wanted it redone in red and blue. I cleaned the green off and repainted the thing, which finally came off not too bad. It was trying to paint confetti, as the film was starting to cut through in way too many places, but I made it work.
Note that this thing was done on film, so the actual exterior detail was painted on the back, while the interior and shading went on the front. Not the most intuitive thing to do, but since I never had the experience of doing it normally, I am not quite sure I would want to do it differently.
I ended up doing two color pieces, and ran screaming back to stick with the line work.
But, they did pay each time as I was just following instructions.
So, a yellow car ... hell, yes.