Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13436 replies to this topic

#351 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 16:36

Thanks Andrew. I've always been a bit slow to try new media, or been forced into it by the sudden disappearence of a favourite, mainly because I only painted on commisioned work and that is NOT the time to start experimenting! If I ever get around to landscape painting, which is my aim, I will certainly try acrylics. My father used them for years after he developed an allergy to turps., but took all his secrets with him to grave.

Advertisement

#352 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 19:06

Hi Tony !

Many thanks for your help !
Great work !

Was there a color version ?

Best regards !
André Acker.

Originally posted by Tony Matthews
Posted Image

1600x1200 was too big, this is 1280x1024, something in between would have been better...

Andre/Anders, forgive me gentlemen! Here it is, once again the Brave New World of digitisation has meant poor quality linework...

#353 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 21:55

Originally posted by Andre Acker

No, sorry Andre, I did think about doing a colour version, but never got round to it.

#354 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 22:05

Where else but on TNF does an amateur such as myself get the opportunity to expose my dirty laundry in such esteemed company? Since there's such an interest in working drawings, I'll take the liberty of spamming the thread a bit with the Pantera drawing you're all tiring of being endlessly flogged with...Apologies for the working stages being photographed with a cheap Chinese camera.

Pencil sketch (aka working drawing) :

Posted Image

Final colour drawing getting started:

Posted Image

"Progress":

Posted Image

A close-up of "progress":

Posted Image

...and a scan of the 'finished' drawing (hopefully in a better resolution this time, assuming I've worked out how to massage the new-look ImageShack cues) :

Posted Image

...I'll just get me coat...

#355 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 22:28

Originally posted by Andre Acker:

Responded by Tony Matthews:

No, sorry Andre, I did think about doing a colour version, but never got round to it.

If I ever find the time (when, or if ever I get pensioned!) I might do a colour version of Tony's magnificent TS9B drawing (or some other car extant only as line work) in pencil, but only with Tony's permission, of course. How different, apart from cockpit coaming, nasal treatment/radiator installation and roll hoop arrangement was the TS7 from TS9A? I rather like the functionally elegant TS7 in its original red and white Team Surtees livery, the nose on TS9B somehow IMO not quite matching the lines of the rest of the car as the arrowhead nose on TS7 and TS9.

#356 Mistron

Mistron

• 858 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 23:00

Originally posted by BRMfan
Hi Tony any chance of a book of your prints with the working drawings?

do it, do it, do it........

:)

#357 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 478 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:07

Thank you Doug, but selling prints is a mugs game, has been for some years and must be a lot worse in these interesting times...

If these working drawings were on vellum, you could probably do blue line reproductions on order or sepia- cheap to produce and you would only make them as people demand.

I know you'd sell a few here!

#358 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 478 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:09

Originally posted by Bonde
Where else but on TNF does an amateur such as myself get the opportunity to expose my dirty laundry in such esteemed company? Since there's such an interest in working drawings, I'll take the liberty of spamming the thread a bit with the Pantera drawing you're all tiring of being endlessly flogged with...Apologies for the working stages being photographed with a cheap Chinese camera.

Spectacular results considering the media used. You're obviously a righty.

#359 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 19:17

Originally posted by Bonde

Posted Image

Final colour drawing getting started:

Posted Image

"Progress":

Posted Image

A close-up of "progress":

Posted Image

...and a scan of the 'finished' drawing (hopefully in a better resolution this time, assuming I've worked out how to massage the new-look ImageShack cues) :

Posted Image

...I'll just get me coat...

Hang around Anders !!
I'd only seen the finished Pantera before, but these job sequence progress shots are very interesting !!

Did you do many on the Aquila ?

Advertisement

#360 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 20:46

Marc,

Alas, I haven't yet found the time to draw cutaways of any of the Aquilas. Morten Alstrup and I have for some time been toying around with the idea of producing a book or a series of articles about Danish racing cars, for which I am planning a series of cutaways. I'll keep you informed about any future cutaways that I do - and I am sure to do some, simply because It's something I find so enjoyable to do.

In the meantime, here's an old cutaway of a paper-project Formula Ford I did for my examns in 1984:

Posted Image

...and a cutaway I did for a class mate for his examn paper project, also 1984:

Posted Image

Although I havn't produced many cutaways, I think my style has since matured a bit all the same.

#361 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 217 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:25

Originally posted by B Squared
While looking through my Carl Hungness Indianapolis 500 yearbooks this morning, I found an article on page 76 of the 1995 edition that is titled "The Fine Art of Tony Matthews" by Ian Bamsey. Well worth the read.

Brian

Any chance of a scan + post??

Bamsey + Matthews being the reson I got 'into' engineering design in the first place (honourable mention to McCarthy's 1987 series in Autosport)

#362 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 23:16

Thank you Doug, but selling prints is a mugs game, has been for some years and must be a lot worse in these interesting times...

I just watched the old movie "Network" the other night and the emotion that actor Peter Finch
so brilliantly projected reminds of what is happening today in the world of technical art. I too, like
him, wanted to stick my head out the window and yell:

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!"

Well, maybe that is a bit extreme, but to see a form of art that is so astoundingly incredible yet be appreciated less and less with each passing week just isn't right. I think the biggest problem is that
the younger people of today who view a Tony Matthews painting just assume it had to have been done
by a computer. After all, computers are so much smarter than mere mortals. Too bad they don't get it.

I agree that the working drawings can often be more impressive than the finished piece, which is why
I am asking Tony to consider selling prints of his. As Tony says, "selling prints is a mugs game" and this
statement has much truth in it. Believe me, I've been there. In the past, an artist had to rely on the sharks of world in order to make it worthwhile of such an endeavour. Usually, the sharks were the ones who profited most. However, now with the capabilities offered to any individual by the internet, I think having a whack at it would be a good thing.

What do think Tony? I'll buy one from you.

Tom

#363 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,275 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 23:56

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While looking through my Carl Hungness Indianapolis 500 yearbooks this morning, I found an article on page 76 of the 1995 edition that is titled "The Fine Art of Tony Matthews" by Ian Bamsey. Well worth the read.

Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any chance of a scan + post?? IrishMariner

My scanner isn't large enough to handle the approximately 11 x 14 format. Otherwise I'd do so. In looking at the article/ artwork layout, I don't see a way to cohesively piece it together. Sorry.

Brian

#364 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 19:22

Posted Image
Mighty meaty, matey!

#365 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 00:08

I don't see a way to cohesively piece it together. Sorry.
Brian

If you need some help stitching scans, drop me a line.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#366 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 217 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:57

quote:

Brian
Any chance of a scan + post?? IrishMariner

My scanner isn't large enough to handle the approximately 11 x 14 format. Otherwise I'd do so. In looking at the article/ artwork layout, I don't see a way to cohesively piece it together. Sorry.

Brian

No problem.

#367 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,092 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 15:12

This 917/10 is awesome! Thanks for the post. :clap:

#368 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 16:52

Posted Image
Ilmor Chevrolet 265A in its earliest form with mechanical injection.

#369 alansart

alansart

• 4,051 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 17:07

Posted Image
Ilmor Chevrolet 265A in its earliest form with mechanical injection.

As expected, you're pretty good with an airbrush as well :)

#370 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 20:34

Oy - Tony - so you did do cutaways with a cast shadow! ;) (...and, of course, it is as impressively good as ever!)

Was the Ilmor Chevrolet painting done entirely with airbrush or is it also conventional paint brush work?

I must admit that I enjoy your finished works of art every bit as much as your working drawings - each has its own attraction. And I can´t repeat it often enough: In my opinion you have no peer in racing car cutaway illustration, and it remains a crime that you can no longer make a living from that unique gift talent of yours

...and the line of would-be customers for a book of Matthews prints is forever growing longer...

#371 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 20:51

Anders, Alan, Duc-Man et al, thank you all. I hope to have time, enforced by snow, to write a bit more, but to briefly comment on the shadow, Anders, it's there because the upward taper of the sump casting made the perspective look all wrong, so it's there just to pull the bottom left of the illustration down and restore the overall perspective. If I had chosen to draw it from the front it would not have been such a problem, the eye would expect the illustration to get smaller towards the rear - but then it would have been nearly impossible to show the gear-train in any detail.

#372 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 502 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 21:57

If printing books of photos is not on - howabout a TNF calendar?

#373 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 22:01

That's because I still haven't finished writing and collating stuff for the site!

Seems like your part of the site is up and running now !! Great job Tony !!

#374 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 23:33

Thanks Marc, there should still be some small changes, but it's surprising to me to see it! Kevin Hulsey, nice guy...

#375 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 217 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:32

Thanks for the notice of the Hulsey site (http://www.khulsey.c...y_matthews.html). It's good to read the story of the hero of this thread.

Given this week's news that salaries in motor racing are such that a technical director at a back-of-the-grid F1 team is looking for $2.5m lost wages, I still find it incredible that there isn't a queue of people at Tony's front door.

#376 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:23

Oh dear, thanks for the link.

That kevin Hulsey site is going to 'cost' a few hours of study - so much to look at and enjoy!

Hulsey's illustrations are also absolutely fantastic! Maybe I'm just getting old and biased, but 'our' Tony's subject matter and style are just, well, more 'me', in some way. On the other hand, I can relate to manually produced illustration, but how people do it with a computer tablet is beyond my understanding.

#377 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

• 101 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 18:11

Anders, Alan, Duc-Man et al, thank you all. I hope to have time, enforced by snow, to write a bit more, but to briefly comment on the shadow, Anders, it's there because the upward taper of the sump casting made the perspective look all wrong, so it's there just to pull the bottom left of the illustration down and restore the overall perspective. If I had chosen to draw it from the front it would not have been such a problem, the eye would expect the illustration to get smaller towards the rear - but then it would have been nearly impossible to show the gear-train in any detail.

Very clever solution to the perspective problem by the placement of the shadow, Tony. To me. it provides
an added bonus of bringing an eager energy to the engine. It looks like a stallion starting to rear up and launch.

Tom :up: :up: :up:

#378 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 18:13

Thank you Tom, it certainly bit Cosworth on the rump!

#379 Mistron

Mistron

• 858 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 18:59

Not sure if it's ok to post this here, but it seems appropriate. If it's not, the moderator is free to delete this post.

I'm having a clear out, and following a 'debate' it has been 'agreed' that i'm not likely to be puting these up on the wall anytime soon, so it seems sensible to let them go to someone who will do more with them than store them on top of a set of shelves......
I am about to put them on fleabay, but It seems sensible to offer them here to those who are keen on Tony's work, so if anyone would like to make me an offer, feel free to PM me.

Oh, and I missed one off the original posting (how can you forget a 312P - perhaps the nicest of the set?!?)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Originally posted by Mistron
Earlier in the thread I mentioned the Motoring news '72 collection, well, here they are.

If ever a subject deserved to be photographed properly, it is this, but I can't find a tripod and the lighting is impossible. for these faults I can only apologise! (they are a bit over A3, too big for my scanner)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm not sure about anyone else, but Whilst the finished coloured drawings are incredible I personally find the working pencil drawings so much more fascinating - I think it's that the finished works are so perfect it's hard to imagine that they are actually done by hand, where as the pencil ones are clearly the work of an incredibly skilled person.

Advertisement

#380 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 21:04

Tony,
I scanned a Shell Sport Luxembourg F5000 Lola T332 some years ago from a magazine.
It is a line cutaway in B&W......is it one of yours ? it was published without any artists sign-off.

#381 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 21:54

Originally posted by macoran

Seems like your part of the site is up and running now !! Great job Tony !!

Note that your first cutaway was of a Brabham BT 34, any chance you can show us that ?
Or does any TNF-er have a copy to scan and show us...with Tony's permission ?

#382 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 00:16

Posted Image

The 'missing'312P. One of the most beautiful sports racers ever designed, hard to believe it is from the 1970's, it could be current.

#383 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 00:28

Posted Image

Yes Marc, one of mine. Artwork quite often has reference to the artist/illustrator removed! If I can find an A4 print of the BT34 I will scan and post it, but it isn't very good..

Sorry, mistron, I didn't look hard enough to see that you had already posted the 312P.

#384 lotuslass

lotuslass

• 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:03

Good afternoon Gentleman, I feel somewhat out of my depth here in this forum. Although I have a love of classic English cars and we do have a Lotus Elan (1969 mode)l and our office is full to capacity with Lotus memorablilia LOL but still find it a bit scary coming in here, so i hope you don't mind?

I only came by this thread whilst researching Theo Page. Sadly, only 3 days ago I had never heard of him! I came across the most wonderful piece of draughtsman art 3 days ago and as I bought the item from an Op shop I was keen to find out more about the artist and why would such a historic piece be left neglected in a charity shop. This is when I started my search hence finding you guys at Atlas F1.
I have a mounted poster of The Concorde, the cutaway drawing was done by Theo Page and even as a girly girl not normally drawn to technical drawings I can see how special this work is and from a historical point of view is pricless.
The poster was printed in 1973 before the Concorde took her maiden flight.
Anyway, I hope it is ok to share some pics of it with you, the photo's are not the best as they were just snaps not meant for close up inspection really.

I would love to know more about Theo Page and would so appreciate any info you would like to share with me. By the way I am in Sydney, Australia as I noticed a few other members are too. I am thinking Theo was commisioned to do this work but would he have done it for The Daily Telegraph Magazine (who published the poster in Sydney) or would it have been done for a airline company in the UK and copied?

Thanks for your interest,
Be

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#385 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:19

Hi lotuslass, I remember seeing the Concord cutaway when it was first released, very nice. I'm slightly surprised that Theo was commissioned to do it, as 'Flight' magazine had so many specialist and brilliant illustrators, but it is often hard, without help from the individuals concerned, to establish how jobs were awarded. I never met Theo, but he was well established long before I took up a pencil, and I suspect that, like me, he was free-lance, so although his speciality was competition cars he would have turned his hand to any technical subject - you don't turn work away!

What is great is that you like it so much, and appreciate it for what it is. Unfortunately I can't help with biographical details.

#386 lotuslass

lotuslass

• 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:29

Hello Tony, thank you so much for your response, its appreciated. It does seem a little strange that Theo was commissioned to do a plane drawing when his history is with cars but like you said a job's a job - right! Maybe someone can explain it??

Would I be right in assuming that Theo would probably have passed away by now, I can't find anything on the net about his life or history sadly.

Anyway, thanks again and yes I can appreciate this work and as I am learning more from this great thread, I am appreciating it more and more.

#387 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 19:07

Posted Image

It's not all cars - JPS Van de Velden

#388 Rockford

Rockford

• 421 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 19:44

This is turning into my favourite thread on the forum - the JPS boat is lovely :love:

lotuslass: I found these two links from a quick Google - just in the slight chance you didn't spot them

http://mk1-performan...k/theo_page.htm

http://bearalley.blo.../theo-page.html

As an (ex) Esprit S2 owner I hope this helps!

#389 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 21:06

Originally posted by Mistron
Not sure if it's ok to post this here, but it seems appropriate. If it's not, the moderator is free to delete this post.

I'm having a clear out, and following a 'debate' it has been 'agreed' that i'm not likely to be puting these up on the wall anytime soon, so it seems sensible to let them go to someone who will do more with them than store them on top of a set of shelves......
I am about to put them on fleabay, but It seems sensible to offer them here to those who are keen on Tony's work, so if anyone would like to make me an offer, feel free to PM me.

Oh, and I missed one off the original posting (how can you forget a 312P - perhaps the nicest of the set?!?)

Mistron,

Shall I propose that you send these aparently rare but surely brilliant drawings to the author (Tony Matthews), so that he can make fine copies of them and sell them (although I do not know if he wants to do so !) ?

It seems that many people would like to have copies of Matthews works but they are not available ...

I would like to have some of them !

This is just an opinion, please do not take it as an offense ...

Best regards.
André Acker.

#390 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 21:09

Yes Marc, one of mine. Artwork quite often has reference to the artist/illustrator removed! If I can find an A4 print of the BT34 I will scan and post it, but it isn't very good..

Sorry, mistron, I didn't look hard enough to see that you had already posted the 312P. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Tony !

The BT34 will be very welcome, as well as the Lola t280.

In fact, all the cars from 1970 to 1975 !

Best regards !
André Acker.

#391 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 21:11

If I can find an A4 print of the BT34 I will scan and post it, but it isn't very good..

I wouldn't mind even if it were a two part A3..............I've got some other BT34s somewhere...
A Dick Ellis form an Autocar article, a simple Piola one which doesn't show much underskin detail
and I am sure there is a Bill Bennett one...although memory may be failing me..it might be BT33.

#392 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 296 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 22:25

Have to say I am really enjoying this thread at the moment. I would give anything to have the talent to be able to draw like that. Awesome work Tony absolutely fantastic.

Now I ma going to be greedy and ask is there a chance of some more touring car cutaways to be posted on here?

#393 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 22:27

Hi Rockford, thank you so much for the links to the Theo page (!), it may seem odd to you but generally we illustrators, as far as I know, and this applies to those of us who were essentially sole employees or freelance, rather than team members - we just didn't have a lot to do with each other! James Allington, for whom I worked for nearly ten years, was not in communication with any other illustrators, bar Terry Collins , briefly.

I think a lot is down to competetiveness - it may seem strange - Oh, those arty types, sitting there at a drawing board all day, fiddling about, how can they be competetive? Well, believe me, and obviously I can only really speak for myself, I am extremely competetive. I was always trying to raise my game, not just for it's own sake, but to say to other illustrators 'Pick the bones out of THAT!'

Don't missunderstand me, that's not agression, but a healthy realisation that there are others out there pitching for the same work, and if the price is the same, the quality has to be better, if the quality is the same the price has to be better. My unashamed target was never to be the cheapest but to be the best. I am not the judge of whether I succeeded or not, but for some years, in an admittedly narrow field, people whom I admired and respected commissioned a lot of work, and although my life has moved on that is a period I occasionally look back on - not with pride - but some satisfaction.

I may regret writing this with a litre of red wine inside me, but on checking, it more or less sums up my attitude.

Ahem. Adjust dress.

Andre and Marc - I have all the original Motoring News artwork, I rescued it before it was destroyed, so it is possible to make prints, but we are talking about (apart from the BT34) 20"x30" stiff board ( 500mm x 750mm), difficult to scan cheaply, but not impossible - but I may have smaller, paper prints somewhere, if I can find them, I'll post them. Thanks.

PS Marc - I think Bill Bennet did the BT33, as he was at Motoring News before me - I'll see what I can find.

#394 markpde

markpde

• 522 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 22:34

This thread is spooky - I would love Tony to post the BT34, but in a sense it doesn't matter whether he does or not because I can 'see' it, in my mind's eye, as with the rest - it's as if the cutaways are indelibly etched in my subconscious, even after 35 years - when macoran asked if Tony did the Lola T330, I was like, "Yeah, yeah, he did!" because I could 'see' it.

Incidentally, the Lola chassis in the cutaway, HU18, is listed on this website as 'subsequent history unknown' - anyone on TNF got any info?

Now, tell me I'm not a nutter, Tony - you did one of the Gulf Mirage M6, c. 1973?... :stoned:

#395 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 22:48

Just been typing for an hour and lost it - sorry!

Edited to say Ooops! Half of it has appeared above, so not too bad!

Edit edit - markpde, I will try again termorrer.

#396 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 23:16

Originally posted by markpde
Incidentally, the Lola chassis in the cutaway, HU18, is listed on this website as 'subsequent history unknown' - anyone on TNF got any info?

Actually I think Tony's cutaway was of HU2............I am recalling the scan coming from a mag on one of the
introductory rounds of the Shellsport series.

#397 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 23:22

I have all the original Motoring News artwork, I rescued it before it was destroyed, so it is possible to make prints, but we are talking about (apart from the BT34) 20"x30" stiff board ( 500mm x 750mm), difficult to scan cheaply, but not impossible - but I may have smaller, paper prints somewhere, if I can find them, I'll post them................................... WHAT A GOLDMINE FOR A CUTAWAY NUTTER !!

PS Marc - I think Bill Bennet did the BT33, as he was at Motoring News before me - I'll see what I can find.

................Yes, found it... BT33 by Bill Bennett Copyright Anglia Art Published in an issue of Sports Car Graphic.

#398 markpde

markpde

• 522 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 23:28

Originally posted by macoran

Actually I think Tony's cutaway was of HU2............I am recalling the scan coming from a mag on one of the
introductory rounds of the Shellsport series.

Ah, right! I was just going by the Shellsport livery, I was scrolling down the list and I missed the first one - you know a lot more about the Lolas than me, Marc!

#399 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,502 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 23:30

Posted Image

Ameroo Park - for you... I photographed this car at Spa, as I was mechanicing for Tom's, RR corner worker, what an experience, not the first, but so many memories!

Advertisement

#400 lotuslass

lotuslass

• 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:55

Hi Rockford, thanks for the links, I had seen them and had posted on the bearalley one but neither are as much fun as this thread - right??
As an ex Esprit owner, I tip my hat to you (If I had one) or wave the finger (politely I mean) as is usual when driving past another Lotus driver. Thanks again.