Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13306 replies to this topic

#4401 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:28

Stefan Bellof's Maurer MM82 - BMW/Heidegger - 1982 Formula 2 Championship - cutaway by Bruno Betti

Posted Image

Ibsen

TNF Cutaway Index updated at page 110.

What a beautiful engine!

PS, I think the Spice above is the SE91P as opposed to 90?

Scratch that Ibsen I'm wrong, it is the SE90P.

Edited by werks prototype, 04 April 2010 - 12:42.

Advertisement

#4402 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:11

I have a little request: Vauxhall Chevette HS & HSR by Tony Matthews.

I have both of them in a book about the rally chevettes but they are only about 3x4inches big. :cry:

#4403 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:20

I have both of them in a book about the rally chevettes but they are only about 3x4inches big. :cry:

That's the size I drew them! :p I'll see what I can find...

#4404 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:25

I do have a favor to ask though, do you have any cutaways done of any Holden's at all?

Hi AP, I haven't done any Holdens, but our resident archivists may come up with something. When I was at Bathurst in 1990 there were a lot of cars in the paddock that I would liked to have drawn.

#4405 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:34

... particularly the gearbox internals, fascinating stuff. :clap:

I'm pleased you liked the F2000 gearbox, Dan, it was a greater challenge than it should have been - one more works drawing and it would have meant less panic - but I realy enjoyed doing it. I like gears...

Edited by Tony Matthews, 05 April 2010 - 23:06.

#4406 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:58

Here is a Rolls-Royce MY-1410I, again from the enigma that is 'Studio Warwickshire' Apologies for the quality of the scan the presence of the fold between the centre page proved indefatigable.

Rolls-Royce MY-1410I Engine 1986. By 'Warwickshire Illustrations'

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 00:44.

#4407 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 475 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 17:28

This is a particularly unique composition for a cutaway (With figures and on track :drunk: ). It would be great to see it at a higher resolution. There is a signature along the bottom, but unfortunately at this stage, due to the resolution it remains obscured. It is promotional/celebratory material we know that much.

Posted Image

Parker Johnstone's 1991 Spice-Acura (Artist 'temporarily' unknown)

Hector Luis Bergandi (I think I'm spelling that correctly).

We used to have the framed and signed print in the stairwell of our office- I'm not sure where it is now, but if I find it, I'll get a better image of it for you. The artist is known more for automotive art than cutaways, so it's unique in that respect. I suppose that the nearly isometric view was done because of his limited capabilites.

Edited by Jones Foyer, 05 April 2010 - 17:31.

#4408 MCS

MCS

• 3,532 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 19:49

Scratch that Ibsen I'm wrong, it is the SE90P.

Looks like the "Acura" as it was commonly known, is depicted at the season opener - the SunBank Daytona 24 hours. Witness the other driver's helmet next to Parker Johnstone. (The car is facing the wrong way for it to be Sebring).

The chassis was Spice SE90P Acura 88-004 for what it's worth. Wonder if Bergandi did any other IMSA stuff?

#4409 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 22:04

Hector Luis Bergandi (I think I'm spelling that correctly).

We used to have the framed and signed print in the stairwell of our office- I'm not sure where it is now, but if I find it, I'll get a better image of it for you. The artist is known more for automotive art than cutaways, so it's unique in that respect. I suppose that the nearly isometric view was done because of his limited capabilites.

Great information. Thanks very much :up: Hope you do manage to find the print.

#4410 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 22:07

Looks like the "Acura" as it was commonly known, is depicted at the season opener - the SunBank Daytona 24 hours. Witness the other driver's helmet next to Parker Johnstone. (The car is facing the wrong way for it to be Sebring).

The chassis was Spice SE90P Acura 88-004 for what it's worth. Wonder if Bergandi did any other IMSA stuff?

Detective like :up: :)

#4411 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 22:30

Lightweight Special 1939 Austin Seven By 'John Ferguson'

750 Stanguellini By 'Theo Page' (Autosport)

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 00:45.

#4412 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,194 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 22:59

What a wonderful little Lightweight Special 1939 Austin Seven.do we have any photos or history on it thanks in advance. :up:

#4413 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 112 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 23:24

What a wonderful little Lightweight Special 1939 Austin Seven.do we have any photos or history on it thanks in advance. :up:

Issignonis’ first job was working as a draughtsman and salesman for an engineering consultant who was developing a type of semi-automatic transmission. In his free time, from 1933 until 1938, Issigonis worked with his friend, George Dowson, on a private project to construct a hand-built racing car – the Lightweight Special. Built without the aid of power tools, the car employed an efficient ‘stressed skin’ structure devised by Issigonis and plywood body sides covered in aluminium sheeting. Issigonis successfully raced the car himself, until the demands of his job forced him to stop in 1948. He later described the Lightweight as: “A frivolity in my life. It was not so much a design exercise as a means of teaching me to use my hands.”
british council design museum

Edited by fnqvmuch, 05 April 2010 - 23:34.

#4414 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,212 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:56

... do we have any photos or history on it thanks in advance. :up:

It has its own thread:

The Lightweight Special

(but you have to wade through a whole lot of off-topic stuff, mainly on BMC 6-cylinder engines :cat: )

Edited by Tim Murray, 06 April 2010 - 08:01.

#4415 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:33

Another non-automotive related subject. A 1950's era direct driven marine turbo fan (smaller class ships).

Marine Turbo Fan (Admiralty)

Abarth 500 By 'Sergio Baratto' The 'Eldougo' Special?

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 00:46.

#4416 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 20:38

Hello Cutawaylanders !!
Thanks for all your kind PMs and e-mails while I was out of the running.
I have been keeping track of the goings-on, and must say you have amazed me with all the great posts.
I have done some scanning and splicing but even that tired me.
I am back in better shape, but no way ready to run the Rotterdam Marathon next week.

Anyway, here is what I presume to be a Giulio Betti.
Posted Image
1965 Cadillac Fleetwood

#4417 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 21:17

Been out of this for a little while, as far as the assembled scans are concerned, so want to give you a bit of a contribution out of a few of the older mags again.
This will be a series of Porsches by Clarence LaTourette.
We will start with the Porsche 718 Spyder out of the October 1958 Sports Car Illustrated.
Tom West
Posted Image

#4418 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 21:20

Another Clarence LaTourette Porsche, the Formula 2 out of the October, 1960 issue of Sports Car Illustrated. Tom West

Posted Image

#4419 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 21:25

I believe that this is the infamous James Dean Porsche, possibly not. Still a pretty unique format to accomplish a high performance car back in the day.
The Clarence LaTourette illustration out of Sports Car Graphic, January, 1962, of the Porsche RS61.

Tom West

Posted Image

Advertisement

#4420 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 21:28

This is one of the classic 50s Formula 1 cars out of England, Clarence LaTourette's Vanwall, from Sports Car Illustrated, March, 1958.

Tom West

Posted Image

#4421 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 21:30

I have gotten to really appreciate the work of Max Millar over the years, more in the aviation field than in automotive, but this little Riley Nine engine was pretty cool. From Sports Car Illustrated, December, 1956.

Tom West

Posted Image

#4422 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 21:35

Now you have to take some of my old stuff ...
This is an Alcohol Funny car out of Michigan. They ran an Injected Funny Car circuit, and this was probably one of the more unusual as the Pontiac engine in this car was based on a lot of experimental parts out of Pontiac research. Partner Tom Nell pulled heads and that sort of thing out of the research parts that turned into the street dominating Ram-Air series of engines out of the Big Indian division. The other two partners, Gary Rossow and Fred Hargraves were fraternity brothers. Can't remember who the girl was ...

Tom West

Posted Image

#4423 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 21:38

Always liked this car back in the day, and it has been recreated by a friend, Ron Hope and is making display runs yet today on the historic circuit. I actually had an offer to take a ride in this thing, but decided that I would rather have something more positive to show for it. Agreed to set up a bracket to mount my motordrive Nikon up in front, and were planning on it the following weekend. They went out on a Wednesday night for some tune-up runs, when the car did a major wheelstand over the guardrail, destroying the car, and breaking most of the bones for driver Danny Collins. Ended his driving career.
Tom West

Posted Image

#4424 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:06

Hello Cutawaylanders !!
I have been keeping track of the goings-on, and must say you have amazed me with all the great posts.
I am back in better shape, but no way ready to run the Rotterdam Marathon next week.

Posted Image
1965 Cadillac Fleetwood

Welcome back Macoran. Hope you are back to full posting health! Looking forward to the next batch of your scans. :up:

#4425 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:20

Always liked this car back in the day, and it has been recreated by a friend, Ron Hope and is making display runs yet today on the historic circuit. I actually had an offer to take a ride in this thing, but decided that I would rather have something more positive to show for it. Agreed to set up a bracket to mount my motordrive Nikon up in front, and were planning on it the following weekend. They went out on a Wednesday night for some tune-up runs, when the car did a major wheelstand over the guardrail, destroying the car, and breaking most of the bones for driver Danny Collins. Ended his driving career.
Tom West

Posted Image

Beautiful Porsches there Tom, especially the 718 Spyder and the RS61, I have only ever come across them before on coloured backgrounds but never seen them in such clarity. :up:

Did you ever illustrate any of Don Garlits's cars Tom? I was reading a piece about him today in a book (where it seems they mis-spelt his name 'Garlitz') and as well as a potted history of his achievements there was a really great photo of him outside a garage, in I think 1957 sitting looking pretty mean in a 'Dons Speed Shop' liveried monster!

Edited by werks prototype, 06 April 2010 - 22:21.

#4426 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:31

Can't remember who the girl was ...

I don't believe it ! The details of the car you remember, you forget the lass' name ? Tom...tut tut.

Well at least it saves you getting into the kind of trouble I get myself into.......
I had a girl's name noted down in my diary, and my wife questioned me about her......
I had to white lie myself out of that one telling her it was the name of a horse I had put a bet on.

Two days later.......................

My wife told me my horse had phoned in to speak to me .......

bet you've heard that one before !

sorry WP, it got moved while I was still busy on it !

Edited by macoran, 06 April 2010 - 22:32.

#4427 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:38

:rotfl:

That's ok, rolling laughter appropriately moved relative to above humour!

#4428 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:42

I don't believe it ! The details of the car you remember, you forget the lass' name ? Tom...tut tut.

Well at least it saves you getting into the kind of trouble I get myself into.......
I had a girl's name noted down in my diary, and my wife questioned me about her......
I had to white lie myself out of that one telling her it was the name of a horse I had put a bet on.

Two days later.......................

My wife told me my horse had phoned in to speak to me .......

bet you've heard that one before !

sorry WP, it got moved while I was still busy on it !

Mac,
I have books of pics of women from back then, but few of whom that I have so much specific detail, or time working on as I do with the cutaways ...
Maybe that explains it. Besides, she was a friend of one of my fraternity brothers, and I am not sure I remember his name correctly, and we were in that house together for over three years.
I remember, while living at home during my time in college (spent 6 weeks in LA area at a GM operation, and 6 weeks in Michigan at General Motors Institute, alternating), I had shot a rather amazing slightly older woman. I had my proof sheets sitting in some other things and my mother and sister decided that all of my stuff needed to be organized (read: spied through). I had used a couple of things around the house for outfits, and everyone was horrified.
Thought it looked pretty decent, personally.
Also, there was the 17 year old that was talked into doing nude stuff by one of her friends while I was up at school. I thought she was a touch older until I was informed by her father when I called for her to arrange for another shoot the next day that she was, indeed, 17. I have to say that I was looking over my shoulder for a guy and his simian son who were supposedly out looking for me ...
Or, the one who ...
But, we should be getting back to the cutaways, don't you think?
Tom West

#4429 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:46

Welcome back, Marc, hope you are back to full health soon.

Tom W, thanks, another great series of posts - it took me a while to fathom the Riley valve gear, but Hey! That's what cutaways are for!

#4430 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:50

Beautiful Porsches there Tom, especially the 718 Spyder and the RS61, I have only ever come across them before on coloured backgrounds but never seen them in such clarity. :up:

Did you ever illustrate any of Don Garlits's cars Tom? I was reading a piece about him today in a book (where it seems they mis-spelt his name 'Garlitz') and as well as a potted history of his achievements there was a really great photo of him outside a garage, in I think 1957 sitting looking pretty mean in a 'Dons Speed Shop' liveried monster!

Werks,
The only Garlits car that I have illustrated was the Swamp Rat XXX, the one that he won three consecutive NHRA Championships with. I was doing it, and met Robert Post, a curator at the Smithsonian Institution, who I worked with on a couple of things, and had that illustration incorporated as the center of the backlit back wall of a display featuring the car. The car and the display ended up being featured in the Science and Technology Museum in Washington for something like ten years ... which was pretty cool. Considering that the illustration was only my second drawing in 13 years, it was quite an honor. I know that Post had heard of, and seen my stuff earlier, so he thought it was serendipitous that we came together at that time.
I also did the research for the Revell-Monogram modelkit of the car, which was when I shot the research for the illustration.
I have material to illustrate the Swamp Rat I, the SR VI (the mid-60s car), and the Wynn's Charger (his first rear-engined car that set the drag racing world on it's ear). To see that first SR I, based on Model A (I think) frame rails, and have his line of cars evolve into that rear-engined car and the SR XXX is pretty interesting.
Tom West

#4431 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 22:53

Welcome back, Marc, hope you are back to full health soon.

Tom W, thanks, another great series of posts - it took me a while to fathom the Riley valve gear, but Hey! That's what cutaways are for!

Thanks, Tony. I have sort of slowed on getting some of those cleaned up, as they really take a while to pull the color out of the background (considering the registration that seems to be +/- .250" or so at times). Really wish that those magazines hadn't been done by the lowest bidder ... Some horrid stuff to fix at times. There are maybe another 25 waiting to be assembled, and probably 15 sitting to be posted, not including my own.
Tom

#4432 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 23:01

Werks,
The only Garlits car that I have illustrated was the Swamp Rat XXX, the one that he won three consecutive NHRA Championships with. I was doing it, and met Robert Post, a curator at the Smithsonian Institution, who I worked with on a couple of things, and had that illustration incorporated as the center of the backlit back wall of a display featuring the car. The car and the display ended up being featured in the Science and Technology Museum in Washington for something like ten years ... which was pretty cool. Considering that the illustration was only my second drawing in 13 years, it was quite an honor. I know that Post had heard of, and seen my stuff earlier, so he thought it was serendipitous that we came together at that time.
I also did the research for the Revell-Monogram modelkit of the car, which was when I shot the research for the illustration.
I have material to illustrate the Swamp Rat I, the SR VI (the mid-60s car), and the Wynn's Charger (his first rear-engined car that set the drag racing world on it's ear). To see that first SR I, based on Model A (I think) frame rails, and have his line of cars evolve into that rear-engined car and the SR XXX is pretty interesting.
Tom West

Fascinating stuff Tom, and ten years is pretty good going for any exhibit. The photo I have must be quite an early car then. (front engined).

#4433 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,194 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 23:14

[quote name='werks prototype' date='Apr 6 2010, 22:33' post='4276523']
Thanks W.P.

Posted Image
Abarth 500 By 'Sergio Baratto' The 'Eldougo' Special?

Now that is what i call a car thanks for posting ( MY SPECIAL).Now all it need is a test drive :wave: by meeeeeeeee.

#4434 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,194 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 00:00

Posted Image

Unknown Cutaway artist from On Four Wheel No17.an older R.R. V8 Motor.

#4435 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:24

Hello Cutawaylanders !!

Posted Image
1965 Cadillac Fleetwood

Welcome back Macoran. My posts did not killed you, thanks God!

1965 Cadillac Fleetwood by Bruno Betti (1965)

Ibsen

#4436 TWest

TWest

• 1,540 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:01

Fascinating stuff Tom, and ten years is pretty good going for any exhibit. The photo I have must be quite an early car then. (front engined).

Werks,
The only car that carried the Don's Speed Shop was the Swamp Rat I, so that would have been about '56-'58, I believe.

Tom West

#4437 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:27

lancia ferrari d50 by Bruno Betti,may be somebody has a better quality
Posted Image

#4438 tom walker

tom walker

• 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:04

I have been trying to track down a copy or original of an Allard J2X Le Mans, which was printed in a boys comic called The Eagle. If I could find out the date of publication, I could search ebay. Any ideas ?

Tom Walker.

#4439 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:18

lancia ferrari d50 by Bruno Betti,may be somebody has a better quality
Posted Image

That looks like a very early B Betti! Thanks CVA, never seen that before.

Advertisement

#4440 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:27

I have been trying to track down a copy or original of an Allard J2X Le Mans, which was printed in a boys comic called The Eagle. If I could find out the date of publication, I could search ebay. Any ideas ?

Tom Walker.

Hi Tom, I've just looked through 'the Eagle Annual of the Cutaways' and no Allard - no index either! I'm ashamed to admit that it's the first time I've looked at it since I bought it, it went straight into the bookcase. Someone probably knows...

#4441 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,628 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:27

Tom Walker.

I understand that IPC Media retain the rights to all Fleetway comics and characters created prior to 1970, Tom. The original cutaway artwork was auctioned by Sothebys some years ago.
Might be worth trying http://www.ipcmedia....companyhistory/

#4442 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:35

Posted Image

Unknown Cutaway artist from On Four Wheel No17.an older R.R. V8 Motor.

About 20 years ago I did quite a few jobs for RR in Crewe and was often in the Tech Pubs Dept.

This may be an in house illustration by a chap who IIRC was called Stephen Moy. He'd produce these nice airbrush illustrations when time permitted. It certainly looks like his style.

#4443 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,568 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:23

For the Allard, perhaps Allard OC, or Josh Sadler-the ex Autofarm Porsche specialist who ran ORL for years-, or Jim Tiller, might be able to help
Roger Lund

#4444 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 796 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:56

Welcome back, Marc! :wave:

As with Tony's recent absence, it was keenly missed.

#4445 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 15:55

[quote]name='eldougo' date='Apr 7 2010, 00:14' post='4277540']

Thanks W.P.

Now that is what i call a car thanks for posting ( MY SPECIAL).Now all it need is a test drive :wave: by meeeeeeeee.[/quote]

Glad you liked the Abarth.

Naturally re-named in honour of your good self. :up: :)

#4446 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 16:00

Now that is what i call a car thanks for posting ( MY SPECIAL).Now all it need is a test drive :wave: by meeeeeeeee.

Just don't drive it like this :eek:

#4447 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 16:04

Do you have any tales to recount Tony of encountering particularly congested bundles of cables during any of your research trips? And did you ever get a look at the instrument panel of that monstrous March 85G Buick! The beast will lose its character if it wasn't a relatively sparse affair?

I spent some time up in my attic with the hobgoblins on Easter Monday wp, looking for the box of 85G photos - no find. I will bear it in mind when I look for something else, that's always the best way of finding things.

#4448 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 16:21

Some of the MG Record Cars.

Posted Image
MG Record Car EX-179 By 'Clarence LaTourette'

Posted Image
MG EX-135 Record car 1933 Artist 'Unknown'

Posted Image
MG EX-135 Record car 1933 Artist 'Unknown'

Posted Image
MG EX-181 Record car 1957 Artist 'Unknown'

Posted Image
MG EX-181 Record car 1957 Artist 'Unknown' (Please note "It had a fishy look")

Posted Image
MG EX-181 Record car 'Motor' by 'Lyndon Jones'

Posted Image
MG EX-181 Record car Cylinder Head Artist 'Unknown'

Finally
Posted Image
1935 Rolls-Royce Blue Bird Campbell/Railton Artist 'Unknown'

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4449 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 16:25

I spent some time up in my attic with the hobgoblins on Easter Monday wp, looking for the box of 85G photos - no find. I will bear it in mind when I look for something else, that's always the best way of finding things.

Ah well, thanks for even looking Tony :up: You do realise that "being up an attic with hobgoblins on an Easter Monday" could easily have resulted in another health and safety incident? Can you confirm trampoline, safety net and of course the usual array of safety cones were in place?

#4450 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 16:27

Welcome back Macoran. My posts did not killed you, thanks God!
Ibsen

Older weeds like me are hard to put away Ibsen !