• Please log in to reply
13375 replies to this topic

#401 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 20:18

Wow!

Tony,

Your sublime skill will never cease to amase and impress me! Your colour cutaways are so tangible!

How you manage(d) to paint such stunning pictures so realistically with such fine detail is beyond my comprehension. A line drawing I can understand - hard work, yes - but your full colour paintings are absolutely remarkable!

MORE, MORE, MORE... :clap:

(... and yes, I'm also partial to 1970s single seaters and sports prototypes...)

Advertisement

#402 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 20:52

Well, thanks again Anders, I have been meaning to reply to your posting of the stage photos of your rendering, very interesting, and stupidly it was only then that I realised that you had done it in pencil! I like your two B&W drawings too, especially the 8x6 (?) unit, I love things like that.

I'll see what '70's single-seaters I can scan, nearly all B&W.

I scanned the JPS Lotus 95T recently, so if you don't mind I'll post it.

#403 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 21:43

Originally posted by Tony Matthews
Well, thanks again Anders, I have been meaning to reply to your posting of the stage photos of your rendering, very interesting, and stupidly it was only then that I realised that you had done it in pencil! I like your two B&W drawings too, especially the 8x6 (?) unit, I love things like that.

I'll see what '70's single-seaters I can scan, nearly all B&W.

I scanned the JPS Lotus 95T recently, so if you don't mind I'll post it.

Horror thought !!! What if Anders does mind ??

Going off on another track Tony.......have you ever done a cutaway of a non-existant car ?....
like with your own imagined pushpullrodcoiloverspringtorsionbarsuspension, combi outboardfinneddrumdisc brakes which could act as competitorstyreshredders ,hand pumped fuel injection, sixpointbeltedejectorseatsafetycell for the driver, runflattyres and selfpostshuntformcorrectingwings and side pods.
I mean I imagine some wild things after a few beers, but have you ever done an actual pencilfinelinerbrushtopaperdesigndrawing of something like that, or do I only have suchsillyideas ?

I will have a look, but I have somewhere two drawings done by the house artist of AutoMotor und Sport,
in which he let's his imagination go.........they are pretty cool.

honestly I am sober, have had supper, had one beer and have just taken my heart tablets.

#404 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 22:21

Posted Image

Took a while, I had to watch a Buddy Holly tribute on BBC4.

#405 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 22:33

Originally posted by macoran
honestly I am sober, have had supper, had one beer and have just taken my heart tablets.

Keep taking the tablets, Marc!

Your suggested design is something else, I would love to not only draw it, but drive it to many victories and a Championship or three!

Some time ago I used to illustrate articles written by Peter Wright, one of which was about what could be designed and built to the limit of what a human being could drive, i.e, survive the G-loads. I think it appeared in Racecar Engineering, probably 10 years ago.Gordan Murray did one too, about the same time, I think for F1 mag., but I'm not sure about that.

#406 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,075 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:53

My brother used to get the Opel magazine 'Start'. They usually had a A2 (?) poster with a cutaway painting by Bruno Betti in them. I had not the slightest idea how much work is involved from the beginning to the final artwork.
Going through this thread opened my eyes.
When now somebody says 'oh it's just an illustration' I would like to kick his silly a**.

I have a question since I'm really big into Can-Am racing and my favourite teams are Shadow and Chaparral: are there any cutaways of their cars? Specially Chaparral 2H & 2J and Shadow Mk1 (in any stage of development).

Tony - I would sure spend some cash for a book with your work.

PS: Nothing wrong with Buddy Holly. It was the 50th anniversary of the day the music died...

#407 BRMfan

BRMfan

• 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:37

CHAPARRAL

This book by Richard falconer and Doug Nye contains many cutaway drawings some by J.Alington and B.Hatton

#408 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:21

Originally posted by Duc-Man
PS: Nothing wrong with Buddy Holly. It was the 50th anniversary of the day the music died...

Duc-Man - when I said I had to watch it I didn't mean I was FORCED to watch it, nothing would have stopped me! As it was I had seen it before, a BBC tribute first broadcast many years ago, but I lost my tape of the proramme somewhere along the line.

As BRMfan has pointed out, Jim Allington did the Chaparral 2F while I was working for him, one of a set he did for Shell Oil, and although I did some detail work on some of the illustrations I did nothing on the Chaparral. I think it is one of Jim's best works - not, I hasten to add because of my lack of input!

I photographed the Shadow Mk1 but the drawing was never done, sadly, and I very much wanted to draw the March 707, but it didn't happen. I have just remembered that a few years ago I photographed a McLaren M8F at Silverstone when Denny Hulme was driving it at a Historic meet, but once again, although I have everything I need to do the job, it was put aside for other, more pressing work.

I haven't seen the Falconer/Nye book, I must check it out, anything with Doug's name on it must be good! One might almost say, nye on impossible to miss!

#409 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,581 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 15:18

Not wishing to imply/encourage copyright breach etc, but anyone wanting a good print of some of the marvellous cutaways might consider the services of the photo dept in the local supermarkets. They have top quality equipment and can do an A4 , 10x8 size for just over £1. Some do larger sizes 11x16 and 16x20 at higher prices. Smaller sizes are throwaway prices. For sure they produce, I suspect, better results than the average computer printer. Comments please Tony, as I am anxious not to offend
usual disclaimers
Roger Lund

#410 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 15:26

Originally posted by bradbury west
Not wishing to imply/encourage copyright breach etc, but anyone wanting a good print of some of the marvellous cutaways might consider the services of the photo dept in the local supermarkets. They have top quality equipment and can do an A4 , 10x8 size for just over £1. Some do larger sizes 11x16 and 16x20 at higher prices. Smaller sizes are throwaway prices. For sure they produce, I suspect, better results than the average computer printer. Comments please Tony, as I am anxious not to offend
usual disclaimers
Roger Lund

That would require much larger images. The ones posted here would only print at about 100mm wide and stay crisp.

#411 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 15:50

Roger, some of the images I have posted are my copyright, others are not, but my understanding is that as I am not selling them, only showing them as examples it is unlikely that there will be a knock on my door in the middle of the night, or a hand on my shoulder as I approach my vehicle in a poorly-lit multi-storey car park...I hope. I can't stop any one down-loading these images, I know nothing about it, your Honour, and I would take it as complimentary. However, Alan is quite right, the quality would be poor at best, and also, as I do not have the software to clean the images, they all have an overall caste of varying tint and tone, most noticeable in the background, which would not look too good on a machine print.

Note that I am speaking from the point of view that the reproduction should be perfect, it's not for me to force the same standards on someone who wants a small print!

The B&W illustrations are another matter, as line-work does not digitize at all well, the demise of litho photography is a great shame, as is the fact that all the Motoring News 16"x12" litho negs were destroyed.

However, the working drawings might print fairly well, as the combination of pencil and ink, plus the fact that, as prints rather than the originals (they have been scanned before I re-scan them to post them) means they have an agreable softness, although I haven't tried it.

I'm very difficult to offend, Roger!

#412 Mistron

Mistron

• 852 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 18:41

Originally posted by Mistron

I am about to put them on fleabay,

item number 170300257281

I hope you don't mind Tony, but i've quoted you! (you did just say you were difficult to offend......) :)

#413 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 18:45

Originally posted by Mistron
(you did just say you were difficult to offend......) :)

I WAS LYING!! Good luck, don't forget the first, magenta, version was being sold for £70 about eight years ago.

#414 Mistron

Mistron

• 852 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 18:53

funnily enough, that's the bit I quoted! :)

#415 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,581 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 20:35

I was only trying to be helpful. My stance on copyright is well known here, qv various photo threads. I am of the Ted Walker, David McKinney, DCN school of thought, rather than of the more laissez-faire - for which read law-breaking,- school which seems to prevail elsewhere.
RL

#416 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,075 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:27

when I said I had to watch it I didn't mean I was FORCED to watch it, nothing would have stopped me!

When you first stated that you had to watch the Buddy Holly tribute it appeared like you were admitting a crime...
Thinking about all the rubbish thats on the radio today makes me very very sad. :cry:

Back to the subject: I have that Chaparral book. When I asked for 2H & 2J I was thinking about something more like the 2F in the book because the drawings of the other cars are actually more like sketches to me.

Tony - I don't wanna be a pain in the arse...can you dig out and post that picture of that Shadow Mk1? Please? I'm happy about each and everything I can find.

#417 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:01

Duc-Man - This is the situation:- June 4 1973. Trip to Nichols AVS to photograph Can Am car. June 15, 18 and 19, work on cutaway...And that's it, I was asked to do the Porsche 917/10 ASAP. The negatives are probably somewhere in the LAT archives, and because a new, quick print machine had been installed in the Motoring News darkroom the prints I have are badly faded, and, at the moment, I can't find them. When/if I find them I will see if there is anything that might interest you.

PS How do I know all these dates? Fantastic recall? No, just found my personal job book for the five years I was at Motor Sport and Motoring News! Internet Radio - that's what to listen to!

#418 BRMfan

BRMfan

• 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:34

Tony have you seen a book called Watts My Line about Lawrie Watts there are a few aeroplanes mechanical farm buildings and cars.I subscribe to Race Car Engineering and Race tech so I have collected your coloured cutaways but I have not seen the Nissan or the Essex motor home were they in another magazine?

#419 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 15:13

Thanks for that BRMfan, I haven't seen the book, I'll keep an eye open for it. The R89C was done for Nissan Japan, although my contact at the time was based at Nisan Europe. I think I saw it reproduced in a Japanese magazine, but don't think I have a copy. The Essex hospitality wagon was done for David Thieme, and was used once at least, in the 1991 Essex corporate programme printed for the EP bash at the Albert Hall. DT didn't do things by half..., but I have never seen it used anywhere else.

Most of my work was for the American market, and didn't get much of an airing any where else. The Americans have a much greater appreciation of illustration of all types, although I gather from Tom Johnson that even there the market is dwindling, and it was well understood that a cutaway, offered freely to any publications wishing to use it, such as newspapers local to a race, was an effective marketing tool. Not a feeling shared by F1 marketing types...

Advertisement

#420 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 16:10

Posted Image

Williams FW09B, the last of the aluminium honeycomb tubs, and drawn some years after it raced. Details from the Williams museum at Grove with the usual enthusiastic help of John Cadd.

#421 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 19:29

...yet more bliss from you, Tony! DON'T STOP!!!

FW09 wasn't one of Head's prettier creations, but it certainly looked functional and structurally very strong. I doubt Head would ever have made a flexible chassis, so the car's handling woes must surely have been attributable to the rough manners of the early Honda turbo.

I've often wondered why FW09 had that blunt, truncated nose cone - not to breach the front overhang limit perhaps? (Where's Peter Elleray when we need him?). Keke's and Lafferty's feet were well in front of the front axle line, as was the norm in those days - as were those awful 'winglets'. Good on FIA that they were banned for 1985; later aero appendage excesses were allowed for far too long, IMO.

I'm curious about the gadget residing just inside the race number "6" on the left hand side. Turbo boost knob, perhaps?

1984 would have been about the earliest I recall seeing dampers with remote reservoirs. Who introduced them and where? My gut tells me it would have been in USAC/CART or Can-Am - or even on motorbikes - but I've often been wrong before...

Tony, for what occassion or comission did you do the FW09? And how long did it take you to do? And...is it from the period when you painted over your working drawings?

#422 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,157 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 19:43

I've nothing to add except my thanks to Tony for continuing to post his beautiful artwork for us all to enjoy.:up:

Brian

#423 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 20:29

Originally posted by Bonde
I'm curious about the gadget residing just inside the race number "6" on the left hand side. Turbo boost knob, perhaps?

Well, Anders, it has SOME function regarding boost, whether or not a direct control I don't know - one thing I DO know is that I used exactly the same flow control for my airbrush! Mind you, I was using a Hydrovane compressor rather than a Badger hobby pump, the Badger wouldn't have powered a wheel gun, which is what I wanted...;)

#424 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 21:49

Posted Image

Tony, Does the inner flange surface of the left rear wheel rim really read "Williams" ?

#425 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,157 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 22:17

Not Tony here, but I'd say "yes". If you look at virtually any wheel that belongs to a certain team, they will have their team name painted on it in this location. It is especially useful for the tire companies that are mounting hundreds of tires for the respective teams over a race weekend. It ensures they are properly grouped to be returned to their rightful owner. An extremely nice detail that is so prevalent throughout Tony's work.

Brian

#426 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 22:47

Thank you Brian, and for previous comments. I really enjoyed finding detail like the stenciling on the wheels where few people would see it. I think I got that reference from a stack of wheels behind the pits at Silverstone. It also makes it more interesting to draw and paint!

Edited to say that I used to have a Penske Indy wheel that I had a glass top cut for - for which I had a glass top cut - and that had 'PENSKE' stencilled on it. I like a bit of stencilling...

#427 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:13

...yet more bliss from you, Tony! DON'T STOP!!!

FW09 wasn't one of Head's prettier creations, but it certainly looked functional and structurally very strong. I doubt Head would ever have made a flexible chassis, so the car's handling woes must surely have been attributable to the rough manners of the early Honda turbo.

You've reminded me to dig-out a Doug Nye piece in the 1986 GP review about the victorious Williams. It really is a superb feature and includes intersting history of the Honda engine. It's the kind of article that you just don't see in general racing magaxines anymore, but - in a pre-internet age - it was manna for a curious teenager. I also cherish a long piece he did on the Lotus 72.

#428 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:47

Tony, for what occassion or comission did you do the FW09? And how long did it take you to do? And...is it from the period when you painted over your working drawings?

Anders, it was done for a partwork, I think, and I suppose, without clambering into the freezing attic to find the relevant diary, it took about four weeks - there wouldn't have been the usual panic, and it was a fairly straight-forward illustration. It was a pleasant change to go back to an ali tub, and a bit of shine on the wheels. I like all finishes, but I also like change! All the Penskes had shiney bits - wheels, wishbones - which stood out on track and on paper.

I agree that the FW09 was not a classic looker but there was something about it that I liked, purposeful, solid - and different!

#429 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:29

Originally posted by macoran
Horror thought !!! What if Anders does mind ??

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#430 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:43

Posted Image
I fotgot to add, Anders, that the FW09 started as a working drawing on film, so here is a detail from it, obviously over A4! My scanner looks like a crocodile trying to eat a duvet.

#431 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 685 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:56

Wow... just beautiful.

Probably a stupid question Tony, but how much is drawn freehand?

#432 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:03

Great drawings Tony, do you have any of the beautiful P3/4 ? The Williams and the JPS are just great, because we are of an age, I was stuck to the box on Wednesday, all evening too, how could anybody miss it?

#433 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:10

Originally posted by stuartbrs
Probably a stupid question Tony, but how much is drawn freehand?

Not at all, stuartbrs, quite a lot of the pencil work, especially just trying to place all the major bits, was freehand, then tightened up using an array of aids - french curves, straight edge, but most of all, the one thing that revolutionized manual technical illustration, the ellipse guide. There is still some freehand work, even in the final ink line, such as all small hardware, cut edges etc. Absolute neatness wasn't an issue, as no-one, supposedly, was ever going to see these...

Engines are different, as I constructed the drawing from the crankshaft centre-line up, and there isn't a lot of what you would strictly call freehand, although, obviously the whole process was manual. Want an FW07?

#434 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:28

Posted Image
Sorry about the strange colour caste, looks as though it's been photographed through an old aquarium, not much I can do about it. The 'C' version with unusual nose-wing mount, a sort of fabricated 'horn'.

#435 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:38

Originally posted by sterling49
Great drawings Tony, do you have any of the beautiful P3/4 ? The Williams and the JPS are just great, because we are of an age, I was stuck to the box on Wednesday, all evening too, how could anybody miss it?

Thanks sterling, no P3/4 I'm afraid, though Jim Allington did the P4, and I did the tyres - they were my speciality!-and the inlet trumpets. So many cars of that period that I would have loved to have done, but by the time I'd hit my stride they were no longer current, but not old enough to be considered as 'classic' or 'historic'. Big sports cars were a joy to draw, so much STUFF, and when you think of the GT40, Porsche 917, Lola T70, T160, ...

#436 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:42

Just got in with the post, 2 centrespread Matthews cutaways I managed to pick up on a Dutch site.
They look like they've been taped/thumbtacked to a wall for years.
Tyrrell 007 and Ferrari 312B3 T.
I'll have to get them scanned and cleaned up, repair the centrefold which is awfully discoloured.

#437 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:49

Not at all, stuartbrs, quite a lot of the pencil work, especially just trying to place all the major bits, was freehand, then tightened up using an array of aids - french curves, straight edge, but most of all, the one thing that revolutionized manual technical illustration, the ellipse guide. There is still some freehand work, even in the final ink line, such as all small hardware, cut edges etc. Absolute neatness wasn't an issue, as no-one, supposedly, was ever going to see these...

Engines are different, as I constructed the drawing from the crankshaft centre-line up, and there isn't a lot of what you would strictly call freehand, although, obviously the whole process was manual. Want an FW07?

Oh sod it! I still have the ellipse templates, curves, pencils and brushes, the old compressor has only seen work blowing up airbeds for the last 15 years, I've checked the 6 airbrushes in the draw, gathering dust and 3 look in good nick with a couple of spare needles. My old Formula Ford will be back in my garage in a few weeks time being refettled, so it's a good opportunity to have another go - if I can find the time.

The first PRS RH01 cutaway - My wife is going to hate this :eek:

#438 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:57

Go on Alan, do it! I'll hold your coat...

#439 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 13:18

Go on Alan, do it! I'll hold your coat...

That's possibly all I'll have left :)

Advertisement

#440 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 804 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 20:19

I've capped every last one of Tony's cutaways posted here to my HD in my Pictures section. By rights, I'm thinking that I'll shortly create a sub-folder, 'Tony Mattews', to store eveything properly and use them all as wallpapers for my desktop in the coming years following my ban from TNF for the impertinent question that I now must ask.

As I was saving the latest image of the Williams just above, a thought occured to me.

We've all seen these marvelous cutaways and appreciate their unquestioned magnificence. No, truly! They are just that! Superb works of art. But...

The thought was...

Tony:

Asked with greatest respect, have you ever bungled something so badly that it's never seen the light of day? Was there something that despite all efforts, you just couldn't get quite right?

I'll get my coat.

#441 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 21:25

Posted Image
I fotgot to add, Anders, that the FW09 started as a working drawing on film, so here is a detail from it, obviously over A4! My scanner looks like a crocodile trying to eat a duvet.

Sweet Jeebus I like these working drawings!

Oh, and nice line about the croc/duvet. :lol:

#442 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 23:01

Originally posted by Grand Master Matthews:

Big sports cars were a joy to draw, so much STUFF

...I can vouch that this is not only the case when drawing to illustrate the inner workings of big sports cars, but also when drawing all the bits that constitute one, as I found out the hard way when I embarked upon our SR1 sports-racer after previously only having designed a Formula Ford...At last count, the FF had required 321 drawings (CAD-files) and the sports-racing car 1081 drawings. Luckily, included in those numbers are a great many simple 2D flat patterns for laser cutting bits.

Now...should I embark on another cutaway, or should I begin designing another racing car of sorts (hears wife screaming NEITHER in background...)

Seriously, though, with Tony's encouragement I'll probably go for the former. Does anybody know where to acquire comprehensive sets of ellipse templates? E-bay perhaps?

Tony,

Did you use the "P"-type of leads when drawing on film? I always found them very crisp and firm but rather cumbersome to erase (though a damned sight easier than ink). Coincidentally (no, not really), I was the last guy in my old company to use the drafting board - pencil on film. For engineering drawings, CAD only has two disadvantages methinks: Computers sometimes play up, and on the board I found I had a better grasp of scale - and hand-drawn engineering drawings just look aesthetically more pleasing and personal than the anonymous CAD. I suppose drafting on the board also taught one some discipline - correcting errors was a lot of work!

#443 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 23:10

Although this doesn't stand up to the light of day, I've posted it for Macoran: There never was a Comprex-supercharged Escort Mk. III Group 5 with rear wheel drive - rules stated that the driving wheels had to be as on the 'donor' car - I just didn't know any better when I was 21...But I did rather fancy the BBC Comprex!

Posted Image

#444 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 00:04

Anders old chap, do you think you could post your pictures a bit bigger, I feel like a stamp-collector! Too late to comment, see you tomorrow.

#445 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 00:08

...Does anybody know where to acquire comprehensive sets of ellipse templates? E-bay perhaps?

You could try the ellipse selection at www.draftingsteals.com At the very least, it might point you towards some brand-names and options.

IM

#446 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 00:54

Tony,

If you click on the the thumbnail it should link you to the ImageShack picture - and if you click on the image once there, you'll get the full 1587 X 981 size that ImageShack allows for free. If you right click and 'save as' you should be set to peruse it on your own harddrive. It works for me at least. I use thumbnail links in order to allow these threads to load up quicker for those with slowish internet connections. But in your case it doesn't matter too much because my drawings will not stand up to professional scrutiny anyway! :)

IrishMariner,

Thanks for the tip!

#447 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:06

Hi Anders, I had got as far as clicking on the thumbnail to get to Imageshack, but had not clicked on the image - strange, as I have an involuntary urge to click on anything I see, just in case - and you are far too hard on yourself, it is a fascinating piece of work, regardless of your age at the time you drew it, and if it is the looser style that concerns you, I realy like it.

I am pedantic, Jim Allington was less so, he liked to have a bit of looseness in his line-work, which is why he enjoyed using a mapping pen occaisionally, he liked the way the nib would sometimes cross itself, then spring back, leaving a little splatter of ink. I have used a mapping pen, but I don't like 'em, give me a Rapidograph anytime.

Having said all that, I try not to get too tight and 'photographic' with my painting, due to an incident that took place many years ago at Luton college - at an end-of-year exhibition of Technical Illustration and Graphic Design in the foyer, I had entered a piece I'd done out of college, a colour version of Jim's cutaway of the Lotus 25 - he provided a bleached photo print of his linework and I painted over it - 1963, so I was nineteen - and near the end of the Exhibition my tutor asked me to draw a plan of the layout for future reference, it having been deemed a success.

As I was drawing, a school party entered, and started going round the show. In this mixed group of 12/13 year-olds were three 'lads', larking about, until they turned a corner and saw my painting. 'Sir, Sir, have a look at this! Cor, Sir, look!' Whereupon Sir peered round the corner, glanced at the artwork and said 'It's a photograph.'

I thought, Oh, well if that is the reaction, I must make sure it doesn't look like a photograph in future. It's difficult NOT to make an airbrush painting look photographic, but with a brush you have a choice, and there is, I realize, a difference in how loosely or tightly I painted depending on the subject - historic versus state-of-the-art - and the material, machined metal, cast metal, cloth or rubber etc.

Thanks to IrishMariner for the link, fascinating - I have three sets of elipse guides, small, medium and - you've guessed - large, the large being of limited use, and I started with Leitz, but later Alvin, I think they were the same product re-branded. You don't need the full 10 to 80 degree set, 15 to 60 is adequate, but I say that because initially that was all that was available, if I'd had the chance I would have gone for the lot!What IS invaluable is the mini set, 1/8" to 1/2" or so, and 15 to 60 degrees (where's the degree simbol key?) all on one small sheet.

I have to get the Child Bride's breakfast so I'll check what pencil lead/film I used later.

#448 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:34

(where's the degree simbol key?)

Here! °

:rotfl:

#449 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:41

Cheeky. Anyway , can I have it back, please?

#450 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:46

Does anybody know where to acquire comprehensive sets of ellipse templates? E-bay perhaps?

Google Alvin Ellipse Templates and you get various options. Beware they aren't cheap although they never were. The exact same sets I brought in 1982 for about £150 only cost about £200 now. (small, medium & large)