Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13308 replies to this topic

#4451 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 16:28

1965 Cadillac Fleetwood by Bruno Betti (1965)

Ibsen

:up: Thanks for the identification.

Advertisement

#4452 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 16:31

Werks,
The only car that carried the Don's Speed Shop was the Swamp Rat I, so that would have been about '56-'58, I believe.

Tom West

Here is the car in question Tom, awaiting an id by your expert eye! The thing is the text that accompanies the photo is extremely vague and even includes a spelling mistake.

Posted Image

"Early Days: Don Garlitz, champion driver 1957"

P.S Tom do you have the issue of Sports Cars Illustrated with the centre spread of the Ken Miles MG Special? Now that would be a great addition.

Edited by werks prototype, 07 April 2010 - 16:40.

#4453 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 16:56

lancia ferrari d50 by Bruno Betti,may be somebody has a better quality
Posted Image

Only a sharper cutaway, my copy of the the compilation poster with all the views is no sharper.
Posted Image
signed Bruno Betti 66

#4454 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 16:59

Here is the car in question Tom, awaiting an id by your expert eye! The thing is the text that accompanies the photo is extremely vague and even includes a spelling mistake.

Posted Image

"Early Days: Don Garlitz, champion driver 1957"

P.S Tom do you have the issue of Sports Cars Illustrated with the centre spread of the Ken Miles MG Special? Now that would be a great addition.

Werks,
I do have that MG Special, and think I have it scanned for assembly. Will have to check, but I know that I have it done, but in a group of things I want to incorporate into a book at some point ... we may all be too old to remember the car, or why we even care by the time it is done.
As to the Garlits pic, that would have been in the car after his trek west for the inaugural Bakersfield Smokers March Meet; the US Fuel and Gas Championships of 1959. It was won by Art Chrisman in the Chrisman and Cannon Hustler, and Garlits had come from Florida with a 6-carb engine and got his head handed to him by the West Coast guys who were running the blowers by that time. Right after the race, Garlits added the GMC blower, as you see in the pic, so that would have been after mid-March of '59, as he continued to run the carbs instead of Fuel Injection, which would have been on the next Swamp Rat cars.
The Caption, other than the spelling, was an appropriate description. He was certainly considered a champion driver, although I don't believe he won any national-level events by 1957, and that shot would not have been 1957.
Hope that helps a bit.
Tom

#4455 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 17:05

Werks,
I do have that MG Special, and think I have it scanned for assembly. Will have to check, but I know that I have it done, but in a group of things I want to incorporate into a book at some point ... we may all be too old to remember the car, or why we even care by the time it is done.
As to the Garlits pic, that would have been in the car after his trek west for the inaugural Bakersfield Smokers March Meet; the US Fuel and Gas Championships of 1959. It was won by Art Chrisman in the Chrisman and Cannon Hustler, and Garlits had come from Florida with a 6-carb engine and got his head handed to him by the West Coast guys who were running the blowers by that time. Right after the race, Garlits added the GMC blower, as you see in the pic, so that would have been after mid-March of '59, as he continued to run the carbs instead of Fuel Injection, which would have been on the next Swamp Rat cars.
The Caption, other than the spelling, was an appropriate description. He was certainly considered a champion driver, although I don't believe he won any national-level events by 1957, and that shot would not have been 1957.
Hope that helps a bit.
Tom

Werks,
Just checked for you, and I have that LaTourette MG Record car from SCI scanned and put together. Just have to clean it a bit and size it down and will get it out. Also have one by Max Millar on the car that was not included on that last presentation. Will get them sized and will put them out shortly for you.
Tom West

#4456 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 17:10

Werks,
Hope that helps a bit.
Tom

Brilliant :up:

Thanks Tom.

Edited by werks prototype, 07 April 2010 - 17:15.

#4457 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 17:14

Werks,
Just checked for you, and I have that LaTourette MG Record car from SCI scanned and put together. Just have to clean it a bit and size it down and will get it out. Also have one by Max Millar on the car that was not included on that last presentation. Will get them sized and will put them out shortly for you.
Tom West

That is even more brilliant. Can't wait! I also have a copy of that Ken Miles MG Special but I'm loathe to post it if it is in any way likely that you will post it in an original/improved form. I literally looked at the Porsches you posted and thought to myself "hang on a minute it is likely that the Ken Miles MG Special will be coming up here soon" :)

Can't way to see/study the record car in all its glory. :up:

Edited by werks prototype, 07 April 2010 - 17:29.

#4458 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 17:32

Just don't drive it like this :eek:

No! Do drive it like that! :)

#4459 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 17:34

lancia ferrari d50 by Bruno Betti,may be somebody has a better quality
Posted Image

Lancia Ferrari D50 Longitudinal Section by Bruno Betti - page 56 (not a cutaway)

Lancia Ferrari D50 by Betti
Posted Image

Ibsen

Advertisement

#4460 ABG

ABG

• 59 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 18:52

Hi Marc. Glad you're back.
Thought I'd post a couple of items.

First a MG-179 by Theo Page, I think.

http://img210.images...gex179page.jpg/

Second, what I think is a F3000 Reynard 94D by JJ Francois patched together from Marc's posting on page 64 of the thread.

http://img695.images...reynard94d.jpg/

Does anyone have a copy of JJ Francois Cobra coupe.

Al

#4461 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 19:10

OK, here is my version of the LaTourette MG EX-179 Recordcar of Goldie Gardner. This is modified out of February, 1957 issue of Sports Car Illustrated. Took a little more clean-up than I had thought, but here it is.
I do have that Ken Miles MG completed, as well, by the way. Pretty interesting car.
Tom West

Posted Image

#4462 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 19:14

This is the second version of the MG EX, the EX-135 as illustrated by Max Millar. It was on a grey background in the February, 1957 issue of Sports Car Illustrated. Not quite sure why anyone thinks this is a good idea to publish a detailed line illustration, but here it is.
By the way, the LaTourette version was in the January , 1957 issue, not the February. Sorry.

Tom West

Posted Image

#4463 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 19:46

It has gone MG Record car crazy! Multiple examples of the 179 and the 135, truly unique vehicles. Outstanding stuff!

#4464 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 21:59

Hi Marc. Glad you're back.
Thought I'd post a couple of items.
Second, what I think is a F3000 Reynard 94D by JJ Francois patched together from Marc's posting on page 64 of the thread.
http://img695.images...reynard94d.jpg/
Al

Thanks Al,
I had started painting in the missing bit on the Reynard, but yours is much better :up:
Here one for all of us to ponder on.
It is a 1960 F Cooper climax.
For me, it has a Brian Hatton feel about it. Your thoughts ?
Posted Image

#4465 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 22:13

Thanks Al,
I had started painting in the missing bit on the Reynard, but yours is much better :up:
Posted Image

I'm thinking!

I have seen it before somewhere. The colour seems more muted/monochrome than it should, coloured after the fact?

#4466 ABG

ABG

• 59 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 22:37

Thanks Al,
Posted Image
[/quote]

Thanks Marc. Glad you liked the Reynard. Thought I'd better post it before I completely mess it up. You can in fact over work a digital image.
As far as the Cooper is concerned here is a Hatton Cooper Climax beyond which I haven't a clue.
http://img17.imagesh...imaxhatton.jpg/

Al

#4467 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 22:42

Thanks Al,
Posted Image

Posted Image

Cutaway by Bruno Betti

Ibsen

#4468 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 22:46

Posted Image

Cutaway by Bruno Betti

Ibsen

1959 T-51?

#4469 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 22:48

As far as the Cooper is concerned here is a Hatton Cooper Climax beyond which I haven't a clue.
http://img17.imagesh...imaxhatton.jpg/

Al

Good grief, that really is special!

#4470 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 22:52

Posted Image

Cutaway by Bruno Betti

Ibsen

:up: Great Ibsen ! , by the way your copy seems a lot brighter and of higher resolution than mine !

#4471 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 22:58

ABG, here is the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe cutaway by JJ François

Posted Image

WP, my book "Enciclopédia do Automóvel #3 says Cooper F1 1960.

Ibsen

#4472 ABG

ABG

• 59 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 23:18

Posted Image

Ibsen

Thanks Ibsen. Lovely drawing of a lovely car.

Al

#4473 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 23:26

WP, my book "Enciclopédia do Automóvel #3 says Cooper F1 1960.

Ibsen

Here is the version of the T-51 that I have seen before Posted Image I'm afraid it is only a thumbnail image.

Or larger here http://www.negri.it/...rmula1/1959.htm

From http://www.negri.it/...mula1/index.htm and the "Le Vetture" book.

Edited by werks prototype, 07 April 2010 - 23:47.

#4474 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 23:29

Posted Image

Ibsen

Great stuff :up: Even that little 'Castrol' logo on the door. + no floor or reflection from JJ François, which I think is a good thing.

Edited by werks prototype, 07 April 2010 - 23:32.

#4475 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 23:46

Going back to "negri" for a second has this http://www.negri.it/...rmula1/1954.htm shown its face yet here?

#4476 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:55

For the bb cooper ,i think it's a t53 model,it's very similar of the vic berris cooper t53 which you can find herewith.The quality of this copy is not very good,but the reproduction in the book:1,5 l grand prix racing 1961-1965,is bad
Posted Image
Thank's Mark for the ferrari lancia d50

#4477 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:26

shelby cobra jj françois with the "floor"
Posted Image

#4478 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 13:33

shelby cobra jj françois with the "floor"
Posted Image

Ah the floor! :up: and the reflection :stoned:

Actually, I have a cutaway of a bike where the illustrator has implemented a fairly extreme and rather literal 'reflection' technique. I will put up later.

#4479 alansart

alansart

• 4,008 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 13:40

Ah the floor! :up: and the reflection :stoned:

It is very cleverly done, although I sometimes feel the reflections on these illustrations over complicate what is already complicated subject.

I've tried doing similar things in the past and it's not easy to make it look "right".

Advertisement

#4480 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 14:54

It is very cleverly done, although I sometimes feel the reflections on these illustrations over complicate what is already complicated subject.

I've tried doing similar things in the past and it's not easy to make it look "right".

Yep, that is the exact point I was trying to make in post #4479, it is technically well done, but 'feels' fussy.

#4481 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 475 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 19:10

It's actually kind of painful to look at for me. Every part is given equal focus and lighting, as if no part casts a shadow on another. Too much contrast in each element. That, and blue against orange floor is ultra-punchy. It definitely has impact, but could use subtlety.

#4482 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 23:54

Here is the example of the bike I referred to earlier.

Honda CX500 Turbo 1982 By 'Roger Savage'

An extreme and rather literal reflection (A model was photographed sitting on top of a mirror :) with additional information coming from the machine itself). But the reflection I think here assists a little in the actual function of the cutaway.

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 00:49.

#4483 Motocar

Motocar

• 263 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 20:05

Design by Bradley 12/82 the "Discard Car" concept
Posted Image

#4484 Motocar

Motocar

• 263 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 20:07

this design is the Magazine Popular Mechanics in 1983, spanish edition

#4485 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 21:58

this design is the Magazine Popular Mechanics in 1983, spanish edition

That magazine is responsible for some of the best covers of all time :up:

#4486 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:22

Audi Quattro and Lancia 037 cutaway by Giorgio Alisi

Posted Image Posted Image

Ibsen

#4487 TWest

TWest

• 1,541 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:56

Design by Bradley 12/82 the "Discard Car" concept
Posted Image

Just a followup on the Disposacar ... the artist is Harry Bentley Bradley, one of the better designers of custom cars and show cars out of the 70s. He came out of Art Center in LA, went to GM for a drink of water, returned to Art Center and taught illustration to Transportation Majors along with the custom work. He was a consultant to MPC when I got there in 1977, and I kept him on with a bit more direction and we had a great relationship in the modelkit custom work for a while.
Think he still teaches at Art Center.

Tom West

#4488 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:25

Audi Quattro and Lancia 037 cutaway by Giorgio Alisi

Posted Image Posted Image

Ibsen

There is something aesthetically unusual and accidentally brilliant about these. :) :up:

#4489 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:33

There is something aesthetically unusual and accidentally brilliant about these. :) :up:

They don't look very inspiring as thumbnails, but big them up and they are very nice - I like his signature as well. I never got round to forming a signature , I just write my name in my usual handwriting, very boring.

#4490 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:55

Just a followup on the Disposacar ... the artist is Harry Bentley Bradley, one of the better designers of custom cars and show cars out of the 70s. He came out of Art Center in LA, went to GM for a drink of water, returned to Art Center and taught illustration to Transportation Majors along with the custom work. He was a consultant to MPC when I got there in 1977, and I kept him on with a bit more direction and we had a great relationship in the modelkit custom work for a while.
Think he still teaches at Art Center.

Tom West

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent as usual but for some reason this concept brings to mind this literally 'green' electric Ferrari concept by Virgil Exner Jr (Son of Virgil Exner of Studebaker and Chrysler styling fame) It is a plug-in electric AWD Ferrari, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, the 'Testa Verde'.

http://nozama.typepa...e_layout_50.jpg

Edited by werks prototype, 10 April 2010 - 20:34.

#4491 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 13:23

They don't look very inspiring as thumbnails, but big them up and they are very nice - I like his signature as well. I never got round to forming a signature , I just write my name in my usual handwriting, very boring.

Particularly the Lancia!

Your signature is great Tony. I am constantly marvelling at it rotating around the various axis.

#4492 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 14:32

For those still a little nostalgic for the older draughting techniques here are a few of my Dads old 'tools', before he was forced to switch to Autodesk in the 1980's. (I don't know what it is but there is a really strange smell associated with the type of plastic used for some of these ellipse guides)

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Not automotive but this is typical of one of his 'preliminary/working something out' drawings. They are not as old as they look, 1980's. The scanner has made them look distinctly 'wood smoked' but this is also partially a symptom of the discolouration of the paper, these weren't really given much storage priority, folded up etc like old maps.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4493 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 15:06

1.Jensen-Healy MK1. By 'J. Attrill' (Jensen Motors Ltd)

2.Jensen FF (Ferguson Formula). Rolling Chassis. Artist 'unknown' (Motor)

3.Jensen Straight Eight. Artist 'Unknown' (Autocar)

4.Jensen 541 'S' Series Saloon 1960. Artist 'Unknown'

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 00:51.

#4494 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 812 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 15:10

Nostalgic Times?

Brazilian firm "Trident" http://www.trident.c...ndex.php?cat=39 still makes French curves, naval curves, road curves, ellipse guides and much more drawing instruments.

Williams FW08 cutaway by Giulio Betti.

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index updated at page 110.

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 10 April 2010 - 16:27.

#4495 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 16:30

Posted Image
Jensen 541 'S' Series Saloon 1960. Artist 'Unknown'

I was going to comment on the unique smell of Leitz and Alvin ellipse guides, then I saw the perspective in this semi-cutaway, and felt more inclined to comment on that, instead... How many vanishing points do you need?

#4496 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 17:32

I was going to comment on the unique smell of Leitz and Alvin ellipse guides

'Salty' sums up that unique smell I think! :) (I wonder what is used in the production? Don't say Salt)

#4497 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 17:41

From a series of articles published in Motor magazine,titled "The non-Conformists" by Cyril Posthumus drawings by Brian Hatton.
This is Nr 1 in the series published w/e June 5 1971.
The 1935 GP Trossi Monaco
Posted Image

#4498 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 18:45

Nostalgic Times?

Brazilian firm "Trident" http://www.trident.c...ndex.php?cat=39 still makes French curves, naval curves, road curves, ellipse guides and much more drawing instruments.

Williams FW08 cutaway by Giulio Betti.

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index updated at page 110.

Ibsen

That is an amazing collection of curves, Ibsen, if I was still in the business I might be making an order or two! Curves like these may well be available in the UK, but I've never come across them - railway curves, yes, but I think they are constant radius, and Naval architects must use naval curves.

Thanks for GB's FW08, very shiney!

Edited to say I really like the Curvas Navais - and any collection of things in purpose-made boxes arouses my interest!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 10 April 2010 - 18:49.

#4499 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,569 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 19:01

Posted Image
Jensen-Healy MK1. By 'J. Attrill' (Jensen Motors Ltd)

Jensen Straight Eight. Artist 'Unknown' (Autocar)

How do engineers describe the rear suspension method on the Jensen Healey? I can see the vertical coils and separate damper, but how is the operating arm described?

Presumably the straight 8 motor in the other one is the Rolls 4 litre military derivation
Roger Lund

Advertisement

#4500 goro

goro

• 34 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 19:26

Posted Image