Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13275 replies to this topic

#4701 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,135 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:48

:) You are right Tim - the battery was so obvious that my brain told me 'on the otherside', where there is a ghostly, dark hole cum box - that is what I was refering to, and I think Steve must have been, too!

I was indeed, the battery is correct, the Zagato badge not quite so! I don't recall a boc on the other side at all, and the pump for the "Kygas" is missing as well as a few small bits either not there or in the wrong place, but I wonder where the source material came from? In my book Leap into Legend, there's a not very cutaway, cutaway of Bluebird K7, which is very inaccurate, but I included it as it was doen before construction from the design drawings, and so was interesting to compare what was planned, with what was built, though I suspect not the reason for the Alfa drawing!

I can't post the Bluebird drawing as the original is massive, and I don't have a copy of the book!

Advertisement

#4702 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:46

I was indeed, the battery is correct, the Zagato badge not quite so! I don't recall a box on the other side at all, and the pump for the "Kygas" is missing as well as a few small bits either not there or in the wrong place, but I wonder where the source material came from?

When I first saw 'Inside 100 Great Cars' my first impression was that a lot of artwork had been commissioned to fill in some gaps. Now, publishing being what it is, there is very little money for illustrations, so I think a call was put out for a bunch of cutaways done as quickly and cheaply as possible. If you pay peanuts and set tight deadlines you get what you deserve - inacuracies and omissions. An illustrator working to these constraints is hardly going to spend time on research, he's going to blag or copy, and copying leads to compounded errors. These were then used to bulk up the illustrations - like mine and Jim's - that already existed, and were not produced under the same regime. The publishers knew that by far the majority of purchasers would be sufficiently uncritical to notice any variation in quality. I was sent a complimentary copy, but it was only a few months before the book was remaindered, huge piles of them appeared in a local book shop marked down to £3.00!

It's an odd business, if I had had to rely on publishers for work I would have had to chuck it in very early - I don't think I would have been able to make a living, and yet illustrators of a different discipline seem to prosper, Quentin Blake (Roald Dahl books, and others) seems to have been a multi-millionaire for decades. C'est la vie, as we rarely say in Hitchin.

#4703 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 112 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:06

:up: Yep, you got it fnqvmuch

(All other differences are print errors or other such optical aberrations) I was tempted to insist that the shape of the shadow beneath the car as well as the missing rear seat-belt and loop also constituted a genuine production variation but I couldn't think of anyone who would actually accept that)

no I should have seen the seatbelts, too - unlike the parcel shelf, for instance - they are very obviously not there.
steven

#4704 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 21:03

When I first saw 'Inside 100 Great Cars' my first impression ..I was actually a bit disgusted... was that a lot of artwork had been commissioned to fill in some gaps. Now, publishing being what it is, there is very little money for illustrations, so I think a call was put out for a bunch of cutaways done as quickly and cheaply as possible. If you pay peanuts and set tight deadlines you get what you deserve - inacuracies and omissions. An illustrator working to these constraints is hardly going to spend time on research, he's going to blag or copy, and copying leads to compounded errors. These were then used to bulk up the illustrations , I totally agree - like mine and Jim's - that already existed, and were not produced under the same regime. The publishers knew that by far the majority of purchasers would be sufficiently uncritical to notice any variation in quality. I was sent a complimentary copy, but it was only a few months before the book was remaindered, huge piles of them appeared in a local book shop marked down to £3.00! Imagine I got both of mine for 0.99 each !, the second copy is the take apart one !!

It's an odd business, if I had had to rely on publishers for work I would have had to chuck it in very early - I don't think I would have been able to make a living, and yet illustrators of a different discipline seem to prosper, Quentin Blake (Roald Dahl books, and others) seems to have been a multi-millionaire for decades. C'est la vie, as we rarely say in Hitchin.

As a long time admirer of your work Tony, I was a bit hesitant of responding too fast, a bit afeared to react too strongly.
I feel my choice of words has to be just....correct,because in a way I am probably more p'eed off than you are.
You must at times have had the thought and wondered why the hell you went to the length of obtaining the perfection of detail you wanted from your work.
I think some of your work detail is ridiculous when you consider the crap way some publishers treated it, and as you say insufficient audience knowledge
to appreciate it. This goes for many other of your contemporaries as well.
You sweat your guts out to get accelerator linkages and cabling down pat and the bloody drawing is printed on crap paper at a ridiculous size
and with improper clarity, in a crap magazine which doesn't even print four colour properly.
rant over
I hope that at least you know you have found some admirers here who truly appreciate the artist who signs Tony Matthews ( even if it is your handwriting....
I wouldn't wan't it any other way! )

#4705 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 23:49

Rover 2000 Base Unit (Factory Illustration) Rivets!
Rover 2000 (Factory Illustration) Now that is an unusual view point!
Rover 2200 Engine (Factory Illustration)
1982 Rover SD1 (Factory Illustration)
Rover V8 Vanden Plas, Rover 2300s-2600s and 2000 Engine (Factory Illustration)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 28 April 2010 - 18:47.

#4706 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:44

Opel Ascona 1970 cutaway by Bruno Betti.

Posted Image

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 28 April 2010 - 01:45.

#4707 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:02

Posted Image

Rover 2000 Base Unit (Factory Illustration) Rivets!

Spot welds!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 28 April 2010 - 08:00.

#4708 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:21

Here are a couple of more...

Posted Image

Aston Martin Vantage by Martin Donavan

Posted Image

Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV by Paul Shakespeare

#4709 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:57

Posted Image

Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV by Paul Shakespeare

Paul Shakespeare (sic) ('cos I'm not sure of the spelin) taught/teaches Technical Graphics at Bournemouth and Poole College of Art and Design. Nice man. I gave a lecture there quite a few years ago - or rather, tipped up with some cutaways and had a Q&A session, as I'm not really a lecturer - but that must have been at the tail-end of the subject being taught as a pencil-on-paper discipline, rather than computer.

#4710 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:23

As a long time admirer of your work Tony, I was a bit hesitant of responding too fast, a bit afeared to react too strongly.
I feel my choice of words has to be just....correct,because in a way I am probably more p'eed off than you are.

I am constantly humbled by the interest and knowledge displayed by you, Ibsen, werks protototypetoto and others, Marc, and you are probably right in saying that your reaction is stronger than mine - I was resigned to it years ago. The one thing that really used to upset me was the almost deliberate, poor quality printing in one particular periodical - especially when the same illustrations were printed in Racer magazine in full, rich colour!

You must at times have had the thought and wondered why the hell you went to the length of obtaining the perfection of detail you wanted from your work.
I think some of your work detail is ridiculous when you consider the crap way some publishers treated it, and as you say insufficient audience knowledge
to appreciate it. This goes for many other of your contemporaries as well.
You sweat your guts out to get accelerator linkages and cabling down pat and the bloody drawing is printed on crap paper at a ridiculous size
and with improper clarity, in a crap magazine which doesn't even print four colour properly.
rant over

I did the illustrations that I am happy with - reasonably happy - the way I did, simply because that is my style and my character. Perfectionists are rarely happy, and it is only some time after finishing an illustration that I can look at it dispassionately, and only a handfull are as I would do them again. I did one or two illustrations that I was not happy with, and didn't sign them!

I hope that at least you know you have found some admirers here who truly appreciate the artist who signs Tony Matthews ( even if it is your handwriting....
I wouldn't wan't it any other way! )

Many thanks to you and everyone who has been complimentary about my work, it means a lot. I am fascinated by the endless stream of cutaways that are posted here in Cutawayland, many of which I have not seen before, thanks to the stalwart detective work from The Engine Room.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 28 April 2010 - 10:03.

#4711 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 903 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:34

The many faces of Opel.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Never seen that kadett 4x4 before... Looks like an unusual turbo set up on it!

#4712 312f1

312f1

• 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 13:28

In posts 4715+4716 the Alfa is actually a 2000 gtv (grille,dash).

#4713 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 14:48

Spot welds!

:up:

(As you can see I'm suffering a bout of bandwidth trouble today :drunk: , I can foresee much 'a' re-jigging and re-shuffling on the horizon)

#4714 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 20:03

Two icons of motoring from Inside 100 Great Cars
Posted Image
Also in issue 5 of The Car magazine
Creditted to Keith Fretwell
Posted Image
Also in issue 90 of The Car magazine
Creditted to Paul Bambrick

#4715 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,566 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 20:39

Not sure if we have had these.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Copyrights as marked. Taken from Autosport, for educational and study purposes. Reduced from A3 to A4. The FErrari ends ovelapped the edges of the scanned area. Will delete if necessary.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 28 April 2010 - 20:40.

#4716 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 21:10

Not sure if we have had these.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Copyrights as marked. Taken from Autosport, for educational and study purposes. Reduced from A3 to A4. The FErrari ends ovelapped the edges of the scanned area. Will delete if necessary.
Roger Lund

The Ferrari looks like it is from the Japanese AUTO SPORT rather than the English Autosport Roger.
Were the prints not any larger ?

#4717 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 22:25

Posted Image

Copyright is shown as Anglia Art, illustrator Bill Bennett - Anglia Art is, I think, the 'studio', possibly just himself, that he set up after he left Motoring News.

#4718 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 22:44

A cutaway perhaps only in the very, very minimal 'see-through' sense, but nevertheless a nice little period drawing of Dunlop's first Disc Brake (As raced by Jaguar).

Dunlop Disc Brake (The Motor)

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:11.

#4719 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 23:03

A cutaway perhaps only in the very, very minimal 'see-through' sense,

Someone sent me a Matthews with minimal "see through"........I think there is EXACTLY one brake drum cut-away.!!!!!!!
Don't expect to see it right away, I have to dig it up.
There are so many cutaways now that I have had to Index my Indicies :p

Advertisement

#4720 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 23:29

Someone sent me a Matthews with minimal "see through"........I think there is EXACTLY one brake drum cut-away.!!!!!!!

:) :up:

I think when you find yourself having to 'index your Indices' you know you have encountered Meta-data!

#4721 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 23:40

Ford Granada 1982 By 'Terry Collins'

Posted Image

Ford Capri 1983 By 'Terry Collins'

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:15.

#4722 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 23:55

Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), Automatic. Manufactured by ZF. Illustration By 'ZF'

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:15.

#4723 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:52

Eh? Must be Geronimo Matthews, no relation.

#4724 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:54

Tell us more about this 'one drum' cut? :)

#4725 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,053 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:00

The many faces of Opel.

1986 Opel Kadett Rallye 4X4 (Factory illustration)

Posted Image

Never seen that kadett 4x4 before... Looks like an unusual turbo set up on it!

That Kadet 4x4 was done by Bruno Betti. The signature should be underneath the door.
Here are some informations about the car:Visit This Website
The car is allmost as mysterious as the Kadett 400...

#4726 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:43

That Kadet 4x4 was done by Bruno Betti. The signature should be underneath the door.
Here are some informations about the car:Visit This Website
The car is allmost as mysterious as the Kadett 400...

That is a great site. :up: Especially the Photographs. Very interesting looking Dakar support truck.

#4727 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 14:25

The Bernard Boyer designed Matra MS80 Cosworth. (Slightly bigger/different version of the one posted on page 60)

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:16.

#4728 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 17:08

An Indian legend tells us this is a Geronimo Matthews !
Posted Image

is it ?

edit to say it was sent me by a fellow TNFer, but I am sorry I forgot to note done whom sent me it.

Edited by macoran, 29 April 2010 - 17:09.

#4729 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 17:35

Is it?

That is elooooooooooooooooongated 'from' infinity. Wonderfully lit!

#4730 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 17:38

An Indian legend tells us this is a Geronimo Matthews !
Posted Image

is it ?

edit to say it was sent me by a fellow TNFer, but I am sorry I forgot to note done whom sent me it.

How - my past returns to haunt me from many moons ago. I was a young brave, pursued by the paleface Custard, or some such paleface name. Paleface fight like squaw, but many of them. To save my tribe I took short cut, no heademofatthepass, just not cutaway too much, just part of drum, then heap big party with fire-water. Paleface not know his tipi from his wigwam, but get upper hand. No more making cutaway pictures for Geronimo...

You give me name of who done sent picture, I, Geronimo, will hunt him like dog, tie him with rawhide in hot sun, give his liver to eagles, call him squaw!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 29 April 2010 - 17:41.

#4731 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 17:50

Actually, you can tell just by looking that this truck is a bonafide and period piece of Red Indian/Native American folk art. How do I know? If you look very carefully around this very thread you too may catch a glimpse or rather a 'vision' of the great man himself.

Edit: If you get time Tony. Can you talk a little about how/why this particular image was constructed in this way, the extreme perspective/twisting distortion. I also think it is lit brilliantly. That has to be the most space you have ever had to create with regard to a single vehicle? In this context I suppose my initial question answers itself, distortion as a solution to simply 'fitting it all in'.

Edited by werks prototype, 29 April 2010 - 18:32.

#4732 Motocar

Motocar

• 263 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 20:00

Posted ImageThe Schwimmwagen of Volkswagen of the WW II, Enciclpoedia Salvat del Automovil, Design unknown

#4733 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 20:26

I have a colour version and it is called the Porsche 128 (probably referring to a Dr. Porsche design nr.) Schwimmwagen.
I believe it is a Giulio Betti.
The colour version is without side view though, I'll have a look.

Edited by macoran, 29 April 2010 - 20:58.

#4734 Motocar

Motocar

• 263 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 21:10

I have a colour version and it is called the Porsche 128 Schwimmwagen.
I believe it is a Giulio Betti.
The colour version is without side view though, I'll have a look.

I have a color, only photocopy and scan in black and white, this design is heavy.....

Its a car..... its a motorcycle....... Its a Motocar..... Its Quasar ? Yes......
posted the "Quasar" moto, design by Quasar Posted Image

#4735 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:54

Lancia Prisma 'Bruno Betti'.

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:17.

#4736 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:45

Mazda RX7 'Wankel Rotary' 'Factory Illustration'

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:19.

#4737 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 18:12

Renault Alpine A442 1978 Le Mans (DNF in 36th position) drivers D.Bell/J.P.Jarier
Posted Image
Cutaway probably E.T.A.I

#4738 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 18:27

From Inside 100 Great Cars 1986 Porsche 928 S
Credited to Technical Art
Posted Image
A 1983 928 S signed Technical Art .......edit....smart arse!! it isn't
Posted Image
and a 1979 928
Anyone taking bets on Technical Art ?......edit....smart arse!! I win nothing !!
Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 30 April 2010 - 20:53.

#4739 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 20:28

Renault Alpine A442 1978 Le Mans (DNF in 36th position) drivers D.Bell/J.P.Jarier
Posted Image
Cutaway probably E.T.A.I

:eek: Wonderful stuff :up:

Advertisement

#4740 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 475 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 20:42

This is an odd, but fascinating tangent...preliminary drawing for a Chevy Nomad ghost/cutaway (not sure how this guy will execute this), action shot while impacting a tree.

Nomad crash

#4741 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 21:19

This is an odd, but fascinating tangent...preliminary drawing for a Chevy Nomad ghost/cutaway (not sure how this guy will execute this), action shot while impacting a tree.

Nomad crash

:rotfl: That is brilliant!!

#4742 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 23:09

MG EX-E (In-house Illustration)

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:20.

#4743 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 23:14

Nomad crash

I think in real life that type of situation naturally results in the two aforementioned things. 1. A Ghost (The driver) and 2. A Cutaway (Tree).

Edited by werks prototype, 30 April 2010 - 23:38.

#4744 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,053 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 13:50

Nomad crash

:rotfl: That is brilliant!!

It's not just brilliant, it's also pretty scary.

The Mythbusters tried something along those lines with a snowplough with little success...enjoy
...and this is how you do it:see for yourself!

#4745 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 15:10

This is the 1939 Antarctic Snow Cruiser

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4746 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 15:11

Two icons of motoring from Inside 100 Great Cars
Posted Image
Also in issue 5 of The Car magazine
Creditted to Keith Fretwell
Posted Image
Also in issue 90 of The Car magazine
Creditted to Paul Bambrick

Interesting... my edition seems to credit the XKE to Brian Mayor

a couple more from the same source...
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Austin Healey 3000 Mk III by Keith Harmer

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Austin Seven - 1925 by Roy Haynes

#4747 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 811 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 16:09

My 1997 edition also credit the XKE to Brian Mayor.

Ibsen

Edited by ibsenop, 01 May 2010 - 16:10.

#4748 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 16:20

Posted Image
Posted Image

Who would have a Hummer if you could have one of them? Eat my dirt, Arnie... Do you think the Stagger-wing is meant to take off from the roof, or be lowered to the ground first? I notice it is on skis. If not, the vehicle would have to be going at a hell of a lick to get air under the 'plane! With an on-board welding generator they must have anticipated trouble!

#4749 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,526 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 17:41

Posted Image

I know we are deviating a little here, but I love this sort of thing and since it is the weekend and you have started the ball rolling helioseism :) :up:

Posted Image
KA-30 Snowmobile 'TM, Russia 1968'

Posted Image

Posted Image
Yes that is a Pobeda on skis!

Posted Image
KA-30 Snowmobile 'TM, Russia 1968'

Posted Image
Soviet Snow-Mobile drawing by Seleznev, Timakov, Timchenko

Posted Image
Soviet Snow-Mobile Image from the Oleg Tulnev and I. Yuvenaliev collections

Posted Image
Soviet Era Snow-Mobile Images from the Oleg Tulnev and I. Yuvenaliev collections

Posted Image
Soviet Snow-Mobile Images from the Oleg Tulnev and I. Yuvenaliev collections

Posted Image
Soviet snowmobile

Posted Image
Kharkovchanka Soviet snowmobile

Posted Image
Kharkovchanka Soviet snowmobile Images from the Oleg Tulnev and I. Yuvenaliev collections

Posted Image
dralkin

Posted Image

#4750 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 18:03

Ah...yes Inside 100 Great Cars seems to credit it different to The Car magazine.
I'll check The Car again, but that is in the "seen and done" bin so.... I'll be digging again.
It isn't so bad me throwing stuff in the seen and done bin, the wife seems to be throwing in much more on top of my stuff.
damn............