Photo

The cutaway drawing and its artists

• Please log in to reply
13379 replies to this topic

#4801 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 19:59

Indeed: it is an long and interesting interview in Italian language you can read here: www.gpx.it/index “intervista a Giorgio Piola”

:up: Should have remembered that, yes !!

Advertisement

#4802 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 22:04

With a viewpoint similar to that often used by Hideo Mizokawa, here is a 'Raspberry' like Porsche 993 complete with the 4WD system.

Porsche 993 Turbo 4 (4WD) 'Porsche GB'

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:25.

#4803 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 22:50

I'll tell you somethimg else !! There is actually another one by Brian Hatton......

While the Hatton has to wait a while (ghastly thing to splice and patch up)
here is the Terry Davey Allegro.............also in the Haynes cutaway book
Posted Image

#4804 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 23:00

While the Hatton has to wait a while (ghastly thing to splice and patch up)
here is the Terry Davey Allegro.............also in the Haynes cutaway book
Posted Image

:up: :) I see the 'quartic' steering wheel!

#4805 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 00:46

Motorbooks USA is publishing a David Kimble "Art Of The Cutaway Car" calendar for 2011.
http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0760338884

#4806 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:55

1974 Porsche Carrera 2.7 From Siegfried Werner

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:26.

#4807 Motocar

Motocar

• 267 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 15:35

The complement, Porsche 935/78 "Moby Dick" Artwork by Shin Yoshikawa
Posted Image

#4808 asapiro

asapiro

• 53 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 15:48

Nestola drew a series of detail drawings for the 3 litre GP cars in '67-68.
I've got the issues containing the drawings for the Brabham and the Gurney Eagle -
which Auto Italiana published in Jan and Feb 1968 - these were terrific drawings
sorry I don't have the time to post these today

I would love to see the drawings done by Nestola for the BRM, the Lotus, and the Cooper (Maserati?) - I think he also drew the Honda.

Can anyone following this forum share them?

The drawing is signed by Bruno Nestola, without doubt one of the most talented Italian illustrators and journalists of 60's and 70's, director for years of the iconic "Auto Italiana" weekly and mentor of Giorgio Piola as he mentioned in one interview."...The only one aid I had came from a colleague who was fantastic Bruno Nestola, (Unfortunately he is not longer with us), who was the director of "Auto Italiana " and drew very, very well. In that kind of drawings I immodestly consider the one that was more talented than me."·
His large quickly-made vivid free-hand sketches of new protos and cutaways were and still are, IMO, second to none.

#4809 IrasDaughter

IrasDaughter

• 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 18:23

Guys,
Flight International seems to be carrying on the history of cutaway drawings as much as any publications of which I am aware. They have a large range of scanned historic cutaways that are available in print form, as has been mentioned here previously. In 1998, they put out a special little magazine supplement called Beneath the Skin: A History of Aviation Cutaway Drawings from Flight International.

This 9-page history of the Flight International cutaway also includes a couple of pages with brief biographies on various of their artists, including Millar, Clark, Arthur Bowbeer, Frank Munger, John Marsden, Ira Epton, Michael Badrocke, Tim Hall, David Hatchard and Giuseppe Picarella. It also includes some samples of the different styles of illustration that has been used over the years in Flight International, so it is a prized little 52 page book for me.

Tom West

Its nice to see this thread, and see some old familiar names. My dad is Ira Epton, and Ive seen many of his drawings. He worked for Iliffes, but for the last 10 working years he worked exclusively for Flight. I remember him talking about Max Miller, Arthur Bowbeer, Tim Hall and Giuseppe Picarella. John Marsden Frank Munger and John Hostler were amongst his friends and I was lucky enough to meet these talented people.

I have the Beneath The Skin book, It came out about the same time as Flight had an exhibition on their cutaways in the Science Museum.

#4810 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 20:44

Its nice to see this thread, and see some old familiar names. My dad is Ira Epton, and Ive seen many of his drawings. He worked for Iliffes, but for the last 10 working years he worked exclusively for Flight. I remember him talking about Max Miller, Arthur Bowbeer, Tim Hall and Giuseppe Picarella. John Marsden Frank Munger and John Hostler were amongst his friends and I was lucky enough to meet these talented people.

I have the Beneath The Skin book, It came out about the same time as Flight had an exhibition on their cutaways in the Science Museum.

Hello, welcome! How nice to hear from you - I don't know if you've had the time and patience to have seen every page of this thread, but it has a bit of momentum! Have you got any of your father's original artwork, or did it all stay with 'Flight'? My experience is that it is hard to hang on to it if you work for a studio. On the other hand, he might not have been all that bothered about its fate!

#4811 theglenster

theglenster

• 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:33

I like these two very much. These to me are sort of like Cut-away lites. Very simplistic, almost sparse. But in a way, whether intentional or not, that seems to suit the very angular 60's/70's Sports Cars shapes (Delta-wings). It doesn't work at all with the more classically styled bodies, like the Morgan or the E-Type even on page 119.

However, I describe them as cutaway 'lites' because obviously in terms of information, they are 'mean' however aesthetically, they are accidentally great, and will therefore enter my favourites folder! In the section entitled 'Starters' ahead of the main course!

im not questioning the sourse of the info but these are very strange techniques for paul shakespear. IMO he had a very high quality feel about his work, if this is realy his work then there must have been absolutly no budget. He was actualy my airbrush lecturer at bournemouth. in fact there is a very easy way to tell a shakespear work because he used to always leave an easter egg in his work in the form of a little spanner lieing somewhere in the car. sometimes you would only see a small amount poking out somewhere, but i cant for the life of me find one in these illustrations.

@IrasDaughter:
hi and welcome, realy cool to see you here. im a realy huge fan of your fathers work, he ws a massive influence in helping me decide to become a technical illustrator.

#4812 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:42

Giulio Betti's 1963 Brabham BT7
Posted Image

#4813 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:56

The complement, Porsche 935/78 "Moby Dick" Artwork by Shin Yoshikawa
Posted Image

Somehow it looks completely out of proportion

#4814 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 13:24

Somehow it looks completely out of proportion

You eyes do not deceive you, Marc.

#4815 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 14:01

You eyes do not deceive you, Marc.

My contribution would be either the words 'truncated' or perhaps slightly 'compressed' :eek:

Edited by werks prototype, 08 May 2010 - 14:02.

#4816 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 14:19

1976 Porsche 924 Water Cooled From 'Technical Art'

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:27.

#4817 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 14:40

1982 Porsche 944

Posted Image

Edited by werks prototype, 23 May 2010 - 01:27.

#4818 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 15:17

im not questioning the sourse of the info but these are very strange techniques for paul shakespear. IMO he had a very high quality feel about his work, if this is realy his work then there must have been absolutly no budget. He was actualy my airbrush lecturer at bournemouth. in fact there is a very easy way to tell a shakespear work because he used to always leave an easter egg in his work in the form of a little spanner lieing somewhere in the car. sometimes you would only see a small amount poking out somewhere, but i cant for the life of me find one in these illustrations.

@IrasDaughter:
hi and welcome, realy cool to see you here. im a realy huge fan of your fathers work, he ws a massive influence in helping me decide to become a technical illustrator.

:up:
Mentioning Bournemouth, here are a couple of non-automotive Line cutaways.

Posted Image

British Aerospace Hawk: Structural perspective By Clive David Thomas. Art Director Michael E. Leek

To come, once I have sorted out the scan. British Aerospace Hawk: Line cutaway. By A. Granger

#4819 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 15:23

Hello there IrasDaughter. Your presence could even further enrich this wonderful thread.

I hope you are able to share any stories or 'adventures in illustration' that your Father may have imparted to you regarding his technique or any other aspect of his working practice over the years.

I wonder did your Father continue to draw, paint post retirement?

Advertisement

#4820 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 17:56

My contribution would be either the words 'truncated' or perhaps slightly 'compressed' :eek:

Is it possible that he went from a very short-lens photo to draw the car. I have one of mine where I was literally standing in the corner of a shop on the work bench because the car could not be moved outside, as it was raining, and the car was pristine for its premier showing at the SEMA Show, leaving the next morning. I think we were expecting to get a short rain, so they didn't want to take the chance.
I have done some others where that weird angle was completely true from a very close perspective.
It does look like the car is foreshortened a bit, but that wide-angle effect seems like a logical explanation.
Tom West

#4821 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 18:01

Hello there IrasDaughter. Your presence could even further enrich this wonderful thread.

I hope you are able to share any stories or 'adventures in illustration' that your Father may have imparted to you regarding his technique or any other aspect of his working practice over the years.

I wonder did your Father continue to draw, paint post retirement?

I wanted to throw a couple of comments in here, as I am a latecomer in appreciating your father's work, or even really being aware of it. I had been collecting aircraft cutaways in a couple of publications that I got over here, but never the Flight International series, so I was unaware of the body of work that he produced over the years. After going through the entire presentation of prints that are available through Flight, it is interesting to see the various aircraft that fell under the Epton signature. They are some wonderful pieces, and I am more appreciative as he seemed to end up with the smaller and more unusual subjects that are completely different from anyone else's general work. Various private or industrial aircraft get his attention more than the more common military and airliner projects, it seems, so it fills in huge gaps in the cutaway history for me.
Am now a great fan of his work.
Thank-you for signing on here with everyone.
Tom West

#4822 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 18:09

Is it possible that he went from a very short-lens photo to draw the car.
It does look like the car is foreshortened a bit, but that wide-angle effect seems like a logical explanation.
Tom West

Hi Tom, you've been a bit quiet! Busy, I hope. The problem with the 935 is the number of times the average wheel diameter will fit in between the front and rear wheels. Always a good indicator of correct wheelbase. I shouldn't criticise...

#4823 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 18:35

Hi Tom, you've been a bit quiet! Busy, I hope. The problem with the 935 is the number of times the average wheel diameter will fit in between the front and rear wheels. Always a good indicator of correct wheelbase. I shouldn't criticise...

Tonka Toy comes to mind :rolleyes:

#4824 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 19:25

Why, thank-you, Kemo-sabe.
I have been busy, but with a little more than the drawings. I have been doing more photography and am trying to get a little venture started that I can do when I retire ... whenever the hell that will be. Since many involve women with cars (although the most interesting have no cars involved), they have captured my attention, although I am trying to conclude a cutaway that I have had on the board much longer than it should have been, and then have to complete a modelkit design project for someone, so there is a lot to do.
All sort of feels the same at times, but those photos are a big break, I have to say.
Look me up on Facebook if you want to check out some of this stuff ... Tom West, in Anaheim, California should get you there, and the albums are Public access.
Thanks.
Tom West

#4825 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 21:08

, although I am trying to conclude a cutaway that I have had on the board much longer than it should have been,

What are we talking about here Tom? Any details. :up:

#4826 TWest

TWest

• 1,580 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 21:16

What are we talking about here Tom? Any details. :up:

Since this is pretty much a Euor-Centric site by it's nature, I am not sure how many will be interested when pretty much everything I do is based on Hot Rods or Drag Racing. This happens to be a new Buick engined Track 33 Ford Roadster that is just being completed and will be brought out to CA next week. A bit different, as the illustration will show, I hope.
You will see it shortly.
Tom West

#4827 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 22:33

Posted Image

Line Cutaway, British Aerospace Hawk By Clive David Thomas. Art director: Michael E. Leek, Bournemouth & Poole College of Art & Design.

Now the question is.............. Have you Tony or you Tom ever had an 'Art director' associated with any of your works??? :confused:

Edited by werks prototype, 09 May 2010 - 08:33.

#4828 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 00:03

Matra 670B cutaway by Robert Roux - French magazine SCRATCH N°17

Posted Image

and Lister Jaguar 1958 cutaway by Robert Roux - French magazine L'Automobile 145

Posted Image

Never saw those cutaways before. From the Autodiva Forum - Matra Prototypes and Le Mans threads. Does anyone have a better copy?

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 120 - post 4763

Edited by ibsenop, 09 May 2010 - 00:08.

#4829 CVA

CVA

• 248 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:41

I returned from holidays,i can again participate to the forum.First cutaway for my coming back:the brabham bt 11 1964 from Dick Ellis
Posted Image

#4830 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:43

I returned from holidays,i can again participate to the forum.First cutaway for my coming back:the brabham bt 11 1964 from Dick Ellis
Posted Image

:up:

I'm trying to work out what is going on with the exhausts. Transparency? Reflection? Refraction? Total Internal Reflection? :)

#4831 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:53

I'm trying to work out what is going on with the exhausts. Transparency? Reflection? Refraction? Total Internal Reflection? :)

Ah, the experimental 'glockenspiel' megaphone system! They shattered during a rain shower.

#4832 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:03

Ah, the experimental 'glockenspiel' megaphone system! They shattered during a rain shower.

I think the truth lies 'somewhere' in between!

Giulio Betti's 1963 Brabham BT7
Posted Image

:the brabham bt 11 1964 from Dick Ellis
Posted Image

#4833 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:59

Henry Ford's T
The one which launched mass-production
Giulio Betti's renderings
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by macoran, 09 May 2010 - 12:34.

#4834 simplebrother

simplebrother

• 313 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 14:57

Bristol 405 - 1956, attributed to Ron Haynes
Posted Image

Bugatti Royale Type 41 - 1930, attributed to Inkwell Studios
Posted Image

both from Inside 100 Great Cars

#4835 Motocar

Motocar

• 267 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 14:59

Citroen 2 CV, Document Relations Publiques Citroen, Design by Sempi
Posted Image

Edited by Motocar, 09 May 2010 - 15:01.

#4836 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 17:45

Henry Ford's T
The one which launched mass-production
Giulio Betti's renderings
Posted Image

Posted Image

That is a charmer! :up:

#4837 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 18:07

Posted Image

1985 Porsche 944 Turbo 'Technical Art'

#4838 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 18:09

Posted Image

1989 Porsche 928 S4GT 'Technical Art'

#4839 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 18:26

Posted Image
1990 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 'Technical Art'

Advertisement

#4840 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 18:51

Lancia D24 chassis by Unknown artist (not a cutaway)

Posted Image

TNF Cutaway Index - updated - page 120 - post 4763

#4841 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 19:47

Something different
A Cycle engine by Bruno Betti
Ducati whotever model
Posted Image

I don't know much about cycles x'cepting the Honda CB750 I had in the early 70s, the Kwakka Z1 1300 with which I
flattened my face in '77 and the Yammie 650 Turbo which had such acceleration that I now still have the slimmest
wrists among my mates!

Edited by macoran, 09 May 2010 - 20:30.

#4842 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 20:23

1926 Rolls Royce Phantom 1............
In those days you had to mention who built the body, as the vehicles were sold as rolling chassis.
This one with a Hooper body
Cutaway by Giulio Betti
Posted Image

#4843 duffer

duffer

• 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 21:32

Smashing thread! Inspired me to get out some of my old art college stuff. Here's one from 1982!
Posted Image
:wave:

#4844 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 22:10

Smashing thread! Inspired me to get out some of my old art college stuff. Here's one from 1982!
Posted Image
:wave:

The splines in the two hubs seems to align reasonably OK, but I don't think there should be a solid shaft passing through both.
cause why would you have two separate three fork drive/driven yokes separated by what is probably a flex ring (the green thingie)
Gross amount of torque passing through it though!! the size of them studs and castlelated nuts !!
My guess is it's a 1982 doughnut driveshaft joint!!! for a 1750 hp turbocharged 426 cubic inch Ford V8 Lotus Elan on steroids.

Edited by macoran, 09 May 2010 - 22:25.

#4845 ibsenop

ibsenop

• 813 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 22:19

Rolls-Royce Phantom II 1930 cutaway by Giulio Betti

Posted Image

#4846 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 22:24

Rolls-Royce Phantom II 1930 cutaway by Giulio Betti

Posted Image

:up: You really have an answer to any post don't you Ibsen ! I vote Ibsen cutaway King !
May I remind you ....you still have some Brabhams to show here !

Edited by macoran, 09 May 2010 - 22:29.

#4847 carvad

carvad

• 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 22:40

A second prototype of the legendary McLaren F1 - 'Edward' based on Ultima Mk3. Cutaway by Mark Roberts

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#4848 duffer

duffer

• 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 22:53

The splines in the two hubs seems to align reasonably OK, but I don't think there should be a solid shaft passing through both.
cause why would you have two separate three fork drive/driven yokes separated by what is probably a flex ring (the green thingie)
Gross amount of torque passing through it though!! the size of them studs and castlelated nuts !!
My guess is it's a 1982 doughnut driveshaft joint!!! for a 1750 hp turbocharged 426 cubic inch Ford V8 Lotus Elan on steroids.

LOL Cannot remember what the joint was from...was a generic test part we had floating around the studio, IIRC!

Talking of Ultima's, here's my technical illustration of the very first Ultima Mk1 (from the brochure that never was!) 'Scuse the dreadful scan quality, hoping to rescan it soon:

Posted Image

and a colour pencil and airbrush visual for the front cover:

Posted Image

Edited by duffer, 09 May 2010 - 22:55.

#4849 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,564 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 23:58

LOL Cannot remember what the joint was from...was a generic test part we had floating around the studio, IIRC!

Talking of Ultima's, here's my technical illustration of the very first Ultima Mk1 (from the brochure that never was!) 'Scuse the dreadful scan quality, hoping to rescan it soon:

How did you get to start work on an Ultima MK1 brochure duffer? Was it a speculative or commissioned effort? Did you produce any more/similar brochure illustrations? I'm a big fan of Automotive brochure art.

PS (I do very much like that texture through the two cuts of the green painted ring/fixture) :up:

#4850 carvad

carvad

• 54 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 00:01

Vector W2

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us