Photo

700 Indy 500 1971-1974 photos added to my website

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 18:22

Hey, I have just added about 700 new black and white photos from the Indy 500 from 1971, 1972, 1973 and 1974 to my website. All the photographs were taken by my father. The photos are from practice, qualifications and the races. He always had a pit pass and a garage pass so he was able to go just about everywhere. He is a professional photographer so they are all really good photos.
Let me know what you think and what you think of the layout of the site. What could be better or could there be better ways to navigate through it.
It took me about 100 hours to scan and post everything onto the website. I will now start on the color slides. About 700 of those from the same years. I'll post here when I get those updated as well. There are photos of CanAm and Formula 5000 as well.

www.yesterdaysneuz.com
ENJOY!!

Rob Neuzel
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

Advertisement

#2 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 18:53

Rob

Most enjoyable - as ever. And thanks again for sharing these wonderful images. From a personal perspective, I love the F5000 shots :up:

My only "disappointment" (as before) is that you can't enlarge the pictures to a bigger size.

Whatever, they're still great.

Thanks
Mark

#3 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 20:55

Some absolutely excellent photography there, thank you for making these images available.

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 23:07

Fabulous stuff Rob. It looks like a lot of these were taken in practice so they will solve many mysteries about the non-qualifying cars. I spotted Grant's #78 Eagle in 1971 for example (Untitled 9), Lee Brayton's Coyote and several good close up shots of the Kenyon Coyote.

I'll try to make time to identify as many of your untitled shots as I can.

Allen

#5 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 23:55

Thanks everyone! I enjoy sharing them. What are your comments on the site itself. Are the pictures to small or are they ok at the size I have them? I know Mark thinks I should put them larger. The only reason I don't is that the way I have them I can put about 30 pictures to a page. If I made them larger I would either have to use ALOT more pages or everyone would really have to scroll down the page to view them. Just trying to make it user friendly. Any advise would help.

My favorite picture is probably 1971 where a driver(not sure who it is) is pushing his car down the straight away. The camera is kinda looking down the front straight and on the right hand side you can see a drivr all alone pushing his car. Very cool I thought!

Rob Neuzel
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

#6 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 00:22

Originally posted by Neuz
The only reason I don't is that the way I have them I can put about 30 pictures to a page. If I made them larger I would either have to use ALOT more pages or everyone would really have to scroll down the page to view them. Just trying to make it user friendly. Any advise would help.
Rob Neuzel
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

I quite like the way smugmug http://www.smugmug.com/ lays out galleries, with small 'thumbnails' that let you link to small, medium, large or original versions of the images.

#7 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:29

1971 - Untitled1 on page 4 - Jim Malloy?

#8 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:30

Originally posted by Allen Brown
I spotted Grant's #78 Eagle in 1971 for example (Untitled 9)

Isn't that Posey (who actually DNQ'ed the car), as identified by the helmet?

I'd like to know, other than the one cockpit shot where the goggles are a dead giveaway that it's Jigger, if the action shots of the Travelon #65 are of Jigger (even though the helmet looks the same...but it's just too generic) and not Knepper.

#9 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:33

Quite right; Grant owned it and entered it but got a better offer.

Allen

#10 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:52

1972, page 4:

Untitled 2 - Hiss
Untitled 4 - Grant
Untitled 5 - looks like Granatelli in the middle?
"Charlie Glotzback (sic)" - looks like Dallenbach (just like the sign says) and Vuky to me.
Untitled 7 - Uncle Bobby

Page 5:

"Is this Peter Revson?" No, Pollard.
"The driver is Harlan Fengler" - I assume you know who the passenger immediately behind him is!
Untitled 29 & 30 - Muther

Page 6:

Untitled 36 - Watson and Aggie; maybe Smokey on the right?

1973, page 1:

"Flag Man" is Pat Vidan.
First of the unidentified girls is next to Salt Walther.
Looks like Gary B. to the left in the two closeup shots of Parsons.

Page 4:

Untitled 2 - Shorty Mosley?
Untitled 8 - Harkey
Untitled 9 - another Lee Brayton cockpit shot.

#11 Bondurand

Bondurand

• 166 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:14

Thanks everyone! I enjoy sharing them. What are your comments on the site itself. Are the pictures to small or are they ok at the size I have them? I know Mark thinks I should put them larger. The only reason I don't is that the way I have them I can put about 30 pictures to a page. If I made them larger I would either have to use ALOT more pages or everyone would really have to scroll down the page to view them. Just trying to make it user friendly. Any advise would help.

My favorite picture is probably 1971 where a driver(not sure who it is) is pushing his car down the straight away. The camera is kinda looking down the front straight and on the right hand side you can see a drivr all alone pushing his car. Very cool I thought!

Rob Neuzel
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

The size they appear is good, but you could link that small pic with a larger picture in order that when you click on the small, the bigger appears. There are some freeware or shareware programs to do so easily.

#12 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 16:29

Originally posted by Bondurand

The size they appear is good, but you could link that small pic with a larger picture in order that when you click on the small, the bigger appears. There are some freeware or shareware programs to do so easily.

You'll need two files of each image, a small "thumbnail" version and a "full-screen" version. To see how I've done it, go to http://www.stevewyant.com/trdig01.html and right-click on an empty part of the page then click "view source" which will show you the HTML code.

These are train pictures, though...

#13 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:06

Thaks for the updates everyone! I'll make the changes soon. Now that I look at the picture with the first girl, I see that is Salt Walther. Is he still alive? I thought not but something I read a while back seemed to suggest he was alive. Wish I new what I read that in.

I new I could link the smaller pictures to a bigger picture but then I would have to create a larger picture and go back and link every picture. That's alot of work. I would rather spent my "free time" scanning more pictures. Thanks again everyone

Rob

#14 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:15

Salt is indeed still alive. According to the description in an eBay auction last year where he was trying to unload one of his sportscars, there is both a movie on his life and a biography in the works (I'm not sure if they're a joint venture or independent projects, and I've seen no details anywhere on either).

A few more ID's...1974, page 4:

First Unidentified Girl is Betty Rutherford

Page 10:

Untitled 2 - Smokey
Untitled 3-5- More shots of Gary B.
Untitled 6-7 - Muther
Untitled 8 - Loquasto
Untitled 9 - Hurtubise

Page 11:

Untitled 10, 13 & 15 - Ruby
Untitled 14 - Aggie
Untitled 16 & 18 - Gurney
Untitled 19-20: McCluskey
Untitled 23 - Sid Collins
Untitled 24 - Jimmy Dilamarter is the mechanic; not sure who driver is (didn't all three VPJ guys have full face lids that month?)

Some of the wider angle Untitled action shots would definitely benefit from larger scans as I can't see enough detail in the cars to provide ID in many cases.

#15 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:50

I new I could link the smaller pictures to a bigger picture but then I would have to create a larger picture and go back and link every picture. That's alot of work. I would rather spent my "free time" scanning more pictures. Thanks again everyone

Rob

Hi Rob

There are websites such as www.imageshack.us that will take your full-size image and produce thumbnails automatically for you. You might want to consider one of these as you move forward as I agree with others that your site would benefit from the option of larger scans.

However, this is a great collection and if you have more to scan, I won't argue with your priorities.

Allen

#16 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:55

Rob

Thought I'd have a stab at your 1971 Indy 500 images.

At the top of 1971 page 1, are you sure that's Donohue's car? This looks likes the aftermath from the Mosley crash which also involved the parked cars of Donohue, Krisiloff and Warren. I'm pretty confident that the car in those second and third pictures on page one isn't Warren's Eagle or Donohue's McLaren and it's definitely not Mosley's rolled-into-a-ball Eagle so I'd say it's Krisiloff's McNamara which looks like Mosley's car was on top of it at some point.

The car in the very first picture could be Warren's 1966 Eagle. I agree the tenth picture is Donohue's car.

The #19 car on page 3 is Arnie Knepper's 1969 Cecil. The #65 car in Untitled 2, 3, 4 and 6 is Ernie Ruiz' Travelon Trailer car with either Jigger Sirois or Arnie Knepper aboard but I'd love to see an enlarged image of that car as I've never known what it was. An Eagle perhaps, or maybe the same old Gerhardt they'd been using for years. Untitled 5 is the #94 Vatis-entered car which Bruce Walkup and Bentley Warren tried out. I'm not entirely certain what that car was either but I'd guess it was the same Finley-built, Huffaker-based car that they had been using for the last few years.

Untitled 9 is Sam Posey in the #78 Farrell's Ice Cream Eagle and your picture confirms this to be Grant's 1968 Eagle. Untitled 18 is a Mongoose and you can just make out a '1' behind the front wheel so it must be Cale Yarborough's #21 car. Untitled 19 and 20 are of a McNamara, either Andretti's or Krisiloff's. I checked Hungness and Krisiloff's mirror was on the opposite side so this must be Mario's car.

Allen

#17 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 13:32

First picture is Mosley's #98 Eagle: it crashed at Turn 4 in the race. Isn't that also Mosley in the first picture on page 3?

Untitled 2 could be Mike Hiss. The Page Racing badge on the overalls is the clue.

Untitled 15 appears to be the 1970 Eagle in which Dallenbach was bumped.

Don't think that's Peter Revson. I agree with theunions that it's Art Pollard.

The #91 car is the Curtis. Entered as the #91 Steed Special, it had a reputation for rarely leaving the garage.

Untitled 39 is Jerry Karl in Carl Gehlhausen's Gerhardt, a non-qualifier.

Allen

#18 szautke

szautke

• 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 21:03

Rob

The #19 car on page 3 is Arnie Knepper's 1969 Cecil. The #65 car in Untitled 2, 3, 4 and 6 is Ernie Ruiz' Travelon Trailer car with either Jigger Sirois or Arnie Knepper aboard but I'd love to see an enlarged image of that car as I've never known what it was. An Eagle perhaps, or maybe the same old Gerhardt they'd been using for years.

Allen

Very good Allen, yep that's an old Gerhardt. in fact that thing may date to 1965 when Duman made the race with it. I'll have to look into that.

-Steve Zautke

#19 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 22:32

Hi Steve

Anything you have on that would be greatly appreciated.

Don't I recall you from aeons ago on some bulletin board that I used to use before TNF even existed. Can't even remember what it was now. Wasn't Compuserve was it?

Allen

Advertisement

#20 Herbert

Herbert

• 354 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 21:39

Originally posted by theunions

1973, Page 4:

Untitled 8 - Harkey

Isn't it Mel Kenyon?

#21 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:00

Originally posted by Herbert
Isn't it Mel Kenyon?

That's who I thought it was too, but with the massive fire risks the drivers endured back then it wouldn't surprise me if it were someone else.

#22 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:17

Originally posted by Herbert

Isn't it Mel Kenyon?

You know, you're right...Harkey had/has a slightly chubbier face and no facial burns. Didn't even notice the latter the first time I looked, which threw me off.

#23 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 16:50

Those are fantastic photos, from a great era in motor racing. Your dad must have enjoyed himself immesensly.

I especially like the photos of the mid-field and rear-field runners. Very candid, of people and cars who you don't often see photos of.

Dave

#24 gbl

gbl

• 451 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 20:09

Anyone else recognized the two #4 Eagle in 1974 / Vukovich? There is an Eagle 72 and an Eagle 74. Even the engines on the Eagle 72 seem to differ.

#25 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 20:29

Vuky blew the engine on his 1974 car in qualifying (Davidson p30) so qualified his 1972 backup car instead. The backup car was entered as #32, the traditional Sugraripe Prune team number, but would have raced as #4.

Allen

#26 gbl

gbl

• 451 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 22:25

Is it possible to rescan the following pictures in bigger size for identification?

1972:

Pic 15
Pic 15 (second)
Pic 27
Pic 28
Pic 38

1973:

second Rick Muther (for the engine)

@Allen: Are you sure that the Vatis Finley of 1973 and 1974 are the same, they look a little bit different?

#27 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 22:53

Originally posted by gbl
@Allen: Are you sure that the Vatis Finley of 1973 and 1974 are the same, they look a little bit different?

No, I'm not at all sure. The Finleys are a real puzzle. Which pictures are you looking at?

Allen

#28 gbl

gbl

• 451 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:49

Johnny Parsons in 1973 compared to the official qualifying picture from 1974

#29 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 13:22

Just had a look and I see what you mean. The car is quite different, especially the cockpit, which is less upright at the front and also the fuel tanks on the side but the sidepods look like they've been updated along the same lines as the Eagles. As it was originally an Eagle copy, it would make sense for them to have tracked Eagle changes. The nose is also a little different and they've added an engine cover.

Wasn't there some change to fuel tankage required in 1974? I seem to recall us discussing that before here - something to do with tank capacity so the Eagle went down to one tank instead of two? I'm struggling to remember this now. Also, did they move the oil tank to the rear of the left sidepod? That might be what's been done to the Fleagle too.

Davidson and Hungness both say it's the same car so I'm inclined to believe that it is. However, Finley had obviously been busy over those 12 months with updates.

Allen

#30 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 18:27

You guys are unbelievable with your knowledge!! Thanks a million!
I hve gone through and updated all the missing information with the correct info. If I missed any please forgive me and let me know. I will go through and make the pictures link to larger ones or change the entire format so that you can click on the small one and link to a larger on. Time! It is not on my side. I will do it after I scan more pictures. Currnetly working on scanning CanAm and F5000 cars from the same years. Only about 600 left of those. Then I will go through and make larger images. So it maybe a little while.

gbl - I will try and make larger photos of the ones you requested. If I can figure it out, I will post them on Atlas. If not I'll link them to larger.

Neuz

#31 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 18:32

Neuz - your website is more than a collection of your dad's pictures. It's a referenece document!

Superb!

#32 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 19:19

You mean my hardwork and glearing eyes from the wife because I am spending all my time working on it , is paying off :clap:

Seriously, thanks.

Neuz

#33 szautke

szautke

• 89 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 22:03

Hi Steve

Anything you have on that would be greatly appreciated.

Don't I recall you from aeons ago on some bulletin board that I used to use before TNF even existed. Can't even remember what it was now. Wasn't Compuserve was it?

Allen

Yep, thats :wave: me, sorry for the delay. I love this site, but my other duties keep me from here at times. I don't always have time to follow up.

Keep in touch.

#34 Andretti Fan

Andretti Fan

• 393 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 23:57

Nuez..........you have a great site there........keep up the good work. Allen, I have enjoyed your site as well. I simply can't believe the amount of work you have had to have put into it. Truly a labor of love. My hats off to both of you :)

#35 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 15:15

I thank you as I am sure Allen does as well. Speaking for myself, I absolutely love racing. I am thankful that my father is a wonderful photographer and I have always enjoyed his pictures.

I have recently added 1972 Indy 500 pictures as well as ALMS from Mid Ohio 2006.

Thanks again,
Neuz
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

#36 masterpiece

masterpiece

• 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 13:32

When I can look the image of Imsa in your website? (your very interesting website)

#37 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 18:49

Hey masterpiece,
I am currently scanning slides of the early 70's Indy 500. As soon as I finish those I hope to start onto IMSA from the 80's. Unfortunetly, scanning is a long process.

Neuz
www.yesterdaysneuz.com