Photo

Willie Green progress

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 16:07

I thought historic racing regulars might just like to know that Willie Green is now out of a wheelchair and ambulatory again following his injuries unfortunately sustained at the last Goodwood Revival Meeting.

All ligaments in both his knees had been detached or severed by the incident, in which he was thrown out of the Maserati 4CLT, which then ran over his knees, thighs and pelvis after he had landed on the track surface. He says that at the time "the human body is wonderful, what with endorphins and adrenalin surging around it really didn't hurt much"...something for which it subsequently compensated!

Most painfully, as he came out of the car his heels apparently caught against the seat front, which contrived to bend his toes upwards against the floor, beyond normal travel. That nadgered both feet, so one way and another he has been a very uncomfortable 'retired racing driver'...thankfully he now seems to be well on the way to recovery.

DCN

Advertisement

#2 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 16:44

I am glad to hear this stalwart of historic racing is recovering...but I have a question. Is this the second time he has been thrown from a car. That frightening photo sequence from Donington was also Willie Green, wasn't it...or am I mistaken?

Mo.

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 17:28

No, no, no, that was some-one else. Nigel someone (Hulme???) ?? Good to hear that Willie is making a recovery though.

#4 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 18:09

It was painful just reading the details in Doug's post, get well soon Willie. The first time I saw WG racing was probably at Oulton in a Chevron B8, and I was amused to see that he'd spelled his name with three Es (greeen) on both sides of the car.

#5 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 19:09

Originally posted by Gary C
No, no, no, that was some-one else. Nigel someone (Hulme???) ?? Good to hear that Willie is making a recovery though.

I think the reference is to Nigel Corner in 2000.

#6 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 19:50

Thank you, Going through that once is bad enough but the thoughts of one man doing that twice is too much to bear

Mo.

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 20:05

Originally posted by Gav Astill

I think the reference is to Nigel Corner in 2000.

No
Nigel Corner's accident was at Goodwood, not Donington

#8 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 20:20

Thank you for the update, Doug. I hope Willie will be able make a comeback at this year's Revival.

Jack

#9 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 20:21

that's the one I meant, David

#10 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 20:31

I hope I'm wrong but the reports I've read recently infer that Willie has hung up his goggles & helmet and retired from motor racing.

#11 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 22:48

Originally posted by frogeye59
I hope I'm wrong but the reports I've read recently infer that Willie has hung up his goggles & helmet and retired from motor racing.

He was quoted in, I believe Motor Sport, that he's done with competition out of deference to his family. If I remember correctly, WG did intimate that he'd probably do some track testing for magazines once he's back to full strength. I remember all the track tests he did with Classic & Sportscar back in the 80s and 90s and enjoying them immensely.

Here's to a speedy recovery! (puns sort of intended)

-William

#12 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:20

Willie Green ahs been a source of great enjoyment at race tracks up and down the country. I too remember the Chevron B8 at Oulton Park. A friend and I spotted the car in the Paddock and from then on there was always the same bit of banter every time we saw 'Our Willie' on track, it went something like this:

"Is that Willie Green?"

"No, it's just the way the light is shining on it!"

Best wishes to Willie for a speedy recovery from what sound like horrendous injuries.
:wave:

#13 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:20

i certainly hope mr. green has a speedy recovery. without being too out of order may i ask if the race he was in required seatbelts? did they fail in the accident?..i ask as when i was still actively vintage racing belts were mandatory..in my gp bug i was always a bit unsure but felt that even in a rollover one would have a chance so i buckled in...i also ran a ford t that was essentially a bucket seat attached to a flat board!..i always fastened the buckle but just pushed the belt ends under the seat cushion...looked ok but i always considered the t to be more like a motorcycle..if anything happened i wanted off and would take my chances.

#14 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 19:56

Good news, Willie Green was at the VSCC Oulton Park meeting on Saturday, driving a Vauxhall 30/98 as a course car. The programme states that "Willie is very much on the mend".

#15 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 20:02

Indeed he was, and in excellent form, hardly giving any sign that his legs had been so badly injured. Clearly a very tough and determined bloke.

#16 Ian Titchmarsh

Ian Titchmarsh

• 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 20:45

I encountered Willie at Pau Historique back to his old form and back giving high speed driving courses in his Capri at Donington. His legs have mended pretty well but not perfectly. Don't put money on him never taking part in a race ever again although it is most unlikely to be a single seater.

I was the one who, reporting the Oulton Park meeting for Autosport, pointed out to Willie and his mechanics that his name had been misspelt on,as I recall, the unique Chevron-BRM B5 which he owned at that time (1968). They hadn't realised until then. I think you will find a photo of the car in Autosport or MN at the time bearing the legend WILLIAM GREEEN GARAGES on the sills.

One of Willie's best ever performances, which really established him as a wet weather star, was winning the 2-litre Sports Car race in the B5 at the very wet Martini Trophy at Silverstone that year by a over a lap from a grid full of well known names in B6s and B8s.

Where is the B5 today? I think it became a Super Saloon Skoda or some such at one stage.

#17 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 19:25

I am very pleased to hear that Willie is up and about again, after that awful Goodwood accident.
the description of what happened to his toes made me feel a bit faint.

dbw, I don't believe the car did have seatbelts.

#18 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 19:39

Excellent news. Does anybody know which race might be Willie's last win up to now? Was it in the Alfa in the Fordwater Trophy at the 2003(?) Revival?

#19 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 21:08

Originally posted by WDH74

He was quoted in, I believe Motor Sport, that he's done with competition out of deference to his family. If I remember correctly, WG did intimate that he'd probably do some track testing for magazines once he's back to full strength. I remember all the track tests he did with Classic & Sportscar back in the 80s and 90s and enjoying them immensely.

Here's to a speedy recovery! (puns sort of intended)

-William

Yep, compiled into a very nice little book by Willie and Mark Hughes -- some great cars and some fantastic insight into how they behaved.

Glad to hear Willie's on the mend.

Advertisement

#20 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:07

Originally posted by Doug Nye
I thought historic racing regulars might just like to know that Willie Green is now out of a wheelchair and ambulatory again following his injuries unfortunately sustained at the last Goodwood Revival Meeting.

All ligaments in both his knees had been detached or severed by the incident, in which he was thrown out of the Maserati 4CLT, which then ran over his knees, thighs and pelvis after he had landed on the track surface. He says that at the time "the human body is wonderful, what with endorphins and adrenalin surging around it really didn't hurt much"...something for which it subsequently compensated!

Most painfully, as he came out of the car his heels apparently caught against the seat front, which contrived to bend his toes upwards against the floor, beyond normal travel. That nadgered both feet, so one way and another he has been a very uncomfortable 'retired racing driver'...thankfully he now seems to be well on the way to recovery.

DCN

Please pass on my regards, wishing him a speedy recovery & all the best for the future.......I know what it is like to live in a wheelchair, i have MS.

#21 James Lustman

James Lustman

• 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 23:35

I am glad to hear that Willie is well on the road to recovery.

We were in the same race at the Historics in Monterey a few years back and I had the opportunity to meet Willie in the pits before the race. He is quite a gentleman and I am pleased to here he is doing well.

James Lustman

#22 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 23:49

How is Rupert Avon doing after his crash at Goodwood in the Jaguar C-Type in 2003?