Personal photos from the hills

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#51 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:19

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Ray, if you let me have an email address I shall send a jpeg to you.

Excellent... can't wait...

r@ybell.net will get it there. Doesn't your e.mail work? I e.mailed you through this forum about three days ago?

Advertisement

#52 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,857 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 14:00

Here is a batch from Loton Park - I'll wait for Stephen W to fill in the date!

Chris Cramer - March 76A
Posted Image

This is such a great picture of such an atractive car, it's prompted me to publish my March 76A page at last.

Thanks Alan.

Allen

#53 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,605 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 18:28

As with all the "Top Ten" runners, the cars were (and still are) beautifully turned out.

#54 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 170 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 19:28

Here is another photograph of Chris Cramer's March. Pontypool Park 1976. Not the best photo, I was only ten at the time.

Posted Image

------------
Welsh Motor Sport History

#55 Toby Moody

Toby Moody

• 60 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 22:19

Excellent stuff.

I shall have to dig out my Mikkola at Shelsley in July 1986 ones. In the album. Will have to scan.

Brilliant thread. The pictures of the F5000 cars at Shelsley in '75 remind me of my VERY first memories of Shelsley. The Yardley BRM was the car I remembered first at the hill. That and the prize giving at Bottom S.

TWJM

#56 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:15

Originally posted by Toby Moody
That and the prize giving at Bottom S.

TWJM

Toby, I always thought the prize giving at the Bottom S was wonderful. That was the spot where the crowd stayed right to the end of the run-off and to then have the Top Ten contenders stop and recieve their pots was brilliant.

Why was it stopped?

#57 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:53

Originally posted by johnwilliamdavies
Here is another photograph of Chris Cramer's March. Pontypool Park 1976. Not the best photo, I was only ten at the time.

Posted Image

------------

Oh to hear that GA V6 again on open pipes........ :rolleyes: Great car, great driver,great engine.

Does Chris Cramer get the nod for the coolest set of sideburns in 70's hillclimbing?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#58 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:13

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Any chance of a larger scan of the Cooper-Chrysler?

I'd like to identify which engine it's running...

Good thread, by the way, I'll have to find my pic of Barrie Garner's Bowin.

Don't know if it's any help, Ray, but last night I found the programme for ther Harewood event where I saw the Cooper-Chrysler and it describes the engine as being 7200cc.

#59 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:57

Originally posted by ian senior

Don't know if it's any help, Ray, but last night I found the programme for ther Harewood event where I saw the Cooper-Chrysler and it describes the engine as being 7200cc.

The Cooper-Chrysler was built up by Cooper Car Co during the off season 1967/68. The chassis was alledgedly an ex-Rindt T81B (7.2 Cooper-Chrysler T81B F1-1-67). The engine was described as 'mildly tuned'.

:wave:

Advertisement

#60 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:01

Originally posted by Stephen W

The Cooper-Chrysler was built up by Cooper Car Co during the off season 1967/68. The chassis was alledgedly an ex-Rindt T81B (7.2 Cooper-Chrysler T81B F1-1-67). The engine was described as 'mildly tuned'.

Didn't Martin Brain have a Cooper-Daimler at one point - presumably the 4.5 litre Daimler motor, and not the "tiddler" as found in the SP250 etc?

#61 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:02

7.2 litres? That's a 440, the biggest they made, and quite a new engine at that time!

The picture is still difficult to interpret as I have been looking at it. Certainly the engine is in a mild state of tune... just one 4-barrel carburettor atop the vee.

But the distributor is up front, so that means it's not a 'small block' (273, 318, 340 or 360), and it's clearly not a Hemi. So it's undoubtedly an 'RB' engine, the later lighter-build 'big block' which could mean anything from 383 to 440 ci.

It also looks to have an LG-type gearbox.

That's one hell of a lump in the back of a Cooper! Thanks, Alan, for the pic.

#62 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:08

Originally posted by Ray Bell
7.2 litres? That's a 440, the biggest they made, and quite a new engine at that time!

The picture is still difficult to interpret as I have been looking at it. Certainly the engine is in a mild state of tune... just one 4-barrel carburettor atop the vee.

But the distributor is up front, so that means it's not a 'small block' (273, 318, 340 or 360), and it's clearly not a Hemi. So it's undoubtedly an 'RB' engine, the later lighter-build 'big block' which could mean anything from 383 to 440 ci.

It also looks to have an LG-type gearbox.

That's one hell of a lump in the back of a Cooper! Thanks, Alan, for the pic.

Is this the same car with Ian Swift at the wheel, Prescott 1972?

Posted Image

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#63 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:36

Didn't Martin Brain have a Cooper-Daimler at one point - presumably the 4.5 litre Daimler motor, and not the "tiddler" as found in the SP250 etc?

Also over the winter 1967/68 Martin Brain had Coopers build him a F2/3 based T87 chassis into which was installed a 2.6 litre Daimler V8. This was intended for use on the tighter hills where the T81 would be too much of a handful!

Brain used the Daimler powered Cooper at just two British Hillclimb Championship rounds in 1968 - Prescott and Great Auclum. Over thw winter 1968/69 he sold the Daimler powered car to Clive Oakley who campaigned it in the Hillclimb Championship for several years.

For 1969 Martin Brain had the Cooper-BRM T86B whilst retaining the Cooper-Chrysler as back-up.

The Cooper-Chrysler was sold to Johnty Williamson who hillclimbed and sprinted it with great success winning the 1971 British Sprint title.

Williamson sold the car onto Terry Smith who used it in for speed events taking tenth in the 1972 British Sprint series with limited appearances.

It then passed onto Ian Swift who competed mainly in the South West.

#64 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 13:02

Originally posted by johnwilliamdavies

Posted Image

------------

Fond memories..I was there that day also. This photo shows the rugby club in the background. The club buildings formed a natural archway/tunnel leading up to the startline so even from the top of the hill you knew when the big boys were coming...

An abiding Pontypool memory is of watching Peter Voigt in the diminutive Renwick special screaming up the avenue (towards the pool hairpin), flanked by very stout trees and praying that he would keep it pointing forwards...

A couple of other memories. Cramer's March appeared at a few meetings with a strange dimpled nosecone, the theory being that aerodynamic efficiency would be enhanced (any photos?). Also I have a vague recollection of a big accident involving a Marcos at Pontypool. The car ended up in a plantation and it was difficult to identify what was Welsh wood and what was Marcos wood. Did it involve Roger Andreason ??

#65 Toby Moody

Toby Moody

• 60 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 15:36

Got my scanner fired up now. Have to work out how to post pictures up...

(Page 1) White and blue Chevron in between the Esses at Shelsley is Mike MacDowel. Was MD at the time of Coombs of Guildford who were major BMW dealers; hence why Mike has been seen driving John Coombs' Yellow D Type at various places. To be fair - had to pass picture on to JWM to ask. He would have been commentating from Top S in those days.

Excellent thread - will tell more speed hill climbers.

TWJM

#66 Toby Moody

Toby Moody

• 60 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 22:58

I found a few 1995 pictures today.

Here is the 2005 World Touring Car Champion en route to being victorious in the British Speed Hill Climb Championship.

Wiscombe 1995.

TWJM

Posted Image

#67 Toby Moody

Toby Moody

• 60 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 23:12

Grace, Brown. May Gurston 1998.

The Liqui Moly Gould, before it wanted to turn into the Liqui Dated car due to failure of payments.

Posted Image

#68 Toby Moody

Toby Moody

• 60 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:16

Some I found of Shelsley in the snow.

A little different from August 2005 in the sunshine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#69 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 13:07

Toby, it would be great seeing Nic Mann's Sports Libre tackling a snowy Shelsley, now that would be special!

#70 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 18:21

Posted Image

Roy Lane in his MacLaren M10B at Doune in June 1971

#71 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,857 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 18:30

It worked Steve.

Now, where did I put my magnifying glass? :D

#72 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,605 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 18:30

Just to bore you all absolutely rigid, another helping of Loton Park. From two different meetings - one in 1976 and another from 1977.

Posted Image Posted Image Chris Cramer with a revised nosecone on the 76A

Posted Image Cramer's impressive go-faster mutton-chop sideburns

Posted Image ADO's Pilbeam

Posted Image Roy Lane's March 741(?)

Posted Image Mike Macdowell's Ralt

Posted Image Macdowell Posted Image Tony Griffiths

Posted Image Martyn Griffiths' March 742

Posted Image Alan Richards' Surtees with revised nose

#73 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,605 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:09

A postscript to the above:

Posted Image Macdowell on the hill
Posted Image Martyn Griffiths' Severn Advertising March
Posted Image Roy Lane

#74 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:40

Marvellous, Alan - just wonderful. Keep 'em coming. And don't you just love Cramer's sideburns!

#75 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:11

Do I spy Mike Pilbeam's influence on that revised Cramer March Nose? It looks very like one of the two variations used on the 1977 Lec, which MP designed of course.

This is a great thread chaps! I didn't attend a hillclimb untill 1979 (age 12) so have generally only seen a lot of these cars depicted in black and white in AUTOSPORT or MOTORING NEWS previously. This is really bringing things to life.

I've been a hillclimb addict ever since that first rainy day at Prescott, by chance the only win for Roy Lane's 6 wheel March - anyone got a shot of that one?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#76 MCS

MCS

• 3,530 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:27

Marvellous, Alan - just wonderful. Keep 'em coming. And don't you just love Cramer's sideburns!

Hear, hear - these are wonderful pictures. Thanks Alan. :up:

Cramer always appeared a little unusual to me (and no, not just because of those sideburns!)

He rarely seemed to speak to anybody and always seemed to be staring into the middle distance... :eek:

(Just my view, you understand!)

#77 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,857 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:04

Great pictures Alan!

#78 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:23

Here is a batch from Loton Park - I'll wait for Stephen W to fill in the date!

.photobox.co.uk/94130341e8a6e9b987580ed4836ca138b9938a11f733008c10fc6976.jpg[/IMG]

Posted Image

Keeping the theme going

Cramer

Channel Island 1980

#79 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:29

Originally posted by Nordic

Keeping the theme going

Cramer

Channel Island 1980

So who can fill us in on the little device with the bus driver's steering wheel hiding behind Martyn Griffiths' Pilbeam ??

Advertisement

#80 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,605 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:00

I would agree with you, Mark. Chris Cramer always seemed to be somewhat aloof from the rest of the crowd.

Anyone out there with some European hill/mountain climb shots?

#81 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:04

Regarding those channel island photos I think this shot of Roy Lane's March
http://rupert8766.fo...t/p3867688.html features his much campaigned and rather famous 1968 Belgian GP winning ex Bruce McLaren DFV.
Where is that engine now I wonder?

Simon lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#82 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:16

Originally posted by bill moffat

So who can fill us in on the little device with the bus driver's steering wheel hiding behind Martyn Griffiths' Pilbeam ??

Thats a bit of real history - the Martini that Tico Martini built while he was (I think) a chef working on the islands. It started out with a 650 Triumph engine . The same guy who went on to build a host of cars for F Renault, F3, F2 and eventually the F1 car the Rene Arnoux drove in 1978 .

The 'device' in the photos was still on Guernsey last time I heard and had been restored.

Simon lewis
Transport Books

#83 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:39

Originally posted by bill moffat

It is a Martini - shaken not stirred?

First came to prominance in 1962 (!) when Tico Martini won the Bouley Bay round of the British Hillclimb Championship. It featured a 650cc Triumph Tiger 110 engine and was equally devastating at Curborough where it beat 3, 4 and 5 litre opposition!

#84 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,154 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 19:31

When Tico Martini moved from Jersey to France he sold the Martini to Guernseyman Pete Wilson, who was very much the man to beat using it at Val des Terres in the '60s. He is, I believe, still campaigning it on the Guernsey hills.

#85 Toby Moody

Toby Moody

• 60 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:29

Found this too in my office...

June early 90's.

Surtees and Jenks at Shelsley Walsh.

Thanks to Phillip Rushforth for loan of picture.

Posted Image

#86 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 13:04

That is a good one...

I wonder if they're talking bikes or cars? And I wonder home much the old Jenks loved the throb of that huge cylinder beneath his... well, just there under him?

#87 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 13:05

Originally posted by Toby Moody
Found this too in my office...

June early 90's.

Surtees and Jenks at Shelsley Walsh.

Thanks to Phillip Rushforth for loan of picture.

That was a memorable day, getting to meet F1 two heroes in the paddock and both riding bikes!
John Surtees was very relaxed, chatted to everyone, and was keen to get has hands oily tinkering with the bike. Jenks meantime passed some comment about preferring Shelsley to being at the forthcoming Grand Prix....

Meanwhile whatever happened to.....

Posted Image

.... Phil Jefferies Trackstar? Was it eventually banned?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#88 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 13:31

Ah yes, the Trackstar.

Well the MSA in its wisdom thought they could cleverly get rid of ALL karts from speed events. They introduced an additional regulation for Speed Events which put a MINIMUM wheelbase on ALL Racing Car and Sports Libre classes. So Phil Jefferies asked the MSA to FAX him a definition of wheelbase. This duly arrived and it stated roughly that 'wheelbase was the distance from the centre line of the front wheels to the centre line of the rear wheels'. So Phil and his co-driver built a little trailer that they attached to the back of the Trackstar which made it like a mini-bendy-bus! They got away with this because the MSA did not specify that one of the set of wheels had to be driven!

The following year the amendment was made and the poor old Rattari (an alternative name for the six wheeled Trackstar) was retired permanently.

#89 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 13:33

Posted Image

This is Robin Goodfellow in the Cooper based Fireball 5000 taken at Doune in June 1971.

NB Allen - that's a bit bigger!

#90 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,857 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 13:51

Hi Steve

That's a very interesting car. I think I once read somewhere that it was a Cooper T76, which was (apparantly) a 1965 F3 car. I hope he'd upgraded the brakes!

Allen

#91 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 14:01

Posted Image

This is Geoff Whyte in the ex-Martin Brain Cooper-Daimler. The picture was taken at Orchard Corner, Harewood at a BARC Championship meeting in 1975.

#92 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,120 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 14:35

Just in case anyone starts Googling the Cooper Intercontinental at Doune was driven by Andrew Goodfellow one of Scotland's classic club racers of the 1960s and '70s. Comes from Falkirk and still lives there as far as I am aware.

#93 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 14:56

Originally posted by Graham Gauld
Just in case anyone starts Googling the Cooper Intercontinental at Doune was driven by Andrew Goodfellow one of Scotland's classic club racers of the 1960s and '70s. Comes from Falkirk and still lives there as far as I am aware.

OOOPS! Thanks Graham! A bit of brain fade there. I had made a note prior to posting and just put Goodfellow. Should have stuck to that instead of putting my size 10s in it!

:blush:

#94 T52

T52

• 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 17:45

Posted ImageHarewood House 1969

Posted ImageOliver's Mount 1969

Posted ImageBaitings Dam Paddock 1970

Does anyone recall seeing this little Cooper T52 ?

#95 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,605 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 19:34

Some nice pictures T52.

Some final ones from Loton Park
Posted Image Phil Scragg Chevron

Posted Image Peter Voigt - Voigt-Renwick Special

Posted Image Hillclimb champ-to-be, James Thompson

#96 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 19:50

Posted Image

:up:

#97 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,694 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 20:43

Classy pic there, Twinny...

You should put that on the 'Photographers' thread in the Paddock Club.

#98 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,650 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:25

Posted Image

This is George Starbuck in his Chrysler Special - 6.2 litres of V8 Sports Libre!

Taken at Orchard Corner, Harewood in July 1975.

#99 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,857 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 20:54

Great pictures guys!

Do either of you have a picture of the Vebra-Chev from the mid to late 1970s?

Allen

Advertisement

#100 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 630 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 22:29

Fantasric photos, I have only visited one British Hillclimb, Prescott in 79, the event Simon Lewis attended , how abot pics of the odd ball sports and saloon entries ,keep it going lads.