Photo

Introduce yourself!

• Please log in to reply
2754 replies to this topic

#101 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 06:35

Putting this thread back on top for all of our "junior" members. ;-) Ordered DSL and in the process of moving my site to a new server where I'll have 200mb to play with. Will be placing some multimedia files that I had to remove back on the website. How about the sound of a 250F or a BRM V16.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Life is racing, the rest is waiting

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

Advertisement

#102 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 10:16

My name is Michael and I am married to a wonderful girl named Arianne ('ferrari chic' on this board). We have 3 kids. All boys, so it is a very wild house hold. Jakob is 4, Seamus is 2 and Nathan is 6 months. (And I'm only 25!!!!!). It seems that peoples fathers had alot to do with them getting into racing, and I'm no exception. My first race was at Lime Rock here in Connecticut with some vintage racers and then a race with 'Le Mans' cars. I'm not sure what the series was called then, but I still have some great pictures of the Jags. I've been only following F1 for a few years now, spurred on by my lust for Ferrari road cars, but have thrown myself into it fully. As has Arianne. It's great having that to share as it seems many mens wives don't give a hoot. We also love Mountain Biking, Hiking and any 'outdoor' activities together.

I'm an avid modeler and will shortly be opening a business online to sell F1 and other racing models, as well as books and eventually apparel. It will be entirely part time at first but it is my goal to be able to make a full time living with it someday.

Currently I work for Kaman Aerospace here in Connecticut as a CAD/CAM Programmer. The pay is good and the benefits are great so it will be hard to give it up, but someday I must.

We've been big 'vee-dub' heads for some time now and currently own a '90 passat, a '63 sunroof beetle and a '78 Westfalia Camper. Along with a '60 AH Sprite. Which shares my fathers garage with his Sprite and a '57 Plymouth Fury.

I'm also extremely interested in early Grand Prix history but my knowledge is still very much in it's infancy and look forward to learning alot on this forum. With Dennis, Don and Karl around, I believe I will gain alot.

Thanks.

#103 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 05 March 2000 - 02:46

To all the recent additons - Mono-posto, db7, Yohbi, Fredd, CVAndrw, Keir, ZippyD, and any others I missed - Welcome and hope that you find this the place to be. Many of you have already moved and made yourselves comfortable, great!

We try to make this both fun and informative. Ask and we'll find the answer - even if we have to think about it for awhile!

Again, I never cease to be amazed what a varied group hangs out here. Wow! Who wodda thunk it!

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

Semper Gumbi: If this was easy, we’d have the solution already…

#104 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 05 March 2000 - 03:45

My thoughts exactly. I don't know another forum quite like this one.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#105 KzKiwi

KzKiwi

• 150 posts

Posted 05 March 2000 - 04:36

Hello and greetings to all nostalgia forum members. My real name is Kirk Martin, aged 35. That makes my date of birth around the era when McLaren, Hulme and Amon were establishing themselves in Europe.

If you had not of guessed by now I am from New Zealand, a small country of 3.5 million people in the South Pacific - just 'down the road' from Australia. Due to the countries small size and isolation from Europe and America, etc,information and data on such things as mainstream motor racing was either hard to come by or delayed - that is until the last 3 to 4 years with the advent of the internet. This has become invaluable in keeping up with what is going on around the would, with sites like this being the 'icing on the cake'.

I am an addicted motor racing nut, and enjoy all facets of the sport. Years ago (in the 1980s)I was a committed and serious Kart racer, until I discovered my future wife! I also collect motor racing books, with an emphasis on what I want to collect not what the book is worth to resell. Obviously this includes a lot of racing history - so much so that modern Formula One is not my highest priority at the moment.

My interest in motor racing is balanced between spending time with my wife and 3 children (aged 8, 9 and 11)as well as our newest addition to the family, "Tunza", a Samoyed puppy. As long as he stays away from my bookshelf he is most welcome!

During the day I work as a qualified Engineer, which provides the income to allow me to pursue my interests.

Enough for now, hope to catch up with some of you through various threads on this forum.

Regards, Kirk

#106 404KF2

404KF2

• 2,262 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 14:57

Hi there,

I've only posted on the "main" board to date, but may spend a little more time here in the future.

My actual name is Eric M, b. 1960. Royal Canadian Air Force Brat. We moved to France in 1960, a few weeks after I was born. Dad's Dauphine(!) wasn't ready from Billancourt right after our arrival so he borrowed an RCAF fighter pilot's Porsche 356 Coupe for 2 months (no kidding). So I spent very early infancy in the back of a Porsche. Fun! I've lived nearly everywhere else in Canada since, plus 3 years in NL.

My first racing was with a Strombecker slot car set (age 4), followed by a little bit of racing on TV in the late 1960s.

While living in NL, Dad took me to Spa-Francorchamps for the 1970 1000 km race. From then on I was hooked. Remembering the sound of a Porsche 917 flat-12 if full cry coming out of La Source still sends shivers up my spine.

Back in Canada I was a rally fan in the 1970s (had to wait for Motorsport magazine to get any news back then) and still a bit of a sports prototype racing fan even after the 917 and 512S were killed in 1972. The Matra-Simcas were pretty nice, but definitely not in the 917's league.

Once I started driving, I was at slalom and rally events in the Vancouver area whenever possible. I burned many a set of front tires off my modified Renault 5 at such events. Local rallies were mainly map navigation, not performance events. Anyway, it was fun at the time.

I was a huge fan of Peugeot's 205 Turbo 16 rally car and pleased when it kicked Audi's butt in 1985 and 1986 in the WRC. I also am a huge fan of the Peugeot Grand Prix cars 1912-1919, the originator of the modern high-performance engine layout. Funny how no-one's really done that much better for nearly 90 years, though Felix Wankel gave it a good shot...

I've been an F1 fan since the mid-1970s when tape-delayed races were occasionally shown on US TV. I also watched Gilles Villeneuve on TV in snowmobile races, then in Formula Atlantic, then in (gasp) F1 with great admiration. The hold that Gilles had on many of my fellow Canadians was astonishing and it was a day of national mourning when he died. I felt sick.

The little Villeneuve bronze bust erected by Enzo Ferrari at Maranello after Gilles' death was a reflection of the old guy's love for Gilles.

I used to go to PIR in the early 1980s (Portland OR) for the IMSA GT series and Champion Spark Plug Challenge. Bobby and Tommy Archer were racing Renault 5 Alpines at the time and they were great! Nothing was faster that the R5A's in the esses.

I wake myself up at 4:30 AM every F1 season to watch the events live. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Sometimes my son gets up towards the end of the broadcasts. Watching live has its dsadvantages as well - seeing Senna die on live TV was something I could have done without.

In 1998, My Dad and I drove across Canada in 3 days to attend the Grand Prix du Canada. That trip was great. Too bad Jacques was driving a dog that year (not as bad as a BAR, it is true).

As for a CV - well I have a B.Sc. in Geography/Ecology and a Masters Degree in natural resources management. I work as a manager in a local government community planning office.

Present cars: 1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection; 1989 Peugeot 405 SRI.

Enough said.

404KF2

#107 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 18:15

Great, another Peugeot man!
How about you email me a pic of your coupe (raybell@eisa.net.au) and I'll email you a pic of one I have (the pic, not the car!).
My dream car is a 504 coupe (see What do you drive? thread).
All the 404 needs is a 504 engine to come up to its chassis ability...

------------------
Life and love are mixed with pain...

#108 FlagMan

FlagMan

• 475 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 21:29

I guess its about time I introduced myself - given that I have been posting to the 'Boring Old Farts Club' since Don set it up and now spend more time here than in the 'kindergarten'.

I was born in UK in March 1948, attended my first race meetings in about 1959-60 when my dad and I occasionally went to club meetings at Snetterton, although we were more into 2 wheel sports such as moto-cross.

I guess I was hooked by the noise and smell but didn't get activly involved in 4 wheel motor sport until late '60s (although I had carried on with the 2 wheel variety right through my late teens) whilst reading Electronic Engineering at university where I fell in with a group of motor sport loonies who where into rallying etc.

After graduating I moved to the North West of England and got into marshalling at Oulton Park.

Marshalling has sort of taken over most of my spare time since then - so I guess you could classify me as a motor-sport nutcase.

By occupation I am a software engineer - having just gained MCSD Accreditation - restarting studying after a gap of nearly 30 years is not easy - my brain hurts!

I like all forms of motor sports - especially circuit racing, and not just F1.

Last year I sort of had a year off marshalling - mainly because of the studying, and only managed about 30 days on the circuits. I don't know what I am going to be doing this year at present the only meeting I am down to do is the GP - and that only because we had to volunteer for it last October - must get round to filling in the volunteering slips for this season.

My other hobbies are food and drink - particularly malt whisky, and in the past I did a lot of model making - yes you guessed it - racing cars - what else! - although I haven't had time for that lately.

I'm afraid I do not have the historical knowledge of people like Don and Dennis but I occasionally put in my 'two penneth' whenever I have anything to say.

One thing I can claim is that I have probably met more racing drivers than most posters here at Atlas - mainly when they had just reduced a perfectly good race car to its semi-component form at my feet.

Notable 'scalps' include - Senna, Prost, Mansell, Rosberg, De Cesaris, Warwick ( several times), Daly, Cheever, Herbert, Sullivan, Irvine, Hakinnen... just to mention F1 drivers - although they were not necessarily in F1 at the time.

[This message has been edited by FlagMan (edited 03-08-2000).]

#109 Eagle104

Eagle104

• 123 posts

Posted 18 March 2000 - 12:42

Hello everyone,
My real name is Paul Castagnoli. I'm originally from a small Indiana town very near the Indiana/Illinois state line called Universal.

On March 22nd I'll have been a broadcast engineer at Indianapolis TV station WRTV/Ch6 for 24yrs. WRTV was originally WFBM, Indiana's first television station, and signed-on the air on May 30th, 1949, with flag-to-flag coverage of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

While growing up I would tune-in to Ch6's "Trackside" program each day in May. The weekday, or "practice" day, pgms would just use two cameras: one aimed at the 'talent', while the other would 'chase' the racecars on the speedway. Sometime in the late '60s I decided that "someday I'm gonna be that cameraman"...well, long-story short, by 1978 Camera1 was mine! And from 1978 thru 1987 I 'chased' the racecars for every minute of green-light during practice and qualifications. In 1988 IMS changed the rules (sound familiar?!) and put their own production company in place, providing the same 'pool-feed' for evereyone at a very substantial fee($$$$). After, unceramoniously, being 'kicked off' my beloved Camera1, I moved into editing features for our "Trackside" broadcast.

In 1993, Tom Carnegie, who has been the PA announcer at Indy since 1946, asked if I would like to produce, with him, the videos for each year's IMS Hall Of Fame inductees, as well as a separate "feature" in addition. Tom was Sports Director at Ch6 from the early 50's til he retired from there in '86(he's still the "Voice" of the Indy PA, though). The historic video we use is from the collection of *many* years of Ch6's 500 coverage, of which I'm 'keeper' of.

I have been a race fan for as long as I can remember. My brother first took me to IMS in 1959, when I was 5yrs old. Except for his two years in the Army, we would get to the Speedway at least once every May, usually more. But, I didn't see my first 500 til 1970.

I became a fan of Dan Gurney in 1964 and never looked back! Because of hs background, I became a fan of F1 too. So, basically I've followed all aspects of his career, which means this year I'll be paying extra close attention to the Toyota/Atlantic series, since he'll be campaigning his son, Alex.

"Eagle104" is the chassis number that Dan Gurney won the Belgian Grand Prix with, in 1967. I wouldn't have known that fact had it not been for Karl Ludvigsen's book, "Gurney's Eagles". Thanks, Karl. Can't wait for May 15th to get here! :)

I have been very fortunate and am grateful for the fun things I've been blessed with, but certainly don't consider myself to be an expert of any sort. I just really enjoy the 'nostalgic' side of our sport, and that's why I'm glad I found this place.

Oh, by the way, I don't live in Indianapolis...I live near the town of DANville, Indiana. Go figure!! :D

#110 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 18 March 2000 - 12:51

Welcome Eagle/Paul glad to have you aboard. The thing I'll remember while visiting the museum was all the trophies from MY hero Rudolf Caracciola.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#111 Eagle104

Eagle104

• 123 posts

Posted 18 March 2000 - 13:27

Thank you, Dennis.

Caracciola trophies, indeed! I know that the late Mr. Hulman did his best to see to it that Rudy was well looked-after following the serious injuries he sustained after his accident which, I believe, took place at the spot on the track that you see when you walk out of the museum.

Btw, I have visited your site. Very nice!

#112 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 18 March 2000 - 13:39

Yes he was a "friend" of baby Alice.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#113 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 18 March 2000 - 22:06

Paul -
the reason I asked where you live in Indiana is because I have a son in Bloomington who needs a reminder to send his dad about five years of Road & Track!
Interesting life you've been leading, but then I guess we all have. If I recall, 1964 was a pretty good year to be following Dan - Rouen and Spa.... great drives, one rewarded, the other unrewarded.

------------------
Life and love are mixed with pain...

#114 Walrus

Walrus

• 44 posts

Posted 19 March 2000 - 03:06

Hi, I`m from Finland,Oulu 14 years old(Quess I`m the yuongest here!) and been watching F1 since the 1994 closing, eversince I`ve watched every race. My intrest to older F1 has risen just few years ago and whit GPL i`ve began to love them. In Finland we have little group over the internet who manage their own teams (runned whit GP2)in "Historic GP2 Manager".There are real drivers, motors and lead designers, whom you chose within your budget(That`s not all of course!). It started from 1950 and has gone further few seasons(don`t judge it, we don`t take it SO seorious, really.)
In Finland you can`t just ask about F1 ffrom people at your age(Ray,Dennis)because first real news about F1 arrived her late 70s, when Rosberg started. My grandpa has seen some racing in Keimola Motorstadium(Clark,Brabham and others raced there!) which is nowadays ruined by some old ladies who can`t stand the noise. Isn`t that a pity!
Think I`m gonna go there someday and take pics as it still exicst, `cause when I`m your age it`ll be a grassfield. Maybe I`ll take some asphalt with me :)
Lately my intrest has began to rise in CART too, as I´ve noticed it`s real racing that F1 is not(anymore!).

#115 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 19 March 2000 - 10:39

Walrus
Welcome aboard.
The best time to become interested in history is when you're young.
Too often we are all too busy with our own lives and careers to take notice. By the time we do, all the older people we could have spoken to about it have died.
In the early 1960s I raced against a man named Kevin Salmon. He had a little used car yard on Parramatta Road, Sydney's main used car area in those days. To me he was just an old guy who enjoyed racing and had a great sense of humour. I got on well with him and we talked a lot - but never about motor racing history.
It wasn't until years later, when the opportunity to talk to him had passed, that I discovered he had raced as far back as the 1930s and his father had been killed at the infamous banked concrete Maroubra Speedway in the 1920s. He could have told me so much.
Now I record this sort of history but he is no longer here to ask him about it first hand.
And he is only one of many.
The other thing, looking at old circuits. You should do this NOW, because they don't stay untouched forever.

#116 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 746 posts

Posted 24 March 2000 - 02:54

Hello Everyone,

This "Introductions" thread is a great idea.

I'm a 43-year-old American, living in Cleveland, Ohio (a good state for racing since we have two CART races.) I got hooked on racing in the fall of '71, when standing in a local drug store my gaze landed on the September issue of Road & Track. The cover showed the Marko/Van Lennep Porsche in turn one at Le Mans. It hit me like a lightening bolt. I was hooked at that point. Somewhere in the house, I still have that magazine.

Many years of Road & Track and Autoweek followed, along with all the books the library possesed, and a lot I acquired in the mid-seventies. Also trips to The Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Mosport, and Watkins Glen for Can-Am, F5000, IMSA, F1, etc. Road racing has always been my main interest; yes, the others require skill also, but I believe that road racing requires the most. So I followed F1 until the late seventies. Revson and Cevert were my great heros. As CART began to run more road courses I followed CART. Now, with the terrible split in American open-wheeled racing, I find I've been in a great nostalgic mood the past several months. I've re-read Donahue's book, Cevert's autobiography, Anthony Pritchart's "Sports Car Championship", and now "The Stainless Steel Carrot", (which is about John Morton's quest for the under 2.5 liter Trans Am championship.)

I mourned the passing of the Can-Am and F5000. Still do.

Made a weak attempt to get myself started on a professional racing career; attended John Powell's racing school at Mosport in '77 and '78. Did the school, some lapping sessions, and not much else. The money got short, had a bit of a health issue, and just gave up on it. Wish I hadn't. Probably could have afforded to race karts, but I didn't.

I have a Formula Vee now. Drove a little bit last year; hope to do much more this. It's still a bit overwhelming; not just the driving, but the logistics of getting everything to a racetrack, and the mechanics (heh, I'm learning auto mechanics as I also learn to race.) But it's a neat little car and I expect to have a lot of fun with it.

The years from the late sixites to the mid/late seventies are the ones I appreciate the most. So here I am.

Dave

#117 Keir

Keir

• 5,222 posts

Posted 24 March 2000 - 06:16

Welcome, Dave,
Good to have another Vee driver out there.
I sure miss those days!!!!
How are the tracks out in the mid-west?
They must be like our Northeast tracks, since
we both get the full spectrum of weather changes.

------------------
"I Was Born Ready"

#118 Cociani

Cociani

• 1,269 posts

Posted 24 March 2000 - 12:42

My full name is Keith Cociani and I am a 25 year old Realtor in Vernon British Columbia Canada.

I have been fascinated with sportscars and grand prix racing from the age of 8. My wife loves modern f1 but has absolutly no interest in the history of motor racing at all. You can't winn them all!

I think it is largly the sounds that the old cars pruduced that hooked me. I have never heard a modern F1 car in real and have been told it is quite an expirience but recorded on television the modern f1 cars just do not sound as interesting as the cars of old.
Great post.

#119 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 746 posts

Posted 24 March 2000 - 22:17

Hi Keir,

Thanks for the welcome. The only track I've driven so far is Nelson Ledges. A fun track but unbelievably bumpy. I'll drive Nelson this year and probably make it to Mid-Ohio as well. Next year, hopefully make it to the Glen.

Dave

Advertisement

#120 ZippyD

ZippyD

• 583 posts

Posted 24 March 2000 - 23:00

Good luck Dave. It's good to have another Vee driver in the ranks. Do you need a "hardly used", sometime one wheeled trailer? (see Keir's and my post in the topic "getting there")
Keir, do you still have the trailer? I still have the VW ring compressor and assorted ignition parts. I think I'll make a montage out of the stuff. It might look neat. What do you think?

------------------
"Pete, Do you sometimes get tired? Of the driving? Lately I have been getting tired. Very tired."

#121 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 March 2000 - 10:16

Don't forget to introduce yourselves!

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#122 Wing Ding

Wing Ding

• 109 posts

Posted 28 March 2000 - 13:38

Hi there! (in my best Bullwinkle imitation, "Wanna watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat" ...)

My name is Chip Walters and I was born in 1968 (31 yrs) right here in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I have remained a home boy except for a short stint at university a few miles north in Knoxville, Tennessee.

I have been in the HVACR (Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning and Refrigeration) business all of my life, as my father and grandfather before me were (Papaw learned refrigeration in the Navy). I started working in the summers of my youth at about age 9 following in my Dad's footsteps. And that is how I came by the name Chip... as in chip off the old block. (Along with the fact that I am a third generation James Arthur Walters and Art and Jim were already taken.) So if you have any questions about your home's AC buzz me and e-mail! I am a Master Electrician, Master Pipefitter, and Master Refrigeration Mechanic and spent most of my youth doing just about anything that can be done to homes throughout the southeast USA.

I am currently in sales for a company servicing 3 states in the southeast which also engineers and manufactures rack systems for grocery stores.

Unlike most of y'all, I was not exposed to racing at a young age. My exposure came one day at work about 5 or 6 years ago. One of the local plumbing suppliers that sponsors the Richard Petty STP NASCAR (at the time it was driven by Bobby Hamilton) had one of the exhibition cars at its location for a customer appreciation day. When they fired that car up I was standing about 10 feet behind the rear bumper shoulder to shoulder with about 50 other guys in a circle around the car. The guy revved up the engine to about 9000 rpms... the car backfired... AND BLEW THE HAT OFF OF THE HEAD OF THE GUY STANDING NEXT TO ME!

I was hooked.

Recently, at the suggestion of a good friend of mine, I have started to follow F1 and I love it.

#123 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 March 2000 - 14:06

Try that next to a Top-Fuel Dragster and you'll be deaf for a week! ;-)

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#124 Marco94

Marco94

• 393 posts

Posted 30 March 2000 - 21:14

WHAT?

Any way, I Marco and just like I am an engineering student from Delft University of Technology as well. Some time ago (to long actually) I finished my polytechnic education and got to call myslf BSc. Although I usually leave the final "c." ;)

My first memories of racing were the 1975 Monaco GP and Niki Lauda's crash in 1976. At the time I made some really rude remarks, but I was only 5 so I'll forgive myself. My favorite driver is Alain Prost, but Senna, Rosemeyer, Lauda and a whole lot more come very, very close. My favorite team is McLaren. Thanks to the work of John Barnard, I got interested in them.

Well, that's it for now. I am working on my master project at a BIG car manufacturer, so I'll stop by from time to time.

Marco.

#125 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 08 April 2000 - 10:09

Ok all you lurkers time to come in from the cold and have your 15 minutes of fame.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Grand Prix History

#126 C F Eick

C F Eick

• 189 posts

Posted 02 July 2000 - 16:39

Thanks Ray for the tip to search the archives for a "relaunch" of this thread!

Among all Australians, Americans, Canadians, Brits and Dutch I'm a 26-year-old Swede by the name of Christian Eick. I currently study Economics at a Swedish University and hope to finish within a year (I want to earn money!).

My interest in cars and motor racing got started by my father, like many others I've noticed, and although everybody told me I was a fanatic already at early age I find myself get more and more fanatic for every year.

As you can see in my Profile I'm interested in everything with wheels and an engine, but there are some topics that stand out: The "Silberpfeile" era, the sports cars and CanAm era of the late 60s and early 70s (the 917K is my all-time favorite car) and the Group B rally era.

My father is German and since I learned to read at the age of 2, I've been reading the "Auto, Motor und Sport" magazine. Once in a while there was an article of a race held at the Nürburgring and that started an obsession that grows stronger by the minute. I'm madly in love with that circuit, a feeling many Australians seem to have for the Bathurst circuit. Therefore I must one day visit that track too.

These fora are great (especially the Nostalgia one) and since my discovery of them 2 weeks ago I've spent every free minute here, and intend to do so in the future as well!

/C F Eick

#127 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 02 July 2000 - 16:55

Glad you found it, Christian, and should you make that trip to see Bathurst, be sure to look me up. I'll also give you a real treat and take you to Lobethal. It hasn't been used since 1948, but that shouldn't deter you too much. email me if you would like a copy of the story I wrote about it for Motor Racing Australia.
There are some other circuits you might like to walk or drive around here, you might say I do it professionally, as I write a story about a dead circuit every month for the magazine, and some of them are stunners in one way or another. I've physically seen about 45 now, having seen racing on over twenty. Which is nothing compared with what Mike Argetsinger has actually raced on, but that's another story, and he tells it bit by bit - watch for his posts.

#128 C F Eick

C F Eick

• 189 posts

Posted 02 July 2000 - 17:21

Thanks for the invitation Ray!

However, I really must ask, as did another poster some days ago, do you never sleep? According to the times on your posts you seem to get a maximum of 2 or 3 hours here and there! If I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep each night I tend to become an unpleasant person... Take care of yourself Ray, we want to keep reading your posts!

/C F Eick

#129 C F Eick

C F Eick

• 189 posts

Posted 02 July 2000 - 17:22

Thanks for the invitation Ray!

However, I really must ask, as did another poster some days ago, do you never sleep? According to the times on your posts you seem to get a maximum of 2 or 3 hours here and there! If I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep each night I tend to become an unpleasant person...
Take care of yourself Ray, we want to keep reading your posts! :)

/C F Eick

#130 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 02 July 2000 - 22:01

I didn't know so many people were keeping such a close eye on my welfare... I'm stunned! Thank you all.

#131 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 03 July 2000 - 07:09

My turn...

I was born in Bath, England, on the 9th of February 1975. I work in Microelectronics for Infineon Technologies in Bristol, England. I marshal at my local circuit of Castle Combe.

My interest in motorsport comes from my parents, who used to watch F1, as well as my father in his much younger days racing speedway. When starting my web page back in the days when Netscape hadn't yet been invented (93?), I wasn't so much in to racing history, but as my site mushroomed, I ended up digging deeper and deeper into the history of the sport, and I ended up being contacted by the infamous Felix Muelas :). The rest is history.....

As for racing myself, not a lot to report. I've done a basic course at Castle Combe race school, where I drove a Ford Escort RS Turbo and a FF1600. Twice a year I take part in my company Karting championship, which I frequently win, and I have driven twin-engined Karts on the outdoor circuits of Buckmore Park (Kent, England) and Granha Vianna (Sao Paulo, Brazil). I didn't do too badly either, despite mishaps on the way.

I am also proud to have an article posted in the very first issue of Atlas F1 (http://www.atlasf1.c...pre/galpin.html).[p][Edited by Darren Galpin on 02-21-2001]

#132 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 03 July 2000 - 08:43

Modesty! Not permitted here! You omitted the fact that you've given the world access to the best collection of circuit maps ever assembled. For which, I'm sure, we all thank you... what's the URL again?

#133 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 03 July 2000 - 08:56

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport

#134 Nomad

Nomad

• 1,464 posts

Posted 03 July 2000 - 11:27

Still lurking :)

#135 TNSFH

TNSFH

• 2,466 posts

Posted 07 July 2000 - 12:53

RayBell, Thanks for telling me about this thread.
To start off, I have been posting for about a month now, but never introduced myself. I was instucted by RayBell to come over here and make things formal.

I was born in 1956 and aquired a love of F1 about 1971. My father gave me a slot car set with a Ferrari and BRM that Christmas and have been doing some form of racing ever sence(mostly motorcycles). (Still have the slot cars too)

I am a Tool&Die Maker by trade but have a love for the arts that I work on every chance I get. I attend all the races I am able, across the USA, driving to them in my Corvette and taking photos for my artwork. I also spend a lot of time going to airshows becuase I also have a great love of airplanes.

I have a very understanding wife that likes the airshows but never goes to the auto races. I have a duaghter that is 20 and thinks I am nuts becuase I like playing on the Sony Playstation, that my 19 year old son got me hooked on. The son is now in the US Army and I miss him greatly.

I spend my free time drawing and painting and working on cars and motorcycles or flying. At present I am in the process of restoring a 1970 Jeepster Commando for my son and a 1990 Pontiac Firebird for my daughter.

I really enjoy this forum and spent at least three months just reading before I requested a user name so I could join in. So here I am. By the way TNSFH means; THERE'S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR HORSEPOWER. Comes from my dragracing days.

#136 Mullaluska

Mullaluska

• 319 posts

Posted 09 July 2000 - 10:15

Well Ray I found the thread and spent the last 2 hours reading it apart from the half hour of wasted time when I had to go to a stupid meeting
and the thread is really interesting get to know a little info about the people behind the Names

About Myself Born on the 15/01/71 which makes me 29
I was born in Dublin Ireland oldest of 5 Brothers
I started watching Formula 1 at the age 0f 9 have many great memories of Formula 1 from the 80's
I was introduced by a friend to the atlas website when he said there is a great competition on the atlas web site to win a free trip to the Canadian Grand Prix so a group of us from work decided that we would have a couple of side bets just to make the championship even more interesting (on the assumption that none of us had a chance to win the whole Competition) I basically logged in and checked it out and spent some time lurking around before I decided to jump in and get my feet wet ļ
Currently I work as the I.T. Manager for an Oil Company in Kazakhstan this means that I get to work every day for 28 days but then I get 28 days off to do what ever I want which up until recently was travel to any country in the world that would let me in ;) as of last October 18th I became the proud father of my first son Andrew who basically consumes all of my free time at present as soon as he is a bit older I will probably introduce him to the joys of F1 although I think he may already be hooked as he sits and stares at the TV while the granprix is on
Current Favorite pastimes are Formula1, Golfing, Scuba diving, Snowboarding, and basically hiking or anything outdoors
I currently Drive a Golf Gti but hope to get a BMW 328I next year but my ideal car would be a Porsche 911T or a Ferrari Testarossa but for now I will have to save the pennies again as I have just finished off paying for my house but I will get there one day
My Nick name comes from my second name and what it got corrupted to by the some of the Russian girls I work with

Anyway that will do for now as I don¡¦t really want to Bore you all to Tears

Best Regards

Dave Mullally
[p][Edited by Mullaluska on 07-09-2000]

#137 karim marouf

karim marouf

• 66 posts

Posted 18 July 2000 - 00:09

Hello. I've been following F1 since 1987, but I've only been pretty fanatical about it for the past couple of years. Actually, I usually find the races boring; I'm more interested in the whole idea of F1--the technology, the genius drivers, all the romance and drama.

I do as much "racing" as I can, though on my limited budget that means track days in my blown MR2 about a dozen times a years, plus a few vintage races every year in my dad's heavily modified MG-TD. I'd encourage anyone with a performance street car in So Cal to take advantage of the many clubs that host tracks days at Willow Springs and Buttonwillow.

I'm 28, but I've been weaned on vintage racing. I went to the Phoenix GP years ago, but I find that vintage racing is actually more fun to watch. Anyone attending the Historics this year? Stop by our pit to chat--we're running a green '52 MG-TD.

I already know that the highlight of my summer will be watching Moss drift a Maserati 250F through turns 3 and 4 at Monterey this year!

#138 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 18 July 2000 - 00:13

Envy! Nice to find another with Historic racing entanglements... I do the national newsletter for Historics in Australia.

#139 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 18 July 2000 - 00:29

I'll be im Monterey next month!

Advertisement

#140 paulb

paulb

• 2,539 posts

Posted 21 July 2000 - 14:15

My name is Paul Barr and I have instantly realized that the Nostalgia Forum will be habit forming. I just read the Masten Gregory article and went to this forum to have a look at any comments. I looked at the threads and thought to myself I better be careful because I can easily spend too much time here. What a great resource!

Anyway, to get back to this thread. I was born on November 30, 1962 in Pacoima CA. I currently live in Anaheim CA with my wife and 3 year old son. My first exposure to racing was at Ascot speedway when I was young tyke. I also saw go karts at Ontario Motor Speedway! I saw a few drag races in the area at OCIR. I got hooked on road racing after going to Riverside to see the sports car 6 hour enduros. I still remember standing at the inside of the Esses watching a slew of 935 snaking up the track. I was a regular fan at those races until the track was torn down. Saw the last major race there, a NASCAR affair. It still torques me thinking about that closure.

I also got hooked on F1 by going to the Long Beach Grand Prix. I was an autograph hound at the time and I wish I had kept better track of the names, but I won't forget getting Keke Rosberg's autograph when I recognized him as he was walking through the crowds. So I went to Long Beach until F1 ended. Since I do not have cable TV I do not see the races but I use Atlas F1 to keep up on the goings on.

I enjoy Historic racing as well. Riverside used to have vintage races and I have been to Palm Springs and Monterey to see various events. I'm starting to get my son hooked on racing as well!

Is there a model of the Eagle that Gurney won Spa with? I'd prefer one to build.

Thanks guys for letting me ramble.

#141 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 21 July 2000 - 21:11

Eagle 104 is surely the man to tell you about that... I don't know if he's been posting lately, but you'll find him around on one of the threads... go to his profile and email him... you're sure to find out there's a few.

#142 Steve

Steve

• 290 posts

Posted 22 July 2000 - 11:10

Hi everyone!
Like my username suggests my name is Steve and I'm 17 years of age.
I'm a regular reader of the nostalgia forum but have never posted here at all. I'm very interested in the classic era of racing but wouldn't be able to add much to a converation due to inexperience.
First encounter with racing of any kind was the 1988 Australian GP. A combination of speed and Murray Walker's exciting delivery is very impressive to a little kid I assure you. Since that day I've been a pure F1 fan. Ayrton Senna was my fav driver and one who really made the sport that much more attracting for me.
I absolutley love any nostalgic video footage of F1. I try to soak up as much of it as possible as it truely makes today's racing look more like a controlled parade. The risks, the guts those drivers had is very impressive.

Otherwise I'm a big basketball fan, NBA in particular. Michael Jordan was my one and only favourite. Now that he's moved on Vince Carter has taken his place.

I'm a resident of Australia hoping to get into engineering of the Mechanical or Chemical type after I finish high school. Oh yeah, I don't mind a few laps with a go-cart either!

Hoping to keep on learning all I can from all you guys and gals.

#143 Eagle104

Eagle104

• 123 posts

Posted 22 July 2000 - 16:44

paulb,
There is/was a 1/43rd of the Eagle "104" '67 Spa winner. I don't recall who put it out(SMPT?), but I still have the box somewhere around here. I'll dig. It was available in kit-form. You might also want to check at http://www.net-link....sportcollector/ or call them at 1-800-722-8630. They're near Chicago. If you talk to the owner, Paul Zimmerman, tell him Eagle104 sent you. I think he's over the fact that I out-bid him on an item that we both wanted in the Dan Gurney on-line auction.;)

Good luck and welcome aboard!

"Eagle104"

#144 Eagle104

Eagle104

• 123 posts

Posted 22 July 2000 - 17:23

Steve,
Welcome, young man! Did you know there was an Indy 500 driver who had earlier tried-out for the Chicago Bulls back in the early80s? His name is Chris Kneifel. I think he's 6'6", so naturally, he stuck out of the cockpit a-ways! After his rookie year, he developed his own chassis/car, literally 'built-around-him', called the "Primus". He still drives in sportscar competition.

Eagle104

#145 Steve

Steve

• 290 posts

Posted 24 July 2000 - 01:04

Eagle I've never heard of this bloke, but that's something you don't here about everyday is it? A potential NBA player turned sportscar driver.
As you said, his height would've given him a few problems with fitting into cars.
I love little tidbits of trivia like that.

#146 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 July 2000 - 14:37

Let's start from the top!

#147 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,965 posts

Posted 28 July 2000 - 15:32

I suppose I'd better say 'Hello' - I reckon I've spent more time reading the threads here than over in the kindergarden (That's Readers Comments to you).
My real name is Eoin O'Connell and I'm 35 years young and happily single - the 'Fred' bit comes from being born and raised on the Goon Show by my dad. Anyways, the letters F,R,E,D are nice 'n' close on the keyboard for a lazy cuss like myself. I'm originally from Cork City in Ireland but am currently exiled in Dublin helping a certain Mr. Gates clear his debts (The poor, down-on-his-luck guy) by helping all those non-english speakers among you get more use from your internet browsing (by the way, if something isn't working right - Sorry, must have missed that one!)
Can't really remember when I first got interested in motor sport - I remember my dad having a scalextric track in the attic with replicas of Hill's BRM, Gurney's Porsche, Surtees' Ferrari and Clarks' Lotus - Don't know what happened to 'em though - worth a pretty penny today no doubt. I also remember seeing some footage of Jackie Stewart at Monaco that had me totally enthralled as a kid.
Am off to Spa for the Grand Prix this year, but the dream is to get to Goodwood and Le Mans with my brother (as soon as his kids are old enough). I love nothing better than to curl up with a book on motor racing history - you can keep your glossy powder-puff biogs and mags of today's boy wonders. Right, must go - my bus awaits.

Eoin

#148 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2000 - 09:12

About myself:

Recently, Leif Snellman informed me about the Nostalgia Forum, which a friend calls "racing archaeology". Leif also made 8W known to me at . So, thank you again, Leif. After three years, both these sites have justified my decision to connect to the Internet. I had always hoped to find people who shared my interests, leisure-time historians or professionals and here they are. The few days, since I have been spending time on this BB, Ray Bell is bugging me to introduce myself and wants to know my age as well. :D

I was born ten days after Dick Seaman won the German Grand Prix, however not at the Nuerburgring but in a Berlin hospital. That makes me a dinosaur in the Nostalgia Forum with Karlcars, who was born the year Mercedes and Auto Union started to go grand prix racing together. My German is actually better than my English. When I am in Germany, speaking German, almost everyone can hear that I am from America. In America, people can detect my German accent. Does that qualify me as a cosmopolitan? They kicked me out of high school, I did not just drop out. I then became a learned auto-truck-diesel mechanic, later acquired basic license for jet engines, worked with RR engines, AMD Mirage hydraulic actuators and SA Super-Frelon and Puma helicopters. In the Sixties, I even flew once solo in a Cessna 150 E.

Besides Germany, I also lived ten very wonderful adventures years in South Africa (Jo-burg area), followed by ten cold, hard working years in flat Chicago, seven hot years in flat Florida, Tampa area, and the last ten years in Hawaii. Most probably, I will stay on these islands since all the tourists tell us how nice it is in Hawaii. Yes, I admit it is not bad here – best place I ever lived – and we do not worry about the weather either only when a hurricane is coming, then God help us, hopefully. There is a big storm coming as I write on 30 July. I am presently managing a medium-sized 16-floor condo building in the concrete jungle of Waikiki, about 15 minutes from the beach, walking Hawaiian style. Besides mechanic on cars and aircraft, I held other jobs in the auto service industry like Service Advisor, Warranty Administrator, Parts and Service Manager. I even worked as a car salesman for a short while and found out that you make most money by selling used cars. I also earned a living in Production Control and Planning in a factory, making brass fixtures. When I came to the USA in 1973, I started out for three years as Heating and Air-conditioning Technician.

I never raced but in 1963, I went around the Monza circuit in my Beetle, with a friend and our entire luggage, averaging 110 km/h the fastest of five laps. I experienced for the first time how much concentration is required to drive at the limit and almost lost it twice in the second Lesmo. I also drove around the old Nürburgring during the 50’s and 60’s. I also remember my test drive as a mechanic during the 50’s in a Porsche 550 Spyder on the Muenchen-Stuttgart Autobahn to check for sufficient power. I liked the Gullwing, a fun car, even for a mechanic, but never had the opportunity for a real go. I was disappointed about the 560SL, probably detuned for the USA. The 750iL is a super car, as I like all BMW’s. I am driving now an automatic V-6 Toyota SW, which is what the wife wanted. The two children are now grown up and practically independent.

I saw my first race 1951 at the Nürburgring when Ascari defeated Fangio. My late father brought us teenage boys in a 1947 black VW and we watched as Pietsch spun his Alfa out of the Nordkurve. The incredible engine roar, the excitement, the sweet smell of burned ether and castor oil proved irresistible. I was addicted ever since, admittedly only as a spectator. It became very exciting for me when Mercedes started to go grand prix racing in 1954. Pictures of Moss and Fangio adorned my wall. Fangio was like a god to me; still is. He was so far above everybody else. Moss came closest. I also went to Monte Carlo to see the 1963 Monaco GP. I visited annually races at Kyalami while I lived in South Africa and Road America at Elkhard Lake while I lived in Chicago. I remember the continuous bloodletting in the 50’s, Ascari, Le Mans, Castellotti, de Portago, Musso and when Collins got killed, I felt devastated. Then Jean Behra, Harry Shell and von Trips got killed also, after which I ignored racing till 1963. Thereafter I must have had a better handle on myself but the killing went on and on until Jackie Stewart started the ball rolling and racing became much safer after he initiated his safety campaign.

Because not much detail was published about the grand prix races before 1950, I early on saved books I got as presents and even bought some used prewar stuff when I could afford it in the early fifties. Not until 1983, I started seriously to collect books, enabling me to study this subject. Over the years, I have accumulated two overflowing bookcases. As I compared the various accounts of the same races, I encountered quite a bit of controversy. Sometimes I thought I was reading about two different races, which was supposed to be the same. I thought it might have been theoretically possible that some authors could have written their stories while they had breakfast in the kitchen or possibly traveling in the subway. I just could not figure out how some guys wrote the rubbish they did. Old, contemporary magazines and newspapers are the real sources, I found out too late. As the Internet grows, we hopefully get easier access to the various libraries. Anyway, untangling the contradictions in GP racing history’s early years (1895-1949), a very time-consuming job, has now become my hobby, as tedious and frustrating it is at times. I also spend time collecting data about Grands Prix & Mountain Climbs, especially the statistics. One of my goals is to re-establish my former interlinked database about early grand prix racing, if that should ever happen.

There is already a great bunch of people at the Nostalgia Forum. My hope is to meet many more bright minds, also from France, Belgium and Italy, other people who are willing to share their research and exchange information free of charge. Since I have no money, it would be a you-help-me-and-I-help-you kind of approach. I believe that I can further my knowledge, get new ideas, improve my writing and something good will come out of this.[p][Edited by Hans Etzrodt on 08-02-2000]

#149 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 31 July 2000 - 20:55

Thanks, Hans, for finally coming to meet us properly. I don't have much on that 1951 German GP, but it seems to me that it should receive the same sort of attention the British GP of that year gets... the Ferrari beating the Alfas. What I have read seems to indicate that Fangio had troubles, but do you have more, just out of curiosity.
I guess the death of Marimon hit you pretty hard, too?

#150 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 01 August 2000 - 06:25

Ray,
As far as I know there were two reasons for Fangio’s defeat at the Nürburgring in 1951. Fangio started out with one clear disadvantage. Ascari had the better circuit knowledge, since he had driven there already in 1950 whereas Fangio had to learn the circuit from scratch. NOBODY could just learn the Nürburgring in one weekend because of its 176 corners. Secondly, Fangio had a dragging clutch, which the mechanic was unable to repair after practice. Therefore, he had first gear only at the start. In the early part of the race, Ascari passed Fangio without a problem. Fangio used only 3rd and 4th during the race, changing gears without the clutch. They each made two pit stops and lost about equal time there.