Photo

Introduce yourself!

• Please log in to reply
2754 replies to this topic

#151 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 01 August 2000 - 09:44

I figured there had to be a reason... there's too much said about the Silverstone defeat for the Nurburgring one to go without comment if they were on equal terms. Thanks for that.

Advertisement

#152 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 17 August 2000 - 14:17

This is for our junior members and any lurkers. Welcome! Now introduce yourselves.

#153 David J Jones

David J Jones

• 448 posts

Posted 17 August 2000 - 19:54

I am 56 years of age

My F1 interest started in 1952 when I had some teeth extracted and as a reward for my silence I was given a Cooper Bristol dinky toy for my silence. At the time J M Hawthorn was the rage and he became my 'hero' I was resident in Hall Green, Birmingham, England, and when he joined Ferrari my obsession with that marque commenced. I have since then been an unrepentant member of the Tiffosi.
The next few years three years were all Ferrari - Ascari, Farina etc until - our local boy, Peter Collins, joined the Ferrari team in 1956 and almost won the Championship that year.
I did not attend a race meeting until 1960 when I went to Silverstone for the International Trophy meeting in May. That day I obtained the autographs of Innes Ireland, Alan Stacey and Chris Bristow and within a few weeks the latter two were killed so after that I did not bother collecting autographs.
I attended British race meetings regularly throughout the 1.5 litre formula seeing at close quarters all the stars of the Era and on into the 3 litres until 1973. Then there was a gap until 1982 when I recommenced attending British GP practice days as another local man, N Mansell, was beginning to make a name for himself.
At the same time thanks to Satellite broadcasts I became addicted to Indy (Champ) cars and US stock cars (Nascar) For a time in 1996 I worked in the US and every weekend through the summer was heaven........
I am a racing lunatic and always will be - I love Silverstone and its history and hate Brands Hatch. If the British GP has to anywhere it should be to Donnington which is its rightful home.
I am unrepentant cocncerning this and when I travelled North in my work used to detour past Donnington just to see the famous Melbourne hairpin.
I now live in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset.
My favourite European circuits are old Nurburgring, old Spa and Monza.
My top ten drivers are Nuvolari
Rosemeyer
Schumacher
Carraciola
Ascari
Fangio
Clark
Hill G
Stewart
Senna
Controversial? I can defend it!

#154 merlyn6

merlyn6

• 426 posts

Posted 18 August 2000 - 01:17

Hi All, My name is Dave Burch, I am a retired auto shop owner in Los Altos California. I am 67 years old and have been a car guy all of my life. I did a 2 year stint in the Army, '53 to '55, in Germany, ( we had a lot of car stuff going on in California, but nothing like the beer and fraulines in Germany, guess what I did for 2 years :drunk: ). In '59 I bought an Austin Healy 3000 MM, and started racing. In '64 I bought a Merlyn MK6a sports racer, then in '77 a TIGA FF. I am now involved in vintage racing with another Merlyn, and a Brabham BT29 FB car. A highlight was in '85 whem I went to Indy, and the German GP at the Nurburgring, A track I have done two 3 day schools with BMW at. The GREATEST track in the world. :eek: I have driven most of the tracks on the west coast, and went to Lime Rock and Watkins Glen a couple of years ago. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a small party in Carmel several years ago (about 25 people) where I met Dan Gurney, Jack Brabham, Dennis Hulme, Phill Hill, and several other drivers. I was absolutly over the moon. I am lucky to own a Ferrari 355 F1 (padle shift), and go out and pretend to be someone every so often :cool:. I have always been a F1 fan. I subscribe to F1, Race Car Engineereing, and Race Tech, among others. I remember clearly where I was the day Jim Clark was killed, towing to a race at Cotati, CA. He was and is my absolute hero. IF YOU CAN'T SEE YOUR WHEELS YOU AIN'T RACING

#155 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 18 August 2000 - 05:41

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who was standing upright as the Earth's crust was cooling. Yike! ouch! oooh!OOOH! Been dancing ever since.

There wasn't much going on in early 1941, so everybody knew that I had arrived.

I've been around motor sports since 1954, when as I said earlier I was given a rag and told to go shine that car. It was a Cisitalia Monoposto. As I remember, it looked a bit tatty.

As a schoolboy, in 1956-57, I wrote of Briggs Cunningham’s efforts in my school newspaper. I received a nice letter from Briggs’ wife at the time complimenting me on the article. She in turn provided me with Stirling Moss’ address while at Sebring (Harder Hall). I started an off and on correspondence with Stirling that remains to this day. I hitchhiked to Lime Rock for the first races ever held at the track and watched Carrol Shelby vanquish Cunningham's D-Jags, first in John Edgar's Maserati 300S and in the fall, in Edgar's 450S. I watched Walter Cronkite race a Lotus at Lime Rock.

In the Army in Germany, the Nurburgring 1000K, Spa were my "local," tracks. I was at Reims for Giancarlo Baghetti's first and only Grand Prix win.

In the late 70's, I worked with people like the late Harald Ertl, Deutsche Rennsport Meister, Klaus Niedzwiecz (sp), Tommy Byrne and Roberto Moreno (Back when they were in Formula Ford). I "retired," from the Army in 1980. I lived near Heidelberg, within walking distance of the Hockenheimring. Used to hang out at the Sachs Kurve. F-2 at Spa, Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft (DRM) at Hockenheim, Wunstdorf, the Nurburgring. F-1 at Hockenheim and Zandvoort. I came back to America in late 1982.

I have written for numerous publications. One that I thought would go somewhere was RACETIME, a motorsports television guide. It didn't make it though. I arranged personal appearances at my company for Lyn St. James, Scott Pruett, Tom Gloy, Willie T Ribbs, Bob Bondurant and the Roush Racing team.

In 1991, I was the impetus for two thirtieth anniversary tributes to Phil Hill. One was at the US Grand Prix in Phoenix AZ. The second was at Laguna Seca and included Denise McCluggage, Froilan Gonzalez, Stirling Moss, Skip Hudson, Juan Manuel Fangio II and The Maestro Juan Manuel Fangio, Jack Brabham, Dan Gurney and Danny Sullivan, Pete Lovely, Max Balchowsky and Tim Considine. I also went back to Germany as an instructor for the Air Force and I went to the Deutsche Turenwagen Meisterschaft (DTM) taces at Zolder and the new Nurburgring.

In America I have been a fixture at Sears Point, Laguna Seca and Long Beach.

I am currently involved in searching for advertising monies for a young (17) female Outlaw Kart racer for a 2001 Midget program and a NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series racing team.

Come visit http://www.jps.net/g...fard/index.html

The site will be moving soon but I will provide a link to where ever it goes.

You had to ask, didn't you?

Gil Bouffard

#156 Antti

Antti

• 398 posts

Posted 18 August 2000 - 07:40

Hello Everybody !

My name is Antti Hovi and I work as a programme manager in National Technology Agency of Finland. There seems to be a lot of Finns in the Atlas BB but it also seems that most of them are not intrested in Nostalgia Forum - propably the reason being that most of finnish F1 fans are from Häkkinen/Lehto/Salo era. When Keke Rosberg was in his prime he was not really a very popular figure and time after time I had to defend Formula 1. Most of the people were basically thinking that motorsports is not sport at all. Well, it has all now been changed.

Well, some words about myself. I am married, four kids. I was born in 1957 if anybody is intrestred. I have a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering - nowadays working mostly with Micro Systems Technology (MST), production systems and automation - as an initiator and financer.

My intrest in motorsports stems from the end of sixties beginning of seventies, when A Finn named Leo Kinnunen was teamed with Pedro Rodriguez in Team Porsche and they beat just about everybody. Leo Kinnunen was also the first Finn in Formuka 1 - he tried to qualify himself to couple of Grand Prix with yesteryears Surtees, but as far as I remember he never qualified. Before Rosberg there was also Mikko Kosarovitsky whose fate was just about the same. Keke Rosberg was the first Finn who ever really got anywhere. Of course the new guys from Finland have kindled the old flame again. I am not much intrested in other forms of motorsport, except ofcourse rally - being a Finn.

Cheers

Antti

#157 Antti

Antti

• 398 posts

Posted 18 August 2000 - 07:51

Ofcourse I made a mistake - my memory seems to fail me every now and then. Leo Kinnunen did qualify in one (1) GP.

Cheers

Antti

#158 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 25 September 2000 - 17:04

Quote by Dennis David:

It seems we are getting new posters to the forum every week plus I understand that we have new viewers also. What I would like to do every so often is allow everyone the opportunity to introduce themselves (reveal) as much as they feel comfortable.

It seems to me that this quote is an evergreen.

#159 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 25 September 2000 - 18:57

Hi, all:

My name is Carles Bosch and I'm usually reading/posting in this forum for the last fortnight or so.

I'm 41, born and living in Barcelona and hooked by motorsport from my childhood.

Mainly, I'm interested in F1, either present-day or the historic side.

Besides this, I'm following usually the news on the World Rally Championship, seeing live on TV most of the 500cc. bikes racing, and ChampCars races as well.

The racing history that draws my attention expands from the Silver Arrows era to the early seventies, including F1, sportscars and rallying.

When 15, began my racing experience through karting until 18 years old, then moved up to rallying and hillclimbing, starting at the wheel of a Seat/Fiat 127, then Talbot Samba Rally and finishing with a more powerful Peugeot 205-GTI 1'9 when 32 y.o. or so.

I'm single though living with my girlfriend. We both have a Suzuki Vitara 16V to share the pleasure of driving off-road and I'm the owner of a Kawasaki KLE (500 cc., trail) to have a ride occasionally, either trough mountain roads or forest tracks.

Advertisement

#160 Joris Bergsma

Joris Bergsma

• 31 posts

Posted 25 September 2000 - 19:57

Hello Don, Hello Hans, Hello David, Hello Matthijs and hello to all you F1 nutters. Sorry to say, but I am not a F1 freak, but I am Dutch and a copywriter and a carjournalist and especially crazy with the prewar heaps of rust and oil. My webfriend Hans Etzrodt sended me to this place and I am glad he did. My only visit tot a F1 event was at Zandvoort back in I think '69. It was pooring with rain and I can still remember the high-winged cars coming screaming towards me at 260/270 km/h throwing walls of water of at least 15 meters from their rearwheels. I was one of the lucky ones with a pits-ticket and in order to see things better I sat down on one of those blocksized strawbundles they used in those days for safety... So Dennis Hulme and friends passed just 2 or 3 meters from my feet. That is to say, untill an official found me and one of my ears to drag me away from all this... Every car is OK to me as long it's old. My daily is an '81 Bimmer M535i, at sundays I crank my Amilcar CGSs 1928. By the way I found this little prewar gem after a years hunt on the web. Also the Amilcar fired a terrible interest for GrandPrix racing before the war. But in a very specific area. See my topics 'benoit Falchetto'and Isadora Duncan'. My ambition on the web is to start a prewar variety on Georgano's Encyclopedia on Motorcars. I'll keep you posted.

#161 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 25 September 2000 - 20:22

Wow! Reading back through these introductions makes for some fascinating reading! What a delight to see so many people from such varied backgrounds sharing a common interest -- and ending up here. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourselves and I am delighted you are here. Please accept my thanks on the behalf on Atlas F1 to all of you -- Old & New -- for making this a truly unique place for motor racing Enthusiasts and historians.

#162 rainern

rainern

• 64 posts

Posted 25 September 2000 - 22:31

Gentlemen, and ladies.
I am Rainer Nyberg from Sweden. Born in 1962, 38yo in November. Most of my friends are already here and Mattijs of 8W discovered this for me.
I am often on Atlas but this button I didn´t try for some reason...
Anyway, earlier I concentrated on the post 1966-era...but my friends have put me on a track to the earlier years as well and now I am able to tell a Lancia D50 aprt from a Maserati 250F!
My motorsport interest is quite broad, but obsessions apart from F1, include the Le Mans 24hour race and the Indy 500. Also the Swedish Rally is on the obsession list.

Otherwise I can enjoy most four-wheelers and even three-wheelers! (refering to Reliant racing of course!)

Other fields of interest is Aviation (i work in aircraft-maintenance). Particular interest is WWII warbirds, and I have been to Midland, Texas twice to enjoy the Confederate Air Force Airsho.

Favorite sport besides motorsports is Hockey. Favorite NHL team since 1978 is the New York Rangers.

Myself I am trying to do some time on my MTB and I trying to take up golf also....

Favorite music artists are : The Refreshments, Status Quo, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Dave Edmunds, Steve Earle, Dwight Yoakam...and even the king himself....:)
In effect good old rock n roll!

Regards

Rainer Nyberg
Marsta,Sweden

#163 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,772 posts

Posted 27 September 2000 - 00:20

Well after posting my 50th post a few days ago I thought that it was about time I would add my bio so lets start.

Surprisingly enough my real name is Matt Foster. I was born in the small NE Victorian town of Corryong on 19 October 1966. That makes me 33 going on 92 :). As with most of the posters here my Dad indoctrinated me into the cult of Motor Racing. He used to race a home made hot rod at make shift track around that part of the state. As a child he would tell me stories about he and his mates built their own track and racing on it, or seeing a young Allan Moffat (whom he hates with a passion) taking on the likes of Norm Beechey and Bob Jane at Hume and Winton.

Some of my earliest memories are of watching the 1969 Bathurst 1000 and the big crash at the start and following year when the guy in the GTHO Falcon, his name escapes me at the moment rolling along the fence at Mc Phillamy Park. We moved to Melbourne in 1971 and my first race meeting I can remember was going to Calder park in late ’71 to see the great Giacomo Agostini race his AV Agusta . If I wasn’t hooked from watching racing on TV I was hooked that day. I became obsessed with anything automotive.

My Dad would take me to every race meeting that finances could afford. I hadn’t missed a Sandown 500 since 1976, usually watching from the infield on the back straight where the cars were flat out with the only protection between us and an errant car was a flimsy horse racing rail. I would infuriate my Dad who is a Holden fan by cheering for the Alfas, my favorite marque.

I got into F1 in the mid 70’s from reading race reports in car magazines. My earliest induring memory of those reports was the photo spread of the dreadful fatal accident to Roger Williamson. It was my first hint that racing was dangerous but it didn’t lessen my interest. I hadn’t missed a race on TV since Channel 9 started screening them in 1981 till this years US GP when the video didn’t work!!!!!!! Sounds like it was a great race. I have been to every Aussie GP since 1986 and I was lucky enough to go to Monza in 1984 when my parents packed us off to Italy for 3 months to check out my Mums homeland. Going to Monza was like making a pilgrimage, nothing beats the atmosphere that place has.

I love all forms of Motorsport but F1 CART and Touring Cars are the ones that keep my interest most these days.

I have owned 4 cars in my time. The first was a rusty old FIAT 128 SL(a tautology if every their was one) followed by a Alfa Romeo Alfasud ti. I traded the Alfa in for a Suzuki Vitara, like chalk and cheese those two were. Being happily married with 2 step kids since July last year I now drive a Toyota Prado 4WD and go on the occasional off road trek with the family.

My favorite driver (not necessarly the best) is Andrea de Cesaris and over the years others have been,

Gilles Villeneuve
Didier Pironi
Nelson Piquet
Colin Bond ( a great all rounder)
Jim Richards
Keke Rosberg
Riccardo Patrese
Elio de Angelis

I don’t have a current F1 favorite driver, it’s much better this way, if it’s a good race I’m always happy with the result.

I should stop this rambling and if you have read this far you are a better person that I am!

Cheers
Matt

#164 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 29 September 2000 - 11:09

I am looking without success through these pages to find a Swede, who has a wonderful Website and now lives in Finnland. :D
Also still lurking in the dark is an illustrious Spaniard from Gibraltar ;)
and a very competent grand prix detective from Ashburn, Devon in England. :)

#165 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 29 September 2000 - 21:58

I just became a member today although I am a frequent (daily) visitor to AtlasF1 and ghave been for a few years. I can't figure out why I'm a junior member though. I was born and grew up in Dublin Ireland in 1963 (which is not in Holland :). I first became interested in racing when a couple of local friends of my older brother started to do well in Formula Ford in Ireland and the UK and one went all the way to F1. I became a lap charter and commentry assistant at our only circuit, Mondello Park, and later became a flag marshall. One of my best memories is of a Euro FF2000 round where I was positioned (unusually) halfway along a lonely straight at the request of the EFDA. When the race was over I stood trackside to congratulate the wiiner and as I was the only person in the vicinity I recieved an exclusive wave and a thumbs up from one Ayrton Senna DaSilva in the yellow and black RGR Van Diemen. I watched Eddie Jordan in his dying days as a driver (Formula Atlantic) and many other drivers who went on to fame and fortune. After studying engineering, I went to work in Motorcycle racing, up to GP level and travelled to many of the track F1 visits today. I moved to the states to pursue more bike racing and eventually moved into watercraft and snowmobile racing as an administrator. I worked in Indy Lights for a while but gradually the F1 love came back and now my 20 month old son and I watch as many Speedvision F1 races as I am home for. I did attend the Australian GP in '97 but other than that have only been to test days for first hand sensual overload. Ronnie Peterson and Gilles are my favaorites of all time probably because I was an impressionable teenager when they met their fate. I can remember vividly when and where I was when the sad news came through in each case. Same for Depailler. Anyhow, I am much more excited by a F1 nostalgia forum than by some of the androids who drive today so I am looking forward to chatting some more. dennis, I did race sidecars when I was young and shifter karts more recently.

Mo

#166 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 30 September 2000 - 02:28

Hi you all!

I'm Michael Ferner from Bitburg, Germany. Some of you might know me already although I'm a complete newcomer to forum discussions. But judging from various trawls through the threads I'm sure I will enjoy it pretty much! There's actually so much interesting stuff being discussed here that I'm struggling to decide where to start with!

I was born in 1967 but feel like I'm into racing for more than 33 years already. Strangely enough I'm not interested at all in cars or motor cycles, but I am crazy for racing cars and bikes! I never raced myself except for a few hours of indoor kart and even barely enjoyed it since I'm 6 ft 7! (Maybe I should contact Chris Kneifel... ?)

My main focus right now is on chassis numbers and obscure race results, although I'm interested in everything that has to do with Grand Prix Racing. That includes all kinds of junior formulae, but not Touring Cars :down:!

My favourite period is probably the mid-seventies with the British kit car and no real superstar driver. Of course, that was also the time when I was watching races on TV as a wide-eyed little boy (which is exactly the same way I feel when I watch historic stuff these days). My interest goes way back to the very beginnings in 1895 although I have to admit that the recent years have not been so fab. But history is a wonderful thing and in ten years time I'm sure most of us will sigh for the time of the millennium change when things weren't that bad!

That's why this place is called the Nostalgia Forum... I'll see you there![p][Edited by fines on 09-30-2000]

#167 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 30 September 2000 - 04:15

Hi there Eric McLoughlin. Almost, unbelieveably, you mentioned the incident in the pheonix park where Tommy Byrne took out a lamppost. I don't know if you recal but there was flag marshall standing behind the lamppost and that was me. I have the picture to remind (signed by Tommy B.) What a small world it is. I too gew up going to the "Park" every summer and was there this year too. Although I now live in Wisconsin, I returned to Ireland because my father passed away last month. As he had taken me each year to the park I thought it poignant to take my son (20 months) to see his first car race also in the park. I will post the picture on Monday when I return to the office..

#168 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 30 September 2000 - 13:08

MattFoster... what circuits in the NE did you frequent?
Did you see my story on Bright in MRA?

#169 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,772 posts

Posted 02 October 2000 - 21:17

Ray,

I didn't frequent those tracks my Dad did, or if I did it was too young to remember. I will ask him about them when I see him next.

cheers
Matt

#170 Indy500

Indy500

• 44 posts

Posted 02 October 2000 - 21:42

My real name is Piepers Koen
I'm 31 yearls old (almost)
and i'm a racefan since the day I saw (on tv) Ronny Peterson going through woodcote (not the chicane but the real corner) on Silverstone.

Then and there I was hooked (I was just 5 or 6 at the time).

I'm to all things on 4 wheels, and a like to read about the early days of racing.

#171 Catch 22

Catch 22

• 53 posts

Posted 29 October 2000 - 19:09

So typical of me, arriving late to the party and hoping everybody hasn't already gone home. I've had Atlas F1 News designated as my browser's home page for ages, but had never checked into the forums until yesterday. Now that I've read the *entire* Chris Amon thread, I feel like I have some idea of what goes on around here, and I love it.

I'm Steve Bruun, hailing from the western suburbs of Chicago (specifically, Warrenville). "Catch 22" refers to my favorite book of all time, Joseph Heller's great WWII satire. My race cars have always been blue (the color of the book's cover) and my race number has always been 22, with "Catch 22" lettered somewhere on the rear bodywork (along with a decal of the Hesketh teddy bear mascot since my family nickname has been "Bear" for as long as I can remember). I currently drive a blue 1990 Miata with two broad silver stripes down the middle, although I gave up racing it a couple of years back. I've also got a Jeep Grand Cherokee for when the weather's bad (which is all too often the case in these parts). Happily married (Jacque, also a huge F1 fan, lucky me), no kids, three cats (Bob, Karma, and Woof).

I'm a native of California, born in San Diego on August 21, 1951, and first got into Formula One reading Road & Track magazine in 1962, Graham Hill's first championship year in the beautiful BRM P57. I sincerely regret not having discovered it a year earlier so I'd have some memories of my good friend Phil Hill's championship season. My earliest heroes were Jimmy Clark and Dan Gurney. I won my first important rallye (driving a blue MGB, #22 of course) on the day that Clark was killed. I remember getting home happily waving the trophy when my mom came out to meet me in the driveway and told me the terrible news. I was fortunate enough to finally meet Gurney at Indianapolis last month and about dropped to my knees to kiss the great one's feet. He is a very nice man, indeed, and was kind enough to sign a t-shirt I have commemorating his 1967 win at Spa in the Eagle-Weslake. I don't chase after autographs as a rule, but his was the exception!

Although I lived very near the place while Formula One was making annual visits to Long Beach, I never attended the race, reasoning that lack of decent sight lines at a street circuit would spoil the experience. My first F1 race in person was Spa '93 (Damon's second win, with Prost, Senna, and Michael Andretti among the field). It was heaven! The sound of the Lamborghini V-12 in the Larrouse cars will remain with me always. I've also attended races at Silverstone ('95, Johnny's first win as I cheered him on wearing the Johnny Herbert Fan Club t-shirt I'd purchased from his mum the day before), Monza ('98, a Ferrari one-two and one of the most exciting spectacles one could possibly imagine), Montreal (three times), and Indianapolis. My biggest regret is probably that I never saw Ronnie Peterson drive in person (I'm of mostly Swedish heritage). The images most firmly etched into my memory are of Lorenzo Bandini's fatal crash at Monaco in 1967, sad to say. I visited Monte Carlo in 1998 and said a silent prayer for him at the site.

Before that, I saw every one of the races at Laguna Seca in the original Can-Am series from the bottom of the corkscrew (and a number of the F5000 events as well). I've also spent happy days at Road America eating bratwurst and watching the CART races since moving to this area in 1985, and attended the innaugural Chicago CART event last year (the only major race on an oval track I've ever seen in person, and quite likely the last). I'm no fan of NASCAR, but do tune in to watch them for laughs whenever they visit Sears Point or Watkins Glen.

My background is in psychology (Ph.D. from the University of California, San Diego in 1982). I was a college professor in New Hampshire for three years after that, and then took up an engineering career with AT&T Bell Labs (now Lucent Technologies) in 1985. I'm now an independent corporate training consultant, but would like to move back into the academic world very soon. I also spent a number of years on hiatus from school during my undergraduate days as a professional FM radio disk jockey, which explains my other passion, rock 'n' roll (especially '50s/'60s stuff). I do a lot of music programming in my spare time. I'm currently working on a 160-hour series documenting the history of popular music in the U.S. from the late '40s through the early '70s. I've also got a closet full of Tamiya 1/20th-scale F1 kits waiting for my retirement.

A lot more than you wanted to know, no doubt, but once I got started, it was hard to know what to leave out. Thanks for listening![p][Edited by Catch 22 on 10-29-2000]

#172 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 29 October 2000 - 21:57

No actually it was not more than I wanted to know! Welcome aboard. We were probably standing next to each other at Laguna Seca during many a Can-Am.

#173 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,854 posts

Posted 29 October 2000 - 22:50

Right; my name is there for all to see, no pseudonyms.
I've been a race fan since 1957. I have collected model racing cars since that time, and since 1960 I have been a slot race fan. Nowadays I build my own cars; my website has already been mentioned by Brent from N.Z. but for anyone interested it's at http://www.bboor.freeserve.co.uk
During 1971 and 1972 I was part of the very small team of ambitious lunatics who built the Connew F1 car. Peter Connew is my cousin and the story of that failed venture is around in various places for all to see.
I am married to a Welsh-speaking Welsh lady named Heather and I can now converse in Welsh at a fairly basic level. Nowadays I am back teaching, working in the castle town of Caernarfon in North West Wales. I don't go racing often these days, (too expensive and far away) although I do get to the Coys Festival most years.
I still enjoy F1 racing, (it's in the blood) but I must be honest and say not as much as I used to. My all-time hero is Dan Gurney, and I usually refer to myself as his #1 British fan. (see story on Retro Racing.)
Since Dan retired, I have no real favourites; indeed, I would love to see every race won by a different driver.
As with many of us, I am a frustrated racer and like racing sims, especially Legends, which I can't do very well, and GP2 which I can. I mostly enjoy downloading old carsets and racing on old tracks.
I only discovered Atlas 2 weeks ago, and cannot believe I existed without it for so long.

#174 Catch 22

Catch 22

• 53 posts

Posted 29 October 2000 - 23:24

My thanks to Dennis David for his cordial welcome, and I in turn would like to welcome Barry to the fold. I read the Connew story a couple of months back and loved every word of it. I would have given my eye teeth to have been involved in an enterprise such as that. Like so many among us, I grew up wanting to drive in F1, but I'd reached 6'4" by the age of 16 and knew it wasn't to be, so I stuck to sports cars and had a great time all the same. Even that could be a challenge: The Bugeye Sprite in which I made my debut was not designed with me in mind, but by installing the smallest steering wheel we could find, I managed despite the fact that my knees and elbows were constantly on more intimate terms than was optimal. People often tell me how much they'd like to be tall like me and are surprised when I told them how much happier I'd have been at 5'9" or so. On the other hand, it is useful for race watching since I don't have to struggle for a spot at the fence!

- Catch 22 (Steve Bruun, seb1190@worldnet.att.net)

#175 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 30 October 2000 - 14:40

Steve Bruun
A psychologist huh? Perhaps you could help some of us regarding our obsessions?

#176 Catch 22

Catch 22

• 53 posts

Posted 30 October 2000 - 15:06

Barry Lake -

If only I could, but I've been addicted to this racin' stuff since long before I got my degree! If I were of Freudian bent, I could have an awful lot of fun with the phallic implications of the cars, especially the mid-60's beauties I love so much, but I'm not, so I'll leave the couch vacant...

#177 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 30 October 2000 - 16:10

Barry, I've been racing slot cars since the 60's and it is still my favorite hobby. That reminds me I haven't raced in a couple of months. Time to dust off the cars and go for a spin.

#178 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 30 October 2000 - 16:20

Dennis
Should we change the name of this thread to "confessions" or perhaps "therapy"?

#179 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 30 October 2000 - 20:15

Yeah, Steve, 5 feet 9 would be really great! As mentioned before I'm also slightly "larger than life" and had my boyhood dreams crushed before I could even start thinking about how I could find the money to go racing :cry:!

Advertisement

#180 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 30 October 2000 - 20:22

I was the right size -- 5' 7" -- but no talent to speak of...

Again, reading through this thread is quite an eye-opener at the talent assemled here on the Forum.

#181 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 03 November 2000 - 14:03

I saw the BT12 yesterday, Offy in place... definitely phallic, even if it was a rusty chassis with no body...

#182 ZippyD

ZippyD

• 583 posts

Posted 03 November 2000 - 15:01

Matt, welcome to another former Fiat 128 owner. It was the only car that could actually scared the bejesus out ot of my good friend Keir. What a blast of a car!!!

#183 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,772 posts

Posted 05 November 2000 - 23:20

Yep ZippyD driving my old 128 was definately an "experience"

Cheers
Matt

#184 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 06 November 2000 - 00:10

At least they did something right when they put the power unit into the X19... but inside the things the main bearing caps weren't even dowelled, I was told... pretty skimpy!

#185 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 06 November 2000 - 23:12

I've just discovered this thread, and as with others, am amazed at what you all give to us all. I'm also pretty new to AtlasF1, and have had to extend my internet plan 'cos I'm spending so much time trying to keep up with so many interesting threads.

My name is John Shepherd, born in England in 1935 (for those who couldn't be bothered to count in the'How old are you?' thread). Seem to have been become a car nut at around 2 years of age. Discovered racing cars at about 12years or so from my father's books on "Bira" and the pre-war Mercedes.

Got to see, hear, and smell, the real thing in the late '40s at Goodwood, 'Bira', Parnell, de Graffenreid in 4CLT Maseratis, Oscas etc.

Discovered DSJ, 'Jenks' in Feb'53 and never missed an issue of MS (or hardly ever, as the song goes) till he was displaced, or whatever happened. Freely admit to being in step with most of his views and loved the style. The compatibility was endorsed by being at events he reported on, because my sense of the flavour of what had gone on seemed to be echoed his reports.

In the middle '50s I could afford to get to one or two events per year, and so saw a quite a bit of Moss, Hawthorn, Collins etc, not forgetting Fangio. Continued to spectate in England until the 1976, when I emigrated to Canada. Saw Clark, Gurney, Surtees, Hill G and P, Stewart, Rindt, Brabham, Hulme, Peterson, and ...oh my, the list won't stop. But I better include Amon on account of the non-stop thread...

Drove an Alvis TA14, Porsche 356SC, Fiat 128 (which somehow got into this thread, but it was great fun - loved the way it would tuck itself into a corner when you lifted off after a too-fast entry) and Lancia Fulvia (1.6) amongst others whilst in the in the UK. The 356 made me a Porsche maniac. Saw the Porsche maniacs, Siffert and Rodrigues in the awe-inspiring 917s. Oh my, oh my.

In Canada, managed to take in a GP at Mosport (Lauda sliding off on marbles deposited by an errant driver, RATS!) and HAD to go to Montreal (from Western Canada) to see Gilles (the DSJ influence) in 1980 and 81. The scrap (right word?) between Gilles and Jonesey Boy, and the drive in the wet when the Ferrari nose-cone first wrapped itself backwards over the front, and then fell off. He was faster when it fell off, 'cos then he could see which way the track went.

Was at Detroit when Senna won, but didn't get to see much of the skills. Awful viewing, so disappointing. Made me remember my day at Goodwood in 1957 (see the Moss thread for more. Not wishing to self-promote, but that's an attempt to show something of how things were in the '50s).

All the while earning a living as a scientist of sorts.

Disability keeps me a TV follower of F1 and CART. Good stuff there. I loved to know what really went on with Zanardi and the Williams team- just keeping my fingers crossed that Montoya doesn't get crushed there, 'tho he's got too much talent for that, hasn't he? )

Again, thanks to you all for giving so much pleasure and sharing so much knowledge.

#186 Yves

Yves

• 183 posts

Posted 07 November 2000 - 09:09

Being a junior member let me introduce myself to your virtual community !
Seems to be young for this forum : I share my age with a famous "compatriote", Jean Todt !
I live near Paris and work in computer.
Fall in motor racing around 1960 and my prefered heroes are Fangio, Moss, Clark. In the recent period, I prefer Mika and Alesi to Michael. But I recently "discover" older legends and I'm currently very interested by everything concerning Tazio Nuvolari.
But I have been always more interested by technic.
Living not far from LeMans, I have the nostalgia of the great period of sports car when the "monstruous" MKII's and Shelby's came to Ferrari : great years !

Y.

#187 RehsperW

RehsperW

• 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2000 - 14:15

I'm still here...kind of. I haven't been around much lately. College has a way of taking up most of my time.
Check out Penn State Formula SAE at: http://www2.me.psu.edu/sae/FSAE/

Car nut, that's me. First race attended was an SVRA weekend at the Glen in '86. I was five. Oh how I wish I hadn't been so interested in silly bottlecaps at the time. I missed some great cars.

I suppose I'm more of a car fan than a racing fan. I think that comes from my experiences at vintage events. Occasionally there are some good dices, but the real show is usually in the pits. I love to see cars of all ages and look at how they are built, how each system works, and why it works. When I first became interested in F1 racing I loved to read about the drivers, but increasingly I've become interested in the designers/builders.

I drive a Volvo 240. It's the best car in the world IMO. There's something about British cars that attracts me. I want to own a Turner someday. Ultimate dream car is a Ferrari 166 Barchetta. If I had enough money, I'm afraid I'd own way too many cars than any man should.

Later,

#188 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2000 - 16:32

Hi to you all

I am Rob Ryder from Teesside, England. I was born in 1951, so that means my half century next March.

I am a Network and Database Administrator for an American oil company (Phillips Petroleum) and have been since 1986. My ambition is to retire 2 years from now and devote all of my time to F1 on the net!

I can not remember how I came across TNF, but I have been an avid reader since February of this year. In May I actually registered and summoned up the courage to post my first message. I still read a lot more than I post, maybe I have an inferiority complex, what with all of the F1 gurus that frequent TNF?

I am interested in most aspects of motor sport, but my passion is F1, and mainly the 70's. This was the time before all of the cars looked the same except for the colour, when there was a chance for the enthusiastic amateur (hello again Barry Boor), and Uncle Bernie did not rule the world. I feel sad for those youngsters that were not there - age has it's benefits.

I remember watching F1 on TV in the mid to late 60's, at that time I was going to clubbies at my local circuit, Croft. My first GP was the British in 1969 at Silverstone - 4 wheel drives for the first time, and Stewart vs Rindt. After that I was completely hooked on 'live' F1 and attended EVERY F1 race in Britain up until 1980, I only wish I had kept the programmes (weep).

By the 1980's I was annoyed that the spectators (fans) were being kept at arms length, the drivers were disappearing into motor homes, and access to the cars was minimal. I did try a GP again in 1982, but nothing had changed, so I became an 'armchair enthusiast'.

My prize possessions? A full set of Motor Sport magazines (I just love DSJ) from 1968 to 1989 inclusive. Autosport annuals from 1969 to 1976 inclusive. Oh yes, and my wife....

My passion (and project in life) at the moment is collecting F1 images, and I am hoping to have at least one image of every car at every race in the World Championship (since 1950). At the moment the count is around 10,000 images, so if any of you have images of the less well known drivers and cars from the 50'a and 60's please let me know. I may also be able to help anyone looking for images to illustrate threads/websites. Again, just let me know.

Well that's who am I am and what I am about...

Regards

Rob

#189 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 09 November 2000 - 07:43

Someone in Melbourne... Barry Oliver, I think it is... has been keeping AGP programmes. He has every one except the 1935 event, and has been in that position for a few years. If he can get the 1935 programme he will get a sponsor to put up a display that can be shown at motor shows, race meetings and so on.
One family has the one he wants, but won't let him even borrow it with acknowledgements...!
Nevertheless, that's a lot less than your project... must be fascinating, and there's probably one or two around here already you can pick up on.

#190 Vasco

Vasco

• 61 posts

Posted 30 November 2000 - 00:43

Hi everybody :D
I think I'll have to introduce myself too...

My name is Vasco Santos, I'm 29 and Portuguese (and not Spaniard, it's not the same ;) ).
I was born in Tomar, a cute little town in the center of the country.
After spending (wasting!!) 18 years of my youth in France, near Paris, I returned to my roots and have been living in my home village and working for Mitsubishi (free publicity)since 1994.

Besides motorsport, as nearly every Portuguese, I very much enjoy football (the real one, not that FOOTball you americans play with HANDS, what a joke :lol: ).
I am a strong supporter of F.C. Porto and fan of the topical best player of the World: Luis Figo (the Michael Schumacher of football :) ). Also enjoy Mountain Bike and Tennis.

But I diverge...how did I became an motor racing addicted? Well, I never had any special interest in cars as a kid in France, I even have a distant memory of turning off the TV while watching Jacques Laffitte's Ligier at Monaco in the late 70's! What a crime!!!
But all changed when I moved back home (I mean to Portugal) from the age of 12 to 16. In those days my village -Martinchel- had the visit every year of the Portuguese Rally, it was the penultimate SS of the event between 1982 and 1987.
So there I was watching for the first time Michele Mouton, Walter Rohrl, Hannu Mikkola and other champions going past just in front of my house(!!). That show outclassed anything I had ever seen before!!!! They were unbelievably quick!!!
From then on I've become a really addicted to Motorsport, with a slight preference for Rally, altough I am a fan of circuit racing too, mainly because there is a richer history to investigate.

But what I am really hooked on are circuits, mainly the old, tough, technical ones. The ones I can only remember by the books and old films.
Something I do regret is not having been born in time to see real racing in Nurburgring (Nordschleife), Old Spa, Montjuich, the Targa Florio, etc, etc....
So now I visit those places whenever I can.

My personal heroes are:

Ari Vatanen :up: (his win in Monte Carlo '85 is still strongly in my memory as the most impressive peformance ever I've witnessed)
Gilles Villeneuve
Tazio Nuovolari
Stirling Moss

Present favorites:

Jacques Villeneuve
Jean Alesi (it's constant suffering Sunday after Sunday :( )
André Couto (great victory in one of the few remaining great circuits: Macau :up: )
Marcus Gronholm
Didier Auriol
Adruzílio Lopes

Many thanks to Darren who told about me about this matchless forum.

#191 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 30 November 2000 - 01:14

That's all right, we'll get even with Darren later... oh, and welcome to another non-English speaker. You'll find the odd Brazilian around who uses your mother tongue.

#192 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 01 December 2000 - 02:31

Hello everyone.
My name is Carlos Pani, I´m a 27 year old mexican lawyer/frustrated M.D./soon to be a father racing fan.

I work in a mexican horizontal internet potal, located at http://www.alo.com Here, I started a project called 300kph, which is a motor racing channel, primarily focusing on Formula One and CART. Later I moved up, and became the Legal and Business Affairs director.

I enjoy alomost every kind of motor racing, specially the abovementioned cetegories and WSC.

It´s an honor for me to participate in this forum, specially because of the highly knowledgeable members participating in it. I often recurr to ther websites for info and history facts.

Although I´m a big racing fan, my problem radicates in my age; you see I´m too young to have the memories and expertise of other fellow posters, and I´m too old to clearly remember the minimal facts that I could have witnessed whwn my father took me to the Mexican Grand Prix´s, so I hope to catch up with you guys in some time.

Anyway, my friend Rolando recomended this forum, so , here I am willing to share experiences and discussions (healthy ones, of course) with everybody.

Ah, I almost forgot...BIG PORSCHE FAN!!!!!!
Best regards,
cjpani

#193 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 01 December 2000 - 03:12

Shame they don't make any big Porsches, isn't it?
Welcome along and share what you can. Even if it's just to say you really enjoyed reading or learning something.

#194 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 01 December 2000 - 22:31

Thanks for the welcome Ray.
As for the "big" Porsches, let´s hope the new Carrera GT with the huge 10 cylinder engine sees light; and better yet, Le Mans...
Best regards,
cjpani

#195 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 December 2000 - 15:47

Deep breath....
I was born in NZ around the time WW2 was ending, but have been resident in the UK for the past 15 years or so.
I was a car nut from the age of 5 and caught the racing bug on a visit to the 1959 NZ Grand Prix at Ardmore when, overnight, my interest switched from Morris Minors and Chevy Bel Airs to 250F Maseratis and Cooper-Climaxes, and especially to the drivers. I followed GP racing as closely as one could on the other side of the world until the F1 scene started changing about 1968, and am now content with watching GPs on TV.
My first job was in the office of the NZ Rootes and Chrysler importers but I then switched to journalism, mainly on radio and television. In my spare time I did race reports for NZ magazines and also occasional race commentaries (radio/TV/circuit).
Next came a spell as owner/publisher/editor of what was then the only NZ motoring magazine on general sale, but five years of that was enough for anyone, and in 1985 I set off for Blighty to make my fame and fortune. I’m still waiting. My intention was to earn a living from writing about racing history and historic racing, and the goal has come close to being achieved a few times. But magazines come and go, or change hands, and book publishers sell out, and I have now had to swallow my pride and get a Proper Job (a management position in a publishing company).
I’ve become pretty closely tied up with the historic racing scene here, and get to most of the big European meetings each year, as well as smaller UK ones.
As far as my own driving career is concerned, I somehow never got around to doing more than club rallies and hillclimbs, but I was able to try a few single-seaters on the track over the years. I also treasure the memory of being driven around racing circuits at speed in such gems as pre-war Alfa Romeos, D-type Jaguars, a Birdcage Maserati, a Ford GT40 and a Can-Am McLaren M6B (arrghhh!!!)
In my first flash of enthusiasm I absorbed all there was to read about Grand Prix racing, and now find myself more fascinated by events of which comparatively little has been published, such as national racing in obscure countries (Hi, Fines!) I have also been a chassis-number freak for 40 years - and you can pick up a lot of information in that time!

#196 Alvega

Alvega

• 150 posts

Posted 03 December 2000 - 16:48

Here it goes,

My name is Jorge, I'm Portuguese, 39 year old, married, with one daughter. I live in Lisbon but presently i'm working abroad, at Cabo Verde.

I'm hooked to cars and motoracing since I was a child. Every time I could I would attend any form of live autoracing going around in Portugal. This passion for cars and machines in general later would determine my option to studie mechanucal engineering.

My preference goes to F1 racing, wich I try to follow as closely as I can. I'm also interested in racing history (especially the 60's) and of course everything that as to do with car technologie.

Being away from home prevents me to have acess to my (rather unimpressive) archives, so I excuse me in advance for any inacuracy that may appear in my posts.

BTW, I'm really impressed with the quality of the posts that I've seen in this BB, specially in this Nostalgia Forum.

Congratulations to Don Capps and to you all that usually post here for a job well done !

#197 TonyKaye

TonyKaye

• 172 posts

Posted 03 December 2000 - 17:40

Hans Etzrodt introduced me to TNF a few months ago and since then I've taken part in a couple of threads. The first race meeting I attended was the 1954 British Grand Prix, but it isn't the only race I've seen. I have some racing magazines and books and a number of videos. I can't claim that my racing exploits were a huge success, though I do hold the lap record at Spa. I live in Connecticut and the hope that overtaking will return to F1. That's about it, pretty dull really.

#198 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 03 December 2000 - 20:49

Lap record at Spa? Enlighten us, Tony!

#199 luislega

luislega

• 0 posts

Posted 12 December 2000 - 20:20

Hello. I'm Luis Legarreta. I'm a 23 year old racing fan from Mexico City. I had the chance to go to the late Mexican GP at the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez racetrack and have been a Ferrari fan since then so you might imagine the joy I felt when M. Schumacher finnaly made my dream come true this season. I had been born when Sheckter won it, but was too young to even remember.

I think there's much to learn in these forums. I'm young but eager to do that.

Advertisement

#200 TonyKaye

TonyKaye

• 172 posts

Posted 12 December 2000 - 23:29

Michael, my attempts at racing were an almost complete disaster, so please don't take my lap record at Spa away from me. It happened in 1984 when I entered my sprint car in a vintage event at Spa. Since no other identical cars have raced at Spa since that day, I maintain that I hold the all-time lap record for "blue pre-war American sprint cars with the number 67 in gold with a red outline". Of course it is just possible that this racing category is not officially recognized by the world's governing body. But I don't care about that!