Photo

Introduce yourself!

• Please log in to reply
2754 replies to this topic

#2651 lcbulldog

lcbulldog

• 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 23:48

I made my first posts today, but have been reading the forum for over a year now. It's amazing how much info is shared and who some of the posters are. I have been around sports car racing all of my life. My Dad was a track steward for the CSRA in the '40s and somehow got interested in sports cars in the early '50s. My first memories are of attending a hillclimb at age 3 in Ohio and a race at Lockbourne AFB when I was 5 or 6. We moved to NM in the '50s and Dad and I worked a lot of SCCA races in the SW out of the PanAm Region. Raced SCCA in the SW division out of Houston in the '80s. Anyway, I think the forum is great and it brings back loads of great memories. I look forward to making some worthwhile contributions
Mark

Advertisement

#2652 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:25

You're not alone in being tardy, Mark...

Glenn Moulds did his first post just over a decade after he joined. Maybe we should convince him to post on this thread too?

#2653 Arese

Arese

• 403 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 15:48

It took me 18 months since I registered to send my first post - hopefully not too long to introduce myself. My name is Michael Schrock, I am German and I have been interested in motor sport as long as I can think back - and that is for more than 50 years now. It did help a little that I lived - and still live - rather close to the Nürburgring. The late sixties and early seventies were "my" great time in watching races there. I do not have a large archive of pictures that I took myself, but a friend of mine did so and I am very fortunate to have his permission to post these images. So probably I am going to start a thread with a few b/w pictures from his archive.

Edited by Arese, 08 December 2011 - 10:27.

#2654 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,684 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 19:32

Welcome to TNF Michael, I look forward to seeing your thread on the 'ring, I was there in 1976 for the GP, unfortunately I did not own a camera at the time :|

MFG

Edited by arttidesco, 12 September 2011 - 19:39.

#2655 Arese

Arese

• 403 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:06

Welcome to TNF Michael, I look forward to seeing your thread on the 'ring, I was there in 1976 for the GP, unfortunately I did not own a camera at the time :|

MFG

Thank you. As you certainly know the 1976 Grand Prix made history; Niki Lauda's crash turned it into the last F1 race on the Nordschleife. I found that even those people who had a camera at that time (or earlier) were taking pictures sparingly.

#2656 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:45

Like the arty one, I look forward to that thread...

Has it been started yet?

#2657 Arese

Arese

• 403 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:56

Like the arty one, I look forward to that thread...

Has it been started yet?

No, it has not yet been started. Maybe I'll begin with a teaser pic and then wait for fall or winter. :)

Seriously, it will be probably after the Goodwood Revival.

#2658 Fangio36

Fangio36

• 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:44

Hi, my name is Henk and i am living in Belgium. My nickname is Fangio, because I love everything about Fangio. Not the 'old' Fangio, but his nephew FangioII. So if there are members who have more about Juan FangioII, i like to know. My interests are all motorsports, but CART is my big hobby. I also have some F1 memorabilia, lots of posters and photo's. In about a year i have my own room for all my stuff.

#2659 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,056 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 23:51

My name is Ian Peters

I live in Adelaide, Australia and probably should have stayed out of motorsport as I have a namesake in Queensland who I have never met but have surely caused some confusion to over the last 30 years. I think Ive got discounts at some of the suppliers that he has earned so it worked out OK for me.

My racing career started with hill climbs and sprints in various Lotus in the late 70s. I thought single seaters would be fun and providence came my way in 1981 when I went a car auction where they were selling a Bowin F3 car miss-advertised as a "Brown F3" It was truly awful with the typical coats of matt black over everything and lagged in metallic purple and various peoples "enhancements". What was luminous was the quality of the construction underneath. The solid riveted tub was a joy and I bought it without further research. After speaking to John Joyce, the constructor, I found this was the first Bowin and had been driven by a gentleman called Glyn Scott. I didn't know him as he had died 11 years before when I was 10. He was a guy who enjoyed a Gold Star career in his later life surrounded by the young up and comers. I spent the next few years getting it clean and running and ran it in the new historic group O with a twin cam engine instead of the original FVA which, as a young man, I could never hope to own.

Welcome to TNF Ian,the "Brown F3" brings back memories,i was at a late 1970's car auction ,the Car dealer had gone bankrupt or closed for some reason,at the back of Parramatta(Sydney) and one of the lots was listed as "Racing Car needing assembly"(or something like that).The Engine(in bits) & body work was at another location so no one knew what the car was or the type of engine other than it wasn't a V or FF.Anyway to cut a long story short no one bid so my friend and i purchased it on spec for $1500(?) and if we had a trailer could have taken it then & there but when we turned up the next day it was gone & a refund cheque left for us. I always wondered what it was,possibly a F5000 of some kind,and what would have happened if we had picked it up that day.

Advertisement

#2660 petersracing

petersracing

• 29 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 00:14

Welcome to TNF Ian,the "Brown F3" brings back memories,i was at a late 1970's car auction ,the Car dealer had gone bankrupt or closed for some reason,at the back of Parramatta(Sydney) and one of the lots was listed as "Racing Car needing assembly"(or something like that).The Engine(in bits) & body work was at another location so no one knew what the car was or the type of engine other than it wasn't a V or FF.Anyway to cut a long story short no one bid so my friend and i purchased it on spec for $1500(?) and if we had a trailer could have taken it then & there but when we turned up the next day it was gone & a refund cheque left for us. I always wondered what it was,possibly a F5000 of some kind,and what would have happened if we had picked it up that day.

Yes I guess many wonderful toys have suffered that fate. I was also offered a Lotus Elite in the late 70s that the guy claimed(as they all do) to have been the Le Mans famous WUU2. He was a right clown and delighted in red lining it cold in the tin garage with no exhaust on so we left in a hurry. Should have grabbed that one!!

#2661 nick105

nick105

• 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 13:08

Hi, I'm Nick from the UK. i've been reading this forum for a few years. My interests are motor racing history, current historic racing and motorsport photography.

#2662 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,060 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 17:49

Hi, I'm Nick from the UK. i've been reading this forum for a few years. My interests are motor racing history, current historic racing and motorsport photography.

Hi Nick, looking forward to your contributions. You don't have to have a signature like mine to post on the forum

#2663 Clave

Clave

• 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 15:56

Hello, my name is Bill and I am a long-time aviation and F1 fan.

I like drawing aircraft and cars, and it has become a sort of hobby/business sideline...

Um, don't know what else to say at the moment, so I'll just put a picture here...

Posted Image

#2664 uffen

uffen

• 907 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 16:51

Welcome, Bill. Lovely work. Can you show us more?

#2665 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 629 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 17:06

Hello, my name is Bill and I am a long-time aviation and F1 fan.

I like drawing aircraft and cars, and it has become a sort of hobby/business sideline...

Um, don't know what else to say at the moment, so I'll just put a picture here...

Posted Image

Handsome!. That should be on the 'What Should An F1 Car Look Like' thread!. :up:

#2666 jon1977

jon1977

• 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 19:38

Hello, my name is Jon. Been reading these forums for over a year, finally decided to take the plunge and join

Regards

Jon

#2667 WhatOh

WhatOh

• 95 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 22:44

Hello

My name is Agni. I used to watch motor racing when I was a kid (in the 80s and 90s) because of my older brother and stopped once he left home. After watching Senna I decided to start following it again. My have n't things changed?

Toodles
A

#2668 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:22

Hi,

I'm Murray from New Zealand and I've looked in on a few discussions here but thought it was time to say a formal "good evening ladies and gentlemen" (in dulcet tones).

Grew up in Tauranga as the original Baypark track was built the same year Denny Hulme, from 30 something miles down the road, won the World Drivers Championship. I was, and still am, HOOKED.

The big V8 saloons of 68-73 and the corresponding F5000 singleseaters and especially Graham McRae, held me for a while before it was time to find my own outlet - on two wheels. Racing, officiating and organizing/promoting motorcycle racing consumed my early 80s. Then as the classic car racing scene gathered momentum around 2000 I became interested in the cars and drivers of my youth.

I'm a TV/media cameramen freelancer, sometimes director, producer, a big slice of my work is in motorsport television. My longer term goals are to work (play?) more and more in historics.

Anyone interested can check out a few historic motorsport clips on my YouTube channel such as a short compile of the loud and aggressive Audi Quattros in the 1985 Rally of New Zealand, one of the first things I shot on a video camera as an amateur. 1985 Rally New Zeland or some Historic Musclecars at the NZ Festival of Motor Racing a few days ago. HMCs at NZ Festival of Motor Racing 2012

I look forward to following (and eventually contributing to) some of the great stories that unfold at this forum.

Edited by Muz Bee, 27 January 2012 - 07:29.

#2669 RangerCarrot

RangerCarrot

• 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:27

Hello there

New to the forums, and thought here is a good place as any to have my first post. I'm Chris, 31, married with a 2 year old son, I am UK born & bred, and I am a borderline Formula 1 nut. I say borderline, because I'm not one for being able to remember every tiny detail of the wonderful sport, but I love watching the races on the tv and, for the last 2 and a half years, been compiling my own F1 "scrapbook". Initially this was something to help me learn about the history of F1, to appreciate the talent behind the names I'd only heard about (Ascari, Clark, Moss, Fangio etc, the list is well known on this forum I suspect), but I also wanted to learn as much as I could about those that were good, but for whatever reason, didn't make it to be great, either through driving bad cars, bad luck or their death. Would love to put what I have on a website, but alas I wouldn't really know where to begin.

I've been into formula 1 since the early 90s, it was more of a passive interest back then (I was still at school at the time), but really got into it in the late 90s and now a day doesn't go by when I change something in my little scrapbook, or go news hunting etc.

Look forward to nattering to hopefully a number of you on these here forums :)

#2670 jethrolenny

jethrolenny

• 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:52

Hi There
My names Geoff and having been lurking around the forum for a while. Thanks to the moderators for authorising so that I can post.
Was basically introduced to motor racing by some of my work colleagues when as a 16 year old they took me to the Tasman meeting at Warwick Farm in early 1968 when I saw the likes of Jim Clark and Jack Brabham. We went to a few more Warwick farm meetings and then as we got our licences ventured further afield to Oran Park and eventually Amaroo Park. The difference between Warwick Farm and the long wait betweeen races and the rapid fire Oran park was a revelation. During this time also attended a number of Oran Park night meetings. The work mates gradually drifted away into other jobs and I developed an interest in club motor sport doing motorkanas with a Renault 12 and lapdashes and hillclimbs with a very ordinary Morris Cooper S. During this time I was also training as scrutineer but never pursued this very far. I also starting taking photos during this period

From the mid 1970s to early 1980s some might say that I went to the other side as I crewed on speedway sedans that were racing at Liverpool City Raceway " The Place of Pace".
These were heady times and and saw the development of "chassis cars" which ultimately morphed into the Grand National Sedans ( now called Late Model Sedans) with american imported chassis from suppliers such as Howe. These were busy times with the demands of racing every Saturday night during the season.
The early 1980s also saw a return to crewing on road race cars by crewing on a Capri and attending Bathurst and Sandown.
The mid to late 1980s saw a reduction is involvement as changes of career and children occurred. The notable exception was attending the first Nascar meeting at Calder where the Grand Nationals supported the Nascars. We attended one other Calder meeting ( a Saturday afternoon meeting from memory) but a relatively low speed crash by another competitor saw the end of the Grand nationals going to Calder

The early 1990s saw a change of direction as one of my old speedway mates asked what he should do and I joking said why not go HQ racing and a week later he went and bought a HQ shell from the wreckers and we built one. The learning curve from a speedway car with bulk HP on tap to a HQ with its limited horse power was very high. The highlights of the HQs were probably the Bathurst trips as support to the touring cars at the February meeting and the HQ nationals at Bathurst as a support to the Bathurst 1000.
After the HQ came a commodore saloon car but as these never took off in NSW, these days it runs as an improved production car.

Over the years my interest in historic racing has grown and in 2010 I attended the Bruce McLaren festival in New Zealand was blown away by the Hampton Downs circuit and the NZ F5000s

if this is too long I apologise but its a bit of a nostalgic trip of over 40 years interest in motor sport in Australia. I am in the process of scanning and sorting photos and hope to be able to contribute some to these forums.

#2671 kombiracer

kombiracer

• 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:08

RL name is Chris Fraser. My real interest in motorsport started in my late teens. Before that I may have had only a passing interest in what was then known as the SATCC. I did a little bracket drag racing in a 1974 2 litre kombi with a pair of weber carbs. Then started to do a few hillclimbs and supersprints, mainly at Huntley. Had to go faster so fitted a turbo and injection. Eventually figured there was a limit to a kombis handling and fitted the running gear to a VW fastback. Unfortunately with a quickshift with about an inch throw I became quite brutal with the clutch and blew 2 gearboxes in 2 trips. At this point I was a father at uni and just didnt have a racing budget so it got parted out. in 1994 I crewed for Peter McLeod at the Bathurst 12 Hour and the 1000.

Early on in this lofty career I got involved in the officialdom side of things. My involvement in motorsport now consists of (life) committee member of Wollongong Sporting Car Club, the secretary and event organiser of Huntley Hillclimbs and an annual supersprint for Club VW at Wakefield. I'm still more or less only interested in grass roots motorsport though I do watch the AGP and V8Supercars reasonably regularly.

#2672 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 20:57

I'll throw out a welcome mate to you new blokes...

Those who remember Warwick Farm are always welcome, those who might not have seen it really do need the comfort, solace and memories of others who did.

So please join in on the conversations, whether you were there or not. Ask questions or tell us what you did see, it's all the same, it brings out the good stuff.

#2673 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,271 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:18

Hi everyone, I'm keen on all motorpsort, particularly from a historical point of view, my many, many well worn, well read copies of Motorsport suggest as such, much to the Mrs disbelief that I can re-read articles over and over...

I have been hooked since my first visit to Silverstone (aged 5) to see the Jag's take on the 635's in the ETCC in 1984... it ripped down but didin't dampen my enthusiasm!

I'm lucky to be in an ideal location in the UK in that Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Donington, Rockingham and Snetterton are all within 1.5 hours, so hoping to attend many meetings this year as I have in the past, thanks for the opportunity to break the ice!

#2674 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 23:52

Welcome DampMongoose ( do you fight cobras in the wet or something :eek: ),

My dad also took me to Silverstone when I was 5 or 6 and motor sport has played a very big part in my life ever since . Your profile doesn't say where you are based but I'd guess Herts or Bucks given your proximity to various circuits ?

Cheers

Chris

#2675 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,271 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:52

Welcome DampMongoose ( do you fight cobras in the wet or something :eek: ),

My dad also took me to Silverstone when I was 5 or 6 and motor sport has played a very big part in my life ever since . Your profile doesn't say where you are based but I'd guess Herts or Bucks given your proximity to various circuits ?

Cheers

Chris

As a teaser I live in BRM's home town... an easy one for the chaps on here! Ideal location for a Motorsport fan really...

#2676 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 13:20

Bourne eh, miles away from where I thought then !! :)

#2677 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,199 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 13:43

Bourne eh, miles away from where I thought then !! :)

If you've ever been to Bourne, it's miles away from almost everywhere, and in more than just distance.

#2678 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,271 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 15:36

Depends on the time of day, it took us one and a half early in the morning for the Masters Historic last year but it was very quiet both on the road and at Brands surprisingly... it took three and a half for the BTCC finale the other year but 1 and a half was from 3 miles away :well: 2 hours would be normal, A1 A1M depends on Dartford tbh...

Bourne's ok, we are having another blast with the old cars through town again this year for the anniversary... it was awesome last time but I think 'Elf and Safety may clamp down on the opposite lock in the town square this time round, bit hairy with the streets lined with people but oh so cool ;)

Edited by DampMongoose, 26 February 2012 - 15:38.

#2679 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,271 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 18:02

I like your signature, I suppose taken from Richard Williams' book.

If you ask Sir Stirling he will tell you exactly the opposite: "Pescara? It was a blast!!"

Many thanks, yes,along with Moss, Tony Brooks thought the road circuits like Spa, Pescara and Rheims were 'proper' racing also, a good book that I thought... his Enzo Ferrari book was pretty good also!

Advertisement

#2680 nicanary

nicanary

• 451 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 15:44

Just got on-line with the forum today - great to get prompt and well-informed replies to my posts.

I'm Andy - my username refers to my residence in N.Ireland and my birthplace in Norwich. I'm a bit of an oldie now (b 1950) and only got a laptop recently so all typing will be two-finger jobs.(There's a joke there somewhere).Been following the sport since a babe, watching Sat afternoons (racing, trials, autotests) and Wed nights (GP, Monte etc), all in black-and-white. First meeting was 1963 Lombank Trophy at Snetterton, and then aged 14 I was allowed to cycle alone to the track - 18 miles took 1.5 hours.

Found my first copy of Motor Sport in the detention-room cupboard (1958 German GP ed) and DSJ was from then my idol.Been reading it since. Nostalgia means my favourite era is the 50s and early 60s, until sponsorship took hold and subsequently the mess we're in today. I stiil watch the GPs but often Fast-forward if I'm bored. I have all-channel satellite but the racing just doesn't do it for me (Motors TV, Eurosport, ITV4) , it's all one -make stuff and the commentators just are't Raymond Baxter.

All rose-tinted spectacles syndrome I suppose.My ever-increasing collection of books (honestly,dear, they're an investment) is heavily biased towards 50s sports-cars and real road-racing.And I'm sure you all watch the "Gentelman's Diary" DVDs - what a bargain! I have a habit of jumping in with enthusiasm when somrthing interests me without collecting my thoughts or collating information, so please bear with me if you see my username on a post. I've been very involved in a certain thread on another site (10/10ths) all about "life after BCE" and my yearning for the past has sometimes got the better of me. I really,really hate what's happened to the sport, but I fear it's all too late.

#2681 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,707 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 22:38

Welcome, Andy. Your mini-biog rings many bells with me, similarly crusty to you in vintage - black and white television, Raymond Baxter, Grandstand, Sportsview/Peter Dimmock etc. I look forward to reading more of your recollections.

#2682 Missyb

Missyb

• 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 20:16

Thought I'd put a bit in here!

I'm Rebecca, and I live in Norwich. I'm 27 and have been fed F1 since a very young age (I went to my first F1 race aged 5!) - my Dad also works in the industry which I'm sure has cemented a life long love.

I'm mainly interested in historic racing, especially the 70's and 80's (Unfortunately I don't remember anything of the late 80's, only the 90's!) but love watching any era. My favourite drivers are Gilles Villeneuve, Alain Prost (two very different drivers I know!), Peterson and Clark. I rarely miss a "present day" race, but I feel it all rather processional and clinical now.

Pleased to meet you all!

#2683 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:50

Welcome to you both, I'm sure your contributions will be well received...

Right now you're probably wondering what you can contribute, but even questions are a contribution at times.

#2684 homenetuk

homenetuk

• 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 14:43

I will open my introduction to the Autosport Forum as “about time”, as anyone that knows me will be well aware of my passion for things mechanical, and motorsport!

I’m Paul a 60’s child and have many memorable moments that have shaped my live.

Seeing, the take-off of the Concorde (got a photo to prove I was there!) at Filton Airfield.
Remembering, the Vulcan test bed flying over my house with the Rolls Royce Olympus engine in its bomb bay, its cover painted blue.
Remembering, the Birmingham Superprix and amazed by the whale tail Sierra Cosworth with flames coming out of the exhaust.
Watching, the Nissan Skyline, on late night TV, romp home in Australian racing until they were banned.
Lamenting, the last time I would here a V12 engine in Formula one (Silverstone a mix of V0 and V12), (and now V8’s after the first round 2012 at Albert Park)
Being blown away, by the Renault Espace F1, going round Silverstone.
Being at start line post (marshalling) witnessing Nigel Greensall in the wet, testing then in the race smashing the outright lap record at Castle Combe averaging 130mph on the lap.
Being gobsmacked by the driver smashing seven bells out of the wing with a sledge hammer, of his 1950’s Ferrari so he could continue racing after it was red flagged!
As you can see I have many memories, and hope it warrants as an introduction of sorts.

#2685 kls

kls

• 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 16:26

Hello

My name is Martin (Marcin) Kolondra, I am Polish live an work in Switzerland, My cousin is a big motorsport fan and he infected me with motorsport passion, I worked for his racing business for 2 years I loved it but in this hard economic times I had to turn to other things for the money :( but I remind a motorsport fan for life.have a look at the website http://kumiegaracingclub.com/ we were racing aston martin, porshes 996 and other we are passionate about motorsport and the history of it.
I am happy to join your forum , please forgive my English it is not my mother tounge\ but I try.
I am a fan of nostalgia forum we love the real old stories
btw we did a recreation of 126 group 2 and we finished monte carlo historique in 2008!!!

Martin

#2686 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,042 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 18:05

Welcome Martin: you, and a large number of our friends here, may not have English as your mother tongue but you do a lot better than most of us English could if we had to write in Polish - or even Italian and Spanish, never mind Hungarian!

#2687 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 18:57

Ha! You should try Danish

#2688 Ristin

Ristin

• 38 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 16:43

Hello everyone,

for several years I have regularly browsed this forum. I have been amazed by the wealth of knowledge represented here (and the willingness to share it) and I find it one of the most enjoyable places on this strange planet called world-wide-web. So I thought it was finally time to register because now and then I felt I might be able to contribute something,

I live in good old Europe and my main interest is sidecars, but also bikes and automobiles. Love spectacular drivers/ riders like Florian and Gilles.

Please forgive any mistakes, english is not my native language.

Ristin

#2689 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 22:59

You've done better than a native so far, Ristin...

Good to see you get posting!

#2690 TrevorMiller

TrevorMiller

• 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:18

Hi Racers,

I am Trevor and I like racing. And I just want to share some thoughts here. I am fairly new to online communication. So if you see a post of someone who might sound a bit old fashioned, that's probably me.

See you.
Trevor

#2691 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:05

Welcome to the Forum Trevor

#2692 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,060 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:05

Hi Racers,

I am Trevor and I like racing. And I just want to share some thoughts here. I am fairly new to online communication. So if you see a post of someone who might sound a bit old fashioned, that's probably me.

See you.
Trevor

Trevor, welcome to the forum - it looks like you'll fit in fine!

#2693 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 23:17

Hello fellow racers, vintage racing historians, restorers, et al,

I learned about the forum from Chuck Brandt who has done a remarkable job researching the Cooper Fords aka "King Cobras" run by Shelby American in 1963-64. I own one of the six cars built and raced by SAI during this period, CM5-64 (the Bondurant car).

Recently I was able to extend Chuck's research on several of the cars (mine included) as they passed through the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association events of the late 1960s up through the mid 1970s. I hope to be able to contribute more to the research efforts in the future.

Best to all,

Donn Vickrey
Carlsbad, CA

#2694 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:22

Welcome, Donn... I'd have to say that the 'King Cobra' should be a pretty exciting car to own!

Maybe you should start a thread and tell of your adventures?

#2695 wolseley680

wolseley680

• 77 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:23

Hello,

My name is John Gray and I have followed motor sport over many of my 66 years. My competition was limited to club stuff in my Mk1 Sprite, no circuit racing but I have spectated at Lakeside and Surfers, Warwick Farm, Bathurst and Oran Park, Calder, Sandown, Phillip Island and Albert Park. I have also seen a few Historic hillclimbs at Lakelands, Templestowe and Tarrengower. I don't go to car races anymore, just the GP and Superbikes at the Island plus an odd Historic event (like Winton). Undoubtedly the driver that stands out for me was Clark although I thought Rindt in qualifying at Warwick Farm was astounding, he was seconds under the lap record. My favourite cars were the two Ferraris, the 250LM and the P4 and I was there the day the P4 did 181mph down Conrod. I went to a few F5000 races but my interest in open wheelers waned after the 2.5 litre cars - and Touring cars went the same way after the Geoghegan/Beechey/Mckeown/Manton/Foley days. I have kept most of the programmes and a few photos which I will post as time allows. My wife and I have three daughters and seven grandchildren and time will tell whether any become a petrolhead - I will need help soon with my Sprite and Wolseley. My interests, apart from family and old cars are the development of the internal combustion engine in cars and aircraft, military history and the first 50yrs of aircraft development. Technology of the last 50yrs amazes and confuses me, my computer is a good example.

#2696 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,042 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 17:36

Welcome John.
Sounds like you're like a lot of us here so you should fit in well!

#2697 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 140 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 20:07

Been posting on here for years without ever having the decency to introduce myself.

Phillip, 38, live SW London, inherited an interest in motorsport from my father (a Jim Clark fan) and have followed it all my life, although interest flagged somewhat in my teens and twenties, and is still variable. He (my father) is a fine mechanic, whereas I'm an ignoramus. Guess this is fairly typical of my generation.

First attended a race meeting in June 1982, AMOC Silverstone, and have generally stuck to historics in the years since. Find watching somewhat less of a sensory delight these days I must say, what with silencing, safety, big transporters, propped-up bootlids, etc. Also attended a few GP practice sessions in the 80s and the odd bit of WSC, or whatever they call it. Group C. Went to Le Mans once, on a very rainy press trip. 2000-ish?

Would love to race but as a graphic designer for a book publisher am not overburdened with spare cash. Still – I occasionally ponder the viability of an old FF or other low-end single-seater.

#2698 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 140 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 20:10

PS I drive a Morris Minor Traveller. With disc brakes from a Morris Marina. Considering twin carbs.

#2699 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:10

No Datsun 1200 engine and 5-speed box?

They fit in easily, weigh less, but I guess you know that...

Welcome to your next posts, anyway.

And John, I'm sure we've crossed paths at some time in our lives, we've been a lot of the same places at the same time!

Advertisement

#2700 ChrisRiv

ChrisRiv

• 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 14:18

Hi my name is Chris Rivett and I have been lurking here for a long time before finally taking the plunge and registering. I was brought up near to Castle Combe and used to cycle to all of the meetings that I could get to. I eventually started marshalling and spent many years on the banks all over the country and abroad for European GP's. An opportunity arose to acquire a Mallock that I sprinted and hill climbed before before being persuaded by my son to sell and get a Formula Ford 1600. Little did I realise that said son would eventually compete quite successfully himself and win the Castle Combe FF1600 championship!! A real dad 'n lad effort....The squeezed middle has restricted my competitive outings of late but the car is safely stored ready for a comeback at some stage....Looking forward to some friendly banter here on TNF, and I may even get to Mallory Park some Wednesday morning......

Edited by ChrisRiv, 30 October 2012 - 14:19.