Introduce yourself!

• Please log in to reply
2755 replies to this topic

#2701 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 320 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:37

Good Day!

I joined almost 2 years ago, but I had never done an Introduce Yourself until I wrote what's below for another forum several months ago. Anyway, my Gearhead CV is:

As a kid, I watched eventual 2-time Indy winner Gordon Johncock drive supermodifieds at my hometown track before he got to the big time. Other notables at the time were Dick Good, Gordon Dukes and Johnny White who was to become the ROTY at IMS a few weeks before a career-ending sprint car crash. The ’73 USAC Sprint Car Champion was from my home town and our local track was a frequent stop for USAC (still is). Watched the Gary and Larry Show many times, along with Pancho, Tom Biegelow, Bill Puterbaugh and others. I saw George Follmer in the '72 Porsche 917-10 battle Dark Monohue in the ’73 Porsche 917-30/KL at the ’73 Mid-Ohio Can-Am. Saw Thunder on the Maumee with unlimited hydroplanes in ’73 followed by the Formula 1 hydroplanes. I was at the first Michigan 500 at MIS in ’81 when they tried to burn down the pits. Camel GT Series at Charlotte in ’85 and Columbus in ’86 and ’87. Watched John Paul Jr. in a Conte Bros. March Buick turbo T-Bone Bob Akin in a 962 at Charlotte. Scary Stuff. I stood next to Geoff Brabham as he was strapping into the Nissan GTP ZX-T at Columbus. Amazing standing next to a 1,000hp engine idling like a VW Beetle. Saw all of the F-1 and CART races run in downtown Detroit around the Renaissance Center. The Turbo Era in F-1 was AMAZING. Saw Harry Gant pass Brad Teague on the next to the last lap for the Busch win at Darlington ’87. Saw Mel Kenyon flip a midget at the now defunct Santa Fe Speedway (’89 I think). Saw all 3 of Mark Martin’s wins at The Glen. Saw Mike Skinner win the first NCTS race at the ’95 Copper World Classic. Other winners were midgets-Dan Drinan, Silver Crown-Mike Bliss, Southwest Tour-Ron Hornaday and supermodified-Davey Hamilton. WoO at Syracuse in ’95 (Steve Kinser). Saw Max Papis in ’96 come from nearly a lap down to win the Watking Glen 6-Hour in Dr. Moretti’s 333-SP. GREAT sounding car!! CART at Long Beach in ’01. Saw The Cruzer at Ventura in ’02. All Feature card at Irwindale in ’03. Sad that it is now closed; Very Good venue. SuperDirt Week at Syracuse '95, '02 and '03. Saw JJ Yeley win Silver Crown races at Syracuse in ’02 and ’03. Saw Scott Dixon’s and Justin Wilson’s wins at The Glen. Unfortunately not a lot recently as I have been working outside of the country mostly from ’04 to ’11. So far, the only events that I have not witnessed in person are motorcycle racing (any kind: flat track, Moto GP, motocross), drag racing, airplane racing. This is only because I haven't gotten around to it yet. I also used to help a friend take care of his pavement Modified. Sadly, he's passed away now.

Folks that I have been fortunate to meet: Emerson Fittipaldi, John Watson, Dan Gurney, Sir Jack Brabham, Tommy Kendall, Ove Anderson, Phil Hill, Lyn St, James, Rick Mears, Willy T. Ribbs, Bobby and Al Unser, Sr., George Follmer, Derek Bell, Tony AtoZ, Oscar Koveleski, Parnelli Jones, Bobby Rahal, Sam Posey, Vic Elford, Johnny Rutherford; (all of whom have autographed various books of mine), Robin Miller, Ken Tyrrell, Scott Goodyear, Doc Bundy and Larry Nuber (we shared the same home town).

Other:
Willow Springs Vintage weekend, '04
MANY Vintage weekends at Watkins Glen
Oval and road course Vintage event at Loudon, '05
Monterey Historics, '05 and '07
Lewis Hamilton & Tony Stewart at Watkins Glen, 2011

Driving Schools:
Legends Cars – Tioga Speedway
Stock Cars – Petty Driving Experience – Walt Disney World Speedway
Pavement Modifieds – Ken Bouchard’s Drive To Victory Lane – Thompson Speedway

Personal Cars:
2-cyl, 4-cyl, 5-cyl, 6-cyl; all manual: 4-sp, 5-sp, 6-sp
Highlights: 1972 Honda 600 Coupe, 1970 Lotus Elan +2S, 2009 factory John Cooper Works MINI Clubman

Gearhead? Maybe a little bit…

Edited by flatlander48, 31 December 2012 - 14:40.

Advertisement

#2702 radomer

radomer

• 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 22:37

I am Apolo from Greece. 22 years old. I love F1 and I love f1 photos as well. I have a massive archive of large dimension photos (only) with high resolution. I hope one day they will be more free because copyrights don't let us share them :( My favortei driver is Ayrton Senna. Today's favorite is Sebastian Vettel but I am objective. I prefer to see good races than my favorite drivers winning. I hope Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen, Alonso run in equal cars :) I also hope that F1 does't become like wrc :(

#2703 Wilbo

Wilbo

• 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:45

Hi..

FINALLY I can post.. it took several weeks, yes weeks to be approved for posting.. I actually gave up then I got the email saying I was approved..

I'm a longtime automotive racing fan from near Vancouver, BC Canada. I love vintage racing cars from the 1930s up to current times.. I'm really into the period between the late 1920s to 1970s..

Got a wife and two small kids that keep me busy, almost too busy to be on here. lmao.. I'm almost 43.. yikes.. lol

here's my last project that I created out of a base Revell Auto Union Type C racecar from the 1937 Avus race..I added the wheel spats from the land speed racer as I thought it looked more proper.

Oh yeah, I collect tons of 1:18 scale diecast and resin race cars but I have to be more selective now..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Wilbo, 31 January 2013 - 02:46.

#2704 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:52

Good Grief! With an eye like that you should come over and build my special for me!

Welcome to the forum-we Vancouverites are a quiet but selective bunch :D

#2705 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 419 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:11

Good Grief! With an eye like that you should come over and build my special for me!

Merv isn't quite so quiet after 5 o/clock in the evening is he ?

#2706 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 18:12

Whenever I see Merv he has a broad smile on his face and is carrying something interesting!
Maybe Vancouverites are not so quiet!

#2707 Wilbo

Wilbo

• 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 00:21

Thanks for the compliment.. It was actually a very simple mod.. Just unscrew the main screws on each of the chassis, unscrew the wheel spat and install on the avus racer. Then rescrew both chassis. Then pull up steering wheel to pop into the slot (before screwing chassis back, place end of steering rod into axle bracket of course.)

Love it.. Darn thing is so big though, it dwarfs my other cars in the case..

#2708 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,064 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 16:41

Love it.. Darn thing is so big though, it dwarfs my other cars in the case..

go on then and work at 12"=1' scale!

#2709 kym

kym

• 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:23

Hello,

My name is Kym Pedler. I've lurked here for many years, and finally have scanned my slides from the 70's. Unfortunately, there is only a minority that I can accurately date. Almost all from South Australia (Adelaide International Raceway), with a few from Phillip Island. Apologies for the dust spots, off colours, sloping horizons and poor panning, but it is as good as I can get them after three scanner upgrades over the years.
Should eventually be pics of cars mentioned in Oz related topics - Birrana, Elfin, Nimbus, ASP, Gardos.

Now into classic minis.

Kym

#2710 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:06

Look forward to seeing some of those slides, Kym...

From the late seventies at AIR I should be able to pick at least some of them. Any of Scotty in the Vee? Or the Elfin F2?

Or maybe one of Mark Blyfield in the Lola T332?

#2711 verto

verto

• 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:31

Hi All.

My name is Richard. I grew up in central and southern Africa and had a passion for motor sport from an early age. Still to this day I have vivid memories of XK Jags doing things I'm sure they weren't designed for on dirt tracks. I regularly spectated at race tracks in South Africa including the Kyalami Grand Prix for many years. We all make a few mistakes in our lives, one of the biggest I made being to throw out my "slides" of race meetings from late sixties to mid-seventies. Jody Scheckter drifting his blue R8 Gordini, Mike Hailwood standing on Clay Reggazoni's smashed car trying to pull him out of it whilst it was on fire etc etc. Yep, a very poor decision when I now realise the worth of them to others like myself who spend hours trying to uncover past histories.

In the mid-seventies I moved to Australia and one of the first sporting events that I encountered was Bathurst. Wow! Didn't see it live, but sat glued to the tele all day as tintops were my favourite and remained so until the advent of V8 Supecars in which I have zero interest. I still atttend historic races whenever possible, along with my son who pedals a Group C Mini.

Unfortunately budget constraints and family/work commitments prevented me from participating in motor sport, however I have managed to get on the track a bit over the past few years scaring the hell out of a few people with my Lotus Exige. Past the age of needing to "win", instead just enjoying the moment!

My greatest passion has always been tintops, with a particular emphasis on the old Cooper S's as these were making their mark when I was a teenager. Their noise, handling and character were just so special at the time. I never forgot this passion and in the early nineties I became re-aquainted with the marque, coincidentally through my son and his mates who surprisingly just loved Mini's. To cut a long story short, this got out of hand to the point where we presently have four in our stable, but I hate to think how many we have acquired, restored to concourse standard and moved on. A great hobby and excellent way to stay connected with the now "not so young buck".

I have been lurking on this site for some time and may I say it is very well managed with meaningful and very respectful contributions. A credit to you all.

Cheers
Richard

#2712 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:35

I can share your pain with those slides, Richard...

I didn't throw mine out, but a great many of mine were destroyed by the carelessness of my first wife.

Welcome to the forum... and where do you live?

#2713 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,729 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:38

I echo Ray's welcome, Richard. Your sad story of your transparencies' demise will strike a chord with many on here. In my case I didn't throw them out, but only wish I knew then what I know now and concentrated more on the 'also-rans' - and wish I could have afforded more film!

#2714 verto

verto

• 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:46

Thanks guys for the welcome.

Ray, I've lived on the Sunshine Coast for almost twenty years. A bit remote from race tracks other than Lakeside, but hopefully the "planned" complex south of Brisbane comes to fruition.

The part that irks me the most about disposing of my slides was that I nursed them until just a couple of years ago. Then had a big clean up which included turfing out all the family albums as well. Consulted the kids but no-one seemed interested so out they went! Probably hear more about that in years to come.

Spent hours on the Nostalgia forum again today. Gee it's a great source of information.

Cheers
Richard

#2715 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,040 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:05

Welcome Verto...although Borg and Beck might have been a better choice :)

#2716 ianbuddery

ianbuddery

• 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 22:12

Hi All,

Ian here from Sydney, Australia. Whilst I've had an Autosport login for some time, I was unaware of TNF until I recently saw it mentioned in old car article and discovered what a great source of interesting and informative comment it is, so here I am, casting off my lurking cloak. :)

I've been campaigning a 1983 Lola T700 Indy car in Australian Historic racing since 2010, having bought the car (and a Penske PC10 and March 701, both very much projects) at a Monterey auction in 2008. The perils of mixing alcohol and classic car auctions!

Info on the Lola is at www.LolaT700.com

I managed to eventually extract myself from the Penske and March, but I loved the Lola - however the lure of something new called, so I sold it and now have a March86C, on a ship arriving in a few weeks. Another peril they don't warn you about - historic motorsport is extremely addictive!

I'm an Indy car fan and know my way around the Cosworth DFX / Hewland VG500 combination, which itself has been an enjoyable learning experience. In Australia, we are fortunate to be able to run Indy cars in Group R, against F1 and Formula Atlantic cars in the main. I enjoy tussling with the F1 guys, not so much the FA's, who tend to be too agressive for my taste and often appear to have non-functioning rear view mirrors. I'm hoping the new March will enable me to keep them well behind!

A photo here of my last outing in the Lola, at the Phillip Island Classic a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I had a fading fuel pump and thus couldn't pull more than 8000rpm, which made me quite slow and wasn't good for the car, so I retired after the 2nd race on the Saturday.

Cheers, Ian
https://dl.dropboxus.....13 resize.jpg

Edited by ianbuddery, 12 April 2013 - 03:30.

#2717 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,289 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 18:31

Welcome, Ian. Have a seat. Light your pipe and regale us with your stories. :)

#2718 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,040 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:38

Hi All,

Ian here from Sydney, Australia. Whilst I've had an Autosport login for some time, I was unaware of TNF until I recently saw it mentioned in old car article and discovered what a great source of interesting and informative comment it is, so here I am, casting off my lurking cloak. :)

I've been campaigning a 1983 Lola T700 Indy car in Australian Historic racing since 2010, having bought the car (and a Penske PC10 and March 701, both very much projects) at a Monterey auction in 2008. The perils of mixing alcohol and classic car auctions!

Info on the Lola is at www.LolaT700.com

I managed to eventually extract myself from the Penske and March, but I loved the Lola - however the lure of something new called, so I sold it and now have a March86C, on a ship arriving in a few weeks. Another peril they don't warn you about - historic motorsport is extremely addictive!

I'm an Indy car fan and know my way around the Cosworth DFX / Hewland VG500 combination, which itself has been an enjoyable learning experience. In Australia, we are fortunate to be able to run Indy cars in Group R, against F1 and Formula Atlantic cars in the main. I enjoy tussling with the F1 guys, not so much the FA's, who tend to be too agressive for my taste and often appear to have non-functioning rear view mirrors. I'm hoping the new March will enable me to keep them well behind!

A photo here of my last outing in the Lola, at the Phillip Island Classic a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I had a fading fuel pump and thus couldn't pull more than 8000rpm, which made me quite slow and wasn't good for the car, so I retired after the 2nd race on the Saturday.

Cheers, Ian
https://dl.dropboxus.....13 resize.jpg

Welcome Ian...good to see you here...you are amongst friends (Rob is Lola5000)...look forward to your words. Cheers, Mick

PS how did that gearbox welding hold up in the Lola :)

#2719 ianbuddery

ianbuddery

• 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 21:49

Welcome Ian...good to see you here...you are amongst friends (Rob is Lola5000)...look forward to your words. Cheers, Mick

PS how did that gearbox welding hold up in the Lola :)

Thanks Mick. Cant recall any gbox welding, feel free to remind me!

The last major work was sleeving and machining the rear uprights, which had the bearing mounts misaligned from new and caused the bearings to fail rapidly. At $1500 each x 4 that was never much fun.

Advertisement

#2720 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,040 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:17

Thanks Mick. Cant recall any gbox welding, feel free to remind me!

The last major work was sleeving and machining the rear uprights, which had the bearing mounts misaligned from new and caused the bearings to fail rapidly. At $1500 each x 4 that was never much fun.

Ian...I am the one that needs reminding :blush: it was a main bearing carrier/web in the DFX...

Posted Image

also found something that may interest you on TNF....Cheers

http://forums.autosp...w...&hl=buddery

#2721 ianbuddery

ianbuddery

• 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:19

Ian...I am the one that needs reminding :blush: it was a main bearing carrier/web in the DFX...

I hasten to add that that motor is NOT in the Lola, it is very a much a "spare of last resort". :)

#2722 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,040 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:29

I hasten to add that that motor is NOT in the Lola, it is very a much a "spare of last resort". :)

Lets hope the only resort you have to use is Port Douglas :)

#2723 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 303 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:31

Hi All,

#2724 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 303 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:35

Ian,

I have only just noticed this post and was interested to hear of your acquisition of the March.  Its nice to keep track of F1 cars arriving down under and I would be interested to hear a bit more about the car   --  chassis number, history etc.  It sounds like you have enough projects to keep you busy for a while!!

regards

Paul H

#2725 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 22:25

Originally posted by 275GTB-4

.....also found something that may interest you on TNF....Cheers

http://forums.autosp...w...&hl=buddery

Well done, Mick!

And a belated welcome to Ian from me, I certainly hope I get to see some of your very interesting cars some day...

#2726 llarson

llarson

• 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 16:36

Good Morning, name is Larry Larson, home is McMinnville Oregon. I retired in Feb. after 44 yrs. as a machinist, and the last half of that also doing millwright work in a sawmill. My auto and racing interest I guess dates back to one of my first words, mother said it was 'car'. I've been a part of a variety of racing efforts [fairly local] since about age 16, and my interest is more in the construction and maintenance aspect, rather than driving. Left turn racing is O.K., but I find road course and off road more demanding and interesting. Sawmills do a lot of maintenance on weekends, which means I've been pretty much taken away from auto sports for some time, perhaps now I can get a little more involved again. Just found this forum, I see a lot of interesting discussion here, thanks.

#2727 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,239 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:50

Good Morning, name is Larry Larson, home is McMinnville Oregon. I retired in Feb. after 44 yrs. as a machinist, and the last half of that also doing millwright work in a sawmill. My auto and racing interest I guess dates back to one of my first words, mother said it was 'car'. I've been a part of a variety of racing efforts [fairly local] since about age 16, and my interest is more in the construction and maintenance aspect, rather than driving. Left turn racing is O.K., but I find road course and off road more demanding and interesting. Sawmills do a lot of maintenance on weekends, which means I've been pretty much taken away from auto sports for some time, perhaps now I can get a little more involved again. Just found this forum, I see a lot of interesting discussion here, thanks.

Welcome aboard, Larry.  Do you know Steve Walker?  He is in Amity, Oregon.  He has some nice BMW race cars, plus the Willis Wonder, a pre-war BMW 315 special.  He won his race at Monterey this year.  Hope to meet you at an historic race next year ?

Vince H., Victoria, BC, Canada

#2728 bazzagp

bazzagp

• 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:08

hi,another petrolhead,interested in all forms of motorsport from special saloons,rallycross,f1 and moto gp :p

#2729 tracken

tracken

• 32 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 00:57

Aha! this isn't that hard

hello to everyone I am ken Moore from Australia, Born 1955 the year of the chico roll and rock & roll. Been involved in motor sport from the middle 60's, my stepfather John Hughes [Merrick] raced bikes on track and dirt before the war and then midgets in speedway in the 60's  then historic racing in the 70's. this wasn't my reason but it helped to get a lift.   I have owned and raced F vee, Historics, Clubmans,I have been lucky to have worked with some facinating people and shared their memories, Ken Franciss, he had the twincam Waggott motor in a timber hydroplane Australian Champion, Jim Downie, raced a MG TB and with Lynne Archer a cooper bobtail with a porche in the rear, then and a nissan bluebird at Bathurst, Jim was a indiginus boy from the north coast NSW, Robin Orlando, what can I say, the greatest man I ever Knew, a genius and a true friend, there is more to this man than anyone could know its a shame his mind was wandering after his wife died, he built a DOHC head for the fowler MG and supercharged it with a 3 "su, Bill reynolds clock a time in 1958 at bathurst down con rod straight that would be the fastest top speed ever recorded by a open MG T series. and ther are more, now I am content to rebuild a Datsun Sr311,   the cars that started the fall of the British sports car. In 1985 in sports car world I wrote "everything is sweeter the second time around"

Edited by tracken, 06 March 2014 - 01:46.

#2730 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:08

Nice to see you here, Ken...

We all remember John Merrick, of course, and his hideaway near Lithgow too. Keep the posts coming!

#2731 tcsparky

tcsparky

• 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 16:24

Hello, I'm Tim Cassidy. My user name is a combination of my initials and an odd nickname I got will working for a company which wrote software. I was born in Detroit in 1952 and lived there until 1992. I still program but I'm now based in Denver.  

Growing up in the Motor City exposed me to all things automotive. Just about everyone I knew was in some sort of auto related business. My interest in motorsport started in 1963. I had subscriptions to Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines. One of them had a column written by Smoky Yunick. In the months before Indy that year, he wrote of theupcoming battle between the Offenhauser teams the factory Ford effort with Lotus. A name which kept popping up was Jimmy Clark. That Memorial Day, my family was, as was usual, camping along with rest of their camping club. On that day, a radio was broadcasting the 500. My father was first class mechanic, but never saw any value in auto racing, but many of his friends were Indy fans. That day before the race started, one of my dad's friends asked me, who I thought would win. I said Jimmy Clark. He asked me if I meant Jimmy Bryant? At any rate, by the end of the race thay all knew about Jimmy Clark. I'll never forget hearing the news when crashed in 1968 at the F2 race in Germany. It didn't seem real. My hero gone. I continued to follow auto racing mostly though Road and Track and the occasional ABC Wide World of Sports. After the BBC started broadcasting F1 races, I was able to watch same day coverage after 11pm thanks to the local CBC affiliate CKLW, based right across the Detroit River in Windsor Ontario. I was able to watch years of Murray Walker with the later addition of James Hunt.

Besides my professional side of computer programming, I've play bass guitar in number of bands and still do today in the Denver area. There is a mention in the current thread on Detroit which has some posters commenting on the local Detroit group, the MC5. I played more than a few time time with some of the "5" along other local Detroit musicains.

last year as a special birthday gift, my wife got us tickets and accomidations for the Indy 500. I was able to spend almost two week there. An amazing experience. 

#2732 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,782 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:42

Wellcome Sparky......nice story about Jimmy Clark - you sure knew how to pick 'em. :wave:

#2733 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 574 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 19:49

Okay, I should be Lotus56B...but I mistyped when I made my name (look at the numeric keypad..)

I've taken this handle, because when, at the age of 6, I was taken to the British Racing Drivers Championship race at Silverstone, on the  8th of May 1971.  The roar of the F1 and F5000 cars scared the heck out of me, I could feel the ground shake as the cars went past - the whisper of the the Lotus Pratt and Whitney gas turbine was just eerie - I couldn't understand why all the other cars were so loud.  It was the last F1 race that Graham Hill won...27 years later I saw Damon Hill win at Spa...the last F1 race that he won... 

I have to thank my Dad, who took me to this first race so my older brother could watch the FA cup without interruptions,and then to many others at Oulton Park, Donnington, Mallory Park - none of which would see F1 cars today, mores the pity - for my obsession - I just hope I can get to see a race again with him.

#2734 TheRumbleStrip

TheRumbleStrip

• 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 19:01

Michael, The Rumble Strip.

F1 is go, go, go.

I have followed F1 ever since 1986, although it is a regret that it took me until 2004, at Silverstone, to see my first race live and am now left wondering as to how to take my interest in the sport that one step further.

The challenge of man and machine against fellow competitors, together with ever changing regulations and technologies, in the quest for victory, is one that has enthralled and excited the many fans of F1, ever since the inception of the World Championship in 1950.

The 2014 version of F1 has the power and more to not only build on this success but also the potential to provide many more happy memories for years to come, as the race from the red light to the chequered flag continues apace.

Whether or not it is that lure of sporting duel, challenge of technical innovation, or some other method that draws people in does of course vary but it is, without doubt, the iconic moments that has both entertained and excited fans, in equal measure, over countless number of years. Memories of glorious battles and heroics of drivers from days gone by, together with the desire to see the current charges attain that same level abound.

My earliest memories revolve around Nigel Mansell and the ups and downs of his career, great to watch and able to pull of stunning moves that few others could dream of but always mixed with a nagging doubt that things would never fall into place just quite right.

Such times were dominated by the Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna duel and although Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel may be perceived to have dominated the sport in subsequent years, thus robbing it of a great deal of its appeal, it seems more appropriate that each and every driver should be applauded for their achievements.

Of course, it's not just all about the drivers as the teams and their employees play just as an important, if not even more so, role in helping to make the sport what it is. There's the history of Ferrari, the perfection of McLaren, the power of Mercedes, the precision of Red Bull and the racers of Williams, alongside every other constructor, that also deserves much fulsome praise.

Indeed, it's been great to see that the official yearly reviews, in much the same way that Senna and Rush have also done, are able to give us the opportunity to relive these many moments years later. The chance to rejoice in the close battles and wheel to wheel racing that they and their rivals produced, evokes many iconic images.

Whilst there have been many times where drivers and or teams have not always been portrayed in the best possible light, perhaps if one looks behind the headlines then it would become abundantly clear that misdemeanours are not necessarily always a bad thing but rather part of an inner built desire to succeed and be the best, a true mark of not just a champion but indeed anybody on the grid.

For those that say things were better in my day then for sure there is an element of truth in such logic as that is how one remembers things. Rest assured though, there's not an awful lot wrong with the current version, nor is there with the future.

In essence, it is virtually impossible to recall and list the countless number of occasions, in terms of entertainment and excitement, that F1 has given this fan over the years but nothing can stop me from reliving those memories, rejoicing in the past and also revelling in the future.

I hope for a great season of F1, on and off the track.

F1 is go, go, go.

#2735 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,088 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 22:06

Welcome Michael, I'm looking forward to seeing your view on some of the topics discussed here.

Edited by D-Type, 02 April 2014 - 23:06.

#2736 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:19

I clicked on my link to the Nostalgia Forum and it looked like the forum no longer existed but luckly the site still exists but my link has grown stale. Greetings from the "last century", I'm surprised but thankful that Autosport hasn't thrown you lot into the dustbin. LOL

Been playing around with slot cars at my "new" club NCSRA and working on my track that I am building in my library. Rest assured that no motorsport books were lost in its construction.

I see that Ray Bell is still kicking!

Edited by Dennis David, 02 April 2014 - 01:21.

#2737 YannJules

YannJules

• 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:53

Hello there,

I've joined the forum a little while back but I thought it would only be appropriate to pass through the introduction process.

So, my name is Yann, I'm 28, and I am a classic car broker.

I am an Alfisti at heart and particularly interested in the SZ Coda Troncas. That's a bit specific, I know, but I've just fallen in love with these little munchkins while researching the history of one of the ex-Le Mans 1963 cars owned by a close friend. I am also well-wersed in the "plastic Porsches," especially the 906s.

So what else is there to say about me? Feel free to ask.

All the best,

Yann

#2738 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 20:59

Where are you from, Yann?

It's always good to have different points of view around here, you are most welcome.

#2739 DavidI

DavidI

• 55 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 00:44

Probably about time I added myself here.

As you can probably see, I'm David, the "I" being for Ivers.

I live behind the mountains in the Gold Coast hinterland.

My father grew up in country northern NSW and like most of his generation was handy with a spanner and tinkered with various cars over the years, but never had the wherewithall to actively pursue motor sport (although he did attend an early meeting at Lakeside, he has passed on to me photos from that day of Jack Brabham, Bruce McLaren, Ron Flockhart, et al.)

I have been interested in cars for as long as I remember, but due to growing up in various places a long way from any tracks (dad was in the Air Force) didn't actually get to a circuit race meeting until the early '90s - I had at least been to Archerfield Speedway a couple of times during the 1980s, and never missed a televised race meeting. I finally started doing some hillclimbs at Mt Cotton while I was still a student and competed during the 1990s in a succession of very boring, very standard cars, but was fortunate enough to be offered a drive in a friend's Leda Sports 1300 on 2 occasions (I have loved Clumban/Sports 1300s since seeing a televised race from Amaroo Park a long long time ago). At times when I lacked a suitable car I also marshalled at Mt Cotton, including running the start line for about 2 years. I also officiated at the first 2 Leyburn Sprint events.

I had a break for a long time, marriage, kids, divorce having taken their toll on both time and finances, and now I'm in my early 40s and feeling the urge to drive something again. I have always loved sports-racing cars (I think I saw the movie "Le Mans" at an early age) and am looking to get something in that veign when the time comes. I find myself drawn mainly to historic racing, because the cars are more interesting and frankly I'm more interested in cars than drivers (which is why modern "one make" series hold no appeal), and also because I know I'm not going to be a professional driver at my age and it's more about taking part in an event and exercising a car as it should be without necessarily worrying about winning.

Hopefully I'll have more to post when I have something worthwhile to post about, until then I'll just read the many and varied contributions from other members and try not to make an ar$e of myself!

Advertisement

#2740 YannJules

YannJules

• 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:34

Where are you from, Yann?

It's always good to have different points of view around here, you are most welcome.

Hello Ray,

I currently live in Paris, France.

Best regards,

Yann

#2741 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:28

Thank you, Yann... but perhaps that's not your homeland?

David, I'll be driving past your front gate in the morning. Of course, I won't know where it is, but anyone who likes the old Clubmans is obviously an intelligent sort of person.

#2742 YannJules

YannJules

• 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:25

Ray,

It actually is my homeland. I grew up in the suburbs of Paris, moved to the U.S. for four years as a college student, then came back to Europe. I was in Geneva for 18 months then back to Paris.

BR,

Yann

#2743 C4FX3

C4FX3

• 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:09

Hey... Well, my real name is Paul-Yvon Surette (double-barrelled French names are not uncommon in my family). My ID name, C4FX3, refers to my '89 C4 Corvette with the first year FX3 option ZF 6 speed transmission and adjustable ride suspension. Ok, enough about that. I'm not in the habit of posting on forums but I fell backwards into this one while doing research on a book I'm writing. I was more than impressed with the level of intelligent conversation, great photos not to mention the gentleman I was researching was one of the posters! That's good enough for me. I am an incorrigible vintage car, motorcycle, boat, airplane, truck, train geek. I love competition cars, was a complete F1 mental case for ten years or so, crave historic car and bike races etc... You get the picture. I'm an inhabitant of Canada's East Coast were our summers are littered with gorgeous girls on a hundred kilometers of beautiful sandy beaches where the waters of the Northumberland Straight are the warmest north of the Carolinas. Grew up watching international hydroplane races in my back yard. Ride my vintage bike for six month of the year. Our winters are cold and snow bound so I can attend vintage snowmobile drag races and shows and enjoy winter like few people do. That's what I do.

Apologies for the long winded intro...

Looking forward to poking around the forum...

Kindest regards...

Paul

#2744 mph911

mph911

• 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:42

Hi all, I joined up a while ago after following and lurking for many years. I am from Sydney, Australia and am amazed by the knowledge of the members on here. I grew up around motor sport and participate at an club level. I can contribute lots of photos of historic events i attend..

#2745 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,782 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:57

Wellcome mph.....did you enjoy Eastern Creek last Sunday? Car engines should be in the back, and should not have any water in them. :cool:

Looking forward to more of those wonderful photos.

#2746 mph911

mph911

• 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:32

Wellcome mph.....did you enjoy Eastern Creek last Sunday? Car engines should be in the back, and should not have any water in them. :cool:

Looking forward to more of those wonderful photos.

Thank you Greg, I watched you racing when I was growing up.. Amaroo, Oran Park. In fact there is a pic in the rotary thread of my father's Torana behind your Beetle on pole at Oran Park.

#2747 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,782 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 22:12

I say, Dr Watson.....do you think it could be Matthew ? :wave:

#2748 Beagleboy

Beagleboy

• 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 00:18

Hi all my name is Peter joined up about 4 days ago i live in Perth Western Australia been looking from the side lines for a while and decided to join up . Mainly into V8s but all cars and bikes are of interest .

#2749 neiltipton

neiltipton

• 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 17:22

First off, I should state this is not my first time at the rodeo, as I used to post semi-regularly back in the day on the old TNF, however the mists of time mean I've lost track of the old account and username etc, so time to start afresh.

I've been a keen follower of motorsport in its many varied forms for more than 20 years now, my boyhood interests piqued by the likes of Mansell, flaming Sierra Cosworths, and any number of early 1990s happenings.  Through that passion I've always had a particular interest in the circuits that the racing gods perform on, with that sense that unless I could picture the circuit map in my mind's eye I could never quite properly enjoy or understand the race as it unfolded. 

I became an avid collector of books and magazine articles - anything which had a circuit map in it, essentially - and would spend hours carefully drawing them out until I had sheets and sheets of paper with hundreds of circuits.  The internet was in a fairly youthful state in those days, but it seemed to present a good way to organise all of this info and so began the labour of love that led to the creation of my original e-Tracks website.  Imagine my surprise when what had simply started out as a way for me to organise my own collection of diagrams soon started attracted hits from around the world.

From some very humble beginnings, e-Tracks grew into a fairly sizeable hobby site, but as is so often the case, changes in personal circumstances led to a decrease in the amount of time I could devote to it and it, over time, it fell more and more out of date.  After 14 years (crikey, is it really that long!), further changing circumstances have given me more time and energy for the project again, so I'm now in the process of re-launching at the sliightly more catchy domain http://www.racingcircuits.info 

As I continue to add circuits and maps to the new site, I've no doubt I'll be asking the collective here for their wisdom to help me on my way with bits and pieces of info, but in the meantime, I hope you enjoy the site and feel free to drop me a line on Facebook or via Twitter (@RaceCircuitInfo).

#2750 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 173 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:03

Hi

I use the pseudonym Dick Dastardly but my real name is Philip Senior. I actually registered 5 years ago, but don't remember doing so ! Its only in the past few days that I've started reading & posting. I'm 60 [born in '53] and was brought up in a motorsport environment...Dad [Arthur Senior] was a rally driver [& still is, he does things like Classic Marathon & Rally of the Tests etc, hoping to be out next March on the Poppy Rally at the age of 85 !!]. My earliest motorsport memory is aged 3 at a 50s Oulton Park, looking through a gate from where the paddock is onto the start/finish straight [no armco etc, just rope and bales] and seeing 50s single-seaters blasting past. Dad has a tray as a prize from a handicap race from April / May 57, so I'm assuming that was the meeting. We moved to Cumbria in 1960...my parents took over the Brotherswater Hotel at the foot of Kirkstone.....I can remember the 63 RAC coming past [start in Blackpool, 1st stage Grizedale, 2nd stage Greystoke, we were on the route between the 2]...I can still see white PV544s, red SAABs & Healeys etc coming past then waiting for Dad [car 79] in a borrowed 1071S ! Before that, we'd had the pleasure of rides in a works Reliant Sabre recce / practice car as Dad did the 63 Spa-Sofia-Liege with Bobby Parkes in a works Sabre 6. Jan '64, returning home from primary school to find the entire Reliant Works team in the our car park as they collected Dad en route to Glasgow for the start of the 64 Monte. Even Graham Warner, of Chequered Flag fame, in his recent book made an oblique mention of going via the Lake District to Glasgow. The main story of that Monte was Dad & Bobby having a blowout on the final night on the Turini, which sent them off the road to land 80 - 100 feet down on the road they'd just been on a few seconds earlier. Reliant gained a lot of publicity on how their car...made of fibreglass..stood up to the impact. Dad had a bleeding nose, Bobby a broken rib [I think], they were the only injuries.    

Anyway I digress....late 60s saw me as a teenager attending local motorsport events including Barbon & Leighton Hall Hill Climbs and Morecambe CC organised Players No 6 Autocrosses. 70s saw me starting to attend rallycrosses and race meetings at Croft.....the 71 Oulton Park Good Friday Meeting was my 1st F1 race [won by Pedro Rodriguez] and I hitch-hiked to / camped at the 71 British GP at Silverstone. For the 71 Oulton Park Gold Cup, my younger brother [aged 10] and I hitch-hiked, got picked up by the CoC's wife, so we ended up getting into the circuit for free!. A lot of circuit stuff in the early -mid 70s....I was a student in Nottingham, didn't have a car...so did a lot of hitch hiking to Mallory, Silverstone, Oulton, Brands mainly to marshal. Ronnie Peterson & Tony Brise were my heroes [Tony being 18 months older but was a student on a similar course to mine]. After graduating in 76, I switched to rallying...I had a car by then and could easily access forest stages, remote lanes etc...plus I was back in Cumbria, where rallying thrived.

Dad got invited back into rallying on the 1982 RAC Golden 50 [the 1st historic rally] and we've been involved in the historic scene ever since. We currently have a Riley 1.5 & 2 Mini Cooper 1293 S's [one stage prepared, I've done several BHRC rounds over the past few years]...the other for historic road events [mainly HERO/CRA events]. In the 90s, I helped Fred Bent organize the Classic Illuminations, a 2-day historic road event....Fred went onto bigger things by being the mastermind behind RoTT for 10 years+.  And, I think we must be the only people in rallying who have NEVER sat in an Escort!!  Dad was into Minis the the early 60s....he'd retired from rallying by the time the Escort was introduced, so he'd never rallied one....and when historic rallying started, it was always going to be back to a Mini for us. Escorts weren't allowed anyway up to around 2000. 

My interest is mainly in the historic / nostalgia scene [50s - 60s - 70s]....much prefer 60s/ 70s F1 cars when designers had much more freedom and the scope for lateral thinking, rather than today's all-look-alikes. I have fond memories of those late 60s / early 70s events, cars and drivers....TV Rallycross, Players No 6 Autocross [especially Rod Chapman], 1-litre F3 cars [especially the GLTL Loti of Dave Walker & Bev Bond], Frank Gardner's Mustang, Bill McGovern's Imp, Chris Craft & John Fitzpatrick's Broadspeed Escorts battling for the BTCC crown [I never did see the works Minis of John Rhodes etc, the 1970 Croft International was my 1st time seeing the BTCC as a speccie]...David Good hillclimbing a F5000 McLaren M10B with his right arm "truncated" at the elbow !!  I was at an impressionable age and it took a lot of effort to get to these events when I couldn't drive and Dad wasn't able to take me. 

I'm still living in Cumbria, this is the area I want to retire to when the time comes. I work away from home a lot, all over the UK and abroad [Leuven, Belgium for !nBev, the Stella brewery] and IBM in Amsterdam.

Edited by Dick Dastardly, 28 July 2014 - 11:57.