Photo

'Mini Conquers the Mountain' - 2006

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:04

Ladies, Gentlemen - Please find the following details on an event we have confirmed at this years V8 Supercar Bathurst round from October 5th - 8th.

PRESS RELEASE -
Muscle Car Events confirmed today Shannons are the naming rights sponsor in their annual Bathurst Support Event this year entitled Shannons ‘Mini Conquers the Mountain’.
An enormous showcase of all Mini’s celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Mini win at the legendary Mount Panorama circuit.

Muscle Car Event’s Todd Martin said ‘Shannons are long time supporters of our events and we hope the event brings continued awareness and business of the Shannons brand and the services Shannons provide’. Martin added ‘Auto Fan Media’s publication ‘The Mini Experience’ will give added exposure to the event as the bible for Mini owners not only here in Australia but overseas’.
‘The club scene with Mini owners is very professional and that’s where we’ll find the majority of the entrants for the event. Although we allow only 100 cars for track time many more Mini and BMC / Leyland models are welcome to be entered in the event including displays, dinners and the added value of going to Bathurst during the annual V8 Supercar event’.

The 4 day event will attract genuine/original cars including Cooper and Cooper S / Mini 1000 / 1100 / Deluxe / 850 / K / Broadspeed and Clubman GT with period mag wheels accepted. Martin confirmed each accredited track time Mini will receive period magnetic race door numbers which will become great memento’s of the event plus tickets to the Official Welcome Dinner, 4 Day General Entry to the V8’s, National Motor Racing Museum entry, secure accommodation for the cars offsite and Muscle Car Events also offers camping style accommodation in a venue booked exclusively for Mini owners.

For a complete event overview, ENTRY FORM and more details on this event contact:
Todd Martin
Muscle Car Events Australia
Office: 0747722783
Mobile: 0428 487 981
Email: minis@musclecarevents.com.au

ENDS -

Gents, it is quite strange we have a business name as Muscle Car Events, but as i'm sure you'll understand the focus each year when we do the Heritage stuff at Bathurst is on the Colours and Stripes stuff from the late 60''s early 70's.

We also manage Classic Adelaide, The Muscle Car Masters plus our own events nationally and are acutely aware of the history involving not only Muscle Cars from the big 3, but the first generation of Series Production - hence the fact there was no point in paying more money to the Government for another business name........

to come is the event overview as asked - WE ASK POTENTIAL ENTRANTS TO CONTACT US INDIVIDUALLY -
Cheers
MCE Australia

Shannons 'Mini Conquers the Mountain' [/b]
will celebrate the achievements of the 1966 Bathurst win including over 40 years of Brick memories both on and off track at Bathurst Mount Panorama from
October 5th – 8th 2006.

This event is open to all Mini owners and enthusiasts with preselected Mini’s going on track in the “Lap of a lifetime”.

The following models are eligible for track time
COOPER / S
1000 / 1100
DELUXE
850 / K
BROADSPEED
CLUBMAN GT

(GUIDELINES FOLLOW)

Thursday / Friday October 5th & 6th 2006

•Event Registration on site at Bathurst Showgrounds from 10am – 3pm both days
•Official Welcome Friday onsite @ Bathurst Showgrounds @ 5pm sharp - COMPULSORY
•Fully Catered Barbeque Dinner inside Beau Brown Pavilion @ Bathurst Showgrounds follows Official Welcome.

Saturday October 7th 2006

•Static Display on site inside Bathurst Showgrounds from 9am – 2pm
•Top Ten Shootout on site at Mount Panorama
•Fully Catered Presentation Dinner on site at Charles Sturt University, 6:30pm for 7pm sharp – Dress is smart casual

Sunday October 8th 2006

•Parade Lap around Mount Panorama
•Race Day Viewing onsite at Mount Panorama
•Race Day viewing onsite at Bathurst Showgrounds via Network Ten (Televisions inside Pavilions)

ACCOMMODATION

Onsite Accommodation in the form of secure camping is available @ The Bathurst Showgrounds. This comes with 240v-powered sites, hot and cold showers set amongst picturesque grasslands and trees.
This complex is a one gate in, one gate out area and is approx 5 mins walk from the main street of Bathurst (William Street) McDonalds, ATMS etc….
It is located 30 mins walk from the circuit; alternatively The Bathurst Visitor Information Centre is across the road….
This is the most cost effective form of accommodation if you want to be involved in the event as we also provide as part of your Entry Fee undercover secure accommodation for your car inside one of the showgrounds pavilions. The showgrounds is
booked exclusively for entrants and we welcome friends and relatives to camp alongside.
To book and pay your campsite fees please forward names and number of people onsite to event management when forms are posted to you. Accommodation is available from Tuesday night.
Alternative Accommodation is available from Bathurst Visitor Information Centre where a list is combined of local farm stays, B&B’s and houses rented to visiting race fans – Bathurst Visitor Info Centre – 02 63321444 email – visitors@bathurst.nsw.gov.au
(Min cost for housing over 4 nights is $1400 - $2200 /
Camping is $20 per person per night)

MEALS

A fully catered Barbeque is available to all entrants and friends on Friday afternoon directly after the Official Welcome, this Barbeque is subsidised by Event Management and is a fully catered meal. Including steak, sausages, salads, bread rolls and tea/coffee and is a fantastic meal after a long day of looking at a great collection of Mini’s.
Saturday night’s Presentation Dinner is planning to be huge. Dress is smart casual at The Charles Sturt University with dessert and tea / coffee plus a children’s playroom for babies / children off to the side. This is a licensed venue – NO BYO.

ALCOHOL

Alcohol is permitted into the showgrounds for campers, but is not to be bought into Saturdays Static Display or shown openly throughout the event. During both Barbeques Alcohol is permitted.

SECURITY

Throughout the event Muscle Car Events Australia,
The Bathurst Showground Trust, Bathurst
City Council and AVESCO take no responsibility
whatsoever for the welfare of you, your invited guests
and your car. During Registration, the dinners and
the Static Display Saturday, Event Officials,
Event Management and Club Officials will be on site.
As a apart of your Entry Fee we provide lock up
secure accommodation for your car from Thursday night
inside the Bathurst Showground Pavilions, this is limited
to a number of cars per night.
(FIRST IN, FIRST SERVE

EVENT MERCHANDISE

This Merchandise will be available to entrants and
their friends from Thursdays Registration, then
during Saturdays Static Display, this merchandise will include - SHIRTS, CAPS, COFFEE MUGS, STUBBIE COOLERS, and Anniversary Port etc..

VEHICLE ELIGIBILITY (for track time)

•Accreditation given to 100 vehicles max for track time.
•Vehicles with period style Contessa, ROH or Minilite wheels are permitted – All vehicles must supply photos which will be returned.
•All vehicles to carry allowances for Event signage, across top of windscreen and other areas - info to come.

Please note throughout this event, Track Time can
never be guaranteed.
Once you have sent your Entry Form and photos,
you will receive an Official Letter of Confirmation.

FEES

Entry Fees to Mini – Conquers the Mountain - $330
(per car including 2 people)

WHAT YOU RECEIVE

1.Accreditation (General Entry) to the 2006 Super Cheap Auto Bathurst 1000 for 4 days - Thurs / Fri / Sat / Sun.

2.Race Numbered Door signage as per period. Magnetic Signage with your entrant number to be displayed during the event and yours to keep as a very special piece of memorabilia. Primarily this signage will be your identification as a track time Mini and will give you credibility during the event.

3.Accreditation to the display Saturday at Bathurst Showgrounds for (2) all others partners, friends, relatives etc will be confirmed at a later date.

4.Dinner for 2 at the Official Welcome Friday evening (additional tickets available)

5.Entry to The National Motor Racing Museum at Murray’s Corner for 2.

6.Inclusion in ‘LAP OF A LIFETIME’
(Tracktime accredited Mini’s only 4 people per car)

7.Secure undercover Mini accommodation at Bathurst Showgrounds Pavilions

8.Specially Produced Event Lanyards introducing your name, state and your car.

ADDITIONAL TICKETING

Tickets for your friends / relatives are as follows -
$175 pp
(prices for children please contact event Management)
Includes -
Accreditation (General Entry) to the 2006 Super Cheap Auto 1000 for 4 days.
Dinner at Fridays Official Welcome Dinner
Entry into the event Mini – Conquers theMountain as a special guest.
Allowance as a passenger in one of the tracktime Mini’s – (friends/relatives of owners only)
Specially produced Event Lanyards.
Entry to The National Motor Racing Museum

THE FINE PRINT

Once entered, at any time should you cancel as an
entrant a fee of $110 is recovered.
The entry is not transferable.
If you arrive with no car to the event you will not
receive any entitlements as an entrant - nor is your
money refundable or credit given.

Entrants to conduct themselves in an orderly manner whilst on track*
Please note failure to do this from a similar event held in 2005 had put this event under jeopardy. Failure to observe direction from Event Management, AVESCO Officials will see you asked to leave the event with no course of response; all registration and dinner fees will not be refunded. Throughout the event you are to drive your vehicle in an orderly manner, whatever you do reflects on the event and its entrants.

ENDS -

Advertisement

#2 green-blood

green-blood

• 709 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 14:26

my friend if I come across some money I'll bring my 1966 850 out from Ireland, I promise.... that said it will need to be alot of money. Wow the legendary Mount Panarama!!!! :eek:

I hope it goes well this looks like a fantastic opportunity for mini owners/drivers/enthusiasts.

Best of good luck, I'm so jealous

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 23:17

Originally posted by green-blood
my friend if I come across some money I'll bring my 1966 850 out from Ireland, I promise.... that said it will need to be alot of money. Wow the legendary Mount Panarama!!!! :eek:

I hope it goes well this looks like a fantastic opportunity for mini owners/drivers/enthusiasts.

Best of good luck, I'm so jealous

Yes sir!!...and thanks for sending Paddy Hopkirk out here a few times to compete :up:

2006 is also the 45th Anniversary for the Mini 850..... :)

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 23:33

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
2006 is also the 45th Anniversary for the Mini 850..... :)

That must have been 2004, surely . . . (1959 + 45 = 2004)
Or am I missing something?
:confused:

#5 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:19

Sounds good Mick, but I don't know what the big two manufacturers and the V8 brigade will make of it all. I met Todd Martin at the Muscle Car Masters at Eastern Creek and he seems pretty enthusiastic. Don't know what he means by MCE Australia managing Classic Adelaide though? This event is managed by Silverstone Events.

As for the 45th anniversary of the Mini 850, well, it was introduced here in Australia in 1961. I guess we can also say its the 35th anniversary of the Clubman as well ..... :lol:

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:02

Originally posted by Paul Newby
As for the 45th anniversary of the Mini 850, well, it was introduced here in Australia in 1961. I guess we can also say its the 35th anniversary of the Clubman as well ..... :lol:

Ah - it all makes sense now. Many thanks.

#7 xbgs351

xbgs351

• 129 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:50

I did the 2005 event. Had a great time. The highlights included having an extremely close look over a number of Group C Falcons and doing a lap of the race track prior to the start of the race. My motor was still being run in at the time. It had a 3000rpm rev limiter that stopped us from having as much "fun" as some of the other cars.

A freind of mine who had a XC homologation special, said he would consider buying a Mini Cooper so that he could do the event again in 2006.

#8 green-blood

green-blood

• 709 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:50

well my 850 was rebuilt 2 yuears ago with a head skim and new head gaskets, so its now got 35bhp, as seen on a rolling road, technicaly its supped up....it does 76 mph flat out!!! so a lap could take a while

its a '66 car so its 40 this year and I'm 30 so surely all the Gods are telling us that this is what we shoudl do!!!

I'll be buying an extra lottery ticket every week just becasue of this !!!

#9 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 00:50

I'm wondering, apart from the above mentioned commercial venture (no criticism mean't here, good to see our history being recognised) if anyone is planning to fete the likes of Bob Holden and the other top nine Mini drivers for that matter and maybe sponsor/invite some internationals (Paddy etc) over to celebrate 1966 in October ?? :

#10 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:13

I was wondering when somone was going to mention Bob... You would think they would have mentioned him and Ranuo in the press release.

I was fortunate enough to have worked in Bob's pitcrew when Ranuo came out to co drive with him in 1991. That was for the 30th anniversary of the Mini. Two of natures gentlemen hopefully Ranuo will come out for it. His many stories of the Montie etc are fasinating

#11 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:44

Originally posted by Amaroo Park
I was wondering when somone was going to mention Bob... You would think they would have mentioned him and Ranuo in the press release.

I was fortunate enough to have worked in Bob's pitcrew when Ranuo came out to co drive with him in 1991. That was for the 30th anniversary of the Mini. Two of natures gentlemen hopefully Ranuo will come out for it. His many stories of the Montie etc are fasinating

Well then, you are one priveledged dude :up: Now repeat after me R-A-U-N-O :wave:
(Rauno August Aaltonen (s. 7. tammikuuta 1938, Turku, Finland)

FWIW....I asked the organisers if they knew there was a 1966 winning replica or three getting around and if they thought of getting someone (of Bob's stature) to lead the parade.....I don't hold great hopes but you can live in hope :)

#12 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:57

I was fortunate enough to have worked in Bob's pitcrew when Ranuo came out to co drive with him in 1991.

What a pity you weren't there in 1966 and could spill the beans on the gamesmanship that occurred between the BMC international crew and the local experts :rolleyes:

#13 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 334 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:19

Heard the stories so it was as good as being there. The stories about the Minis doing the Monte Carlo Rally where better

#14 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 13:38

Heard the stories so it was as good as being there. The stories about the Minis doing the Monte Carlo Rally where better

alllllllrrrigghtttt.....we have all read the books coming out of the Comps Dept personnel ...but OK....do tell :wave: