Photo

Supermarine Spitfire

• Please log in to reply
538 replies to this topic

#501 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:01

Doug, many years ago I saw a total non classic, a late 60s VW that had been dumped for less than a week in very salty water,[tidal estuary] the crank and gears where visible through the hi magnesium alloy cases. The metal was fine in that short period

A couple of years ago the bracket holding the (aluminium engine block) outboard motor on the back of my little sailing cruiser sheared and the outboard (running hard in astern) hopped off across the surface for a couple of feet before disappearing 'neath the briny. Fortunately it was in only few feet of water and I was able within 10 minutes to find it and grapple it back on board. I called my friendly marine engineer for advice and he said 'if you can get it here within the hour we might save - otherwise just throw it in the skip...' True: salt water and alluminium do not go well together - despite the fact that there are any number of alluminium boats. Even on those corrosion is an ever-present problem.

Edited by Mal9444, 13 January 2013 - 15:04.

Advertisement

#502 BRMfan

BRMfan

• 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:46

A couple of years ago the bracket holding the (aluminium engine block) outboard motor on the back of my little sailing cruiser sheared and the outboard (running hard in astern) hopped off across the surface for a couple of feet before disappearing 'neath the briny. Fortunately it was in only few feet of water and I was able within 10 minutes to find it and grapple it back on board. I called my friendly marine engineer for advice and he said 'if you can get it here within the hour we might save - otherwise just throw it in the skip...' True: salt water and alluminium do not go well together - despite the fact that there are any number of alluminium boats. Even on those corrosion is an ever-present problem.

That reminds me of my father who when we were returning after a sail he dropped a "seagull "outboard over the stern of our boat whilst attaching it. He rescued it the next day when the tide was out and it worked for years after

#503 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,709 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:23

Not all aluminiums are the same. They use the term 'alloy' for a reason. What you use in an aircraft is not usually what you would want in a boat.

#504 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 747 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:17

...just before Christmas I had a look at a previously wonderful early-'30s classic that had been caught in the New York floods. Seawater and a connected live battery, plus magnesium and aluminium engine, gearbox and back-axle casings, create a passable colander very, very quickly indeed. During its three or four days underwater it must have been fizzing like an Alka-Selzer. Steel gears, shafts and bearings were plainly visible with no need to 'remove' the perforated castings... The damage was simply incredible considering such relatively brief immersion. Lloyd's of London takes another hit...DCN

That's a very unfortunate outcome but, I suppose, inevitable given the awful devastation caused by the storm. In the grand scale of things, with enormous dsruption and tragedy experienced by so many residents, maybe a trifle insignificant too. I sent an email expressing concern to the New York Subway Museum in Brooklyn although I believe that they did not suffer any significant damage. It's always easy in hindsight to suggest taking appropriate steps to protect such items as historic vehicles but, from the reports carried by the UK news media, the circumstances of this event must have been overwhelming.

#505 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,586 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 13:08

Water always finds a way...

Especially when one of the cam locks , top one I believe, on a seagoing container's doors is not located in its pocket correctly and the container holding a valuable racing car is destined for a long sea journey. But that is another sad, sad story...
Roger Lund

BTW it makes me wonder just how badly Nick Mason's 312T was damaged when the boat sank. A full Maranello restoration sorted it, ISTR

#506 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 21:46

Not to sidetrack this thread too much but I thought this might be of interest to TNFers:

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The plane crashed very close to the edge of the Pacific ocean in early 1945. I took these photos about twenty years ago. Since then the wankers with spray cans have been there and it is covered in grafitti apparently. But, the two engine crankcases were in surprising good condition when I inspected the site in the early nineties. I showed these photos to a friend and he went slightly white, "My father was on that plane!" he gasped--he had never seen photos before. Story here:
http://www.pacificwr.../pby/11007.html

#507 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 23:05

Ryanair package flight?

DCN

#508 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 00:09

The twelve passengers was a give away?  ;)

#509 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,128 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:42

The twelve passengers was a give away? ;)

Having to pay £1 to use the Elsan was a bit steep.

#510 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,189 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:03

Having to pay £1 to use the Elsan was a bit steep.

Yes, and they made enough from the excess baggage charges to almost pay for a replacement plane. There was probably also a charge to use the emergency exit & slide.

#511 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,055 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 22:20

They should be releasing a daily update on whats happening as there is a lot of interest around the World,my Niece is a Journo and she can't find any new Info. past the "water in crate" story.I know they have probaly sold the story to National Geo. or something similar but a few titbits wouldn't hurt.

http://www.thisissta...tail/story.html

Edited by Ian G, 16 January 2013 - 22:22.

#512 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:52

BBC News this morning: no crock of gold at the end of the rainbow. Not in the crate, nor anywhere. The buried Spitfires appears to have been a myth, although the lead archaeologist is quoted as saying that he stills believes there are Spitfires buried in Burma, they've just been looking in the wrong place. Puts me in mind of those stories about hidden warehouses in the 'States crammed full of crates of WWII Jeeps, just waiting to be found.

A pity. A find of 124 Spitfires, crated-up and just needing to be bolted together and started up would have been rather lovely.

Oh well. Back to checking my lottery ticket, then...

#513 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 522 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:41

BBC News this morning: no crock of gold at the end of the rainbow. Not in the crate, nor anywhere. The buried Spitfires appears to have been a myth, although the lead archaeologist is quoted as saying that he stills believes there are Spitfires buried in Burma, they've just been looking in the wrong place. Puts me in mind of those stories about hidden warehouses in the 'States crammed full of crates of WWII Jeeps, just waiting to be found.

A pity. A find of 124 Spitfires, crated-up and just needing to be bolted together and started up would have been rather lovely.

Oh well. Back to checking my lottery ticket, then...

The UK has its own treasures salted away:

Strategic Reserve

#514 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 13:29

The UK has its own treasures salted away:

Strategic Reserve

Strategic reserve? This infers long-term forward thinking. No British Government in decades can be accused of that. Nor can the civil service. Or at least - that's the way it looks... :cool:

DCN

#515 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,174 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 16:57

I recall while researching a TV programme on moth balled goods, that there were quite a few sheds around Church Crookham still filled with Donkey blankets, saw them myself, made me wonder what else had be put aside, just in case!!

#516 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:12

I recall while researching a TV programme on moth balled goods, that there were quite a few sheds around Church Crookham still filled with Donkey blankets, saw them myself, made me wonder what else had be put aside, just in case!!

The mark of a good "Stores" (sorry, Logistics...) Sergeant is how much extra kit he has sqirrelled away for his unit over time. One of the last major NATO "outloading" exercises in BAOR revealed that the carefully scaled vehicle and trailer allocations for going "on the road" left most units with a pile of extra kit as big as the scaled kit they had just loaded...

#517 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:16

Strategic reserve? This infers long-term forward thinking. No British Government in decades can be accused of that. Nor can the civil service. Or at least - that's the way it looks... :cool:
DCN

That's because they were away to "Burlington", later known as "Turnstile", next door to all those steam engines (and don't forget the captured UFOs) in Box Tunnel.

Edited by RS2000, 18 January 2013 - 17:16.

#518 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,055 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 22:49

Not sure how it will all end in Burma but from what i can find out on the Net. & Media the Planes did exist,the crates were either buried or dumped at sea so hopefully they are just looking in the wrong place.The only thing i'm not comfortable with is the fact that burying the crates would have been a big exercise and surely talked about after the War by those involved,the fact that no family members(AFAIK) have come forward to confirm what happened is also a concern.

#519 dolomite

dolomite

• 951 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 23:39

Not looking good.....

BBC News - Archaeologists believe no Spitfires buried in Burma

Spitfire search descends into farce

Advertisement

#520 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 212 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:36

Aviation blog 'Hushkit' has posted an interview with car designer Peter Stevens (McLaren F1 and others). In the interview, Mr Stevens describes a personal theory he has for why the Spitfire looked 'sensuous' and the Hurricane (which I personally prefer) was less so.

Interview is available here: 'Hushkit' interview with Peter Stevens

Relevant section of text here:

"The Hurricane is a fabulous aircraft but I suspect that the draughtsmen who would have drawn the full-size lines of the ‘plane would have been local to Hatfield and would most probably have had amongst their drawing kit ‘railway curves’. These are very large radius curves used during the laying out of railway tracks. If you then connect these very big radius lines, often almost straight lines, with regular corner radii you get a Hurricane. The Spitfire, on the other hand was drawn up in Southampton where the draughtsmen would have come from the boat building industry, and they would have amongst their drawing kit ‘ships curves’, these are transitional curves that slowly tighten or flatten over their lengths. Hence the more sensuous lines of the Spitfire."

#521 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 114 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:00

I am a bit sceptical about this, apart from being a good story.

The tiny team of designers/draughtsman assembled at Canbury Park Rd, Kingston, to complete the prototype, according to Francis Mason's expert book about the Hurricane. The design was a continuation of the multi-tube space-frame approach used by Hawkers on their excellent series of Hart, Fury and Audax, some of the most beautiful bi-planes ever to fly. Not for Sydney Camm the excessive complication of the Supermarine semi-monocoque approach - he wanted his fighter to be easy to fly and easy to repair when battle-damaged. His designers used a philosophy of incremental progress. The shape of the Hurricane flowed naturally from that and, I think, little to do with railway curves and certai nly nowhere near Hatfield.

I have never been over-awed by the adulation for the Spitfire. For my money, the Hurricane looks wonderfully purposeful and punchy, a proper gents aerial fighting machine.
Nick

interview with Peter Stevens[/url]

Relevant section of text here:

"The Hurricane is a fabulous aircraft but I suspect that the draughtsmen who would have drawn the full-size lines of the ‘plane would have been local to Hatfield and would most probably have had amongst their drawing kit ‘railway curves’. These are very large radius curves used during the laying out of railway tracks. If you then connect these very big radius lines, often almost straight lines, with regular corner radii you get a Hurricane. The Spitfire, on the other hand was drawn up in Southampton where the draughtsmen would have come from the boat building industry, and they would have amongst their drawing kit ‘ships curves’, these are transitional curves that slowly tighten or flatten over their lengths. Hence the more sensuous lines of the Spitfire."
[/quote]

#522 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:22

Actually Nick, it doesn't even make a good story!
a) what's Hatfield (i.e. de Havilland) got to do with the Hawker Hurricane?
b) why would a drawing office near Hatfield have "railway curves"?
c) as you say, the Hurricane was a continuation of the line of Hawker's aeroplanes
d) as, to a considerable extent, was the Spitfire of Supermanine's

The Greeks had a word for it. . .

Βολλοχ

#523 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,128 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:04

Actually Nick, it doesn't even make a good story!
a) what's Hatfield (i.e. de Havilland) got to do with the Hawker Hurricane?
b) why would a drawing office near Hatfield have "railway curves"?
c) as you say, the Hurricane was a continuation of the line of Hawker's aeroplanes
d) as, to a considerable extent, was the Spitfire of Supermanine's

The Greeks had a word for it. . .

Βολλοχ

And no doubt the Mosquito used some of Sir Nigel Gresley's boiler templates he accidentally left at Salisbury Hall when he vacated the premises ....

#524 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 496 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:49

Since graduating I have always used a set of french curves. What sort of plane could I have designed?

#525 La Sarthe

La Sarthe

• 103 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:03

A Brigitte Bardot special? :lol:

#526 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:12

Since graduating I have always used a set of french curves. What sort of plane could I have designed?

Probably one like this Breguet Br.761/763/765 Deux Ponts
Posted Image

#527 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,256 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:58

Almost all of the work on the Spitfire wing was done by the Canadian Beverley Shenstone, who was possibly the most skilled aerodynamicist working in Britain in the 1930s. He had previously worked at Junkers with the great Alexander Lippisch and was a personal friend of Willy Messerschmitt. So to ascribe the design to a bunch of "draughtsmen who had come from the boatbuilding industry" is - to put it mildly - laughable - not to mention insulting to both Shenstone and Mitchell - and suggests to me that Mr Stevens is talking through his hat.

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/184884896X

#528 Charles E Taylor

Charles E Taylor

• 174 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:10

If you had some flair and worked diligently, you might end up with something like LE RÊVE BLEU

http://www.bugatti100p.com/

Beautiful

Charlie

#529 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 496 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:41

It's a shame then that I spent a lot of my career designing Sewage Treatment Plants!

#530 wolseley680

wolseley680

• 77 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:56

The Spitfire and the Hurricane were instrumental in denying the Luftwaffe the air superiority that was needed for an invasion and are both very important aircraft however with the same powerplant the Spitfire was faster and could fly higher, both rather critical for air combat. In terms of construction the Hurricane was "old school" with an airframe and fabric/metal covering whilst the Spitfire was of stressed skin metal construction (except control surfaces on some models) which was harder to make or repair - and the wide track undercarriage of the Hurricane was superior to that of the Spitfire so both aircraft had their advantages but the Hurricane didn't have the development left in it that the Spitfire did. The Hurricane had a shorter service life and was built in fewer numbers than the Spitfire and whilst some may prefer the Hurricane, I don't think there is any doubt about which was the better aircraft

#531 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 23:11

The Hurricane had a shorter service life and was built in fewer numbers than the Spitfire and whilst some may prefer the Hurricane, I don't think there is any doubt about which was the better aircraft

Hmmmm - while understanding what you mean this begs the question, "in what respect?". Many who would know in period regarded the Hurricane as the better gun platform, the more robust, the more capable of surviving battle damage, at lower altitudes it could out-turn both the Bf109 and the Spitfire, and in later years it became an effective and dependable ground attack aircraft if not approaching the record in this respect of its successor, the Typhoon. The Hurricane does tend now to be over-praised in reaction to the glamourisation of the Spitfire having prevailed, some consider, at the Hurricane's expense. Both are distinctive and significant. The Spitfire had greater potential, and simply outlived its 'sister'.

DCN

#532 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,189 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 23:20

...the more capable of surviving battle damage.

Yes, and also having slightly more 'old fashioned' construction, Hurricanes were far easier than Spitfires to repair in the field, a very important consideration in wartime.

#533 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 496 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 00:05

A number of years ago, I had the opportunity to talk to two ex. WW 2 Fighter pilots, who both managed to get through the war unscathed. Both of them preferred to fly the Hurricane as it was not such a" sensitive" plane to fly. One used the analogy of a pedigree race horse for the Spitfire. They both said that the hotshot Aces preferred the Spitfire.

Edited by Robin Fairservice, 10 February 2013 - 00:06.

#534 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,189 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:23

I can remember one of the older guys at Arch Motors some time in the late 60s making a Hurricane/Spitfire comparison with regard to spaceframes and aluminium monocoques, repairability versus ultimate performance potential.

#535 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:54

I can remember one of the older guys at Arch Motors some time in the late 60s making a Hurricane/Spitfire comparison with regard to spaceframes and aluminium monocoques, repairability versus ultimate performance potential.

It should be remembered that Hurricane repairablilty in the field depended on the availability of spare components for the space-frame: see somewhere back up this thread where the bolted fittings and square-section ends of the tubes are described.

#536 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,256 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:16

Hunt for WWII Spitfires in Burma called off The sponsor of a British-led team hunting for dozens of rare World War II Spitfires said to have been buried in Burma has abandoned the search, saying stories of the stashed planes are merely "legend".

Ho-hum ... :well:

#537 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,256 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 13:20

Oh, and there's also this ... Israeli AF Spitfires and the Burma Saga By Peter Dancey which even seems to have a tenuous motor racing connection: [url="http://"%20<a%20href="http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=958&view=findpost&p=4113626""%20target="_blank">http://forums.autosp...how...p=4113626"</a>"]Mrs AC Lace, Brian Carbury and some Beaufighters..[/url]

Edited by Vitesse2, 16 February 2013 - 13:21.

#538 Cargo

Cargo

• 224 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 15:22

Yes, spotted the news about the search being called off in today's papers. :| So the whole project has crashed and burned, as many of the sceptics (on here) predicted it would. For myself, I am very disappointed, and not a little annoyed. I was excited by this project when I first read about it last year, and though initially doubtful, became convinced that the Spits were there, and that they would be found. It was interesting to speculate as to see what condition they would have be in after 50 years in a tropical jungle. But that ain't going to happen now. Bummer.... :mad: :down:

Only thing to look forward to now is the TV documentary of the search, which can only feature anger/recriminations and finger pointing among the team of searchers. There will be nothing else to report on.

I believe the project leader is now planning to dig for more buried Spit's at a new site in Birmingham. I think he might have trouble getting sponsorship this time though .. :rolleyes:

#539 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 683 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:45

There is a two seater in here... http://rnzaf.proboar...d...595&page=79

Edited by Patrick Fletcher, 13 April 2013 - 10:46.