Photo

Free online F1 management sim.

• Please log in to reply
492 replies to this topic

#1 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:48

This awesome little game first appeared a couple of years ago but it died when the server it was on imploded.

Anyhoo it's back! I present BATracer.

Check it out - join up to a series then select a team, practice, adjust setups, send your car out for a run and see how it goes then adjust the setup some more. Set up a qualifying strategy - i.e. when you go out, on what tyres and how aggressive etc. Do the same for the race.

Incredibly addictive stuff. :)

Advertisement

#2 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 16:41

Cool!

Just 4 more players needed in the 2002 F1 game (#18) :up:

#3 Moanaman

Moanaman

• 6,035 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:05

WOOHOO!!!! Brillaint! I loved this game

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 15:06

We've started an Atlas F1 league, sort of.

PM Eli if you want the password

or just join, we're not worried about ruffians

http://batracer.com/-cj?&D&44 password f1geeks

#5 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 19:28

Damn Midland! Crap cars!

There. :D

This is such a cool game. :up:

#6 batracer

batracer

• 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 22:17

Hi Guys,

Glad you like the game. It's early days yet, but it looks like it's already proving popular! There's so much more I want to add...!

reg,

--
Jules

#7 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 22:22

Originally posted by batracer
Hi Guys,

Glad you like the game. It's early days yet, but it looks like it's already proving popular! There's so much more I want to add...!

reg,

--
Jules

You are the peep we should thank about. :D
We had lot of AtlasF1 tournaments in 2003 summer and we had fun till that old batracer came to end.
Thanks to you bringing it back to live.

#8 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 22:50

I'm in - Team Red Bull

#9 StickShift

StickShift

• 5,386 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 22:56

Like. Oh. My. God.

I will have to re-join chat for this. Alas, that will have to wait a couple weeks.

#10 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 00:48

Gah!

Someone give me the damn Password! I'll give you money!!!!!

#11 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:08

Originally posted by BorderReiver
Gah!

Someone give me the damn Password! I'll give you money!!!!!

Ignore the above stupidity. I now rule Toyota with a iron (yet subtle and fragrant) fist. Watch out Gaijin! Here come the Scotio-Nipponese boys!

#12 Makarias

Makarias

• 12,618 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:22

This is sooo brilliant news! I'm teaming up with Bord, folks.

#13 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:23

Im suprised I was the first to choose ferarri :p , anyway I botched my practice runs, but Im all ready to go for QUali and the race. May the best geek win ;)

#14 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:42

Originally posted by Makarias
This is sooo brilliant news! I'm teaming up with Bord, folks.

Together we are Mak & Bord! Crime Fighting Racing Drivers From the Future!

#15 Moanaman

Moanaman

• 6,035 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:23

Well I thought I'd do something sneaky. I have two games going, both as Honda, thinking I could do the old dodgy set up cross checking thing.

Both setups for Bahrain are completly different! :eek:

#16 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:29

Originally posted by Moanaman

Both setups for Bahrain are completly different! :eek:

That's the name of the game - no setups like from script. You have to find best possible setups by yourself and with team mate. :D

#17 batracer

batracer

• 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:38

The setups are vaguely the same at the different circuits - e.g. low downforce at Monza, stiff suspension at Magny Cours.... BUT they will never match exactly from one game to the next.

It's the same with real life I guess, I doubt Ferrari used their 2005 Bahrain setup other than as a starting point - but with changes in tyre technology, the car itself, wind, etc. it's never going to be the same!

#18 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:46

uh...Thought game doesn't need to match with reallife 100% accurate, I'd like to see tire compound choise locked AFTER first practise.

Seems unfair peeps running warm up with different compound. :p

#19 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:49

I've seen...errr...interesting tyre use in practice sessions. Like people using monsoons on a bone dry track in order to preserve their softs/hards for the race and qual :p

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 14:13

I dont know why, I did 35 laps on soft tires at Bahrain in a different game and they didnt wear out.

#21 brabhamboy

brabhamboy

• 86 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:24

Anyone who missed out on the race above or just wants to join a private race with a bunch of sim enthusiasts check us out on the Atlas Legends site at RSC...

http://forum.rscnet....ad.php?t=247090

#22 brabhamboy

brabhamboy

• 86 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:53

Originally posted by Marcel Schot
I've seen...errr...interesting tyre use in practice sessions. Like people using monsoons on a bone dry track in order to preserve their softs/hards for the race and qual :p

Just posted by the devs...

# If you had fitted wildly unsuitable tyres in practice/warmup, these will now give you very little setup feedback!

# Tyre performance modelling has been overhauled across the entire site for all tyres - you may notice wildly differing lap times in practice/warmup sessions for up to 24 hours whilst different players drive laps on the new/old tyres.

# Practice and warmup laps have been revised to have a more pronounced difference between higher and lower values of experimentation and accidents. Middle and low settings are now safer, but higher settings are now more risky. Beware!

#23 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:03

Originally posted by brabhamboy
Just posted by the devs...

# If you had fitted wildly unsuitable tyres in practice/warmup, these will now give you very little setup feedback!

Yeah :D Not sure whether Jules read it here or already knew about it, but it's yet another good development :up:

#24 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:08

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I've just started a BTCC series, it can run in tandem with the F1 2006 series.

http://batracer.com/-cj?&D&97 is the URL and TinTops is the Password.

See you at Brands Hatch!

#25 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:10

Hmmm maybe the next run. I've now figured that running 2 series costs me about 3 hours a day, so I'm pretty sure a third series isn't a wise move :p

#26 Schuting Star

Schuting Star

• 5,139 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 13:46

Originally posted by StickShift
Like. Oh. My. God.

I will have to re-join chat for this. Alas, that will have to wait a couple weeks.

:lol: Exactly my reaction! I'm not sure I should be happy about the return of this game, I'm supposed to be starring at stars in the evenings not spending hours on setup and strategy.

#27 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 13:50

Originally posted by Schuting Star
:lol: Exactly my reaction! I'm not sure I should be happy about the return of this game, I'm supposed to be starring at stars in the evenings not spending hours on setup and strategy.

We'll just have to get a bit more efficient and devise some sort of artificial intelligence to do the setup work for us :p

I think I could seriously spend 8 hours a day on this game just running 2 games. One the one hand I love it, on the other hand I hate it! :p

#28 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 16:05

Originally posted by Marcel Schot

I think I could seriously spend 8 hours a day on this game just running 2 games. One the one hand I love it, on the other hand I hate it! :p

Uh, how you can spend 8 hours for games what takes few mins to complete and then wait ages for another session? :p

#29 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 20:12

Seriously, how could a game be so fun?? And Marcel is right, I end up spending at least an hour on both my games running right now. But it wont hurt to try a third...

#30 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 20:29

This game is great fun. I've got 3 running. 2 x 2006 & 1 2002

#31 Kiwi

Kiwi

• 416 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 23:01

This game rocks! Thanks for the heads-up.

#32 batracer

batracer

• 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 23:22

wow! some of you guys are getting fanatical!;)

#33 brabhamboy

brabhamboy

• 86 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:03

It's 5am GMT. We've got 21 out of 22 drivers strapped in and ready to burn rubber. We just need one more dedicated Batracer to fill the remaining seat.

See post #21

Edit: Done

#34 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:55

Originally posted by The Kanisteri

Uh, how you can spend 8 hours for games what takes few mins to complete and then wait ages for another session? :p

Ehh, what shall I say?

Data Analysis :D I'd like to take my games seriously. This weekend's going to be numbercrunching :) Will hardly help, as the game's evolving, but it's always good to understand principles.

Also figured I'm not quite Kimi. Started from 21st, but only made it to ninth. 2 races, 2 times 9th in one game! How frustrating is that!!

batracer : it's all your fault :p You're working so hard to make this game rock and you get us all addicted!

#35 pixelpunk

pixelpunk

• 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:01

Yeah this is seriously fun, I think I might've made a mistake by joining three leagues though, can get confusing especially since I don't yet has gotten the hang of how it works.

Great fun so thanks a million for the heads up and to batracer/jules for hooking it up.

#36 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:38

Whoa, just had a race where it started to rain and people on slicks were faster than me on intermediates, weather was "steady rain". That shouldn't be possible....

#37 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,512 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:39

I'm having trouble getting into the site, all i get is "loading" in the middle and the page constantly refreshes??????

any help gratefully appreciated!

cheers!

#38 pixelpunk

pixelpunk

• 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:08

Works great for me. Dunno what might cause your "loading", hit http://batracer.com, ie loose the "www" and see if the redirect is causing it.

#39 batracer

batracer

• 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:11

Whoa, just had a race where it started to rain and people on slicks were faster than me on intermediates, weather was "steady rain". That shouldn't be possible....

What series was this? It maybe that they're just massivly quicker than you anyway, or the conditions are marginal and fuel load is more important at that point in the race.

I'm having trouble getting into the site, all i get is "loading" in the middle and the page constantly refreshes?????? any help gratefully appreciated! cheers!

What browser is this? What part of the site is it - or just the front page? Tell me the EXACT URL!

Advertisement

#40 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:37

What series was this? It maybe that they're just massivly quicker than you anyway, or the conditions are marginal and fuel load is more important at that point in the race.

F1 2002 #62

I don't really know how the game handles rain, but in real life, "light rain", would make a change to intermediates neccesary, I think.
From lap 21 on it was "light rain", changed to "rain" on lap 24 and on lap 27 to "wet and slippery conditions" which changed to "steady rain" on lap 30. On that lap there were still 5 people on soft slicks and an Arrows stayed out on slicks till lap 37. The rain didn't seem to bother him.

#41 Moanaman

Moanaman

• 6,035 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:38

Originally posted by Breadmaster
I'm having trouble getting into the site, all i get is "loading" in the middle and the page constantly refreshes??????

Happened to me at work tonight. IE6, http://batracer.com

#42 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,512 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:16

What browser is this? What part of the site is it - or just the front page? Tell me the EXACT URL!

Ok i'm trying http://batracer.com and i've tried Firefox, Opera and even IE (all latest versions therof)

cheers!

ps: tried on two PC's btw to eliminate as many cockup's as I can....

#43 batracer

batracer

• 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:42

I had a look at the race. It generally seems okay... your teammate I think changed to Inters and was immediatly faster by a second despite taking on a new fuel load. On lap27 the 3rd place driver on inters is catching the toyota in front at around 2 seconds a lap. Another car pits just for inters tyres (no fuel) and is 3.3 seconds a lap faster, etc. etc. Having said, the Arrows driver did do rather well and amazingly didn't crash. Maybe his "homerace" bonus helped, and his strategy (regardless of tyres) looked good.

Having said all this, I'm always looking to improve the realism. The tyre model is currently linear, but I need to build a tool library to allow me to model more complex tyre behavior - in this case for a more rapid performance drop off in wet conditions.

#44 batracer

batracer

• 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:50

Re: continual "loading" message/refresh problem...

I've removed the redirector so it only is published with "www" now. If you're still getting it then maybe it's a cache problem. You can bypass that by trying:

http://batracer.com/...IT_NOW_YOU_FOOL

#45 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:16

I had a look at the race. It generally seems okay... your teammate I think changed to Inters and was immediatly faster by a second despite taking on a new fuel load. On lap27 the 3rd place driver on inters is catching the toyota in front at around 2 seconds a lap. Another car pits just for inters tyres (no fuel) and is 3.3 seconds a lap faster, etc. etc. Having said, the Arrows driver did do rather well and amazingly didn't crash. Maybe his "homerace" bonus helped, and his strategy (regardless of tyres) looked good.

Having said all this, I'm always looking to improve the realism. The tyre model is currently linear, but I need to build a tool library to allow me to model more complex tyre behavior - in this case for a more rapid performance drop off in wet conditions.

:up:

I was pretty early with the intermediates, but I only got slower until I changed to wets on lap 31.

No biggie, I'm just trying to understand. :)

#46 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:26

Pretty challenging with the changes to the way practice works :up:

#47 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,512 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:53

It works now - thanks!

#48 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 13:24

Ok chaps. I'll sound you out first. If I set up a Tin-Tops series, who would be interested in, or have the time to join it?

#49 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 13:33

Ok, this one's staying up until we have enough people (however bloody long it takes ;)).

#AtlasTourers
http://batracer.com/-cj?&D&129 (or Championship Number 129)

Password: TinTops

The more the merrier!

#50 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,512 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 15:57

I'm in! look out for me in the MG...

Ted