Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 04 April 2001 - 18:54

Osella turbo

GP started 11
Wins 0
Pole positions 0
Fastest laps 0

I was told the engine was actually an Alfa Romeo, why was it called an Osella?

Advertisement

#2 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 04 April 2001 - 20:28

Rebadging of course...
Megatron was BMW, don´t you recall?
Minardi´s European/Fondmetal are Ford Cosworths.

Osella took over the Alfa engine after they had lost interest.
In effect it was a cheap way of getting engines for 1988.

#3 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2001 - 23:00

Yep it was a rebadging exercise. I always had a soft spot for Osella when they were racing. Shame that they have gone the way of most Italian f1 entries.

The first Osella was a stunner in my opinion.

#4 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,831 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 00:16

Here is a pic of the FA1 from 1980

Posted Image

picture courtesy FORIX

#5 Darren

Darren

• 593 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 01:48

I don't think it was rebadged, though. I think it was always entered as an Osella-Alfa Romeo. I don't think the other Enzo ever got enough cash together to attract a naming-rights sponsor.

#6 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,831 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 04:17

It would have been nice it the other Enzo had got himself a decent sponsor once in his career. Demin was about as close as they got to one.

#7 Powersteer

Powersteer

• 2,460 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 09:06

That looks like Eddie Cheever behind the wheel

:cool:

#8 Patrick Italiano

Patrick Italiano

• 412 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 10:02

Osella-Alfa: the matter was raised in a recent thread where I found that indeed Osella paid for the V8 turbos, more than they had to for the previous V12s. It was indeed officially named Osella Alfa but, I don't recall for sure, the Alfa name might have disappeared for the last season.

The picture of the 1980 Osella shows indeed Cheever, butr at that stage they were Cosworth powered.

#9 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 12:33

Didn't Eddie get the drive because he drove for the team the previous year in F2 ?

#10 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 14:29

Yes the Autodelta Alfa Romeo badge disappeared from the camcovers during 1988. They had indeed Osella lettering on the camcovers, because I have seen pictures of it.
If I can find it again I will post the proof here.

#11 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 15:38

Here is the "Osella" clearly visible on the camcover, no sign of Alfa anymore.

Posted Image

#12 carlos.maza

carlos.maza

• 170 posts

Posted 06 April 2001 - 15:52

LittleChris:

Didn't Eddie get the drive because he drove for the team the previous year in F2 ?

Yes, in 1979, Enzo Osella transformed an old Osella Chassis, which was very thin, into a "WING CAR". Initially, it even had the double wishbone front suspension with external damper-coils (latter changed to an internal damper suspension).
It was orange, sponsored by Beta Tools, equipped with Pirelli tyres and won three races with Cheever, two of them in the rain.

Carlos

#13 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 06 April 2001 - 18:15

From what I remember they aquired the whole progamme.
And all the remaining engines.

#14 lotus79

lotus79

• 50 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 21:52

Hello you all,

Can anybody help me with a problem I have?????
It is about the Osella cars in 1986. According to my resources Osella used the FA1G in most of the races, and they used a FA1H in a few races late in the season.
I have pictures of the FA1G and I discovered some pictures of the FA1H and the differences between the two are clear.
But when I searced www.forix.com I saw two pictures of Osella cars in Imola in San Marino. One with Piercarlo Ghinzani and one with Christian Danner. According to Forix both the cars are FA1G's. But the two cars are very different. The car that Danner is driving looks alot like the FA1H, but that car made his debut in Paul Ricard with Ghinzani.
(I can't place the pictures. I don't know how)

Can anybody tell me about the Osella cars in 1986?????????

thanks,
Lotus79

#15 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,184 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 22:01

Hodges' A-Z has this to say about the FA1H: 'First seen incomplete at the 1986 San Marino GP, complete for the Belgian GP but not raceworthy; raced in the French GP and crashed in the British GP and not seen again.' So your picture from San Marino does show this car, even though it didn't run on the track there.

#16 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 22:07

according to my sources (the french magazine "sport-auto" and the spanish motorsport yearbook by Javier del Arco), both cars were FA1G.

Carles.

#17 lotus79

lotus79

• 50 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 22:27

Thanks, but I knew this already.
It is a shame that I can't post the pictures. But on Forix you can see them. Danner drove the car also in Monaco.

#18 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 23:45

According to Autosprint:
1986			 GHINZANI DANNER   BERG	CAFFI   T-car

----------------- ------  ------  ------  ------  ------

Brazil			FA1F/1  FA1G/1

Spain			 FA1F/1  FA1G/1

San Marino (*)	FA1F/1  FA1G/1

Monaco			FA1F/1  FA1G/1

Belgium		   FA1F/1  FA1H/1				  FA1G/1

Canada			FA1F/1  FA1H/1				  FA1G/1

USA (*)		   FA1H/1		  FA1G/1		  FA1F/1

France			FA1H/1		  FA1G/1		  FA1F/2

Great Britain	 FA1H/1		  FA1G/1		  FA1F/2

Germany		   FA1G/1		  FA1F/1

Hungary		   FA1G/1		  FA1F/1

Austria		   FA1G/1		  FA1F/1

Italy			 FA1G/1				  FA1F/1

Portugal		  FA1G/1		  FA1F/1

Mexico			FA1G/1		  FA1F/1

Australia		 FA1G/1		  FA1F/1
(*) : I=m not sure about San Marino and USA, as Autosprint simply wrote "chassis as usual".

As you already wrote, FA1H was seen for the first time at Imola, but not used; its debut was at Spa and it was destroyed at Great Britain, in the crash at first start. Note that even at Monaco (so after it was seen for the first time) there were rumors it could have Motori Moderni engine, rather than old Alfa Romeo V8, but this never happened.

I have also some doubt about FA1F/2 (T-car in France and Great Britain) : I wonder if it's true or - as I guess - simply the usual FA1F/1 mistyped.

Ciao,
Guido

#19 conjohn

conjohn

• 487 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 09:41

Originally posted by gdecarli
According to Autosprint:

1986			 GHINZANI	 DANNER	   BERG		CAFFI	   T-car

----------------- ------	  ------	  ------	  ------	  ------

Brazil			FA1F/1	  FA1G/1

Sheldon		 FA1G-2	  FA1G-1

Autosport	   FA1G/85-02  FA1G/85-01

Spain			 FA1F/1	  FA1G/1

Sheldon		 FA1F-1	  FA1G-1

San Marino (*)	FA1F/1	  FA1G/1

Sheldon		 FA1G-2	  FA1G-1

Monaco			FA1F/1	  FA1G/1

Sheldon		 FA1H-1	  FA1G-1

Belgium		   FA1F/1	  FA1H/1							  FA1G/1

Sheldon		 FA1G-1	  FA1H-1							  FA1F-1

Autosport	   FA1G-2	  FA1H-1

Canada			FA1F/1	  FA1H/1							  FA1G/1

Sheldon		 FA1G-1	  FA1H-1							  FA1F-1

Autosport	   FA1G/85-G02 FA1G/85-H01

USA (*)		   FA1H/1				  FA1G/1				  FA1F/1

Sheldon		 FA1G-2				  FA1H-1				  FA1F-1

Autosport	   FA1G/85-G02			 FA1G/85-H01

France			FA1H/1				  FA1G/1				  FA1F/2

Sheldon		 FA1G-2				  FA1H-1				  FA1F-1

Autosport	   FA1G/85-G02			 FA1G/85-H01

Great Britain	 FA1H/1				  FA1G/1				  FA1F/2

Sheldon		 FA1H-1				  FA1G-2				  FA1F-1

Autosport	   FA1H/3				  FA1H/85-2

Germany		   FA1G/1				  FA1F/1

Autosport	   FA1H/3				  FA1H/85-?

Hungary		   FA1G/1				  FA1F/1

Autosport	   FA1H-03				 FA1H-02

Austria		   FA1G/1				  FA1F/1

Autosport	   FA1G/85-03			  FA1G/85-02 

Italy			 FA1G/1							  FA1F/1

Autosport	   FA1G/85-A03						 FA1G/85-A02

Portugal		  FA1G/1				  FA1F/1

Autosport	   FA1G/85-A03			 FA1G/85-A02

Mexico			FA1G/1				  FA1F/1

Sheldon		 FA1H-1				  FA1G-2

Autosport	   FA1F/85-A01			 FA1G/85-A01

Australia		 FA1G/1				  FA1F/1

Sheldon		 FA1H-1				  FA1G-2

Autosport	   FA1G/85-03			  FA1G/85-02
(*) : I=m not sure about San Marino and USA, as Autosprint simply wrote "chassis as usual".

As you already wrote, FA1H was seen for the first time at Imola, but not used; its debut was at Spa and it was destroyed at Great Britain, in the crash at first start. Note that even at Monaco (so after it was seen for the first time) there were rumors it could have Motori Moderni engine, rather than old Alfa Romeo V8, but this never happened.

I have also some doubt about FA1F/2 (T-car in France and Great Britain) : I wonder if it's true or - as I guess - simply the usual FA1F/1 mistyped.

Ciao,
Guido

I have added what I have from Sheldon's Black Book Vol 12 and from Autosport. Maybe this only confuses the issues, as I can't find a single race where all agree on all cars. In Italy they can't even agree on drivers - Sheldon having missed the Berg - Caffi switch...

The price for most imagniative designations must go to Autosport for FA1G/85-H01, that may be taken to mean a FA1G of 1985 vintage, c/n 01, uprated to 'H' spec.... which, come to think about it, may well be the truth... so what then is a FA1G/85-A01?? (Did I hear someone say... Merzario...?)

I have added what Autosport said about Osella in their practice reports, which, to no one's great surprise, weren't that much... :

Brazil: Osella resurrected their old Alfa Romeo-powered FA1G chassis with two different bodywok options on each, although after considerable engine troubles throughout the weekend neither Christian Danner nor Piercarlo Ghinzani were too concerned about any differences between their chassis. Just keeping them running were their major concern.

Spain: At the back, not surprisingly, were the Osellas of Ghinzani and Danner, which at least circulated with reasonable regularity,...

San Marino: To no one's great suprise, the Osellas of Danner and Ghinzani wwere right at the back, Piercarlo losing any hope of improving in the last session when his engine quit after only half a lap. There was an incomplete version of the the Motori-Moderni engined Osella to be seen in the Italian team's pit, but its debut seems some way off...

Monaco: After the first day Piercarlo Ghinzani was into the top 20 with his venerable Osella-Alfa, very much a contender for any bravery award going, and I was sad that his 1-27.2 justs failed to get him in.

Belgium: And at the back, to no one's surprise, were the Osellas of Ghinzani (who blew up on his first Saturday run) and Danner (who blew up on his second Saturday... etc.) Christian's car was actually new, being the one intended to take the Motori Moderni V6, which Osella are currently unable to afford. For Spa, therefore, both cars were powered anew by the Alfa Romeo V8 - the engine which took de Cesaris into a far distant lead in this race only three years ago.

Canada: ...and the last four slots were filled by the Zakspeeds and the Osellas.

USA: No man in this business works so hard for so little as Piercarlo Ghinzani, and at Detroit he scored a small personal triumph by heading the Italian 'B' teams in qualifying, as brave as can be in the ratty Osella-Alfa.
Replacing Danner in the Osella team, Allen Berg looked frankly out of his depht during the opening day, but then who would choose that car and this circuit for their Formula 1 debut? However, the Canadian worked away, and on Saturday, running qualifiers for the first time, found more than eight seconds to move within a respecable three of Ghinzani. In doing so, he edged himself from the bottom of the lists,...

France: ...and the final row, to no one's surprise, comprised the Osellas of Piercarlo Ghinzani and Allen Berg. The young Canadian had a wretched introduction to Ricard, sitting out most of Friday morning after two fuel filters ruptured, and breaking a turbo almost at once in the afternoon.

Britain: Ghinzani's Osella was between the Zakspeeds, and team mate Berg, as ususal, was at the back. The young Canadian missed the final session altogether, having heavily shunted his car at Druids early in the Saturday morning session, causing it briefly to be stopped.

Germany: ...and the Osellas - as usual - were at the back. Piercarlo Ghinzani missed the first timed session (having blown up in the morning), and the luckless Allen Berg missed Saturday altogether. Having crashed on Friday afternoon, he needed new rear suspension bits for his car. The team had no spares with them, and replacement from Italy failed to arrive in time.

Hungary: Ghinzani did his usual sterling job in the ratty Osella-Alfa, proceeding smokingly to 23rd spot, but the luckless Berg was right at the back one more, his transmission breaking within a couple of hundred yards of the pits as he came out to begin the last session.

Austria: ...and at the back, inevitably, were the Osellas of Ghinzani and Berg.

Italy: Behind him on the grid were the Osellas of Piercarlo Ghinzani and ... Alex Caffi...
According to the entry list the second car should have been driven, as usual, by Allen Berg, but financial considerations came into play - and with them Caffi.
There were no complaints about the young Italian F3 man. Indeed, he did a competent job in the car, showed good track manners in keeping out of the way. But inevitably his inclusion in the team raised questions about FISA's Superlicence system. It is, M. Balestre, a strange one which lets in Caffi (even if he did win the FIA Trophy at Paul Ricard), and keeps out Michael Andretti, whom Carl Haas wanted to run at Detroit. Ah, but of course, he's a CART man, isn't he? And here was I, thinking that proven competence was the criterion...
Caffi, 27th fastest, theoretically failed to qualify. But rules in motor racing are malleable things, and after all he was an Italian in Italy. The other constructors raised no objections to his starting. Doubtless, they would have adopted the same Christian attitude if it had been wet on Saturday, when Alboreto has his one and only shot at qualifying...

Portugal: Ghinzani put on his usual display of unsung heroism in the Osella-Alfa, qualifying 24th, but Allen Berg - back in the team with Labatts backing for the rest of the year - was always the man most likely to miss the cut.

Mexico: Ghinzani and Berg brought up the rear with their Osellas, Ghinzani bettering Berg's best by 2.5secs, when the Canadian failed to improve on his time because of a broken throttle cable.

Australia: At the back, need it be said, were the Osella-Alfas of Ghinzani and Berg, Piercarlo blowing up on Friday before he had managed a single flying lap.

Advertisement

#20 Gert

Gert

• 209 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 10:46

Conjohn, Guido:
I wanted to add this to your tables, but when I use the "quote" button the table lay-out gets completely messed up (just one space between items) :|

It was mentioned somewhere how you could do it, but I can't find it back...

Could one of you PM or mail me with an explanation how to create a nice table or point me to that old thread? Thanks!

Anyway: data from the Autocourse Annual:

Car Specifications:
* Osella FA1F: number of chassis built: 2
* Osella FA1G: number of chassis built: 2
* Osella FA1H: number of chassis built: 2

Chassis Logbook:

Continued with 1985 models.
[FA1F]
For Ghinzani at Rio, Jerez, Imola, Monaco, Spa, Montreal and Detroit.
Spare car at Paul Ricard.
For Berg at Hockenheim, Budapest and the Österreichring.
For Caffi at Monza.
For Berg at Estoril, Mexico City and Adelaide.

[FA1G]
For Danner at Rio, Jerez, Imola and Monaco.
Spare car at Spa.
For Berg at Paul Ricard and Brands Hatch.
For Ghinzani at Hockenheim, Budapest, the Österreichring, Monza, Estoril, Mexico and Adelaide.

Introduced new design (FA1H) in Belgium.
[FA1H]
New for Danner at Spa.
For Danner at Montreal.
For Berg at Detroit.
For Ghinzani at Paul Ricard and Brands Hatch (crashed and written off)

#21 Gert

Gert

• 209 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:13

From Autocourse's Race-By-Race Overview:

Rio
Run two cars, Christian Danner joining Ghinzani who goes back to the team with which he made his Grand Prix debut.
Use Alfa Romeo engines while waiting for Motori Moderni units.
Old car for Ghinzani; more recent car for Danner.

Jerez
Nothing new.

Imola
Unveiled an unfinished chassis with new suspension (pullrod) and revised aerodynamics and bodywork.

Monaco
No sign of new car. Plans for use of Motori Moderni engine appeared to have fallen through.

Spa
Danner used older chassis in preference to new car which was completely unsorted. New car fitted with rear suspension similar to Lotus's 1985 specification.

Montreal
Did not use new car.

Detroit
No change.

Paul Ricard
Ghinzani raced new car.

Brands Hatch
Nothing new.

Hockenheim
Ghinzani's car fitted with the rear suspension and gearbox from new car destroyed at Brands Hatch.

Budapest
Modified bodywork and rear aerodynamics to make Ghinzani's car similar to new car destroyed at Brands Hatch.

the Österreichring
No change.

Monza
No change.

Estoril
* no comments for Osella this time *

Mexico
* no comments for Osella this time *

Adelaide
No changes. Enzo Osella absent.

#22 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 13:08

Originally posted by Gert
I wanted to add this to your tables, but when I use the "quote" button the table lay-out gets completely messed up (just one space between items) :|

A little trick: you can work on tables using Windows Notepad (or Microsoft Word using Courier font), then you paste and copy in your post inside a [ code ] [ /code ] tag (of course without spaces between brackets).

Thanks for your info!

Ciao,
Guido

#23 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 14:16

Originally posted by lotus79
But when I searced www.forix.com I saw two pictures of Osella cars in Imola in San Marino. One with Piercarlo Ghinzani and one with Christian Danner. According to Forix both the cars are FA1G's. But the two cars are very different. The car that Danner is driving looks alot like the FA1H, but that car made his debut in Paul Ricard with Ghinzani.

I always had a feeling that the most of the 1986 San Marino pictures on Forix were taken in testing, not actually during the Grand Prix weekend. Just take a look at the empty grandstands in some of the images! I don't know when the teams did test at Imola, but I suspect some time before the San Marino GP itself. (Perhaps we should ask the photographer! His E-mail address is gemp@comunic.it) BTW I checked the entry list on Forix and it has FA1F for Ghinzani and FA1G for Danner which seems to be correct.

#24 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 14:27

Originally posted by dolomite
Hodges' A-Z has this to say about the FA1H: 'First seen incomplete at the 1986 San Marino GP, complete for the Belgian GP but not raceworthy; raced in the French GP and crashed in the British GP and not seen again.' So your picture from San Marino does show this car, even though it didn't run on the track there.

I think you checked Hodges' "A-Z of Formula Racing Cars", but I have his newer "A-Z of Grand Prix Cars" which gives a more detailed view of the Osella machines.

FA1F: (...) One was brought out again in 1986, when Ghinzani failed to finish in his seven starts with it. Alan Berg managed three finishes in it, and Caffi drove to an unclassified finish at Monza.

FA1G: (...) The FA1G was driven by Christian Danner in five races, each time to retirement, and he failed to qualify at once. Berg drove it twice, Ghinzani seven times, to just one finish (eleventh in Austria).

FA1H: This short-lived car by Pedrotta was laid down for the Motori Moderni engine but was actually powered by the Alfa V8. (...) Danner qualified it twice in 1986, Berg once, Ghinzani twice. It did not finish a race, and was written off in a Brands Hatch crash.

#25 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 19:19

Originally posted by Geza Sury
I don't know when the teams did test at Imola, but I suspect some time before the San Marino GP itself.

Just before San Marino GP (April 17-20, 1986) there were tests at Imola, but according to Autosprint teams present were Benetton, Ligier, Lotus, Ferrari, Brabham and Minardi (so not Osella). In the same article there are also time scored in March (no more details about date), and there are only Williams, Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus, Benetton and Lola-Hass.
So if Osella did any test at Imola, it was in another occasion.

Ciao,
Guido

(from Autosprint 17/1986 page 9)

#26 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 16:28

Originally posted by gdecarli
Just before San Marino GP (April 17-20, 1986) there were tests at Imola, but according to Autosprint teams present were Benetton, Ligier, Lotus, Ferrari, Brabham and Minardi (so not Osella). In the same article there are also time scored in March (no more details about date), and there are only Williams, Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus, Benetton and Lola-Hass.
So if Osella did any test at Imola, it was in another occasion.

There used to be a one-week test session before the European season in the late 80s and early 90s with most of the teams participating, but it looks like in 1986, Osella didn't take part. Could this be a winter test then?

#27 HEROS

HEROS

• 239 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 13:39

There was Abarth then Abarth Osella and finally Osella. But I want to know when
began the history of Osella because I saw that the type PA1 was called Osella or
Abarth and finally Abarth Osella.

Can you give me some explanations ?

:confused:

#28 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 15:40

Enzo worked for Abarth and started modifying Abarths before calling them Osellas eventually.

#29 Lifeline

Lifeline

• 31 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 16:05

I was competing at Curborough on Sunday at the Owen Motor Club Graham Hill 40th aniversary Sprint and to my amazement there was an Osella Abarth in the Sports Libra class. This was 1973 vintage and incorporated PA1 front suspension and PA2 rear or so the owner told me. The car was beautiful but was simply too big for the tight confines of Curborough. I asked if he would do a straight swap for my Ralt, I would love to own one of those big group 6 sports cars.

#30 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 16:10

I think you will find that there is no definite line of distinction here. For a time in the mid-seventies, the cars were called Abarth or Osella according to the mood of the reporting journalists...

#31 tom1971

tom1971

• 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 15:53

Osella leads the Abarth-Osella Worksteam since 1969 . Later Fiat took over Abarth and Osella founds his own team. The first F2 car raced in 1975 .
Here the pics of the FA2/75 and the FA2/76 (Drivers are Francia / Migault)

Posted Image

#32 jadb1

jadb1

• 404 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 15:41

The one who is the pilot in the Osella??

Posted Image
Unknown author

#33 bretonbanquet

bretonbanquet

• 56 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 18:24

It looks a bit like an FA1F, in testing, but that doesn't look much like any of their regular drivers...

#34 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 19:34

It's really hard to tell in that view. Ghinzani was the Osella regular for several years, it could be him. Overalls look sponsorship free, pitlane appears empty, so probably a test. Caffi?

#35 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 19:39

If indeed it is a testing picture, then how about Miguel-Angel Guerra?

Mark

#36 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 19:53

Definitely a FA1F.. the only Osella driver that comes to mind with a mostly white helmet is Christian Danner??

#37 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 20:01

I don't know the driver either, but is it Alessandro Nannini, who is standing in the right side of the picture?

#38 seruga

seruga

• 22 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 20:18

Es Juan Manuel Fangio ll Test Osella 1984

#39 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 20:49

Well, from what I remember the helmet is the right livery for Juan - white with red on the lower half.

This is how the Osella ran in 1984 with the Milde Sorte (or Emco at the non-ciggie races) branding on Jo's car...

Posted Image

...but Ghinza's was different...

Posted Image

...and is the same as the one in the 'mystery' pic, making it definitely 1984 I'd say.

But I just wonder if the Fondmetal logo on the nose where the number usually was is a clue...?

Advertisement

#40 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 20:56

Originally posted by seruga
Es Juan Manuel Fangio ll Test Osella 1984

I think you're right. The red cuffs on the driver's overalls ring a vague bell for some strange reason...

Mark

#41 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 21:01

Could it be Mauro Baldi in the winter of 1983/4 :confused: The Marlboro logo on the helmet and the red & white overalls may well have been left-overs from his time with Alfa, and were being used while he was searching for a drive in 1984.

#42 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 23:48

Defineately an 84 car because of the winglets. I've never heard of Mauro driving the car, altho he was linked with them in the 85/86 off season, so I reckon it might well be JMF. Where did the picture come from? That might help us. Is it the Mugello pitlane? For sure it aint Caffi, Danner or Guerra.

You'd think I'd remember :p

#43 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 10:41

Beppe Gabbiani?????????

#44 jadb1

jadb1

• 404 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 19:26

Friends if he is Juan Manuel Fangio Jr proving an alone osella it was a test the friend SERUGA it wise since it informs with me in Thef1.com there hagia put I the same photo from already thank you friends

#45 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 14:17

At least thats straight then. JM-F 3 raced F3000 the next year in Europe then dissapeared off to ARS & IMSA. Reckon with his family name he would have got in F1 nowadays?

#46 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 15:11

Juan is a good friend of mine. He suffered with that Lola in F-3000 (he reckoned that the car was a "brick") and then went out to USA. He enjoyed more the atmosphere in the States' motorsport, and settled there. He still have his condominium in Brickell Avenue, in Miami.
And no, he didn't regret not making it to Formula 1. I was there when he won his first IMSA GTP title with Dan Gurney's Eagle Toyota, and for him it was a pretty good remark, considering he was 36 by then.

#47 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:28

Perhaps he has a name too heavy...

Before winning IMSA Championship (1992 and 1993) did he run also F. Indy at the end of the 80s?

#48 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 14:33

Not before, but after. He did some racing in the ARS series (later called Indy Lights), and after the IMSA experience, he tested two years with the All American Racers Team and his Eagle-Toyota. He raced in 1995 in Mid-Ohio with the Pac-West team (I was there!) and then started the 1996 season in Homestead (I was there too!) with the underpowered Toyota car. He quitted in 1997, and made a last season in South American Super Touring in 1998, a not good one season.

#49 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 16:44

:up:

And now? Is he still involved in some racing project?

I think I saw him in a F. 3000 race at Vallelunga circuit in 198... :confused: 1988? Was his helmet white and red?

#50 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 00:24

He is living in the country... perfectly safe (and, I must say, with a new partner). He has no racing project, except for doing the Goodwood stuff.