Photo

Marlboro Team Tiga

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 13:10

Has anyone got a listing of drivers for the above mentioned Team.
I'm trying to identify the driver in the photo with not much luck.I thought possibly Phillip Bullman, but cannot find any record of him driving a Unipart March

Many thanks in advance!!
Paul.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 FLB

FLB

• 29,563 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 13:57

What year was the picture taken? What championship (Vandervell F3?) was this race part of?

Nigel Mansell was the Unipart driver in 1979 when he broke his vertebrae late in the season. Was he ever replaced for a race?

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 14:04

It is Phil Bullman BUT he is pictured driving a Unipart March not for Marlboro Team Tiga.

The event is the BP F3 Champ Race at Brands on Sat 15th July 1978.

The other cars in the picture are:

5 - Jim Crawford - Chevron-Toyota - Entered by Toyota GB
60 - Bertam Schafer - Ralt-BMW - Entered by Zimmermann Racing Cologne
31 - Rob Wilson - Ralt-Toyota - Entered by International Computers Ltd-Royal Grafton China
35 - John Stokes - Chevron-Toyota - Entered by the driver
28 - Derek Lawrence - Chevron-Chevrolet - Entered by the driver

In the race car number 4 was driven by Andrea Di Cesaris (please note this is the programme spelling), it was a Ralt-Toyota entered by Marlboro Team Tiga.

Hope that helps!

#4 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 14:34

Thankyou Steve,
My apologies, as i posted the wrong picture. Here is the one that was supposed to appear. I believe in this photo, Brett Riley is the pilot of the Unipart March.
Very helpful info though.Appreciate that, thanks.

Paul.
Posted Image

#5 andrea

andrea

• 630 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 15:48

Originally posted by Scuderia SSS
Thankyou Steve,
My apologies, as i posted the wrong picture. Here is the one that was supposed to appear. I believe in this photo, Brett Riley is the pilot of the Unipart March.
Very helpful info though.Appreciate that, thanks.

Paul.
Posted Image

No, it is Andrea de Cesaris.

Forza Andrea,

#6 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 17:54

Posted Image

You are correct.

Brett is headed by de Cesaris, and leads Roberto Guerrero and Eddie Jordan, on the Silverstone GP circuit (Woodcote chicane). The 1979 British GP support race?

#7 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 18:22

Not sure on all the dates and places Stuart. Everything is all mixed up in a box. Am trying to sort through all the photos and negatives as we speak.
Oh, just a note to say, i do own the copyright to the photos already posted.Dont want to cause any probs with curious Mods.
Most of the photos i have are of Brett Riley,Ian Taylor,Tiff Needell,Tony Dron,Dick Parsons and Trevor Van Rooyen, but fortunately some odd ones of people like Cesaris are becoming apparent. :)

#8 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 18:52

I'd love to see some pictures of Dick Parsons (a greatly underrated driver IMHO).

#9 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 18:54

Most of the photos i have are of Brett Riley,Ian Taylor,Tiff Needell,Tony Dron,Dick Parsons and Trevor Van Rooyen, but fortunately some odd ones of people like Cesaris are becoming apparent. :)

Ones you recently won on eBay, then...  ;)

#10 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 19:01

Stuart is right about Andrea de Cesaris being the driver you wanted to know. Under Marlboro funding Tiga ran him for 2 years in 1978 in a Ralt RT1 and in 1979 in a March 793. Tiga also ran Eje Elge in a March 792 Forumla 2 car. They also ran James Weaver in a non Marlboro funded Tiga in Formula Ford. This info came from Howden Ganley.

#11 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 19:10

Originally posted by Twin Window
Ones you recently won on eBay, then...  ;)

About 3 months ago yes Stuart.
An amazing plethera of original photos and negatives etc. Have spent the last 3 months working out who the bloody hell is who...lol.
Have had some incredible help from Mo Nunn though..even whilst he has been on the road!

#12 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 20:14

Have had some incredible help from Mo Nunn though...

Why am I not surprised by that...?

Eje in F2, at Thruxton in 1979;

Posted Image

:up:

#13 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 20:42

Thats a nice story Stuart. A good read.
Unfortunately, i'm not old enough to have shared experiences like that with too many people. Have met a fair few and shared some personal time with them ( I think sitting with Patty Mclaren for a fair part of an evening was cool for me).
Its funny the people you meet sometimes and how they treat you, especially if you dont know exactly who they are. I think they prefer that sometimes...gives them a chance to be much more down to earth and at ease.
I remember going to Syon Park for the Lamborghini Uk meet with a friend John Gorbould who at the time had a very nice recently restored Espada. Whilst at the event, i was encouraged by this rather excecutive character to buy a raffle ticket. I only had a pound to spare (going to numerous car meets and track days diminished my funds). He bought several pages of tickets, and to my surprise when the raffle was called, my lonesome ticket had won me a very nice bottle of Lamborghini Red wine .....nice...even nicer was that this guy who encouraged me to buy one unfortunately won zilch.
Anyway, at another event at Goodwood i met this guy again. This time he was there with his Muira. Funnily the Muira that i had photographed at the London meet and happened to have a nice enlargement with me at Goodwood. I showed him the pic and he was very impressed. Said it was the best photo that he had ever seen to show the colour at its best ( lime green). he bought the enlargement for £45 from me and let me park his Muira!!!
Turned out this guy was Piet Pulford the MILLIONAIRE Dutch businessman , well known for his passion for Lamborghini cars, and new owner of the late Who star John Entwistle's mansion.
What a nice guy he was. Had he have thought i knew who he was, maybe he wouldnt have been so accomodating...? i dont know, but it chuffed me to bits anyway.

#14 philip bullman

philip bullman

• 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:36

Has anyone got a listing of drivers for the above mentioned Team.
I'm trying to identify the driver in the photo with not much luck.I thought possibly Phillip Bullman, but cannot find any record of him driving a Unipart March

Many thanks in advance!!
Paul.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hi Paul

You are correct, I did 1 race with the unipart team, not a great one it was at Brands Hatch, the photo is of the warm up lap, this was the race where Piquet and Warwick clashed at the first corner and wiped out most of the grid me included, it was just a one off, Nigel mansel drove later that year I also think Bret Riley was in as well as Tiff who was in for most of the season.
Regards

Philip Bullman

#15 paulsenna1

paulsenna1

• 264 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 18:35

Hi Philip,

It's wonderful to 'see' you here! I've great memories of you in 70s Formula Ford, FF2000 and F3.

You were always on the pace and your cars were always immaculately prepared and presented.

I would love to hear any anecdotes you have from those times.

Cheers

Paul.

#16 Tony Kingston

Tony Kingston

• 77 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:45

TwinWindow, I don't think that is the '79 GP support race because Mike Thackwell would be in the frame. Andrea led from the start until the fuel pump failed, Mike then took the lead and the victory.

#17 solera205

solera205

• 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:51

hello, i have been looking for data, set up sheets, build specs of the unipart f3 march car, the reason for this is that my college has possesion of one! the car was gratefully handed over, shamefully the car has no identification plate, so i cant trace the chassis, although the engine number and gearbox numbers are still present, we're aiming to restore this once competetive car, but we have no idea which spec or regs to build it to, i would be so happy if you could help me and my fellow students by telling us info or telling us who to ask.. thanks Alberto

#18 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 13:04

Alberto, when you say your colleague has possession of a Unipart F3 March, can you be more specific.

The team ran a March 763 in 1976, which was also used, and often called a '773', in 1977. In addition there was also a 'real' 773 in 1977, which sometimes came out in 1978. The main cars for 1978 were 2 new 783s, which may or may not have been updated to '793s' in 1979. That year the team again ran 2 cars, which now appear to have been 'real' 793s, not updated 783s.

Which car does your colleague have ?