Photo

Brands Hatch this weekend

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:17

Anyone going? I'll be there & I know Cirrus will too. Anyone else? I'll be there for scrutineering from about 8am.

Advertisement

#2 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,173 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 20:22

I'll be there on the Sunday along with a load of Lotus enthusiasts. (unfortunatly not bringing the Lotus as bringing the Family along).

#3 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 20:34

I'm strugging along on Saturday in the Morris Minor and with friends on Sunday in something more reliable.

David

#4 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:17

How did you and the Nike do on Saturday Gary ? Anyone any nice pictures of the HSCC Superprix ? Sorry I couldn't get along.

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:17

Richard, I had the most dismal weekend. I just drove the car slower and slower and slower !! I need some serious seat time at the moment, I think.
It was a good weekend though, the GP Masters F1 cars were good, although it lacked a certain Lotus 72 in the race on Saturday afternoon (& you know how much I like THAT car!). Photos to follow....

#6 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:40

Originally posted by Gary C
Richard, I had the most dismal weekend. I just drove the car slower and slower and slower !! I need some serious seat time at the moment, I think.
It was a good weekend though, the GP Masters F1 cars were good, although it lacked a certain Lotus 72 in the race on Saturday afternoon (& you know how much I like THAT car!). Photos to follow....

How did the Amon go in the GP Masters?

#7 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,173 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:49

Originally posted by David Beard

How did the Amon go in the GP Masters?

I wasn't there for Saturdays race so no idea on that but on the Sunday it was doing okay (in 4th) but then when the safety car was out quite early in the race it pulled off and retired.

#8 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:04

I took mostly paddock shots. A great day yesterday and much better than the weather forecast suggested!

Peter Dunn's F5000 March ( ex- Nick Crossley perhaps?)
Posted Image

Tony Trimmer re-united with his faithful Lola T332. On pole by 1.2 secs in the DBT and race winner.
Does anyone alive know Brands better? His mechanic Dave Finnigan in blue shirt.
Posted Image

Ratio change and rear end maintenance on Barbot's Bonnier liveried T70 MkIIIB.
Posted Image

Tony Smith brought the Dino in during practice thinking he had received a black flag. He had not, however they took the opportunity to quickly check a few things over.
Posted Image

Busy in the 'Ecurie Hadfield' paddock area. Simon in the red shirt to the right.
L-R Small's BT30, Sharples' B29, Tilley's Modus & Monson's VDS B28
Posted Image

The Mike Hibberd FJ paddock area, including a 23B.
Posted Image

David Brown in his ex-Eiffelland 721. Almost 70 years young and looking forward to Monaco in this car.
Posted Image

FJ Volpini of Michael Ashley-Brown.
Posted Image

Rare and on loan from the Donington museum at the Grand Prix Masters hospitality in the inner paddock.
Posted Image

Chris Lillingston-Price's unclothed Tecno T70.
Posted Image

Rare Dulon-Porsche LD11P of Keith Martin (sitting at rear of picture)
Posted Image

Lord Drayson's Lotus.
Posted Image

#9 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:06

A few photographs I took over the weekend at this excellent meeting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

David

#10 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 14:29

Lovely photographs Chaps !

#11 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 15:25

Great photos! I was there on the Saturday but looks like I missed quite a few other cars.

Enjoyable day, especially seeing some changing conditions.

#12 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,173 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 18:06

These pictures are going to look terrible compared to Davids :)

But here's a few I took.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 18:09

Originally posted by David Lawson
A few photographs I took over the weekend at this excellent meeting.

Posted Image

David

Wonderful :love:

#14 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:43

Awesome photos, thank you for sharing them. You guys are good!

#15 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:58

I sadly had to pull my entry but looking at the WSM photo's I am now very tempted to enter the 4th June meeting that they have

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 16:13

TNF is an excellent way of seeing things of relevance from meetings that you might have missed. Thanks all you photographers.

Am I alone in thinking that the blue on the Unipart March 783 in David's photo is too light- it makes the whole car look wrong.

#17 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 16:19

Originally posted by Alan Cox

Am I alone in thinking that the blue on the Unipart March 783 in David's photo is too light- it makes the whole car look wrong.

Yes much too light............and that giant rollover hoop looks hideous, over zealous scrutineers disfigure so many cars .

#18 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:21

Originally posted by Alan Cox
TNF is an excellent way of seeing things of relevance from meetings that you might have missed. Thanks all you photographers.

Agreed men, but is it a 783 or 793 ???

#19 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:16

It's listed in the programme as a 793

David

Advertisement

#20 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:49

Originally posted by RTH
....and that giant rollover hoop looks hideous, over zealous scrutineers disfigure so many cars .

I'm not sure that John Bladon would agree after what he managed to do in his Merlyn. I reckon he is pretty keen on his roll hoop now...

#21 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 13:39

Originally posted by BRG
I'm not sure that John Bladon would agree after what he managed to do in his Merlyn. I reckon he is pretty keen on his roll hoop now...

Oh sure it's got to be above the driver's head and strong. The standard forward braced March roll hoops at the time were always the best in the business anyway.
They can be made with tighter radius' and look more aesthetically pleasing on a scale with the car than some of the ugly add ons we have seen recently. Better if drivers take out seats and reduce backrests and pedal position to sit much lower in the car in the first place for all sorts of good reasons

The irony is the current F1 cars have their plastic hoops a very long way back, their rules were breached on a technicality by Jordan and Williams many years ago. Presently I believe they are outside the spirit of there own rules if within the letter and I don't think they afford anything like enough margin of protection thankfully we have not seen an accident to test this area for a long time. . You may remember a roll over , Pedro Lamy I think when the roll hoop broke off completely , yet nothing was done to beef up the regulations. I think it's a bad outcome waiting to happen.

#22 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 13:55

slightly off subject but next weekend (20th May) those of you not traipsing up to HSCC 40th anniversary meeting shoudl come and see the historic race supporting the WTCC. I am out in a Lotus Cortina but the grid includes 2 Shelby Cobra's, a GT40, 3 Alfa GTA's and 3 Lotus Cortina's along with Mini Cooper etc. The race is handicapped so slowest pole. Two races on teh Sunday with most of the quallys on Friday and one on Saturday. 26 cars on teh grid.

#23 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 15:38

I realised that I forgot to post a photograph of Gary at this meeting so here he is in action along with a few more from the weekend.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

David

#24 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 19:14

Hmmmm............Gary's got a new helmet; Robs Lamplough's Lotus 33 looks odd with 15" wobblies on the back and what appear to be 13" 5-spoke on the front; that's the first photo I've seen of Tony Smith's Ferrari with the V6 engine fitted for Monaco - pity they couldn't have redone the nose to the correct shape while it was in the workshop.

And in the results have Mike Wrigley in a Hesketh 308E in the GP Masters, whereas it's actually a 308C with an odd wingless nose.

Paul M

#25 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,173 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 20:26

Originally posted by simon drabble
slightly off subject but next weekend (20th May) those of you not traipsing up to HSCC 40th anniversary meeting shoudl come and see the historic race supporting the WTCC. I am out in a Lotus Cortina but the grid includes 2 Shelby Cobra's, a GT40, 3 Alfa GTA's and 3 Lotus Cortina's along with Mini Cooper etc. The race is handicapped so slowest pole. Two races on teh Sunday with most of the quallys on Friday and one on Saturday. 26 cars on teh grid.

:wave: I'll be there on the Sunday.

#26 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 20:35

Originally posted by David Lawson

Posted Image

David

Sorry I wasn't smiling for the camera David - that's me at the back having just taken my Dino shots posted earlier in this thread!

#27 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 20:39

Originally posted by Macca

And in the results have Mike Wrigley in a Hesketh 308E in the GP Masters, whereas it's actually a 308C with an odd wingless nose.

That is Mike Wrigley trying out the Amon for size.

#28 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:46

Yes, Gary does have a new helmet, but not out of choice!

Apparently someone has given birth to a regulation that outlawed the lid Gary was using for the last couple of years so a new one, at ludicrous expense was mandatory.

Expensive business, this motor racing.

BTW, I wish the guy with the Eifelland March would paint it in the full blue and white colours....

#29 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:27

This is one of many similar rip off rules that is killing club racing.

#30 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:45

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

That is Mike Wrigley trying out the Amon for size.

Chaps who/what won this race ?

#31 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:51

Saturday race Chris Perkins TS16 from Wrigley's 308E.
Sunday Wrigley from Peter Williams' 761.

The DBT 'libre' race won by Trimmer T332 from Lyons' Eagle.

#32 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:52

Originally posted by Mark A
These pictures are going to look terrible compared to Davids :)

Posted Image

This was the shot I meant, Andrew; the car on the outside of the second row. What looks like an intake on the nose is the word 'Hesketh', but I thought the 308C always ran with a wing stuck out the front.

Paul M

#33 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:12

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Saturday race Chris Perkins TS16 from Wrigley's 308E.
Sunday Wrigley from Peter Williams' 761.

The DBT 'libre' race won by Trimmer T332 from Lyons' Eagle.

Thanks Andrew. First ever win for a TS16 and 308C ??

#34 rwhitworth

rwhitworth

• 145 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 13:50

My pics from Saturday are here:

http://homepage.ntlw...HSCC/index.html

#35 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 17:20

Just got this photo of Motor Sport magazine’s chief letter writer, Keith Martin, in his Dulon

Posted Image

He says….

We had a great time last weekend at the Brands Hatch “Super Prix” on the GP circuit, 34 years after I acted as mechanic to Martin Ridehalgh and Herve Leguellec at the BOAC 1000kms on the same car and at the same circuit (using the same spanners !). Car still going strong – even managed to hold off a GT40 !
I was delighted to receive a trophy in honour of Jo Siffert whom I remember very well as a hard charger in both sports and GP cars. Sadly I was at his last race at Brands Hatch in 1971 but still smile at the memory of his start in the BRM – foot hard down and car half on the grass all the way to Paddock !
Apart from that Brands has many happy memories – Magnificent to drive on – seemingly flowing better the faster you go. Must feel good to get it right !

#36 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 19:43

Originally posted by rwhitworth
My pics from Saturday are here:

http://homepage.ntlw...HSCC/index.html

Super photographs, Russell. The Lotus Cortina shots are great!

#37 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 23:10

Originally posted by RTH

Yes much too light...

Agreed. And the Texaco logo on the front of the Lotus 72's cockpit is waaaay too big!

Originally posted by Barry Boor

BTW, I wish the guy with the Eifelland March would paint it in the full blue and white colours....

I'm not really 100% about this, but I think that's pretty much how the car was when Wattie raced it at Brands in the 1972 Victory Race - ie more blue than during the GP season with Stommelen at the helm, and devoid of the periscope mirror & forward-ducted air intake. However, he also drove it previously at Phoenix Park, when it was in late-season Stommelen spec.