Photo

What's happened to www.racingcircuits.net?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:14

I was browsing it last night and suddenly it went offline. It's still offline today. It was definitely a useful resource; one of my favourite websites generally. Does anyone know what's happened to it?

Sorry if this has been posted in one of the other sections, I only visit TNF.

Advertisement

#2 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 13:13

I would second that request....same for me , I was checking out the "Avus" pages last night ( I was just back from Berlin where I had a ride on it ;) ) and this morning , nothing more.....

#3 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 13:28

I was under the impression the site was fully paid up and staying online until 2008.

#4 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 13:34

He's a member of the forum. Perhaps we should contact him?

http://forums.atlasf...nfo&userid=7421

EDIT: Contacted him via email.

#5 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 16:37

The email failed to send. I fear that he's gone and cancelled his webspace or something. :(

#6 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 21:49

I think that Dan put the site up for auction last year with a closing date in November, but it went very quiet after that. Have been waiting for news of what ws going to happen since it is a very good resource. :(

#7 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 22:04

I would happily take over, but I wouldn't "buy" the site. I'd just assume the role of webmaster.

#8 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 23:32

For those who don't know, you can continue to access the content of some of those lost sites via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine

#9 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 23:39

Originally posted by LittleChris
I think that Dan put the site up for auction last year with a closing date in November, but it went very quiet after that. Have been waiting for news of what ws going to happen since it is a very good resource. :(

Yes, I believe this is what has taken place. I just visited a day or so ago.

Anyone who does not maintain a site can not appreciate the time and effort needed. It takes hours each day just to keep things fresh!

Unique non-profit sites are a God send.

Henry

#10 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:57

I'm just slightly worried as half of my site is hosted on his server and he hadn't told me he was cancelling...... I might need to move some of my data ASAP.

#11 stefan_teitge

stefan_teitge

• 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 22:51

As you might have noticed racingcircuits.net, a great nostalgica source has gone. As this site always was good source for me and many others I want to keep it running on my page sportsracing.de . So I need some help: Does anyone know the author's name or better his email addy?
Please help!

#12 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 00:36

As far as I know, he´s been looking for someone to take over the running of his site, as he didn´t have the time to do it himself anymore.
A sad thing too, as this was a great source of information and knowledge.

There must be someone around here with the necessary webmastering skills ready to relaunch the site!

Here´s hoping...

#13 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:11

Good news possibly?

Originally posted by crozier74 at Ten Tenths
As far as I know he did find a buyer. Maybe it's a bit early to jump to conclusions - on a positive note perhaps the new owner has taken the site down to restructure it before a relaunch?

#14 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:34

Then I guess, or hope, what has propably happened is that the new owner have a new provider and the nameserver data has not been updated yet. But normally you would see changes in the WHOIS database, unfortunately it is not there.

#15 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 21:41

Looks like someone downloaded the whole site at the point it disappeared from it's original place on the web, whether with Dan Kings permission ( And various contributors ) or not.

http://ellis.v12raci...racingcircuits/

#16 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:03

Originally posted by LittleChris
Looks like someone downloaded the whole site at the point it disappeared from it's original place on the web, whether with Dan Kings permission ( And various contributors ) or not.

http://ellis.v12raci...racingcircuits/

As far as I know, there's no permission from Daniel King for uploading his website to an other space. However, a number of people from the 10-tenths' forum tried to contact him, but all failed. We concluded that someone would keep the site online, but refrain from updating it. Check out this thread for the discussion.